Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Layla Moran now becomes favourite to become next LD leader

Comments

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Having only been able to glance at this Bercow matter it seems pretty obvious that whatever the rights or wrongs of his decision it's not helped because everyone knows his motivationfor the decision is guided by much more than the high principles he pretends, but that the government's motivations are likewise wider in motivation against him personally.

And since it's narrow politics dressed up as principle, the whole affair will go nowhere other than yet more bitterness, entrenching the sides, with the speaker an outright opponent of the government.

Quite. Impotent fulmination from the ERG bench will change nothing. If you want the Speaker to change, then you have to change the Speaker. Mrs Leadsom?
    I don't even like Bercow, or his reasoning sometimes, but it is what it is and yelling about it won't add anything to things now.
    Raising lots of points of order is one of the ways the ERG let off steam, but the amendment is still on the order paper and will still go to a vote whatever happens.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

You think the government hasn't thought through its possible responses already? If not, what has it been doing with the last month? It's not as though it's been doing anything else.

I suspect that their plan is to go back to the EU after the vote (the EU have already hinted that any concessions won't come until then). So it is possible that having only three days is a serious issue.
    The House of Commons does not have to be the passive audience of a Noh theatre display between the government and the EU. If there's more to be had, let's see it now.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Having only been able to glance at this Bercow matter it seems pretty obvious that whatever the rights or wrongs of his decision it's not helped because everyone knows his motivationfor the decision is guided by much more than the high principles he pretends, but that the government's motivations are likewise wider in motivation against him personally.

And since it's narrow politics dressed up as principle, the whole affair will go nowhere other than yet more bitterness, entrenching the sides, with the speaker an outright opponent of the government.

Quite. Impotent fulmination from the ERG bench will change nothing. If you want the Speaker to change, then you have to change the Speaker. Mrs Leadsom?
    That's not supposed to be the standard though. The Speaker is meant in this country to be neutral not changed to match your views. I would not view the government replacing a neutral speaker with an American style one but that is what you and Bercow are encouraging.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,567

Comps are generally crap and are not a badge of honour.
    Mine wasn't and being the second person from mine to get into Oxford I feel is a badge of honour (even if a lot of it was down to luck).
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Yorker said:

It's not the job of the speaker to be a cheerleader for the government, but it's also not the job of the speaker to be a cheerleader against the government.

That is where Bercow now is.

Remainers have really shown they will do anything to thwart Brexit.
    Brexiteers really, REALLY don't want Parliament to take back control, do they?

As nasty little fascists they only want it to take back control if it agrees with their interpretation of the "will-o-the-people". What they would like is a strong man (yes certainly a man) in charge, someone like, say, Putin to remove parliament. Yes he is a good role model, and he agrees with Brexit
    Says supporter of various anti semites. Is it too much to ask for parliament to respect a public vote that they themselves voted to have? How fascist!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    RoyalBlue said:

Our system of government is broken beyond repair. Conventions are worthless when the principals have no principles.

No system of government can long survive mutual contempt between its actors.
  • Options

You think the government hasn't thought through its possible responses already? If not, what has it been doing with the last month? It's not as though it's been doing anything else.

I suspect that their plan is to go back to the EU after the vote (the EU have already hinted that any concessions won't come until then). So it is possible that having only three days is a serious issue.
    The House of Commons does not have to be the passive audience of a Noh theatre display between the government and the EU. If there's more to be had, let's see it now.
    There's no more to be had right now. Only chance to get more is after the deal is rejected having clearly put all efforts into passing it.
  • Options

You'd better make that point directly to Barnier, to avoid any unfortunate misunderstandings.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Bringing up that Putin supports Brexit is idiotic in this context. The only acceptable thing to do for any Brit who has any influence over Brexit is to totally ignore what foreign actors want, including Putin, and decide their conscience on what should or should not be done.

If you want to argue against foreign influence in a matter, you don't use foreign preferences in the debate. You can bet that she would not have mentioned Putin at all if Putin's views coincided with hers.

Putin wants to sow disharmony in the West. He's supported Brexit and Trump and it will be interesting to see what Robert Mueller adds to our knowledge in these matters.
    Of course it's valid to point out when our leaders are taking actions which are against the county's interests (and those of the now electorate) but are in the interests of our enemies.
    And as I said on the previous thread, people calling for the result of the referendum to be ignored and for us to remain in - especially without another referendum - want a result Putin would be very happy with, and one that is not in the country's interests. For it would not end the chaos.

