Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My Beto O’Rourke spread bet that could still be winner even if

124»

Comments

• Options
    Interesting that the Met appear to think they have the resources to investigate a model being burned on bonfire night when they are forever complaining that they don't have enough resources to investigate burglary and worse. Their sense of priority says a lot.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    HYUFD said:

Justice Secretary David Gauke says if we get a deal could be a swing back to Leave, if No Deal could be a further swing to Remain

Very wishful thinking. A deal which makes Brexit look pointless is not going to promote support for it.
  • Options
    notme said:

dixiedean said:

notme said:

The lead story on ITV is beyond any form of words

Burning of a Grenville Tower model with images at the windows on a bonfire is horific beyond words. What mentality do these people have and how could anyone think like that.

The police are seeking information on those involved and this is one hate crime that needs the full force of the law to come down like a ton of bricks on those responsible

Piffle. Something is not a crime because it is distasteful. Police need to get a grip and attend some burglaries.

Why are we so knee jerk Puritan nowadays?
    I’m with Mr North Wales. This is beyond distasteful. Just listening to a few second of it was enough.
    Distasteful it certainly was, but on this rare occasion I'm with notme. It was intended as a sick joke. It's not clever, it's not funny, and they all should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. But it's not a 'hate crime' and Plod really has better things to be spending his time on.
    Have to agree. If you can burn the Pope, Alex Salmond, Donald Trump, or whoever the heck else you feel like in effigy, then Grenfell is only a step away. Can't see what crime has been committed. Maybe burning effigies altogether might be a little outdated?
    That said, a naming and shaming might be appropriate for them. Idiots.
    The allegation is that the figures at the windows and those of little children were made out of brown paper. You can draw your own conclusions
    So what. It’s the colour of a piece of sodding paper. Jesus Christ. Get a grip.

“And the worst of it was, the paper was brown. (Witness leaves the court room in a flood of tears)”
    Have you watched it.

You seem to have no empathy to those whom died in Grenville
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

notme said:

notme said:

Burning of a Grenville Tower model with images at the windows on a bonfire is horific beyond words. What mentality do these people have and how could anyone think like that.

The police are seeking information on those involved and this is one hate crime that needs the full force of the law to come down like a ton of bricks on those responsible

Piffle. Something is not a crime because it is distasteful. Police need to get a grip and attend some burglaries.

I’m with Mr North Wales. This is beyond distasteful. Just listening to a few second of it was enough.
    Offensive yes, but illegal? I'm with those who think the police have more important issues to deal with.
    Have you seen the video
    Are they actually hurting someone in the video?
    Those who have relatives and children who died in Grenville will be very hurt and I would expect furious
    Bad taste should not be a police matter.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    HYUFD said:

Justice Secretary David Gauke says if we get a deal could be a swing back to Leave, if No Deal could be a further swing to Remain

How does he know?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

notme said:

Distasteful it certainly was, but on this rare occasion I'm with notme. It was intended as a sick joke. It's not clever, it's not funny, and they all should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. But it's not a 'hate crime' and Plod really has better things to be spending his time on.
    Have to agree. If you can burn the Pope, Alex Salmond, Donald Trump, or whoever the heck else you feel like in effigy, then Grenfell is only a step away. Can't see what crime has been committed. Maybe burning effigies altogether might be a little outdated?
    The allegation is that the figures at the windows and those of little children were made out of brown paper. You can draw your own conclusions
    Ah, so you're saying it's racist? If so, then I'd presume it will be investigated as a potential hate crime.
    That was the allegation by ITV and I believe the basis of the police investigation
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

notme said:

dixiedean said:

notme said:

“And the worst of it was, the paper was brown. (Witness leaves the court room in a flood of tears)”
    Have you watched it.

Totally agree.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

Brexit polling junkies will enjoy Channel 4 tonight, survation constituency polling a bit surprising.

Not got the telly on.

What's the verdict? (Need I ask :D )
    Swing to Remain in Sunderland.

60% of voters want to keep FoM.

Amongst others.
    Who knew that would be the verdict? Who knew! :D
    It'll be because the Tories are in charge of it, and Mackems can't bear to agree with the blues. Once Corbyn is back in charge of Brexiteers they'll be back for it again.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited November 2018
    It wouldn't be no deal, it'll be many little deals - likely including one in this area. Unthinkable that the EU could be so petty... wait...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

notme said:

dixiedean said:

notme said:

Have you watched it.

