Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Good news for TMay: Montgomerie’s backing suggests that the de

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,122

If May gets Cabinet to agree, doesn't the month to December give her time to face down the ERG? It may have 48 letters, it does not have 148

But then what? How does this pass the Commons?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Jonathan said:

I never thought my contempt for the ERG/Leavers would increase, but it has grown exponentially in the last 36 hours.

Absolute bellends.

Tories innit. Agreed.
    You’re a supporter of the Jew baiting party. Hard to take the moral high ground.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    What, precisely, will this caretaker leader be expected to do? If they are to be there until the Brexit process is to be completed what Brexit process do they want to be completed?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,200

And how angry will they be when May wins ?
    it's going to be quite difficult to admit at dinner parties that you are a member of the ERG. I mean how embarrassing can you get?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Is that the Steven Woolfe who got into a punch-up in the EU Parl while a UKIP MEP?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    DavidL said:

What takes precedence, a VONC inside the Tory Party or a statement to the HoC? If there is a VONC tomorrow will the statement be postponed? Surely it has to be. Its a statement by the PM and that might not be her.

Surely she would remain PM until a successor had been chosen?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If May gets Cabinet to agree, doesn't the month to December give her time to face down the ERG? It may have 48 letters, it does not have 148

It doesn't. You can generally tell how hopeless a suggestion is by how much it relies on things just, somehow, working out. People expecting a deal to pass are expecting dozens of people including many on remain and leave sides who are being very forthright to do complete 180s, and expecting dozens of Labour MPs who are not indicating they are going to help get this through to suddenly do so. It's wishful thinking at play.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Is that the Steven Woolfe who got into a punch-up in the EU Parl while a UKIP MEP?
    Yup
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Dominic Raab not going to Brussels

Resigning?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

with Labour support
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Where does the ERG go if they force a VONC in May and lose getting, say, 45 votes? Do they resign the Whip? Do they offer the government confidence and supply but no Brexit votes? Or do they wimp out again?

They are so irrational about this it is hard to predict. There are 318 Tories and 262 Labour which means they would need 57 resigning the whip to make Labour the largest party. That seems unlikely but we are in wonderland here.

Surely if they resigned the whip that would stop them standing as Conservative candidates at the next election ?
    Yes it would. It would be the corn laws all over again.
    Worse than the Corn Laws split IMO.
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325

I never thought my contempt for the ERG/Leavers would increase, but it has grown exponentially in the last 36 hours.

Absolute bellends.

There's bellends a plenty.

The ERG hardliners who can't bank wins on 90% of what they wanted.
    Europhiles who are willing to trash the country in the forlorn hope of rejoining their beloved EU.
    Scottish nationalists wanting to wreck the country to encourage independence.
    Irish loyalists happy to trash the country rather than have some minor differences in widget standards.
    Labour MPs putting partisan advantage above the wellbeing of the working class, even when it will cement Corbyn in power.

This will end up with a hard left Corbyn government exacerbating the crash of a cliff edge. The resulting devastation to jobs and living standards will drive extreme populism of both the Trump amd Chavez varieties. Sensible conservatism, liberalism and social democracy will all be washed away and the British public will suffer.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited November 2018
    justin124 said:

DavidL said:

What takes precedence, a VONC inside the Tory Party or a statement to the HoC? If there is a VONC tomorrow will the statement be postponed? Surely it has to be. Its a statement by the PM and that might not be her.

Surely she would remain PM until a successor had been chosen?
    She doesn't have to. She can go now. The cabinet would nominate a successor.
  • Options
    Brexit Advance Coalition.

WTAF (as I believe the yoot say, or write)
  • Options

DavidL said:

with Labour support
    Possible but unlikely. Keeping a Tory PM in office? That's a really big ask.
  • Options
    Starting to think the smart bet is for TM to make it to 2040, but with her apparently being deposed every 12 days.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Quincel said:

Starting to think the smart bet is for TM to make it to 2040, but with her apparently being deposed every 12 days.

2040ad or 2040pm?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905

The oddest movement on Betfair is that Jeremy Corbyn is shortening all the time for next Prime Minister at exactly the time when it looks increasingly likely that the next Prime Minister will be a Conservative selected before the next election.

