Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the eve of the big vote political punters now make it 79% t

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,016
    kyf_100 said:

More people feel passionately against the EU than are passionately for it.

This is no longer the case, and year by year their numbers get fewer.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

kyf_100 said:

And so you fall back on the 'my enemies will die off'. Such positivity.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited January 2019
    Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

79% chance that we won’t leave the EU at all I would have thought.

Not quite I think. I'm very confident, unfortunately, that Remain would win any referendum but it is at least possible, say, deal would win, so while referendum or other options mean a delay past March is very likely, it is not quite as likely that we do not leave at all.
    Despite all the superficially persuasive slogans that have been offered for the Leave (the sequel) campaign, Remain has the absolute killer line - You can have years and years more of all this arguing and chaos of Brexit, or it can all simply go away: you choose.
    It would not go away.
    Not wholly,no, but it is a superficially good line.
    The people against the powerful.

You t

Might help get out the Leave vote, but will convert no one and will fail unless it turns out nearly all the survivors of the 17.4 million voters. I cannot see it myself.
    That assumes that Remain would get anywhere near the support they got last time. They would not. Both sides would see a significant decrease in their turnout - which in itself would hugely undermine the legitimacy of the vote.
    And therein lies Remain's problem.

More people feel passionately against the EU than are passionately for it. Remain failed to make a positive case for the EU in 2016, they've failed to make one since then (doubling down on project fear) and I doubt they would be able to put forward a positive case for the EU in 2019. Remain's strongest argument is that it is the least worst option. Hardly something that gets people marching down the polling stations.

Meanwhile leavers will be riled up and angry. Seeing the establishment attempting to overrule the 2016 result. Having the opportunity to stick two fingers up at them. They'll vote.

Like I have said, if Leavers really believed this guff, they would have no fear of a #Peoplesvote.
    Lots of us don’t. We don’t see why the electorate should have to ratify a decision they made in 2016 because the losers can’t accept defeat gracefully, but that does not mean we wouldn’t have a very good chance of winning.

Of the non-political people I talk to, most of whom voted Remain, none think the result would be different. I only know people who have switched from Remain to Leave, but also have family who voted Leave who have now died.

• Options
    Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Not quite I think. I'm very confident, unfortunately, that Remain would win any referendum but it is at least possible, say, deal would win, so while referendum or other options mean a delay past March is very likely, it is not quite as likely that we do not leave at all.
    Despite all the superficially persuasive slogans that have been offered for the Leave (the sequel) campaign, Remain has the absolute killer line - You can have years and years more of all this arguing and chaos of Brexit, or it can all simply go away: you choose.
    It would not go away.

You t

Might help get out the Leave vote, but will convert no one and will fail unless it turns out nearly all the survivors of the 17.4 million voters. I cannot see it myself.
    That assumes that Remain would get anywhere near the support they got last time. They would not. Both sides would see a significant decrease in their turnout - which in itself would hugely undermine the legitimacy of the vote.

More people feel passionately against the EU than are passionately for it. Remain failed to make a positive case for the EU in 2016, they've failed to make one since then (doubling down on project fear) and I doubt they would be able to put forward a positive case for the EU in 2019. Remain's strongest argument is that it is the least worst option. Hardly something that gets people marching down the polling stations.

Meanwhile leavers will be riled up and angry. Seeing the establishment attempting to overrule the 2016 result. Having the opportunity to stick two fingers up at them. They'll vote.

Moreoe.
    Like I have said, if Leavers really believed this guff, they would have no fear of a #Peoplesvote.
    I think many more people think remain would win than will admit it, but your response is also a load of guff, because it is perfectly possible for people to object to the dishonestname vote for reasons other than thinking it would lose, and rather focuses on the fact that you only want one because you think you will win.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Big day tomorrow (my birthday, actually, something else happening but of no import).

