Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A massive Westminster day ends with TMay still in place

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,621
    Well it has been a long day and since I was off sick I've spent far too much time, even than usual, obsessing over this. I expect we'll get some more resignations tomorrow, and we may even finally get to the magical 48 letters and the endgame for May can begin.

But this isn't about May, it's about the UK, and it is not looking good. Remain or no deal seem to be the most plausible scenarios unfortunately, yet we have to spend probably weeks waiting for a vote we know will fail.

And well done the Tory party for showing just how far you can push total incompetence.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

The ERG and the plotters have misjudged the mood today. Folks I've spoken to who otherwise take little or no interest in politics have stated their admiration of May and think she should be allowed to get 'the thing done'. They're very fuzzy on the facts of course but the mood seems to be that May is to be supported.

And yet I bet polls won't back that up, given remaining and no deal still command significant support.

In any case it is MPs she needs to persuade, and we are still waiting to find out if a few more Cabinet Members will quit, so in fact the opposite is occurring as people supposedly on board like Gove are wrestling with tossing it out.
    To the question is, is Gove a tosser?
    Is Gove a tosser?

Yes.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Instead we face a real risk of being stuck as supplicants back in the EU without some of our opt outs, probably without our rebate and absolutely no influence in any event as we will be a complete laughing stock.

Believe me, living outside the UK it's quite clear that the UK is already an international laughing stock.
    Can confirm
    I’ve never heard this from anyone but Remainer expats.

Last time I went on holiday, to Dublin, unprompted and without knowledge of my position more people expressed admiration for the Leave vote...
    Interesting given that Ireland has one of the largest approval ratings for membership in the entire EU! You must have been very lucky to meet just Irexiters.
    It wasn’t necessarily people who also wanted to leave, but admiration for the democratic process.

No mention of a laughing stock.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Obviously but what impact has no deal got on getting type approval for UK made cars. Millions of cars made outside the EU get type approval and are sold into EU every year. Why are we so special that we will not get type approval if we follow the correct EU procedures?

None. It's just that the year or so while UK manufacturers submit their existing cars for re-approval in the EU might not be terribly conducive to not going bust in the meantime, and there's nothing the UK government can do to help if there's no deal.
    Do keep up, the EU announced a long time ago that type approval pre brexit would still be valid after brexit. They sell far more cars to us than we do to them so in their interest.
    If you keep this up some headbanger brexiteer will accuse you of project fear.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Instead we face a real risk of being stuck as supplicants back in the EU without some of our opt outs, probably without our rebate and absolutely no influence in any event as we will be a complete laughing stock.

Believe me, living outside the UK it's quite clear that the UK is already an international laughing stock.
    Can confirm
    The Japanese view us as a laughing stock?
    TBF it's mostly more of a "sympathetic that your mentally retarded uncle set fire to your house" vibe
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Frankly, Labour considered a laughing stock on brexit according to QT.

Plaid woman quite good, though she has a double barrelled name and sounds more Surrey than Wales
    Some of them cannot even speak Welsh
    Most of Wales can't speak Welsh
    Not really. It is taught in Schools. All my grand children can speak Welsh, indeed my children have a passable knowedge of it.

Also most local authority jobs require it and my sons partner who has just joined the police service has to go to Welsh classes
    Most of my family live in Wales, many in Llandudno and Rhyl. They all learned at school. All but one consider it a waste of energy. My mother and all my aunts and uncles learned Welsh in the 60s/70s and can’t rememeber hardlya word. Because it isn’t a live language.
    Llandudno and Rhyl are Anglicised. Cross the River Conwy and you are in Welsh speaking Wales
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    rpjs said:

Several people seem to be blaming the government/Phil Hammond/David Cameron for not preparing for No Deal.

I'm curious to know what preparation the UK should have be done for:

- No access to European markets for our fisherman
    - An immediate end to our aerospace components being certified for use in aircraft
    - Type approval by the EU for UK-manufactured cars
    - No legal basis for British ex-pats to continue living in the EU
    - No approval for UK agricultural products to be sold in the EU
    - Delays at French ports
    - An end to access to Galileo
    - The impact of No Deal on the Good Friday Agreement
    - An end to the existing arrangements for licensing of veterinary and human medicines
    - An end to recognition by EU countries of the Certificates of Competency of UK seafarers

I'm sure this is all terribly easy. It must be so because Jacob Rees-Mogg doesn't think any of this is a problem.

