Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Make of these Tweets what you will – but certainly lots of rum

Comments

• Options
    eek said:
    Oh put in the letters or don’t put in the letters. This is getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It doesn't make the blindest bit of difference whom the Prime Minister is if no approach to Brexit can command a majority in the House of Commons.

By which I mean, of course, an approach that a majority is willing actually to vote for, rather than to mutter about.

Either one is found or No Deal happens by default next March. All else is noise.

Indeed. Some other Tory, Corbyn, whoever, these are minor issues, the big problem is getting something, anything, through, and yet Tories are too busy sorting out their leadership campaigns and Corbyn is only after a GE.
    And every day is another day nearer to March 29th.
    Then I have a solution - Parliament legislates to move us to the Julian Calendar, buying us another 2 weeks of time.
    Sadly, Exit under the Treaty is set by reference to the time in Brussels, which is why it's 11PM at the moment.
    If that's the only flaw in my suggestion then I still count it as a good idea, albeit not viable!
  • Options

eek said:
    Oh put in the letters or don’t put in the letters. This is getting ridiculous.
    I hope someone has sent in a letter to Brady saying "I'm not calling for a vote of no confidence, though I don't intend to back the PM if there is one, I just wanted to put on record that my colleagues who have been leaking and moaning and threatening and arguing about letters for months are a bunch of twats"
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

Midlands Today are currently reporting on black holes. An interesting definition of local news.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Can you imagine modern day Tories trying to assassinate Julius Caesar? Shakespeare's play would have 131 acts and JC would probably survive.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Can you imagine modern day Tories trying to assassinate Julius Caesar? Shakespeare's play would have 131 acts and JC would probably survive.

Michael Gove as Marcus Brutus. Jacob Ress-Mogg as Gaius Cassius Longinus.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162

Corbyn wants to sit on his hands and wait to push for an election after No Deal has happened. Then he doesn't have to take responsibility for attempting to force through a second referendum, he's rid of the EU, and (with any luck, as he would see it) an accumulation of the Tories' manifest incompetence and their failure to prepare for No Deal could well mean that the country is struggling economically and up in arms about it.

For both May and Corbyn there is nothing to lose from simply allowing the clock to run down. He gets what he wants; God alone knows what she's up to, but the one thing she seems least disposed to do is pack her bags and go back to Maidenhead. And they're being allowed to get away with it because MPs are unwilling or unable to intervene.

If this parliament with these leaders (or for the sake of argument Gove instead of May) ends up with a last chance saloon choice in March 2019 between this deal and no deal, which way do they jump IYO?
  • Options
    Or you could put in a letter saying 'Dear Graham, I hope you're keeping well. Have a good Xmas'.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I cant recall having loathed parliamentarians as much, possibly since the expenses scandal. What is going on is a disgrace, on all sides.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

You have to say if labour were led by Starmer backing a second referendum they would be very close to power

Corbyn is a disaster for labour

If Labour was led by anyone except their front bench they would be very close to power...
    Do you not think they are very close to power *now*?

(Though I agree a competent leader could be doing better, but having Labour on 40%, a historically high vote share, is not bad for a leader as shit at leading as Corbyn)
    it is quite possible that under a different Labour leader, the Tories would have a stonking majority.
    With respect I think you need to lie down in a darkened room
    Jezza achieved the highest Labour vote share in a long while in his last GE. Whatever else he is, he is a formidable campaigner.
    Theresa May achieved the highest conservative vote share in a long while (35 years) in her last GE. Whatever else she is, she is not a formidable campaigner.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kinabalu said:

Corbyn wants to sit on his hands and wait to push for an election after No Deal has happened. Then he doesn't have to take responsibility for attempting to force through a second referendum, he's rid of the EU, and (with any luck, as he would see it) an accumulation of the Tories' manifest incompetence and their failure to prepare for No Deal could well mean that the country is struggling economically and up in arms about it.

