Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Who Won The Midterms? Does It Matter?

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

These are Macron's remarks as reported by the Beeb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46108633

They are stupid. No ifs, no buts. Fine to say Europe needs to protect itself and not rely on others. Indeed, many people need to understand that and currently don't. Very foolish indeed to effectively say you're thinking of the possibility of war with your key ally, especially when it's led by a thin-skinned narcissist with a Twitter account.

Between this and his decision to honour Pétain, Macron's had a rotten week. Along with Merkel's implosion, we have to face the fact that the EU may be currently leaderless.

No worries they have Drunker..... oh shit
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    Rare to find myself in agreement with the orang-utan, but...
    I don't agree, on grounds of logic. NATO - staffing, HQ etc - is directly funded according to a formula based on national income. Members make a much more significant contribution by having personnel and materiel available to the common NATO cause. Trump presumably is referring to the US' relatively large military when he talks about subsidy. But that's what Macron is proposing to increase in Europe
    You do know that NATO members are also committed to spending 2% of GDP on defensive capability, don't you? And that none of them do (I don't think even we do now)?
    That target was just agreed in 2006 and has always been controversial because it has little relation to capabilities. It's not a foundational principle of NATO.
    As it is a percentage of GDP it is by definition related to capabilities.
    You can easily spend 2% of GDP and have nothing useful to show for it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Or today, Brexit McExitface.....
  • Options

Omnium said:

I think someone needs to consider supporting no-deal. I think perhaps I do.

The EU is just obstructing things. Any hint of a deal and all of a sudden borders in the Irish Sea, and fishing rights pop up. It's just so obvious that they want the political process to fail, and they're quite happy to spin us, the UK, into chaos, and have us come back, cap-in-hand, asking to remain.

I don't want no-deal, but neither does the EU. We'll do much better negotiating up from nothing than we will the other way.

We have no particular need to erect a border in Ireland. Let's just see how that goes. The Republic will send themselves mad fretting. I do feel a degree of sympathy for them - all disingenuous opportunists deserve that at least.

The Liverpool Echo may get the last laugh.

That's exactly what's going on.

It's perfectly obvious that the EU want to make an example of the UK.
    And by god they have some useful idiots offering a helpful hand
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

This time next week Theresa May really could be a dead woman walking - Having resigned as leader of the Conservative Party and just acting a PM until Con sort out a new leader.

After which she has a date with George Osborne's freezer...

That is frankly unacceptable and a sad reflection on the mentality of so many today
  • Options

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    I don't agree, on grounds of logic. NATO - staffing, HQ etc - is directly funded according to a formula based on national income. Members make a much more significant contribution by having personnel and materiel available to the common NATO cause. Trump presumably is referring to the US' relatively large military when he talks about subsidy. But that's what Macron is proposing to increase in Europe
    You do know that NATO members are also committed to spending 2% of GDP on defensive capability, don't you? And that none of them do (I don't think even we do now)?
    That target was just agreed in 2006 and has always been controversial because it has little relation to capabilities. It's not a foundational principle of NATO.
    You can easily spend 2% of GDP and have nothing useful to show for it.
    Certainly.

If you chose to do so or are incompetent.

But if you spend 2% you are likely to get more than if you spend 1%.

And European countries aren't spending 2% as they agreed to.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    GIN1138 said:

This time next week Theresa May really could be a dead woman walking - Having resigned as leader of the Conservative Party and just acting a PM until Con sort out a new leader.

I think you've succesfully predicted 112 of the last 0 Theresa May resignations
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815

GIN1138 said:

That is frankly unacceptable and a sad reflection on the mentality of so many today
    Sorry Big G. The last part was nasty. I shouldn't stoop to George Osborne's level...

I apologize. :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

I think you've succesfully predicted 112 of the last 0 Theresa May resignations
    You've got to admit it does look pretty serious this time... ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Sorry Big G. The last part was nasty. I shouldn't stoop to George Osborne's level...

Full marks. We all need to be kinder. Many are distressed and anxious over brexit
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Full marks. We all need to be kinder. Many are distressed and anxious over brexit
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Hope you and Mr G are feeling a bit better? :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    You might just want to cover the possibility of the EU negotiating in bad faith over the backstop - given that has been their modus operandi for the past two years.

