Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Best historical indicator that a LOTO will become PM have been

13»

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,188

Anazina said:

Corbyn is an excellent campaigner. He overturned a 20pt May lead in a month and a half.

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/876894066478329857
    I think I speak for most people. This is utterly fucking tiresome. You have a PhD. Do something else.
    It's tiresome for the first 20 or so times. But after a while it becomes funny again. A bit like the running jokes in Private Eye.
    You must be easily amused. It was barely funny the first time. Which was a long long time ago.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,534
    IanB2 said:

Interesting interview with Ken Clarke on C4 News. His renewed visibility over the last few days is significant. It looks like he's gearing up to lead a coalition of the sane out of this unholy mess. Let's hope so. It would be a brilliant culmination to a great career: the new Churchill coming back to lead his country away from the abyss.

+1

KC 4 PM

He is a great communicator, excellent judgement, not afraid of making hard choices/ decisions that might make him unpopular in some quarters.
    +1 as well. He has principles (would have been PM long ago without them) and is materially better than the current shower of politicians
    Another +1 from me. I don’t agree with everything he says but he is head and shoulders above the current crop and one of the best PMs we never had.
    And +1. I am fed up with these child politicians; it is time for the grown ups.
    +1 also. Compared to the other alternatives he'd get my vote.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,468

YouGov poll klaxon!

It's just a poll - let's wait for the grate referendum before we get excited shall we?
    I dont know if I Camerbert to read such puns.

Anazina said:

Corbyn is an excellent campaigner. He overturned a 20pt May lead in a month and a half.

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/876894066478329857
    I think I speak for most people. This is utterly fucking tiresome. You have a PhD. Do something else.
    It's tiresome for the first 20 or so times. But after a while it becomes funny again. A bit like the running jokes in Private Eye.
    Er, no. Just no.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    edited December 2018

notme said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As I keep sayinge.

I'm not trying to convince

Who in their right mind would want to lead the "deal" campaign?
    I nominate Big G.

Remain betrays the referendum

So all in all Deal for me but if not remain

n
    And tonight TM is laughing and having fun in her constitiency at a social gathering. This woman has type 1 diabetes (I have type 2) and her stamina is medically defying all logic
    Good on you for at least considering it!

It will hang on whether the ultras really mean it when they say they would rather remain than back the deal. If they do, Remain will walk it. If they don't, there might be a contest.
    If ERG take over my party would I be welcomed in the Lib Dems do you think
    Judging from your posts here, I'd say unreservedly.
    It may come to pass if the ultras have anything to do with it
    Agent G: your mission, if you choose to accept it..... :D
    I never thought I would see theparty through this crisis but if ERG take over I may offer myself to the Lib Dems and as I am only a few months older than Vince, I think, even then, I could do a better job of leading them to electoral success !!!!!!!
    Come on your are hyperboling a little there. The ERG traditional right wing in the Conservative Party tradition of right wing. They want to leave the EU at any and all costs, that obsession is what separates them from the "what is right is what works" tradition of the Conservatives.

They're not my cup of tea and i think their obsessiveness is generally destructive, but ultra right wing (with the historical connotations) is really not an accurate description.
    A group talking of voting against the party in a vnoc is unacceptable
    Absolutely. And it rather proves that they were never Conservatives in the first place.
    Nothing much Conservative or conservative about May.
    Oh come, come. She is right out of the middle of the Tory tradition. A commitment to common sense, Britishness, pragmatism, service to the community and a set of ruinously wrong ideas about how the economy works.
    Foxy said:

YouGov poll klaxon!

It's just a poll - let's wait for the grate referendum before we get excited shall we?
    There are stiltons left where that one came from.
    dixiedean said:

YouGov poll klaxon!

What disturbs me are the 3% "other". Who are these people, and what do they do the kinky beasts?
    Give it to the dog must get a few %
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,073
    He'll be there, but he won't be involved.
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

YouGov poll klaxon!

What disturbs me are the 3% "other". Who are these people, and what do they do the kinky beasts?
    Give it to the dog must get a few %
    Our dog would say: "You have the bit that's left over - I'll eat the stuff you've grated" :wink:

In honour of the splits in the country, I have changed my profile picture to a scene I found outside a couple of houses during a walk a few months ago.