For both May and Corbyn there is nothing to lose from simply allowing the clock to run down. He gets what he wants; God alone knows what she's up to, but the one thing she seems least disposed to do is pack her bags and go back to Maidenhead. And they're being allowed to get away with it because MPs are unwilling or unable to intervene.

If this parliament with these leaders (or for the sake of argument Gove instead of May) ends up with a last chance saloon choice in March 2019 between this deal and no deal, which way do they jump IYO?
    No deal. Probably. Still of the opinion that this is going to end either in Hard Brexit or a political realignment, and the forces acting against the latter are arguably greater than those acting against the former.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Title of May’s memoirs?

“What the fuck was I thinking?”
  • Options
    Talking of MPs, wasn't the Fiona Onasanya retrial supposed to start today? And what happened in the Craig Mackinlay case? I thought the jury were considering their verdict at least a week ago?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    SeanT said:

ON topic, I have just been commissioned to visit Uruguay, by the Times. No idea what it's like. Hear vaguely nice things. Has anyone been?

Also, I have a commission to go to Nepal, but I can choose the time. Will it be too cold in February? Too rainy in April? Or what? I've not been there, either.

Many thanks to anyone who knows. Google is confused.

Hey. Went to Nepal one Easter. So April-ish. Wasn't overly rainy, but lovely temperature. Like a middling Summer day in England. Fascinating country. Highly recommended. History, jungle, lakes. Surrounded by the high Himalaya of course.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

ON topic, I have just been commissioned to visit Uruguay, by the Times. No idea what it's like. Hear vaguely nice things. Has anyone been?

Also, I have a commission to go to Nepal, but I can choose the time. Will it be too cold in February? Too rainy in April? Or what? I've not been there, either.

On Nepal, depends where you’re going. In April-May in the south it’ll be baking hot. Further north, much more pleasant. Rains will hit in the summer months through to very early autumn. Winter in the south will be nice, in the north it’ll be cold.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    John_M said:

JC? Jemery Corbyn? Jesus Christ!!
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    SeanT said:

On Nepal depends how high you want to go. Southern Nepal is low and hot, Elephant and Tiger country. Obs up high is cold in winter. From memory I went Sept for 4 weeks and did the Jungle south, Anapurna in the west, Kathmandu and then the Himalayas. I did not do Everest base camp as I was told it was a cold barren rubbish dump. I did get close to Everest for some really good views.
    It was a great place. Especially the riots where the burnt tyres and made the place look like a Vietnam war film.
  • Options

Talking of MPs, wasn't the Fiona Onasanya retrial supposed to start today? And what happened in the Craig Mackinlay case? I thought the jury were considering their verdict at least a week ago?

Still considering, remember there's multiple defendants and charges which leads to delays.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    SeanT said:

How is that ON topic?

I've not been to Uruguay, but it's often been seen as a good place. Almost a Uruguay club - if you like it you don't talk about it.

Nepal - just wonderful, but don't be tempted to do anything other than be basic if in the mountains. Stay there for a bit and you'll find your inner hippy - he turns out to be ok. My travelers tip is that shacks in the mountains that can't apparently cook much more that dhal bhaat do sometimes offer egg and chips (I've no idea how).

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018

Still considering, remember there's multiple defendants and charges which leads to delays.
    Even so, it's almost a week now.

Maybe they've been distracted by all the Brexit shenanigans!
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    SeanT said:

Not sure if your editor will wait ten months, but I did Everest base camp in Oct/Nov. Shirt sleeves in the hills during the day, bastard cold at night. Always warm that time of year down in Kathmandu. The altitude is at least as important as the season.
  • Options
    I'm voting Theresa May.

I think she's been poor, but way out ahead of everyone else in this. The DUP are the only other contenders in the sense stakes.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Peter Bone. A Senior Tory in his own mind.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Off Topic, These tweets make me think that our MPs want to be Bill Murray or Punxatawny Phil...

Maggie was "deposed" whilst on the continent. Plus ca change...?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

It's the wealthiest and most stable country in south and central America by a large margin. A lot of German and Italian expats live there.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162

No deal. Probably. Still of the opinion that this is going to end either in Hard Brexit or a political realignment, and the forces acting against the latter are arguably greater than those acting against the former.

