Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Key state by key state looking in detail at how tomorrow’s bat

Comments

• Options

Mr. Meeks, not the case. May's failure is of her own making. Nobody make her create and abandon red lines, nor was she compelled to agree to the idiotic EU schedule, nor to submit to the idea of a backstop.

Even triggering Article 50 before she was ready was her mistake, as was calling a needless election and throwing away a 20 point lead.

The red lines were drawn up by the referendum campaign. Leavers get to be unpleasant to foreigners. They don't get to insist on Britain being outside a customs union.
  • Options
    Mr. Root, even allowing for that, 12-15 points was entirely plausible as a sustained lead.

Mr. B, one might argue the same of North Korea.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Republicans hold the House tomorrow. I always thought talk of an easy Democrat win was a bit overblown.

The latest House poll has the Democrats ahead by 8% ie exactly the same popular vote lead as the GOP had in 2010 the last time the House changed hands.

Trump's approval rating is 43%, the average gain for an opposition party since WW2 with a President' s approval rating under 50% has been 37 House seats ie clearly above the 23 they need for control.

Talk of a Democratic landslide has been overblown but your puffing up the GOP holding the House is also overblown
    Indeed. It is worth noting that despite a headline in the Independent based on one single poll the Dems overall polling lead over the last 24 hours has not shifted from the 8% average lead it seems to have stood at for few weeks. The 538 probability that the Republicans retain the House is only 1 in 7 and that is only achieved by factoring in the remaining possibility of a general systemic polling error rather than an independent set of random upsets in swing seats.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    AndyJS said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Republicans hold the House tomorrow. I always thought talk of an easy Democrat win was a bit overblown.

What's the weather like on your planet ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Boris says May's 'appalling deal' will see control lost 'for ever and not just for Christmas' as he and Mogg and Davis lead the revolt to her Customs Union plan

https://mobile.twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1059340776415600640

Johnson is a moron. Rees is a twerp.
    Jacob Rees-Mogg predicted we'd be a trillion quid better off on WTO terms. This is different from Boris or Davis who just have a vague idea the EU is imperfect in some way...
    When inventing figures he's a couple of orders of magnitude more ambitious ?

The £350m claim was no more vague than Mogg's.
  • Options

Mr. Root, even allowing for that, 12-15 points was entirely plausible as a sustained lead.

Mr. B, one might argue the same of North Korea.

Yes, one might.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

FF43 said:

malcolmg said:

Dacre:

Dacre said there was an ever-growing gap between London-based journalists and the views of the general public. He said: “They aren’t obsessing over #MeToo, or transgender rights, or equal pay for BBC journalists. And they do like Mrs May and think she’s doing a job in difficult circumstances.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/nov/04/paul-dacre-ex-daily-mail-liberal-brexit-hating-media-speech?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

My intelligence, via extended family and friends from the boondocks, is that the latter point is correct. Out in the counties, away from the metro and uni cities, May is seen as doing her best in a difficult and troubled situation.
    Does not make her any less crap unfortunately.
    I think she's doing her best too, and her spin operation is underrated - the country is now pretty convinced that "No deal" is a bad idea, and opponents have not really explained that there is a difference between"No deal and basic trade relations" (likely if talks fail) and "No deal AT ALL" (planes stop flying, food shortages, etc. - of course not). That's why I think she'll get any old deal through Parliament.

However, if you asked the same people "Do you think she's a good PM?" you might get a different answer.
    The British have not so far accepted that Brexit negotiations are entirely about damage limitation where the result is guaranteed to be worse than what we had before, the only question being how much worse. They don't think they voted to make things worse, obviously.
    It is in the end the leavers who have failed to create a sensible narrative to convince the country the future will be better. TM gave the leavers the opportunity to negotiate a good deal and they spectacularly failed. Now damage limitation is all that is left.

As leavers say you should respect the voters. The voters have sat and watched and not been impressed. A Swiss solution appears to be looming except outside Schengen and inside the customs union.
    Leavers won the referendum precisely because they deliberately didn't create a roadmap for Brexit. People could then project all their hopes and fears onto s simple Leave vote. Someone then has to deal with all the contradictions set up by that approach. Neither Leavers nor Remainers, who think the project entirely misconceived, were prepared to do that. Mrs May was the only politician who tried to square the circle, with predictably poor results.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

kle4 said:

Mr. Root, *raises an eyebrow*

If you could show me past evidence or present reason to have confidence in May, I'd be delighted to see it.

