Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Trump’s legal troubles mount punters now make it a 34% chan

Comments

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HYUFD said:

You are arrogant BIg_G and your contempt is breathtaking. If you want to support May, go ahead but her deal flagrantly breaches the Tory manifesto. I won’t support that even if you will.

I am sure UKIP or Farage's new party will welcome your support, most voters want a Deal as even the Leave campaign promised
    Shame the pm went out of her way to fuck it all up then.

Is she a genius remainer or just utterly incompetent? - history will have to decide on that one.

• We're never going to get over this, are we? On the bright side, the Tories are actual toast.

If we end up Remaining the whole country is toast.
    Remaining, then with Jeremy Corbyn as PM, will test those worst case scenarios of No Deal Brexit.

Just watch the inward investment dry up, the capital flee, the unemployment soar, the house prices crash and burn.
    I suspect in a Remain and Corbyn scenario the sector worst hit will be the City.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, that solves the requirement for unanimity for extending the deadline.

Revocation of A50 on Tuesday... submission of A50 on Wednesday...
    The EU doesn't need to negotiate another WA on the second invocation
    So it would just be 2 years of no deal preparation?
  • TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

I wonder how historians will see this period in our history. A re-launch of far right wing anti-immigrant nationalism or its last gasp during it's death throws? I hope it is not blind optimism on my part but it seems to me that the gammons are in red-faced retreat

Remaining will stoke up anti establishment movements of all flavours.

Do Remain Ultras accept that will be their fault alone if they go against the result of the referendum and the subsequent GE?
    Antiquarian Action!

I can see the banner now.
    He does however have a point, remainiung will lead to a realighment within british politics

So be it.

Let No Dealers join the Tommy Robinson party.

They’ll be happier there.

A brilliant Tory leader won the Tories their only majority in the last quarter of a century when UKIP polled near 15%.
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, that solves the requirement for unanimity for extending the deadline.

Revocation of A50 on Tuesday... submission of A50 on Wednesday...
    Parliament wouldn’t authorise resubmission
    Insert as the first word of the sentence:

This
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Quick thought:

If May does go for a Deal/No Deal referendum without Remain, Corbyn will call a VONC, and Soubry, Grieve and Greening etc. will either back him or abstain.

May will be finished within a week.

May will be out by Friday.

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Staying must now be a near racing certainty

Well done to Nicola Sturgeon
    It certainly kills off May’s deal which is inferior to both no deal and no Brexit. No deal has to be the only legitimate choice now.
    You cannot see beyond no deal.

If Brexiteers had any sense they should accept TM deal or it is all over for a generation
    You are blind to the wishes of 17.4 m voters and bent out of shape like a true europhile because you lost first time around.
    Some of those 17.4million want to accept the deal so we leave at all. Right now that is looking very shaky.

Parliament might accept other brexits than Mays deal, but probably only softer ones. So it's either bad brexit or no brexit - since it is now legally simple to revoke A50. I doubt we will for some months, we need to be right up to the wire for enough Mps to break ranks and bring down the government, but it is looking good for remainers right now.

Everyone will need to remember we could have left. We had a deal, however imperfect, that meant we were legally out. Well done to the Brexiteers who truly do believe no brexit is better than a bad brexit. But that also means no complaints from them please, since it was by their choice we now may remain.
    No deal is better than a bad deal.

The only way to test your thesis is to hold a second referendum no deal vs deal. Remain should be left out of the choices as they have already lost once. If Parliament wants a different deal they should first dissolve, hold a general election and win an electoral mandate for it. May’s deal bears no resemblance to any party’s manifesto commitments on Brexit.
    Isn't there another dimension to the question of the referendum wording?

To hold a referendum now I presume we need an extension of the deadline. Unlike revocation, that will still require unanimous agreement of the other member countries. Isn't it likely that before agreeing, they (or at least one of them) will want to ensure that the referendum will not result in "No Deal"?
    That would be interfering in our politics and as we know the EU would never do that.
  • HYUFD said:

You are arrogant BIg_G and your contempt is breathtaking. If you want to support May, go ahead but her deal flagrantly breaches the Tory manifesto. I won’t support that even if you will.