According to an audience member on Question Time it will be ok because we had the Atlantic convoys in the war.
    We had a mercantile marine that consisted of more than the Isle of Wight Ferries during the war!
    Not sure the IOW ferries can be counted on:

https://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/16997632.investigation-launched-after-red-funnel-car-ferry-collided-with-yachts-and-ran-aground/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-45322032

Though I can highly recommend the cooked breakfast on the Redfunnel.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Plaid woman quite good, though she has a double barrelled name and sounds more Surrey than Wales
    Not really. It is taught in Schools. All my grand children can speak Welsh, indeed my children have a passable knowedge of it.

Also most local authority jobs require it and my sons partner who has just joined the police service has to go to Welsh classes
    I'm all for local pride but that police thing is mental. What an absolute waste of resources.

It'll be Cornwall next.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Most of my family live in Wales, many in Llandudno and Rhyl. They all learned at school. All but one consider it a waste of energy. My mother and all my aunts and uncles learned Welsh in the 60s/70s and can’t rememeber hardlya word. Because it isn’t a live language.
    Llandudno and Rhyl are Anglicised. Cross the River Conwy and you are in Welsh speaking Wales
    I studied History Big G, I understand.

But Wales was largely anglicised centuries ago. Spending taxpayer money on a minority language is a shame on the Welsh public sector.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

What an absolute nonsense from Barry Gardiner - We'll have a customs union, but not THE customs union, but definitely not Turkey and do our own free trade deals on top !

Unicorns on unicorns.

The whole Labour position is unsustainable. The sad reality is that if the ERG had accepted the deal we’d be ridiculing Labour at the moment...
    Even Dimblebore is finding him ridiculous.
  • Options
    This QT audience is thicker than normal; I hear last week's was better ?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Didn't Gove favour an EEA type Brexit at the time of the referendum? The idea that he is credibly considering quitting in order to push for a renegotiation backed up by a threat of no deal is laughable.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    kle4 said:

Well it has been a long day and since I was off sick I've spent far too much time, even than usual, obsessing over this. I expect we'll get some more resignations tomorrow, and we may even finally get to the magical 48 letters and the endgame for May can begin.

But this isn't about May, it's about the UK, and it is not looking good. Remain or no deal seem to be the most plausible scenarios unfortunately, yet we have to spend probably weeks waiting for a vote we know will fail.

And well done the Tory party for showing just how far you can push total incompetence.

The final final note is that while the ERG are getting a lot of stick, at the end of the day that was expected to some degree. Tory remainers and Labour rebels not being willing to countenance even a crap deal has been more critical for dooming it. Now, that may well show just how bad it is, but let us be honest, some are clearly just hoping remain somehow succeeds even if no deal is risked, and others are falling back on the childish notion that, no matter the national interest, oppositions must oppose. I don't doubt the vast majority of the opposition do think the national interest is served by opposing in this instance, as in most instances, but to rely upon it as an absolute without assessing the merits of the circumstance, and the risk they are willing to take, would be a grave mistake, for the Tory rebels too. He has talked of looking his children in the eyes over this issue, I wonder how Grieve will look at them if he causes no deal.

Good night.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited November 2018
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

But Wales was largely anglicised centuries ago. Spending taxpayer money on a minority language is a shame on the Welsh public sector.
    I do not disagree but it is not going to change. Indeed if anything it is becoming far more required in the public sector and local government. Every announcement including all planning and local government jobs require bilingual notices doubling the space at huge costs
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

I don't think so. Maintaining the language and culture are perfectly sound policies.

Neither should it get in the way of providing good public services.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Thinking about the NHS and Brexit planning.

I just remembered their IT protection failures......

