Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My Beto O’Rourke spread bet that could still be winner even if

Comments

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    2 excellent spread-bets for Mike.I think the Beto bet will pay out with the omnipotent Willie Nelson making the difference.
    Last minte Democratic party polling has Dems in front 48-47% in Nevada.Dems backed in to 4-7.North Carolina has a 3pt Dem lead and Arizona in front by 1 point.GOP 4-6 in Arizona,best priced 6-5 for a Blue win.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,201
    Could there be a Black Swan in the offing with the US Midterms?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/05/youth-vote-democrats-midterms-nextgen-tom-steyer-trump

Would certainly leave the US pollsters in a tricky position, since all the weightings would be skewed wrong if the Young voters really are coming out to give Donald John a kicking....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

FPT I see Rasmussen have just put the Republicans 1% ahead in the generic ballot.

Although as most of the votes will now have been cast, it may be a little on the late side
    Or reflect the votes actually cast....an early exit poll?
    That is also possible.

We'll find out in... ohhh... a little but more than 24 hours time.

My predictions are as follows:

1. The Democrats will take the House, but only just.
    2. The Republicans will take North Dakota and Missouri, but will miss out in Florida (by a minuscule margin), and the other Democrat held seats.
    3. The Democrats will take Nevada by a tiny margin, but will miss out in Arizona.
    4. Texas will be surprisingly close, but Cruz will hold it.
    5. The Democrats will do well in the Governors races, coming out +7 or +8.
    6. Turnout will be lower than expected.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Yorkcity said:

Interesting The Guardian now claims to have hit 1m ' contributions ' from readers which include one off donations as well as monthly ones. The strategy they are trying is staying paywall free but routinely asking readers online to donate cash. Only the annual profit/loss figures will tell us if it's " worked " but the early indications are some folk will voluntarily pay to sustain a free at point of use site.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/nov/05/guardian-passes-1m-mark-in-reader-donations-katharine-viner

I would contribute if their comment pieces weren't so packed full of hatred and prejudice. I can't in all honesty contribute to them as they are, even though some of their news coverage is very good.
    I've quite a lot of sympathy with that actually Richard. I suspect we'd disagree over exactly which ones but some of their regular columnists and clickbait one offs are ghastly and trash the Guardian's brand. Which is a shame as under Viner it's well on it's way to becoming a global English language daily and the quality of much of it's factual journalism is outstanding. Viner is also more pluralist and rediscovering the ' liberal ' in the Trust Deed.
    I have decided after many years of reading the Guardian , to make a monthly contribution.

As I think it is worth every penny , not to be behind a pay wall.

I hope my little effort keeps it open to all.
    I'm pretty well agreed with that, even if I might find their editorial stance, which often colours reporting, mildly irritating.
    Some of the Times' journalism is pretty good, too.

Other than that...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Manufacturing prospered during the Wold Wars. The making of many engineering companies.

Import substitution rules, OK.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

FPT I see Rasmussen have just put the Republicans 1% ahead in the generic ballot.

Although as most of the votes will now have been cast, it may be a little on the late side
    That is also possible.

2. The Republicans will take North Dakota and Missouri, but will miss out in Florida (by a minuscule margin), and the other Democrat held seats.
    3. The Democrats will take Nevada by a tiny margin, but will miss out in Arizona.
    All those outcomes seem probable to me.

I'd expect the Democrats to win the House by about 225-230 to 205-210, and for the Senate to be R52 D 48.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Manufacturing prospered during the Wold Wars. The making of many engineering companies.

The world is somewhat different now than then, though. In the 1940s, a firm would buy metal and make things out of that metal. Now even the simplest of devices, like an electric toothbrush, will contain parts from dozens of firms.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

The world is somewhat different now than then, though. In the 1940s, a firm would buy metal and make things out of that metal. Now even the simplest of devices, like an electric toothbrush, will contain parts from dozens of firms.
    Time to re-engineer the toothbrush methinks.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Scott_P said:

2 million fatalities - Abbott mathematics?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Pots and pans were, allegedly, turned into Spitfires.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Since the average Leaver either doesn't have teeth because they are too old or doesn't have teeth because... well... it seems that you are expecting Remainers once again to bear the brunt of your preferred Brexit.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mr. F, in Livy's account of Roman history, roughly the era of Titus Manlius Torquatus and Marcus Valerius Corvus, he notes approvingly of how one war ended with the Romans annihilating the adult male population of an enemy city.

