Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. May fights on – so what now?

Comments

• Options
    Donny43 said:

GIN1138 said:

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

In Para 3 the EU rip out reassurance that Backstop is "not a desirable outcome for the Union" and add a bit on the 'integrity of the single market'.

Para 4 the add is designed to remind UK that trust cuts both ways, as does this deal.

Para 5 was controversial part even before the night began (the Irish hated it). It promised to examine whether "any further reassurance can be provided". In the final communique it was ripped out completely and replaced with a pledge to ramp up no-deal preps.

May is now in a worse position than before she started negotiating.

lol

The EU don't actually want a deal, do they?
    They think we are heading towards Remain and are doing everything they can to help us on our way.
    How on earth can we remain in an organisation that treats us this way?
    Good question. Anyone? Anyone?
    I think we just have to revoke Article 50 in accordance with our national constitutional requirements.
    It would be the best way
    We can't be far off one of the sane Leavers calling for A50 revocation. Come back with a serious 10 to 15 year Canada via Norway plan to put in the Tory 2022 manifesto giving the electorate a double or even triple lock in 2027 and 2032 on whether it wants to proceed to the next stage. It's probably now the best way to save Brexit.
    If A50 is revoked now, that's it for ever. If leaving now is too difficult, how can it be easier after 10 or 20 years more integration?
    Well it wouldn't be any easier. You could only get 3.8% against the Posh Boys and now you are up against the Underwoods. And Trump won't last for ever. If you think this is hard wait till we get a remotely normal US State Department back to act as the other part of a vice with the Franco,- German deep state. But it's a judgement call you need to make about a Brexit reset where Brexiter remains a hypothetical you can campaign for or whether you charge further into the current quagmire.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

A friend just texted me the answer for Brexit. A workable outcome that satisfies Remainers and Brexiteers alike. It was brilliant. A way out of this hell in 140 chars.

Sadly I deleted it by accident.

UK hit by an asteroid?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    EU announced tonight Bits to pay 7EUR for travel visa last three years. Great negotiating TM.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

EUCO have given May an even more brutal rebuff than at Salzburg.

As predicted, the draft addendum has been salami sliced till there's nothing left. I think EUCO are trying to send May a message: "WHICH PART OF THE DEAL IS FINAL DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?"

So even the EU affirm the backstop is an insurance only and they intend to start work on an Agreement in 2020, all the rest is just petty party politics games, there is nothing May can do that will get ERG hardliners behind the Deal, if she is to get it through it will be with Labour MPs in Leave seats
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

EU announced tonight Bits to pay 7EUR for travel visa last three years. Great negotiating TM.

That will not even cover admin costs - If that's true it just shows the petty crap they come out with.
  • Options

Irrelevant - we wont leave now
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    HYUFD said:

As predicted, the draft addendum has been salami sliced till there's nothing left. I think EUCO are trying to send May a message: "WHICH PART OF THE DEAL IS FINAL DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?"

So even the EU affirm the backstop is an insurance only and they intend to start work on an Agreement in 2020, all the rest is just petty party politics games, there is nothing May can do that will get ERG hardliners behind the Deal, if she is to get it through it will be with Labour MPs in Leave seats
    Well yes, we could all have told her that. But this communique actually puts her into a worse position than she started in. A remarkable achievement, even for her.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

How? No deal is default and parliament is deadlocked.
  • Options
    Floater said:

That will not even cover admin costs - If that's true it just shows the petty crap they come out with.
    https://twitter.com/NatashaBertaud/status/1073355658530078720?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1073356925369311234&ref_url=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/12/13/theresa-may-heads-brussels-seek-brexit-deal-concessions-winning/
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2018
    HYUFD said:

.....there is nothing May can do that will get ERG hardliners behind the Deal, if she is to get it through it will be with Labour MPs in Leave seats

Mogg has said he'll vote against WA even without the backstop. He's not for reasoning with - nothing short of a nuclear attack on Brussels will satisfy him.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

We both know no deal will be stopped
  • Options

I would be tempted to ask how it's possible for the same woman to get Salzburged by the exact same people, the exact same way, twice.

