Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets now make it a 61% chance that Brexit won’t

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Pulpstar said:

Anyone want a wager that HS2 will be late and overbudget.

HS2 is deader than PM May and Brexit.
  • Options

Much jumping to judgement, I see.

Here's an idea: why not wait for a full 2 hours and 12 minutes, and see what she has to say?

Because it's a betting site? This is the time to pick up the consequences of what's going on, before it becomes obvious to the political media (except Peston, obvs).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Barnesian said:

She will survive the immediate VNOC in her leadership

I'm not so sure she will.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Pulpstar said:
    May, "may", "indefinitely", "backstop" - inextricably linked.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Scott_P said:
    Remind me how much they refused to pay for electricfication oop North?

An absolute shower is Chris Grayling.
    Oops, not DfT's responsibility (though it will be their problem).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

Here's an idea: why not wait for a full 2 hours and 12 minutes, and see what she has to say?

THREAD SUSPENDED. GO BACK TO YOUR SPREADSHEETS AND DO SOME WORK. WE WILL RECONVENE AT 15:30.
    Yeah, I've got end-of-year bonuses to finalise.
    Ooh, I hope I get a puppy.
    We might be able to run to a picture of the PM signed by herself.
    That'll fit in nicely on my tat shelf of ironic thingummies.
    As the ex-Mr Amber Rudd once said, so acutely, the problem with watching stupid reality shows is that there is no button to press anywhere to show that you are doing so ironically.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Scott_P said:
    The official "iron rule of megaprojects": Over time, over budget, over and over.

They're also inevitably oversold on the grounds of their benefits. Unfortunately, politicians love them because they look decisive, statesmanlike, transformative, and - best of all - they'll be long gone by the time they turn out to be over time, over budget, and oversold.

This doesn't mean you should never do a megaproject - just make sure you're realistic about the cost, time, and - especially - benefits against the cost and time. Always double or treble each of the costs and time, and halve the expected benefits, and you'll be in the ballpark of the real cost, time, and benefit.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

ERG will just sit back, arms folded. And wait.

......and in a year or two, when their actions have resulted in us staying in the EU, maybe some of them might even think: "We could have had 90% of what we wanted, but instead we gambled it all for 100% and got nothing."
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited December 2018

Oort said:

HYUFD said:

A general election solves NOTHING there is no majority in the Commons for Corbyn's Brexit plus permanent Customs Union either

A general election could solve that problem!

So could a government of national unity that excludes the ERG rather than letting them have a third of the seats in the Cabinet as they do now. Sure, it would mean the end of the Tory party in its present form. If I were Corbyn I'd consider that a result.

The Tories did well in the 1930s out of a National Government as did the country. Personally it would have been my chosen vehicle in 2010 rather than the ConDem concoction. It would have nipped a lot of problems in the bud that we now face.
    A GNU is only possible if Labour is willing to split, which it isn't.

(Edit - and, even more pertinently, there can't be a Government of National Unity if there isn't any unity).
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

TGOHF said:

No sign of many cheerleaders for Mrs May now.

Regardless of the topic - this is an utter failure by the PM.

48 letters must be in tonight - surely.

If we assume that she is heading back to Brussels to renegotiate the backstop, then she is only doing what the ERG told her to do. Why put in a letter now if you didn't do so when Mogg said to do so?
    Agree. She can either deliver the goods - or resign.

ERG will just sit back, arms folded. And wait.

The likeliest outcome though is May expends her remaining political capital in Brussels (plus pledges a bunch of extra cash/concessions), shows it to Parliament with a flourish - and everyone goes "What the actual fuck is THAT?"
    The chances of May getting a significant concession that changes enough minds to get a vote through Parliament must be tiny.
  • Options

Because it's a betting site? This is the time to pick up the consequences of what's going on, before it becomes obvious to the political media (except Peston, obvs).
    I'm not seeing much sober discussions of the probabilities
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    TOPPING said:

THREAD SUSPENDED. GO BACK TO YOUR SPREADSHEETS AND DO SOME WORK. WE WILL RECONVENE AT 15:30.
    As the ex-Mr Amber Rudd once said, so acutely, the problem with watching stupid reality shows is that there is no button to press anywhere to show that you are doing so ironically.
    I remember Johnny Speight said something similar about Alf Garnett. Of course, you as an educated liberal, are writing Alf dripping with irony and thinly-veiled contempt, but you also know that a chunk of your audience love him unironically for "sticking it to the darkies".

