Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the Betfair exchange its now a 69% chance the the UK WON’T

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the Betfair exchange its now a 69% chance the the UK WON’T exit the EU at the end of March

Follow @MSmithsonPB // < ![CDATA[ // < ![CDATA[ xfunction(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(https://politicalwire.com/2018/04/15/stormy-daniels-will-be-at-cohens-court-hearing/!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs"); // ]]>

Read the full story here

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,763
    This is being overplayed. Its almost tempting

Fnarr, fnarr.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    The funniest part about the Mann amendment is that it would commit Corbyn to follow existing state aid rules xD
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    When's the big vote again?
  • RobD said:

Tuesday
  • Pulpstar said:

The funniest part about the Mann amendment is that it would commit Corbyn to follow existing state aid rules xD

Fantastic. I'd vote for that amendment.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,274
    edited January 2019
    DavidL said:

This is being overplayed. Its almost tempting

Au contraire, I suspect the only chance of there being no delay is if May's deal goes through first time. I can't really see that being anything close to a 31% probability.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Nice.
  • The French really are in the premier league when it comes to protesting....

Members of the "yellow vests" protest movement have vandalised almost 60% of France's entire speed camera network, the interior minister has said.
    Pulpstar said:

Yes but it would also rip the heart out of the faintly ridiculous speech that he made today. I think that the only thing that would be left would be a permanent customs union. AIUI the EU are not particularly minded to give us that even if we ask nicely, certainly not without some money in the pot.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    At this rate the Betfair exchange graph will be looking like it did on 23rd/24th June 2016 on 29th/30th March. :D
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Ooh, that's starting to get tempting past 2/1 that we leave on time.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    RobD said:

Depends on when they set the new referendum day. No other vote is very big.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Pulpstar said:

He won't give a fuck. He'll break the rules and borrow more money to pay the fines.
    GIN1138 said:

At this rate the Betfair exchange graph will be looking like it did on 23rd/24th June 2016 on 29th/30th March. :D

This one?
    Sandpit said:

Ooh, that's starting to get tempting past 2/1 that we leave on time.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. It's odds against now but those are pretty generous odds given Parliament will have to jump through several hoops to get there and seems to have tied the shoe laces of its clown shoes together for a laugh.
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?
    What a night! :D

#NeverForget
    edited January 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget
    Memories is all we will have from it as we are getting no outcome
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget
    What a Christmas that paid for..unlike this year, where the failure of the US Ryder Cup team meant we were more like Tiny Tim's family*.

* Only joking, the idiot fans of Conor McGregor contributed handsomely to the old Christmas kitty.
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget
    Memories is all we will have from it as we are getting no outcome
    Lets wait and see about that...
    edited January 2019

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget
    What a Christmas that paid for..unlike this year, where the failure of the US Ryder Cup team meant we were more like Tiny Tim's family.
    Not a good bet on Americans being anything but crap away from home.

FPT, I like your thinking on cricket, an Ashes tour is definitely on the bucket list but need to finish the F1 season first. Baku and hopefully Hungary for this year.
  • Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget
    What a Christmas that paid for..unlike this year, where the failure of the US Ryder Cup team meant we were more like Tiny Tim's family.

FPT, I like your thinking on cricket, an Ashes tour is definitely on the bucket list but need to finish the F1 season first. Baku and hopefully Hungary for this year.
    Only ever go on an Ashes tour where we're not likely to get gubbed 5 nil.

2006/07 and Adelaide in particular is forever seared on my memory.
    edited January 2019
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget

Well I know that now :-)

At the time, I just couldn't see how the European's could win, the teams were so lopsided in terms of talent and the French course was very American in style.

But the American's to a man decided to play like your local 28 handicap hacker on a Sunday morning combined with crazy team strategy (e.g. playing Tiger Woods every match), while some of the Europeans played better golf than they have ever (and will ever) play.