I am sure UKIP or Farage's new party will welcome your support, most voters want a Deal as even the Leave campaign promised
    chortle

ah yes the fk off and join UKIP strategy which worked so well when people did.
    2015: UKIP polled 12.9% = Tory majority

2017: UKIP polled 1.8% = Tories lose their majority
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,968
    edited December 2018

kle4 said:

I don't want us to remain. I just think enough people want to remain, and enough leavers were happy to risk remaining, that it will happen despite the problems remaining will cause.

I want us to leave. It's the Rees Moggs of this world with allies among remainer mps who will prevent that.

You have to conclude in the end that senior Leavers don't want Brexit enough. Their unwillingness to get stuck into the detail, their unwillingness to fight at critical moments and their unwillingness to compromise has made it far more likely than I ever could have imagined that Brexit won't happen.
    It is curious.

Its been clear all year what May was aiming for yet they never challenged her.

Did they think they could bounce her into doing what they wanted ?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,883
    TGOHF said:

What I haven't heard from the ultra-Remainers on here and in the wet end of the Con party e.g. Ms Rudd is any sort of plan for how they hope to govern after they overturn the result of the democratic referendum.

The number of malcontents sufficiently agitated by #brexitbetrayed to insurrect over it and those sufficiently sound of limb to be capable of it isn't significant.
    TGOHF said:

What I haven't heard from the ultra-Remainers on here and in the wet end of the Con party e.g. Ms Rudd is any sort of plan for how they hope to govern after they overturn the result of the democratic referendum.

A pat on the head and being told to run along whilst your betters run the country for you seems to be about it.

Don't worry those thick xenophobes will soon forget.

Of course the tory party will take a mauling in the next election but hey they can rebuild in - what was it 15 years last time?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

I wonder how historians will see this period in our history. A re-launch of far right wing anti-immigrant nationalism or its last gasp during it's death throws? I hope it is not blind optimism on my part but it seems to me that the gammons are in red-faced retreat

Do Remain Ultras accept that will be their fault alone if they go against the result of the referendum and the subsequent GE?
    Antiquarian Action!

:)
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    edited December 2018

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Antiquarian Action!

He does however have a point, remainiung will lead to a realighment within british politics

So be it.

A brilliant Tory leader won the Tories their only majority in the last quarter of a century when UKIP polled near 15%.
    Dont be silly it wont be the TR party. It will be a newer wider spread party which will play on pitting the pissed off provinces against the metropolitans.

Youre simply going back to that they have nowhere else to go rubbish which caused the problem in the first place. A tory party which cant get voters on board is heading to obscurity.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Antiquarian Action!

So be it.

Most of us pissed off Tories will have nothing to do with UKIP or Farage's new train set.

Most of us will quietly join the FUP.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited December 2018

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Antiquarian Action!

It might; bearing in mind "Musn't Grumble" was a contender for national motto a few years ago.

If we remain, it would have to be undertaken within a political structure. Referendum as promised in a manifesto, for example. Or some other means (I am far from a constitutional expert).

In that context the heat would be taken out of the decision although there's no doubt millions of people would be livid. But just like the 2016 referendum, there is very little coherent argument or umbrage to be taken against a democratic mandate delivered by direct democracy.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    The government's position on the Wightman case was that the court should not answer the question because it was purely hypothetical. It was hypothetical because the government had no intention of seeking to reverse Art 50.

For the present government that, I think, remains the position. I cannot see May or pretty much anyone currently in Cabinet seeking to revoke Article 50 before the deadline although they may seek to extend the time limit. The question that really arises this morning is whether there is a way that the remainer majority in Parliament can force them to.

At the moment May's position is back her deal or accept a no deal exit which remains the default position under current legislation. Her binary choice is certainly weakened by this judgment but revoking article 50 would require legislation and it is still not clear to me where this legislation could possibly come from.
  • TOPPING said:

You have to conclude in the end that senior Leavers don't want Brexit enough. Their unwillingness to get stuck into the detail, their unwillingness to fight at critical moments and their unwillingness to compromise has made it far more likely than I ever could have imagined that Brexit won't happen.

Absolutely agree. Listening to Gove, who tbf is supporting The Deal, nevertheless unequivocally denounce this or that element (CJEU, etc) as "not Brexit not what the people voted for", is vomit-inducing.

They were so full of what it should be they didn't bother paying attention to what it could be.
    Rather illogical there. Given that the Deal does remove us from basically all the elements Gove was denouncing (with the exception of the Customs Union) surely what 'it should be' and 'what it could be' have indeed turned out to be the same. As shown by the fact Gove is supporting the deal.
  • kle4 said:

I don't want us to remain. I just think enough people want to remain, and enough leavers were happy to risk remaining, that it will happen despite the problems remaining will cause.