My prediction at the end of last year was:

"Theresa May is using tactics without strategy. Politically, that serves her quite well, even if it isn’t good for the country. Despite caving in on more or less everything, the media coverage of her initial deal was excellent and her opponents on all sides were discomfited. Aside from a few rumblings from those Leavers whose preferred version of Brexit would be tectonic, she carried all before her at home.

We can expect to see the same trick repeated. Since the government has no strategy and no deal is worse than a bad deal, a bad deal will be done, substantially on the EU’s terms. This time the risk of hardliners opposing the deal will be much greater. There seems, however, to be a majority in the House of Commons for a bad deal. So I expect that a bad deal will be done and Theresa May will again look like a winner.

Much of the year will be taken up with alarums, excursions and brouhahas on the Brexit negotiations. We should ignore them all. We won’t."

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/12/27/alastair-meeks-and-his-predictions-for-2018/

I'm still feeling ok about that one.
    That requires Labour to vote for a bad deal.....
    I still find that hard to believe but I hope enough do. Time to move to the next phase.
    It's the biggest issue for me around Brexit. Will Corbyn sink any negotiated outcome, blaming May for "a deal the UK should not and cannot accept" - as his road-map to an election? If so, will it backfire - and Labour own any resulting No Deal?
    Corbyn will vote against, the question is whether Labour rebels will save May.

It was interesting that Blair spoke out recently telling Remainer MPs to vote down any deal. Other than that, the People's Vote crowd has been utterly useless on this front. There's no possible route to a second referendum if May gets a deal through parliament, but they despise Corbyn so much that they're unwilling to make common cause with him in putting pressure on Labour MPs not to vote for a deal.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

TM gave the leavers the opportunity to negotiate a good deal....

When the diaries come out, this oft-stated position will require some significant revision.
    Indeed you are right. The sheer scale of the Brexiteers’ incompetence, delusion and hubris has yet to be put adequately to the record.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

BBC report on the midterms:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45013748

The interesting bit for me was that the Republicans haven’t had a lead in the generic ballot from 1982 to the present date. Which perhaps gives a clue about who benefits most from gerrymandering...

That chart is a load of bollocks. There's been plenty of times the GOP has lead the generic ballot.
    At the midterms ?
    The GOP led the popular vote in the 1994, 2002, 2010 and 2014 midterms
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Mr. Meeks, not the case. May's failure is of her own making. Nobody make her create and abandon red lines, nor was she compelled to agree to the idiotic EU schedule, nor to submit to the idea of a backstop.

Even triggering Article 50 before she was ready was her mistake, as was calling a needless election and throwing away a 20 point lead.

the 20 pt lead never existed imho. it was polling bullshit
    A 20 pt lead which the PB Tories salivated over endlessly. #schadenfreude
  • Options

Some tweets require further explanation. Some, I fear, are incapable of further explanation:

https://twitter.com/dianabutlerbass/status/1058950301271486465

Seems a shame to limit it to a single word when there's ****, ***** and indeed ***** ****** ******* ********.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

kle4 said:

If you could show me past evidence or present reason to have confidence in May, I'd be delighted to see it.

"Theresa May is using tactics without strategy. Politically, that serves her quite well, even if it isn’t good for the country. Despite caving in on more or less everything, the media coverage of her initial deal was excellent and her opponents on all sides were discomfited. Aside from a few rumblings from those Leavers whose preferred version of Brexit would be tectonic, she carried all before her at home.

We can expect to see the same trick repeated. Since the government has no strategy and no deal is worse than a bad deal, a bad deal will be done, substantially on the EU’s terms. This time the risk of hardliners opposing the deal will be much greater. There seems, however, to be a majority in the House of Commons for a bad deal. So I expect that a bad deal will be done and Theresa May will again look like a winner.

Much of the year will be taken up with alarums, excursions and brouhahas on the Brexit negotiations. We should ignore them all. We won’t."

