Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s time for the Tories to pick a candidate for Buckingham

124»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

Sean_F said:

It has become clear that ERG have convinced themselves that by voting down the deal UK will exit with no deal as they have correctly said that by 498 mps voting for A50 the mps have voted for no deal as default. It is clear that the 498 lacked any form of common sense by not predicting this outcome and if it comes about all 498 mps share responsibility

However, I still believe TM will not allow no deal but will continue to keep it on the table until either amendments to the vote or subsequent actions in the HOC give her the space to remove it without ERG being able to accuse her directly.

She did, after all, campaign as enthusiastically as she ever does, for Remain. And her Deal is better than Leaving on 29th March without one.
    History will show that TM achieved a Brexit deal with the 27 Countries of Europe and if brexit falls it will be the responsibility, ironically, of the ERG members
    My lack of respect for people like Andrew Bridgen, Mark Francois, and Boris Johnson is boundless.
    But do you have any more respect for either May, Hammond or Clark who have negotiated a deal that is simply a white flag that does nothing for us or for arch Remainers like Grieve, Soubry, and Greening who are openly trying to thwart the referendum. I don’t.

The ERG can be rightly criticised for being utterly clueless on the type of Brexit they want and for failingto put in the hard work to prepare one but to put together a “deal” that is clearly worse than no deal is an abdication of responsibility.

Both no deal and no Brexit are better than May’s “deal”.
    I have no greater respect for Grieve, Soubry, or Greening, and view the proposed deal as preferable to the alternatives.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

Foxy said:

Mozart was a German Austrian, a subject of the Hapsburg monarchy.

Mozart was the greatest composer ever. That is all that matters!
    ..provided you have a high tolerance for repetition, I guess.

Which presumably must include any regular PB'er.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited January 2019
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

On Treason: (may have posted it before)

Treason doth never prosper
    What's the reason?
    If it do prosper, none dare call it treason!

If the Germans had won WWII, Petain, Laval, Quisling, and the leaders of a pro Nazi British government would be seen as national heroes.
    George Washington is a national hero, and has statues galore and even the capital of the USA named after him.

Lee is vilified and was recently part of a direct action campaign to have his statues and name removed from all places as a racist traitor.

What were the differences?

1) Washington kept his slaves units he died - Lee released his in his lifetime, punctiliously observing his father-in-law's will;

2) One was a shite general who was practically incapable of fighting an effective battle, and the other was one of the most daring and inventive generals of them all and a key figure of the Army of the Confederacy;

3) One won. The other lost.
    The question of whether Washington was a shite General is an interesting one. He did after all win the war! He did it by the method that has been successful in many other insurgencies. He kept his army in the field and substantially intact until the enemy decided the war was unwinnable. His was the prototype independence campaign. Cornwallis won every battle in his southern campaign until his surrender at Yorktown. It is a difference between strategy and tactics that May ignores.

Incidentally, over the holidays I went to see Hamilton (the award winning musical) great fun and deserving of the hype. Who would have thought a biography of an early American politician done substantially in rap by a multi-ethnic cast could be so brilliant and effective?

Washington was prominent in the victory of the British forces over the French in the 7 years war. I think you accurately portray his method in the War of Independence but do him a disservice overall.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Voting for the "best German of all time" got off to a shaky start yesterday after the Austrian ambassador to Germany complained that Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, whose name appears on a list of eligible candidates, is Austrian.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/aug/07/arts.germany

Well, German history is incredibly complicated in terms of delineating political boundaries. Technically there was no state of 'Germany' until 1871. Although Mozart was Austrian, his father was Bavarian and both were at that time part of the Holy Roman Empire which technically included most of Germany, albeit in a very loose confederation. Even after the dissolution of the Empire in 1806, there was always a widespread belief (and not just in Germany) that Austria was a German state that just didn't happen to be part of Germany.

Therefore at the time Bach was born Eisenach was part of the state that later transformed into the Empire of Austria (sorry @RoyalBlue)!

So I can see how Mozart might be claimed as German, or very cheekily Bach as Austrian. I can also say I think for the time period we're talking about such labels are anachronistic. Nationality mattered less than language in that place and period. From that point of view, both were German.
    Indeed, until the rise of nationalism in the 19th century, most of Europe was composed of multi-cultural states, with peoples that were found in other states also. Allegiance was to monarch rather than to ethnicity, language or even in many countries religion. Then as now people often had multiple overlapping identities.