I want us to leave. It's the Rees Moggs of this world with allies among remainer mps who will prevent that.

It is curious.

Their strategy has been bizarre. Their big opportunity was December 2017. Up to that point I had been expecting no deal because Leavers had never compromised. They all went meekly then and I concluded that they would eventually accept the ultimate deal. But it turned out that they hadn't realised that they had compromised and have reverted to type since.

They seem to have completely misunderstood the dynamics of Parliament. Do they really think that their fellow MPs are going to sit back for the next three months after a defeat of the deal and do nothing?
  • HYUFD said:

Ah, the ethnic cleansing of the Tory Party has begun has it. Let’s see how you react when you and your fellow Tory Remainers let Corbyn in
    If a large number of the hard Brexiteers vote UKIP etc in protest at the next election (which I can believe); ironically the more moderate the Tory next leader, the higher the probability of them probably winning a GE by (re)capturing the centre ground (versus the extremes of Corbyn and hard right). Not sure that will happen though....!
  • TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Antiquarian Action!

So be it.

If we Remain I will certainly be out campaigning for Corbyn. Under those circumstances the Tory party deserves to be crushed. I am not predicting it will be, just saying I will do my bit to try and make sure it is.
  • It does seem like we are at one of those realignment moments which really could see the eclipse of one of more of the established political parties.

I think the worst course of action politically for all the established parties but for the Conservatives in particular would be to call another referendum.

It is such a resonant, short hand, indisputable message to the electorate that your opinions really don't count and 'our master's' only real mistake was to ask that opinion in the first place.

The form that England's populist movement is going to take is not yet clear but those who want it to come about must be desperate for the establishment to refuse Brexit in exactly the way they seem to be doing.

TOPPING said:

Absolutely agree. Listening to Gove, who tbf is supporting The Deal, nevertheless unequivocally denounce this or that element (CJEU, etc) as "not Brexit not what the people voted for", is vomit-inducing.

They were so full of what it should be they didn't bother paying attention to what it could be.
    Rather illogical there. Given that the Deal does remove us from basically all the elements Gove was denouncing (with the exception of the Customs Union) surely what 'it should be' and 'what it could be' have indeed turned out to be the same. As shown by the fact Gove is supporting the deal.
    Well yes as I said credit to him as he is supporting the deal but he couldn't help himself opine on what Brexit "is". Whereas the one thing we have all learned these past two years and can all agree on is that Brexit "is" nothing definable.
  • XenonXenon Posts: 471
    Does Article 50 take two years to leave or is that the maximum time it can take?

Might it be possible to prepare for no deal before even triggering it and then leave immediately on revocation?
    edited December 2018

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Antiquarian Action!

Prediction: the most embittered generation this country will ever have seen will be those who put their hopes in the EU and Jeremy Corbyn....
    I really don't like remain on current terms. We are half in half out, in the second tier, a non Euro difficult and awkward squad nation. A position that is designed to encourage friction and divergent requirements.

The EU needs commitment and common purpose in the membership. That means to forge really good and beneficial relationships in means in, to paraphrase Mrs May, so you have to go for Euro and Schengen. The halfway house will only propagate the discontent of the past few years.

Either completely on or completely out are the only two sensible and positions that are workable in the long term, and for this it is a long term choice.

HYUFD said:

Ah, the ethnic cleansing of the Tory Party has begun has it. Let’s see how you react when you and your fellow Tory Remainers let Corbyn in
    If a large number of the hard Brexiteers vote UKIP etc in protest at the next election (which I can believe); ironically the more moderate the Tory next leader, the higher the probability of them probably winning a GE by (re)capturing the centre ground (versus the extremes of Corbyn and hard right). Not sure that will happen though....!
    Really? As an example, Plan B Norway + advocate Amber Rudd is not going to be gracing the green benches after the next election.
  • kle4 said:

It is curious.

Their strategy has been bizarre. Their big opportunity was December 2017. Up to that point I had been expecting no deal because Leavers had never compromised. They all went meekly then and I concluded that they would eventually accept the ultimate deal. But it turned out that they hadn't realised that they had compromised and have reverted to type since.