Never assume other people you meet are on the same irony level as you.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Oort said:

HYUFD said:

A general election solves NOTHING there is no majority in the Commons for Corbyn's Brexit plus permanent Customs Union either

So could a government of national unity that excludes the ERG rather than letting them have a third of the seats in the Cabinet as they do now. Sure, it would mean the end of the Tory party in its present form. If I were Corbyn I'd consider that a result.

Speaking as a Liberal Leaver, I have virtually abandoned all hope of Leaving sans catastrophe, and if the alternative is a GE and a probable Corbyn government, I would rather have a 2nd referendum, and then I suspect I would vote, sadly and with some self hatred, for Remain.

This is coming down to realpolitik - and seriously nasty economic choices.

Economic consequences can always be mitigated to some extent at least. The damage to democracy and society will be far more serious and long lasting.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

Scott_P said:
    A good day to bury bad news? I suspect a bit of Co-ordination is going on here!
    Yesterday was supposed to be the opening day, too.
  • Options

I'm not seeing much sober discussions of the probabilities
    Its difficult to work them all out to be fair.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

TOPPING said:

I remember Johnny Speight said something similar about Alf Garnett. Of course, you as an educated liberal, are writing Alf dripping with irony and thinly-veiled contempt, but you also know that a chunk of your audience love him unironically for "sticking it to the darkies".

I always thought was particularly true of Al Murray's Pub Landlord.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

In The Loop
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Hopefully, in the event of no deal Brexit, that will be binned.
    Delayed, perhaps, but not binned. We'll come back to it in 20 or 30 years when capacity on the WMCL has run out and wonder "why didn't we start building it so that it was ready when we needed it?"

Like Crossrail.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916

Personal note. At a dinner party last Saturday, I opined that May's deal was the best compromise we were likely to get and I admired her for sticking to her guns and trying to get it through despite the widespread opposition. "That's what makes the difference between leaders and people who just kick the can down the road in the hope that something will turn up. She may lose now but the respect she'll gain will pay dividends later." (Or less articulate words to that effect - it was quite a nice Merlot I was drinking.)

So I feel a little let down.

And was your view sympathised with? Of the deal, not the Merlot?
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    OMG. What have we become as a nation?
    That would have been a national scandal a few years ago. Now everyone just shrugs and forgets about it 5 minutes later.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    The official "iron rule of megaprojects": Over time, over budget, over and over.

They're also inevitably oversold on the grounds of their benefits. Unfortunately, politicians love them because they look decisive, statesmanlike, transformative, and - best of all - they'll be long gone by the time they turn out to be over time, over budget, and oversold.

This doesn't mean you should never do a megaproject - just make sure you're realistic about the cost, time, and - especially - benefits against the cost and time. Always double or treble each of the costs and time, and halve the expected benefits, and you'll be in the ballpark of the real cost, time, and benefit.
    Crossrail makes total sense, and is badly needed: which is why this "indefinite delay" is so depresssing, and outrageous. Heads must roll etc etc

HS2 is an absolute nonsense, and must surely be cancelled.
    Does indefinite delay not mean they don't have an end date which commands confidence ?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

Speculation is inevitable. And when someone looks this stupid what can one do other that postulate wildly about what is going on?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

My mistake was not realising that the British people had already been jailed, and betrayed, by the wretched abomination that is Article 50 - written by a British civil servant, Lord Kerr, who openly admits it is designed to be so punishing and painful no sane nation would ever use it.

That's the Article 50 which first appears in the EU Constitution/Lisbon and on which both main parties promised us a vote, a vote we were then denied. We would of course have voted down Lisbon (meaning no A50) which is why the europhile elite never gave us a vote.

That's when the great betrayal of the British people took place, by people like you. I will spend the rest of my life despising europhiles, and maybe even physically assaulting them if I get the chance.

Nonetheless you won, when we signed Lisbon without a referendum. You guys successfully locked the British people into the EU, and made a sensible exit from the EU impossible, for your own nation.

Well done. You must be proud.