Not exactly showing stellar levels of competence.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The final final note is that while the ERG are getting a lot of stick, at the end of the day that was expected to some degree. Tory remainers and Labour rebels not being willing to countenance even a crap deal has been more critical for dooming it. Now, that may well show just how bad it is, but let us be honest, some are clearly just hoping remain somehow succeeds even if no deal is risked, and others are falling back on the childish notion that, no matter the national interest, oppositions must oppose. I don't doubt the vast majority of the opposition do think the national interest is served by opposing in this instance, as in most instances, but to rely upon it as an absolute without assessing the merits of the circumstance, and the risk they are willing to take, would be a grave mistake, for the Tory rebels too. He has talked of looking his children in the eyes over this issue, I wonder how Grieve will look at them if he causes no deal.

Good night.
    Or you could say that we are having a very healthy debate on a key issue for the country.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,616

Several people seem to be blaming the government/Phil Hammond/David Cameron for not preparing for No Deal.

- An immediate end to our aerospace components being certified for use in aircraft
    - Delays at French ports
    - An end to the existing arrangements for licensing of veterinary and human medicines
    - An end to recognition by EU countries of the Certificates of Competency of UK seafarers

I'm sure this is all terribly easy. It must be so because Jacob Rees-Mogg doesn't think any of this is a problem.

You really need to offer more detail as a lot of the above is meaningless.

So what do you mean by "Type approval by the EU for UK-manufactured cars"
    I mean that any car imported into the EU has to have EU Type Approval (i.e. tests where they crash them into barriers etc) before it can legally be driven on EU roads:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_type_approval
    Obviously but what impact has no deal got on getting type approval for UK made cars. Millions of cars made outside the EU get type approval and are sold into EU every year. Why are we so special that we will not get type approval if we follow the correct EU procedures?
    At the risk of sounding ridiculous, because we haven't filled out the forms.

IIRC, the type approval lapses on departure in the absence of a deal and will need to be reapproved. Which would require the approvals to be redone. Which takes time.

The problem is not the level of bureaucracy per se, it's the fact that in the absence of a deal it all has to be done in the time remaining: 134 days.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,792
    Keep an eye on the comments blow this piece;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/15/elementary-way-brexit-impasse-second-referendum/

Should be a good laugh. :D
  • Options
    Floater said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

DavidL said:

Can confirm
    I’ve never heard this from anyone but Remainer expats.

Last time I went on holiday, to Dublin, unprompted and without knowledge of my position more people expressed admiration for the Leave vote...
    Strange isnt it

Almost like they are just saying what they want to be true
    Imagine that. Heaven forfend Leave should exhibit such a trait.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018

Do keep up, the EU announced a long time ago that type approval pre brexit would still be valid after brexit. They sell far more cars to us than we do to them so in their interest.

United Kingdom type-approval authority will cease to be an EU type-approval authority and will no longer be able to fulfil any of the powers and obligations of a type-approval authority under EU legislation. Manufacturers who obtained approvals in the United Kingdom in the past will thus need to obtain new approvals from EU-27 type approval authorities, including for products already in production, in order to ensure continued compliance with EU legislation and retain access to the Union market.

PDF here:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives/ares-2018-2236797_en

Now, it is true that they've agreed streamlined procedures for getting the new approvals. But manufacturers would still need to get the approvals.

As for the EU selling more cars to us than we do to them: yes, of course it's in their interests to do a deal whereby we continue mutual recognition. But if there's no deal, there's no deal. My point - which you seem to have missed - is that there's no preparation the UK can do for that. You can't unilaterally prepare for something which requires the other side to do something.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

- Delays at French ports

You really need to offer more detail as a lot of the above is meaningless.

So what do you mean by "Type approval by the EU for UK-manufactured cars"
    I mean that any car imported into the EU has to have EU Type Approval (i.e. tests where they crash them into barriers etc) before it can legally be driven on EU roads:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_type_approval
    At the risk of sounding ridiculous, because we haven't filled out the forms.

IIRC, the type approval lapses on departure in the absence of a deal and will need to be reapproved. Which would require the approvals to be redone. Which takes time.