I mean Poulter has hardly made a cut for 2 years and then it turns up and never loses.

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget

Only ever go on an Ashes tour where we're not likely to get gubbed 5 nil.

2006/07 and Adelaide in particular is forever seared on my memory.
    Ah, good point! That was a truly horrible tour, made even worse by the massive expectations on the team following the historic 2005 win.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    FPT did someone say KLOBUCHAR? The case for her is:

* Good at getting Republicans to vote for her - see https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/01/02/politics/democrats-2020-electability-elizabeth-warren-amy-klobuchar-sherrod-brown/index.html
    * Strong legislative record, has a good versiom of the "getting things done across the aisle" story that all successful presidential candidates before Trump told (and even Trump did "art of the deal")
    * Appeals to mid-western states that Trump took off the Dems, and also promising for Iowa
    * Good performance against Kavanaugh, unlike Harris who set him up for a big reveal then didn't reveal anything
    * Nice combination of no-bullshit, down-to-earth and just enough emotion. This is a tightrope for women candidates, especially on the left: They're not supposed to be "strident", but they're also not allowed to be weak. See: https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1082842722770182145

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget

At the time, I just couldn't see how the European's could win, the teams were so lopsided in terms of talent and the French course was very American in style.

But the American's to a man decided to play like your local 28 handicap hacker on a Sunday morning combined with crazy team strategy (e.g. playing Tiger Woods every match), while some of the Europeans played better golf than they have ever (and will ever) play.
    There's nothing wrong with being a 28-handicap club hacker, I'll have you know! ;)
  • Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget

There's nothing wrong with being a 28-handicap club hacker, I'll have you know! ;)
    That week you probably had a chance to beat Tiger Woods he was that shit.
    edited January 2019
    Ring provided its Ukraine-based research and development team virtually unfettered access to a folder on Amazon’s S3 cloud storage service that contained every video created by every Ring camera around the world. This would amount to an enormous list of highly sensitive files that could be easily browsed and viewed. Downloading and sharing these customer video files would have required little more than a click.

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Is it mandatory to write KLOBUCHAR in upper case?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,061

FPT did someone say KLOBUCHAR? The case for her is:

* Good at getting Republicans to vote for her - see https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/01/02/politics/democrats-2020-electability-elizabeth-warren-amy-klobuchar-sherrod-brown/index.html
    * Strong legislative record, has a good versiom of the "getting things done across the aisle" story that all successful presidential candidates before Trump told (and even Trump did "art of the deal")
    * Appeals to mid-western states that Trump took off the Dems, and also promising for Iowa
    * Good performance against Kavanaugh, unlike Harris who set him up for a big reveal then didn't reveal anything
    * Nice combination of no-bullshit, down-to-earth and just enough emotion. This is a tightrope for women candidates, especially on the left: They're not supposed to be "strident", but they're also not allowed to be weak. See: https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1082842722770182145

She also scores well on the weird name factor that is compulsory in America, though Kamala scores here too...
    Very worrying, yet entirely expected with the culture of most modern tech companies. But hey, the employees got their $1bn payday from Amazon buying them out, so everyone's happy. Except the customers.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited January 2019

Ring provided its Ukraine-based research and development team virtually unfettered access to a folder on Amazon’s S3 cloud storage service that contained every video created by every Ring camera around the world. This would amount to an enormous list of highly sensitive files that could be easily browsed and viewed. Downloading and sharing these customer video files would have required little more than a click.

I'm just off to smash my Ring camera.

I wonder how much I should sue them for?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136

Not yet, but it will become mandatory by decree in the eleventh year of her glorious reign, you might as well get used to it now.
    edited January 2019

Great gif hah.

Why on earth would you want to stick a bunch of cameras in your home that are uploaded to the cloud? If you are going to do it, link them to something like an arduino with an SD card which can be hidden quite easily.

