Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets now make it a 61% chance that Brexit won’t

Comments

• If there turns out to be no BREXIT at all.

All that is left is to get our yellow jackets out.

ALL POLITICIANS have failed us and it is not acceptable

In the hands of your mate Corbyn. He just needs to vote for the deal and we're out.
    Your mate MAY is 100% responsible for this, even you know it.

History will not be kind to her or her arse crawlers
    She's not my mate, and she's most certainly not responsible for it. For all her many faults, it's hardly her fault that Corbyn torpedoed the Labour remain campaign, nor that the EU are intransigent, nor that Corbyn is playing cynical party-political games, and especially not that the ERG have decided they don't want the Brexit they campaigned for after all. And it's only partly her fault that the voters didn't give her the mandate she needed to get through all this.
    She's Prime Minister. The buck stops with her. She is 100% responsible for it.

If she'd bothered to turn up to the debates you might have a point on the mandate but even then she hasn't even tried to carry Parliament along with her during these negotiations.

In the hands of your mate Corbyn. He just needs to vote for the deal and we're out.

She's not my mate, and she's most certainly not responsible for it. For all her many faults, it's hardly her fault that Corbyn torpedoed the Labour remain campaign, nor that the EU are intransigent, nor that Corbyn is playing cynical party-political games, and especially not that the ERG have decided they don't want the Brexit they campaigned for after all. And it's only partly her fault that the voters didn't give her the mandate she needed to get through all this.
    Has anyone compared how much Corbyn and May each campaigned during the referendum?
  • Graham Brady saying no one wants the back stop and it is illegal and is pleased TM has paused the vote

You still think its TM's deal including backstop that's the best option?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

Graham Brady saying no one wants the back stop and it is illegal and is pleased TM has paused the vote

Is it illegal ?

Patterson was going on about the act of Union 1801 and so forth.
  • tpfkar said:

Floater said:

tpfkar said:

kle4 said:

Anecdote alert - acquaintance of mine opines that brexit is a terrible idea which no one even wanted in the first place so it should be cancelled tomorrow. Good to see the debate is not still boiled down to simple answers.

Remainer maths: 52% = "no-one".

Now, if he meant "no-one in my immediate circle of Facebook friends. All five of them." he might not have appeared such a pillock.
    Possibly an age thing? The Will of the Pensioners is a more accurate description of those who voted for Brexit - the workers never wanted it.
    Really - are you so very sure of that?

Let me save you time, no you are not sure because plenty of workers did and do still want it.

Even some very young workers in my place voted to leave.

Yes quite sure - the polling was overwhelmingly clear and the age divide remains. For example YouGov the week after the referendum

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted

Of course there were plenty of workers and young people who supported Brexit and senior citizens who did not; but they were not in the majority.

I'm really just trolling the 'Will of the People' phrase - clearly hit a nerve!

One in three BAME voters who voted voted for Leave. Leave wouldn't have won without their votes. My Cambodian-Canadian girlfriend voted to Leave. Your smearing of Leave voters as racist is unpleasant and you need to grow up.
    No, not all Leave voters are racist, but a lot certainly are, and having spoken to quite a few I doubt they would come through a polygraph test on racism very easily. Not all are completely stupid, but not many I have met will be qualifying for MENSA.
  • XenonXenon Posts: 471

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Leo Varadkar pissing on May's chips on the BBC

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1072134790634074112

If we do end up with no deal then it will give some satisfaction to see the smug expression wiped off that twerp's face.
    Indeed. He is public enemy number 1 as to why this is such a nightmare. Prior to that twerp taking office there was a mutually respectful alternative plan being created by both nations - after him its been like Brexit has been ran by Sinn Fein.
    Bullied into it by the EU or just hates us?
    He was very vocally in favour of Scottish Independence so maybe the latter.
    Ugh. I can't believe that we've allowed ourselves to get bullied by these irrelevant turds.

Will any of our politicians actually stick up for this country?

Priti Patel got shouted down with howls of outrage when she said we should point out what no deal would do to Ireland. And yet this bloke can smugly slag us off without any comeback.
  • Apparently May is seeking a "legally-binding assurance" that we won't be trapped in the backstop indefinitely.

She has negotiated an agreement that will lead to an indefinite delay trapped in the backstop.