Enjoy the fruits of your victory: a nation bitterly divided, for a generation or more.

There was a sensible and realistic route to exit. It's just that Leavers and Remainers alike didn't want it.

STEP ONE: Negotiate an exit to EEA/EFTA. Not trivial, but very possible and should be achievable in less than two years. Exits CAP, CFP, most of the EU acquis, ECJ, reduces payments significantly. On the other hand, retains Freedom of Movement and some costs and reduces (but does not remove completely) influence over Single Market legislating.

At this point, the moment the agreement is signed, we're out and Article 50 is expired. We're a non-EU country and the only way back is through official accession.

STEP TWO: Decide where we want to end up. We can prepare (in slow time) for WTO rules, or negotiate a CETA-like agreement, or decide to stay put. Exiting the EEA Agreement can be done by giving twelve months notice. The power asymmetry with the EU is gone; there's no Article 50 timelimit.

However, the EEA countries might be concerned about us potentially just using them temporarily, so a competent negotiator would assure them that there's no chance of us going further and that they're sure we'll stay in the EEA for the forseeable future. At least until it's all signed.

No chance of that now, of course.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not on your life
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800

So Erskine May says the right to move an order of the day belongs to the House at large not just member in charge, then says it must be taken on by another member in absence of the forementioned one.

i.e. if the goverment doesn't move an order of the day, another member may so move in the government's absence?

So it looks to me like the house CAN force the meaningful vote, simply by moving to resume the business of last week, if the Leader of the House so declines.

@david_herdson: Given your line on the impossibility of the second referendum is predicated on the government's control over house business, do the chinks in that control seen in the last week give you any pause for thought?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Speculation is inevitable. And when someone looks this stupid what can one do other that postulate wildly about what is going on?
    I'd like to hear what she could possibly say that could be a useful remedy.

• Options

Personal note. At a dinner party last Saturday, I opined that May's deal was the best compromise we were likely to get and I admired her for sticking to her guns and trying to get it through despite the widespread opposition. "That's what makes the difference between leaders and people who just kick the can down the road in the hope that something will turn up. She may lose now but the respect she'll gain will pay dividends later." (Or less articulate words to that effect - it was quite a nice Merlot I was drinking.)

Indeed. She was going to lose but could in some respect hold her head high. No longer . Not deserving of respect.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

I think it would be fair to say that most of us on here agree that the options as of this morning were

1 May's deal
    2 No deal
    3 Remain

May's deal is now dead. Nobody thinks Parliament will accept no deal, and now, thanks to the ECJ, MPs have a cast iron way of avoiding no deal by simply voting to revoke article 50. So Option 3 is the only one left on the table.

Remain was killed by the people on 23rd June 2016. Assuming the MPs realise who their boss is.
    And leave was killed on 10 December 2018 (if not before).
    No, it wasn't.
    It was hobbled. It may creep over the line but it's far harder now.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

At least on internet chatrooms it's easy to discern irony.
  • Options

SeanT said:

My mistake was not realising that the British people had already been jailed, and betrayed, by the wretched abomination that is Article 50 - written by a British civil servant, Lord Kerr, who openly admits it is designed to be so punishing and painful no sane nation would ever use it.

That's the Article 50 which first appears in the EU Constitution/Lisbon and on which both main parties promised us a vote, a vote we were then denied. We would of course have voted down Lisbon (meaning no A50) which is why the europhile elite never gave us a vote.

That's when the great betrayal of the British people took place, by people like you. I will spend the rest of my life despising europhiles, and maybe even physically assaulting them if I get the chance.

Nonetheless you won, when we signed Lisbon without a referendum. You guys successfully locked the British people into the EU, and made a sensible exit from the EU impossible, for your own nation.

Enjoy the fruits of your victory: a nation bitterly divided, for a generation or more.

There was a sensible and realistic route to exit. It's just that Leavers and Remainers alike didn't want it.

STEP ONE: Negotiate an exit to EEA/EFTA. Not trivial, but very possible and should be achievable in less than two years. Exits CAP, CFP, most of the EU acquis, ECJ, reduces payments significantly. On the other hand, retains Freedom of Movement and some costs and reduces (but does not remove completely) influence over Single Market legislating.