I wonder if the neighbours get on? ;)

The name of the property is a nice touch.
  • notme said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As I keep sayinge.

I'm not trying to convince

Who in their right mind would want to lead the "deal" campaign?
    I nominate Big G.

Remain betrays the referendum

So all in all Deal for me but if not remain

n
    And tonight TM is laughing and having fun in her constitiency at a social gathering. This woman has type 1 diabetes (I have type 2) and her stamina is medically defying all logic
    Good on you for at least considering it!

It will hang on whether the ultras really mean it when they say they would rather remain than back the deal. If they do, Remain will walk it. If they don't, there might be a contest.
    If ERG take over my party would I be welcomed in the Lib Dems do you think
    Judging from your posts here, I'd say unreservedly.
    It may come to pass if the ultras have anything to do with it
    Agent G: your mission, if you choose to accept it..... :D
    I never thought I would see theparty through this crisis but if ERG take over I may offer myself to the Lib Dems and as I am only a few months older than Vince, I think, even then, I could do a better job of leading them to electoral success !!!!!!!
    Come on your are hyperboling a little there.

They're not my cup of tea and i think their obsessiveness is generally destructive, but ultra right wing (with the historical connotations) is really not an accurate description.
    A group talking of voting against the party in a vnoc is unacceptable
    Absolutely. And it rather proves that they were never Conservatives in the first place.
    Nothing much Conservative or conservative about May.
    Oh come, come. She is right out of the middle of the Tory tradition. A commitment to common sense, Britishness, pragmatism, service to the community and a set of ruinously wrong ideas about how the economy works.
    Very funny. She’s displayed none of those qualities and is the most anti-business, PM I can recall. What she you think she has dine in the one nation conservative tradition is beyond me.
  • Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    I assume May has to make a statement on Monday about EUCO?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,833
    IanB2 said:

In honour of the splits in the country, I have changed my profile picture to a scene I found outside a couple of houses during a walk a few months ago.

I wonder if the neighbours get on? ;)

The name of the property is a nice touch.
    I'm shocked to say I hadn't noticed that ... :)

YouGov poll klaxon!

How can you keep grating cheese that is too small to grate? A modern day koan for our times.
    The headline says 'too small to grate' but the question doesn’t. Fake news!
    Blood doesn't improve the taste of cheese anyhow.
    edited December 2018

YouGov poll klaxon!

How can you keep grating cheese that is too small to grate? A modern day koan for our times.
    The headline says 'too small to grate' but the question doesn’t. Fake news!
    The most impressive thing about the survey - or questionable, from a scientific perspective - is that every single person polled actually grates cheese. Or at least that the few that don't rounds to zero.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    dixiedean said:

YouGov poll klaxon!

What disturbs me the most is the supposed value of 0% given for those who never grate cheese.

I can't be the only person in the country who saves themselves the pointless faff and buys grated cheese on the rare occasions that they actually need it? It is to be found in some quantity in bags on the shelves of the local Tesco. They wouldn't keep selling it if they only had one customer for the stuff.

I take this as further confirmation that the polling companies are hopelessly inaccurate, and only score their occasional successes by chance. Otherwise, how could YouGov's sample be so hopelessly skewed that it didn't include any non-graters?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    edited December 2018
    Historical indicators or no Corbyn will have to work hard not to be PM.
    Donny43 said:

I assume May has to make a statement on Monday about EUCO?

She can cover it in her daily PMHs (Prime Minister's Humiliations) session.
    Kate Hoey certainly represents a minority strand within contemporary Labour Party thinking.

The leadership are somewhat closer to the IRA. Allegedly.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,271
    FPPT

PM Thatcher
    COE Gladstone
    Home Norman Tebbit
    Foreign Disraeli
    Defence Duke of Wellington
    Health Sally Fallon Morrell
    Business James Dyson
    Work and pensions George Cadbury
    Education Rab Butler
    DEFRA Graham Harvey
    Transport Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Ind dev roll into the FCO

Don't let Brunel anywhere near transport. He was a good civil engineer, but financially many of his projects were basketcases, and the less said about his mechanical abilities, the better. If you want the sort of person who could tun a department as varied and non-functional as transport, you'd want someone like Josiah Stamp. Although hopefully without the same sad demise, and hopefully the state wouldn't act so terribly to his estate.