Let's rename indefinitely delayed Crossrail the "Theresa Line".
  • Graham Brady saying no one wants the back stop and it is illegal and is pleased TM has paused the vote

I have no problem with it
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Graham Brady saying no one wants the back stop and it is illegal and is pleased TM has paused the vote

Yes.
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

tpfkar said:

Floater said:

tpfkar said:

kle4 said:

Anecdote alert - acquaintance of mine opines that brexit is a terrible idea which no one even wanted in the first place so it should be cancelled tomorrow. Good to see the debate is not still boiled down to simple answers.

Now, if he meant "no-one in my immediate circle of Facebook friends. All five of them." he might not have appeared such a pillock.
    Possibly an age thing? The Will of the Pensioners is a more accurate description of those who voted for Brexit - the workers never wanted it.

Let me save you time, no you are not sure because plenty of workers did and do still want it.

Yes quite sure - the polling was overwhelmingly clear and the age divide remains. For example YouGov the week after the referendum

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted

Of course there were plenty of workers and young people who supported Brexit and senior citizens who did not; but they were not in the majority.

One in three BAME voters who voted voted for Leave. Leave wouldn't have won without their votes. My Cambodian-Canadian girlfriend voted to Leave. Your smearing of Leave voters as racist is unpleasant and you need to grow up.
    No, not all Leave voters are racist, but a lot certainly are, and having spoken to quite a few I doubt they would come through a polygraph test on racism very easily. Not all are completely stupid, but not many I have met will be qualifying for MENSA.
    But that's a ridiculous statement. How many Remainers would qualify for MENSA? You are resorting to insults because you can't be bothered to engage with the arguments. That's lazy.
  • Surely the best compromise is to let all the old folk who voted for Brexit to pay a little extra for their passports so they can have a black one if they want it, and move as many of them as possible to the Falkland Islands, or New Zealand where they won't see many people with different skin colour/or speaking with funny accents.

When they are there we can simulate cliff edge Brexit specifically for them so they can see the effects on their cost of living, and allow them to pay for healthcare to simulate the NHS buckling through staff shortages . It will make great reality TV. It could be called, "I'm a Brexiteer get me out of here"

prick
    Who's your chum?
    Explain please? your witty repartee is confounding us
  • Pulpstar said:

Is it illegal ?

Patterson was going on about the act of Union 1801 and so forth.
    TM should put it to the ECJ - that would be fun
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

tpfkar said:

Floater said:

tpfkar said:

kle4 said:

You must be one hell of a bloke, all that knowledge

Has anyone compared how much Corbyn and May each campaigned during the referendum?
    I doubt it, but that isn't the point. Corbyn (or, to be more precise, Seumas Milne) actively sabotaged the Labour side of the Remain campaign. It's documented in fascinating detail in Tim Shipman's book.

Surely the best compromise is to let all the old folk who voted for Brexit to pay a little extra for their passports so they can have a black one if they want it, and move as many of them as possible to the Falkland Islands, or New Zealand where they won't see many people with different skin colour/or speaking with funny accents.

When they are there we can simulate cliff edge Brexit specifically for them so they can see the effects on their cost of living, and allow them to pay for healthcare to simulate the NHS buckling through staff shortages . It will make great reality TV. It could be called, "I'm a Brexiteer get me out of here"

prick
    Who's your chum?
    Explain please? your witty repartee is confounding us
    "us"? Royalty are we?
  • Xenon said:

Xenon said:

If we do end up with no deal then it will give some satisfaction to see the smug expression wiped off that twerp's face.
    Indeed. He is public enemy number 1 as to why this is such a nightmare. Prior to that twerp taking office there was a mutually respectful alternative plan being created by both nations - after him its been like Brexit has been ran by Sinn Fein.
    Link please.
  • Apparently May is seeking a "legally-binding assurance" that we won't be trapped in the backstop indefinitely.

She has negotiated an agreement that will lead to an indefinite delay trapped in the backstop
    Good. That would give us almost the entire benefit of the Single Market and Customs Union without the CAP, CFP, Freedom of Movement, or having to pay a single penny to the EU budget. It's a brilliant deal to get stuck in (which is why we won't be stuck in it).
  • Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

This is just the start

Riots are inevitable if we do not Leave IMO

If I had a pound every time a leaver made unspecific but ominous threats of violence I could buy a fetching new hat.