For me, there are and only ever have been two credible positions for the UK via a vis the EU - all in or all out. Our half-hearted rebate-obsessed opt-out ridden mean-spirited excuse of a membership has been wholly unsatisfactory for both the UK AND the EU.

We can't go back as we were - we could go back as full members embracing the Euro, Schengen and the fast track to political integration but there's little or no constituency for that.

So we leave, wishing the EU well and wanting to be on the best possible terms with whatever the Union becomes. That Union will have two problems on its peripheries - the UK on one side and Russia on the other. Very different problems but neither easy to resolve let alone everything happening to the south.

You've posted this before, but there is no evidence that it is necessarily true. A two-tier Europe, with an inner Eurozone and an outer ring is equally possible.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Big day tomorrow (my birthday, actually, something else happening but of no import).

For me, there are and only ever have been two credible positions for the UK via a vis the EU - all in or all out. Our half-hearted rebate-obsessed opt-out ridden mean-spirited excuse of a membership has been wholly unsatisfactory for both the UK AND the EU.

We can't go back as we were - we could go back as full members embracing the Euro, Schengen and the fast track to political integration but there's little or no constituency for that.

So we leave, wishing the EU well and wanting to be on the best possible terms with whatever the Union becomes. That Union will have two problems on its peripheries - the UK on one side and Russia on the other. Very different problems but neither easy to resolve let alone everything happening to the south.

All in or all out seems to be the only options left before us anyway. I don't think enough people want all out to see it through.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    ydoethur said:

I have read about the best solution to the problem. A terrible disaster is going to befall the United Kingdom and we all need to leave for Australia. Two very large ark ships are to be built (in Poland) to accommodate us on the voyage, but as we all hate each other so much people need to be split up. Supporters of Hard Brexit please board Ark B (for Brexit). Everyone else will follow on ark A

Sounds suspiciously like that wheeze from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...

Hard Brexiteers get to emigrate to Australia, everyone else gets wiped out by a plague. That sounds like a win for the Hard Brexiteers to me.
    As I recall however the Gogalfrincham Ark B cohort was also wiped out by an especially cold winter.
    No the B Ark contained the phone sanitisers and other useless people (Ad directors....) - Gogafrinchan was then killed off by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,798
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

You told them once. Tell them again.

They weren't listening then. They're still not listening now.

Remind them who they work for.

They have nothing but contempt for you. This is your chance to tell them what you think of them.

And so on. And so forth. Forever.

All fine slogans...except so many leave supporters have made clear they despise the deal. I'm to believe, when there's been so little switching from remain to leave or leave to remain, that leave will be more motivated in a scenario which involves a deal so many despise?
    It would depend whether the argument that prevailed was vote down this wicked deal, or what part of leave don't they understand?
    It doesn't matter which prevails, it matters are there enough of the former to see remain over the line? Remain is fired up. Leave is not. All it will take is a few percent less for leave.
    Looking at Yougov's numbers, it does matter which argument prevails. The Deal is not popular, but nor is Remain,
  • Options

I have read about the best solution to the problem. A terrible disaster is going to befall the United Kingdom and we all need to leave for Australia. Two very large ark ships are to be built (in Poland) to accommodate us on the voyage, but as we all hate each other so much people need to be split up. Supporters of Hard Brexit please board Ark B (for Brexit). Everyone else will follow on ark A

What did Australia do to deserve that?
    Like the original Golgafrinchams, the Hard Brexiteers never reach Australia. Nor do the rest of us leave the UK. That oversexed overhaired underbrained wazzock Johnson saying he knows more about building cars than the boss of Jaguar. It really is Trump level politics. "I think we should do this and everything will be fine" "no here are precise details as to why it won't based on years of professional experience" "WRONG. Sad. Fake News"

Why do we need to listen to the boss of JLR giving 20 years of expert advice about Brexit and car making? What does he know that Brian the angry Brexiteer backed by 20 years of reading the Daily Mail cant tell us better? What next? Cornwall who rely on EU monies voting to leave deciding to appoint a Cornish ambassador to the EU to go begging for the continuation of the monies Cornish voters insisted didn't exist?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933
    Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