Interesting. I have consistently thought deal (this or tinkered with a bit) eventually gets through due to the clear absurdity of a 2nd ref, the near impossibility of a Q1 2019 GE with this mix of numbers and agendas, and the genuine aversion to no deal of most MPs.

I am losing confidence in that view whilst still as we speak holding on to it.

This really is a humdinger of a logic puzzle. It's a thing of beauty.

Maybe ditch May, install Gove, pivot to (temporary) Norway plus, somehow finesse that through, either on time or with an art 50 extension.

What about that. If we pop that one on the plate will the cats have a nibble?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

How is that ON topic?

I've not been to Uruguay, but it's often been seen as a good place. Almost a Uruguay club - if you like it you don't talk about it.

Nepal - just wonderful, but don't be tempted to do anything other than be basic if in the mountains. Stay there for a bit and you'll find your inner hippy - he turns out to be ok. My travelers tip is that shacks in the mountains that can't apparently cook much more that dhal bhaat do sometimes offer egg and chips (I've no idea how).

I was joking about being on topic.

But, thanks to everyone for the advice. I reckon March for Nepal could be good, best of both worlds.
    No shit!

I may possibly have been asking the question rhetorically and therefore playing your game. If you wish to derail your trainset of amusement then that's up to you. A shame that Godot no longer posts.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Title of May’s memoirs?

“What the fuck was I thinking?”

"Be careful what you wish for" would seem apt.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kinabalu said:

Interesting. I have consistently thought deal (this or tinkered with a bit) eventually gets through due to the clear absurdity of a 2nd ref, the near impossibility of a Q1 2019 GE with this mix of numbers and agendas, and the genuine aversion to no deal of most MPs.

Maybe ditch May, install Gove, pivot to (temporary) Norway plus, somehow finesse that through, either on time or with an art 50 extension.

Stay in and immediately start preparations for hard Brexit and trigger it as soon as we're ready?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,698
    SeanT said:

The capital of Uruguay is Montevideo. Montevideo has a mild humid subtropical climate. It has cool winters (June to September), hot summers (December to March) and volatile springs (October and November). Rainfall is regular and evenly spread throughout the year.

The cost of living there is roughly equivalent to the UK, although with the pound shitting itself you won't get as much as you'd think. IIRC much of your income is in Euros, so that might go further.

In terms of crime it isn't great, as pickpocketing and low-grade tourist harassment is a thing and things can get rather gun-ny. But stick to the posh tourist bits and you should be OK.

Randomly dragging-and-dropping on Google Maps makes me think Montevideo is a bit run-down: think of Spain before they tidied it up. The architecture looks pretty Spanish: I think it works quite well in the summer tho' the graffiti spoils things. It has that whole let's-suspend-every-wire-on-earth-from-poles thing going on, which always sets my teeth on edge ("You can bury them in pipes, y'know!")

The cars seem OK and up to European standards, though a couple of years behind-the-curve.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Uruguay&displayCurrency=GBP
    https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=21623
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montevideo
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Here's a thing. People bang on about Leavers telling lies during the referendum. And this is fair, they did tell plenty of lies. Which should be condemned.

And yet, I am still waiting to hear one single europhile express remorse for all the enormous and tragic lies that led to Brexit, over the decades leading up to 2016.

Blair, Heseltine, Cameron, Clegg, Major, Clarke, Brown, etc etc: they are all responsible, for all those broken promises, all those offered then denied referendums. All those lies about "no sovereignty has been lost". These are the lies which, in the end, led to the outrage of Brexit.

Yet no one EVER says a simple SORRY.

Similar to how all the people who predicted a new Ice Age in the 1970s didn't apologise for getting it wrong.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,698
    I don't recall her husband knifing Bobby Ewing in the back as he stepped out of the shower.
  • Options
    I thought Uruguay was a small country but in fact it's 35% larger in area than England.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Here's a thing. People bang on about Leavers telling lies during the referendum. And this is fair, they did tell plenty of lies. Which should be condemned.