The problem is not the level of bureaucracy per se, it's the fact that in the absence of a deal it all has to be done in the time remaining: 134 days.
    The EU has said that type approval pre brexit will be valid post brexit. They then made another massive concession, which the car industry never expected, that if a car with type approval is modified then just the modifications need to be tested not the whole car seeing as the testing location would move from the UK to a EU 27 country. Nobody expected this.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I think we should pay a lot less attention to the ERG in future. They are clearly not the well-organised highly disciplined party within a party that the media have portrayed.

A lot of ERG members are trying to leave it. But they don't seem to know how to.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,936
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Just 19% of the Welsh population are Welsh speakers according to the 2011 census down from 21%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20677528

Plaid's vote at the 2016 Welsh Assembly election? 20%.

All the Plaid MPs and most of their AMs come from Anglesey, Gwynedd and Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire which are the Welsh speaking heartlands
  • Options

United Kingdom type-approval authority will cease to be an EU type-approval authority and will no longer be able to fulfil any of the powers and obligations of a type-approval authority under EU legislation. Manufacturers who obtained approvals in the United Kingdom in the past will thus need to obtain new approvals from EU-27 type approval authorities, including for products already in production, in order to ensure continued compliance with EU legislation and retain access to the Union market.

PDF here:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives/ares-2018-2236797_en

Now, it is true that they've agreed streamlined procedures for getting the new approvals. But manufacturers would still need to get the approvals.

As for the EU selling more cars to us than we do to them: yes, of course it's in their interests to do a deal whereby we continue mutual recognition. But if there's no deal, there's no deal. My point - which you seem to have missed - is that there's no preparation the UK can do for that. You can't unilaterally prepare for something which requires the other side to do something.
    https://www.governmenteuropa.eu/eu-motor-vehicle-type-approval-brexit/91039/

• Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Good night.
    Or you could say that we are having a very healthy debate on a key issue for the country.
    The time for debate is at an end and Its time for a decision. The Tories are unable to come up with one.
  • Options
    Exactly my point and reason for my incredulity.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1063218582174224384?s=19
  • Options
    alex. said:

Didn't Gove favour an EEA type Brexit at the time of the referendum? The idea that he is credibly considering quitting in order to push for a renegotiation backed up by a threat of no deal is laughable.

He's probably the brightest member of the cabinet but he is both flawed and undermined by his Machiavellian nature - which has led him to overreach at the key moment. I think he should have watched less "Game of Thrones" or taken less notice of the plots from Shakespearean tragedies.

"Thou wouldst be great. Art not without ambition ..."
  • Options

PDF here:

Thanks. That's a more up to date confirmation of my point:

Type approvals for cars, which establish their capacity to meet requirements on safety, environmental and production concerns, must be obtained in the EU from one of the union’s national approval bodies. Once the UK leaves the EU, according to draft legislation approved by the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee, manufacturers will be compelled to source an EU motor vehicle type approval in order to market their vehicles within Europe.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    LD hold in Oxfordshire - LD 1925, Con 1447, Lab 459, Green 185.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

PDF here:

Type approvals for cars, which establish their capacity to meet requirements on safety, environmental and production concerns, must be obtained in the EU from one of the union’s national approval bodies. Once the UK leaves the EU, according to draft legislation approved by the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee, manufacturers will be compelled to source an EU motor vehicle type approval in order to market their vehicles within Europe.
    But that is new models.
    The article also says this. "The draft regulation, which covers all motor vehicles and their associated systems, components and technical units, would allow recognition of tests already carried out by UK type approval authorities."

Edit if BMW got MINI approval in Germany before brexit then nothiong has changed.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

So Welsh speakers pay taxes but can't expect Welsh services in return.

Just suppose Quebec treated English speakers like this. Mortimer would be railing against it and blabbering of Fascism.
  • Options

Had May not royally f###ed up an unscheduled and unnecessary election throwing away both Cameron's majority and an over 20% lead they would be in no place to make any demands. If the DUP demand May's head on a silver platter that is no more than karmic justice for what she did last year.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Just suppose Quebec treated English speakers like this. Mortimer would be railing against it and blabbering of Fascism.
    Services are not constrained by language.