There's me trying to work out the phrase that it stood for!
    Might want to write that a bit bigger, lads.
    edited January 2019
    RobD said:

Great gif hah.

Why on earth would you want to stick a bunch of cameras in your home that are uploaded to the cloud? If you are going to do it, link them to something like an arduino with an SD card which can be hidden quite easily.
    The thing is the future of these smart assistant like Echo and Google Home is to incorporate always on video. And they are going to use the video to help make these things more proactive. And it seems people are buying these things like they are going out of fashion.

Totally crazy if you ask me. I certainly don't have them and I am hardly a tin foil hatter, it just seems stupid security risk for what is really little gain i.e. I am not that f##king lazy not to be able to turn lights on and off myself.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Not yet, but it will become mandatory by decree in the eleventh year of her glorious reign, you might as well get used to it now.
    John Bercow will put an end to the tradition
  • GIN1138 said:
    Fraser and the telegraph may, but the important May will not lead her government into no deal
    You know it's authentic because they spelt surveyor correctly. Th at would be beyond the EDL mob.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    RobD said:

Great gif hah.

Because it's easy. Not everyone is a briefcase wanker with the time and inclination to arse about with arduinos and SD cards.
    Yeah, the executive really don't like it when the legislature takes back control.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Interesting... FT front cover is embargoed from #tomorrowspaperstoday until print publication.

GIN1138 said:
    Fraser and the telegraph may, but the important May will not lead her government into no deal
    Fraser is very well connected (as is James Forsyth) I think we have to take what he says seriously.
    Dura_Ace said:

RobD said:

Great gif hah.

Because it's easy. Not everyone is a briefcase wanker with the time and inclination to arse about with arduinos and SD cards.
    I was more that there should be an opening in the market for that sort of thing, that isn't tied to the cloud.
  • Interesting... FT front cover is embargoed from #tomorrowspaperstoday until print publication.

They do this often.

It is often a boring tedious story.

Sometimes a biggie.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

WTF is the point of leaving but being permanently tied to the rules and with no say in them?

So if a repeat of something like the Working Time Directive comes through, perhaps with a Fremch inspired 35hr limit, we would automatically adopt it, have no say and no opt outs?
    Permanently? I thought no parliament could bind its successor?
    It can if it is part of an international agreement.

While the EU have said that the agreement is final that means they're not willing to give us any more concessions. If we voluntarily agree to prostrate ourselves further binding ourselves to them more than they asked for I'm sure they'd be happy to facilitate that by adding a legally binding annex to the withdrawal agreement binding us into honouring that.
    Ah, the law is being used to direct negotiations for the future relationship? HMG can just say they tried...
    Let's imagine for a second Parliament agrees to approve the WDA on condition of UK honouring EU environment and employment laws. Then to be "helpful" Barnier says we can facilitate this, sign this legally binding annex to be added to the WDA. HMG can hardly not sign it.
    I thought there could be nothing legally binding about the future relationship in the withdrawal agreement due to sequencing?
    The backstop is about the future relationship and is legally binding. That's the issue is that the EU have put what they want to be legally binding and what we want for the future. If we sign up to following their laws in perpetuity with no votes or opt-outs I'm sure they'd be happy to make that legally binding, that's a win/win for them.
    edited January 2019
    Another former minister told the Guardian that serving ministers could stand down to vote against the deal.

If I could be forgiven crudeness for the moment, what in the ever living fuck are these clowns playing at? Why, after all this time, would someone quit now to vote against the deal?
    GIN1138 said:
    If Fraser thinks it is going to be "No Deal" we can probably all breathe a sigh of relief - it won't be No Deal.
  • kle4 said:

Another former minister told the Guardian that serving ministers could stand down to vote against the deal.

If I could be forgiven crudeness for the moment, what in the ever living fuck are these clowns playing at? Why, after all this time, would someone quit now to vote against the deal?
    Because they've waited until the last moment to see if there were any forthcoming concessions by Europe in May's fabled late negotiations to see if it could make this bitter pill easier to swallow.
  • RobD said:

Great gif hah.