But, you know, Theresa May.

And the idiots in the tory party declined to remove her when they had the chance.

Lucky, lucky Corbyn.

Of course the rest of us are going to get the old "no lube" treatment.

Going to be a rough time ahead.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Jonathan said:

A friend just texted me the answer for Brexit. A workable outcome that satisfies Remainers and Brexiteers alike. It was brilliant. A way out of this hell in 140 chars.

UK hit by an asteroid?
    Europe hit by an asteroid. UK unharmed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Jonathan said:

Nuke the planet from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

.....there is nothing May can do that will get ERG hardliners behind the Deal, if she is to get it through it will be with Labour MPs in Leave seats

Mogg has said he'll vote against WTA even without the backstop. He's not for reasoning with - nothing short of a nuclear attack on Brussels will satisfy him.

I wouldn't put it past May, if she thinks it will keep her in office for another 24 hours.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Fraser Nelson on Newsnight: a growing number of cabinet ministers favour a general election in March next year.

They are aware that May would be the leader at that point right? As she has said she has no intention of leading them into a 2022 GE.

Maybe they have the kind of memory that makes a goldfish proud as to what happened last time she was on the stump.

It defies belief, it really does.
  • Options
    This is baffling.

Laura Kuenssberg (whose general reporting has been dismal throughout Brexit) now seems to think it's Juncker's job to be "helpful" to Theresa May.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1073355430884241409
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    Revoke A50 or a referendum
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    That last crossed out bit is killer isn't it? JRM's Christmas has just come early.

Interesting times! Night all.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Mogg has said he'll vote against WA even without the backstop. He's not for reasoning with - nothing short of a nuclear attack on Brussels will satisfy him.

I blame his governess. She should be barred from working with the children of important people ever again.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

UK hit by an asteroid?
    Europe hit by an asteroid. UK unharmed.
    :lol:

Fog in channel. Continent cut off.
  • Options
    Ivan Rodgers gave another speech tonight.
    Summary, the political class are really, really bad.
    Peoples vote lot are total fools.

https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2018/12/13/full-speech-sir-ivan-rogers-on-brexit/
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    A way will be found. Likely Article 50 being revoked or suspended. There is no way a Remain parliament and a Remain establishment is going to let No Deal happen. Simply no chance.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

That last crossed out bit is killer isn't it? JRM's Christmas has just come early.

Interesting times! Night all.

IKR. Last minute changed to communiques like this don't happen, unless people are trying to make a big point, in the sharpest possible fashion. In this case:

MRS MAY: NO MORE ASSURANCES, NO MORE RENEGOTIATIONS. WE ARE DONE HERE.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    Who will introduce these bills? May won’t. She can’t be moved in time.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    Amendment to the meaningful vote. TM consults cross party to negate ERG
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    What's to stop May moving from The Deal to revoking/suspending Article 50? 'I tried to get my deal through; it wasn't to be, so in the national interest we are tabling a vote to revoke/suspend while we go away and think again'.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    William Hague.

As interim PM.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    Amendment to the meaningful vote. TM consults cross party to negate ERG
    May’s strategy is brinkmanship. Let the clock run down and leave her deal as the only alternative and hope Labour fractures
  • Options
    Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, she has to go beyond the ERG
  • Options

I’m unsure what the EU reasoning for this is. There is a possibility that we will be asked in the near future whether we want to change our minds and associate with the EU again, I cannot fathom why they would think this would be a good idea.
    It's utterly standard practice if you've any front line experience of counselling/advice work with irrational , addicted, mentally ill or self harming clients. Most times you save people from themselves. But there are key moments where you brutally let folk experience the consequences of their actions. A night sleeping rough, a service ban or a few days without electricity can be useful at reaching the Metanoia point needed for people to move on. Of course statistically it kills or permanently damages a small minority of clients but to govern is to choose and it works in the vast majority of cases.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