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/12/27/alastair-meeks-and-his-predictions-for-2018/

I still find that hard to believe but I hope enough do. Time to move to the next phase.
    It's the biggest issue for me around Brexit. Will Corbyn sink any negotiated outcome, blaming May for "a deal the UK should not and cannot accept" - as his road-map to an election? If so, will it backfire - and Labour own any resulting No Deal?
    May is effectively adopting Corbyn's 'stay in the Customs Union' Brexit anyway and we know significant numbers of Labour MPs have also said they will vote for such a Withdrawal Agreement plan like Nandy and Flint.

Corbyn will still oppose Chequers at the basis of the future economic relationship after the transition period and oppose the government in confidence votes but that is a different matter
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    DavidL said:

Interesting if ultimately equivocal article about Florida in the Tampa Bay Times: http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/11/04/floridas-2018-election-is-a-game-changer/

Among the stats is that young voters make up a majority in Fl this time and amongst the youngest whites are a minority. What is also very noticeable is how important Trump may prove to be in the very close races for Senator and governor. Like a lot of America Fl has been doing rather well since his election.

One final point is that like Beto in Texas the Dems seem to have gone for much more full on liberal candidates than the traditional moderates appealing to swing voters. Such a policy may help with motivating their base but what will those independents do? I think that the Dems risk being found to have been a little self indulgent in their selections after the event.

There is an argue that the Democrats failure in recent years is because they are too busy trying to be moderate in order to appeal to Republicans rather than being radical and motivating potential supporters to register and vote.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

the 20 pt lead never existed imho. it was polling bullshit
    I think it was real actually. If the election had been held the day after May announced it, I think she'd have won a landslide.

But the campaign gave Corbyn a chance to get his positions across, and May a chance to make a few errors, and that changed everything.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994
    Anazina said:

One of the most irritating PB mini memes, up there with ‘first like Mrs May’, ‘colour me xxx’ and ‘oh wait’.

None of them compare to "+1" which is the weapon of choice for those with nothing to say but a burning need to say it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Dura_Ace said:

Anazina said:

One of the most irritating PB mini memes, up there with ‘first like Mrs May’, ‘colour me xxx’ and ‘oh wait’.

None of them compare to "+1" which is the weapon of choice for those with nothing to say but a burning need to say it.
    +1 to that!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620

Some tweets require further explanation. Some, I fear, are incapable of further explanation:

Seems a shame to limit it to a single word when there's ****, ***** and indeed ***** ****** ******* ********.
    Please can someone at least give me a clue as to what either the sign on the tweet means? Anything will do.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Anazina said:

Harsh (coming from someone who has done it a few times). I have got something say, it is just someone has done it before me and usually much better.
  • Options

If she hadn't called the election we'd be having one in 2020 in the transition period and you probably wouldn't be getting any sort of Brexit. So enjoy your Brexit no matter how fucking shit it is because it's the only one you're getting.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Anazina said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not enough Labour MPs share the ERG's niche fetish that Brexit is a redemptive crusade that requires a moral reforging of the nation through (unequally) shared hardship.

I wish I had a euro for every time somebody has posted "No deal it is then." in the last two years.
    LOL!
  • Options
    kjh said:

Please can someone at least give me a clue as to what either the sign on the tweet means? Anything will do.
    A biblical quote, John 1:14
    The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father...

I guess the Republicans have deified the great orange gasbag.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    kjh said:

Taking your question seriously: I think the advert is replacing Jesus Christ (to whom the biblical quote refers) with Donald Trump, which would fit most Christian definitions of 'heresy', as the tweet points out
  • Options
    kjh said:

John 1:14

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

ie The Don = Christ
  • Options

kjh said:

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

ie The Don = Christ
    In fairness, I often see Donald Trump's latest antics and think "Jesus Christ".
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Guardian reporting that Raab was arguing for a backstop that could be unilaterally ended with 3 months' notice.

That sounds like we're not very close...
  • Options

kjh said:

ie The Don = Christ
    In fairness, I often see Donald Trump's latest antics and think "Jesus Christ".
    :)
  • Options
    Thank you everyone.

Are you all sitting there with a bible next to your laptops?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Thank you everyone.