If she wins a VONC, but perhaps struggles to get a deal through parliament, then might be logical to call another general election whilst leader?
  • Options
    BBC reporting from Europe that non of the member states have seen the deal and they will not consider it until it is submitted as they do not trust Barnier !!!
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    John Murphy
    @John_murphy1
    30s30 seconds ago

Has the Cabinet murdered Theresa May?
    0 replies . 0 retweets 0 likes
  • Options
    Where is she?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

with Labour support
    admittedly a bit like Harold Godwinson having seen off one set of enemies at Stamford birdge marched down to Hastings, only to be defeated at the last moment and defenestrated.
  • Options
    2 mins to statement says Sky
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

BBC reporting from Europe that non of the member states have seen the deal and they will not consider it until it is submitted as they do not trust Barnier !!!

'sake
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

The oddest movement on Betfair is that Jeremy Corbyn is shortening all the time for next Prime Minister at exactly the time when it looks increasingly likely that the next Prime Minister will be a Conservative selected before the next election.

If she wins a VONC, but perhaps struggles to get a deal through parliament, then might be logical to call another general election whilst leader?
    :+1:
  • Options

Resigning?
    Taking over?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,005
    Quincel said:

And the “Blue Wave” is Arron Banks’ entryist group.
  • Options

DavidL said:

with Labour support
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    She already knew that because the ERG clearly wouldn't vote for it! It doesn't show anything new!
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

with Labour support
    It shouldn't be - there has to be a high chance that the DUP will no longer back the Tories, even if the Tories ditch May after a deal, and crusty brexiteers will probably rebel on all sorts of things in retaliation even if they do not do the sensible thing and resign the whip (in the event a deal passes). So getting a deal hardly props up the government for long, a new GE might be unavoidable as rebels and the opposition conspire to bring it down after a deal, while the Tories are weakened.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Jonathan said:

Quincel said:

2040ad or 2040pm?
  • Options

Resigning?
    Taking over?
    Buying a map of Europe, so that he can work out where the ports are?
  • Options

Resigning?
    Couldn't get one of those visa waivers we'll need going forward.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    kle4 said:

What, precisely, will this caretaker leader be expected to do? If they are to be there until the Brexit process is to be completed what Brexit process do they want to be completed?
    They do not have the votes to oust May but even if they did the new leader would be caretaker for barely a few months at best before Corbyn takes over and agrees an almost identical deal to May's anyway but with a permanent Customs Union committed to
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,616
    £1=$1.129397 2018-11-14 19:05 UTC

See https://www.xe.com/

• Options
    That sure is a great door.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They do not have the votes to oust May but even if they did the new leader would be caretaker for barely a few months at best before Corbyn takes over and agrees an almost identical deal to May's anyway but with a permanent Customs Union committed to
    The ERG crowd would prefer that it seems, given they would also prefer remain to this deal (that is the implication at any rate, since they appear to be saying this is worse than remaining).

But it does make it a very odd statement. "The PM does not have support for this and must be taken down, then an unknown caretaker with an unknown Brexit position would definitely then sort things out".

May is crap, and the deal is probably crap, but what does rejecting all this achieve? No deal, probably.
  • Options
    I'm so glad I'm going to be in Canada when Brexit happens.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think its hinges are somewhat underworked in recent times.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

no it's still at $1.29
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Are they changing the Guard down the road? Sounds like a Drill Sergeant barking orders.
  • Options
    Awesome action at No. 10 as the camera man tests out his zoom and focus on the mics in front of the door.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,789
    If Theresa walks out of Downing St. before the Cabinet does that mean she's toast?
  • Options
  • Options

viewcode said:

no it's still at $1.29
    Arse sorry: typo (superfluous "1")

£1=$1.29397 2018-11-14 19:05 UTC

I am a bad viewcode
  • Options
    99/100 this will be a total anti-climax. These moments are always quite fun to think 'what if'.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Are they changing the Guard down the road? Sounds like a Drill Sergeant barking orders.
    It's that stop Brexit weirdo shouting.

I think he may end shouting for the entirety of Mrs May's statement.
  • Options
    Or, indeed, if parliament in a 'meaningful vote' asks for something else?