Looking on the bright side, at least the government is learning something about negotiating along the way.....
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Hope you and Mr G are feeling a bit better? :)
    Thank you. Slowly but hopefully steadily
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Grieve on Newsnight a few minutes ago menacing Theresa.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Scott_P said:
    You might just want to cover the possibility of the EU negotiating in bad faith over the backstop - given that has been their modus operandi for the past two years.

Looking on the bright side, at least the government is learning something about negotiating along the way.....
    I dunno, we're the ones who agreed to it, then spent the last year trying to wriggle out of it,
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    GIN1138 said:

If she had any capacity for politics beyond blind obduracy masquerading as purpose she'd switch the point of attack.

eg call an immediate 3day London Conference (of the EU's most powerful Enemies) to consider the "Way Forward In Europe 100yr after WW1".

Invite Trump, Putin, Salvini etc. Invite the French for day3(only) No need for Merkel/Juncker obv..

Agenda :
    1) The Inner German Border - A good Idea?
    2) Lots of lovely cheap access to the UK SM.

Stick a poker up there ars*s.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,608
    shiney2 said:

GIN1138 said:

If she had any capacity for politics beyond blind obduracy masquerading as purpose she'd switch the point of attack.

eg call an immediate 3day London Conference (of the EU's most powerful Enemies) to consider the "Way Forward In Europe 100yr after WW1".

Invite Trump, Putin, Salvini etc. Invite the French for day3(only) No need for Merkel/Juncker obv..

Agenda :

Be Trump and Putin's minions?

No, lets make Britain sane again.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    shiney2 said:

GIN1138 said:

Agenda :

You are under the misapprehension that we hold all the cards.

We only have Old Maids
  • Options

Or today, Brexit McExitface.....
    Exit from Brexitface.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    Well, the figures are all a bit pliable. The US, for example, includes the Department of Veterans Affairs - which supplies pensions and healthcare to all people used to serve in the armed forces or the DOD - in its calculation of Defence Spending. Given how expensive healthcare in the US is, and that - due to conscription in the 1960s and early 1970s - there are a lot of veterans, and they are increasingly expensive from a healthcare perspective. (As in, there are a lot of them around the age of 60-70.) The Department for Veterans Affairs has a budget - at close to $200bn - equivalent to the military spending of the UK, France, Germany and Japan combined.

France, at 2.3% of GDP, definitely meets NATO commitments. Germany, at 1.2%, definitely doesn't. Most of the rest of Europe is pretty close: we're 1.8%, and Italy is 2%.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    Scott_P said:
    Telling that they are rejecting independent arbitration. I suspect they want the ECJ to do it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    Perhaps not, but it’s ludicrous to suggest that Europe has not neglected its defence.
    If you exclude the department for veterans affairs, it's quite likely that France spends a higher percentage of GDP on defence than the US.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Telling that they are rejecting independent arbitration. I suspect they want the ECJ to do it.
    The joys of holding all the cards when you are negotiating.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

shiney2 said:

GIN1138 said:

Agenda :

Be Trump and Putin's minions?

No, lets make Britain sane again.
    If you actually think that is a likely outcome, get some help understanding those yellow things on the side of roads. Life will be easier..
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    The flaw with this plan is that it exists for the situation where the UK can't agree the EU terms and yet it expects the EU pick up negotiations again but this time drop its demands. Why wouldn't it demand the same thing again?
    Though that does sound consistent with the “lifeboat” deal Juncker talked about some months back if no proper WA can be agreed. Enough to keep the planes flying and the Channel ports moving albeit nothing like as frictionless as now.
  • Options

shiney2 said:

GIN1138 said:

Agenda :

You are under the misapprehension that we hold all the cards.

We only have Old Maids
    We don't but others do and we can helpful.. It's called politics.
  • Options
    As an aside, it is really only Germany I have a big problem with in terms of defence spending. It's armed forces are a joke, and it relies on the help of others through NATO.