It is not Fascism to recognise that one language is vastly dominant over the other, and that money spent on translation might be better spent on schools and hospitals.

Oh and of course your frankly silly comparison to Quebec doesnt hold. Welsh is not a global language; both French and English are.
  • Options
    I’ve been approached this evening by a lurking reader. It’s a bit unnerving - I can’t imagine how celebrities deal with it.

Correctly, however, my interlocutor had most praise for @AndyJS
  • Options

PDF here:

But that is new models.
    The article also says this. "The draft regulation, which covers all motor vehicles and their associated systems, components and technical units, would allow recognition of tests already carried out by UK type approval authorities."

Recognition of tests, yes. But they still need to reapply for the approval based on those tests.

In any case, as I said this is not something the UK can decide or prepare for. As regards imports, we can say we'll recognise EU type approvals in the absence of any deal. We can't insist on the converse.
  • Options

PDF here:

That link doesn't support your position. It *allows* EU27 to recognise UK certification but doesn't *insist* that they do.

"...Internal Market Committee rapporteur Marlene Mizzi said: “Given the current political scenario concerning the withdrawal of the UK from the EU, manufacturers and consumers need certainty where type approvals for vehicles are concerned, to avoid unnecessarily disrupting this important industry. Manufacturers shall now be provided with the required period and legal framework to continue trading within the EU.”

Having received a mandate from the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee, the updated EU motor vehicle type approval regulation will be passed to the European Council for negotiation, pending approval in the European Parliament’s plenary sessions. Negotiations must conclude before the UK’s set withdrawal date of March 30, 2019..."

So you have to get the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee to provide a mandate, then negotiate with the European Council, then get it approved by Europarl by March 30th 2019.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    slade said:

The Conservatives put a lot into that. Very good result for the Lib Dems.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Are there genuinely any 'Welsh speakers' who are not also fluent in English? I would find it very hard to believe.
  • Options

I’ve been approached this evening by a lurking reader. It’s a bit unnerving - I can’t imagine how celebrities deal with it.

#pbcelebrity
  • Options

I had this experience a few months ago. It was someone I had met years ago but didn't know very well. It was indeed a bit unnerving to find he knew all about my political position and betting from reading PB.
  • Options

PDF here:

But that is new models.

Recognition of tests, yes. But they still need to reapply for the approval based on those tests.

In any case, as I said this is not something the UK can decide or prepare for. As regards imports, we can say we'll recognise EU type approvals in the absence of any deal. We can't insist on the converse.
    No they do not have to reapply at all.
  • Options
    slade said:

LD hold in Oxfordshire - LD 1925, Con 1447, Lab 459, Green 185.</bl
    The Lib Dem victor is a barrister and law lecturer who lost her partner to sudden death in epilepsy when he was 29. She received an OBE for her work in drawing attention to this condition.

• Options

Had May not royally f###ed up an unscheduled and unnecessary election throwing away both Cameron's majority and an over 20% lead they would be in no place to make any demands. If the DUP demand May's head on a silver platter that is no more than karmic justice for what she did last year.
    Most Tory MPs will tell the DUP to sod off rather than having their leader dictated to them even if it requires a general election
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

It is not Fascism to recognise that one language is vastly dominant over the other, and that money spent on translation might be better spent on schools and hospitals.

So Quebec is overwhelming French-speaking. Less than 20 per cent of the population speak English.

Your advice to the English speakers of Quebec is that French is overwhelming dominant and they should not expect services in English, correct?

All the English translation that the Canadian government does to ensure that the English speakers of Quebec can access services in their own language is a waste of money, correct? It could be better spent on hospitals in Quebec.

Funnily enough, when English speakers are the minority, they wail the fecking house down that they have a right to expect services in English.
  • Options

PDF here:

But that is new models.

Pleased to hear it. Perhaps you could let the author of the article you linked to know, since he or she doesn't seem to agree with you: "Car manufacturers whose vehicles have been type approved in the UK will be able to apply for new EU motor vehicle type approval after Brexit."
  • Options
    viewcode said:

PDF here:

That link doesn't support your position. It *allows* EU27 to recognise UK certification but doesn't *insist* that they do.

