Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the big vote gets delayed the betting on 2nd referendum get

Comments

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Floater said:

Sean_F said:

So what reason do avid Conservative Remainer MPs have to defer putting in their letters to Sir Graham now?

Fear of getting worse.
    Feck me - what would the odds would be on that?

Lowest of low bars
    There are at least 600 worse potential PM's than May in the Commons.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cyclefree said:

Oh dear. Cable indicating his support for a Labour VoNC. The Lib Dems have just lost me as a voter.

The stamina May shows is astonishing.

Trouble is - who on earth can anyone vote for now?

They are all shocking.
  • JSpring said:

Donny43 said:

Skinner is showing clear signs of senility with his sad contribution

I think we need an upper age limit on MPs.
    I suggest 70.
    Which would have meant that Churchill would have been forced to retire in 1944.
    We aren't in 1944 now. And setting an upper limit now would be about going forward with a modern parliament.
    Donald Trump is in the White House now, in part because of 1944 and a structural response to a perceived personnel problem.

As for "going forward with a modern parliament" - double-klaxon for pointless platitudes.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Given the PM says again "nothing has changed" and the EU are insisting "nothing will change" what's the point in delaying the vote?

She's gonna run down the clock. No MV until late March.
    What happens to Grieve's program motion ?
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Cyclefree said:

Oh dear. Cable indicating his support for a Labour VoNC. The Lib Dems have just lost me as a voter.

She is truly the Messalina of British politics. :naughty:
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Sean_F said:

So what reason do avid Conservative Remainer MPs have to defer putting in their letters to Sir Graham now?

Fear of getting worse.
    I repeat the question.

Theresa May is used up, like a squeezed lemon.
    Who do you (a) think will replace her; (b) want to replace her?
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Pulpstar said:

Given the PM says again "nothing has changed" and the EU are insisting "nothing will change" what's the point in delaying the vote?

Nothing. Grieve's motion only comes into effect if the MV is lost. No MV, no Grieve.

May just needs to delay the MV to 28th March.
  • Could someone senior please indulge in a pointless but spectacular resignation? We haven't had anything exciting happen for at least 30 minutes.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Cyclefree said:

Absolutely.

Parliament is acting like a bunch of children. May is one of the few there who is acting in a vaguely adult way. She is no political titan - but in the company of these fools, she is head and shoulders above the majority of MPs
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Could someone senior please indulge in a pointless but spectacular resignation? We haven't had anything exciting happen for at least 30 minutes.

:D
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    May is demob happy - she obviously doesn't give an Aylesbury duck about her own legacy.
  • Oliver Letwin speaks for many in his praise for TM
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

They are all shocking.
    I at last understand people who just do not vote, I've never been so tempted.
  • Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Fear of getting worse.
    I repeat the question.

(a) Mystic Meeks ain't that good. On the grounds that the Conservatives will choose the worst but superficially most appealing choice, Dominic Raab.

(b) Roughly 40 Conservative MPs are looking at themselves in the mirror today and perceiving the noble visage of the next First Lord of the Treasury.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    SeanT said:

Liz Kendall asks the first remotely cogent and piercing question.

She is quite an impressive politician. She would have been a good Labour leader. Shame.

I voted for her!

Sadly no-one else did...
    SeanT said:

She is quite an impressive politician. She would have been a good Labour leader. Shame.

She was the one I liked the most at that time. A fresh voice, some original thinking.
    Cyclefree said:

And only surpassed by her breathtaking inability to hear anything contrary to what she wants to hear.

• RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    SeanT said:

£1 is now worth 41 Thai baht. That's the lowest, as far as I can remember, since I started visiting Thailand 33 years ago. Ouch.

A £ is now worth less than 1.09 euros. The lowest I can remember. I was getting 1.33 euros before the referendum.
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Fear of getting worse.
    I repeat the question.

(a) no idea (b) Corbyn, Raab, Bojo, Davis, Rudd, a glittering array of talent.
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

They are all shocking.
    I have been saying that for 6 months, maybe a year - so long that I forget.... :open_mouth:
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Foxy said:

SeanT said:

I voted for her!

Sadly no-one else did...
    I paid my £3 to vote for her - she made more sense than the other options did...
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

She's gonna run down the clock. No MV until late March.</blockquote

That is the plan I guess , with no fergie time allowed.
  • Donny43 said:

JSpring said:

Donny43 said:

Skinner is showing clear signs of senility with his sad contribution

I think we need an upper age limit on MPs.
    I suggest 70.
    Which would have meant that Churchill would have been forced to retire in 1944.
    Well, it would have to be retirement at the first election after their 70th birthday, I suppose. Can't logically kick people out halfway through a term.
    Precisely, it is about setting an upper limit for the age of candidates. We already have a lower limit. An upper limit seems eminently reasonable.
    We have a lower limit because we have an age of majority. There is an obvious absurdity in allowing people to legislate on things they are banned from doing because they have not yet attained the age required to do it. It's completely different for an upper age.