The thing is the future of these smart assistant like Echo and Google Home is to incorporate always on video. And they are going to use the video to help make these things more proactive. And it seems people are buying these things like they are going out of fashion.

Totally crazy if you ask me. I certainly don't have them and I am hardly a tin foil hatter, it just seems stupid security risk for what is really little gain i.e. I am not that f##king lazy not to be able to turn lights on and off myself.
    I have a ring video doorbell and it is excellent, as my mobility is not as good as it was, and I can speak to the person at the door. Both my wife and I can use live view to see who is at the door and my wife feels much safer.

The video is held on cloud for 6 weeks and I have no problem with it. It also amuses our young grandchildren when I speak through it to them
    Even if it is deserved it would not be be a good look to seek revenge. I wouldn't bother.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

You know it's authentic because they spelt surveyor correctly. Th at would be beyond the EDL mob.
    They might even struggle to spell Nazi.
  • GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:
    Fraser is very well connected (as is James Forsyth) I think we have to take what he says seriously.
    Well with 500 mps against it will not happen.
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Having some of their ministers resign now would apparently strengthen the Government's hand in the [completed] negotiations with the EU.

The longer this goes on the more bat-shit crazy the ERG mob are becoming.
    RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

RobD said:

Great gif hah.

I was more that there should be an opening in the market for that sort of thing, that isn't tied to the cloud.
    It's called X10 and it's been around for years decades.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

GIN1138 said:
    If Fraser thinks it is going to be "No Deal" we can probably all breathe a sigh of relief - it won't be No Deal.
    :smiley:

kle4 said:

Because they've waited until the last moment to see if there were any forthcoming concessions by Europe in May's fabled late negotiations to see if it could make this bitter pill easier to swallow.
    No. 10s line for a month before the MV was pulled was there would be no changes. Yes she then tried to say she would get some more, but given her policy for a month was that was not possible, there's no justifiable reason someone who needed the concessions to stay in post (as opposed to wanting concessions but able to vote for the deal as is) had not quit in advance of the last minute pulling of the MV.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    Further to the tax talk earlier today, it’s interesting that the EU state aid rules can be a quite effective mechanism for attacking some multinational tax avoidance.
    After going after Appple, now it’s Nike’s turn:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/10/eu-investigates-nikes-tax-status-in-the-netherlands
    edited January 2019

twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1083493392640811009

Corbyn... genius....?

Interesting... FT front cover is embargoed from #tomorrowspaperstoday until print publication.

They do this often.

Sometimes a biggie.
    Was embargoed yesterday or the day before, too.
    edited January 2019
    RobD said:

twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1083493392640811009

Corbyn... genius....?
    I called him that just yesterday without irony. Of course I meant accidental genius, and purely in relation to Brexit positioning, but still.

They do this often.

Sometimes a biggie.
    Let's hope it's not "Debenhams chairman ousted by Mike Ashley". :wink:
  • kle4 said:

Having some of their ministers resign now would apparently strengthen the Government's hand in the [completed] negotiations with the EU.

In blind panic maybe. They have been the architect of their own demise
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    kle4 said:

Even if it is deserved it would not be be a good look to seek revenge. I wouldn't bother.
    He makes it so tempting with that inane grin
    RobD said:

They do this often.

Sometimes a biggie.
    Maybe they have got writers' block.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget
    What a Christmas that paid for..unlike this year, where the failure of the US Ryder Cup team meant we were more like Tiny Tim's family*.

* Only joking, the idiot fans of Conor McGregor contributed handsomely to the old Christmas kitty.
    The one and only time I broke my cast iron rule to never bet on boxing. Ludicrous odds.
    Is it funny that on the very day a handful of MPs have finally switched from being against the deal to for it that research from the BBC indicates May would, even with those switches, face one of if not the biggest defeats ever for a government. The first good news they've had for a month, but barely a flicker of light amid the darkness.

kle4 said:

Er... "I'm quitting as a cabinet mimister because the EU won't offer a concession." ?