Given that Germany is likely to run a budget surplus of around 1.5% of GDP this year, this really isn't acceptable. Other countries - like Spain, for example - at least have the excuse of having been through a serious period of austerity.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Everyone remember the Swedish elections ?

The next PM market is still live ! And "Annie Loof" is challenging Ulf Kristersson for favouritism

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.132732034

Blimey! I did bet on that election, but fortunately only on Most Seats, so settled long ago. I'd completely forgotten about it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Pulpstar said:

The next PM market is still live ! And "Annie Loof" is challenging Ulf Kristersson for favouritism

Blimey! I did bet on that election, but fortunately only on Most Seats, so settled long ago. I'd completely forgotten about it.
    Looks like there might have to be another election in Sweden.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

2.74 on Betfair for an election before the end of 2019. I'd be tempted, except that I haven't a clue about the mechanics.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    They don't want a deal

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
    An unholy alliance of the ERG, Remainers, Labour, the LibDems, the DUP, the SNP, the Irish Republic and the EU seems hell-bent of leaving Mrs May with no option but to come to parliament and explain that a deal is not possible, not least because they won't vote for one.

That would be a victory of sorts for the ERG. Not so good for the UK economy, the Irish economy, the EU economy, or political stability in Europe, and of course (if the EU are to be believed), a direct torpedo into the EU's primary goal of not having a hard border.

It would be an utterly bizarre outcome, which no-one actually wants (even the headbangers want some kind of deal). But that is the logic of the behaviour of the various parties.

Edit: The only consolation I can see is the entertainment of seeing the EU belatedly realise that by over-reaching, they've blown €38bn and wrecked significant chunks of their economies. But it's not much consolation given that it will also wreck significant chunks of ours.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    We have spent months going down a rabbit hole, off a rabbit hole, off a rabbit hole......

We've tried. But it's time to deploy the "well, fuck right off then" approach. There's £39 billion available. The EU aren't dealing in good faith - so here's our take-it-or-leave-it offer on the table: the UK gets to decide whether we have met the criteria on the backstop. Agree to that, or it's a no deal. Down to you, guys.

Oh, and to concentrate minds, the £39 billion on offer reduces by a billion a day from next Wednesday....
  • Options

An unholy alliance of the ERG, Remainers, Labour, the LibDems, the DUP, the SNP, the Irish Republic and the EU seems hell-bent of leaving Mrs May with no option but to come to parliament and explain that a deal is not possible, not least because they won't vote for one.

That would be a victory of sorts for the ERG. Not so good for the UK economy, the Irish economy, the EU economy, or political stability in Europe, and of course (if the EU are to be believed), a direct torpedo into the EU's primary goal of not having a hard border.

It would be an utterly bizarre outcome, which no-one actually wants (even the headbangers want some kind of deal). But that is the logic of the behaviour of the various parties.

Edit: The only consolation I can see is the entertainment of seeing the EU belatedly realise that by over-reaching, they've blown €38bn and wrecked significant chunks of their economies. But it's not much consolation given that it will also wreck significant chunks of ours.

But hey, they don't have to face the wrath of those crazy little people called voters.....
  • Options

But hey, they don't have to face the wrath of those crazy little people called voters.....
    They do. Well, not the Commission, but the governments of the EU27, several of which would be really badly hit, notably Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, as well as parts of France, Italy and Spain.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    rpjs said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    The flaw with this plan is that it exists for the situation where the UK can't agree the EU terms and yet it expects the EU pick up negotiations again but this time drop its demands. Why wouldn't it demand the same thing again?
    Though that does sound consistent with the “lifeboat” deal Juncker talked about some months back if no proper WA can be agreed. Enough to keep the planes flying and the Channel ports moving albeit nothing like as frictionless as now.
    But those are only EU ad hoc unilateral measures until the UK comes back to the negotiating table, at which point the shopping list reappears
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    Indeed. So Trump should be happy Macron proposes to spend more. The real problem is that Trump conflates defence spending with US subsidy of European nations.
  • Options

Dearie me, this is not a 'problem', it is a benefit.

Also, it will finally turn the Tory party from management of decline to actually taking responsibility and getting something done for the People.

Alternatively, it'll kill the Tories as a party of government for 10y+.