I hope Labour and the Grievers like no deal.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Remainer demonstrations
  • Options
    Sam Coates Times (@SamCoatesTimes)

Gavin Barwell apparently seeing junior ministers in 10 minutes
    November 14, 2018

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,212
    TOPPING said:

Metal masquerading as wood.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

The hinges of course famously are on the wrong side, aren't they?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

I assumed that was some Brexiteer nutter.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

If Theresa walks out of Downing St. before the Cabinet does that mean she's toast?

Would it be best if she delivered a statement with them all standing behind her in a show of unity I wonder.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

They are out through the back door probably?
  • Options
    Feels like forever waiting for this statement
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

The hinges of course famously are on the wrong side, aren't they?
    Yup, it also doesn't have a front door key.
  • Options

Please can you take Boris with you? He’s obsessed with Canada.
  • Options
    Will the door be more exciting than the statement?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

It's that stop Brexit weirdo shouting.

I think he may end shouting for the entirety of Mrs May's statement.
    It's not William Glenn is it? :D
  • Options

Well then we are lucky it is meaningless as the MPs have already made up their minds.
  • Options

Please can you take Boris with you? He’s obsessed with Canada.
    And leave him there
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

GIN1138 said:

They are out through the back door probably?
    Or not allowed out until she has spoken?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

99/100 this will be a total anti-climax. These moments are always quite fun to think 'what if'.

I think you’re sadly right.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
  • Options
    This smacks of a serious rewrite to me. That is not good.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    How funny would it be if May walks out, says "strong and stable, Brexit means Brexit", and then turns and walks straight back in?
  • Options
    2018-11-14 19:13 UTC

£1=$1.29475
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    The Moggster has not put in a letter.

Yet.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be funny if it somehow did get through parliament but then a single EU country refuses to back it?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wouldn't it be funny if it somehow did get through parliament but then a single EU country refuses to back it?

QMV does at this stage.
  • Options
    She might just say the Cabinet will reconvene tomorrow morning!
  • Options

Gordon Rayner (@gordonrayner)

I am hearing that the Cabinet has agreed to Theresa May's proposed Brexit Withdrawal Agreement. Statement from Prime Minister expected any minute now
    November 14, 2018

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

QMV does at this stage.
    Plus the European Parliament has to sign it off too.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well then we are lucky it is meaningless as the MPs have already made up their minds.
    It’s literally Groundhog Day with these all these rumours of a VONC. If I had a penny for every time it was supposed to happen....
  • Options
    Interesting to think that Greece doesn't want us to leave lest the Germans take over even more fully...
  • Options

She might just say the Cabinet will reconvene tomorrow morning!

Given her ability for can kicking that's probably the most likely outcome...
  • Options
    I've had relationships that have lasted longer than the wait for Theresa May's statement.
  • Options

I am hearing that the Cabinet has agreed to Theresa May's proposed Brexit Withdrawal Agreement. Statement from Prime Minister expected any minute now
    November 14, 2018

has she accepted any resignations...
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

November 14, 2018

And so it begins.
  • Options
    2018-11-14 19:16 UTC

£1=$1.29670
  • Options
    rpjs said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

QMV does at this stage.
    Plus the European Parliament has to sign it off too.
    They're cheap though.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777

November 14, 2018

If that's true, "Rejoice!"
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

November 14, 2018

Will there be a vote in Parliament next?
  • Options

November 14, 2018

How do they hear this? Shouldn't they have surrendered their phones when they went into the meeting?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

November 14, 2018

How do they hear this? Shouldn't they have surrendered their phones when they went into the meeting?
    they've all but left now

• Options
    Remember Chequers... We might need 24 hrs to judge the success of this baby.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,895
    Is she out uet
  • Options

November 14, 2018

has she accepted any resignations...
    No word about that.
  • Options
    Telegraph reports deal backed by cabinet
  • Options

I've had relationships that have lasted longer than the wait for Theresa May's statement.

And possibly some that were shorter?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Remember Chequers... We might need 24 hrs to judge the success of this baby.

24 years more like
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

November 14, 2018

And so it begins.
    Be quiet Kosh... :)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

And possibly some that were shorter?
    Yes one was very short.
This discussion has been closed.