And yet, I am still waiting to hear one single europhile express remorse for all the enormous and tragic lies that led to Brexit, over the decades leading up to 2016.

Blair, Heseltine, Cameron, Clegg, Major, Clarke, Brown, etc etc: they are all responsible, for all those broken promises, all those offered then denied referendums. All those lies about "no sovereignty has been lost". These are the lies which, in the end, led to the outrage of Brexit.

Yet no one EVER says a simple SORRY.

Similar to how all the people who predicted a new Ice Age in the 1970s didn't apologise for getting it wrong.
    It was a bit cold today!
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Does anyone care anymore ! The UK has cemented its place as the laughing stock of Europe . Just throw in a leadership challenge where a clueless bunch of Tory nutjobs can parade around delivering their anti EU bile to the Empire 2 Membership and the descent from respected nation to banana republic is complete !

• Options
    Hague now up on next PM market.

Get it while it's hot!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Omnium said:

I'm voting Theresa May.

I think she's been poor, but way out ahead of everyone else in this. The DUP are the only other contenders in the sense stakes.
    Indeed not one contender has any alternative plan that will get a Deal from the EU without the backstop.

Indeed if May goes there is a strong possibility the ERG will back a No Deal contender like Raab, Davis or Boris or McVey who then wins the membership and then it is not impossible Soubry, Wollaston, Grieve, Clarke, Morgan arc would rather no confidence the Government than accept No Deal and we end up with a Corbyn minority government and permanent Customs Union and maybe permanent Single Market too
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    kinabalu said:

Short answer: God alone knows. One cannot be certain of anything.

Long answer: I don't buy it. Ultra-soft Brexit might just happen if it doesn't shake the Conservative Party apart - but that's a big if, and there's more than just the outrage of the Hard Brexit MPs to consider here. Most of the party membership are Leavers, and so are most Conservative voters. The majority in the Parliamentary party who might be willing to countenance a Norwayesque solution must realise that they risk turning round after they've done it to discover that most of their support in the country has melted away?

That, and there's nothing to stop Labour from claiming that, as with the May deal, it's awful and they could still do better if they got a turn at trying - even with the clock standing at five minutes to midnight - and the SNP and smaller opposition parties won't hand Labour a stick to beat them with by bailing the Conservatives out under such circumstances.

Therefore, even a tiny little Tory rebellion would be enough to stop a revised deal getting through. The reality is that, even if the party didn't split, there'd probably be dozens of rebels (and no guarantee that the DUP wouldn't vote against it, either.)

The mathematics appear to indicate that a negotiated resolution can only be put through Parliament if the frightened majorities on the back benches bury their political differences, sling out the Government and vote themselves in as its replacement. Without both a Parliamentary majority and a sympathetic Prime Minister, they can't do anything to halt the inevitable. The A50 notice can't be revoked and the Withdrawal Act can't be repealed.

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Also, has Graham Brady decided to check his pigeon hole yet?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,197
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

The capital of Uruguay is Montevideo. Montevideo has a mild humid subtropical climate. It has cool winters (June to September), hot summers (December to March) and volatile springs (October and November). Rainfall is regular and evenly spread throughout the year.

The cost of living there is roughly equivalent to the UK, although with the pound shitting itself you won't get as much as you'd think. IIRC much of your income is in Euros, so that might go further.

In terms of crime it isn't great, as pickpocketing and low-grade tourist harassment is a thing and things can get rather gun-ny. But stick to the posh tourist bits and you should be OK.

Randomly dragging-and-dropping on Google Maps makes me think Montevideo is a bit run-down: think of Spain before they tidied it up. The architecture looks pretty Spanish: I think it works quite well in the summer tho' the graffiti spoils things. It has that whole let's-suspend-every-wire-on-earth-from-poles thing going on, which always sets my teeth on edge ("You can bury them in pipes, y'know!")

