Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab’s resignation sparks off huge movements on the TMay exit,

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sir Godfrey Bankershire and Margaret Jobsworthy-Dolebuster have both resigned.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,477
    Wake up Vince! Time to lead the nation...
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Soon to be Baroness May should have known only the feckless and vain spend months perfecting their signatures
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Fenman said:

brendan16 said:

Suella Braverman resigns.

And Anne Marie Trevelyan - PPS at Education. Surely that is the final blow for May?!

https://twitter.com/annietrev
    Never heard of them. You're starting to make names up, aren't you?
    Its possible of course Suella Braverman might unresign again once the whips have a word - as was the case post Chequers.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/09/junior-brexit-minister-suella-braveman-not-quit-david-davis-despite-reports-7694229/
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,813

kle4 said:

I genuinely don't get why these people didn't resign last night. If they couldn't support it no need to take stock of media or party reaction or likelihood of passing and it's not like it is one last favour to May to give her one night of fake unity. Why the delay?

8am 8am 10am

11 am Khan??

Hunt will go, too. This is all about the forthcoming leadership election and the only way you get to stand is by resigning. It's all so transparent. Never has the total lack of a credible opposition been so damaging to the national interest.

This is Corbyns fault LOL Your credibility is as shot as Mays

Do you write the Sun Says?
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    The only thing I fear is a Corbyn govt.

I don't like the EU but I'd rather Remain than have Corbyn.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Jonathan said:

The problem for the GE is what is in the Tory manifesto.

Who cares? They are not fit to govern.

The problem is, neither is Corbyn...
    Blair and Umma need to get a wiggle on and get En Marche up and running...
    :D:D:D

So... Raab is gone and his Junior Minister is gone. I take it that means that no one at DExEU believes in the exit deal.

The deal is dead - lone live the .... errrr.... gaping void in the political continuum?????
  • brendan16 said:

Suella Braverman resigns.

And Anne Marie Trevelyan - PPS at Education. Surely that is the final blow for May?!

https://twitter.com/annietrev
    It May be the final blow :)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,566

kle4 said:

I genuinely don't get why these people didn't resign last night. If they couldn't support it no need to take stock of media or party reaction or likelihood of passing and it's not like it is one last favour to May to give her one night of fake unity. Why the delay?

8am 8am 10am

11 am Khan??

Hunt will go, too. This is all about the forthcoming leadership election and the only way you get to stand is by resigning. It's all so transparent.

Agreed. What the f*ck was the point of last night? Some sick joke to make May pretend she had even got it past the cabinet table,
  • “Earlier this morning”

Please Miss! Miss! Please!

I resigned before he did miss! He cheated! I was first Miss!

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    Jonathan said:

If she loses Sir Bufton-Tufton, she's lost the Shires - and all hope.....
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

“Earlier this morning”

Please Miss! Miss! Please!

I resigned before he did miss! He cheated! I was first Miss!

Really? I doubt that's what she was going for there
  • An idea that has been much discussed. Will it now actually come to pass?
    Who the heck would they get to lead it? Hammond?!
    Fenster said:

The only thing I fear is a Corbyn govt.

I don't like the EU but I'd rather Remain than have Corbyn.

I think we'll be getting both.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Jonathan said:

Any word on Charlie Falconer?
  • May in the house
  • May speaking to laughter as if nothing's wrong. She's delusional.
    edited November 2018

Jonathan said:

If she loses Sir Bufton-Tufton, she's lost the Shires - and all hope.....
    If Mike Hunt from Essex goes, she's lost the Thatcher boys and the C2DEs
  • The deal that Theresa May and Olly Robbins have cooked up is what happens when you task vegans with making a meat pie.

You're a leaver. You argued for leave.

You own this, and you own the consequences.
    I'd accept that - if the current shit-show hadn't had Remainer ring-masters.

Olly Robbins has done nothing in my name. Or in my cause.