They seem to have completely misunderstood the dynamics of Parliament. Do they really think that their fellow MPs are going to sit back for the next three months after a defeat of the deal and do nothing?
    Its mystifying to me.

How can outsiders like us predict politics when politicians so often act illogically and / or incompetently.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

The number of malcontents sufficiently agitated by #brexitbetrayed to insurrect over it and those sufficiently sound of limb to be capable of it isn't significant.
    I simply don't think that's the case. The apparent metamorphosis of UKIP into something uglier and nastier than we've seen before looks to me like the start of something we haven't seen before in British politics, certainly not in my memory.

Look at how the Gilets Jaunes came out of absolutely nowhere. A couple of months ago, did anyone think France would be on fire? People keep on saying that we don't do riots, etc, in the UK. What they fail to understand is that's because we have an incredibly strong - unparalleled in fact - tradition of democracy.

The referendum was our safety valve. Giving people a voice who had been ignored for decades. Our revolutions have always been achieved through the ballot box rather than direct action. But shut off that safety valve and anything could happen. I'm not saying it will, but I am saying we will be in completely uncharted territory and nobody can be sure what will happen. I'm incredibly fearful of what's to come if we walk away from the political norms that safeguard our civil society.

HYUFD said:

chortle

ah yes the fk off and join UKIP strategy which worked so well when people did.
    2015: UKIP polled 12.9% = Tory majority

2017: UKIP polled 1.8% = Tories lose their majority
    as 2017 showed past performance is no guide to the future
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Xenon said:

Does Article 50 take two years to leave or is that the maximum time it can take?

Might it be possible to prepare for no deal before even triggering it and then leave immediately on revocation?

Technically, maybe. Politically, no.

Day 1 No deal Preparations. Concrete over Kent.

Day 2. Riots.
    I like the diversity of the crowd. There are blokes, geezers, lads and gents there.
  • Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

t certainly kills off May’s deal which is inferior to both no deal and no Brexit. No deal has to be the only legitimate choice now.

You cannot see beyond no deal. If Brexiteers had any sense they should accept TM deal or it is all over for a generation
    You are blind to the wishes of 17.4 m voters and bent out of shape like a true europhile because you lost first time around.
    Some of those 17.4million want to accept the deal so we leave at all. Right now that is looking very shaky. Parliament might accept other brexits than Mays deal, but probably only softer ones. So it's either bad brexit or no brexit - since it is now legally simple to revoke A50. I doubt we will for some months, we need to be right up to the wire for enough Mps to break ranks and bring down the government, but it is looking good for remainers right now. Everyone will need to remember we could have left. We had a deal, however imperfect, that meant we were legally out. Well done to the Brexiteers who truly do believe no brexit is better than a bad brexit. But that also means no complaints from them please, since it was by their choice we now may remain.
    No deal is better than a bad deal.The only way to test your thesis is to hold a second referendum no deal vs deal. Remain should be left te for it. May’s deal bears no resemblance to any party’s manifesto commitments on Brexit.
    Yes well we ption we must deal with that.And it will win because no dealers make it win. And since they believe a bad deal is worse they should not even be upset at remaining. After all the no dealers are lining up with their allies the remainers tomorrow.
    Indeed we do, but we won’t be living in a parliamentary democracy for long if MPs think it’s acceptable to brazenly lie to the electorate in their manifestos. I suspect the electorate as a whole will want a much higher degree of probity and honesty from their elected representatives than you seem to need.

If parliament votes to overturn the referendum result, JRM will vote against.
    edited December 2018
    Xenon said:

I'd assume that you have to give a further two years notice. You'd be starting the process afresh.

But as were weren't leaving the interim phase until 2022 anyway, we could issue again in 2020 and be in no different a place on timing to May's Deal. Just, with some planning next time.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

It does seem like we are at one of those realignment moments which really could see the eclipse of one of more of the established political parties.

I think the worst course of action politically for all the established parties but for the Conservatives in particular would be to call another referendum.

It is such a resonant, short hand, indisputable message to the electorate that your opinions really don't count and 'our master's' only real mistake was to ask that opinion in the first place.

The form that England's populist movement is going to take is not yet clear but those who want it to come about must be desperate for the establishment to refuse Brexit in exactly the way they seem to be doing.

Fortunately, our populists are historically beyond inept.

Leave was largely won through the offices of such as Dominic ‘Wormtongue’ Cummings, and anyone who parades under the banner of “Odyssean Project” is hardly a populist.
    No, one Leaver is an absolute c***.