I refer you to Exodus 20:1-3...
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I do wish the books would offer multiple bets for states/constituency betting.My Round Robin would be for the Dems to win Ohio,Georgia and Indiana,with Arizona for the 4-timer,adding Texas at 4-1 for a Lucky 31.
    We will see whether the Blue Wave is a tsunami,or a just a big wee-wee.
    There continues to be huge wads of $s being spent to nullify it but how important the money is or isn't may determine the result.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

kle4 said:

You seem mighty sure we are heading to No-Deal. This is a betting site - are you interested in a wager on us leaving the EU with no negotiated withdrawal deal?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Thank you everyone.

I refer you to Exodus 20:1-3...
    :) Oh for goodness sake I've now had to look that up
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    Off topic so apologies. But really - this is grotesque - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/blasphemer-pleads-for-asylum-after-imran-khan-bars-her-exit-zv3gg56jj

Couldn’t our government do the decent thing and give her and her family asylum?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Thank you everyone.

No need: the bible reference is right there on the poster.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2018

I agree with the comments made yesterday by @Alistair (great name, unfortunate spelling) that it's impossible to work out what is going on because of the impact of the greatly increased turnout on the models. Everyone will be sure to be putting on votes. However, what's important is not how many votes you rack up but how many you rack up relative to your main opponent. The Democrats might (might) be making the same mistake that the Conservatives made in 2017 by not noticing how their opponents were doing.

Or then again, the increased turnout might simply be benefiting the Democrats. Put a gun to my head and I'd guess the latter, but it would be a guess.

For me there's just far too many plausible scenarios. There could be a Dem surge that results in dozens of battle ground districts being split by a few tenths of a percentage point - but all in favour of the GOP and Dems fall well short of taking the house. Or they could eek over the line in the other direction and suddenly we are looking at 60+ Dem gains.

Volatility: High.
    Good betting opportunities: Low.

The only thing I'd want to bet on is individual Congressional races if I had access to internal party polling returns.

I'm thinking of my betting fail in 2016 - the SNP increase their constituency vote in both absolute and percentage terms but lose seats overall.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited November 2018

I would also quote St John

You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited November 2018
    Roger said:

Anazina said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not enough Labour MPs share the ERG's niche fetish that Brexit is a redemptive crusade that requires a moral reforging of the nation through (unequally) shared hardship.

I wish I had a euro for every time somebody has posted "No deal it is then." in the last two years.
    LOL!
    Not forgetting

"We'll it's a vote I suppose"

Sadly use of the term OGH seems on the wane though
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

A biblical quote, John 1:14
    The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father...

I guess the Republicans have deified the great orange gasbag.
    How the Donald must love that! Any chance he'll commit a Lennonism and blow his evangelical support?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_popular_than_Jesus
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Roger said:

Anazina said:

Dura_Ace said:

LOL!
    Not forgetting

Is Mike becoming less genial?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I think someone posted it here the other day. Apparently the line is "Trump plus God = majority" or something
  • Options
    Jeez, just noticed this from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1058997000845299712
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

+1 to that!

Like...
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Roger said:

Anazina said:

Dura_Ace said:

LOL!
    Not forgetting

Three cheers for OGH!
  • Options
    Of course it's a silly proposal but the article actually says "Corbynista Lloyd Russell-Moyle believes town hall chiefs should be given power of first refusal on any house up for sale." which is not quite the same as the complisorary purchase that the tweet implies.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    FF43 said:

You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
    John 8:44
    That's spot on. I prefer the King James version:
    "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."
  • Options

Of course it's a silly proposal but the article actually says "Corbynista Lloyd Russell-Moyle believes town hall chiefs should be given power of first refusal on any house up for sale." which is not quite the same as the complisorary purchase that the tweet implies.
    The failure to build housing and the resulting shut-out for a whole generation from owning a home is going to be a major factor in politics once Brexit is done. Maybe the issue.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Off topic so apologies. But really - this is grotesque - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/blasphemer-pleads-for-asylum-after-imran-khan-bars-her-exit-zv3gg56jj

Well quite. It baffles me that, given TMay seems at heart a decent person, her government so oftem finds it very hard to do the decent thing, e.g. on Windrush, UC, EU UK residents, FOBTs, etc.
  • Options
    Toms said:

FF43 said:

John 8:44
    That's spot on. I prefer the King James version:
    "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."
    Yes, Trump's dad was a pretty rotten egg too.
  • Options

The failure to build housing and the resulting shut-out for a whole generation from owning a home is going to be a major factor in politics once Brexit is done. Maybe the issue.