Tamerlane could be very unforgiving about the populations of cities which opposed his advance, too.
    Our ancestors could be very rough.

There was a general expectation that if a city came to terms, then one should honour those terms. But, if it was taken by storm, the lives and property of the inhabitants belonged to the conquerors.
    Nowadays it is the drug gangs of 17 year old boys who are very rough.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,028

Scott_P said:

This is basically a rehash of Tony Benn's Alternative Economic Strategy: "You withdraw behind walls and reconstruct and re-emerge."

Perhaps if we close our economy off temporarily we can create our own smartphone giants and then launch back into an unsuspecting world and steal Apple's lunch.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

In case this has not been posted. The timetable of polls closing:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/2018-election-polls-close/?ex_cid=story-twitter

Very useful
  • Options
    edited November 2018

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

And railings; anything metal removable without dynamite, my Mum used to say
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Since the average Leaver either doesn't have teeth because they are too old or doesn't have teeth because... well... it seems that you are expecting Remainers once again to bear the brunt of your preferred Brexit.
    I can hear you stamping your foot
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/TheNewEuropean/status/1059424745337356294

It's side-splittingly funny.
    Really? I must need a humour upgrade.

It is, however, depressingly accurate.
    I think you may need an irony upgrade.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

I can hear you clattering your false teeth.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

Is Raab ( a ) thick ( b ) setting up impossible Red lines so he can resign over one because he thinks resigning will boost his Tory leadership chances ?

I'd say it means he's decided he thinks there's not gonna be a deal (reasonable) then it doesn't matter what fantasy red meat he throws around.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Economic self-sufficiency, known as autarky, was a major goal of most fascist governments.

Alexander De Grand; Facist Italy & Nazi Germany
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Which meant, in some districts that, there being no street-lights, people fell into areas.
  • Options

Is Raab ( a ) thick ( b ) setting up impossible Red lines so he can resign over one because he thinks resigning will boost his Tory leadership chances ?

I'd say it means he's decided he thinks there's not gonna be a deal (reasonable) then it doesn't matter what fantasy red meat he throws around.
    Since he's currently the second favourite Brexiteer behind Boris Johnson for next Prime Minister, it seems to have worked for him.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

It seems the British Steradent dental cleaner company is dissolved.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

I can hear you clattering your false teeth.
    still stamping, naughty boy
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    "Historic turnout doesn't just happen – it's driven by thousands of Democratic volunteers knocking on millions of doors, sending millions of texts, and organizing rides to the polls across the nation. The backing they get from grassroots donors provides the massive amount of resources those organizers and volunteers need in order to do their work."- The Blue team.
    NBS news "Record turnout upends mid-term predictions",
    The Blues GOV operation is taking credit but it is overall good organisation which can achieve maximum differential turn-out.Dems are still very hopeful of historic gains.
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    Listening to Ireland today, is it really their position that the UK should be locked in to another geography's customs laws in perpetuity with no option for ever leaving?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

It's very possible the railings were never used:
    https://greatwen.com/2012/04/17/secret-london-the-mystery-of-londons-world-war-ii-railings/

Also, I doubt that pots and pans were turned into spitfires; the aluminium would be the wrong grade. I believe that even recycled aircraft aluminium is too poor a quality to be used in new airplanes.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Listening to Ireland today, is it really their position that the UK should be locked in to another geography's customs laws in perpetuity with no option for ever leaving?