"...Internal Market Committee rapporteur Marlene Mizzi said: “Given the current political scenario concerning the withdrawal of the UK from the EU, manufacturers and consumers need certainty where type approvals for vehicles are concerned, to avoid unnecessarily disrupting this important industry. Manufacturers shall now be provided with the required period and legal framework to continue trading within the EU.”

Having received a mandate from the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee, the updated EU motor vehicle type approval regulation will be passed to the European Council for negotiation, pending approval in the European Parliament’s plenary sessions. Negotiations must conclude before the UK’s set withdrawal date of March 30, 2019..."

So you have to get the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee to provide a mandate, then negotiate with the European Council, then get it approved by Europarl by March 30th 2019.
    What do you not understand that the EU is moving this through the EU legal mechanism. Nothing to do with the UK Govt.
  • Options
    slade said:

slade said:

For F1 fans the Williams team is based in this ward.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

So Quebec is overwhelming French-speaking. Less than 20 per cent of the population speak English.

Your advice to the English speakers of Quebec is that French is overwhelming dominant and they should not expect services in English, correct?

All the English translation that the Canadian government does to ensure that the English speakers of Quebec can access services in their own language is a waste of money, correct? It could be better spent on hospitals in Quebec.

Funnily enough, when English speakers are the minority, they wail the fecking house down that they have a right to expect services in English.
    No, it’s a facile comparison. Because both French and English have wider application.
  • Options

PDF here:

But that is new models.

If you believe that, then perhaps you can link to the decision of the European Council and the approval of the European Parliament that your link says has to be negotiated and passed.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    What I'm wondering is why TMay did the 5:30 TV show. Every one was expecting a big announcement, resignation, even a"I will fight on" and nothing. That was probably the most useless conference meeting I've ever seen.
  • Options

PDF here:

But that is new models.

Pleased to hear it. Perhaps you could let the author of the article you linked to know, since he or she doesn't seem to agree with you: "Car manufacturers whose vehicles have been type approved in the UK will be able to apply for new EU motor vehicle type approval after Brexit."
    Do you understand the word already?
    "The draft regulation, which covers all motor vehicles and their associated systems, components and technical units, would allow recognition of tests already carried out by UK type approval authorities."

See the already. It means something.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Portillo says May's Deal worse than remaining in the EU on This Week, says the Cabinet must remove her
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Most Tory MPs will tell the DUP to sod off rather than having their leader dictated to them even if it requires a general election
    'Most Tory MPs' won't command the majority of the House of Commons.
    'All Tory MPs' won't either.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

No, it’s a facile comparison. Because both French and English have wider application.
    No it is an exact analogy. There are 20 per cent English speakers in Quebec. There are 20 per cent Welsh speakers in Wales.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    One thing I noted about signs - in wales the roads are doubled up Slow/araf, but in France it it not "arretez" used on stop signs, but STOP !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One thing I noted about signs - in wales the roads are doubled up STOP/ARAF, but in France it it not "arretez" used on stop signs, but STOP !

It is Araf/Stop.

Araf comes first.
  • Options

What do you not understand that the EU is moving this through the EU legal mechanism. Nothing to do with the UK Govt.

I believe you. But those processes haven't finished yet and if they aren't finished by Brexit day we have a problem. You're referring to it as a done deal, but it hasn't been signed off yet. And given that one of the steps is Europarl approval, it's not guaranteed that it will.
  • Options

Do you understand the word already?
    "The draft regulation, which covers all motor vehicles and their associated systems, components and technical units, would allow recognition of tests already carried out by UK type approval authorities."

See the already. It means something.

I'm off to bed, but really! Read you own link. The manufacturer applies for APPROVAL. To get that it needs to submit the results of TESTS. Get the distinction?