Although the nearest living person in archetype to Brunel is Elon Musk. There are some quite startling similarities ...
    Ha, thanks for responding! Took me ages then the thread changed! Stamp it is.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Foxy said:

Donny43 said:

If you want to remain, argue for it. Sell the EU positively - and there is much that is positive to sell. Don't sit back and wait for someone else to do it.

A point that the Do Not Leave campaign never grasped.
    Very true. It seemed to me that the contrast with 1975 was strong. There was a strong IN campaign then; I clearly remember leafletting, stewarding at public meetings and so on. In fact, on Referendum Day I spent about 8 hours driving the Liberals Loudspeaker Van....my wife's mini with a speaker strapped to the roof rack,...... with a plummy-voiced prominent local Conservative urging people to vote.
    I saw nothing like that this time. I got the impression that the leaders of Remain thought no-one would be daft enough to vote for Johnson and Farage's lies.
    And I went looking for campaigners locally.
    One of the striking thing about recent campaigns and elections has been the paucity of street level activity, apart from the surfeit of Corbynites. I saw only one poster during the Brexit campaign (Leave on IoW). I did one stall in Melton, and there was a Britain First one in Leicester. Both the rallies that I went to (1 Leave in Leicester, 1 Remain in Rutland) had only a couple of dozen in attendance. I did some vote cultivating at work, but there was nothing visible in my suburb. It was an online campaign on both sides.

I think this is how it is now. I barely saw a poster in either 2015 or 2017 GE either, despite quite extensive travels by road in a variety of constituencies, some marginal. I think political campaigning has changed, and public expression of affiliation rather frowned upon by both sides.

My street was a mass of political posters and boards.....
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Foxy said:

I think this is how it is now. I barely saw a poster in either 2015 or 2017 GE either, despite quite extensive travels by road in a variety of constituencies, some marginal. I think political campaigning has changed, and public expression of affiliation rather frowned upon by both sides.

They have been banned in Edinburgh. Perhaps other authorities have done likewise?
    edited December 2018

dixiedean said:

YouGov poll klaxon!

What disturbs me the most is the supposed value of 0% given for those who never grate cheese.

I can't be the only person in the country who saves themselves the pointless faff and buys grated cheese on the rare occasions that they actually need it? It is to be found in some quantity in bags on the shelves of the local Tesco. They wouldn't keep selling it if they only had one customer for the stuff.

I take this as further confirmation that the polling companies are hopelessly inaccurate, and only score their occasional successes by chance. Otherwise, how could YouGov's sample be so hopelessly skewed that it didn't include any non-graters?
    You should ask Tesco what they do with the piece of cheese when it becomes too small to grate?
    kle4 said:

Never underestimate the capacity of the modern British politician to fuck up.

That said, based on the principle that every Prime Minister for at least the past three or four decades has been worse than the last one, once May's gone we're probably due five years of Corbyn, followed by five years of Boris.

Elections will end after that, because the Government won't be able to afford to print the ballot papers.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

Donny43 said:

If you want to remain, argue for it. Sell the EU positively - and there is much that is positive to sell. Don't sit back and wait for someone else to do it.

A point that the Do Not Leave campaign never grasped.
    Very true. It seemed to me that the contrast with 1975 was strong. There was a strong IN campaign then; I clearly remember leafletting, stewarding at public meetings and so on. In fact, on Referendum Day I spent about 8 hours driving the Liberals Loudspeaker Van....my wife's mini with a speaker strapped to the roof rack,...... with a plummy-voiced prominent local Conservative urging people to vote.
    I saw nothing like that this time. I got the impression that the leaders of Remain thought no-one would be daft enough to vote for Johnson and Farage's lies.
    And I went looking for campaigners locally.
    One of the striking thing about recent campaigns and elections has been the paucity of street level activity, apart from the surfeit of Corbynites. I saw only one poster during the Brexit campaign (Leave on IoW). I did one stall in Melton, and there was a Britain First one in Leicester. Both the rallies that I went to (1 Leave in Leicester, 1 Remain in Rutland) had only a couple of dozen in attendance. I did some vote cultivating at work, but there was nothing visible in my suburb. It was an online campaign on both sides.