We really are in a sh*t position. Thanks, Brexiteers, you bunch of stinking winnets.
    I think you are right. Putin is happy whatever the eventual outcome. To twist a quite well known Black Sabbath song: "Putin laughing spreads his wings - oh Lord yeh", as Ozzie might have said
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Hark, the impotent howls of rage from the Brexit Buccaneers, the most delightful sound of all.

Behold, the glee, nay joy, on the lips of Bercow. He's been planning this for weeks, maybe months. And he's lapping up every last luscious second of it.

Here is the man who will let Parliament Take Back Control. A towering godhead in a room of tiny little men.

John Bercow, you are a national hero and your name shall resound throughout the annals.

Love your satire! But Bercow has been properly done like a kipper today. When even the Independent is gunning for Bercow you know he's in a right mess!
    The amendment is going to a vote, and the government will lose it. There's a reason they're so furious.

Parliament has precisely one way to stop Bercow. A motion of confidence. If the government is really that desperate to stop Parliament from Taking Back Control, then why doesn't it move a motion of no confidence in the speaker?

Because he'd win. And he knows it. And they know it.

This is why Bercow has the smirk on his face.
    He certainly didnt have a smirk on his face after Leadsom and Rees Mogg destroyed him!
    What does it matter? He'll be speaker tomorrow and for as long as it's in the interests of most of parliament to keep him there or he quits.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Bercows car sticker raised

And it's his wife's. That just about puts you on the same level as Holloway, Big G, and that's not a great place to be.
    Not really.

Bercow has lost any pretence at being impartial and now is firmly seen as as wanting to stop brexit
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Would be hilarious if the amendment doesn’t pass.

Given the closeness of last night, I think that has a smallish chance...
  • Options

Brom said:

Brom said:

Hark, the impotent howls of rage from the Brexit Buccaneers, the most delightful sound of all.

Behold, the glee, nay joy, on the lips of Bercow. He's been planning this for weeks, maybe months. And he's lapping up every last luscious second of it.

Here is the man who will let Parliament Take Back Control. A towering godhead in a room of tiny little men.

John Bercow, you are a national hero and your name shall resound throughout the annals.

Love your satire! But Bercow has been properly done like a kipper today. When even the Independent is gunning for Bercow you know he's in a right mess!
    The amendment is going to a vote, and the government will lose it. There's a reason they're so furious.

Parliament has precisely one way to stop Bercow. A motion of confidence. If the government is really that desperate to stop Parliament from Taking Back Control, then why doesn't it move a motion of no confidence in the speaker?

He certainly didnt have a smirk on his face after Leadsom and Rees Mogg destroyed him!
    I would have called Bercow's expression to JRM as "smirk". Because it's like, you may have your copy of Erskine May, but I'm the ACTUAL SPEAKER, BITCH.

The amendment will carry, and Bercow's hero status will go up another star.
    Hi George Osborne!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

No, it will pass. It makes much more sense than last night's wrecking motion.
  • Options

If this is, as Mrs May claims, the best possible deal, then there's nothing to negotiate. Three days should be more than enough.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

WHat happens if the Gov't doesn't return 3 days after it loses the vote - or simply returns and says it'll try again; or says it'll return err "tommorow" ?

My understanding, FWIW, is that the government has 21 days in which to get the MV passed, failing which it has to make a statement about what it intends to do next. S13(4) of the EU Withdrawal Act states:
    A Minister of the Crown must, within the period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the House of Commons decides not to pass the resolution, make a statement setting out how Her Majesty’s Government proposes to proceed in relation to negotiations for the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the EU under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union.

I am not sure that there is a limit on how many goes it can have in that 21 days. The approval of the package (not just the WA), however, is a condition precedent of further progress in the ratification of the agreement.
    There is no sanction under the legislation, other than of moral force, that comes from the government losing a vote on the statement it has to make if the vote on the WA is lost (nor, in practice, can there be).
  • Options
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,816
    edited January 2019
    TOPPING said:

Not sure about Layla Moran, but I would happily see Rachel Riley as leader of the Labour Party.

Surely you mean the Labor Party in Israel

She isnt a member of the British Labour Party now.