Karma’s a bitch innit.
  • Options
    Theo said:

No, the UK-wide customs backstop is purely a UK invention.
  • Options

OMG GRABCOCQUE. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ? I so desperately need to shelter from the Brexit storms in your lush facial hair.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    Theo said:

Not the UK, just the six counties.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Nigelb said:

Yorkcity said:

Interesting The Guardian now claims to have hit 1m ' contributions ' from readers which include one off donations as well as monthly ones. The strategy they are trying is staying paywall free but routinely asking readers online to donate cash. Only the annual profit/loss figures will tell us if it's " worked " but the early indications are some folk will voluntarily pay to sustain a free at point of use site.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/nov/05/guardian-passes-1m-mark-in-reader-donations-katharine-viner

I would contribute if their comment pieces weren't so packed full of hatred and prejudice. I can't in all honesty contribute to them as they are, even though some of their news coverage is very good.
    I've quite a lot of sympathy with that actually Richard. I suspect we'd disagree over exactly which ones but some of their regular columnists and clickbait one offs are ghastly and trash the Guardian's brand. Which is a shame as under Viner it's well on it's way to becoming a global English language daily and the quality of much of it's factual journalism is outstanding. Viner is also more pluralist and rediscovering the ' liberal ' in the Trust Deed.
    I have decided after many years of reading the Guardian , to make a monthly contribution.

I'm pretty well agreed with that, even if I might find their editorial stance, which often colours reporting, mildly irritating.

Other than that...
    Agreed I always buy a Times hard copy when travelling by plane.

The Sunday Times lasts me all week on holiday.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Theo said:

Either that - or acknowledge Brussels has fucked them over.

What a happy family the EU is.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

This is basically a rehash of Tony Benn's Alternative Economic Strategy: "You withdraw behind walls and reconstruct and re-emerge."

Perhaps if we close our economy off temporarily we can create our own smartphone giants and then launch back into an unsuspecting world and steal Apple's lunch.
    We might start eating British apples again.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

https://greatwen.com/2012/04/17/secret-london-the-mystery-of-londons-world-war-ii-railings/

Also, I doubt that pots and pans were turned into spitfires; the aluminium would be the wrong grade. I believe that even recycled aircraft aluminium is too poor a quality to be used in new airplanes.
    Made everyone feel they were ’doing their bit’ though!
  • Options
    Theo said:

I suspect Leo Vodka's rhetoric hides an appreciation of the risks to Eire of UK's non EU status, regardless of the nature of that status.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Theo said:

Oh, so just an effective permanent annexation of a neighbour's territory? Completely reasonable!
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, the Soviet Union tried the same, growing cotton in Kazakhstan and draining water from the Aral Sea, if memory serves.

Mr. Theo, welcome to PB. Some people seem quite keen on that.

Mr. Eagles, how is that karma? What evil was done?
  • Options
    Very sad to hear of Jeremy Heywood's death at such a young age. He kept working, in what must be a very high-stress job, until surprisingly recently, which shows remarkable dedication.

I know he was nominated for a peerage by the PM when he retired on health grounds a few weeks ago, but did he live long enough to take it up?
  • Options
    Theo said:

Foxy said:

Theo said:

Oh, so just an effective permanent annexation of a neighbour's territory? Completely reasonable!
    If you can come up with a solution to enable frictionless trade without customs and regulatory alignment then there's no problem. So far Brexiteers haven't been able to...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

The railings outside our house in Tottenham were removed as were those in the rest of the street. Maybe they were picking on us but I suspect not.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, the Soviet Union tried the same, growing cotton in Kazakhstan and draining water from the Aral Sea, if memory serves.

Mr. Theo, welcome to PB. Some people seem quite keen on that.

Mr. Eagles, how is that karma? What evil was done?

Our centuries long occupation of Ireland and the many crimes we committed.
  • Options

Theo said:

I suspect Leo Vodka's rhetoric hides an appreciation of the risks to Eire of UK's non EU status, regardless of the nature of that status.
    He has probably been emboldened by the number of UK Remainers who support the EU's annexationist position over UK territory.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Theo said:

Theo said:

He has probably been emboldened by the number of UK Remainers who support the EU's annexationist position over UK territory.
    It's not Remainers who want to leave the EU...

https://twitter.com/hhesterm/status/1059388156720701442
  • Options
    Theo said:

Foxy said:

Theo said:

No, just putting it in the EU CU.