I blame Gove for where we are.
    What bullshit. This is what you voted for. It doesn't matter what flights of fancy fluttered through your fevered, deranged imagination: it was obvious that the two leave options could not be reconciled.

And you're doing exactly what leavers were doing before the referendum: it isn't our fault; it's the EU's fault.

There's always someone else for you to blame for your own fuckup.
    Utter bullshit. If this is what we'd voted for it would be getting lapped up by Leavers. Its patently obvious this is some meally mouthed bullshit cooked up by those who didn't believe in Brexit.

May said 2 things that were true: no deal is better than a bad deal and in order to deliver Brexit you need to believe in Brexit. May and Robbins didn't believe in Brexit and have come up with a turd of a deal.

You voted for something that was impossible to deliver. You voted for unicorns. There is no imaginable situation under which we get all the benefits of EU membership without any of the obligations. It's that simple. The only issue is what you prioritise. And all the evidence is that for most Leavers restricting immigration while causing the minimum possible economic harm was the number one priority. That is what May focused on and that is how we got to where we are today.

• volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Who will May replace McVile with? The qualifications include a vicious,callous sociopathy and a belief in the use of starvation and death as instruments of government social security policy.Will they be forced to stop and scrap Universal Credit by the UN?
    Hammond looks even more miserable than usual.
    Laughter at takes back control
  • This is cringeworthy. If I was a Labour whip I'd be encouraging nothing but laughter to every line.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,840

The deal that Theresa May and Olly Robbins have cooked up is what happens when you task vegans with making a meat pie.

What bullshit. This is what you voted for. It doesn't matter what flights of fancy fluttered through your fevered, deranged imagination: it was obvious that the two leave options could not be reconciled.

And you're doing exactly what leavers were doing before the referendum: it isn't our fault; it's the EU's fault.

Utter bullshit. If this is what we'd voted for it would be getting lapped up by Leavers. Its patently obvious this is some meally mouthed bullshit cooked up by those who didn't believe in Brexit.

May said 2 things that were true: no deal is better than a bad deal and in order to deliver Brexit you need to believe in Brexit. May and Robbins didn't believe in Brexit and have come up with a turd of a deal.
    " ... by those who didn't believe in Brexit. "

Ah, yes Brexit as a faith. Brexit as a religion. Believe in Brexit, for those with the true faith will sit at the right hand of Farage.
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    dr_spyn said:
    Anybody who could write a phrase like "with a profoundly heavy heart" is no loss.
    brendan16 said:

Hammond looks even more miserable than usual.

I suspect he knows the game is up.

Gove isn't on the front bench in the Commons right now, is he?
  • May now making her (final?) speech to HoC.
    Alright Anna, you smartarse, who leads that to do what? Remain? Oh how convenient.
    Laughter is cruel.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

8am 8am 10am

11 am Khan??

Hunt will go, too. This is all about the forthcoming leadership election and the only way you get to stand is by resigning. It's all so transparent.

Agreed. What the f*ck was the point of last night? Some sick joke to make May pretend she had even got it past the cabinet table,
    I think it's just timing for media coverage, maybe some coordination between them. Not their fault that people online jumped the gun thinking that the risk of resignation had passed. There's a long history of resignations happening in the days after the initial event
  • Foxy said:

A government of national unity would need to be led by someone who couldn't be a leader of the Tories or Labour, so Vince fits that bill but so do many others.

May speaking to laughter as if nothing's wrong. She's delusional.

When they laugh at you, you are finished...
  • kle4 said:

8am 8am 10am

11 am Khan??

Hunt will go, too. This is all about the forthcoming leadership election and the only way you get to stand is by resigning. It's all so transparent. Never has the total lack of a credible opposition been so damaging to the national interest.

Hunt (and any other would-be successor) might be best advised to visit John Major's dentist rather than resigning; to look statesmanlike while fervently hoping the PM has gone before tea-time.
    edited November 2018
    I see dead people.......
  • Bingo! This should have happened months ago, why bother now?