My street was a mass of political posters and boards.....
    I wish I were so lucky. Normally at least the lds in my area put a lot through the letterbox but they were all off in a nearby, winnable seat. In fairness the newly corbynite labour party in the area put in much more effort than usual.

Kate Hoey certainly represents a minority strand within contemporary Labour Party thinking.

The leadership are somewhat closer to the IRA. Allegedly.
    I don't think there's any 'allegedly' about it. Even Theresa May is closer to the IRA than somebody who'd say that!
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

YouGov poll klaxon!

You should ask Tesco what they do with the piece of cheese when it becomes too small to grate?
    Invalid question. Tesco will be using cheese grating robots. They can grate all of the cheese without hurting their robot fingers.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    edited December 2018

kle4 said:

That said, based on the principle that every Prime Minister for at least the past three or four decades has been worse than the last one, once May's gone we're probably due five years of Corbyn, followed by five years of Boris.

Elections will end after that, because the Government won't be able to afford to print the ballot papers.
    Cameron was not worse than Brown.

Barring one minor omni-shambles. The Referendum.

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

YouGov poll klaxon!

Invalid question. Tesco will be using cheese grating robots. They can grate all of the cheese without hurting their robot fingers.
    I guess that might be the answer. Maybe some of the 3% have grating robots at home; they would be very useful for onions? Anyhow I couldn't resist asking Tesco myself, given how many pieces of cheese they must be grating; let's see if I get an answer from them.
  • I might cut the last bit of ungrated cheese with a knife before putting it with the rest.
    Scott_P said:

Foxy said:

They have been banned in Edinburgh. Perhaps other authorities have done likewise?
    Technically they require advertising consent, but planning enforcement runs so slowly that no council would ever do anything before the election was over. Especially as councils tend to be busy at election times.

The decline in the poster habit is a shame; in my six elections we printed fewer each time and still had more left over. Seeing posters go up was a great morale boost for canvassers.

kle4 said:

Brown presided over a vast, unsustainable spending boom as Chancellor. Not to mention a regime of financial deregulation that arguably resulted in the British recession being worse than in many other countries. There was also that shambles with the election that never was. And Bigotgate.

On the other hand, at least he kept us out of the Euro, and there are positives to be taken from his handling of the financial crisis.

Cameron nearly lost Scotland. Then he undid half-a-century of British foreign policy, contrary to his own wishes, needlessly and by accident. Finally, he ran off and abandoned his party and country to the leadership of a plank of wood.

Theresa May is a plank of wood.

I think there's at least some argument for their having got worse over time.

FPPT

PM Thatcher
    COE Gladstone
    Home Norman Tebbit
    Foreign Disraeli
    Business James Dyson
    Education Rab Butler
    DEFRA Graham Harvey

Don't let Brunel anywhere near transport. He was a good civil engineer, but financially many of his projects were basketcases, and the less said about his mechanical abilities, the better. If you want the sort of person who could tun a department as varied and non-functional as transport, you'd want someone like Josiah Stamp. Although hopefully without the same sad demise, and hopefully the state wouldn't act so terribly to his estate.

Although the nearest living person in archetype to Brunel is Elon Musk. There are some quite startling similarities ...
    More on Stamp's sad demise:

"Stamp refused to be moved out of his house, 'Tantallon', in Park Hill Road, Shortlands, because of German bombing during The Blitz. He, aged sixty, and his wife, aged sixty-three, were killed by a bomb's direct hit on the air-raid shelter at their home on 16 April 1941.
    Stamp's son Wilfred was killed at the same time and in the same place, but English law has legal fiction that in the event of the order of deaths being indeterminable, the elder is deemed to have died first. Legally therefore, Wilfred momentarily inherited the peerage: and as a consequence the family had to pay death duty twice. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_Stamp,_1st_Baron_Stamp

The estate having to pay death duties twice is just evil.

He was quite a fascinating character, with one or two good quotes attributed to him.
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Foxy said:

Technically they require advertising consent, but planning enforcement runs so slowly that no council would ever do anything before the election was over. Especially as councils tend to be busy at election times.

The decline in the poster habit is a shame; in my six elections we printed fewer each time and still had more left over. Seeing posters go up was a great morale boost for canvassers.
    Maybe it's symptomatic of the general disillusion with politics and politicians.