Seems very generous to me. Full EU benefits at no financial cost.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited November 2018
    Out of the blue the thought occurred to me to wonder if anybody takes bets on who Trump blames when things go wrong for him. It's usually the press, but not always.Or it may be multiple blames, but never reflexive. Who will he blame if the Democrats take the House?
  • Options

Theo said:

Foxy said:

Theo said:

If you can come up with a solution to enable frictionless trade without customs and regulatory alignment then there's no problem. So far Brexiteers haven't been able to...
    Mutual recognition of each other's standards. That was hard.
  • Options

Very sad to hear of Jeremy Heywood's death at such a young age. He kept working, in what must be a very high-stress job, until surprisingly recently, which shows remarkable dedication.

I know he was nominated for a peerage by the PM when he retired on health grounds a few weeks ago, but did he live long enough to take it up?

It depends what you mean by "take it up". It was officially conferred:
    https://twitter.com/RichGreenhill/status/1057301051517362176
  • Options
    Toms said:

Out of the blue the thought occurred to me to wonder if anybody takes bets on who Trump blames when things go wrong for him. It's usually the press, but not always.Or it may be multiple blames, but never. Who will he blame if the Democrats take the House?

Everyone else.

And he was cheated, by the press...
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/05/trump-cnn-suppression-polls-961460

Pretty sick joke when Republicans start complaining about vote suppression.
  • Options
    Q: Do you understand why people were so angry about your comment about schools getting money for “little extras”?

Hammond says you cannot use an in-year underspend to fund recurring costs.

He says he was “quite surprised” by the negative reaction to his remark. And he was disappointed too, he says.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/nov/05/brexit-eu-and-ireland-will-never-accept-time-limited-backstop-says-dublin-politics-live

He should have run his speech past me first! I pointed out the blunder immediately he said it.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Theo said:

I couldn't possibly comment
  • Options
    Theo said:

Theo said:

Foxy said:

Theo said:

It's not on offer, and even if it were, it still wouldn't solve the customs question.
  • Options

Theo said:

Theo said:

No, but it is Remainers who are supporting the EU annexing British territory in perpetuity.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Nigelb said:

Yorkcity said:

Other than that...
    Agreed I always buy a Times hard copy when travelling by plane.

The Sunday Times lasts me all week on holiday.
    I use loo paper myself.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Which meant, in some districts that, there being no street-lights, people fell into areas.
    And falling off bridges when trains stopped unexpectedly not at a station.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Theo said:

Foxy said:

Theo said:

"You will take what we think is good for you, regardless of what you think. Forever."

Got it.
  • Options

Theo said:

Theo said:

Ah, the search for traitors has resurfaced.

Vote Leave Avoid Responsibility.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Toms said:

Out of the blue the thought occurred to me to wonder if anybody takes bets on who Trump blames when things go wrong for him. It's usually the press, but not always.Or it may be multiple blames, but never reflexive. Who will he blame if the Democrats take the House?

Trump will happily peddle right wing conspiracy theories about the Democrats bussing in illegal immigrants to vote. Plato was pushing this nonsense in 2016 when it looked like Trump would lose.
  • Options

Yes it is very sad.
    There was no mention that I have read of the type of cancer.That seems to have taken him so quickly at a young age.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Theo said:

Theo said:

No, but it is Remainers who are supporting the EU annexing British territory in perpetuity.
    Remainers don't support Brexit. If as you imply Brexiteers don't support it either, why are we doing it?
  • Options

"Historic turnout doesn't just happen – it's driven by thousands of Democratic volunteers knocking on millions of doors, sending millions of texts, and organizing rides to the polls across the nation. The backing they get from grassroots donors provides the massive amount of resources those organizers and volunteers need in order to do their work."- The Blue team.
    NBS news "Record turnout upends mid-term predictions",
    The Blues GOV operation is taking credit but it is overall good organisation which can achieve maximum differential turn-out.Dems are still very hopeful of historic gains.