WE ARE NOT AFRAID OF YOU, YOU DIMWITS.
    Is it a threat to say that the sun will rise tomorrow?
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited December 2018
    You just know Nigel Foremain is some bitter old man who lives with his mother and lashes out as those more successful than him. Thankfully we have moved on from his prejudiced worldview.

It's an interesting take from Mr Smithson that today's ruling will help May. I would certainly think it appeals to both People's Vote and ERG as it suggests May's deal can be torn up.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    SeanT said:

This is just the start

If I had a pound every time a leaver made unspecific but ominous threats of violence I could buy a fetching new hat.

It's not a threat, it's a statement of fact. Britain is not magically immune to political violence (though we are more stable than most). We have had riots aplenty, MPs have been assassinated.

IF Brexit was simply cancelled - A50 revoked - then there would be almost certainly be a violent response from the hard right (and maybe hard left). Tommy Robinson has a lot of supporters.

A 2nd referendum, however, would be a sad day for our democracy, but maybe not so inflammatory.
    I concur. We will see violence.
  • Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Link please.
    I remember reading it from Tom Harris who is normally very reliable but his article is behind a paywall now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/20/leo-varadkar-arrogant-childish-not-task-negotiating-brexit/

Surely the best compromise is to let all the old folk who voted for Brexit to pay a little extra for their passports so they can have a black one if they want it, and move as many of them as possible to the Falkland Islands, or New Zealand where they won't see many people with different skin colour/or speaking with funny accents.

That is a nasty post.

I have been to New Zealand several times and it has an excellent racial mix, especially from Asia
    Fair point, but many Brexiteers see it as 1950s utopia and dream that we should be the same
    Utopia? No.

Less foreign than Romania or Bulgaria? Yes.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

IF Brexit was simply cancelled - A50 revoked - then there would be almost certainly be a violent response from the hard right (and maybe hard left). Tommy Robinson has a lot of supporters.

Does he really though?

The recent marches did not seem particularly well attended.

UKIP held a rally outside Downing Street. 4 people turned up and 3 of them have now quit the party.
  • This sounds remarkably positive compared with what the DUP have been saying. I wonder if there is some real movement?

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1072142368973963264
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    notme said:

Will the violence be greater than the food riots if we leave with no deal?
  • This sounds remarkably positive compared with what the DUP have been saying. I wonder if there is some real movement?

Hope so. Not from the DUP who have called this right all along (never thought I'd utter those words a decade ago).
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Does he really though?

UKIP held a rally outside Downing Street. 4 people turned up and 3 of them have now quit the party.
    It's hard to say. As things stand the vast majority expect Brexit to go ahead. If that changed then I suspect many of his supporters would take to the streets. The biggest problem would either be a huge backlash at the ballots or low turnout and disengagement at the ballot boxes. Hard to know which way it would go.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Scott_P said:
    "Six pints of bitter and quickly please. The world’s about to end."

"Oh yes sir nice weather for it. Going to watch the meaningful vote this afternoon?"

"No, no point."

"Foregone conclusion you reckon sir. Mrs May without a chance?

"No it’s just that the world’s going to end."

"Ah yes you said. Lucky escape for Mrs May if it did."
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    SeanT said:

This is just the start

It's not a threat, it's a statement of fact. Britain is not magically immune to political violence (though we are more stable than most). We have had riots aplenty, MPs have been assassinated.

A 2nd referendum, however, would be a sad day for our democracy, but maybe not so inflammatory.
    It's an opinion or a prediction.
    Statement of fact it is not - unless he has some special knowledge, of course. Which would make it a threat.
  • SeanT said:

I have no problem with it
    Read the article by the ex head of MI6 which I linked below, describing how disastrous it is for our military, security and intelligence independence, and capabilities, then tell me you are happy with the deal.
    It's a very incoherent article. He seems to be complaining simultaneously that we'd be cooperating too much and not cooperating enough, and most of his arguments apply (if they apply at all) even more strongly to remaining in the EU.
  • SeanT said:

This is just the start

I don't see the violence thing. After the moment of national humiliation I think much more likely we all decide to basically not discuss it in polite society- like your Granny farting at Christmas dinner. There will be a few rabble rousers but UKIP have made that unpalatable by heading to the far right. If Trump goes down under the Russian connection thing we will all be able to say the pesky Ruskies made us do it anyway.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Scott_P said:

notme said:

Will the violence be greater than the food riots if we leave with no deal?
    Yes, when you don't have any food, water or medicine you no longer have the physical capacity to riot.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    SeanT said:

Britain, where once standing up to Nazis was once considered a matter of national pride, now reduced to cowering in fear of the gammon under the bed.

tpfkar said:

Floater said:

tpfkar said:

kle4 said:

"Everything before the But..."