You can have empathy for people who died and think the people burning the effigy are appalling and the dregs of society without thinking that a "crime" has been committed?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

Very wishful thinking. A deal which makes Brexit look pointless is not going to promote support for it.
    The main fear of No Deal is strengthening the Remain vote.

Though of course Survation had it 52% Remain 48% Leave on 18th June 2016 just days before the EU referendum so on the same error with this poll it would be Remain 50% Leave 50%

https://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Final-18-June-Mos-EU-poll-Tables-part-1.pdf
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Tim_B said:

One final point - if the Dems take the House, they will be on all sorts of fishing expeditions to get Trump's tax returns, see if his family are profiting from foreign folks staying in their DC property, and that's just the beginning. They've already said they'll go after Kavanaugh.

Hamish MacRae argues gridlock in Washington might not be a bad thing

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/hamish-mcrae-looming-gridlock-should-put-paid-to-more-donald-trump-tax-cuts-a3980831.html

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

Brexit polling junkies will enjoy Channel 4 tonight, survation constituency polling a bit surprising.

Not got the telly on.

What's the verdict? (Need I ask :D )
    Swing to Remain in Sunderland.

60% of voters want to keep FoM.

Amongst others.
    Who knew that would be the verdict? Who knew! :D
    It'll be because the Tories are in charge of it, and Mackems can't bear to agree with the blues. Once Corbyn is back in charge of Brexiteers they'll be back for it again.
    But Newcastle play in black and white, not blue?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Survation poll has Remain 54% Leave 46% on C4 news

Interesting map changes too.
    The South, Wales and the NorthWest would now vote Remain according to the poll but the North East, Yorkshire and Humber, the Midlands and the East would still vote Leave
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Though of course Survation had it 52% Remain 48% Leave on 18th June 2016 just days before the EU referendum so on the same error with this poll it would be Remain 50% Leave 50%

https://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Final-18-June-Mos-EU-poll-Tables-part-1.pdf
    The same margin of error on this poll could also make it 58% Remain, 42% Leave.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A deal which puts Brexit in the past tense would be welcome.

Personally I am expected both a fairly soft Brexit deal and an uplift in the Tory vote (for a while at least) as jitters die down.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Interesting that the Met appear to think they have the resources to investigate a model being burned on bonfire night when they are forever complaining that they don't have enough resources to investigate burglary and worse. Their sense of priority says a lot.

I was listening to the Today Program on R4 today. They were interviewing government types about crime. No, the reduction of police on the streets has not affected crime. No, the emphasis on gender and hate crimes has not affected it either. After hearing more about task forces and new policy initiatives than I have in years, I was just left glad that I don't live there. The knife crime rate in London is awful. The mayor says quite happily that it'll take 10 years to get under control.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I was listening to the Today Program on R4 today. They were interviewing government types about crime. No, the reduction of police on the streets has not affected crime. No, the emphasis on gender and hate crimes has not affected it either. After hearing more about task forces and new policy initiatives than I have in years, I was just left glad that I don't live there. The knife crime rate in London is awful. The mayor says quite happily that it'll take 10 years to get under control.
    Crime in London is back to 2010, well below peak.

It's all relative, I guess.
  • Options
    Checking this hour of remain propaganda on 4 lol
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes well the margin of error last time was to Leave
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A deal which puts Brexit in the past tense would be welcome.

Personally I am expected both a fairly soft Brexit deal and an uplift in the Tory vote (for a while at least) as jitters die down.
    At least through the transition period anyway
  • Options

Tim_B said:

And London is a hell of a lot safer than most American cities.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Watching Brexit poll on C4+1. Massive survey showing a pretty thumping swing back to Remain.

Interesting.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Two points from the Channel 4 debate (Which was excellent)

1. The biggest LEAVE demographic were the over 75s. Bonkers doesn't describe what we've done
    2. Caroline Lucas was excellent and with a fair wind she could lead a Remain movement which I'm certain will now become deafening.

Conclusion. If Brexit goes ahead this could have far reaching consequences for one or both of the two main parties
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'd have thought that if the moving average reaches over 55/45% the political classes ought to worry that they're going against the peoples' new wishes.

Some pro-leave MPs now resort to the idea they they 'must respect the voters' decision'. But it's 2.5 years since they 'expressed their wishes'.