In their dreams, Republicans are ahead nearly everywhere on the early polling. More pertinent is the Dem's have made an effort by all accounts to match the districts with candidates and message. Historic gains is fantasy land, any gains are likely to be modest.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018

It depends what you mean by "take it up". It was officially conferred:
    https://twitter.com/RichGreenhill/status/1057301051517362176
    Ah, I think there's a distinction between becoming a Lord and becoming a member of the House of Lords. To become the latter you have to put on fancy dress and play some mediaeval charades.

So 'Lord Heywood' is correct, but he didn't become a member of the Lords.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Foxy said:

Theo said:

Foxy said:

Theo said:

A change in their constitutional settlement without a referendum? I thought that was one of the pillars of the GFA?
  • Options

Theo said:

Theo said:

Foxy said:

Theo said:

It's not on offer, and even if it were, it still wouldn't solve the customs question.
    Combined with mutual collection of tariffs it absolutely would. But it is amazing how you say "you can't think of anything" when you really mean "the EU won't allow it so we should support annexation of UK territory".
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I can't recall having ever occupied Ireland.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited November 2018
    Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    There was no mention that I have read of the type of cancer.That seems to have taken him so quickly at a young age.
    It was mentioned yesterday he had lung cancer
  • Options

Theo said:

Theo said:

Theo said:

Remainers don't support Brexit. If as you imply Brexiteers don't support it either, why are we doing it?
    You are doing some fantastical logical somersaults to avoid drawing attention away from the EU's completely unreasonable position of annexation. Bravo!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

That is also possible.

Pretty much agree, I expect the GOP will take Montana as well and possibly Florida so 53/54 in the end. Texas will be more comfortable.
  • Options

Theo said:

Theo said:

paranoid too
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    Thanks Big g never read that.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Theo said:

Theo said:

Theo said:

You are doing some fantastical logical somersaults to avoid drawing attention away from the EU's completely unreasonable position of annexation. Bravo!
    The British government's position for decades has been that it's up to the people of the island of Ireland to decide.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/events/peace/docs/dsd151293.htm

They reaffirm as a binding obligation that they will, for their part, introduce the necessary legislation to give effect to this, or equally to any measure of agreement on future relationships in Ireland which the people living in Ireland may themselves freely so determine without external impediment.
  • Options

Theo said:

Theo said:

paranoid too
    Yes, paranoia is the default hallmark of the more demented Leavers.

Commonsense would tell you that the referendum result would be more likely to become a consensus matter if Leavers sought to engage with Remainers' concerns instead of seeking to grind them into the dust, but Leavers and commonsense long since underwent a judicial separation.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    A friend of mine aged 50 went from pain in the shoulder to death from lung cancer in 6 weeks. Sometimes it is very quick.
  • Options
    I notice that Trump is playing the immigration card. What a surprise.
    Am I wrong, or did Europeans wrest most of the mainland from the red Indians, or, in the Southwest, from Mexico?
  • Options
    Toms said:

I notice that Trump is playing the immigration card. What a surprise.
    Am I wrong, or did Europeans wrest most of the mainland from the red Indians, or, in the Southwest, from Mexico?

Effectively, I think genocide was the name of the game
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    Thanks Big g never read that.

It came up when Andrew Marr was interviewing James Brokenshire who of couse is recovering from it
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    A friend of mine aged 50 went from pain in the shoulder to death from lung cancer in 6 weeks. Sometimes it is very quick.
    That happened to my wife on holiday in Ireland this summer. I took her into A&E in Galway on 30 August with a cough, breathlessness and a pain in her shoulder to check she was fit enough for the journey home. She was kept in, diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer, and died on 23 September in hospital in Galway. She never made it home. It was shockingly sudden.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    That happened to my wife on holiday in Ireland this summer. I took her into A&E in Galway on 30 August with a cough, breathlessness and a pain in her shoulder to check she was fit enough for the journey home. She was kept in, diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer, and died on 23 September in hospital in Galway. She never made it home. It was shockingly sudden.
    Sincere condolences, Barnesian. That is indeed shockingly sudden.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    Gods sake. My sincere condolences.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited November 2018
    There's an interesting stat doing the rounds on the news networks. Everyone agrees that the Dem route to taking the Senate is a difficult one tomorrow, and indeed the GOP could pick up a couple, but the interesting stat is that not one of the Senate dems up for reelection in 2020 is in a state Trump won in 2016.