At this point, the moment the agreement is signed, we're out and Article 50 is expired. We're a non-EU country and the only way back is through official accession.

STEP TWO: Decide where we want to end up. We can prepare (in slow time) for WTO rules, or negotiate a CETA-like agreement, or decide to stay put. Exiting the EEA Agreement can be done by giving twelve months notice. The power asymmetry with the EU is gone; there's no Article 50 timelimit.

However, the EEA countries might be concerned about us potentially just using them temporarily, so a competent negotiator would assure them that there's no chance of us going further and that they're sure we'll stay in the EEA for the forseeable future. At least until it's all signed.

That was achievable immediately after the referendum. Most remainers and many leavers would have accepted it.

Then came along May with her "red lines".
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Sky reporting that Govt will not bail out Crossrail. Saying Govt will only offer 300 - 400 million as a loan and that Londoners have to foot the whole bill. Mayor Kahn needs to find 1.4 billion and the loan repayments.
  • Options
    OortOort Posts: 96
    The Times, Guardian and Independent say she will postpone. The BBC say she is expected to. If she does then surely she will be forced out within days at most.
  • Options

SeanT said:

We could remain, and then get our EEA-EFTA ducks in line within the EU. And then push the button again only when we know people, parliament and the EFTA are all on board this thing happening.
  • Options
    Today shows once again why lawyers and an independent judiciary are essential for a healthy democracy.

Praise all lawyers as Shakespeare meant to say.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Oort said:

HYUFD said:

Speaking as a Liberal Leaver, I have virtually abandoned all hope of Leaving sans catastrophe, and if the alternative is a GE and a probable Corbyn government, I would rather have a 2nd referendum, and then I suspect I would vote, sadly and with some self hatred, for Remain.

Agreed.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

SeanT said:

The deal on the table is a sensible exit, but the leavers don't want it. They are so obsessed by the flock of birds apparently in the bush that the frozen turkey they had in their shopping bag has defrosted and flown off.
  • Options

Sky reporting that Govt will not bail out Crossrail. Saying Govt will only offer 300 - 400 million as a loan and that Londoners have to foot the whole bill. Mayor Kahn needs to find 1.4 billion and the loan repayments.

The stealth massively expanded congestion charge is just about to get even bigger and more expensive...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018

SeanT said:

That was never a possible route. For a start, our EU friends were adamant that we couldn't negotiate the future relationship until we'd signed a Withdrawal Agreement and actually left, so there was no option to negotiate an exit to EEA/EFTA until after leaving. And secondly, there was precisely zero chance of the EEA countries and the EU agreeing to an EEA route as a temporary staging post. What's in it for them? It would cause massive disruption, and then we'd want to bugger off anyway?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    There is already great symbolism to that March 29th date. Away from Westminster one of the effects of revoking article 50 will be a disastrous night for Tory councillors in May 2019. It is only the threat of Corbyn that might just prevent the Tory party from disintegrating on the ground altogether. Is the Corbyn threat enough though - I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    kle4 said:

Indeed. She was going to lose but could in some respect hold her head high. No longer . Not deserving of respect.
    If it were me, I'd just give it my best shot, and then resign if it were voted down.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

I resign. Someone else can try.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

Been at the cinema for the last two hours.

Have I missed much?

Do I need to postpone my viewing of Wreck It Ralph 2?

Wreck-it Tessie Breaks the Constitution.
    No, she is simply exploring its lesser known crannies.

It reminds one of the classic line from an apocryphal reference - "his men would follow him anywhere, if only out of a sense of morbid curiosity'...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Oort said:

HYUFD said:

You dolt. It was obvious that this would happen. That you are surprised (are you surprised) is about the only thing that is mildly surprising but then you were never that sharp to start with, albeit you have a great literary turn of phrase.
    Credit where it's due, he disguises his lack of sharpness by presenting a moving target.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

I think you are right. The new system makes it harder for her to survive. In voting against her, you do not have to choose any other candidate over her - that comes later. So, in a secret ballot, why should supposedly loyal cabinet ministers vote to support her if they fancy their own chances?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

Sure beats "nothing has changed".
  • Options
    Various swear-words spring to mind at such people.

https://twitter.com/Laura_K_Hughes/status/1072126467134423041
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

