Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Coming up at 2100 GMT on Channel 4 – Brexit the movie

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Coming up at 2100 GMT on Channel 4 – Brexit the movie

Join the discussion while it happens here. I’ve little doubt it will cause controversy and maybe shape perceptions of what happened. It, of course, comes at the most critical time for the Government as it desperately tries to secure the agreement of the Commons on the Brexit deal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• one
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Will it cover the whole 30 seconds Jeremy Corbyn spent campaigning for Remain? And the 29 seconds Theresa May did?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    I spend enough time on Brexit as it is. I'll be watching feel good stuff instead.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    I will need to skip it... I have some paint drying that I need to keep an eye on :D
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    One point often made about the Remain side is that it was almost entirely negative, but the coda is that even when it tried to be positive, it apologised so much it did Leave's job for it. We know the EU is rubbish but it's not quite as scary as the big bad world out there; always keep tight hold of nurse, kind of thing. It will be interesting to see if the programme reflects that.

The counter charge often made is that yes, Leave was positive, but its positive vision relied on a complete disregard of the facts.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

This is where the discussion went wrong. Cameron's Bloomberg Speech was not about demanding concessions from Europe as if it was a zero-sum game; it was about reforming the EU to work in everyone's interests, not just whether 'Inners' or 'Outers', or Eurozone members or not (i.e. national membership positions) but the public as well. That aspiration ended up being dropped, which is how it ended up turning into the kind of concessionfest that inevitably put the EU's backs up and delivered insubstantial benefits options.

As soon as the debate became about 'exceptionalism', it headed down a wrong path.

All EU members agree the EU needs reform. They don't agree what that reform should be. The British think reform is what they decide it to be and everyone else is backward for not doing what the British tell them to do. Cameron's speech and your comment are typical of this assumption.
    The EU talk a good game on reform, then sneer and whine at 'populists' and moan about the UK not understanding them (the reverse is apparently never true). If they could live up to their dream it would be ok, but they clearly do not mean it when they talk about reform in any meaningful sense. They way they talk about opponents of further integration, and the concerns they have, once the heat dies down shows that.

Which is fine if that is truly what they want. It's better for them if we are not in there messing about.
    To be clear, I think the UK has something to offer the EU. I agree with Alastair that Brexit is the EU's loss in that respect. I point out that EU members genuinely disagree on how the EU should be reformed so they stick with the status quo as the compromise that everyone can live with. The British saying the EU isn't interested in reform and it is bad, is neither perceptive nor useful.
    It's why the oft quoted reason for leaving the EU - that the EU is uninterested in reform - is a bad reason to leave.

That the EU doesn't work for us and we're better off on our own might be an OK reason however. It sets a context and considers the consequence.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,065

Will it cover the whole 30 seconds Jeremy Corbyn spent campaigning for Remain? And the 29 seconds Theresa May did?

They benefit from being the classic sixth stage of a project:

Enthusiasm
    Disillusionment
    Panic
    Search for the guilty
    Punishment of the innocent
    Praise and honors for the non-participants

Actually Theresa May made one speech for Remain that was informed and intelligent. She presumably disowns it now.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    FF43 said:

Actually Theresa May made one speech for Remain that was informed and intelligent. She presumably disowns it now.
    https://twitter.com/alynsmith/status/1082298467643523073?s=21
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited January 2019
    You're right, OGH, the play was spellbinding, but, to be nitpicky, it was called "This House".

FF43 said:

National interests can change.
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

This is where the discussion went wrong. Cameron's Bloomberg Speech was not about demanding concessions from Europe as if it was a zero-sum game; it was about reforming the EU to work in everyone's interests, not just whether 'Inners' or 'Outers', or Eurozone members or not (i.e. national membership positions) but the public as well. That aspiration ended up being dropped, which is how it ended up turning into the kind of concessionfest that inevitably put the EU's backs up and delivered insubstantial benefits options.

As soon as the debate became about 'exceptionalism', it headed down a wrong path.