BTW the court case brought against Corbyn being an Anti Semite has been withdrawn hasn't it?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

What does it matter? He'll be speaker tomorrow and for as long as it's in the interests of most of parliament to keep him there or he quits.
    Well I don't remember Bothroyd being embarrassed like this. I guess it's fitting that we have an awful speaker given the awful MPs we have.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184
    edited January 2019

TOPPING said:

And it's his wife's. That just about puts you on the same level as Holloway, Big G, and that's not a great place to be.
    Not really.

Bercow has lost any pretence at being impartial and now is firmly seen as as wanting to stop brexit
    You're on the wrong side of this one Big G. Allow your natural sense of justice and cool eye for common sense to prevail.

Parliament will be voting, not Bercow. You know, the whole take back control thing. What are you scared of?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

Mortimer said:

What's to prevent the govt coming back in 3 days saying it is seeking g further assurances from the eu
  • Options
    BF should have a market -

who exists first, May or Bercow?

Will May make it to 29 March? Will Bercow? Who knows.
  • Options

kle4 said:

That's not supposed to be the standard though. The Speaker is meant in this country to be neutral not changed to match your views. I would not view the government replacing a neutral speaker with an American style one but that is what you and Bercow are encouraging.
    Why not replace with a neutral?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Not really.

You're on the wrong side of this one Big G. Allow your natural sense of justice and cool eye for common sense to prevail.

Parliament will be voting, not Bercow. You know, the whole take back control thing. What are you scared of?
    I think you misunderstand what he happened. Bercow refusing to publish his own advice after perusing the government to publish theirs. He's getting criticism from all sides and yet one or two on here fawn over Bercow like he's their boyfriend.
  • Options
    The cat is alive.
    The cat is dead.
    The cat is alive.
    The cat is dead.
    The cat is alive.
    The cat is dead.
    The cat is alive.
    The cat is dead.
    The cat is alive.
    The cat is dead.
  • Options
    Voting on the amendment now
  • Options
    The amendment will pass. This is the news cycle for the day. Unstoppable force of nature John Bercow ambushes government in brutal sneak attack. Brexit Buccaneers spitting blood as Parliament Takes Back Control.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Yorker said:

It's not the job of the speaker to be a cheerleader for the government, but it's also not the job of the speaker to be a cheerleader against the government.

As nasty little fascists they only want it to take back control if it agrees with their interpretation of the "will-o-the-people". What they would like is a strong man (yes certainly a man) in charge, someone like, say, Putin to remove parliament. Yes he is a good role model, and he agrees with Brexit
    Says supporter of various anti semites. Is it too much to ask for parliament to respect a public vote that they themselves voted to have? How fascist!
    WTF are you on about you idiot? I am a Tory, ex activist. I have written numerous posts attacking thicko Corbyn and his band of anti-Semites (it's hyphenated and has a capital P). Even with your level of stupidity you really have no idea how completely moronic your post was. No wonder Putin loves people like you.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

What's to prevent the govt coming back in 3 days saying it is seeking g further assurances from the eu
    This is exactly what will happen and there is nothing to stop it. Surprised Grieve couldn't didnt consider this. Ultimately only a vote of no confidence will end Brexit and the government - and I doubt Grieve would support that even if he paves the path for it.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited January 2019

Yorker said:

You mean taking back control from the voters so MPs can return control back to Brussels?

As they had been doing for two decades with often little scrutiny on particularly secondary legislation before the referendum.
  • Options
    Grieve amendment Division.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

As I understand it, the Grieve amendment would require the government to hold a parliamentary vote on what happens next, within three days.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Layla Moran, the LibDem's Leanne Wood.....

I agree. From the press she gets in the Oxford Mail, she seems obsessed with identity politics and little else and comes over as very lightweight. The comments sections predictably call her "Layla Moron" and routinely rip apart her statements.
    That's how the lib dems operate..
    Look at Brake Davey Farron it's just about them
  • Options

Comps are generally crap and are not a badge of honour.
    Mine wasn't and being the second person from mine to get into Oxford I feel is a badge of honour (even if a lot of it was down to luck).
    There are comprehensives and comprehensives. Some are more equal than others clearly. Well done on going to Oxford, I'm sure your Mum was delighted.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Berrcow destroyed the MP accusing him of a sticker in his car.
    Explained it was his wife's car and he does not control her views.