In two years, from 1964 to 1966, voters' wishes changed from a hung parliament to a Labour landslide. Between 2015 and 2017, they went from a modest Tory majority to a hung parliament. How does one allow for this other than a further vote to ratify the leave terms?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/london-murder-rate-higher-new-york-city-first-time-surging-knife-gun-crime/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Very sorry to hear of your loss, Barnesian.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Tim_B said:

Tory Mayoral candidate Shaun Bailey at least wants to crack down on knife crime

https://twitter.com/ShaunBaileyUK/status/1059390391370334209?s=20
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Watching Brexit poll on C4+1. Massive survey showing a pretty thumping swing back to Remain.

Interesting.

wasn't it 54:46?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Tim_B said:

What was truly stunning is that nobody takes any responsibility - it's just another committee or working group or strategy paper. Nobody is actually doing anything. Ideas like putting cops back on the street were dismissed out of hand.
  • Options
    Saddened to read down thread about Barnesian’s news. My condolences are with him.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Interesting.

I’m watching it an hour later C4+1, it could be as high as that I guess. Benchmarked against 2016 vote. Wow.
  • Options
    Ah... A NEW customs union arrangement for Labour
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/london-murder-rate-higher-new-york-city-first-time-surging-knife-gun-crime/
    That article rather proves the point. One month 'for the first time in modern history' in which there were more murders in London than in New York.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    Anazina said:

Interesting.

So am I. The strange thing is that I've agreed with Nigel Farage on all of the polling points he's made. if you look at the data there's barely a 1000 people per region so you can't highlight sunderland as there's not enough people from sunderland to make legitimate comparisons.

with regards to the second graph with regard to 'live and work in other peoples countries' it all depends on the way you ask the question
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Tory Mayoral candidate Shaun Bailey at least wants to crack down on knife crime

https://twitter.com/ShaunBaileyUK/status/1059390391370334209?s=20
    He was interviewed on the program.
  • Options
    Cursive has identified loaded polling questions lol
  • Options

Anazina said:

Interesting.

Really? In a way I'm not surprised. For a sizeable chunk of Leavers, the benefits of EU membership would only have become apparent after the vote, which was when the subject actually started to be discussed calmly and without shrill distractions. And it's not as if any great Brexit benefits have been posited to sway erstwhile Remainers.
  • Options
    Moggite in the leopardskin.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2018
    What’s all this about a racist campaign ad that all the networks won’t play in the US?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Early voting reports as of today - early voting has ended

Florida 5,111,452
    Texas 4,884,528
    California 3,678,756 (early voting goes on today in CA)
    Georgia 2,079,351
    North Carolina 2.038.810

36 million nationwide have already voted.

These are big numbers, but almost everyone agrees that they don't know what to read into these figures.
  • Options
    PlankPlank Posts: 71
    Barnesian said:

That happened to my wife on holiday in Ireland this summer. I took her into A&E in Galway on 30 August with a cough, breathlessness and a pain in her shoulder to check she was fit enough for the journey home. She was kept in, diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer, and died on 23 September in hospital in Galway. She never made it home. It was shockingly sudden.

So sorry to hear that.

• Options

What’s all this about a racist campaign ad that all the networks won’t play in the US?

Is it a robocall?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2018
    Tim_B said:

Is it a robocall?
    No, something to do with a tv ad that some networks did play yesterday but have said they won’t anymore. And Facebook / twitter won’t do a promoted ad for it either.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Tim_B said:

What was truly stunning is that nobody takes any responsibility - it's just another committee or working group or strategy paper. Nobody is actually doing anything. Ideas like putting cops back on the street were dismissed out of hand.

In fact, the person who oversaw a reduction in Police numbers and the closing of operational stations was Boris Johnson.

The person responsible for deciding Police should abandon beat patrolling in favour of moving round in vehicles was a former Home Secretary, Theresa May.

Yet Bailey is going round blaming Sadiq Khan - fair enough, Sadiq is Mayor but I didn't hear Bailey lambasting Johnson or May. What is Bailey's solution ? More Police - well, the age of austerity is over (apparently) but a lot of knife crime is gang-related and in turn drug related. What is the required response to the gangs - shut them down, break them up, make membership illegal?

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Very sad to hear of Jeremy Heywood's death at such a young age. He kept working, in what must be a very high-stress job, until surprisingly recently, which shows remarkable dedication.

I know he was nominated for a peerage by the PM when he retired on health grounds a few weeks ago, but did he live long enough to take it up?