All EU members agree the EU needs reform. They don't agree what that reform should be. The British think reform is what they decide it to be and everyone else is backward for not doing what the British tell them to do. Cameron's speech and your comment are typical of this assumption.
    The EU talk a good game on reform, then sneer and whine at 'populists' and moan about the UK not understanding them (the reverse is apparently never true). If they could live up to their dream it would be ok, but they clearly do not mean it when they talk about reform in any meaningful sense. They way they talk about opponents of further integration, and the concerns they have, once the heat dies down shows that.

Which is fine if that is truly what they want. It's better for them if we are not in there messing about.
    To be clear, I think the UK has something to offer the EU. I agree with Alastair that Brexit is the EU's loss in that respect. I point out that EU members genuinely disagree on how the EU should be reformed so they stick with the status quo as the compromise that everyone can live with. The British saying the EU isn't interested in reform and it is bad, is neither perceptive nor useful.
    It's why the oft quoted reason for leaving the EU - that the EU is uninterested in reform - is a bad reason to leave.

That the EU doesn't work for us and we're better off on our own might be an OK reason however. It sets a context and considers the consequence.
    One leads to the other.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I'll be watching the docudrama about shocking criminal behaviour.

Manhunt. I mean Manhunt.
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

But apparently not enough to justify a second referendum.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Just about to start, Cumberbatch's portrayal of Cummings is said to be uncanny
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited January 2019
    Good thing is its ripe for a sequel when we know what the hell ultimately happened with Brexit.
    Fenman said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

They can. She's not there yet. She might be in a few weeks, despite claims to the contrary. Personally I don't have a problem if, deep down, she still thinks we should have remained. But nor do I if she thinks that, but also thinks that the result requires we leave rather than be abandoned because it has gotten hard.

And frankly the argument that people have changed their minds and that's why we need another one is one of the worst arguments for it, because they can change their minds again, and reveals that people only care about the people when they will give the right result. One is needed because parliament will fail to decide, not for any other reason.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Manhunt for me too.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2019
    More brexit. No thanks. interview with Jonathan haidt for me.
    kle4 said:

Fenman said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

They can. She's not there yet. She might be in a few weeks, despite claims to the contrary. Personally I don't have a problem if, deep down, she still thinks we should have remained. But nor do I if she thinks that, but also thinks that the result requires we leave rather than be abandoned because it has gotten hard.

And frankly the argument that people have changed their minds and that's why we need another one is one of the worst arguments for it, because they can change their minds again, and reveals that people only care about the people when they will give the right result. One is needed because parliament will fail to decide, not for any other reason.
    True. Parliament could also ignore the referendum result on that basis. (Difficult though).
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

She is preparing us for a no deal.Brexit
  • Half-baked: what Greggs’ vegan sausage roll says about Brexit Britain

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jan/07/greggs-vegan-sausage-roll-brexit-britain-culture-wars

Not sure what to say....
  • Liverpool out of the cup
  • Liverpool out of the cup

Didn’t watch it and it was Liverpool reserve team, but wolves are very impressive team that plays some lovely football.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Liverpool out of the cup

Strange from Klopp. If it's three days before a Champions League game in Munich, I can understand it. But they've just lost to Man City, now they've lost another game. Losing can become a habit.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,275
    tlg86 said:

Liverpool out of the cup

Strange from Klopp. If it's three days before a Champions League game in Munich, I can understand it. But they've just lost to Man City, now they've lost another game. Losing can become a habit.
    Hopefully! :lol:
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    edited January 2019
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I have spent several hours over the weekend delving into the PB archives for the week following Theresa May's election announcement. I was particularly struck by the Panelbase Poll carried out in Scotland and published on 23rd April 2017. The effect on many contributors was pretty orgasmic - SNP 44% Con 33% Lab 13% LD 5%. Just over 6 weeks later the outcome was SNP 36.9% Con 28.6% Lab 27.1% LD 6.8%.
    Labour actually did very well to more than double its vote share over such a short period.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2019
    tlg86 said:

Liverpool out of the cup

It will be a terrible shame if they don’t end up winning any silverware this season...absolutely terrible.
  • Hannan having a twitter prolapse.
  • Hannan having a twitter prolapse.

And the pope is still catholic....
    Surely most potential viewers will be recording it so that they can zip through the adverts?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,749
    dr_spyn said:
    I think we should have a referendum on this, with three options: Raise, Lower, Remain, er, stay the same.