It would be surprising if the Dems don't do quite well down ballot. 8 years of Obama almost destroyed the Dems as a national party outside Congress. The GOP - if I remember correctly in the almost mind numbing drum beat of the last week or so -holds 36 governorships and 67 of the 99 state legislative bodies. The only way from an achievement like that for the GOP is down, which bodes well for the dems..
  • Options
    macisback said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

That is also possible.

Pretty much agree, I expect the GOP will take Montana as well and possibly Florida so 53/54 in the end. Texas will be more comfortable.
    Montana is tough. It's very Republican, but the polls there mostly show good leads for Tester. See: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/montana/

I suspect that - like Maine - it's a place where an independent minded Senator can establish a decent presence.
  • Options
    Mr. Barnesian, my condolences.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    Yes so I believe in contrast to blood cancers .Such as myeloma where new drugs are helping many people live for many years with a treatable if not curable condition.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    That's horrible. I'm so sorry.
  • Options
    The New York Times is reporting that dem candidates have stopped asking Bill Clinton to campaign for them.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    Yes so I believe in contrast to blood cancers .Such as myeloma where new drugs are helping many people live for many years with a treatable if not curable condition.

My best friend in England is battling myeloma. He's having a bit of a tough time.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    My condolences.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    This thread is awful for my health anxiety!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your condolences. I wasn't going to say but I just blurted it out. We had just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary so we had had a very good life together.

I find PB, midterms and Brexit usefully distracting but I'm still in deep shock and my thoughts keep returning to my wife and our life together.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    Terribly sorry to hear that, Barnesian. :(
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137
    Tim_B said:

There's an interesting stat doing the rounds on the news networks. Everyone agrees that the Dem route to taking the Senate is a difficult one tomorrow, and indeed the GOP could pick up a couple, but the interesting stat is that not one of the Senate dems up for reelection in 2020 is in a state Trump won in 2016.

It would be surprising if the Dems don't do quite well down ballot. 8 years of Obama almost destroyed the Dems as a national party outside Congress. The GOP - if I remember correctly in the almost mind numbing drum beat of the last week or so -holds 36 governorships and 67 of the 99 state legislative bodies. The only way from an achievement like that for the GOP is down, which bodes well for the dems..

I think that these figures are somewhat exaggerated by the number of low population states the Republicans have compared with the Dems having Cal, NY etc but there is no doubt that this has damaged the party nationally and arguably cost Hillary the election.
  • Options
    Mr. B, hope your friend can make a full recovery.

Must be off now.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Barnesian said:

Thank you all for your condolences. I wasn't going to say but I just blurted it out. We had just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary so we had had a very good life together.

I find PB, midterms and Brexit usefully distracting but I'm still in deep shock and my thoughts keep returning to my wife and our life together.

Deepest condolences Barnesian.
  • Options
    Damocles's sword hangs over each of us all.
    We must help each other.
    We must help each other.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 said:

macisback said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

That is also possible.

Montana is tough. It's very Republican, but the polls there mostly show good leads for Tester. See: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/montana/

I suspect that - like Maine - it's a place where an independent minded Senator can establish a decent presence.
    AIUI Tester is local for generations back and his challenger wasn't even born in the state. That sort of thing matters a lot in a place like Montana.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.
    Can I add my sincere condolences .
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes it is very sad.

My best friend in England is battling myeloma. He's having a bit of a tough time.
    Hope they can get your friend into remission in many cases with myeloma they can for many years.
This discussion has been closed.