Something for everybody..
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

2.74 on Betfair for an election before the end of 2019. I'd be tempted, except that I haven't a clue about the mechanics.
    I found this report about the latest situation.

https://www.thelocal.se/20181105/swedish-moderates-leader-ulf-kristersson-to-be-proposed-as-pm
  • Options
    FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    Indeed. So Trump should be happy Macron proposes to spend more. The real problem is that Trump conflates defence spending with US subsidy of European nations.
    Isn't the whole point of an EU army that the individual countries pay even less?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    That was nailed on from the start. The EU isn't going to do anything different to accommodate the UK for its own institutions, such as the Customs Union.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    shiney2 said:

Also, it will finally turn the Tory party from management of decline to actually taking responsibility and getting something done for the People.

What about people who just want the country run competently?
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    Isn't the whole point of an EU army that the individual countries pay even less?
    The EU isn't really proposing an army. It's a coordinated shared capability. So Germany and Romania might have a shared battalion where Germany provides the equipment and training and Romania most of the soldiers. It is also a way bringing in the Swedes and Finns, who aren't part of NATO. It is also a symbolic, political project
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    The EU isn't really proposing an army. It's a coordinated shared capability. So Germany and Romania might have a shared battalion where Germany provides the equipment and training and Romania most of the soldiers. It is also a way bringing in the Swedes and Finns, who aren't part of NATO. It is also a symbolic, political project
    Sure, that's how it's sold. But we all know where it leads.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Quincel said:

shiney2 said:

People will be found.

It is fundamental to *our* system of democracy.

No particular permanent rules, just a malleable framework.

MrsMay is not just useless, she's a disaster. There is is better out there..
  • Options
    Oh my days..... 2 hour 20 mins set.... Aging fans not used to standing for so long saw a few fallers towards the home strait and worth every penny. The politicians may be pants but we can still do music in this country...
  • Options

Oh my days..... 2 hour 20 mins set.... Aging fans not used to standing for so long saw a few fallers towards the home strait and worth every penny. The politicians may be pants but we can still do music in this country...

A sudden sense of liberty?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    dr_spyn said:
    Macron is right. If the Europeans want to increase defence spending then their interests are better served by doing it an EU framework. NATO's policy objectives are always 100% aligned with US interests so why should the EU subsidse the US in that manner?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Not really because some countries get far more for their money than others by being better at procurement and program management.
  • Options

Fantastic. The reworking of subculture was the highlight for me but what a gig that was. At the end when the lights came on the audience looked so deathly pale and out on their collective feet.
  • Options

Fantastic. The reworking of subculture was the highlight for me but what a gig that was. At the end when the lights came on the audience looked so deathly pale and out on their collective feet.
    In the end you will submit
    It's got to hurt a little bit
  • Options

I feel so extraordinary...
  • Options

I feel so extraordinary...
    Getting away with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSfjtdnUsls
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1060953593048715264

Ok. Let's do it.

You win big and we agree to shut up for a generation.

• Options
    Oakeshott being yet another journo/policy wonk from the Right who personally will lose nothing, other than a slight delay boarding eurostar for their next weekend away.

Meanwhile my family members are reliant on medicines that may not be available in April.
  • Options

Oakeshott being yet another journo/policy wonk from the Right who personally will lose nothing, other than a slight delay boarding eurostar for their next weekend away.

Meanwhile my family members are reliant on medicines that may not be available in April.

I refuse to believe a deal wouldn’t be worked out covering essentials like that. Are the EU really so callous?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Scott_P said:
    We have spent months going down a rabbit hole, off a rabbit hole, off a rabbit hole......

We've tried. But it's time to deploy the "well, fuck right off then" approach. There's £39 billion available. The EU aren't dealing in good faith - so here's our take-it-or-leave-it offer on the table: the UK gets to decide whether we have met the criteria on the backstop. Agree to that, or it's a no deal. Down to you, guys.

Oh, and to concentrate minds, the £39 billion on offer reduces by a billion a day from next Wednesday....
    They'll just say "no deal", then wait for our complete capitulation over the winter. And if we somehow stick to our pointed-at-our-own-heads guns, it'll turn out that the price tag for those reciprocal agreements we'd desperately need to rush through would be somewhere in the region of 39 billion...
  • Options

Ok. Let's do it.