We also know thanks to the Grieve amendment passing if May's Deal falls Parliament can also take over and propose EUref2 or Customs Union + Single Market etc
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    What's to stop May moving from The Deal to revoking/suspending Article 50? 'I tried to get my deal through; it wasn't to be, so in the national interest we are tabling a vote to revoke/suspend while we go away and think again'.
    Very unlikely. Not impossible. But very unlikely. She is not giving up her deal.
  • Options
    Oh FFS. They know what May's loony pals want. Cake, eating loads of it, masses oozing slices of it, which she can also keep.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    She hasn't tried to get her deal through yet. Although after this catastrophic, and by all reasonable accounts, final chance May will get to demand concessions from the EU, absolutely nothing else is to be gained from dragging this out another day.

Resume the Meaningful Vote business. On Tuesday, let the cards fall where they May.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    Until and unless the withdrawal act is repealed, she's bound by the procedure set out in it.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,626

John_M said:

I demand a peoples vote confirming that I was first.

Denied for failure to use an apostrophe in a People's Vote
    Peoples' vote surely.
    Depends whether the vote belongs to a people or multiple peoples.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    Very unlikely. Not impossible. But very unlikely. She is not giving up her deal.
    The deal has to be voted on and at that time the HOC will take control through amendments
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,374
    Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Mogg is in incompetent foiled assassin sulk mode.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    It would give her the perfect resignation moment as well: revokes/suspends Article 50 so that we remain in the EU going forward, then stands aside for the Conservative Party and the country to make its decisions without being under the A50 pressure. The last two years didn't happen. The ultmate cop-out but she'll probably be lauded by many.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Fraser Nelson on Newsnight: a growing number of cabinet ministers favour a general election in March next year.

It is going to have to come and in the new year TM should announce it and as labour would support it offf we go
    Strong and Stable II !!!!!

Total madness! :D
    The party has to rid itself of its UKIP base
    Doubt it. What's much more likely is that Remainers and Leavers are swept away in equal numbers...

For every Andrea Jenkyns losing their seat there will be an Amber Rudd...

In the the end the MP's left will still be split asunder and the membership will probably elect someone like JRM as LOTO.
    As long as Corbyn remains Labour leader there is very unlikely to be many Tory seats lost even if Corbyn becomes PM he will likely lack a majority
    And anyone who thinks a rainbow Coalition of Labour / SNP / Green / LibDems / PC would be able to lead the country in a strong and stable has not heard them bickering this week
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well yes, we could all have told her that. But this communique actually puts her into a worse position than she started in. A remarkable achievement, even for her.
    It doesn't actually, the EU have affirmed the backstop is an insurance only and aim to work for a subsequent agreement by December 2020, just some of the meaningless less backstoppy language May tried to include like 'does not represent a desirable outcome from the Union' and on further assurances which means sod all in legal terms was removed
  • Options
    Must say that was a shockingly poor performance from Raynor on QT. If she is a leading contender for the day Jezza retires to his manhole museum then we are all even more fucked than we thought.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

It is going to have to come and in the new year TM should announce it and as labour would support it offf we go

Doubt it. What's much more likely is that Remainers and Leavers are swept away in equal numbers...

In the the end the MP's left will still be split asunder and the membership will probably elect someone like JRM as LOTO.
    As long as Corbyn remains Labour leader there is very unlikely to be many Tory seats lost even if Corbyn becomes PM he will likely lack a majority
    And anyone who thinks a rainbow Coalition of Labour / SNP / Green / LibDems / PC would be able to lead the country in a strong and stable has not heard them bickering this week
    It would be able to lead the country to BINO customs union and single market though while the Tories go to a hard Brexit position in opposition
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The EU have had enough and realize nothing they can do at this stage will get the deal over the line . It’s hilarious reading some of the martyr comments in here from Leavers who expect the EU to continue to placate UK MPs who need a reality check.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

This is baffling.

Laura Kuenssberg (whose general reporting has been dismal throughout Brexit) now seems to think it's Juncker's job to be "helpful" to Theresa May.