Not a subject of the prince-archbishop of Salzburg?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Voting for the "best German of all time" got off to a shaky start yesterday after the Austrian ambassador to Germany complained that Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, whose name appears on a list of eligible candidates, is Austrian.

Well, German history is incredibly complicated in terms of delineating political boundaries. Technically there was no state of 'Germany' until 1871. Although Mozart was Austrian, his father was Bavarian and both were at that time part of the Holy Roman Empire which technically included most of Germany, albeit in a very loose confederation. Even after the dissolution of the Empire in 1806, there was always a widespread belief (and not just in Germany) that Austria was a German state that just didn't happen to be part of Germany.

Therefore at the time Bach was born Eisenach was part of the state that later transformed into the Empire of Austria (sorry @RoyalBlue)!

So I can see how Mozart might be claimed as German, or very cheekily Bach as Austrian. I can also say I think for the time period we're talking about such labels are anachronistic. Nationality mattered less than language in that place and period. From that point of view, both were German.
    It was always said jokingly that Austria had the best PR man in history. He managed to convince the world that Mozart was Austrian and Hitler was German.
    You've missed half the conversation. It was Beethoven, not Mozart. Who was born in Bonn in the Holy Roman Empire (see above) before moving to Vienna, where following the dissolution of the Empire he died an Austrian.
    Ah. Cheers. That makes more sense.

As a general point if ever anyone goes to Prague and visits the castle, do make a point of hunting down and visiting the private Lobkowicz Palace. It has a museum which contains the original hand written scores of Beethoven's 3rd, 4th and 5th Symphonies as well as Mozart's orchestration of Handel's messiah with all his corrections scrawled all over it. It really is remarkable and surprisingly moving to see these pieces of music written in the hand of their composers.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

It has become clear that ERG have convinced themselves that by voting down the deal UK will exit with no deal as they have correctly said that by 498 mps voting for A50 the mps have voted for no deal as default. It is clear that the 498 lacked any form of common sense by not predicting this outcome and if it comes about all 498 mps share responsibility

However, I still believe TM will not allow no deal but will continue to keep it on the table until either amendments to the vote or subsequent actions in the HOC give her the space to remove it without ERG being able to accuse her directly.

She did, after all, campaign as enthusiastically as she ever does, for Remain. And her Deal is better than Leaving on 29th March without one.
    History will show that TM achieved a Brexit deal with the 27 Countries of Europe and if brexit falls it will be the responsibility, ironically, of the ERG members
    My lack of respect for people like Andrew Bridgen, Mark Francois, and Boris Johnson is boundless.
    But do you have any more respect for either May, Hammond or Clark who have negotiated a deal that is simply a white flag that does nothing for us or for arch Remainers like Grieve, Soubry, and Greening who are openly trying to thwart the referendum. I don’t.

The ERG can be rightly criticised for being utterly clueless on the type of Brexit they want and for failingto put in the hard work to prepare one but to put together a “deal” that is clearly worse than no deal is an abdication of responsibility.

Nonsense. May's deal avoids most of the cliffedge crises that would arise from a no deal exit, and therefore is clearly better. You are right however that no Brexit is better still.
    Nonsense. May’s deal does nothing on trade which is not part of her deal and it’s her own gross negligence that has led to the failure to prepare for no deal.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Nonsense. May's deal avoids most of the cliffedge crises that would arise from a no deal exit, and therefore is clearly better. You are right however that no Brexit is better still.
    Nonsense. May’s deal does nothing on trade which is not part of her deal and it’s her own gross negligence that has led to the failure to prepare for no deal.
    Bizarre. May's deal broadly protects our current arrangements on trade. Which are better than cold turkey no deal. And government didn't prepare for no deal because it promised big business that it wouldn't happen.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Bizarre. May's deal broadly protects our current arrangements on trade. Which are better than cold turkey no deal. And government didn't prepare for no deal because it promised big business that it wouldn't happen.
    For 21 months and then we are back to a cliffedge. So we will have less time between now and the next cliffedge than we had between invoking Article 50 and the original one.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

We don't want wars to happen. Doesn't mean that you abolish the military.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

May's Deal is not "pure" enough for the Brexiteers. It doe snot matter what it achieves when it is the wrong kind of Brexit.