In any case, none of this affects my point.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Maybe someone who found the referendum spreadsheet helpful.
  • Options
    The DUP don’t get to choose the leader of the Conservatives. They might get a say in the identity of the next Prime Minister. Those people might not be the same.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Most of /blockquote>

I ask again, is there a single person in Wales who can only speak, read and write Welsh?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,958
    AndyJS said:

Were they wearing any expensive bling??
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

No it is an exact analogy. There are 20 per cent English speakers in Quebec. There are 20 per cent Welsh speakers in Wales.
    Maybe we should discuss this when there are 220m Welsh speakers worldwide?

• Options
    edited November 2018

I ask again, is there a single person in Wales who can only speak, read and write Welsh?

Yes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Portillo says May's Deal worse than remaining in the EU on This Week, says the Cabinet must remove her

Wonderful how these armchair Generals always have easy answers. And yet enacting them ....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

One thing I noted about signs - in wales the roads are doubled up STOP/ARAF, but in France it it not "arretez" used on stop signs, but STOP !

It is Araf/Stop.

Araf comes first.
    The fetishisation of Welsh first is equally troubling.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    In the Valleys Welsh is largely pointless. I think that is true for much of South Wales, there are areas where it is quite heavily spoken but outside of that large parts of Wales exist almost exclusively on English.

I agree that Welsh somewhat limits Plaid's appeal as well, pre Corbyn when I was looking for someone to vote for (Greens not available) the Welsh language side of Plaid put me off slightly, admittedly the nationalist aspect would put me off anyway, would take a lot for me to vote for a nationalist party but the language aspect would probably help put off other people who are a bit less wary of nationalism.

The areas where it is still going strong support it and help it by all means but in areas like mine it feels rather forced and a waste which probably isn't actually reversing the situation.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Someone who was correctly awestruck by the spreadsheet.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I believe you. But those processes haven't finished yet and if they aren't finished by Brexit day we have a problem. You're referring to it as a done deal, but it hasn't been signed off yet. And given that one of the steps is Europarl approval, it's not guaranteed that it will.
    I agree, but one must have a little bit of faith that if the EU bigwigs have decided to do something then they can get it through in time.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

It was a work of art. Hope to buy @AndyJS a drink or ten at some future PB Gathering to say thanks properly.
  • Options

Yes.
    Does the total number of people fit inside a minibus?
  • Options

Yes.
    Does the total number of people fit inside a minibus?
    No
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Just suppose Quebec treated Englis

The fact that there are fewer Welsh speakers is all the more reason to preserve and promote the language. The French language is not under threat.

I am a little surprised that you are so utilitarian about language when it is such a core part of Welsh history and national consciousness. Are you as keen for the English to be homogenized ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It is Araf/Stop.

Araf comes first.
    I thought it was Slow Araf...

I could swear it is as I have the same stupid thought in my head about a person named Araf who isn't particularly bright. Also one of the few Welsh words I would have claimed to know.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It is Araf/Stop.

Araf comes first.

I could swear it is as I have the same stupid thought in my head about a person named Araf who isn't particularly bright. Also one of the few Welsh words I would have claimed to know.
    What about Twp ? The English of the Valleys incorporates many Welsh loan words.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    This Week considers Brexit:.. there is no way yada yada.

Perfect.

The Peoples' LEAVE is coming..
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Just suppose Quebec treated Englis

The fact that there are fewer Welsh speakers is all the more reason to preserve and promote the language. The French language is not under threat.

I am a little surprised that you are so utilitarian about language when it is such a core part of Welsh history and national consciousness. Are you as keen for the English to be homogenized ?
    I don't believe in using government subsidy to prop up Welsh to a status beyond it's natural position. Its not an issue of cultural homogenisation, but fiscal rectitude.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Mortimer said:

I don't believe in using government subsidy to prop up Welsh to a status beyond it's natural position. Its not an issue of cultural homogenisation, but fiscal rectitude.

Hilarious .. "it's natural position" .. you seem to have enough difficulty with English.

And then "Its not " fails to have an apostrophe!!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,792
    edited November 2018
    shiney2 said:

Perfect.

Portillo seemed to think it will play out as I suggested which is that the Cabinet, realizing that the deal is dead and the DUP are going to pull the plug, will then step in and tell May to resign as she's lost their confidence.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Pulpstar said:

It is Araf/Stop.