Not going to be a great look is it.

kle4 said:

Shrimsley has it down pat, and outside the firewall:

https://twitter.com/robertshrimsley/status/1082412641417609218?s=19

RobD said:

They do this often.

Sometimes a biggie.
    Maybe they have got writers' block.
    Or they fired so many sub-editors, that when one calls in sick the paper goes out two hours late.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Is it funny that on the very day a handful of MPs have finally switched from being against the deal to for it that research from the BBC indicates May would, even with those switches, face one of if not the biggest defeats ever for a government. The first good news they've had for a month, but barely a flicker of light amid the darkness.

The deal needs to be voted on, everything will flow from that and I still think TM has a good chance of achieving a deal as no deal is off the table, and the other options are as, if not more, difficult

kle4 said:

Er... "I'm quitting as a cabinet minister because the EU won't offer a concession." ?

I just cannot quite believe someone who by staying in post even when any concession at all was dismissed as impossible thus indicated they backed the deal as is, could possibly with a straight face claim the lack of concession means they feel they have to resign now.

I mean, I'm not being unfair am I? It just seems so logically absurd to me.
    edited January 2019
    Alistair said:

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

This one?

#NeverForget

The one and only time I broke my cast iron rule to never bet on boxing. Ludicrous odds.
    I was talking about McGregor vs Khabib Nurmagomedov, but yes I also piled in on the Mayweather fight.

It was just so ridiculous, the best defensive boxer of all time, unbeaten and basically untouched for 49 fights, and people thought a bloke who has never fought professional boxing was going to mash him up, dream on.

It was same for the Khabib MMA fight. This guy was unbeaten, barely troubled by previous opponents, hard as nails and has an elite grappler who nobody has managed to escape from. The only tiny chance McGregor had was that he would wildly swing and connect before Khabib would wrap him up like a Christmas present.

kle4 said:

The deal needs to be voted on, everything will flow from that and I still think TM has a good chance of achieving a deal as no deal is off the table, and the other options are as, if not more, difficult
    Your optimism is an inspiration against my gloomy pessimism, but with best case scenarios of the defeat being if the gov can manage to lose by less than three figures, I've never seen such a dead proposal.
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

kle4 said:

I’ve always wondered how the EU thought the deal would get through the Parliamentary test. It’s all very well ‘winning’ a negotiation but when that has to be supported via the Parliament then too disadvantageous a deal seems to invite a rejection
    edited January 2019

kle4 said:

I’ve always wondered how the EU thought the deal would get through the Parliamentary test. It’s all very well ‘winning’ a negotiation but when that has to be supported via the Parliament then too disadvantageous a deal seems to invite a rejection
    The EU made the mistake of thinking that our PM knew parliament better than they did.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    No-one should be surprised that the Chinese growth rate is declining, since their working-age population has been dropping for nearly 3 years.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-working-age-population-peaked-2016-4?r=UK&IR=T
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201801/12/WS5a584e92a3102c394518edbc.html
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Your optimism is an inspiration against my gloomy pessimism, but with best case scenarios of the defeat being if the gov can manage to lose by less than three figures, I've never seen such a dead proposal.
    Not sure it is optimism but more instinct, as it is going to be deal or remain and even if TM deal goes down by 200, the other option would be no deal or remain, which is crazy
  • Has anyone else noticed that *nobody* is talking about the DUP at the moment?It is almost as if there is no balance of power to be held at the moment.
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Where it gets interesting is if the govt can limit the loss to around 80. They would then be tempted to have another go, maybe making it clear at that point that there will be a GE or Ref2 if the Deal does not go through.