Do not expect reason. Brexit is, by any measure, national insanity. It loses us influence, worsens our trade and makes us poorer.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

:D

Beethoven is stodgy as far as symphonies go. Some of his piano sonatas are ok.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

It has become clear that ERG have convinced themselves that by voting down the deal UK will exit with no deal as they have correctly said that by 498 mps voting for A50 the mps have voted for no deal as default. It is clear that the 498 lacked any form of common sense by not predicting this outcome and if it comes about all 498 mps

Wrong. It simply means we enter a transitional period which perpetuates current arrangements for 2 years, supposedly to negotiate a trade deal. It is simply a deferral not a protection and a deferral that risked losing NI for no good reason and with no exit. On that basis of how badly May has handled these negotiations, we would be insane to trust her with negotiating the trade deal.

“No deal is better than a bad deal” was one of her quotes. Now she seems to have negotiated a deal on the basis that any deal, even one dictated by the EU that offers us nothing,
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

May's Deal is not "pure" enough for the Brexiteers. It doe snot matter what it achieves when it is the wrong kind of Brexit.

Do not expect reason. Brexit is, by any measure, national insanity. It loses us influence, worsens our trade and makes us poorer.
    17.4m voted for it. Ignoring them simply because you don’t like it seems bizarre.
  • Options

Wrong in all three cases. It will increase our influence, improve our trade and make the country wealthier. This lunatic obsession you Eurofanatics have with 6% of the world's population as if there is nothing else out there beyond Europe but seabeasts and dragons really is bizarre.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

It has become clear that ERG have convinced themselves that by voting down the deal UK will exit with no deal as they have correctly said that by 498 mps voting for A50 the mps have voted for no deal as default. It is clear that the 498 lacked any form of common sense by not predicting this outcome and if it comes about all 498 mps

But do you . I don’t.

Wrong. It simply means we enter a transitional period which perpetuates current arrangements for 2 years, supposedly to negotiate a trade deal. It is simply a deferral not a protection and a deferral that risked losing NI for no good reason and with no exit. On that basis of how badly May has handled these negotiations, we would be insane to trust her with negotiating the trade deal.

“No deal is better than a bad deal” was one of her quotes. Now she seems to have negotiated a deal on the basis that any deal, even one dictated by the EU that offers us nothing,
    That was just a slogan, intended to defer the day when her headbangers had their appointment with reality.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

We don't want wars to happen. Doesn't mean that you abolish the military.
    I guess you get some credit for putting no deal up there with war, in terms of the damage it will do.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

That was just a slogan, intended to defer the day when her headbangers had their appointment with reality.
    So she is a liar is she ? Hardly a ringing endorsement of her fitness for the task entrusted to her.
  • Options

Precisely. What has May's deal gained for the UK?

At the point of invoking Article 50 we had 24 months to negotiate our future arrangements and what happens to issues like money, Northern Ireland etc where we had something on our side they wanted.

If we implement May's deal we have 21 months to negotiate our future arrangements having already given money and Northern Ireland to the EU.
  • Options

Wrong in all three cases. It will increase our influence, improve our trade and make the country wealthier. This lunatic obsession you Eurofanatics have with 6% of the world's population as if there is nothing else out there beyond Europe but seabeasts and dragons really is bizarre.
    Auditioning to be the self harming idiot of the world isn't going to increase our influence. You clearly haven't been abroad recently; we are progressively trashing our national reputation for pragmatism and common sense.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

At the point of invoking Article 50 we had 24 months to negotiate our future arrangements and what happens to issues like money, Northern Ireland etc where we had something on our side they wanted.

If we implement May's deal we have 21 months to negotiate our future arrangements having already given money and Northern Ireland to the EU.
    I thought the EU refused to negotiate future arrangements? They only wanted to deal with the withdrawal.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    edited January 2019

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Once again proving you have no soul. :) There is no finer composer in the history of the world that Beethoven. And the greatest piece of music ever written is his Violin Concerto Opus 61. Preferably as played by Leonid Kogan.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

She did, 29th March without one.

still.