Foxy said:

A government of national unity would need to be led by someone who couldn't be a leader of the Tories or Labour, so Vince fits that bill but so do many others.
    Get the DUP in Downing Street!

Foxy said:

He almost fits the profile of someone who couldn't be leader of the Lib Dems, too...

Who will May replace McVile with? The qualifications include a vicious,callous sociopathy and a belief in the use of starvation and death as instruments of government social security policy.Will they be forced to stop and scrap Universal Credit by the UN?

The government is a zombie now, nothing it says matters.
  • Mr. Observer, taking time to decide a position and plan for WTO, if it came to that, was within her gift. May instead winged it with short term tactics that have led to this result.
    Crisis....What crisis?

Has she not worked out yet that "nothing has changed" doesn't work out for her?
  • XenonXenon Posts: 471

The deal that Theresa May and Olly Robbins have cooked up is what happens when you task vegans with making a meat pie.

You voted for something that was impossible to deliver. You voted for unicorns. There is no imaginable situation under which we get all the benefits of EU membership without any of the obligations. It's that simple. The only issue is what you prioritise. And all the evidence is that for most Leavers restricting immigration while causing the minimum possible economic harm was the number one priority. That is what May focused on and that is how we got to where we are today.

I actually think it is impossible to leave the EU in any way without massive problems.

It shows how we'd lost our sovereignty a long time ago, but a no-deal Brexit now might be the only way to get out without bloodshed.
  • dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The fundamental fact in all this is that May does not have the votes in the HoC. She needs to make a bold offer to someone.

A full, open and honest offer to Nick Clegg.

Practically, there are only two parties she can make an offer to: Labour and the SNP. What could she possibly offer them?
    A referendum or an election.

The SNP an IndyRef to opt-out of the deal.
    Labour a 1 Mar General Election.

or

A second referendum. Deal, No Deal or No Brexit.
    I thought of that, but I don't think the SNP would take Indyref2 now, they want to do it in a couple of years when the Brexit backlash is at its nastiest in Scotland.

But yes: if May made an agreement to form a grand coalition with Corbyn that lasts until the day after the deal is voted through Parliament followed by an immediate dissolution and early Jan election?

Corbyn would go for that.
    She would be out of office the day she suggested it
    It's looking like she's going to be out of office today anyway. She's got nothing left to lose. ROLL THOSE DICE.
    She is not going to make a suicidal offer to labour, though how long she stays in office is another question
    She needs to do something radical.
    It is Hail Mary time.
    GE 2nd referendum, national govt, article 50 withdrawal or resignation.
    Nothing has changed is not an option.
    - A GE can't support her position; it would deliver govt to Lab. Not an option for her.
    - A national government isn't possible because there aren't the MPs to support it.
    - A 2nd referendum? On what? And is it worth weeks of parliamentary fighting to deliver a vote that results in a murky mandate?
    - A50 withdrawal is legally dubious: the Notification Act only gave her the right to notify the EU of the UK's intention to leave; not its intention to remain. On top of which is whether it's legally possible under EU law. And either way, she'd be No Confidenced. Not an option.
    - Resignation is certainly a possibility but doesn't get anywhere closer to a solution.

I think she has to prepare for the deal being voted down and to lay out *now* what that means - which is going back to Brussels to get a revision. In reality, the only revisions possible - to my mind - are to trade an even closer transitional relationship, with NI and GB on the same basis, for a proper (unilateral or time-limited) break clause. The Tory Ultras won't like it but it has to be explored before No Deal becomes inevitable.
  • TMay is ok until Lord Falconer quits.
    The key for me is does OGH think May is done? He's generally optimistic on her chances

Mr. Observer, taking time to decide a position and plan for WTO, if it came to that, was within her gift. May instead winged it with short term tactics that have led to this result.

Yes. It's utterly absurd that they didn't plan for this from day 1, even before Article 50 was triggered.
  • The deal that Theresa May and Olly Robbins have cooked up is what happens when you task vegans with making a meat pie.