Araf comes first.

What about Twp ? The English of the Valleys incorporates many Welsh loan words.
    TBH It did ring a bell after I looked it up and saw the translation I think some of my friends might have a similar reaction (some none at all even after translation) but I'd say that word is probably dying out rapidly as slang among younger groups, struggling to remember where I have heard it but I think they were a fair bit older than me and it was a while ago.

Edit: cwtch, that is a word lots of English speaking people here know. One good example
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

Would only be an exact analogy if it were 20% of Quebec spoke French.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Actually he said it was a false choice, but don't let a verifiable fact stop you..
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2018
    Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

It was a work of art. Hope to buy @AndyJS a drink or ten at some future PB Gathering to say thanks properly.
    All I did really was put a whole lot of census data together on the same page. But thanks for the appreciation.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    dixiedean said:

The minority language in both places is spoken by 20 per cent of the people.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,198
    edited November 2018

Pulpstar said:

It is Araf/Stop.

Araf comes first.
    Not always:

• Options

Pulpstar said:

It is Araf/Stop.

Araf comes first.
    Not always:

Interesting. Where I live Araf comes first.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It is Araf/Stop.

Araf comes first.
    Not always:

Probably because it's a Welsh-speaking area.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Hilarious .. "it's natural position" .. you seem to have enough difficulty with English.

As I’ve proved, English is a sufficiently difficult language to learn as it is.

Incidentally, I don’t see Gaelic translations across Scotland. I wonder why Welsh is so fetishised across the nation?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

shiney2 said:

Perfect.

Portillo seemed to think it will play out as I suggested which is that the Cabinet, realizing that the deal is dead and the DUP are going to pull the plug, will then step in and tell May to resign as she's lost their confidence.
    And afterwards?

• Options
    shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

Actually he said it was a false choice, but don't let a verifiable fact stop you..
    It is not a false choice as that is the only Deal the EU will offer and No Deal is worse than both
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

All I did really was put a whole lot of census data together on the same page. But thanks for the appreciation.
    Spreadsheets can be so powerful.

On one consulting project I did a spreadsheet favour for one business function in some slow time; I honestly wonder if it had more of a positive effect on the business than the project I was actually working on.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It is Araf/Stop.

Araf comes first.
    Not always:

Probably because it's a Welsh-speaking area.
    Ahh yes I was sure of it, I see Slow Araf everywhere. It is slow first here as well.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

'Most Tory MPs' won't command the majority of the House of Commons.
    'All Tory MPs' won't either.
    Well if the DUP dictate who the Tory leader is they control not just the House of Commons but the Tory Party too and that is unacceptable for a party with just over a third of votes even in NI
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

dixiedean said:

The minority language in both places is spoken by 20 per cent of the people.
    Indeed. And my comment was not intended to be anti Welsh.
    But French is the majority language in Quebec.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

As I’ve proved, English is a sufficiently difficult language to learn as it is.

Incidentally, I don’t see Gaelic translations across Scotland. I wonder why Welsh is so fetishised across the nation?
    You're out of touch, my baby
    My poor discarded baby
    I said, baby, baby, baby, you're out of time

There are Gaelic translations across Scotland.

Obviously, you have not visited in ages.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

GIN1138 said:

shiney2 said:

Perfect.

And afterwards?

The ERG pulled back today as they know they do not have the votes to topple May and the DUP can huff and puff but they cannot topple her either. The Cabinet has already collectively backed the PM
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    ]
    Pulpstar said:

I find it highly amusing that Quebec mandates "Arrêt" on its stop signs but France doesn't.
  • Options
    Yes! The Draft agreement can be changed! Not necessarily to our advantage:

BRUSSELS/PARIS (Reuters) - France on Thursday led calls among European Union states for changes to the draft agreement on Britain’s exit from the bloc, adding to uncertainty over the fate of the deal as British Prime Minister Theresa faced an uproar at home.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-27/french-led-eu-states-call-for-changes-to-britains-draft-exit-deal-idUKKCN1NK21E?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=twitter
This discussion has been closed.