So she is a liar is she ? Hardly a ringing endorsement of her fitness for the task entrusted to her.
    I never said she was a good PM (although I do think she is underestimated on narrow tactics). Nevertheless her deal remains better than a no deal exit in two and a bit months' time. And we have common ground that no Brexit is better.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    edited January 2019
    IanB2 said:

Auditioning to be the self harming idiot of the world isn't going to increase our influence. You clearly haven't been abroad recently; we are progressively trashing our national reputation for pragmatism and common sense.
    LOL. I spend a lot more time abroad and talking to people from other countries than almost anyone else here. You need to try and get your information from somewhere other than the lower end of the internet.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Foxy said:

Probably already posted but:

Tulsi Gabbard: Democrat says she will run for president in 2020

Not much oxygen left for Bernie after Warren grabs the Occupy Wall Street people and Gabbard gets the Tankies.
    Gabbard is a non starter IMO, but as everyone apart from @HYFUD knows, both Sanders and Biden are too old to run.
    Well both are making all the moves for a run and if neither run that is excellent news for Trump as it will then be much easier for him to win the rustbelt and the Electoral College and thus re election
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

She's pro-Assad, but that doesn't necessarily make her a 'Putin lover'. Mind, being pro-Assad isn't much of a recommendation either!

There's a Realpolitik argument that Assad is a good thing for Syria, compared with all the viable alternatives - he and his government are utterly unscrupulous in crushing the rebellion and it's clear that he uses chemical wepaons and his prisons are hellholes, but he doesn't persecute minorities for ethnic or religious reasons, he's not a nutty fundamentalist (and in fact basically secular) and he's not trying to export terror to anyone. Certainly the civil war to try to overthrow him has turned out to be a catastrophe, and if her view is that at this stage it's better to work with him rather than prolong the conflict, that's probably right. If it extends to thinking he's a nice fellow with agreeable associates, then she's deluded.

But anyway I think she has too many issues that will irritate all the main supporter bases in the Democratic Party. Essentially Sanders needs to run if he's going to, and either build a clear lead or be seen to be falling clearly short, so that progressives can look elsewhere.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

still.

I never said she was a good PM (although I do think she is underestimated on narrow tactics). Nevertheless her deal remains better than a no deal exit in two and a bit months' time. And we have common ground that no Brexit is better.
    No - you implied she was a liar.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

still.

If you mean that her slogans are essentially meaningless, for sure.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I thought the EU refused to negotiate future arrangements? They only wanted to deal with the withdrawal.
    The accompanying political statement suggests otherwise. We were fools to agree to their agenda and not make any agreement conditional upon an acceptable trade deal.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

LOL. I spend a lot more time abroad and talking to people from other countries than almost anyone else here. You need to try and get your information from somewhere other than the lower end of the internet.
    Then I apologise if you are indeed well travelled. Although returning the same misconception makes us equally wrong.

I am mystified at how anyone can think Brexit will increase our national influence. Brexiters will get their wish in one respect, at least, in that it is quite likely that we return to the 1970s position of being the sick man of Europe, which was a key reason why we joined in the first place.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

still.
    But you still trust her deal. Trusting someone you believe to be a liar seems insane to me.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

still.
    But you still trust her deal. Trusting someone you believe to be a liar seems insane to me.
    Her deal is better than anything else on offer, other than abandoning the whole thing as a horrendous mistake. That's as far as it goes.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Mr. Tokyo, the electorate voted for:
    a party promising a referendum to have a majority
    MPs who backed a referendum
    to Leave in said referendum
    MPs then backed the result of the referendum
    two main parties in another election, both of whom backed leaving the EU

The idea there's going to be anything other than a severely disgruntled, and understandably disgruntled, electorate if we end up remaining (especially without another referendum) is optimistic beyond the bounds of reason.

Over 50% of voters at the last election backed parties that ruled out a No Deal Brexit. All opinion polls show that voters are opposed to a No Deal Brexit. The will of the people is not to leave the EU on a No Deal basis. Mrs May's deal is not the only way to prevent a No Deal. It is the only way to prevent one based on the prejudices that Mrs May has.

True , however there is only Mays deal or no deal currently on the cards.
    Therefore without another deal MPs should vote for it imo.