This sounds remarkably positive compared with what the DUP have been saying. I wonder if there is some real movement?

The backstop must "go". Sounds to me like DUP are drawing an impossible red line.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Does he really though?

My sense is that outside of the diehards, most leavers just want to leave. They’re not engaged enough to really care about he form that takes. The protests are about a type of Brexit.

The people who,voted leave generally aren’t the direct protesting type. They don’t go on marches, picket strikes or loudly tell everyone their views. But they do expect the referendum to be honoured.
  • Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Link please.
    I remember reading it from Tom Harris who is normally very reliable but his article is behind a paywall now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/20/leo-varadkar-arrogant-childish-not-task-negotiating-brexit/
    It says an ovation was given by the Dail to a speech by Nicola Sturgeon.

That’s very different from your fake news allegations that he was vocally in favour of it.

If it was so vocal the likes of the Express and Mail would have picked up on it instead of the perception in your head.

If that's positive I'd hate to see what negative looks like. Theresa's Brexit policy is in tatters; the EU don't look like budging and a calamitous No Deal crash-out is looming before our eyes. And, of course, even if Theresa does scrape together some alternative, it won't satisfy Corbyn or the ERG. We're sunk.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited December 2018
    If we don't leave, then essentially you'll have a massive section feeling disenfranchised. I think it's unlikely there'll be short term effects (Well there may be a bit).
    The long term corrosive effect will be greater than people think, it could mean the Tories being electorally finished or else radically moved to the right.
    It probably means at least a decade of Corbynism...

The Tory GOTV could become more challenging than 1997.
  • Brom said:

You just know Nigel Foremain is some bitter old man who lives with his mother and lashes out as those more successful than him. Thankfully we have moved on from his prejudiced worldview.

It's an interesting take from Mr Smithson that today's ruling will help May. I would certainly think it appeals to both People's Vote and ERG as it suggests May's deal can be torn up.

Haha that is really funny. I've really wound up the gammons on here today. They seem very techy for some reason. Could it be that reality is dawning on these poor gullible souls that their pathetic obsession is just a pile of nonsense, and they have been conned by the likes of Boris and Gove into following a vacuous philosophy that is supported by Donald Trump and bankrolled by Vladimir Putin? As the Donald would say: Sad.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Is it likely that quite a few MPs will be away from Westminster today; expecting an uneventful day?
  • SeanT said:

Britain, where once standing up to Nazis was once considered a matter of national pride, now reduced to cowering in fear of the gammon under the bed.
    It is far better not to have the Nazis there in the first place. But clearly you are too dumb to understand that.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

Apparently May is seeking a "legally-binding assurance" that we won't be trapped in the backstop indefinitely.

She has negotiated an agreement that will lead to an indefinite delay trapped in the backstop
    Good. That would give us almost the entire benefit of the Single Market and Customs Union without the CAP, CFP, Freedom of Movement, or having to pay a single penny to the EU budget. It's a brilliant deal to get stuck in (which is why we won't be stuck in it).
    For a smart guy that is a ludicrous statement. Trapped in the backstop, we will be a perpetual ruletaker (but with no rights), we will be unable to make new trade deals for ourselves, and we will have no say in trade deals made by the EU which will nonetheless apply to us. We will endure all the rigidities of EU law, with no say in making them. This will be insufferable for a country like Britain so we will be desperate to get out.