Who are you cockopee? Geo Osborne's know-it-all lickspittle. Nowt wrong with Laura except to one-eyed remoaners like you.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    HYUFD said:

Can't see how she gets it through unless she throws a massive bone to Labour:

1) Promise Corbyn a general election in return for mass abstentions

2) Referendum of some form
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It doesn't actually
    She told her party she was going to get "legally binding assurance" about the backstop being undesirable for the EU too. They actually removed that text, and replaced it with text affirming the backstop is there to protect the single market.

Not only has May not gotten what she promised on the backstop from her party or the DUP, she's actually gottent the EUCO to re-affirm their support for it!

This has contrived to make May's impossible parliamentary arithmetic even harder, because she's now lied to her party and DUP (again) about the backstop, and suffered what is being widely reported as a "rebuff", "humiliation", "Salzburg 2.0" and my personal favorite, "diplomatic disaster".
  • Options

Oh FFS. They know what May's loony pals want. Cake, eating loads of it, masses oozing slices of it, which she can also keep.
    Is it really cake and eat it to want the removal of the backstop and continue the integrity of the country?
  • Options
    Norm said:

This is baffling.

Who are you cockopee? Geo Osborne's know-it-all lickspittle. Nowt wrong with Laura except to one-eyed remoaners like you.
    uhhhhh
  • Options
    Stark assessment from senior EU figure on #Brexit who tells me: The negotiations have ended. We are not talking to the British

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1073363165663117313

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Source said #Merkel interrupted @theresa_may tonight numerous times to say but what is it you want? #Brexit #meltdown

https://twitter.com/laurnorman/status/1073360848972857346

Zig-a-zig ahhh?
  • Options

I’m unsure what the EU reasoning for this is. There is a possibility that we will be asked in the near future whether we want to change our minds and associate with the EU again, I cannot fathom why they would think this would be a good idea.
    The natural response from anyone with any backbone is a resolution that we need to leave these people behind. Unfortunately the response from our wet MPs will be 'oh, leaving is just too hard, let's not bother'. Like the beaten wife always returning home.
  • Options

Is it really cake and eat it to want the removal of the backstop and continue the integrity of the country?
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Exactly.
    This is the backstop Mrs May negotiated and signed.
  • Options

Norm said:

Exactly.

Norm said:

Exactly.
    More fool her.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

It would be able to lead the country to BINO customs union and single market though while the Tories go to a hard Brexit position in opposition
    I just don’t see how it would last more than a couple of weeks. They would all be jockeying for their nationalist / left wing / eco credentials. The Libdems won’t sign up after getting shafted last time. If we think it is chaos now I can’t see it getting better any time soon
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Norm said:

More fool her.

Indeed, but you can see why the EU might be giving her such short shrift, asking for legally-binding but completely non-specific assurances to water down the backstop she spent 18 months getting negotiated and signed off.
  • Options

Norm said:

Exactly.
    May can sign whatever she wants - it needs parliamentary approval.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

I just don’t see how it would last more than a couple of weeks. They would all be jockeying for their nationalist / left wing / eco credentials. The Libdems won’t sign up after getting shafted last time. If we think it is chaos now I can’t see it getting better any time soon
    That's all it needs, practically. Just long enough to get the referendum bill passed, or the revocation of A50 and related repeal bills/cleanup legislation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

The LDs will vote for single market and Customs Union over No Deal, it would last long enough to get the job done even if the Tory opposition builds up a big poll lead having opposition effectively to itself
  • Options
    Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Can't see how she gets it through unless she throws a massive bone to Labour:

1) Promise Corbyn a general election in return for mass abstentions

2) Referendum of some form
    Deal v Remain referendum last resort
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    The briefings are certainly negative.
    https://twitter.com/JamesCrisp6/status/1073378170898919424
  • Options
    edited December 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It doesn't actually
    She told her party she was going to get "legally binding assurance" about the backstop being undesirable for the EU too. They actually removed that text, and replaced it with text affirming the backstop is there to protect the single market.

Not only has May not gotten what she promised on the backstop from her party or the DUP, she's actually gottent the EUCO to re-affirm their support for it!