That's why we need to start again. However, I think we will leave without a deal.

I have long thought that likely, though No Deal is going to be Brexit with a whimper rather than a bang.
    I just wonder whether any of the people who think No Deal won't be a disaster have any evidence to back up that view. If so, it would be useful information. I remember a lot of assertions that No Deal will be fine. But I can't remember any evidence to back them up.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

still.
    Her deal is better than anything else on offer, other than abandoning the whole thing as a horrendous mistake. That's as far as it goes.
    In your view, the basis for which we have already established is flawed. Hilarious.
  • Options
    Survation

Deal 41% No Deal 32%

Deal 40% Remain 40%

Remain 46% No Deal 41%

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1084047514850996224
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Then I apologise if you are indeed well travelled. Although returning the same misconception makes us equally wrong.

I am mystified at how anyone can think Brexit will increase our national influence. Brexiters will get their wish in one respect, at least, in that it is quite likely that we return to the 1970s position of being the sick man of Europe, which was a key reason why we joined in the first place.
    Just look at the many organisations around the world - the ones where the EU talks in our place rather than allowing us to make our own case and have our own vote. People around the world look at the EU and they see an inward looking protectionist bloc putting up walls against the emerging nations and desperately clinging to their belief in some divine right to dominate. Even the language used by the EU of challenging the US and China is arrogant in the extreme. Britain and the other forward looking European countries have a place in the world but it certainly isn't one based on the outdated concepts that still drive the EU.

And being the sick man of Europe had nothing to do with being inside or outside the EU. Indeed we remained the sick man of Europe until the Thatcher reforms which made us less like Europe and more like the US. That is what changed everything for us, not membership of the EEC/EU.

• Options
    Former Labour Party Deputy Leader Roy Hattersley backs a second EU referendum

https://mobile.twitter.com/LabPeoplesVote/status/1084048243208654848
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Once again proving you have no soul. :) There is no finer composer in the history of the world that Beethoven. And the greatest piece of music ever written is his Violin Concerto Opus 61. Preferably as played by Leonid Kogan.
    Please note I was commenting on the Symphonies.

Franz Welser-Most's version of Mozart's Requiem is sublime, but I think the real trick is to avoid American orchestras who seem to pick up the tempo and play too quick and with rather overpowering brass sections
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Franz Welser-Most's version of Mozart's Requiem is sublime, but I think the real trick is to avoid American orchestras who seem to pick up the tempo and play too quick and with rather overpowering brass sections
    And of course I was only joking. Hence the smiley. I do think Beethoven the greatest composer ever but do understand others might not share that view....

...must resist making sarky comment to finish reply....
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Wrong in all three cases. It will increase our influence, improve our trade and make the country wealthier.

Really? How?

Concrete examples please, not arm-waving, vague promises.

Remember - we are about to make it harder to deal with our biggest customer.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Chris said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

The idea there's going to be anything other than a severely disgruntled, and understandably disgruntled, electorate if we end up remaining (especially without another referendum) is optimistic beyond the bounds of reason.

Over 50% of voters at the last election backed parties that ruled out a No Deal Brexit. All opinion polls show that voters are opposed to a No Deal Brexit. The will of the people is not to leave the EU on a No Deal basis. Mrs May's deal is not the only way to prevent a No Deal. It is the only way to prevent one based on the prejudices that Mrs May has.

That's why we need to start again. However, I think we will leave without a deal.

I have long thought that likely, though No Deal is going to be Brexit with a whimper rather than a bang.
    I just wonder whether any of the people who think No Deal won't be a disaster have any evidence to back up that view. If so, it would be useful information. I remember a lot of assertions that No Deal will be fine. But I can't remember any evidence to back them up.

I think the problems with No Deal at the ports etc will be short term, and even I can survive without salad for a few weeks. The damage will be long term rather than short term, and the benefits illusory as we will not get better trading arrangements than we currently have via EU mediated deals.

Hence I think the Brexit induced decline in Britain from reputational and economic causes will be death by a thousand cuts as a whimper rather than a bang.

Off to the footy now, to take my mind off my tax bill!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Mozart was the greatest composer ever. Mozart was the greatest composer ever. The greatest composer, he was. The greatest, he was. The greatest composer ever was Mozart. Mozart, the greatest composer ever.