I might cut the last bit of ungrated cheese with a knife before putting it with the rest.

I cut off the last bit and eat that before grating the rest :wink:

FPPT

PM Thatcher
    COE Gladstone
    Home Norman Tebbit
    Foreign Disraeli
    Business James Dyson
    Education Rab Butler
    DEFRA Graham Harvey

I'm intrigued to learn Josias is an aficionado of Adrian Vaughan. I wouldn't have expected that.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    IanB2 said:

Of course Edinburgh have taken it to the next level. Originally posters on lamppost were banned, but A-boards outside polling places was permitted.

Now I think they want to ban all pavement based adverts, which has lots of business very upset
    Does Parliament finish for Christmas on Thursday?
    HYUFD said:
    The Toblerone will get through regardless.

Can they smuggle insulin inside it?

Two weeks closer to No Deal.....

No, because the turkeys we have elected are refusing to vote for it.

I believe that's the plan. At the moment, anyway.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924
    ydoethur said:

Our goose is pretty much cooked anyways.
    ydoethur said:

200 turkeys voted for turkey May on Tuesday.
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

We need to beef up our preparations, but our politicians are all chicken.

Good night.

Foxy said:

YouGov poll klaxon!

There are stiltons left where that one came from.
    I had comté expect more from PB on the pun front but I cantal cheese is not your strong topic.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2018
    "Jeremy Corbyn urged to call vote of no confidence in Theresa May next week as his party grows restless"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/12/14/jeremy-corbyn-urged-call-vote-no-confidence-theresa-may-next/
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Good night.
    This will end with a pheasants revolt.
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Good night.
    They'll certainly grouse.....

FPPT

PM Thatcher
    COE Gladstone
    Home Norman Tebbit
    Foreign Disraeli
    Business James Dyson
    Education Rab Butler
    DEFRA Graham Harvey

"Stamp refused to be moved out of his house, 'Tantallon', in Park Hill Road, Shortlands, because of German bombing during The Blitz. He, aged sixty, and his wife, aged sixty-three, were killed by a bomb's direct hit on the air-raid shelter at their home on 16 April 1941.
    Stamp's son Wilfred was killed at the same time and in the same place, but English law has legal fiction that in the event of the order of deaths being indeterminable, the elder is deemed to have died first. Legally therefore, Wilfred momentarily inherited the peerage: and as a consequence the family had to pay death duty twice. "

He was quite a fascinating character, with one or two good quotes attributed to him.
    BLimey - I'm all for preventing excessive inherited wealth but double dealth duty in that situation is incredibly harsh.
    ydoethur said:

FPPT

PM Thatcher
    COE Gladstone
    Home Norman Tebbit
    Foreign Disraeli
    Business James Dyson
    Education Rab Butler
    DEFRA Graham Harvey

I'm intrigued to learn Josias is an aficionado of Adrian Vaughan. I wouldn't have expected that.
    I loved his 'Signalman's Twilight' when I was a kid. Haven't read it in decades though, and it's a little too much into coppertop territory for me. I might get infected with those pestilential GWR ways. ;)

But it's late, and I cannot see the immediate connection between Vaughan and Stamp?

FPPT

PM Thatcher
    COE Gladstone
    Home Norman Tebbit
    Foreign Disraeli
    Business James Dyson
    Education Rab Butler
    DEFRA Graham Harvey

BLimey - I'm all for preventing excessive inherited wealth but double dealth duty in that situation is incredibly harsh.
    It'd be interesting to know if that's still the rule.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,963

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Good night.
    Is that what game theory tells you?
    edited December 2018
    One of those clever new web presentations, by the BBC about the Yellow Vests.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/yellow_vests

"Outside the ring roads that encircle Paris, and other major French cities, you will find the suburbs and satellite towns where workers like Nouria Benatia live. And the gap between the world she works in, and the one she can afford to live in, is growing."
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Good night.
    I for one quail at the prospect.

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Good night.
    Is that what game theory tells you?
    I quail in the face of your puns.....
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,905
    HYUFD said:
    That's good.

Belated, but good. That means that we have now secured tariff free access to numbers 10 and 29 on the list of UK trading partners.