The cars seem OK and up to European standards, though a couple of years behind-the-curve.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Uruguay&displayCurrency=GBP
    Interesting. Bit of a shame about the crime. I had the impression that Uruguay was one of the very few Latin American countries with European levels of crime (i.e. low). Like, say, Chile.

Crime is one of the most offputting aspects of South America (and it makes Chile even more desirable for being comparatively safe). Mexico is turning into a toilet. Ecuador, I hear, is even worse. Brazil is apparently a nightmare.

https://twitter.com/conradhackett/status/1071939229352161280
    Blimey. That’s one off the bucket list.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

Interesting. Bit of a shame about the crime. I had the impression that Uruguay was one of the very few Latin American countries with European levels of crime (i.e. low). Like, say, Chile.

Crime is one of the most offputting aspects of South America (and it makes Chile even more desirable for being comparatively safe). Mexico is turning into a toilet. Ecuador, I hear, is even worse. Brazil is apparently a nightmare.

twitter.com/conradhackett/status/1071939229352161280
    And then you think about Central America.....Which countries there are still ok, Costa Rica? Panama has gone downhill in terms of violent crime. You have 1000s fleeing to try and get to American from many other central American countries.

And most of the rest, Latin America, I mean a million people have fled Venezuela to Columbia...Columbia...to get away from the shit show there.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2018
    Chameleon said:

Also, has Graham Brady decided to check his pigeon hole yet?

He's taken an extended cruise round the Pacific, in a rowing boat, and is expected back home in March.
  • Options
    Shooting in Strasbourg being reported.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

I have plenty of friends with horror stories from Sao Paolo and Rio. You go a 100 metres down the wrong street and you get a gun to your head.
    When I was there 10 years ago the advice was stay on the beach and the road that runs along the beach, but do not go down any of the side streets.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183
    What is the point of a Tory leadership election?

What is the new leader going to do? Renegotiate? Really?? The EU will likely tell them to take a running jump. The current WA and political declaration has taken 18 months. Why would a new one be negotiated, agreed and voted on in, what, 2-3 weeks?

Ask for an extension? To do what? A referendum?

Revoke Article 50? Possibly but not if some mad Leaver wins, which seems all too likely.

So what is the point? Or is this just self-indulgent wankery by the Tories to prove - beyond all reasonable doubt to even the dimmest of us - that they are currently unfit for office?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Cyclefree said:

What is the new leader going to do? Renegotiate? Really?? The EU will likely tell them to take a running jump. The current WA and political declaration has taken 18 months. Why would a new one be negotiated, agreed and voted on in, what, 2-3 weeks?

Revoke Article 50? Possibly but not if some mad Leaver wins, which seems all too likely.

So what is the point? Or is this just self-indulgent wankery by the Tories to prove - beyond all reasonable doubt to even the dimmest of us - that they are currently unfit for office?

shouldnt that question be - what is the point of the Tories ?
  • Options

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

And then you think about Central America.....Which countries there are still ok, Costa Rica? Panama has gone downhill in terms of violent crime. You have 1000s fleeing to try and get to American from many other central American countries.

And most of the rest, Latin America, I mean a million people have fled Venezuela to Columbia...Columbia...to get away from the shit show there.
    Is Venezuela not supposed to be an inspiration for us, showing us the way in how an economy should share the wealth, or something?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is Venezuela not supposed to be an inspiration for us, showing us the way in how an economy should share the wealth, or something?

Can't resist any longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FbWsINjpRY

(Sorry.)
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

<

My wife has Colombian students from time to time and they say that the country as a whole is a lot safer now than it was a few years ago. There are certainly still plenty of no-go areas but touristy bits like Cartagena are pretty safe.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

The

I have plenty of friends with horror stories from Sao Paolo and Rio. You go a 100 metres down the wrong street and you get a gun to your head.
    When I was there 10 years ago the advice was stay on the beach and the road that runs along the beach, but do not go down any of the side streets.
    Friends of mine were making a short movie about Brazilian street football, in the Rio slums, and they had to go everywhere with about 10 armed guards. Everywhere.