This has contrived to make May's impossible parliamentary arithmetic even harder, because she's now lied to her party and DUP (again) about the backstop, and suffered what is being widely reported as a "rebuff", "humiliation", "Salzburg 2.0" and my personal favorite, "diplomatic disaster".
    The EU have affirmed the backstop is an insurance measure only and they aim to have an agreement in place by December 2020 to ensure it is not triggered, all the rest is just semantics and largely irrelevant
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,626

Jonathan said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's true... :(
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

The LDs will vote for single market and Customs Union over No Deal, it would last long enough to get the job done even if the Tory opposition builds up a big poll lead having opposition effectively to itself
    Whilst I agree a deal could be made over Brexit there is the little issue of the rest of everything a Government has to do. It will not work - there will be another election probably unclear outcome. In normal times I would suggest a unity government but cannot see it whilst Corbyn is around - he is not the type of politician to cooperate.

TBH whilst I can’t stand Corbyn I would love to see him try and negotiate a better Brexit deal with the EU.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

That's all it needs, practically. Just long enough to get the referendum bill passed, or the revocation of A50 and related repeal bills/cleanup legislation.
    Then what?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In 2020? What the bloody hell are they going to talk about in 2019 if not the agreement?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Whilst I agree a deal could be made over Brexit there is the little issue of the rest of everything a Government has to do. It will not work - there will be another election probably unclear outcome. In normal times I would suggest a unity government but cannot see it whilst Corbyn is around - he is not the type of politician to cooperate.

TBH whilst I can’t stand Corbyn I would love to see him try and negotiate a better Brexit deal with the EU.
    Negotiate? It would be a surrender.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    viewcode said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's true... :(
    I think there is a great deal of complacency among Remainers that looming No Deal makes Remain more likely.

And I think there's a great deal of complacency among No Dealers that Project Fear (Mark 2.0) is dramatically overdone, and that we will be able to sail through the process with no ill effects.

I'm here to tell you that both these complacencies are incorrect. No Deal, not Remain, is the default. Politics follows the path of least resistance, and too many in the Labour Party see No Deal Brexit as an event that - while it might cause distress to the country - will cause more to the Conservative Party. No Deal, they say, bring it on, for it is the Tories who will be blamed.

No Dealers? Three issues. The biggest is to think that the world is divided between perfidious Europeans, and the rest of the world, made of moral free traders. Let me tell you a secret: Europeans, Nation Staters, Americans, Saudis, Russians, Chinese, Australians and Chileans - they're all out for themselves. They won't look at a UK-?? relationship, and ask themselves "how do we maximise the pie?", they will ask "how do I maximise my share?"

The second one is to see small adminstrative issues as, well, small administrative issues. Individually, they're small, cumulatively they're massive.

Thirdly, the UK economy is sick. And it's not sick because of membership of the EU, but because governments have repeatedly prioritised spending over saving. Over the 21 years since 1997 we'been as profligate as the Greeks - it just hasn't come home to roost yet.

No Dealers, you won't go down as heroes, you'll go down as deluded. Remainers won't get the pleasure of schadenfreuda, you'll be seen as complicit. Your inaction is every bit as reprehensible as the that of the No Dealers.

And underlying all this is a fundamental misconception. Whatever is agreed, whatever is said in the legal texts, everything is always up for renegotiation. Scotland has no "exit clause", but does anyone doubt that if they voted to go, we'd let them? Before the Lisbon Treaty, there was not "how to leave the EU" method, yet Greenland managed it. Does anyone seriously think that if the Brits had voted in 2001 to leave the EU, then we could not have achieved it due to the lack of an exit clause?

Theresa May's deal is not perfect. Most importantly, it must be the people of Northern Ireland who should choose whether they remain in the backstop. But the deal is an exit. It honours the referendum result. It will neither torpedo the British democratic system, nor cause serious economic hardships. And whatever is agreed now, it will not last forever.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2018
    Swedish PM Stefan Löfven faces a parliamentary vote later today on his latest attempt to form a government. The problem is the parliament just approved the opposition's budget on Wednesday. Not sure how that combination works.

https://www.thelocal.se/20181212/parliament-to-vote-on-stefan-lofven-as-pm
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited December 2018
    So, to sum it up:

May's deal will not be able to get through Parliament

May cannot be removed internally for a year

A50 requires a commons vote to be revoked, which is unlikely to pass

The public would return an even more hung parliament if asked

Labour have (very wisely) no intention of taking government

A referendum with remain and May's deal as the two options would result in the deal winning, hence pro-remain MPs are unlikely to vote for such a thing.