You did that last time.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

Ok. Let's do it.

You did that last time.
    eh?
  • Options
    RobD said:

I refuse to believe a deal wouldn’t be worked out covering essentials like that. Are the EU really so callous?
    You want to rely on that? It is not about personal vindictiveness, but laws, rules, civil servants, pen pusher etc.

I'm sure no one in EU wants to stop my family members getting their drugs, but oh well there's some issue at Dover and some paper work and oh well these things are difficult...

• Options

RobD said:

You want to rely on that? It is not about personal vindictiveness, but laws, rules, civil servants, pen pusher etc.

I'm sure no one in EU wants to stop my family members getting their drugs, but oh well there's some issue at Dover and some paper work and oh well these things are difficult...

Sounds pretty callous to me!
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Scott_P said:
    Forgive us if we don’t take lessons in right and wrong from so-called journalists who shop their sources.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The EU will also face serious medicine shortages in the event of a no deal no deal as some supplies are wholly dependent on the UK. Just as well they haven’t degraded EMA capacity by 30%....
  • Options
    Anyone repeating Isabel Oakshott rumours will be banned.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

:o... what juicy gossip did I miss?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is that rumours by Ms Oakshott or about Ms Oakshott?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    edited November 2018

rcs1000 said:

Is that rumours by Ms Oakshott or about Ms Oakshott?
    And what about rumours involving Isabel Oakeshott ? ;)
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited November 2018
    H
    shiney2 said:

Quincel said:

shiney2 said:

People will be found.

Which of the liars, incompetents, racists, buffoons, shits and fools that make up Brexit supporters are you pinning your hopes on?

Your post is Brexit in a nutshell - something will turn up. Life rarely works like that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited November 2018
    Florida is back in play on the Betfair markets !!!

My old position is there too - never ever seen a market be resurrected like that before.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Pulpstar said:

Florida is back in play on the Betfair markets !!!

My old position is there too - never ever seen a market be resurrected like that before.

interesting - I wondered what would happen to bets if the result were to be reversed.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

Ok. Let's do it.

You did that last time.
    You're getting this wrong.

We're in a situation where hardcore leavers will never shut up. There will always be something to moan about, to whine about; someone else to blame for supposed ills that are, in fact, our own responsibility.

It's far easier to blame other people and scream "The EU!", "Immigrants!" than it is to take a good, long hard look at our own decisions.

So I fail to see why remainers who believe that EU membership is a positive should shut up, either. We've had decades of leavers poisoning debate; they can now expect remainers to treat them with the same contempt.

On a side issue: too many people are seeing Brexit as a panacea that will cure what they see as the country's problems. We'll be free, dammit, and everyone will do what we want!

It's a dangerous attitude, and it's deluded.
  • Options
    Sounds as though Trump is doubling down on Whitaker, despite his being a deeply dodgy individual, and his appointment likely illegal:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/416044-ex-white-house-counsel-interviewed-whitaker-about-joining-trumps

Note the “I don’t know him personally” qualification.
    Whitaker has bee appointed to do a job - do his utmost to sabotage the Mueller investigation.
    after that he is disposable.

It is as though America is determined to find out how it would have played out if Nixon hadn’t resigned.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525

Various thoughts:
    3) The most interesting UK economic stat for today was the continued increase in house building, with that and house price growth reduced to manageable levels I wonder if the Conservatives will get a boost from Generation Now Able To Buy

Is there a link for that?

Thanks
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,982
    matt said:

H

shiney2 said:

Quincel said:

shiney2 said:

People will be found.

Which of the liars, incompetents, racists, buffoons, shits and fools that make up Brexit supporters are you pinning your hopes on?

Your post is Brexit in a nutshell - something will turn up. Life rarely works like that.
    To be fair something usually does turn up, but there’s an equal chance of that something making things worse.
  • Options

shiney2 said:

Ok. Let's do it.

You did that last time.
    ....On a side issue: too many people are seeing Brexit as a panacea that will cure what they see as the country's problems. We'll be free, dammit, and everyone will do what we want!