You might as well use the same logic to require intelligence tests of candidates. Or perhaps physical tests too - after all, doing an MP's job properly requires stamina. You don't have to go far down that road before you seriously start compromising democracy.
    Up gets wave after wave of virtue signalling Remainer MPs abusing the ERG - what are they hoping to achieve ?
  • Pulpstar said:

Nothing. Grieve's motion only comes into effect if the MV is lost. No MV, no Grieve.

She can't. The Withdrawal Act 'No Deal' provisions kick in in late January.

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

They are all shocking.
    I have been saying that for 6 months, maybe a year - so long that I forget.... :open_mouth:
    Actually for my local MP my choice is clear - not so sure about his party but he clearly is a genuine public servant.
    I find it interesting that noone has attempted to force the need for a vote to a division. Government taking back control ?
  • Pulpstar said:

Do they? The HoC Twitter account said otherwise earlier.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    TGOHF said:

Up gets wave after wave of virtue signalling Remainer MPs abusing the ERG - what are they hoping to achieve ?

Five minutes of fame?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    eek said:
    Oh Brexit is far more complex than that. It'll be Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock for sure.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Just had a communication from my bank: "Looking beyond Brexit". I hadn't realised they indulged in 100-yr forecasts.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Some very good questions by Labour MPs. It must be just the Shadow Cabinet that are rubbish

Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/HouseofCommons/status/1072139351168114688
    philiph said:

TGOHF said:

Five minutes of fame?
    Every one gave Mrs May an opportunity to look like the grown up. Counter productive to the extreme.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mrs M calling on some MPs to be honest that they want a second referendum. But why would anyone vote in one it? Seriously? If they won't implement the result unless THEY like it, there's surely no point at all They promised to implement this one but they had their fingers crossed firmly behind their backs.

I would give up on democracy if a second referendum happens. At my age, it would only mean as much tax avoidance as possible (not that I pay a lot), insulting any canvasser who comes to my door, and voting for Joe Stalin or Adolf Hitler. Rage, rage against the dying of the democratic light.
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

They are all shocking.
    Actually for my local MP my choice is clear - not so sure about his party but he clearly is a genuine public servant.
    With mine, they do not bother counting the votes - a set of scales is sufficient :D
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    Cyclefree said:

Even her own side don't have much confidence in the government.

Labour needs pushing to get off the fence and actually take a position.
    So what do MPs do if their feet are being held to the fire for a few weeks?
  • David Lammy again showing he is a grade A moron.
    Brexit is going to go down to the wire I think. 28th March, high drama.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2018
    If the MPs had any brains, rather than just getting up and screaming people's vote, why not frame questions about what happens if you don't get any changes, what happens, where are we going....what happens if we no deal etc
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Sean_F said:

So what do MPs do if their feet are being held to the fire for a few weeks?

Do? Nothing. They're good at that.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    the Marx brother explain british poloitics

Fiorello (Chico ) : Hey, wait, wait. What does this say here, this thing here?
    Driftwood (Groucho ): Oh, that? Oh, that's the usual clause that's in every contract. That just says, uh, it says, uh, if any of the parties participating in this contract are shown not to be in their right mind, the entire agreement is automatically nullified.
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know...
    Driftwood: It's all right. That's, that's in every contract. That's, that's what they call a sanity clause.
    Fiorello: Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! You can't fool me. There ain't no Sanity Clause!

If the MPs had any brains, rather than just getting up and screaming people's vote, why not frame it as "well what happens if you don't get any changes, what happens, where are we going....what happens if we no deal etc"

Phillips did that and she just dodged the question and repeated her earlier answers
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    Roger said:

SeanT said:

£1 is now worth 41 Thai baht. That's the lowest, as far as I can remember, since I started visiting Thailand 33 years ago. Ouch.

A £ is now worth less than 1.09 euros. The lowest I can remember. I was getting 1.33 euros before the referendum.
    Pound now at $1.68 Canadian Dollar!
    Pulpstar said:

Yep - 5 to midnight - deal or hard Brexit.

edited December 2018
    IanB2 said:

If the MPs had any brains, rather than just getting up and screaming people's vote, why not frame it as "well what happens if you don't get any changes, what happens, where are we going....what happens if we no deal etc"

Phillips did that and she just dodged the question and repeated her earlier answers
    And that looks worse if you keep dodging the question. Rather than screaming people's vote 100 times and getting the same answer, I have already said, there won't be one.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Pulpstar said:

I think May isn't going to let Brexiteers just get away with sabotaging it. She wants to hold their feet to the fire and force them to admit they've changed their minds.
    Greening asking a serious question. May apparently unaware of the opinion of the HoC library.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    May unaware of what House of Commons library has said!
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

David Lammy again showing he is a grade A moron.