What a mess.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

This is baffling.

If he wants the deal past then it might be wise if him
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    Nigelb said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Mogg is in incompetent foiled assassin sulk mode.

He was already like that before they failed - for example his ridiculous attack on Carney.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

A referendum with remain and May's deal as the two options would result in the deal winning, hence pro-remain MPs are unlikely to vote for such a thing.

I'm sure they'd be willing to take their chances.

The hard part is, even if TMay were willing to do such a thing, whether enough of them care about it enough to sustain her in office for long enough to pass the legislation to do this.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    A way will be found. Likely Article 50 being revoked or suspended. There is no way a Remain parliament and a Remain establishment is going to let No Deal happen. Simply no chance.
    I fear a big part of Labour's strategy would allow us to fall from the cliff provided it is the Tories who get the blame.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

They are aware that May would be the leader at that point right? As she has said she has no intention of leading them into a 2022 GE.

Maybe they have the kind of memory that makes a goldfish proud as to what happened last time she was on the stump.

It's possible it's the other way around. For how can May actually lead a GE campaign and put herself up for next PM after what she has said? Surely the truth is that as soon as a GE is called (or even looks imminent), she has to resign?
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Charles said:

This is baffling.

If he wants the deal past then it might be wise if him
    Your Brexit dreams lie in tatters and you’ve lost the ability to write English.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Why did May not ask for rUK to remain in single market for goods within backstop perhaps obviating potential Irish Sea regulatory barriers ?
    It does not affect the remainder of the WA and could have been provided via legal addendum like Spain's Gibraltar clarification.

Did anyone even ask for it ??????
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    I fear a big part of Labour's strategy would allow us to fall from the cliff provided it is the Tories who get the blame.
    At what point in the process to Labour MPs decide that the deal on offer is better than no deal?

To me, this is now the key question for the next three months, and determines whether we leave with the deal or without it. The failure of Conservative rebel MPs on both sides to unseat the PM this week mads no deal much more likely IMO.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

It's possible it's the other way around. For how can May actually lead a GE campaign and put herself up for next PM after what she has said? Surely the truth is that as soon as a GE is called (or even looks imminent), she has to resign?
    It loooks sufficiently at risk of being imminent to mean that half her Cabinet will be focussed on getting their leadership bid underway. It's now all about the succession.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    That looks to be Corbyn's strategy.
  • Options
    As said on Tuesday, an inevitable headline once May was confirmed as leader:

"Brexit: EU says no to May on renegotiaiting deal" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46560807
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    That looks to be Corbyn's strategy.
    If the Tories take us over the edge, it will probably work. A classic case of where self interest is hugely at variance with the national interest.
  • Options

"Brexit: EU says no to May on renegotiaiting deal" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46560807

No, it's the inevitable consequence of a deal that already provides what she wants (since the EU doesn't want us in the backstop and it is supposed to be temporary) that May cannot sell because she is trying to sell a deal to people who don't want one, and never did, May should have realised from the beginning that she would never get the fruitcake wing of her own party on board for any settlement, and planned accordingly.

There must come a point soon when sensible Tories realise they need a deal with the opposition, or at least to be seen trying to secure one,
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Labour MPs would go for a referendum. I can't see many of them voting for the deal even if May attempts blackmail by running down the clock.

Will May and 98% of Tories be happy to crash out without a deal is the bit I am less sure on.