The rest of us Leavers have already pointed out that his gallows design would never have taken the required weight.
  • kle4 said:

It is curious.

Its mystifying to me.

How can outsiders like us predict politics when politicians so often act illogically and / or incompetently.
    Brexit is like a threesome.

A great fantasy but when you actually do it all you want to do is stop midway through and go to sleep.
    dont be ridiculous

its just being european. The french erected a guillotine for Macron at the weekend.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You cannot see beyond no deal. If Brexiteers had any sense they should accept TM deal or it is all over for a generation

Some of those 17.4million want to accept the deal so we leave at all. Right now that is looking very shaky. Parliament might accept other brexits than Mays deal, but probably only softer ones. So it's either bad brexit or no brexit - since it is now legally simple to revoke A50. I doubt we will for some months, we need to be right up to the wire for enough Mps to break ranks and bring down the government, but it is looking good for remainers right now. Everyone will need to remember we could have left. We had a deal, however imperfect, that meant we were legally out. Well done to the Brexiteers who truly do believe no brexit is better than a bad brexit. But that also means no complaints from them please, since it was by their choice we now may remain.
    No deal is better than a bad deal.The only way to test your thesis is to hold a second referendum no deal vs deal. Remain should be left te for it. May’s deal bears no resemblance to any party’s manifesto commitments on Brexit.
    Yes well we ption we must deal with that.And it will win because no dealers make it win. And since they believe a bad deal is worse they should not even be upset at remaining. After all the no dealers are lining up with their allies the remainers tomorrow.
    Indeed we do, but we won’t be living in a parliamentary democracy for long if MPs think it’s acceptable to brazenly lie to the electorate in their manifestos. I suspect the electorate as a whole will want a much higher degree of probity and honesty from their elected representatives than you seem to need.

I think they want it enough, some of them anyway. But some lacked the ability and others were pulling in different directions.

kle4 said:

It is curious.

Its mystifying to me.

A great fantasy but when you actually do it all you want to do is stop midway through and go to sleep.
    You should try it with two women not two blokes next time.
  • dont be ridiculous

its just being european. The french erected a guillotine for Macron at the weekend.
    The guy who made it said almost verbatim "May is a traitor, this is what traitors get"
  • dont be ridiculous

So Leavers are like the French.

You may have just come with the best and unimpeachable argument to end Brexit.
    TGOHF said:

A pat on the head and being told to run along whilst your betters run the country for you seems to be about it.

Yes, they seriously underestimate how difficult it could prove because they only care about keeping us in at all costs. But that seems to be the next challenge to he faced, since leave is too divided to confirm something.
  • Come on, chaps, it's a testy moment but there's no need to get nasty here (indeed, it won't change anything either way).

Someone the other day suggested cancelling the vote would itself require a vote, which wouldn't pass. Is it just in May's gift?

The endless can-kicking is ridiculous.
    Scott_P said:
    Professor smartarse is not helping this debate.
    edited December 2018
    Looks like Micky Fab will be putting in that letter to the '22 after all then....
  • HYUFD said:

Can’t see many Tory Leavers voting for an Islamaphobic party. I think it more likely the DNV’s will show a marked upturn.
  • TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

It is curious.

Its mystifying to me.

As a good Muslim boy I’ve never tried a spit roast.

dont be ridiculous

There are currently some significant parallels between the UK and France atm. we are simply catching them up on political expression
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    alex. said:

On revoking article 50 key question is whether

1)Parliament can order PM to revoke
    or
    2) PM can only revoke with approval of parliament

Quite an important difference there I think.

I think it will need primary legislation
    Scott_P said:
    It aided both sides in that case to argue the
    Irrevocability. Even then there was a para noting it might not be the case.

kle4 said:

It is curious.

Its mystifying to me.

If that's your experience of a threesome - then you weren't doing it right.....
  • Charles said:

alex. said:

On revoking article 50 key question is whether

1)Parliament can order PM to revoke
    or
    2) PM can only revoke with approval of parliament

Quite an important difference there I think.

I think it will need primary legislation
    Whether it needs it or not, I can't see a revocation of Article 50 taking place without one.
  • XenonXenon Posts: 471
    edited December 2018

Xenon said:

I'd assume that you have to give a further two years notice. You'd be starting the process afresh.