And it should be conducted under AV.

If only there was a PB figure with an interest in such matters who could write a thread header to start campaigning for it.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009

Hannan having a twitter prolapse.

I wonder, whether are the purest Little Englanders born? Is it Lima? Or is it New York? Or is it only the native New Yorkers of Turkish/German ancestry?

Good thing is its ripe for a sequel when we know what the hell ultimately happened with Brexit.

Presumably the seqel will be based on Shippers' Fall Out.
    dr_spyn said:
    I think the voting age should be lowered to 60. Above that, it is obvious that brexitism becomes a serious issue and all sound judgement is lost
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    I'm enjoying the programme, but I guess the fact that my team wins is making me a non-impartial viewer.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

I'm enjoying the programme, but I guess the fact that my team wins is making me a non-impartial viewer.

I thought you were on Corbyn’s team?

You haven't seen the sequel yet!

The Brussels Empire Strikes Back?

That's right, he is: Leave.
  • So far this is the first Channel Four programme which is not biased to Remain.
  • dr_spyn said:
    I think the voting age should be lowered to 60. Above that, it is obvious that brexitism becomes a serious issue and all sound judgement is lost
    I am 75 and voted remain and my wife is nearly 80 and voted remain.

You are not going to disinfranchise us are you
  • Surely most potential viewers will be recording it so that they can zip through the adverts?

Or start posting on PB during the ads. Like this.

I'm Labour Leave, but crushing the Tories is waaaay more important than whether we Brexit or not.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Like watching In Which We Serve.
  • I'm enjoying the programme, but I guess the fact that my team wins is making me a non-impartial viewer.

Followed by Return of the Bojo?

May the farce be with you.

It's certainly with us all at the moment.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

dr_spyn said:
    Nonsense, look at the facts

Head of state - woman
    PM - woman
    First minister - woman
    NI FM . DfM - woman woman

no wonder were in the shit all they do is talk about shoes all day

disenfranchise females now !
    edited January 2019
    Jaywick!!

Will isam feature?

dr_spyn said:

Head of state - woman
    PM - woman
    First minister - woman

I think you have missed your natural era by a few centuries Alan. :wink:

dr_spyn said:

Head of state - woman
    PM - woman
    First minister - woman

Im from Ulster every day is the 1600s :-)
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Should that be "May the Farce"?
  • MTimT said:

The Farts Awakens?
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049

dr_spyn said:

Stop bragging to us here about your toyboy antics.....
  • MTimT said:

The Farts Awakens?
    The Last Gammon?
    tlg86 said:

Liverpool out of the cup

Compare and contrast with Man City in this competition...and we've got a semi final on Thursday...

You have to love Pep..he is head and shoulders above anyone else..
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231
    I understand the position that one should gain knowledge even if unpleasant, and there is a duty to find out the facts. So I should be watching Sherlock Brexit. But I really can't raise the energy. Can some kind soul who is watching it please tell me if there's anything in it that isn't in "All-out War"?
  • dr_spyn said:

Head of state - woman
    PM - woman
    First minister - woman

Even in Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal? ;)
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FF43 said:

Was that the one where she said she'd like to be able to ignore the European Court of Justice?
  • Jaywick!!

Will isam feature?

iSam is more of a Havering kind of bloke :)
    Completely off topic (sorry) but this article is fascinating.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/dec/30/children-leukaemia-mel-greaves-microbes-protection-against-disease

Yet another indicator that we are raising children in environments that are too clean.
  • MTimT said:

The Farts Awakens?
    The Last Gammon?
    The Phantom Brexit!

dr_spyn said:

Head of state - woman
    PM - woman
    First minister - woman

my mother was from Monaghan my cousin lives in Cavan, thats 1500s

MTimT said:

The Farts Awakens?
    The Last Gammon?
    The Phantom Brexit!
    Now that could well come true!