There is still much to do. In particular, we need to replicate the current arrangements with South Korea, and the US.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

kle4 said:

Brown presided over a vast, unsustainable spending boom as Chancellor. Not to mention a regime of financial deregulation that arguably resulted in the British recession being worse than in many other countries. There was also that shambles with the election that never was. And Bigotgate.

On the other hand, at least he kept us out of the Euro, and there are positives to be taken from his handling of the financial crisis.

Cameron nearly lost Scotland. Then he undid half-a-century of British foreign policy, contrary to his own wishes, needlessly and by accident. Finally, he ran off and abandoned his party and country to the leadership of a plank of wood.

Theresa May is a plank of wood.

I think there's at least some argument for their having got worse over time.
    That is a bit harsh on the plank of wood.
  • Remember that you are cheerleading for this repulsive creature.

https://order-order.com/2018/12/14/juncker-morning-may-kissing/

ydoethur said:

FPPT

PM Thatcher
    COE Gladstone
    Home Norman Tebbit
    Foreign Disraeli
    Business James Dyson
    Education Rab Butler
    DEFRA Graham Harvey

I loved his 'Signalman's Twilight' when I was a kid. Haven't read it in decades though, and it's a little too much into coppertop territory for me. I might get infected with those pestilential GWR ways. ;)

But it's late, and I cannot see the immediate connection between Vaughan and Stamp?
    Never heard of Adrian Vaughan but your comments made me look him up and order the Signalman's Trilogy on Amazon. Looks like nice winter evening reading. Thanks!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,905

YouGov poll klaxon!

Thank god: I thought I was the only person who noticed that that answer made no sense.

Remember that you are cheerleading for this repulsive creature.

https://order-order.com/2018/12/14/juncker-morning-may-kissing/
    Er, no. What on earth makes you draw that conclusion? Bizarre.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    That's good.

Belated, but good. That means that we have now secured tariff free access to numbers 10 and 29 on the list of UK trading partners.

There is still much to do. In particular, we need to replicate the current arrangements with South Korea, and the US.
    Or just stay in the CU.
    If they'd wanted to change direction they shouldn't have voted to keep her.

The Cabinet will make no further progress until someone works out what happened to the communal brain cell. Who last had it? And where were they when it fell out of their nose?
  • OortOort Posts: 96
    edited December 2018

Oort said:

Slightly tangential: where does the British government keep its gold? Asking for a friend.

https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-bank-of-englands-gold-vaults-2016-7?r=UK&IR=T
    Thanks. I wonder what proportion of ECB gold is kept in London too. According to Bullionstar.com, the ECB keeps its gold in London, Paris, Lisbon, New York, and Rome, but it won't say in what proportions. Apparently, though, the largest transfer in 1999 was by the German central bank - of bars held in London.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,919

The Cabinet will make no further progress until someone works out what happened to the communal brain cell. Who last had it? And where were they when it fell out of their nose?
    Voting against her gave them a leadership election which would go to the members with boris as one of the 2 candidates. That wasn’t an option the cabinet could take
    rcs1000 said:

YouGov poll klaxon!

Thank god: I thought I was the only person who noticed that that answer made no sense.
    Reading the actual question people were asked might help?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited December 2018
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    That's good.

What if you don’t like Toblerone?
    Somebody posted a link to this earlier, and I just got round to reading it. Heavy going in places but well worth it. It is balanced, in the sense that he makes clear he has little time for calls to reverse Brexit or vote again - but it sets out clearly and in detail why the claims of the no dealers are simplistic and dangerous.

https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2018/12/13/full-speech-sir-ivan-rogers-on-brexit/
  • OortOort Posts: 96
    edited December 2018
    eek said:

Voting against her gave them a leadership election which would go to the members with boris as one of the 2 candidates. That wasn’t an option the cabinet could take
    Those who were arguing that since the number of no confidence votes was more than a third of the number of Tory MPs it follows that the ERG will get its poster boy (but non-member) Boris Johnson to what they sweetly imagine will be the second stage of a leadership election should take on board that according to that Times piece the ERGers in the Cabinet seem well split: David Gauke leaning towards a second referendum, Michael Gove wanting Norway, and Andrea Leadsom wanting "to risk" No Deal.
    "Where is Tommy Robinson taking Ukip?
    The Brexit Betrayal March showcased a party that has taken a turn to the hard Right

Tanya Gold"

https://unherd.com/2018/12/where-is-tommy-robinson-taking-ukip
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,963
    AndyJS said:

The Brexit Betrayal March showcased a party that has taken a turn to the hard Right

Tanya Gold"

https://twitter.com/mikestuchbery_/status/1072947545561812992?s=21
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,809
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    That's good.