I think you are right. The new system makes it harder for her to survive. In voting against her, you do not have to choose any other candidate over her - that comes later. So, in a secret ballot, why should supposedly loyal cabinet ministers vote to support her if they fancy their own chances?
    And they were already leaking to the press their own ideas on what to do if the vote failed. Basically admitting they would vote against her as they have their own plans.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Has anyone asked Johnny Mercer for an official upgrade on his earlier "shit-show" designation?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

SeanT said:

We could remain, and then get our EEA-EFTA ducks in line within the EU. And then push the button again only when we know people, parliament and the EFTA are all on board this thing happening.
    Parliament will never agree to pushing the button again. And if we remain no senior politician is going to revive the idea of Brexit for many, many years. Brexit is a curse, it has ruined the careers of all those who have crossed its path - Cameron, Osborne, Johnson, May, Davis and many more have fallen victim. As, ironically, has UKIP.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

So Erskine May says the right to move an order of the day belongs to the House at large not just member in charge, then says it must be taken on by another member in absence of the forementioned one.

i.e. if the goverment doesn't move an order of the day, another member may so move in the government's absence?

So it looks to me like the house CAN force the meaningful vote, simply by moving to resume the business of last week, if the Leader of the House so declines.

@david_herdson: Given your line on the impossibility of the second referendum is predicated on the government's control over house business, do the chinks in that control seen in the last week give you any pause for thought?
    There is also the question of who will control the government, of course.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Crossrail makes total sense, and is badly needed: which is why this "indefinite delay" is so depresssing, and outrageous. Heads must roll etc etc

HS2 is an absolute nonsense, and must surely be cancelled.
    I happen to agree with Crossrail. And, to be honest, it's not doing badly at all on the pantheon of megaprojects.

Original estimate was £15.9 billion and 10 years. They then cut the budget to £14.8 billion (which was always going to be fiction; the costs for megaprojects don't go in that direction).

With the £590 million overspend last year and a further £1.7 billion estimate now (and we're late in the project stage), we're looking at just over £17 billion (7.5% above original estimates and 15% over the artificially reduced estimate) and a delay somewhere in excess of 1 year. I don't see it being delayed by more than, at most, an extra two years and maybe as little as an extra one year. That'd be 20% to 30% over time.

Annoying and embarrassing, but if you look at megaprojects (and if you want a big laugh at the expense of our ultra-efficient Teutonic cousins, check out the Berlin-Brandenburg Airport project), it's actually doing bloody well in comparison to most.
  • Options

Cancel HS2, give £1.4 billion to London to bail out Crossrail, and spend the rest Up North.

• Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited December 2018

SeanT said:

That was never a possible route. For a start, our EU friends were adamant that we couldn't negotiate the future relationship until we'd signed a Withdrawal Agreement and actually left, so there was no option to negotiate an exit to EEA/EFTA until after leaving. And secondly, there was precisely zero chance of the EEA countries and the EU agreeing to an EEA route as a temporary staging post. What's in it for them? It would cause massive disruption, and then we#d want to bugger off anyway?
    The great promoter of this Mr Flexit always said that we would have to force it by saying that we are members of EEA/EFTA already and we have only cancelled our EU membership not the other two. Then we would have a couple of years at most to move to an FTA, etc whilst the ECJ decided on whether we were members of EFTA/EEA or not.

There was some discussion initially about Article 192(From memory) before T May wrote her article 50 letter and as to whether that letter expressly stated we have left EEA/EFTA as well.
  • Options

Cancel HS2, give £1.4 billion to London to bail out Crossrail, and spend the rest Up North.

There's even less support up here for HS2 than the deal !
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Given the way his language has deteriorated, he might consider a small change to his surname ?
  • Options

That was never a possible route. For a start, our EU friends were adamant that we couldn't negotiate the future relationship until we'd signed a Withdrawal Agreement and actually left, so there was no option to negotiate an exit to EEA/EFTA until after leaving. And secondly, there was precisely zero chance of the EEA countries and the EU agreeing to an EEA route as a temporary staging post. What's in it for them? It would cause massive disruption, and then we'd want to bugger off anyway?

What's in it for them is a smooth transition and minimal disruption to trade.