Spot on.
    Why is she parking her car in his work place car park spot?
    They live opposite a tube station with numerous bus stops - why do they even need a car?!
  • Options

Brom said:

Yorker said:

WTF are you on about you idiot? I am a Tory, ex activist. I have written numerous posts attacking thicko Corbyn and his band of anti-Semites (it's hyphenated and has a capital P). Even with your level of stupidity you really have no idea how completely moronic your post was. No wonder Putin loves people like you.
    Yeah sure you are! I can only imagine what reaction you would get door knocking with your obnoxious views. You're just some weird bloke with an unsavoury post history who thinks everyone who disagrees with him is a fascist or a spy for Putin. It's a surefire way to lose the argument.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,900
    Guardian says MP's are now voting on the Grieve amendment.
  • Options
    timmo said:

I agree. From the press she gets in the Oxford Mail, she seems obsessed with identity politics and little else and comes over as very lightweight. The comments sections predictably call her "Layla Moron" and routinely rip apart her statements.
    Given the boundary changes have still not gone through, Moran is very vulnerable to a slight uptick in the Labour or Tory vote...
  • Options
    Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Not really.

I think you misunderstand what he happened. Bercow refusing to publish his own advice after perusing the government to publish theirs. He's getting criticism from all sides and yet one or two on here fawn over Bercow like he's their boyfriend.
    I understand very clearly. Some loon-o-Cons are grumpy because he has ruled on something that they wish he hadn't ruled on and have lined up to tell him how it wasn't like this in 1756. Well how about bollocks.

Dominic Grieve (CON) put up the amendment and Bercow, alive to the current situation of British politics and indeed the country, agreed to let it go through.

Bizarre comment about his boyfriend.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Remain Diva.

I hadn't heard that label until today.

Brexit Divas and Remain Divas :)
  • Options
    Result of the Grieve Amendment expected at 2:20.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

TOPPING said:

Not sure about Layla Moran, but I would happily see Rachel Riley as leader of the Labour Party.

BTW the court case brought against Corbyn being an Anti Semite has been withdrawn hasn't it?
    What a fucking arsehole you are BJO.

Edit: I would have said c&nt but that type of language is not allowed on here.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What's rattled your cage? Some celebrity idiot off Countdown isn't worth getting stressed over.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,788
    What would happen is TM didn't go the Parliament within three days?

Would the Men In Tights call round to Downing Street and arrest her? :D
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,868

MTimT said:

Bringing up that Putin supports Brexit is idiotic in this context. The only acceptable thing to do for any Brit who has any influence over Brexit is to totally ignore what foreign actors want, including Putin, and decide their conscience on what should or should not be done.

If you want to argue against foreign influence in a matter, you don't use foreign preferences in the debate. You can bet that she would not have mentioned Putin at all if Putin's views coincided with hers.

Putin wants to sow disharmony in the West. He's supported Brexit and Trump and it will be interesting to see what Robert Mueller adds to our knowledge in these matters.
    Of course it's valid to point out when our leaders are taking actions which are against the county's interests (and those of the now electorate) but are in the interests of our enemies.
    And as I said on the previous thread, people calling for the result of the referendum to be ignored and for us to remain in - especially without another referendum - want a result Putin would be very happy with, and one that is not in the country's interests. For it would not end the chaos.

We really are in a sh*t position. Thanks, Brexiteers, you bunch of stinking winnets.
    I think you are right. Putin is happy whatever the eventual outcome. To twist a quite well known Black Sabbath song: "Putin laughing spreads his wings - oh Lord yeh", as Ozzie might have said
    Brexit need not have been a zero-sum game for the UK and the EU. It seems many Brexiteers want to make it a very negative proposition for the UK, perhaps just because it'll be a minor negative for the EU.

And they're being ably assisted by some remainers.
  • Options
    Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What's rattled your cage? Some celebrity idiot off Countdown isn't worth getting stressed over.
    BJO is using a well-worn anti-semitic trope about Jews having split loyalty and being in the pay of Israel.

Is Rachel Riley a Jew? Who the hell knows. BJO thinks so.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Wait, you're looking for political insight in... the comments section of the Oxford Mail?

You are having, quite simply, a giraffe.

And the identity politics gibe is nonsense. Swinson is the one who's just written a book on "Gender Equality and How To Achieve It" while Moran has been campaigning on decriminalising homelessness (the Vagrancy Act).
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,701
    Mortimer said:

timmo said:

Given the boundary changes have still not gone through, Moran is very vulnerable to a slight uptick in the Labour or Tory vote...
    Let me see - four Tories lining up to attack a Lib Dem who hasn't even declared she wants to be leader yet. Why could that be?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,788
    I thought the EU had banned meme's like this? :D
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2019
    TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

BJO is using a well-worn anti-semitic trope about Jews having split loyalty and being in the pay of Israel.