Even then, when they were on their own at night, they got into horrible trouble, just exiting the hotel to find a bar.
    In South America and I am a fan, as you say Chile, but Argentina and Peru are fine, The Inca Trail should be on every persons list.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    So the country’s future is going to be dictated by the Tory Membership!

The problem all along is the negotiations were being conducted to just manage the Tory party . This isn’t a general election where 5 years later you can change course .

Unless a deal can get cross party support the UK is utterly screwed . I hope younger people remember who has driven the country to this point and vote accordingly l

• Options
    edited December 2018
    DavidL said:

Absolutely. We all aspire to live in a place where workers get 10 tyres as redundancy payoff as worth far more than cash, a hotdog from a street vendor costs a months wages and people use bank notes to make handbags because the notes are so worthless.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

You have to say if labour were led by Starmer backing a second referendum they would be very close to power

Well, hardly.

The chaos is on the government benches.
    Your statement does not contradict the one you've quoted. The government is a shambles, it doesn't mean that Labour would not be doing better if led by Starmer or that Corbyn is not a disaster. He might not be one, but that the government benches are in chaos has no bearing on whether he is or not.
    -If Starmer attacks, everything will be OK.
    -Mein Fuhrer.... Starmer...
    -Starmer didn't have enough Corbynistas! The attack didn't take place!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The only point I can see now of the Tories is to trash the economy in a no-deal Brexit and allow Comrade Corbyn to win a landslide majority in the next election, which will probably be in a few months time.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,636
    Just had a not particularly pleasant thought:

Say Parliament shambles on until early-February without resolving Brexit and then a VoNC held and is lost. Assuming no one else can win a VoC, a GE is called 14 days later - with a 7-week lead time under FTPA - for Thursday 4th April.

In such a situation, the HoC is not sitting, no one can agree a WA or revoke A50 and the clock will simply run out on Brexit during the GE campaign, pitching us into a No Deal catastophe.

For the ERG fruitcakes there is every incentive to stall things until the beginning of February then support Labour on a VoNC.

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I'm voting Theresa May.

Indeed not one contender has any alternative plan that will get a Deal from the EU without the backstop.

Indeed if May goes there is a strong possibility the ERG will back a No Deal contender like Raab, Davis or Boris or McVey who then wins the membership and then it is not impossible Soubry, Wollaston, Grieve, Clarke, Morgan arc would rather no confidence the Government than accept No Deal and we end up with a Corbyn minority government and permanent Customs Union and maybe permanent Single Market too
    Good. Then perhaps we can get back into the EU properly and forget about this whole crazy idea, cooked up by a set of rather nasty people who saw a chance to make a LOT of money by a massive cheat on their countrymen.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910

For the ERG fruitcakes there is every incentive to stall things until the beginning of February then support Labour on a VoNC.

Am I missing something?

The ERG hate Corbyn just as much as the EU !
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

The

Friends of mine were making a short movie about Brazilian street football, in the Rio slums, and they had to go everywhere with about 10 armed guards. Everywhere.

Even then, when they were on their own at night, they got into horrible trouble, just exiting the hotel to find a bar.
    It will be interesting to see if the hard line guy they have just elected actually does manage to get a handle on it, or spends his time banging on about how he doesn't like the gays etc.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I'm voting Theresa May.

Good. Then perhaps we can get back into the EU properly and forget about this whole crazy idea, cooked up by a set of rather nasty people who saw a chance to make a LOT of money by a massive cheat on their countrymen.
    we dont often get to discuss Mandelson and Brown these days
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Well, hardly.

Your statement does not contradict the one you've quoted. The government is a shambles, it doesn't mean that Labour would not be doing better if led by Starmer or that Corbyn is not a disaster. He might not be one, but that the government benches are in chaos has no bearing on whether he is or not.
    Are you on drugs? Neither witty nor enlightening.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,096
    SeanT said:

I recall there was a fast ferry (couple of hours) between Montevideo and Buenos Aires, if you want a bit of a diversion.....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something?