(PS I don't think they can limit the loss to 80 unless a left-field deal with Corbyn is cooked up - in which case the Deal will would pass.)
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Er... "I'm quitting as a cabinet minister because the EU won't offer a concession." ?

I just cannot quite believe someone who by staying in post even when any concession at all was dismissed as impossible thus indicated they backed the deal as is, could possibly with a straight face claim the lack of concession means they feel they have to resign now.

I mean, I'm not being unfair am I? It just seems so logically absurd to me.
    Your last line is spot on. But so much is logically absurd in this chaos

kle4 said:

I think for all some EU fans like to think the EU knows us so much better than we know them, it is just as capable of misjudging the situation. Even if that misjudgement was around how crazy we would be, that should have been a factor in their negotiating. No they could hardly abandon certain lines, but none of us are going to get satisfaction from no deal in pointing out it is the other side's fault, and for all May's flawed efforts, she really has not been bluffing about how certain things would not work. If they understood our system at all they'd know that even May caving on some things wouldn't guarantee anything.

Other options are that they never wanted a deal at all really, but that would be to say they are liars which I don't think is fair - they say a deal is best for both of us and I believe them. Or that they are banking on us remaining after all if they make it even harder. But that is too finicky to be plausible I think.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Not sure it is optimism but more instinct, as it is going to be deal or remain and even if TM deal goes down by 200, there is no other option other than no deal or remain
    Did you mean no deal or remain at the end?

Has anyone else noticed that *nobody* is talking about the DUP at the moment?It is almost as if there is no balance of power to be held at the moment.

The DUP have made themselves irrelevant by their 'never surrender' approach to this.
    AndyJS said:

No-one should be surprised that the Chinese growth rate is declining, since their working-age population has been dropping for nearly 3 years.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-working-age-population-peaked-2016-4?r=UK&IR=T
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201801/12/WS5a584e92a3102c394518edbc.html

Surely the same applies to our working age population?

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/978302412363624448?s=19

Has anyone else noticed that *nobody* is talking about the DUP at the moment?It is almost as if there is no balance of power to be held at the moment.

Well they came up at the beginning of the week IIRC, in their latest rebuff to talks with May's team. I guess in a sense they are not important, not because their vote is not criticial, but because it is almost certain their position is locked down so discussion is on potential, if implausible, changes, like masses of Tories changing tune or Labour abstaining or whatever.
  • kle4 said:

The EU made the mistake of thinking that our PM knew parliament better than they did.
    The EU made the mistake of thinking that Parliament would be as petrified of no deal as May is so would sign whatever they put in front of it.
  • Jo Swinson is so much better than Layla Mahmood
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

No. 10s line for a month before the MV was pulled was there would be no changes. Yes she then tried to say she would get some more, but given her policy for a month was that was not possible, there's no justifiable reason someone who needed the concessions to stay in post (as opposed to wanting concessions but able to vote for the deal as is) had not quit in advance of the last minute pulling of the MV.
    Last minute resignations are standard for any major rebellion. It was number 10's line for months that Britain should go to war with Iraq, yet it took until the day of the rebellion for Robin Cook to resign.

kle4 said:

The EU made the mistake of thinking that Parliament would be as petrified of no deal as May is so would sign whatever they put in front of it.
    Only a small minority of MPs think No Deal is an option.
  • Has anyone else noticed that *nobody* is talking about the DUP at the moment?It is almost as if there is no balance of power to be held at the moment.

When you're talking a hundred plus rebels, there is no balance of power.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Not sure it is optimism but more instinct, as it is going to be deal or remain and even if TM deal goes down by 200, there is no other option other than no deal or remain
    Did you mean no deal or remain at the end?
    I expressed it poorly and have edited it. If the deal goes down the idea the choice would be no deal or remain is crazy
  • kle4 said:

Only a small minority of MPs think No Deal is an option.
    But MPs can hide behind rejecting other options and insist upon their own mutually contradictory options until it happens by default.
This discussion has been closed.