Yes, quite possibly. But entirely within the scope of any competent* government to resolve.

(*So, not this government, clearly.)
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Well quite. It baffles me that, given TMay seems at heart a decent person, her government so oftem finds it very hard to do the decent thing, e.g. on Windrush, UC, EU UK residents, FOBTs, etc.
    I think they find it very hard to do anything at all, without first resorting to the maximum possible prevarication.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Actually if you read the article, he does suggest compulsorily purchasing all those council homes which were bought under the Right to Buy scheme. How many homes is that? So the tweet on this occasion appears to be rather more right than you seem to think.

And if those homes are to compusorily purchased why should anyone else think their home safe?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

BBC report on the midterms:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45013748

The interesting bit for me was that the Republicans haven’t had a lead in the generic ballot from 1982 to the present date. Which perhaps gives a clue about who benefits most from gerrymandering...

That chart is a load of bollocks. There's been plenty of times the GOP has lead the generic ballot.
    At the midterms ?
    The Republicans have frequently outpolled the Democrats in House elections, They did so in 1994, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2010, 2014 and 2016.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Actually if you read the article, he does suggest compulsorily purchasing all those council homes which were bought under the Right to Buy scheme. How many homes is that? So the tweet on this occasion appears to be rather more right than you seem to think.

And if those homes are to compusorily purchased why should anyone else think their home safe?
    Precisely. This is clearly being discussed as a serious idea in at least some parts of the Labour Party.

It will start with ex-council houses and then some bright spark will suggest extending the scheme to buy-to-let houses that come on the market.

They've already proposed that empty, foreign-owned homes should be either compulsorily purchased or forced to be rented to locals.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Indeed, last year her government permitted this man - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/17/banned-pakistani-cleric-syed-qadri-preaching-in-britain - to spread his hatred and filth here.

And at the same time we obsess about hate speech while doing nothing about people inciting murders and giving oodles of money to the country from whom much of the hatred and the murderers come. It is baffling. Worse, it is immoral.

Why doesn’t the Archbishop of Canterbury speak up? If he can tweet about FoBTs he can surely say something about one of his flock? Or would that require some actual moral courage?

• Options
    Dura

+1 is so teeth grindingly awful it fails even to reach the status of mini meme. Anyone using it should be summarily dismissed from the site and forced to read Boris’ Telegraph columns as a cruel and unusual punishment.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Cyclefree said:

Precisely. This is clearly being discussed as a serious idea in at least some parts of the Labour Party.

It will start with ex-council houses and then some bright spark will suggest extending the scheme to buy-to-let houses that come on the market.

They've already proposed that empty, foreign-owned homes should be either compulsorily purchased or forced to be rented to locals.
    I think that buying up houses isn't a bad idea. But compulsory purchase *is* a bad idea, except in the case of empty/disused property.
  • Options
    Tories starting to plan some policy for after Brexit. One idea is to review NI thresholds apparently:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6352729/Lord-Saatchi-urges-merge-starting-threshold-national-insurance-income-tax-12-000.html
  • Options
    It’s a view

should also be verboten. Thankfully nail - head is on the wane.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Anazina said:

Dura

+1 is so teeth grindingly awful it fails even to reach the status of mini meme. Anyone using it should be summarily dismissed from the site and forced to read Boris’ Telegraph columns as a cruel and unusual punishment.

Who made you the authority on how people should express themselves?

Are you this tiresome in the flesh?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    The idea that Beto might win the TX seat has been overhyped. This is *Texas*. Things are changing there slowly, but if I was going to put money on when a Dem wins a senate seat there, I'd say 2024 at the earliest.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Anazina said:

Dura

Still prefer it to "fixed that for you".
  • Options
    Dadge said:

The idea that Beto might win the TX seat has been overhyped. This is *Texas*. Things are changing there slowly, but if I was going to put money on when a Dem wins a senate seat there, I'd say 2024 at the earliest.
    No offence, but hope you are wrong, as I have a wee flutter on Beto.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Worse than "fixed that for you".
    Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Cyclefree said:

I think that buying up houses isn't a bad idea. But compulsory purchase *is* a bad idea, except in the case of empty/disused property.
    Yes, on the face of it, I have no problem with the Council buying places at reasonable market rates, although there might need to be some economic work on the implications of there possibly always being a buyer-of-last resort in any particular local area.
  • Options
    Royal Blue

Are you this much of a snowflake in real life?
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Democratic candidates are regularly overhyped in Texas.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Dura

Why don’t you try starting your own blog where you can impose your own rules as to what others can and cannot say.