As for couldn't negotiate that's not really true. Barnier kept asking early on what we wanted from this but Tessie thought it was a great idea to try to negotiate something that wasn't an option and so he closed down future negotiations talks. But early on they were actually happening.

Had we said from the start "this is our destination, at least for now" from an 'off the shelf' option I think the EU would have been much more amenable to negotiating it.
  • Options

The great promoter of this Mr Flexit always said that we would have to force it by saying that we are members of EEA/EFTA already and we have only cancelled our EU membership not the other two. Then we would have a couple of years at most to move to an FTA, etc whilst the ECJ decided on whether we were members of EFTA/EEA or not.

Yeah, that was nonsense.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    May needs to not get VONCed during that time, either by her party or the DUP.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Could we propose a motion to pretend the last two years never happened ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Scott_P said:
    Good. I fail to see what a delay buys.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Scott_P said:
    Has anyone asked Johnny Mercer for an official upgrade on his earlier "shit-show" designation?
    Some people need to have a valium.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Given the way his language has deteriorated, he might consider a small change to his surname ?
    Dunce?
  • Options

As for couldn't negotiate that's not really true. Barnier kept asking early on what we wanted from this but Tessie thought it was a great idea to try to negotiate something that wasn't an option and so he closed down future negotiations talks. But early on they were actually happening.

Had we said from the start "this is our destination, at least for now" from an 'off the shelf' option I think the EU would have been much more amenable to negotiating it.
    If the final destination was EEA, yes I agree that it would have been easier to negotiate. But not as a temporary staging post, and in any case an EEA-style deal was ruled out by the two Leave campaigns.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    SeanT said:

Xenon said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    That would have been a national scandal a few years ago. Now everyone just shrugs and forgets about it 5 minutes later.
    I don't think we will forget about this, at least not in London (as it looks like we Londoners are gonna have to pony up the money). This is bad news for Sadiq Khan, as there are very serious questions being asked about when exactly he knew Crossrail was in trouble, and why didn't he say anything....

He could end up in court.
    'Delayed indefinitely' is new. There's evidently some big issues with something; as the tunnels are complete, as are most of the stations, and they are running test trains, my guess is the very complex signalling systems. Probably wrong, though.

As you say, the question is when people knew that the project was in trouble.
  • Options
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Dunce?
    I was thinking of a single letter.
  • Options

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

She will say nothing has changed but I understand the backstop concerns and for that reason I will go back to the EU and they will be nice and write a three page addendum on page 586 of the WA which will clarify that the backstop remains as is but they will add some old bollocks which will sound vaguely conciliatory and which I will then hold a press conference about and proclaim victory and then I'll have the vote.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

If we assume that she is heading back to Brussels to renegotiate the backstop, then she is only doing what the ERG told her to do. Why put in a letter now if you didn't do so when Mogg said to do so?
    Yes - the ERG would be as well waiting until she comes back with some feeble crumbs from the EU - then knife her.

I just do not think your comment is at all acceptable.

On the day I have lost my special business partner of 40 years and a family friend of 50 years it is out of order
  • Options
    If we think the EU has played hardball with May before, imagine the terrifying edifice of stony silence she's gonna get when she demands "concessions".
  • Options
    It doesn't matter if the government are forced to have a vote or not now - the narrative has already moved on to what concessions can May get from Brussels to get the agreement past a vote later in December or probably January.

If the vote has to go forward tomorrow, and it loses heavily, May can say 'we already knew of its unpopularity which is why we tried to stop the vote and waste all your time, I'm off to the summit to get something that better fits what you want'.
  • Options

Can you elaborate on the rationale for your last para? It seems a tad fanciful from here.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    What the EU says and does are often two very different things. Official statements are meaningless at this point.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

She will say nothing has changed but I understand the backstop concerns and for that reason I will go back to the EU and they will be nice and write a three page addendum on page 586 of the WA which will clarify that the backstop remains as is but they will add some old bollocks which will sound vaguely conciliatory and which I will then hold a press conference about and proclaim victory and then I'll have the vote.
    Probably that is right. To be fair, she would have a point, in that the backstop has been absurdly misrepresented. But it's too late, as with the 'Dementia tax' she has totally failed to grasp the narrative and has allowed her political enemies to get their dishonest framing in first, so it becomes widely believed.
  • Options

John Rentoul
    ‏Verified account @JohnRentoul

Approx. No-deal Brexit: 124 MPs. PM's deal: 215 MPs. Referendum (ie, Remain): 300. With NDB as default if they can't decide

The problem in a nutshell
  • Options

SeanT said:

Xenon said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    I don't think we will forget about this, at least not in London (as it looks like we Londoners are gonna have to pony up the money). This is bad news for Sadiq Khan, as there are very serious questions being asked about when exactly he knew Crossrail was in trouble, and why didn't he say anything....