But as were weren't leaving the interim phase until 2022 anyway, we could issue again in 2020 and be in no different a place on timing to May's Deal. Just, with some planning next time.
    Well the best solution out of this mess seems to be to cancel Article 50 and then trigger it again making it clear we are preparing for a minimal deal with the EU only.

At least now we know that the current deal with the EU is not good enough for us and we can go from there.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Staying must now be a near racing certainty Well done to Nicola Sturgeon
    It certainly kills off May’s deal which is inferior to both no deal and no Brexit. No deal has to be the only legitimate choice now.
    Indeed we do, but we won’t be living in a you seem to need.

Remain voters should have voted LibDem
    It would have made more sense but labour have very successfully held onto to them. And since I labour will end up backing remain despite Corbyn it will work out for them in the end.
  • dont be ridiculous

There are currently some significant parallels between the UK and France atm. we are simply catching them up on political expression
    Speaking on behalf of the PB editorial team and everyone below the line, we need more threads by you.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Lock him up.

But I suspect a GOP Senate will never vote to convict Trump.

Doesn’t matter. He’ll go to jail after he leaves office.
    Piers Morgan?
    Now that would be icing on the cake. But as far as I'm aware, there has been no hint of Morgan straying around of the bounds of the law since his brush with insider trading.
    Phone hacking?
    I don't think he was ever in jeopardy of criminal charges (?) - though Leveson did have some very uncomplimentary things to say about him.

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

It is curious.

Its mystifying to me.

As a good Muslim boy I’ve never tried a spit roast.
    You will get a good idea of what it's like being in the middle when we Bremain in the EU.

• BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    The Remain campaign in the upcoming referendum on Mrs May's Deal versus Remain will not be the same as last time. It will differ in these respects:

1. It will be effectively and coherently led, but not publicly by a "big name". It will be a bottom up, social media, "people's campaign".
    2. It will be positive. It will not knock the Leavers as old, stupid or racist. Rather it will acknowledge their concerns and attempt to address them.
    3. It will not argue for the status quo in Europe but for a positive change for Britain, based on a stronger economy, addressing the problems of the poorer regions and the "left-behinds". Many who voted Leave last time want change. The Remain campaign will offer them that.

If will feel very different from the previous Remain campaign.

It won't heal the divisions. There will still be a smallish embittered group of eurosceptics as there have been for the last 40 years. But if Mrs May's Deal Campaign is also equally respectful of Remainers' concerns and ambitions, then I think it could be the start of a healing process, no matter which side wins.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    I think the judgement weakens further the already weak Gov't negotiating position. If the Gov't doesn't like the WA then they can simply revoke. This will be pointed out by Barnier and co if further negotiations to obtain more concessions are now sought.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911

kle4 said:

Staying must now be a near racing certainty

Well done to Nicola Sturgeon
    You cannot see beyond no deal.

If Brexiteers had any sense they should accept TM deal or it is all over for a generation
    Some of those 17.4million want to accept the deal so we leave at all. Right now that is looking very shaky.

Parliament might accept other brexits than Mays deal, but probably only softer ones. So it's either bad brexit or no brexit - since it is now legally simple to revoke A50. I doubt we will for some months, we need to be right up to the wire for enough Mps to break ranks and bring down the government, but it is looking good for remainers right now.

Everyone will need to remember we could have left. We had a deal, however imperfect, that meant we were legally out. Well done to the Brexiteers who truly do believe no brexit is better than a bad brexit. But that also means no complaints from them please, since it was by their choice we now may remain.
    No deal is better than a bad deal.

The only way to test your thesis is to hold a second referendum no deal vs deal. Remain should be left out of the choices as they have already lost once. If Parliament wants a different deal they should first dissolve, hold a general election and win an electoral mandate for it. May’s deal bears no resemblance to any party’s manifesto commitments on Brexit.
    I can see why leavers are keen not to allow people to change their minds but if there is a genuine majority for Remain now how is more democratic to artificially deny them that option in a second vote?

Your stance appears to be that having voted for an undefined Brexit 2+ years ago by a narrow 3.8% margin that we have to stick with it come hell or high water even if , as in the case of a No Deal Brexit in particular, a significant majority don't want it, and that includes many leave voters.

The problem inherent with Brexit is that a significant minority of leave voters oppose each specific Brexit option so the 3.8% majority disappears whatever you do.
  • It does seem like we are at one of those realignment moments which really could see the eclipse of one of more of the established political parties.