She is, and is getting serious abuse on the tw@tter machine for daring to point out Labour's issues with antisemitism.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Majority of 30-40 methinks

TM loses again
  • Options
    Utterly the wrong time. It doesn't solve anything, and just creates more harmful chaos.

It'll be interesting to see how many MPs who support this supported the speaker previously. They must be ruing supporting him.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Yorker said:

Yeah sure you are! I can only imagine what reaction you would get door knocking with your obnoxious views. You're just some weird bloke with an unsavoury post history who thinks everyone who disagrees with him is a fascist or a spy for Putin. It's a surefire way to lose the argument.
    Not everyone who was gullible to vote Leave is a Putin sympathetic fascist, but there are plenty that are, and plenty of those that hold views that are very aligned with BNP. I am sure you don't think I am a Tory, in the same way that those on the Labour left assume anyone who is not a member of Momentum is not properly Labour. Much of the membership of the Tory party and the Labour party resemble an old cup of tea that has been left to fester leaving mainly scum and dregs at the bottom. This is why I am no longer an activist, but I still hold my membership and I will continue to fight to keep the Tory party out of the hands of the moronic right wing that have brought this chaos upon us.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,752
    GIN1138 said:

out of interest has Dominic Cummings been visted by the DCMS enforcers ?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No I dont.

She is accusing Jews of being Anti Semitic though
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,072
    Checking the betting:

Only a 35% chance that we Brexit by 29/3. But still a 73% chance that we do Brexit.

Hmm. Scratches head and then rubs chin. It looks like the 'one minute to midnight, a deal gets done and an extension is granted to implement it' scenario is the new 38% favourite.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Fenster said:

Remain Diva.

I hadn't heard that label until today.

Brexit Divas and Remain Divas :)
    You can't beat a catty spat between a QC and a barrister - particularly when the former has just blocked the latter on twitter because of some dispute while they were in a queue at Heathrow airport.

Viva la diva - the Eurovision winner in 1998 in Birmingham.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Well, that's one possible solution which hasn't been factored in to the betting...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I thought the EU had banned meme's like this? :D
    We're taking back control (of spicy maymays)
  • Options

Brom said:

Yorker said:

WTF are you on about you idiot? I am a Tory, ex activist. I have written numerous posts attacking thicko Corbyn and his band of anti-Semites (it's hyphenated and has a capital P).
    Anti-Pemites?

In other news:

• Options

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No I dont.

And you are happy to use a classic, one of the classic anti-semitic tropes about her.

See how easily it tripped off your tongue/keyboard?

That right there is Labour's anti-semitic problem - it is so ingrained that you deny its existence.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Mortimer said:

timmo said:

And it's worth noting that in 2017, the Labour share was virtually static, which suggests quite a high degree of tactical voting given the swing elsewhere. Only once (in 2010) since the seat was created (in 1983) has the Labour vote share in OxWaB been lower.
  • Options
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No I dont.

Quite a lot of Jews in the Southend suburb where she lives. And, or at least used to be, at the school she attended.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

She doesn't seem anything other than lightweight. No substance to her at all.
    Never have seen the appeal.
    Hard-line Tories don`t.
  • Options
    The Opposition benches look fuller than the government ones.....308 in favour 297 against.....a narrow win....
  • Options
    308-297

Friday it is then
  • Options
    Grieve amendment passes, government humiliated again, flawless Bercow victory.

Ayes: 308
    Noes: 297
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Not really.

Bercow is not a suitable speaker. However, TM deal or remain seem likely so I am content but am concerned about the divisive nature a referendum would be

The remain mps are in control and well organised. ERG are going to lose brexit due to their chaotic organisation
  • Options

Bercow wins the battle but sounds like he's losing the war.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Majority of 30-40 methinks
    Up to a point Lord Copper.....but just 11......
  • Options

The Opposition benches look fuller than the government ones.....308 in favour 297 against.....a narrow win....