It was the silliest question I have heard so far.

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Fear of getting worse.
    I repeat the question.

(a) Mystic Meeks ain't that good. On the grounds that the Conservatives will choose the worst but superficially most appealing choice, Dominic Raab.

(b) Roughly 40 Conservative MPs are looking at themselves in the mirror today and perceiving the noble visage of the next First Lord of the Treasury.
    Thanks.

Re (b) I was wondering what your personal preference for next Tory PM might be.

Raab is a nitwit. I hope it’s not him.
  • Pulpstar said:

Do they? The HoC Twitter account said otherwise earlier.
    I believe so. It's Sub-sections 13(7) to 13(12).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/section/13

It could be that the HoC twitter feed was referring to the meaningful vote ratifying the WA. if so, that would be right, I think. However, what isn't possible is to get to March 29 without any vote in the Commons mandated by the Act on something or other.
  • Listening to TM she knows her subject in such detail she can stand at the dispatch box for hours responding to questions in a calm, polite and firm manner

It is also clear that TM is brexiteers best chance of brexit. She is standing firm against all the calls for the peoples vote and is ramping up no deal planning. She confirms that the UK will leave in March 19
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Listening to TM she knows her subject in such detail she can stand at the dispatch box for hours responding to questions in a calm, polite and firm manner

It is also clear that TM is brexiteers best chance of brexit. She is standing firm against all the calls for the peoples vote and is ramping up no deal planning. She confirms that the UK will leave in March 19

Good to see you've got your Mayjo back, Big G.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Fear of getting worse.
    I repeat the question.

Thanks.

I have a nightmare that the final two candidates in the next leadership election are Raab and Williamson.
    edited December 2018
    Can we ban faux outrage from the Commons?

It is getting very, very, very tiresome
    (from MPs on all sides)

Cyclefree said:

And only surpassed by her breathtaking inability to hear anything contrary to what she wants to hear.

That may be so. I was simply commenting on her physical and mental stamina in what is undoubtedly a stressful role while suffering from diabetes. As someone who suffers from asthma and who has worked in stressful jobs too, on a human level I sympathise with her, even while thinking that she is, alas, not the PM we needed at this time.
  • Can we ban faux outrage from the Commons?

It is getting very, very, very tiresome
    (from MPs on all sides)

HOW DARE YOU?!
  • TOPPING said:

Listening to TM she knows her subject in such detail she can stand at the dispatch box for hours responding to questions in a calm, polite and firm manner

Good to see you've got your Mayjo back, Big G.
    Thanks
  • I’m sure the Bottomless Pinocchio is a euphemism for a sex act.

https://twitter.com/stevenjay/status/1072158549306994689?s=21
    Bone has a point for once. May ignores him entirety.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    edited December 2018

Pulpstar said:

I thought the HoC library has now said that has been satisfied.
    edited December 2018
    May didn't answer the question of the exact method they would use to kill the vote.
  • SeanT said:

This is just boring now.

It is indeed
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

It is actually quite easy to give the same monotonous answer time and time again. A better politician would have avoided this.
  • PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    edited December 2018
    John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Fear of getting worse.
    I repeat the question.

Thanks.

I have a nightmare that the final two candidates in the next leadership election are Raab and Williamson.
    "Dominic Raab should shut up and go away, just like Russia haven't"
    Roger said:

SeanT said:

€1.4 for much of 2015
  • dixiedean said:

Bone has a point for once. May ignores him entirety.

You can't blame her to be fair
  • I think Glen and myself will be applying for this job.

https://twitter.com/msmithsonpb/status/1072166252423061504?s=21
  • SeanT said:

This is just boring now.

Sky News agree with you.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Good afternoon.

Well, turns out that May can put off the meaningful vote, and she has decided to dig her heels in after all. Does anyone know why?

Insofar as I can see, there are only two explanations:

(a) a desperate attempt to cling to power, for its own sake, for as long as possible
    (b) it's all part of a plan of unparalleled political genius, which will end in her somehow getting her deal onto the statute book without destroying her own party and provoking the DUP to bring down her Government

Or is there something I'm missing here?
  • In the words of someone better than me "is this wise?"
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    This government is a complete disgrace. They've wasted two years and now normal people like myself are anxious about our future. There's no guarantee I will be able to get my medicine from Denmark or Netherlands past March next year. Disgrace.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    The Govt will not allow a vote on the vote and bugger Bercow. So she’s at least doing something right.
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

€1.4 for much of 2015
    The exchange rate is a journey not a destination.