+1 came in when the Like button disappeared. It is a very quick way for someone to express their appreciation of a well written post.

Perhaps what we really need is a quick way of expressing the opposite emotion in response to a post.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Why don’t you try starting your own blog where you can impose your own rules as to what others can and cannot say.

+1 came in when the Like button disappeared. It is a very quick way for someone to express their appreciation of a well written post.

Perhaps what we really need is a quick way of expressing the opposite emotion in response to a post.
    +1 is perfectly reasonable, in the absence of a Like button.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Cyclefree said:

Don’t councils already have this power?

What this MP was proposing was nationalising private property, starting with former council homes. Expropriation, in short.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Not really because a like button would presumably just increment a score icon, whereas currently we have to re-read or at least skim 100 lines of argument just to find someone's stuck +1 at the bottom.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

-1?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

-1?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Dadge said:

Cyclefree said:

Don’t councils already have this power?

What this MP was proposing was nationalising private property, starting with former council homes. Expropriation, in short.
    If Brexit has taught us anything, it is that one MP ranting does not make policy, and in most cases the ranter does not even have a coherent plan, just a slogan.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

-1?
    x0
  • Options
    Regarding Mike's spread bet on nationwide turnout, I can't see this market on Sporting Index, I can only find turnouts for individual states. Have I missed something? I'd be interested to know what the current (or latest) spread is.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Cycle

I (and others) am criticising tediousness on here. If you don’t like it, why don’t you start your own blog?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

This presumes that we care whether you or others like a post or not. I personally couldn’t give a toss.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    edited November 2018
    Cyclefree said:

I'm assuming that the Govt. is treading very carefully for fear of it being seen as a route to effectively expel all Christians out of Pakistan.

I know something about this, as we had a Christian office manager in our Islamabad branch. The stories she casually related of abuse towards Christians in Pakistan were horrific. I have no doubt that many there would see it as a great precedent if the UK were to step in and take them off their hands.

Bear in mind, there are 2.5 million Christians in Pakistan.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

This presumes that we care whether you or others like a post or not. I personally couldn’t give a toss.
    But, you aren't all posters. Many do like it if their posts are appreciated.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Cycle

I (and others) am criticising tediousness on here. If you don’t like it, why don’t you start your own blog?
    This is more meta than Mann's Doktor Faustus.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Cycle

+1

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

But, you aren't all posters. Many do like it if their posts are appreciated.
    Great post, well formed, and succinct.

(Very easy to do, for even the semi literate)
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Cycle

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Not really because a like button would presumably just increment a score icon, whereas currently we have to re-read or at least skim 100 lines of argument just to find someone's stuck +1 at the bottom.
    This.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Anazina said:

Dura

IMHO that’s just a teensy-weensy bit OTT
  • Options
    Interesting (early voting) figures:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/414832-huge-turnout-raises-dem-hopes-for-a-wave
    In some states, available data from early voting shows a completely different electorate than that which fueled Republican gains in 2014.

In Texas, Rottinghaus pointed to data that shows more than 421,000 people have voted this year for the first time, nearly four times higher than the number of first-time voters who cast a ballot in 2014. This year, voters between the ages of 18 and 39 made up a little less than a quarter of the total Texas early vote; four years ago, those voters made up just 13 percent of the electorate.

In Arizona, young voters have grown to 17 percent of the electorate, up from 10 percent in 2014. The number of Hispanic voters casting early ballots doubled, while the share of the electorate that is white is down 3.5 percentage points. The number of infrequent and new voters who cast ballots this year have both more than doubled.

In Georgia, voters between the ages of 18 and 39 account for more than 21 percent of the early voting total, up almost ten percentage points from 2014. ...