Yes it is very sad.
    There was no mention that I have read of the type of cancer.That seems to have taken him so quickly at a young age.
    A friend of mine aged 50 went from pain in the shoulder to death from lung cancer in 6 weeks. Sometimes it is very quick.
    That happened to my wife on holiday in Ireland this summer. I took her into A&E in Galway on 30 August with a cough, breathlessness and a pain in her shoulder to check she was fit enough for the journey home. She was kept in, diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer, and died on 23 September in hospital in Galway. She never made it home. It was shockingly sudden.
    What a very sad and tragic story. All I can do is offer my condolences and give you my heartfelt best wishes
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Is it a robocall?
    No, something to do with a tv ad that some networks did play yesterday but have said they won’t anymore. And Facebook / twitter won’t do a promoted ad for it either.
    I don't know. I would be surprised if it was an official campaign ad. Some 3rd party stuff was pretty rough though. To be honest I'm trying to avoid watching the news networks today.
  • Options
    Dr Caroline Lucas really is a very effective communicator.

Shame she is in a party where she can do very little with her skills.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,110
    Pulpstar said:

Ah... A NEW customs union arrangement for Labour

What about those of us outside Labour?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited November 2018

This one.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/05/trump-anti-immigration-ad-pulled-fox-news-nbc-facebook

This is the actual video

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1057728445386539008
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    New thread.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Tim_B said:

In fact, the person who oversaw a reduction in Police numbers and the closing of operational stations was Boris Johnson.

The person responsible for deciding Police should abandon beat patrolling in favour of moving round in vehicles was a former Home Secretary, Theresa May.

Yet Bailey is going round blaming Sadiq Khan - fair enough, Sadiq is Mayor but I didn't hear Bailey lambasting Johnson or May. What is Bailey's solution ? More Police - well, the age of austerity is over (apparently) but a lot of knife crime is gang-related and in turn drug related. What is the required response to the gangs - shut them down, break them up, make membership illegal?

Bailey isn't up to it and his selection reflects badly on his party.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited November 2018
    Roger said:

Two points from the Channel 4 debate (Which was excellent)

1. The biggest LEAVE demographic were the over 75s. Bonkers doesn't describe what we've done
    2. Caroline Lucas was excellent and with a fair wind she could lead a Remain movement which I'm certain will now become deafening.

Conclusion. If Brexit goes ahead this could have far reaching consequences for one or both of the two main parties

Surprised you'd be a Caroline Lucas support Rog.

If she took charge of the country she might ban you from flying out to your mansion on the Cote D'Azur all the time! :D
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited November 2018
    You know Trump's gone way too far when even Fox are refusing to air his ads.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Curtice saying nothing is more likely to change people’s minds on Brexit than changing their mind about the economic effects of it.

Rather undermines the oft-stated claim on here that sovereignty trumps economics.

• Options
    stodge said:

Tim_B said:

I am not up to speed on any of this. It was 2am and I couldn't sleep - I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go round on all sides. After almost 20 minutes I was so furious I got up and made myself a cup of coffee. It just reinforced the ideological nonsense, the cries of 'the government should do something', and refusal of anybody to take responsibility for anything that made me leave England in my mid 20s when Jim Callaghan was running the place into the ground.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Anazina said:

Dr Caroline Lucas really is a very effective communicator.

Shame she is in a party where she can do very little with her skills.

Seeing as she has been leader of her party and made very little progress, then perhaps she has very little skills.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

One month. How did the cities compare in June this year?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    stodge said:

Tim_B said:

One final point - if the Dems take the House, they will be on all sorts of fishing expeditions to get Trump's tax returns, see if his family are profiting from foreign folks staying in their DC property, and that's just the beginning. They've already said they'll go after Kavanaugh.

Hamish MacRae argues gridlock in Washington might not be a bad thing

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/hamish-mcrae-looming-gridlock-should-put-paid-to-more-donald-trump-tax-cuts-a3980831.html

It would be good.

Getting to the bottom of Trump's tax returns and profiteering from being president, along with digging into who is footing the bill for all the travel to his countless political rallies would be a great service to the nation. But they have not shot in hell in getting Kavanaugh out. Roberts is the best bet for that.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    stodge said:

Tim_B said:

Make recreational drugs legal and take out the excess profit from smuggling by cutting sin taxes.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

notme said:

In Edenbridge, they burnt an effigy of Boris:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sevenoaks/news/boris-johnson-guy-goes-up-in-flames-192744/
This discussion has been closed.