No, don't exaggerate.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253

Say Parliament shambles on until early-February without resolving Brexit and then a VoNC held and is lost. Assuming no one else can win a VoC, a GE is called 14 days later - with a 7-week lead time under FTPA - for Thursday 4th April.

In such a situation, the HoC is not sitting, no one can agree a WA or revoke A50 and the clock will simply run out on Brexit during the GE campaign, pitching us into a No Deal catastophe.

Am I missing something?

Labour MPs are stupid, but not that stupid.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    edited December 2018

Am I missing something?

Presumably the sitting PM, who would remain PM even after parliament was dissolved, would request an Article 50 extension for the duration of the election campaign. They shouldn't need parliamentary approval to do this. The EU side would likely agree to this, unless a British person had pissed off the Prime Minister of Estonia or whatever.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something?

Best hope now is for TM to stay as PM, for her deal to be voted down asap; and then to let parliament offer a plan B (and the only thing that will likely give clarity here is almost certainly a referendum). Not sure any other outcomes are good ones (at least for the UK economy....)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited December 2018
    Cyclefree said:

I think that the point is that Theresa May is unwilling, or unable, to abandon the deal and choose a new course of action, whether that be Remaining or Leaving (without a deal).

Hopefully a new leader would be able to make that choice.

Sometimes I think it is better to make the wrong choice, with conviction, rather than to dither and delay and make no choice at all.

To a certain extent I would prefer for us to do anything as long as we could just start doing it and bring an end to all this uncertainty.
  • Options
    You’ll never walk alone at Annfield on a CL night is seriously into Hakka territory for intimidation.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something?

True, but they seem to be willing to trash their party for the sake of the 'greater goal'. They'll reason they can defeat Labour at a future election; they may never get another chance for total Brexit.
  • Options

The re-trial did start today. Not much about it in the news though.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

Am I missing something?

A50 would surely be extended to beyond the election campaign. That wouldn't need Parliament to be sitting.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The point is simple. To be in charge. To dole out favours and patronage to idolising sycophants and to salve the inadequacy of the candidate in charge.
    Cyclefree said:

Oh! I am sorry - you thought that the purpose of being the next Leader was to do the best for the country? The reality appears to be that they do not give a flying f*** about the country, only about themselves and their obsessions.

I think my cynicism glands are inflamed :(
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    DavidL said:

You’ll never walk alone at Annfield on a CL night is seriously into Hakka territory for intimidation.

Is our very own poncy boots TSE there this evening (among the prawn sandwich brigade of course).?
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I'm voting Theresa May.

We've never been in the EU properly.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The re-trial did start today. Not much about it in the news though.
    Still unable to find that mystery Russian?
  • Options
    matt said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Well, hardly.

Are you on drugs? Neither witty nor enlightening.
    It was witty.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    Evening all :)

Another extraordinary political day.

Could Theresa May yet pull an ace from the deck and get enough of a concession from the EU to save her Deal or are the EU leaders simply patting her head and saying the right things while changing nothing and waiting for her to fall?

Listening to Rutte, Merkel and even Tusk, May is being humiliated by kindness. She is charging round trying to change a WA which we are told can't be renegotiated, seeking clarification of something clearly stated within the WA. The EU are indulging this final Act in the drama but the audience at home is restless bordering on mutinous.

The irony of course is the fall of the Deal saves her Government - the DUP will be happy and they don't want a change in Government. IF the Deal were to pass, the opposition parties (with the DUP) have enough votes to No Confidence the Government.

The other problem though is if May falls and the WA falls with her, there is nothing left but to either unilaterally revoke A50 which as others have stated would have calamitous political consequences for the Conservatives or proceed to as orderly a No Deal as can be achieved in the next three months and hope the damage and dislocation can and will be minimised come 29/3/19.