Leave was largely won through the offices of such as Dominic ‘Wormtongue’ Cummings, and anyone who parades under the banner of “Odyssean Project” is hardly a populist.
    Those who are about to be replaced rarely see it coming. The Liberals after the Great war must have been just as confident as you are about the ineptitude of the rabble who would shortly completely eclipse them.

Things change when people change how they think. Brexit has changed how we see politics and the old alliances on which, for instance, the Conservative party has been built are collapsing before our eyes.

• kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Yes, they seriously underestimate how difficult it could prove because they only care about keeping us in at all costs. But that seems to be the next challenge to he faced, since leave is too divided to confirm something.
    I'm not sure whether I count as an ultra-Remainer but my view is that Britain's spiral down continues. Every option from here looks to be a deterioration of the position. Remaining in the EU would be as disastrous (in different ways) as leaving on any of the currently feasible methods.

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Antiquarian Action!

Prediction: the most embittered generation this country will ever have seen will be those who put their hopes in the EU and Jeremy Corbyn....
    Don't necessarily disagree if you conflate the two. But they would also be delighted that you (and I) might be so irritated.

kle4 said:

It is curious.

They think that MPs will do what their manifesto commits them to.
    Barnesian said:

2. It will be positive.

Lol - it wont be a long document then ?

dont be ridiculous

Budding Brit revolutionaries need to get down to Halfords:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/jackets-gilets/force-v48-windproof-gilet?_br_psugg_q=hi+viz+jackets

Xenon said:

The two year period can only be shortened by agreement.

On paper.

Unless the ECJ again finds that A50 says something that it doesn't.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Antiquarian Action!

Don't necessarily disagree if you conflate the two. But they would also be delighted that you (and I) might be so irritated.
    They'll have to file under "Grim Satisfaction".

As they fight us, foraging for roots and berries....
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082

It does seem like we are at one of those realignment moments which really could see the eclipse of one of more of the established political parties.

Those who are about to be replaced rarely see it coming. The Liberals after the Great war must have been just as confident as you are about the ineptitude of the rabble who would shortly completely eclipse them.

Things change when people change how they think. Brexit has changed how we see politics and the old alliances on which, for instance, the Conservative party has been built are collapsing before our eyes.

Yes, Torys who say "F*** Business" have lost the plot, and disappeared down a nativist rabbit hole.
  • Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

It is curious.

They think that MPs will do what their manifesto commits them to.
    Nothing in the Conservative party manifesto committed MPs to risk disruption of food or medical supplies.

kle4 said:

It is curious.

This is the thing I still don't understand. I get details still needed to emerge, that challenging the leader is hard, etc etc. But time and again she went down one path which they said was terrible, many quit over it, yet didn't challenge her, saying she had to change course even as she said changing course was impossible. Why the Tory confrontation did not occur ages ago I do not know. Ok maybe they'd lose, but nothing need compel them to vote for the deal regardless.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Gosh. Rather testy on here this morning.

If we end up remaining, turnout for the next General Election could easily drop below 50%. I would also expect a 1997-style result for the Conservatives.

I back May’s deal, but if it looks we’ll strongly Remain I’d be tempted to switch to help put the issue to bed. In the last decade we have had enough constitutional politics for the century, and we have much more important things to focus on (population ageing, lack of competitiveness etc).

No more please.
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Professor smartarse is not helping this debate.
    No, how is it any different from the deal rejected in 2016?
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547

Come on, chaps, it's a testy moment but there's no need to get nasty here (indeed, it won't change anything either way).

Someone the other day suggested cancelling the vote would itself require a vote, which wouldn't pass. Is it just in May's gift?

The endless can-kicking is ridiculous.

The consensus on here yesterday seemed to be that the vote can only be pulled by another vote. But I do recall seeing somewhere last week that the government could talk it out by allowing the debate to overrun. Or of course it could propose a wrecking amendment to its own motion. But either of these courses of action would be almost as humiliating as going ahead with the vote and losing.

However, given May's usual priority, to preserve the government until next week, or at least tomorrow, I think pulling the vote at the last minute cannot be ruled out.

Not sure I would want to be a worker for either Labour or the Tories next General Election in Stoke or Mansfield or Hartlepool or.....
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RoyalBlue said:

I back May’s deal, but if it looks we’ll strongly Remain I’d be tempted to switch to help put the issue to bed.