Or the other alternative is will the Conservatives be able to win around their own rebels. If the Tories vote for it I think you could get enough votes from the rest of the house for it to pass.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

No, it's the inevitable consequence of a deal that already provides what she wants (since the EU doesn't want us in the backstop and it is supposed to be temporary) that May cannot sell because she is trying to sell a deal to people who don't want one, and never did, May should have realised from the beginning that she would never get the fruitcake wing of her own party on board for any settlement, and planned accordingly.

There must come a point soon when sensible Tories realise they need a deal with the opposition, or at least to be seen trying to secure one,
    I would suggest a deal that will not pass the House does not provide what she wants.

Irrespective, time to start preparing those side deals. And to confirm that we will not be charging tariffs on, for example, automotive parts coming into the UK. Better late No Deal preparation than no No Deal preparation. And confirming that all medicines will continue to flow into the UK, unimpeded. You're there for the duration, May. So show us what you got.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    Then should not the Tories step away from the edge?
  • Options
    At Salzburg the EU leaders treated Theresa May dreadfully. Last night she got the treatment she deserved. If you sign a deal, then ask for a renegotiation, then do not articulate what you actually substantively want, you are going to be monstered.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?

At Salzburg the EU leaders treated Theresa May dreadfully. Last night she got the treatment she deserved. If you sign a deal, then ask for a renegotiation, then do not articulate what you actually substantively want, you are going to be monstered.

Almost the entire British political system looks beyond help right now. And the almost might be superfluous
  • Options

It's worse when you add the real context:

* Wasting time
    * Prolonging uncertainty for millions of people whose lives could be screwed in just a few months
    * To close down options that might solve the problem
    * With no apparent benefit except to sustain herself in office a little bit longer
    * By wasting the time of 27 national leaders with more serious problems to deal with

She got off lightly.
  • Options
    If we end up with a second referendum, which I must admit after this shambles of an attempted renegotiation I lean a little more toward tonight, the entire process will have been a VERY worthwhile exercise in showing up the absolute lack of talent, imagination, failure to engage with reality, wishful thinking and all round incompetence of our politics.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    Corbyn could "reluctantly for the national interest" agree to abstain on the meaningful vote adding that he will test the confidence of the house after such a move. If the DUP stay true to their word then he gets a GE. If they back the Tories he could hold a national exec where A50 revocation is agreed and block the further legislation needed for the WA dependant on a second referendum. OK so it is playing games to some degree, but the DUP would have to back the deal which seems unlikely.
    That would be far more responsible than just digging in with the current impasse.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2018
    "Civil war breaks out among Tories as Chancellor is branded a 'moron' for calling Brexiteers extremists"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/12/13/civil-war-breaks-among-tories-chancellor-branded-moron-calling
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    All the Tories stepping way from the edge does not take the UK away from the edge. It's the numbers.....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    At what point in the process to Labour MPs decide that the deal on offer is better than no deal?

To me, this is now the key question for the next three months, and determines whether we leave with the deal or without it. The failure of Conservative rebel MPs on both sides to unseat the PM this week mads no deal much more likely IMO.
    I disagree. No deal would have been equally, if not more likely had May been unseated. That would not have changed the Parliamentary arithmetic, and there is no alternate leave plan available.

The question is not just whether there are enough Labour MPs who decide that May’s deal is better than no deal, but also whether they think a second referendum is or isn’t possible, and whether they think they can get a third outcome like remain, or an extension and renegotiation (fantasy though that is).

I am not hugely optimistic.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    All the Tories stepping way from the edge does not take the UK away from the edge. It's the numbers.....
    So let's cancel Brexit altogether then.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do we? How?
    Corbyn could "reluctantly for the national interest" agree to abstain on the meaningful vote adding that he will test the confidence of the house after such a move. If the DUP stay true to their word then he gets a GE. If they back the Tories he could hold a national exec where A50 revocation is agreed and block the further legislation needed for the WA dependant on a second referendum. OK so it is playing games to some degree, but the DUP would have to back the deal which seems unlikely.
    That would be far more responsible than just digging in with the current impasse.
    It’s a theoretical possibility, but seems unlikely to me.
    It would actually be a statesmanlike thing to do. I’d be interested in Nick Palmer’s opinion of this.
This discussion has been closed.