What will be the price of getting out? Access to fisheries, co-sovereignty of Gibraltar, extra contributions, plus military and defence subjugation already agreed (see below). On and on and on.
    Everything you say in the first paragraph is true (apart from the 'ludicrous statement' bit!) That doesn't alter the fact that what I said is also true. The backstop completely trashes the EU's red line on the indivisibility of the 'four freedoms', and most spectacularly it trashes the principle that we'd have to pay into the budget for full access to the Single Market. So anyone with half a brain cell can see that the probability that the EU will want us to be trapped in the backstop indefinitely is zero. It's worse for them than it is for us, even though we'd have to accept rules over which we have no say. Anyway, the Brexiteers claim that as members we have no say in the rules, so that's hardly an issue by their reasoning.
    edited December 2018
    notme said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Does he really though?

My sense is that outside of the diehards, most leavers just want to leave. They’re not engaged enough to really care about he form that takes. The protests are about a type of Brexit.

The people who,voted leave generally aren’t the direct protesting type. They don’t go on marches, picket strikes or loudly tell everyone their views. But they do expect the referendum to be honoured.
    This I see as 100% right.

You'll find that a lot of people who voted Leave were and are massively jaded regarding politicians. After the referendum, they said to themselves or others "Brexit will never happen, the politicians will ensure it doesn't".

And sure enough....

So rather than anger and surprise, it'll be a weary acceptance of the truth they already knew: that they do not have a voice. No Paris-style demonstations except by a few extemists.

Brom said:

Haha that is really funny. I've really wound up the gammons on here today. They seem very techy for some reason. Could it be that reality is dawning on these poor gullible souls that their pathetic obsession is just a pile of nonsense, and they have been conned by the likes of Boris and Gove into following a vacuous philosophy that is supported by Donald Trump and bankrolled by Vladimir Putin? As the Donald would say: Sad.
    It's your own fault that you're lashing out and embarrassing yourself, don't try and blame other posters. For a middle aged bloke it's pretty tragic in fairness.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,759

tpfkar said:

Floater said:

tpfkar said:

kle4 said:

I imagine that few people would qualify for MENSA, and don't think it signifies anything.

Some Leave voters are indeed racist, but so are some Remain voters. There has always been a strand of fascism that is strongly pro a United Europe (eg Sir Oswald Mosley).

This sounds remarkably positive compared with what the DUP have been saying. I wonder if there is some real movement?

It's the face saving that would be difficult
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2018
    Just spotted this YouGov questions and answer in the results page. Exercise for the reader to add the categories up as they see fit

1. The European Court of Justice has ruled the UK can cancel Brexit without the permission of the other member states. Imagine that the government did cancel Brexit, and Britain remained a member of the EU. How would you mostly feel?
    Delighted 23%
    Pleased 7%
    Relieved 13%
    Wouldn't mind either way 8%
    Disappointed 8%
    Angry 6%
    Betrayed 24%
  • SeanT said:

No. There isn't.

Want a small wager?
    No, but the tone of that is markedly more positive than the DUP's other recent tweets and statements.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Alistair said:

Just spotted this YouGov questions and answer in the results page. Exercise for the reader to add the categories up as they see fit

1. The European Court of Justice has ruled the UK can cancel Brexit without the permission of the other member states. Imagine that the government did cancel Brexit, and Britain remained a member of the EU. How would you mostly feel?
    Delighted 23%
    Pleased 7%
    Relieved 13%
    Disappointed 8%
    Angry 6%
    Betrayed 24%

Well there is roughly 10% missing who presumably don't know how they would feel. Of the remainder, the positive emotions of pleasure and relief account for almost half. Add in some of those who don't care and you have a majority.
  • notme said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Does he really though?

This I see as 100% right.

You'll find that a lot of people who voted Leave were and are massively jaded regarding politicians. After the referendum, they said to themselves or others "Brexit will never happen, the politicians will ensure it doesn't".

And sure enough....

So rather than anger and surprise, it'll be a weary acceptance of the truth they already knew: that they do not have a voice. No Paris-style demonstations except by a few extemists.
    Very true, after all - if voting changed anything, they'd abolish it.

In fact Richard it's a hardening of their attitude. " The Backstop must go " is an impossible Red Line as she knows.
  • SeanT said:

No. There isn't.