'Delayed indefinitely' is new. There's evidently some big issues with something; as the tunnels are complete, as are most of the stations, and they are running test trains, my guess is the very complex signalling systems. Probably wrong, though.

At the risk of opening Pandora’s box, what’s so special about the signalling?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

And was your view sympathised with? Of the deal, not the Merlot?
    To be honest I don't really take much notice of other people's political opinions. I just assume everyone agrees with me.
  • Options

If we think the EU has played hardball with May before, imagine the terrifying edifice of stony silence she's gonna get when she demands "concessions".

I can't see May demanding anything, much more like "pretty please"
  • Options

SeanT said:

Xenon said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

The signalling in the Heathrow tunnels is still giving major problems, last I heard. Plus some of the stations are nowhere near ready.
  • Options
    Apparently May is seeking a "legally-binding assurance" that we won't be trapped in the backstop indefinitely.

So she wants a legally-binding backstop to the backstop, to prevent the backstop acting as a backstop.

BREXIT, ladies and gentlemen.
  • Options

John Rentoul
    ‏Verified account @JohnRentoul

Approx. No-deal Brexit: 124 MPs. PM's deal: 215 MPs. Referendum (ie, Remain): 300. With NDB as default if they can't decide

The problem in a nutshell

If the no-dealers can be convinced that this is the only chance of Brexit (which is looking somewhat likely)....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    A bit like Leave EU and its referendum expenses
  • Options
    Hah. image
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Yes - the ERG would be as well waiting until she comes back with some feeble crumbs from the EU - then knife her.

I just do not think your comment is at all acceptable.

On the day I have lost my special business partner of 40 years and a family friend of 50 years it is out of order
    Typically decent of you Big G.

Condolences on what must be a day for a lot of reflection and reminiscing. Best wishes
  • Options
    Mrs M's popularity seems to have fallen even further over on ConHome; something that didn't seem possible.
  • Options
    The government whips who believed they could win the MV are now saying they're "confident" they can prevent the MV happening.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1072133163936301056
  • Options

SeanT said:

Xenon said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

The Guardian article mentions the signalling, but also says that test runs through the core have been cancelled. If the signalling is at issue, and there's no estimate of when it will be fixed, then that sounds as though they don't know how to fix it. It may never be fixed. This is potentially a monumental clusterfuck of the most epic of proportions.
  • Options

What the EU says and does are often two very different things. Official statements are meaningless at this point.
    "Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed". Agreed = signed for
  • Options

Apparently May is seeking a "legally-binding assurance" that we won't be trapped in the backstop indefinitely.

So she wants a legally-binding backstop to the backstop, to prevent the backstop acting as a backstop.

BREXIT, ladies and gentlemen.

Well, May and Robbins' version of Brexit.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Xenon said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Different and new systems. In fact, it has three signalling systems.

*) The central section runs under Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) moving block signalling . I know f'all about this.
    *) The western section runs ETCS level 2.
    *) The eastern section runs bog-standard TPWS/AWS.

Both CBTC and ETCS are relatively new and untried in the UK. The latter is, I think, only used on the Cambrian line in Wales and has had various problems, such as :
    http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Railway-safety-and-crime/raib-to-investigate-cambrian-line-ertms-failure

https://www.railengineer.uk/2016/01/08/signalling-crossrail/

I daresay an illustrious PBer may (or may not) be able to say more ...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Xenon said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

LondonReconnections have a long article on the CrossRail issues https://www.londonreconnections.com/2018/crossrail-a-hole-new-world/ it's from August but still holds true...
  • Options

"Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed". Agreed = signed for
    The UK hasn’t agreed. If it had, what are Parliament voting on?
This discussion has been closed.