Ah, yes Brexit as a faith. Brexit as a religion. Believe in Brexit, for those with the true faith will sit at the right hand of Farage.
    Believe in Britain!

Be LEAVE! :innocent:
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044

When they laugh at you, you are finished...
    I don't think the public will react well to that. They should be outraged not laughing. As SO said - Brexiteers are protected from the decisions they make but so are parliament's remainers.
    kle4 said:

The key for me is does OGH think May is done? He's generally optimistic on her chances

But OGH was optimistic on the LibDems chances in 2015.....
    Wot no Gove.

Belief in a policy, belief it was the right thing to do. Religions aren't the only things that require belief.

I believe lower taxes improve economic growth, that's not a religion its an educated thought.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,773
    Will the last person to leave Her Majesty's Government please turn out the lights... :D

Mr. Observer, taking time to decide a position and plan for WTO, if it came to that, was within her gift. May instead winged it with short term tactics that have led to this result.

She has not been a good PM. That doesn't take away people's choice about this deal or not and that means if we remain or GE and Corbyn gets in that is still on them. It will be more defendable the worse May did but they are still choosing to risk remain no deal and Corbyn and May doing a bad job doesn't make that less their choice.
  • kle4 said:

The government is a zombie now, nothing it says matters.
    May of the Dead?

Believe in Britain!

Be LEAVE! :innocent:
    I was waiting for that. ;)

kle4 said:

But OGH was optimistic on the LibDems chances in 2015.....
    I didn't mean key ad that signals it's done, I meant key as when It will be admitted it's done.
  • GIN1138 said:

Will the last person to leave Her Majesty's Government please turn out the lights... :D

And indeed Brexit. It seems inevitable that we will remain now
    Kind of wish I hadn't bothered reading around 400 pages of the agreement now.
    Xenon said:

Yes. It's utterly absurd that they didn't plan for this from day 1, even before Article 50 was triggered.
    Quite.

The only "planning" was late on - to issue Plagues of Frogs and Boils warnings about Hard Brexit, sector by sector, and very late on in the process. This was aimed purely at ensuring No Deal was too scary to ever contemplate.
  • There is nothing in law requiring the PM to be a Member of Parliament - indeed all of them spend election campaigns not as an MP. So why just look to the tired members of the green benches.

Possible leaders of the National Government
    Nigel Farrage
    Tony Blair
    Alan Sugar
    Howling Laud Hope
    Jane Horrocks (it worked on The Amazing Mrs Pritchard
  • GIN1138 said:

Little would make me happier but a no deal exit is far more likely.
  • So May has basically just said that because of the promises of no hard border in Northern Ireland, No Deal was never an option?

So much for 'no deal is better than a bad deal' then.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited November 2018
    GBP plummeting.

Brexit is proving a calamity as I said on day one. Nothing has changed.

Second referendum pointless as we will probably get the same result. The gormless brainless morons who voted Leave first time round will do it again.

We are in a bind!
  • So basically Deal, or No Deal.
  • Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

He almost fits the profile of someone who couldn't be leader of the Lib Dems, too...
    Also applies to May, Corbyn and their respective parties.
    Looks like a broken woman to me
  • Mr. Observer, taking time to decide a position and plan for WTO, if it came to that, was within her gift. May instead winged it with short term tactics that have led to this result.

WTO wouldn’t honour the referendum result.

GIN1138 said:

Not inevitable but the most likely.

I hope every brexit is brexit fan will now openly support remaining, it is after all better than a bad deal.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Foxy said:

Won't he be practising for his appearance on Strictly in Blackpool?
  • There is nothing in law requiring the PM to be a Member of Parliament - indeed all of them spend election campaigns not as an MP. So why just look to the tired members of the green benches.

Nigel Farrage
    Tony Blair
    Alan Sugar
    Howling Laud Hope

Brian Cox.
  • This is more serious - from BBC cricket

Phil Burdekin: Since 9am there have been more cabinet resignations then Sri Lankan wickets...
    Lord Falconer quits.
  • Looks like Stewart promoted
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    kle4 said:

Alright Anna, you smartarse, who leads that to do what? Remain? Oh how convenient.
    @Kle4 I think we (I include you as a moderate) have to face reality, the vision of a sensible brexit died today I think. It's either remain or no deal. It's a shame because May's deal looked good to me.