Want a small wager?
    No, but the tone of that is markedly more positive than the DUP's other recent tweets and statements.
    The 'movement' is that No 10 have binned their own deal and have explicitly linked a new deal to the backstop. I'm not surprised that the DUP are markedly more positive.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Delighted 23%
    Pleased 7%
    Relieved 13%
    Disappointed 8%
    Angry 6%
    Betrayed 24%

Well there is roughly 10% missing who presumably don't know how they would feel. Of the remainder, the positive emotions of pleasure and relief account for almost half. Add in some of those who don't care and you have a majority.
    Yeah sorry missed those out
    2% None of these
    9% Don't know
  • Cancelling a vote because you're going to lose it is a shade King Charles.
    Brom said:

Brom said:

It's your own fault that you're lashing out and embarrassing yourself, don't try and blame other posters. For a middle aged bloke it's pretty tragic in fairness.
    Don't feed....
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Delighted 23%
    Pleased 7%
    Relieved 13%
    Disappointed 8%
    Angry 6%
    Betrayed 24%

30% being betrayed or angry doesn't make for a stable society.
  • IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Delighted 23%
    Pleased 7%
    Relieved 13%
    Disappointed 8%
    Angry 6%
    Betrayed 24%

So you think it would be a good thing if a quarter of the population felt betrayed?

Cancelling a vote because you're going to lose it is a shade King Charles.

I would love for the Queen to enter the House right now and step in. But in which direction?!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    3:30.... who is low on popcorn?
    The Sword of Arlene is now laying down an *impossible* red line:

The backstop must go.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2018
    The twats are interrupting the outside broadcasts again. Haven't they got jobs to go to, kids to pick up from school etc etc etc?
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911

If there turns out to be no BREXIT at all.

GE2017
    If a second referendum shows that a majority of people want a no deal Brexit then so be it. At least we would know. As it is, if that is where we end up and it's a disaster half of you will turn round and say that's not we voted for.

It seems increasingly likely to me that whichever option we now take it will have to be ratified by a second vote to have any real credibility.
  • Pulpstar said:

If we don't leave, then essentially you'll have a massive section feeling disenfranchised. I think it's unlikely there'll be short term effects (Well there may be a bit).
    The long term corrosive effect will be greater than people think, it could mean the Tories being electorally finished or else radically moved to the right.
    It probably means at least a decade of Corbynism...

The Tory GOTV could become more challenging than 1997.

I live in deepest Leaverstan. I'm sure the Deep State that saw off the Soviets and IRA will cope with some angry pensioners on mobility scooters.
  • The government is being generally useless and weak. But that’s what minority governments are for the most part. That they are both a minority government and hopelessly divided on Brexit means even more nuttiness.
  • SeanT said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Link please.

That’s very different from your fake news allegations that he was vocally in favour of it.

If it was so vocal the likes of the Express and Mail would have picked up on it instead of the perception in your head.
    Yes, it makes no mention of Varadkar supporting Sindy. It also hasn't aged well for Tom Harris, in its claim that the Irish problem is a mirage which the EU will ignore. That didn't quite happen, did it?
    It has not aged well.

Is one thing that has surprised me the most, the EU being so united, I’d have thought Hungary or Italy may have played silly buggers.

In fact Richard it's a hardening of their attitude. " The Backstop must go " is an impossible Red Line as she knows.
    They've been saying that for some time. What's new is the bit about the PM listening. Maybe it doesn't mean much, but we shall see.

What I would say is that if I were Mrs May I'd be putting all of my effort into getting the DUP back on board. Not only would that give her a useful chunk of votes in a single block, it would also bring with it some Tory votes. Hard to see the EU playing ball, of course, but who knows?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

SeanT said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Link please.

Yes, it makes no mention of Varadkar supporting Sindy. It also hasn't aged well for Tom Harris, in its claim that the Irish problem is a mirage which the EU will ignore. That didn't quite happen, did it?
    It has not aged well.

Is one thing that has surprised me the most, the EU being so united, I’d have thought Hungary or Italy may have played silly buggers.

Spain tried, but got slapped down. Hopefully they now know who is in charge.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,759
    Alistair said:

Delighted 23%
    Pleased 7%
    Relieved 13%
    Disappointed 8%
    Angry 6%
    Betrayed 24%

Disappointed, not very surprised, willing to vote for the looniest of the loons in the next Euro election would be my response.
  • What I do concede is just about possible is for the government to switch to accepting a referendum on a No Deal / Remain choice, given that the government has just trashed its own deal and there's no other one available.