I would not know, what with being blocked by him.
  • MTimT said:

The Farts Awakens?
    The Last Gammon?
    The Phantom Brexit!
    Rogue 117?
    Alistair said:

I would not know, what with being blocked by him.
    You're not missing much.
  • tyson said:

dr_spyn said:

Where I went 54 years ago Macron followed !!!!

dr_spyn said:

Head of state - woman
    PM - woman
    First minister - woman

They are still building stone circles in Kerry :D:D
  • MTimT said:

The Farts Awakens?
    The Last Gammon?
    The Phantom Brexit!
    Attack of the Drones?
    edited January 2019
    Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Was that the one where she said she'd like to be able to ignore the European Court of Justice?
    My mistake it was the one where she said we should leave the ECHR and heavily criticised the ECJ.

The entire speech is a leadership bid pitched at Leavers that sought to undermine David Cameron's Remain message.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I'm finding the style of this programme difficult to watch.

tyson said:

dr_spyn said:

54 years comrade.......on the night of our great World Cup Win in 1966...you were probably celebrating with your good lady...

Congrats to you both....

dr_spyn said:

Head of state - woman
    PM - woman
    First minister - woman

Your mother was alive in the 1500s?!

dr_spyn said:

Head of state - woman
    PM - woman
    First minister - woman

Time for wigs on the green...
    AndyJS said:

It's very Lindsey Andersen, he of "If" and "Oh Lucky Man"....

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Oh Christ: that bad?
  • tyson said:

tyson said:

dr_spyn said:

54 years comrade.......on the night of our great World Cup Win in 1966...you were probably celebrating with your good lady...

Congrats to you both....
    Actually married in 1964 at 20 years of age, my wife and I and my father were in wonderland at the World Cup Final, but just 3 months later our eldest son was born. So 1966 was a fantastic year followed by 52 more years, including 2 more children and four grandchildren

We are truely blessed

viewcode said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Oh Christ: that bad?
    Wasn't Lindsey Anderson an ideological right-winger?

That bit was rather silly - as if people didn't know the result ahead of the official announcement.

dr_spyn said:

It will not be a problem. If you recall some months back, it was decided here on PB that you should not be driving. I recall your vigorous rearguard action defending car usage in rural Wales, but with Leavers confiscating your transport, my disenfranchisement of you will not be an issue since you cannot get to the polling station. Postal ballots are out since your local Maomentum Chapter will be faking your vote to keep JC in power.
  • 'Except one bullet was fired, you moronic little c*nt.'
  • dr_spyn said:

It will not be a problem. If you recall some months back, it was decided here on PB that you should not be driving. I recall your vigorous rearguard action defending car usage in rural Wales, but with Leavers confiscating your transport, my disenfranchisement of you will not be an issue since you cannot get to the polling station. Postal ballots are out since your local Maomentum Chapter will be faking your vote to keep JC in power.
    I dont recall the driving bit and we can walk to our polling station if necessary
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    So what happens to the euro elections?

dr_spyn said:

I dont recall the driving bit and we can walk to our polling station if necessary
    Don't worry Big_G no one's going to be taking your vote away - you might well be using it this year!

dr_spyn said:

Stop messing with my plans for taking over the UK...
    Channel 4 revert to type in the last 30 seconds of the show

'It wasn't fair!'
  • ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    I think we should have a referendum on this, with three options: Raise, Lower, Remain, er, stay the same.

And it should be conducted under AV.

If only there was a PB figure with an interest in such matters who could write a thread header to start campaigning for it.
    The same AV rejected by UK voters in 2011 by 68% to 32%? That AV? :lol:
  • dr_spyn said:

Don't worry Big_G no one's going to be taking your vote away - you might well be using it this year!
    Indeed - 2022 seems a long way away both at our age and in political terms
    timmo said:

So what happens to the euro elections?
    If it's an extension, nothing.
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

MTimT said:

The Farts Awakens?
    The Last Gammon?
    The Phantom Brexit!
    Attack of the Drones?
    Going Solo - a Brexit story
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited January 2019

dr_spyn said:

Stop messing with my plans for taking over the UK...
    Sorry !!!!!

And just past 20,000 posts . Amazing
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Just decided to take a look at the spreadsheet which correctly predicted how 289 out of 326 districts in England would vote at the EU referendum.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hCtN3IY76azcr_6OiFPvZI0eXi_8JJqxT7d8vNhW2Do/edit#gid=0
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Just saw the end . Was it all that bad?
This discussion has been closed.