I don’t think it a side issue at all; it is rather the fundamental issue.

• Options

shiney2 said:

Ok. Let's do it.

You did that last time.

We're in a situation where hardcore leavers will never shut up. There will always be something to moan about, to whine about; someone else to blame for supposed ills that are, in fact, our own responsibility.

It's far easier to blame other people and scream "The EU!", "Immigrants!" than it is to take a good, long hard look at our own decisions.

So I fail to see why remainers who believe that EU membership is a positive should shut up, either. We've had decades of leavers poisoning debate; they can now expect remainers to treat them with the same contempt.

On a side issue: too many people are seeing Brexit as a panacea that will cure what they see as the country's problems. We'll be free, dammit, and everyone will do what we want!

Simplistic solutions attract simpletons.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Brexit cures baldness.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Brexit cures baldness.

Creates hairy palms anyway. Brexit supporters, go back to your bedrooms and sit on your hands. You have nothing to lose but your virginity.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited November 2018
    As a non hairy palmed person, it occurred to me that since we do not know the detail of May's deal with the Eu, all the talk both for and against is just speculation. One thing you can be sure of is that both sides are lying about the effect.
  • Options
    May’s Brexit is the equivalent of a wig. When the people voted themselves a full head of hair, no wonder there’s hell toupee.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Arizona now a 20,000 gap in favour of the Dem.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited November 2018
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    Yeah right. Pull the other one it’s got bells on.

This is exactly the sort of salami slice the whole edifice is built on. The problem in a nutshell.

A little coordinating here, a little alignment there, just a bit more harmonisation, etc etc, and hey presto you end up in a place the electorate wouldn’t want to go to in a month of Sundays, and all without the tiresome need of convincing anybody to vote for it. I believe Jean Monet predicted it all as a modus operandi- so at least he was honest.

It’s how we went from an overwhelmingly trade biased agreement of nine, with vetos galore to a continent wide union stuffed with QMV. “European Citizenship”, and Jean Claude Juncker having a say over my life.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    matt said:

shiney2 said:

Ok. Let's do it.

You did that last time.

Nevertheless politicians have a responsibility to speak up for the interests of the country and yet, as JJ says, have badly let us down.

The reason Boris is held in such contempt is that he is the worst - his personal instincts are liberal and pro-European, as shared by the rest of his family, yet both as a journalist and a politician he sold out to the temptation of using the EU issue to attract attention and further his own career.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Aren't there legal consequences regarding the £39 billion?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Jonathan said:

May’s Brexit is the equivalent of a wig. When the people voted themselves a full head of hair, no wonder there’s hell toupee.

I think I sense a fake hair...
  • Options
  • Options
    There are just so many puns open to that headline...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

matt said:

shiney2 said:

Ok. Let's do it.

You did that last time.

Nevertheless politicians have a responsibility to speak up for the interests of the country and yet, as JJ says, have badly let us down.

The reason Boris is held in such contempt is that he is the worst - his personal instincts are liberal and pro-European, as shared by the rest of his family, yet both as a journalist and a politician he sold out to the temptation of using the EU issue to attract attention and further his own career.
    In defence (slightly) of politicians, a big reason that they've let us down is that the great British public don't want to hear hard truths. It's much easier to believe simplistic so-called 'solutions' than complex solutions that will work.

Take railway renationalisation. People seem to want it because it will 'improve' the railways. And there is a chance it may: then again, there's a better chance IMO it would be a disaster, especially as the people running the railways would largely be the people leading to the current problems.

It's a simple solution that's easy to sell, but the chances are it wouldn't work.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That's the bald truth. we will just have to comb clean.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

The referendum had a split end?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

I blame the lunatic fringe.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

I blame the lunatic fringe.
    People keep telling us they're all dye-ing off though.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

We need to mullet over again.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

lWe need to mullet over again.
    Or have a second vote to e-razor the result?

(No, incidentally, I don't think we should and certainly I don't think we will. I just like that pun.)
  • Options
    Why do angels not have beards?

Because men only get to Heaven by a close shave.
This discussion has been closed.