And repeat.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

And of course I was only joking. Hence the smiley. I do think Beethoven the greatest composer ever but do understand others might not share that view....

...must resist making sarky comment to finish reply....
    Anyone who thinks anyone other than JSB is the greatest composer of all time is I fear Baching up the wrong tree.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Just look at the many organisations around the world - the ones where the EU talks in our place rather than allowing us to make our own case and have our own vote. People around the world look at the EU and they see an inward looking protectionist bloc putting up walls against the emerging nations and desperately clinging to their belief in some divine right to dominate.

I think most people look at the EU as the richest single market in the world and would love the kind of access to that market that Britain currently enjoys. If it is inward looking and protectionist, which doesn't match my experience by the way, all the more the reason not to give up the beneficial position we have at the moment.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Leavers love to create their excuse myths. The deal would have been fine if only it had been negotiated by a leaver and no deal would have been if only we had planned for it.

What evidence is there that the EU would have offered Johnson or Mogg a better deal than the one we have?

A few months more planning might have mitigated some of the worst impact of a No Deal but it wouldn't have miraculously turned it into a success.

One thing we do know for certain is that whatever bad effects stem from Brexit the leavers will have n excuse as to why it's not actually their fault. Bit like death and taxes.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Turning to politics for a moment (apologies), one of the most regretful aspects of Brexit is the problems it may cause classical musicians performing and collaborating across Europe.

Losing the EU Baroque Orchestra doesn’t get as many headlines as the EMA, but it’s still a terrible shame.

The price of Brexit. Worth paying, but high indeed.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Just look at the many organisations around the world - the ones where the EU talks in our place rather than allowing us to make our own case and have our own vote. People around the world look at the EU and they see an inward looking protectionist bloc putting up walls against the emerging nations and desperately clinging to their belief in some divine right to dominate.

I think most people look at the EU as the richest single market in the world and would love the kind of access to that market that Britain currently enjoys. If it is inward looking and protectionist, which doesn't match my experience by the way, all the more the reason not to give up the beneficial position we have at the moment.
    Still living in the past aren't you. The EU is becoming an increasing irrelevance in the world - where the 94% of people who aren't part of the EU live. You little Europeans need to wake up and start thinking about tomorrow instead of yesterday.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited January 2019
    HYUFD said:

Survation

Deal 41% No Deal 32%

Deal 40% Remain 40%

Remain 46% No Deal 41%

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1084047514850996224

Those figures are very tight and based on them there's every chance some version of Leave would win a second referendum. Thoughtful remainers like Philip Collins of the Times have always cautioned going down that route as does Craig Oliver suggesting it may be preferable to accept the WA to prevent the possibility of no deal.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Still living in the past aren't you. The EU is becoming an increasing irrelevance in the world - where the 94% of people who aren't part of the EU live. You little Europeans need to wake up and start thinking about tomorrow instead of yesterday.
    You are arguing against yourself. If the EU is insignificant at only 6% of the world's population, what does that make the UK? With China rapidly developing its industrial base and its billion plus economically active consumers and workers, do you really think now is a good time to cut down on co-operating with our neighbours?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It was always said jokingly that Austria had the best PR man in history. He managed to convince the world that Mozart was Austrian and Hitler was German.
    You've missed half the conversation. It was Beethoven, not Mozart. Who was born in Bonn in the Holy Roman Empire (see above) before moving to Vienna, where following the dissolution of the Empire he died an Austrian.
    Ah. Cheers. That makes more sense.

As a general point if ever anyone goes to Prague and visits the castle, do make a point of hunting down and visiting the private Lobkowicz Palace. It has a museum which contains the original hand written scores of Beethoven's 3rd, 4th and 5th Symphonies as well as Mozart's orchestration of Handel's messiah with all his corrections scrawled all over it. It really is remarkable and surprisingly moving to see these pieces of music written in the hand of their composers.
    Prague is a remarkable city for music lovers. I saw Don Giovanni in the Opera House where it was first performed.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

I think the problems with No Deal at the ports etc will be short term, and even I can survive without salad for a few weeks. The damage will be long term rather than short term, and the benefits illusory as we will not get better trading arrangements than we currently have via EU mediated deals.