Xenon said:

Quite.

The only "planning" was late on - to issue Plagues of Frogs and Boils warnings about Hard Brexit, sector by sector, and very late on in the process. This was aimed purely at ensuring No Deal was too scary to ever contemplate.
    And it also created the situation where the EU could demand anything knowing we'd have to take it. Which then means it couldn't get through parliament.

What a complete bunch of idiots.
    edited November 2018

GIN1138 said:

Remain is better than May's deal.

But make no mistake the Conservatives will rue the day they went against the referendum result.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,797
    I know it has been a hindrance at times.

But, does she have any choice but tin earedness at this point.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    Come on May, give Kevin Foster a job :)

There is nothing in law requiring the PM to be a Member of Parliament - indeed all of them spend election campaigns not as an MP. So why just look to the tired members of the green benches.

Nigel Farrage
    Tony Blair
    Alan Sugar
    Howling Laud Hope

Brian Cox.
    Brian Blessed.
    I wonder what they are in panic about? The bosses have resigned, put up your feet and stick the kettle on. No work to do today, but govt is busy collapsing.
    Where is Gove Khan Hunt?

Belief in a policy, belief it was the right thing to do. Religions aren't the only things that require belief.

I believe lower taxes improve economic growth, that's not a religion its an educated thought.
    Brexit is an educated thought ????

Ha

You should be on the stage. Brexit is a fucking disaster, and it was alwayts going to be a fucking disaster due to leave's stance during the referendum. There's nothing 'educated' about it, however many educated people fell pray to the religion.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Thornberry is loving this.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

But make no mistake the Conservatives will rue the day you went against the referendum result.
    The Tories are stuffed whatever they do. They should have thought twice before heading us towards this whole fiasco in the first place.
  • murali_s said:

GBP plummeting.

Brexit is proving a calamity as I said on day one. Nothing has changed.

Second referendum pointless as we will probably get the same result. The gormless brainless morons who voted Leave first time round will do it again.

We are in a bind!

Will as many 'gormless morons' vote for No Deal' over 'Remain'?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,925

There is nothing in law requiring the PM to be a Member of Parliament - indeed all of them spend election campaigns not as an MP. So why just look to the tired members of the green benches.

Nigel Farrage
    Tony Blair
    Alan Sugar
    Howling Laud Hope

Horrocks goverrrrrnment for me.

No. Her party haven't yet called a vote of no confidence in her so she is doing her job even though she surely knows she cannot pass anything.

Until such time as they ask for her to go she will do the job she was appointed to.
  • GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

But make no mistake the Conservatives will rue the day you went against the referendum result.
    Are you personalising this to me by using 'you'

Brexit is an educated thought ????

Ha

You should be on the stage. Brexit is a fucking disaster, and it was alwayts going to be a fucking disaster due to leave's stance during the referendum. There's nothing 'educated' about it, however many educated people fell pray to the religion.
    No. The disaster was signing up to a project that the British people didn't want to be part of and that is seemingly impossible to get out of.

Nigel Farrage
    Tony Blair
    Alan Sugar
    Howling Laud Hope

Eddie Re(d)mayne
    David Baddiel
    Annie Loof (Swedish centre party leader) and
    Someone from Noddle to work out our credit rating.
  • Thornberry is loving this.

She always looks like that.
    edited November 2018

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Are you personalising this to me by using 'you'
    That should be "they" sorry. I edited.
  • Corbyn picking at the scabs on the Tory benches. His speech is offering up to angry Tories all the things they hate that remain in the deal

Thornberry is loving this.

she should be wary - unless labour are hypocrits they may need to negotiate something significantly different soon as they cannot vote for anything similar.

This discussion has been closed.