We can have a Swiss Cheese Party Hurrah
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,310

The law has a specific exemption for that sort of case, more commonly where a couple die from a car accident in quick succession. I'm surprised it didn't then.
  • theProletheProle Posts: 948

dixiedean said:

YouGov poll klaxon!

Top tip - a bag of ready grated cheese can be shoved in the freezer. This makes throwing together cheese sauces or similar dead easy, even if you only use grated cheese once in a fairly blue moon. (I only really use cheese for cooking, and before I figured this trick used to end up forever making cheese on toast to get rid of odd bits of left over cheese lurking in the fridge.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2018

AndyJS said:

Tanya Gold"

By sounds of it old Tommy has done rather well for himself. Not bad for failed property developer and sunbed shop owner, and now unemployed facebook streamer.

AndyJS said:

Tanya Gold"

This is what a descent into tribalism looks like. Very worrying.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,310
    Foxy said:

Very mich not true in Broxtowe - always a sea of posters for Labour in Beeston (some have refused to take them down, over a year later) and huge Tory posters in the Tory hinterland. You always get the impression that it's an ultra-marginal even when (1992, 1997, 2001) it actually wasn't. But during the referendum there were almost no posters at all - probably because the parties didn't have a common view.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,079
    Oort said:

eek said:

Those who were arguing that since the number of no confidence votes was more than a third of the number of Tory MPs it follows that the ERG will get its poster boy (but non-member) Boris Johnson to what they sweetly imagine will be the second stage of a leadership election should take on board that according to that Times piece the ERGers in the Cabinet seem well split: David Gauke leaning towards a second referendum, Michael Gove wanting Norway, and Andrea Leadsom wanting "to risk" No Deal.
    I suppose as she is a former CEO of Barclays Bank, her opinion is worth taking seriously.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,079

I think it will be lost for good by now. Presumably it has been missing throughout their support of the interminable process of negotiating this deal that they've now decided to disown, despite not having a clue what else to do.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,571
    So, anyway. This is a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH-oScnJXB0
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    So we’re supposed to get out the bunting to celebrate the UK hanging onto a deal with Switzerland it already had through being an EU member !

Of course those uninformed will be duped into thinking this is Global Britain winning bigly !

Never has so much time and money been wasted on something so utterly pointless and damaging as Brexit .

I mean if one just engages their brain and really thinks about Brexit it amounts to a country tearing up its trade links with its biggest market , in an attempt to regain sovereignty it hadn’t lost , to make itself poorer to make rules it made anyway and make its people second class citizens on their own continent , shorn of their right to freedom of movement to stop Europeans with similar values from doing jobs the Brits don’t want to do anyway .

• DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Scott_P said:

Foxy said:

Street posters are banned in Birmingham too. Visitors certainly got the impression that no election was taking place (also, few people put posters in their window like they used to) but there was a great deal of canvassing going on. There were a few dozen Labour volunteers out in the marginals like Erdington and Northfield every day, and Labour delivered a leaflet every week during the campaign.

Labour's campaigning (both national and local) obviously worked, but voters keep their cards incredibly close to their chest these days - virtually no-one on the ground could tell that Labour was going to do so well (relatively speaking).
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Foxy said:

Very mich not true in Broxtowe - always a sea of posters for Labour in Beeston (some have refused to take them down, over a year later) and huge Tory posters in the Tory hinterland. You always get the impression that it's an ultra-marginal even when (1992, 1997, 2001) it actually wasn't. But during the referendum there were almost no posters at all - probably because the parties didn't have a common view.
    Con associations were not allowed to use their resources to campaign in any way for the referendum.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Tanya Gold"

This is what a descent into tribalism looks like. Very worrying.

This is what happens when you think you can put someone’s family at risk, consequence free, because you disagree with their politics.
This discussion has been closed.