Hence I think the Brexit induced decline in Britain from reputational and economic causes will be death by a thousand cuts as a whimper rather than a bang.

I know everyone has an opinion about it, but - without wishing to be rude - my question was whether anyone could come up with evidence to back the opinion up.

It's noticeable that your first two paragraphs begin with "I think".
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    Saw this. Thought of you.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    edited January 2019
    NEW THREAD Comrades
  • Options
    Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

I know everyone has an opinion about it, but - without wishing to be rude - my question was whether anyone could come up with evidence to back the opinion up.

It's noticeable that your first two paragraphs begin with "I think".
    Unless and until it happens, there can be no evidence. But, I think Robert Smithson's 's video about No Deal is plausible. It causes genuine, avoidable, problems for us, without fulfilling the more lurid predictions of disaster.
  • Options

Wrong in all three cases. It will increase our influence, improve our trade and make the country wealthier.

Really? How?

Concrete examples please, not arm-waving, vague promises.

Remember - we are about to make it harder to deal with our biggest customer.
    Well in terms of influence it means we will have our own vote in organisations like the WTO, the various international fisheries bodies, the World Organisation for Animal Health, Codex Alimentarius which governs food standards and dozens of other international bodies setting standards where currently our voice and vote are controlled by the EU.
  • Options

You are arguing against yourself. If the EU is insignificant at only 6% of the world's population, what does that make the UK? With China rapidly developing its industrial base and its billion plus economically active consumers and workers, do you really think now is a good time to cut down on co-operating with our neighbours?

Not at all. We need to look to the other 94% rather than the 6%. They are the future.
  • Options
    O/T - many people seem to have reached the conclusion that by being critical of Bercow's actions, David is defending the Government's previous actions surrounding the postponement of the vote.

I don't see it like that at all. The Government's behaviour was appalling, its conduct in refusing to publicise its legal advice on the deal was appalling. Bercow's conduct here was appalling, his own refusal to publicise his clerks' advice also appalling.

Bercow's actions are arguably much more harmful - the government can (and will in my view) be voted out but Bercow has politicised the Speaker's role forever. From now on any speaker has the right to choose which amendments to advance and which to ignore regardless of the legal advice because Bercow has set the precedent.

The fact that allowing Grieve's amendment may have righted a wrong caused by the Government in delaying the vote is irrelevant. Parliament is a rules based organisation, and precedent is extremely important in rules based organisation - therefore breaking one rule to correct the breaking of another rule will make things far worse in the long run.

I am constantly amazed at how often this is overlooked, especially by those seeking to remain in the EU.

The net result is that Parliament has been treated shamefully in this episode, by the government in its initial actions, by Bercow in making up the rules against advice, and by the labour party and tory ultra-remainers in refusing to investigate perfectly credible bullying claims against Bercow because, get this, the entirely impartial speaker will help thwart Brexit - thanks for the clear explanation Margaret.. In fact, it appears now that Parliament can decide whether to investigate its own depending on personal whim (how's that Keith Vaz investigation going while a cabinet minister was hounded to resign because he touched someone's knee 20 years ago?).

I do not know what will happen with Brexit, but whatever the end result is, Parliament has been irrevocably damaged by the petty self interest of all sides. Where that leads is a very worrying conversation indeed.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

Mr. Rook, the referendum was a perfect opportunity to express a view.

Also, to correct Mr. Divvie a bit further, more than two-thirds of the electorate voted in the referendum. So the Leave vote was a majority of a majority of the electorate, not a minority of a minority.

Although, if the ref had taken place under the rules of the Scottish devolution vote of 1979, Brexit would be deemed not to have carried sufficient support for a change.
    more gerrymandering suggested, what happened to democracy
  • Options
    Bercow's father was a taxi driver, of a British Jewish family in Edgware, Middlesex. His paternal grandparents were Jews who arrived in Britain from Romania a century ago.

Having settled in the UK, the family Anglicized its surname from Berkowitz to Bercow.

Source: Wikipedia
  • Options
    timpletimple Posts: 118
    I think David Allen Green nailed this issue https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1083633905704546304
  • Options
    I'm available.... But I have no ambitions in this direction.
This discussion has been closed.