>IF< turnout is similarly skewed tomorrow, then it looks very promising for Democrats.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Nigelb said:

Interesting (early voting) figures:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/414832-huge-turnout-raises-dem-hopes-for-a-wave
    In some states, available data from early voting shows a completely different electorate than that which fueled Republican gains in 2014.

In Texas, Rottinghaus pointed to data that shows more than 421,000 people have voted this year for the first time, nearly four times higher than the number of first-time voters who cast a ballot in 2014. This year, voters between the ages of 18 and 39 made up a little less than a quarter of the total Texas early vote; four years ago, those voters made up just 13 percent of the electorate.

In Arizona, young voters have grown to 17 percent of the electorate, up from 10 percent in 2014. The number of Hispanic voters casting early ballots doubled, while the share of the electorate that is white is down 3.5 percentage points. The number of infrequent and new voters who cast ballots this year have both more than doubled.

In Georgia, voters between the ages of 18 and 39 account for more than 21 percent of the early voting total, up almost ten percentage points from 2014. ...

>IF< turnout is similarly skewed tomorrow, then it looks very promising for Democrats.

You also need to be looking at absolute numbers.

eg if in 2014, 250,000 people aged 18-29 voted, compared to 500,000 aged over 60. Suppose turnout among 18-29 year olds is up 100% this time, and turnout among over 60's is up 60%, that means you're getting 250,000 new young voters and 300,000 new older voters.
  • Options
    No wonder US healthcare is so fucked...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/full-trumpism-the-presidents-apocalyptic-attacks-reach-a-new-level-of-falsity/2018/11/04/8e4fb87e-e043-11e8-b759-3d88a5ce9e19_story.html
    Trump’s supporters say they don’t much care about the falsehood meter. At his rally Wednesday in Estero, Fla., one Trump fan after another explained away the president’s disregard for the truth.

Hope Heisler, an emergency room doctor: “I’m not a fact-checker. All of the candidates, whether they be Republican or Democrat, don’t say things completely accurately all the time. But I trust in President Trump.”

Linda Sears, a housewife: “Presidents should tell the truth, but sometimes they make mistakes. . . . At least Trump tells it like it is. Trump is a truth teller.”

Pat Banker, a retired registered nurse: “I don’t think he lies. He gets excited when he’s talking, and he likes to exaggerate a little bit. But that’s just his way.”...
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Cycle

I have.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Cycle

I have.
    Where can one find it, please?
  • Options
    Paddy Power offering 7/2 on the Republicans winning 51 Senate seats and 4/1 on their winning 52 look like good odds.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Dura

Cycle

I have.
    Where can one find it, please?
    VM on its way to you.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Nigelb said:

No wonder US healthcare is so fucked...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/full-trumpism-the-presidents-apocalyptic-attacks-reach-a-new-level-of-falsity/2018/11/04/8e4fb87e-e043-11e8-b759-3d88a5ce9e19_story.html
    Trump’s supporters say they don’t much care about the falsehood meter. At his rally Wednesday in Estero, Fla., one Trump fan after another explained away the president’s disregard for the truth.

Hope Heisler, an emergency room doctor: “I’m not a fact-checker. All of the candidates, whether they be Republican or Democrat, don’t say things completely accurately all the time. But I trust in President Trump.”

Linda Sears, a housewife: “Presidents should tell the truth, but sometimes they make mistakes. . . . At least Trump tells it like it is. Trump is a truth teller.”

Pat Banker, a retired registered nurse: “I don’t think he lies. He gets excited when he’s talking, and he likes to exaggerate a little bit. But that’s just his way.”...

Trump speaks the emotional truth, not the literal truth. He connects because his audience "feels" his words. The actual veracity is unimportant. And it is impervious to logical refutation.
    See also, Corbyn. Brexit.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

General compulsory purchase of private property (And I am no fan of the 'right to buy' as presently constructed and except in very specific circumstance e.g. HS2 goes through the middle of your living room) would be an abomination.
    However being able to sell to the council at list price when I sold earlier this year would have been an absolute delight should my actual buyers not showed up - I'd imagine sellers would be only too happy to flog to the council if they can't find a buyer. Heaven knows where the cash would come from for the councils to do this though.
  • Options
    She sounds feisty, from Wikipedia. If she wins, could be a bouncy ride!
This discussion has been closed.