I'm surprised that the margin was that small.
  • Options
    So May and Barclay have 10 days to think about Plan B.
  • Options

Brenda of Bristol....cancel that spring trip to the Costa del Sol.
  • Options

Bercow’s antics helped limit the rebellion.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Bercow's demise had been predicted before, and it hasn't happened. I'd bet for him going at a time of his own choice - and that he'll settle some scores in the meantime.
  • Options

Yes, probably.
  • Options

Brom said:

Bercow's demise had been predicted before, and it hasn't happened. I'd bet for him going at a time of his own choice - and that he'll settle some scores in the meantime.
    I haven't predicted them before, the fact he's had to announce when he is leaving is a setback for him, with surely more to follow.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,488
    PClipp said:

Hard-line Tories don`t.
    Yes, It is hard to see how Layla appeals when you are a Brexiteer Toryboy young fogey, who lost a seat to her.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

And then we move straight to Stephen Barclay's speech opening the debate.

I believe the amendment requires the PM to come back to the house within 3 sitting days - couldn't the Government give MPs a few days off to give her more time? In practice parliament isn't sitting on Friday week so May would in practice get nearly a calendar week.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,752

me too

in the last 2 votes its been fairly tight. It looks like only 610-615 MPs are voting, so where are the other 30 or so - paired off, abstaining ?
  • Options

Days since government defeat in the Commons = 0
  • Options

Brenda of Bristol....cancel that spring trip to the Costa del Sol.
    Easter Weekend 19th-22 April. Spring Bank Holiday May 6th. Local Elections May 2nd.

Hmm.
  • Options

308-297

Friday it is then

I’d say this tomfoolery justifies delaying the vote again, frankly.
  • Options

I too thought it would be 20+, and others thought it would be even higher. I wonder if Bercows antics brought some on the government side into line....

While 11 is clearly a "loss" its hardly a "humiliation"....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,683

Without his antics there wouldn't have been a rebellion.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,925
    edited January 2019
    I can't see Labour allowing a No Deal Brexit to occur while an election was taking place and 2 thirds of Parliament have to vote for an election...
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No I dont.

Rachel Riley is Jewish.

The moment she unveiled it on Twitter the usual Corbyn-supporting Jew-baiting lot piled on her.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    PClipp said:

Hard-line Tories don`t.
    Except I am not a hard-line Tory. I am an OxWAb voter who was not impressed by her at any point since she was selected. No actual substance to any of her positions. No rhetorical skill. No real world experience to add to the House. A deeply bland candidate.

I have voted for a range of candidates over the past 30 years including Con and LD. But can't support Moran

• Options

Sky were saying that TM was intending responding before the 21 days and no doubt she will provide a statement within the 3 days but in the end, and as Bercow confirmed, a statue has to be put in place to stop no deal and only TM can do that at this time
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

308-297

Friday it is then

I’d say this tomfoolery justifies delaying the vote again, frankly.
    That is not possible now.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

And then we move straight to Stephen Barclay's speech opening the debate.

I believe the amendment requires the PM to come back to the house within 3 sitting days - couldn't the Government give MPs a few days off to give her more time? In practice parliament isn't sitting on Friday week so May would in practice get nearly a calendar week.
    What say does the Speaker have on the days that the House is sitting?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

timmo said:

And it's worth noting that in 2017, the Labour share was virtually static, which suggests quite a high degree of tactical voting given the swing elsewhere. Only once (in 2010) since the seat was created (in 1983) has the Labour vote share in OxWaB been lower.
    She's broadly a social liberal - much more palatable to Labour voters (and the Greens, who stood aside in OxWAb) than a former Coalition minister would be.

I've spent a bit of time looking at the boundary changes for the seat and I think she'd retain it assuming there are no dramatic changes from current polling. Yes, she's toast if Jericho, Summertown and Osney suddenly decide to vote for a Tory party that's been merrily advancing the cause of Brexit for the past years, but somehow I can't see that happening. (And some of the new Cherwell wards are a lot more liberal than you might think.)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

me too

in the last 2 votes its been fairly tight. It looks like only 610-615 MPs are voting, so where are the other 30 or so - paired off, abstaining ?
    Some of the Conservative MPs who are opposed to no-deal are not voting against the government at this stage (nor will they vote against the deal itself). What they do afterwards will be of more interest.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Chortle.

Yet another vote lost by the government.

This is becoming a very unfortunate habit.
  • Options
    If further concessions are coming then I hope we have warned Barnier, Macron, Merkel, et al to make themselves available next week.
This discussion has been closed.