LOL

If we leave, every problem for the next decade is going to be blamed on leaving.

Brexit will haunt all of us to our graves
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    TGOHF said:

If Parliament overturns the result that is one thing but if the result is overturned in a second referendum I can't see your problem. Most people will accept that in light of recent events enough people changed their minds and preferred to remain on current terms.
  • As an aside, in Chris Wickham's The Inheritance of Rome, which I'm enjoying, he notes that the divide around 750 AD is not between those invaded or not, but between the British Isles and the continent, the former abandoning (or never having, in Ireland and parts of Scotland) Roman practices and the latter essentially trying to continue them.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Theresa May's deal 15%
    Try to get a better deal 12%
    Leave the EU with no deal 17%
    No Brexit: Stay in the EU 31%
    A Referendum on the deal 7%
    Something else/Don't know 18%

• Leavers are absolute c**** aren’t they

twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1071760592141201408?s=21

French protesters always take it to another level,

RIOTERS erected a mock guillotine on the ravaged streets of France

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7938050/paris-riots-day-rage-macron-guillotine-threat/
    Mildly surprised that Sterling seems completely unmoved by the CJEU decision this morning.
  • Pulpstar said:

Theresa May's deal 15%
    Try to get a better deal 12%
    Leave the EU with no deal 17%
    No Brexit: Stay in the EU 31%
    A Referendum on the deal 7%
    Something else/Don't know 18%

As with all the polling, no really clear / conflicting answers.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Barnesian said:

The Remain campaign in the upcoming referendum on Mrs May's Deal versus Remain will not be the same as last time. It will differ in these respects:

1. It will be effectively and coherently led, but not publicly by a "big name". It will be a bottom up, social media, "people's campaign".
    2. It will be positive. It will not knock the Leavers as old, stupid or racist. Rather it will acknowledge their concerns and attempt to address them.
    3. It will not argue for the status quo in Europe but for a positive change for Britain, based on a stronger economy, addressing the problems of the poorer regions and the "left-behinds". Many who voted Leave last time want change. The Remain campaign will offer them that.

If will feel very different from the previous Remain campaign.

It won't heal the divisions. There will still be a smallish embittered group of eurosceptics as there have been for the last 40 years. But if Mrs May's Deal Campaign is also equally respectful of Remainers' concerns and ambitions, then I think it could be the start of a healing process, no matter which side wins.

Bit early in the day for MDMA...
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Antiquarian Action!

Activists will break into your home and leave notes criticising your extensive Jackie Collins collection.
    edited December 2018

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Antiquarian Action!

They'll have to file under "Grim Satisfaction".

As they fight us, foraging for roots and berries....
    Instead of paying £5 a punnet in M&S Food, you mean?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Scott_P said:

RoyalBlue said:

I back May’s deal, but if it looks we’ll strongly Remain I’d be tempted to switch to help put the issue to bed.

LOL

If we leave, every problem for the next decade is going to be blamed on leaving.

Next decade? next half century more likely....
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Quick thought:

If May does go for a Deal/No Deal referendum without Remain, Corbyn will call a VONC, and Soubry, Grieve and Greening etc. will either back him or abstain.

No Tory will vote against the government or abstain in a VONC. It’s just not going to happen
    edited December 2018
    Donny43 said:

If parliament votes to overturn the referendum result, JRM will vote against.

I didn't mean he wants us to remain. I know he doesn't and will fight it. But he and his are preventing us from leaving working hand in hand with remainers. He hopes and assumes we leave in a different way instead but unintended consequences are still consequences. He has been one of the biggest helpers to the remain cause.
  • Charles said:

Quick thought:

No Tory will vote against the government or abstain in a VONC. It’s just not going to happen
    Sarah Wollaston?
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Patriots with gallows and the Stars and Stripes. Dear me.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited December 2018
    Barnesian said:

Bollocks, just look at the Remainer response to the judgement today.

If anything I'd expect Remain to double down on the abuse, trying to turn the referendum into a vote about morality, not politics or economics.

This country is more divided than it has been in decades, and neither leave or remain will fix that. I personally expect things to go from bad to worse.
  • eek said:

Scott_P said:

RoyalBlue said:

LOL

Next decade? next half century more likely....
    Well Labour still blame Thatcher for most of the countries woes and the Tories will continue to blame Labour for "there's no money left" for the foreseeable future.
This discussion has been closed.