If they did that, it would get amended to a Revoke/Some Deal referendum, surely.
    It can only be a Revoke / Some Deal option if there is a deal on the table. As of now, there isn't. The government's just binned the one there was and is now apparently off on a unicorn hunt of its own in Brussels, having promised to deliver one back.

I don't see how the govt can succeed in getting the backstop amended and I do see how they can now sign (or resubmit) something with the backstop in it.

In theory, the Commons could reinsert the government's deal but it'd be a bit of an odd thing to do given that the whole reason we're here is that there's no majority for it in the House. As for Norway Plus, Canada Plus, or any other Plus, they're just concepts and not deals (and even as such, are unlikely to gain majority support in the Commons as a sole alternative to Remain).

SeanT said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Link please.

It has not aged well.

Where we were heading and what we are risking became obvious to them a lot quicker than it did to us.
    "Nothing has changed"
  • Maybot up...backstop ain't going anywhere.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,706
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

I am delaying the vote because I would have lost

Yada Yada Yada
    A list of inane statements of the obvious.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    God May is having to spell out to the morons exactly why the backstop is necessary.

How very depressing that she should have to do this.
  • Sean_F said:

tpfkar said:

Floater said:

tpfkar said:

kle4 said:

I imagine that few people would qualify for MENSA, and don't think it signifies anything.

Some Leave voters are indeed racist, but so are some Remain voters. There has always been a strand of fascism that is strongly pro a United Europe (eg Sir Oswald Mosley).
    Intellectually, Enoch Powell was probably the most brilliant mind to sit in the Commons in the 20th century. Didn't stop him being a racist.
    SHE'S ACTUALLY DOING A NOTHING HAS CHANGED

OH MY SWEET LORD
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    Anybody with any political nous would have known they would be right here, right now if they presented May's deal to the House. Why she has persisted for so long will be a fascinating part of the diaries no doubt being assiduously written up nightly.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749
    I hear T May has a card up her sleeve.....

It says "before serious competitions, discard jokers"
    There are people talking all the way through Mrs May's statement. Pipe down you toerags.

SHE'S ACTUALLY DOING A NOTHING HAS CHANGED

OH MY SWEET LORD

Poundshop John Oliver alert!
  • SHE'S ACTUALLY DOING A NOTHING HAS CHANGED

OH MY SWEET LORD

Well it served her well last time to be fair. She’s still here.
    PM is going to be traipsing around EU capitals. She should take her I-Spy books to see how many points Big Chief I-Spy will give her for "Bugger off!" in various European languages.
    sarissa said:

I hear T May has a card up her sleeve.....

It says "before serious competitions, discard jokers"

Insert obvious Boris comment.
    TOPPING said:

God May is having to spell out to the morons exactly why the backstop is necessary.

How very depressing that she should have to do this.

Indeed. Everything she sets out is perfectly reasonable.
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

SeanT said:

Just because some nut jobs want something doesn’t mean we are standing up to Nazis. They probably want people to pay their taxes but disbanding the HMRC isn’t standing up to them.
    From what she's saying to the House, you'd think the Brexit negotiations are just starting.....

Theresa, what the hell have you been doing for two years???

They've been saying that for some time. What's new is the bit about the PM listening. Maybe it doesn't mean much, but we shall see.

What I would say is that if I were Mrs May I'd be putting all of my effort into getting the DUP back on board. Not only would that give her a useful chunk of votes in a single block, it would also bring with it some Tory votes. Hard to see the EU playing ball, of course, but who knows?
    No, Richard. The listening but just means she's caved in to their impossible red line. Which makes the situation worse not better.
    Ref #2 has now progressed to "if"
  • SHE'S ACTUALLY DOING A NOTHING HAS CHANGED

OH MY SWEET LORD

What's the point of a delay then?
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    SeanT said:

TMay is actually handling this total humiliation quite well.

Totally agree with that. She’s doing well.
    SeanT said:

Practice
    Seeking further "assurances".....
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited December 2018
    "Nothing has changed"

(EDIT: with apologies for being late on parade after grabcoque)
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

She's pushing on in the faith compromise will win through in the end.

She's ploughing on into 2019.
This discussion has been closed.