Labour members outside of the hard brexiters amongst them that voted for Art 50 must be feeling sick !
    Perhaps they should have thought a little harder - I must say I was amazed with the amount of votes Art 50 received.
  • Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Fear of getting worse.
    I repeat the question.

Thanks.

There are slim pickings. But it is time for someone else to be thrown in front of the Brexit juggernaut.

Despite being wildly unsuitable in many ways, I think the least bad choice is probably Michael Gove. He is both committed to Brexit and willing to compromise in the country's interest. Since he seems to be the only person occupying that position in the Venn diagram, I think it has to be him.
  • Mr. Gate, I hope there's no difficulty for you. Some months ago I recall a number of drugs firms committing to ensuring there was no such problem (and I imagine they said much the same in the other direction).
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    May's real problem is people distrust the EU - even some Remainers. So unless a deal is nailed down, they'll assume the worst. Anyway, as Mr T says, it's getting boring. Wake me up when we're out, or the real fascists succeed in getting a second referendum.
  • This government is a complete disgrace. They've wasted two years and now normal people like myself are anxious about our future. There's no guarantee I will be able to get my medicine from Denmark or Netherlands past March next year. Disgrace.

Don’t worry. There’s a pro Remain majority in the Commons.

They’ll vote to revoke a50 if No Deal looks likely.

Floater said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

They are all shocking.
    With mine, they do not bother counting the votes - a set of scales is sufficient :D
    This guy is currently a councillor.

He works tirelessly for people in the area including doing several things for my family.

If more politicians were like him they would be held in higher regard.

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Fear of getting worse.
    I repeat the question.

Thanks.

There are slim pickings. But it is time for someone else to be thrown in front of the Brexit juggernaut.

Despite being wildly unsuitable in many ways, I think the least bad choice is probably Michael Gove. He is both committed to Brexit and willing to compromise in the country's interest. Since he seems to be the only person occupying that position in the Venn diagram, I think it has to be him.
    What happened to the circle around those who aren't tits or shits?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Is he the only Tory politician hated by more of his peers than May (on the assumption that Bercow is ineligible...) ?

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Fear of getting worse.
    I repeat the question.

Thanks.

He also has the same IQ as most of the other candidates combined.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Anyway, for each day this drags on the likelihood of either Hard Brexit or a political realignment seems to increase. If it's the former then the Brexiteers clearly get what they want; the latter, and we'll likely end up either with a Brexit Government now, or a Brexit Opposition now and a Brexit Government later.

Regardless, despite all the caterwauling about the 'People's Vote' and mass demos waving EU flags and the majority of the current Parliament being horrified at the prospect of No Deal, is a final rupture with the EU merely a matter of time?
  • JohnO said:

The Govt will not allow a vote on the vote and bugger Bercow. So she’s at least doing something right.

She’s right.

That odious former Monday Club member deserves to be put in his place.
  • TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Fear of getting worse.
    I repeat the question.

Thanks.

I understand Gove as a suggestion - but does he resolve anything?

Could he get a deal - or optically get a deal at least - that wins the vote?
    May going to ignore speakers request for a vote on not having the vote .........

This government is a complete disgrace. They've wasted two years and now normal people like myself are anxious about our future. There's no guarantee I will be able to get my medicine from Denmark or Netherlands past March next year. Disgrace.

Doesn't it require primary legislation ?
  • This government is a complete disgrace. They've wasted two years and now normal people like myself are anxious about our future. There's no guarantee I will be able to get my medicine from Denmark or Netherlands past March next year. Disgrace.

It'll need to be legislation, surely?
    TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

€1.4 for much of 2015
    The exchange rate is a journey not a destination.

A journey back to €1.4 would be really good.
  • IanB2 said:

What happened to the circle around those who aren't tits or shits?
    This is the Conservative party we're talking about.
    Scott_P said:

Is he the only Tory politician hated by more of his peers than May (on the assumption that Bercow is ineligible...) ?
    Likeability is only a nice-to-have in these desperate times.
    TGOHF said:

That may not be an advantage.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited December 2018

Good afternoon.

Well, turns out that May can put off the meaningful vote, and she has decided to dig her heels in after all. Does anyone know why?

Insofar as I can see, there are only two explanations:

(a) a desperate attempt to cling to power, for its own sake, for as long as possible
    (b) it's all part of a plan of unparalleled political genius, which will end in her somehow getting her deal onto the statute book without destroying her own party and provoking the DUP to bring down her Government

Or is there something I'm missing here?

I think it is A from your choice. She is trying to correlate her survival to the National Interest in getting the deal through. It is pretty transparent as a strategy and MPs can see it for what it is clinging on to power. I am vexed on this deal as the deal is obviously better than No Deal, however the May Deal is less good than the current Deal: continuing membership of the EU.
This discussion has been closed.