Yet as Cyclefree so adroitly opines, what would a change of Conservative leader achieve? The new leader would face the same dilemma as May so the leadership election becomes in effect the decision-making process, the unilateral revocation of A50 versus No Deal? Is there a Conservative who would be prepared to stand up and advocate revoking A50 at this stage?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Absolutely. We all aspire to live in a place where workers get 10 tyres as redundancy payoff as worth far more than cash, a hotdog from a street vendor costs a months wages and people use bank notes to make handbags because the notes are so worthless.
    I’m starting to wonder if Corbyn has this quite right.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

So the country’s future is going to be dictated by the Tory Membership!

The problem all along is the negotiations were being conducted to just manage the Tory party . This isn’t a general election where 5 years later you can change course .

Unless a deal can get cross party support the UK is utterly screwed . I hope younger people remember who has driven the country to this point and vote accordingly l

Parliamentarians on both sides of the House - not all of them, but a majority - are collectively responsible for this. They voted for a referendum they didn't believe in, containing a result that they thought damaging and which they had no desire to see happen, nor any real intention of implementing.

The Tory and Labour Remainers can command a Parliamentary majority if they work together, which means they have the power to do as they will, and correct what they would (or at least ought to) see as their earlier folly. If they don't do it then they're all culpable for what follows.
  • Options
    I've had an idea. At first I thought it was crazy ...
    Government sponsors these resolutions in following order:
    1. Revoke A50(permanently)
    2. Second referendum (deal versus no deal)
    3. Second referendum (2 part including rejoin)
    4. Deal

They are put repeatedly until one gets a majority.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,359
    We're probably going to leave without a 'deal', which is by far the most sensible solution. If you think about it, a period of calm reflection is needed before any 'deals' are struck, be they with America, Australia, the EU or anywhere else.

No one is going to be making good decisions and negotiating with due rigour with the attitude of signing any old shite through, either because they're scared of life after Brexit, or trying to get 'quick wins' to vindicate their free trade Brexit visions.

As a country, we need to realise we're not made of glass and we are a viable unit in the world. That can't come until we have a period of just 'existing'.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I'm voting Theresa May.

The ERG are certainly playing with fire now, risking both BINO or EUref2 and Remain as well as a Corbyn premiership
  • Options

Am I missing something?

Presumably the sitting PM, who would remain PM even after parliament was dissolved, would request an Article 50 extension for the duration of the election campaign. The EU side would likely agree to this, unless a British person had pissed off the Prime Minister of Estonia or whatever.
    I suppose the sitting PM could revoke A50 without parliament, on the basis that the next parliament could re-invoke it if so minded. None of the EU27 can prevent a revocation according to the ECJ.

But if that sitting PM was a stubborn TMay (unlikely, I grant) committed to not revoking A50, there would appear to be no power in the land that could force her to do it.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem like he has any decent PR people around him...

Macron’s appeal to French from behind gold desk leaves gilets jaunes unimpressed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/11/macron-president-of-the-rich-speech-elysee-palace-gilets-jaunes
  • Options

SeanT said:

I recall there was a fast ferry (couple of hours) between Montevideo and Buenos Aires, if you want a bit of a diversion.....
    Was that the Graf Spey? :D
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

AndyJS said:

Good evening. Has anything happened today in the world of British politics?

SNAFU
    FUBAR
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

AndyJS said:

Good evening. Has anything happened today in the world of British politics?

SNAFU
    FUBAR
  • Options

DavidL said:

Is our very own poncy boots TSE there this evening (among the prawn sandwich brigade of course).?
    Don’t know. Work has been interfering with PB something awful at the moment.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

Am I missing something?

A50 would surely be extended to beyond the election campaign. That wouldn't need Parliament to be sitting.
    A50 can allow our end of membership to be postponed from the point of view of the EU, its law and international law, but in terms of domestic UK law, the EU Withdrawal Act states the UK ceases to be a member of the EU on 30 March 2019, and that does require primary legislation to change. Unless one of the many Henry VIII clauses enacted by this and previous governments could somehow be brought into play?
  • Options

Doesn't seem like he has any decent PR people around him...

Macron’s appeal to French from behind gold desk leaves gilets jaunes unimpressed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/11/macron-president-of-the-rich-speech-elysee-palace-gilets-jaunes

il est foutu
This discussion has been closed.