You t

Moreover, I think there is a fundamental sense of fair play as part of our national character. Forcing people to vote twice just feels wrong. Undemocratic. The sort of thing tinpot dictatorships do, not something that's done over here. With so many people who voted remain the last time ambivalent about the EU at best, I think the leave vote is far more likely to turn out in force while remainers (soft remainers - not the "People's" vote mob) stay home.
    #Peoplealreadyvoted
  • Options
    When it comes to discussing who is fired up, just wait until you tell 17.4 million people they have to vote again for their victory to mean something. That’s not to mention the people who think we have already left.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Oddly, their numbers were far greater in 2016 than in 1975.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

And so you fall back on the 'my enemies will die off'. Such positivity.
    In seriousness, the referendum and the ensuing chaos, with the tendency for people to double down on their decision, will help remain a little, given that their voters tend to be younger. I doubt the switch towards anti-europeanism as people age has continued at the same pace, not least because much of it derives from the world view people shaped during their late teenage, rather than from age per se. A three-year gap between successive votes will give Remain a margin of a few per cent.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    RoyalBlue said:

When it comes to discussing who is fired up, just wait until you tell 17.4 million people they have to vote again for their victory to mean something. That’s not to mention the people who think we have already left.

What a pity that the Leave campaigns ar still under criminal investigations for breaching the spending rules. This is the VAR of politics
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    RoyalBlue said:

The people who think we have already left will presumably be happy to vote for the status quo. :smile:
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

They have nothing but contempt for you. This is your chance to tell them what you think of them.

All fine slogans...except so many leave supporters have made clear they despise the deal. I'm to believe, when there's been so little switching from remain to leave or leave to remain, that leave will be more motivated in a scenario which involves a deal so many despise?
    It would depend whether the argument that prevailed was vote down this wicked deal, or what part of leave don't they understand?
    It doesn't matter which prevails, it matters are there enough of the former to see remain over the line? Remain is fired up. Leave is not. All it will take is a few percent less for leave.
    Looking at Yougov's numbers, it does matter which argument prevails. The Deal is not popular, but nor is Remain,
    In the deal v Remain vote, how will those leavers who believe it the most actually campaign? Throwing themselves behind the deal might be a tad difficult given the smoke from all the burning bridges.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

What a pity that the Leave campaigns ar still under criminal investigations for breaching the spending rules. This is the VAR of politics
    Nothing the Leave campaign did in terms of campaign finance matches Remain spending £9 million of taxpayers’ money on propaganda for their own side, but by all means keep ploughing this lonely furrow.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,524
    RoyalBlue said:

Well, as I said, I am willing to wait and see.

I see Betty Boothroyd has lost none of her wit.

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1084924305887191040
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Nothing the Leave campaign did in terms of campaign finance matches Remain spending £9 million of taxpayers’ money on propaganda for their own side, but by all means keep ploughing this lonely furrow.
    Propaganda we would have been better without, given that it associated the government with one of the options. In any referendum there are always lots of people keen to give the ruling powers a kicking.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

Brexit is an affliction of the post-war generations. Not enough of them were voters in 1975 but their relative Euroscepticism was already there.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/07/31/the-referendums-of-1975-and-2016-illustrate-the-continuity-and-change-in-british-euroscepticism/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Propaganda we would have been better without, given that it associated the government with one of the options. In any referendum there are always lots of people keen to give the ruling powers a kicking.
    Indeed, and it is the Leavers in government now.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

In the deal v Remain vote, how will those leavers who believe it the most actually campaign? Throwing themselves behind the deal might be a tad difficult given the smoke from all the burning bridges.
    Bless. You think the contents of the deal will actually matter during a referendum campaign.

Leave will run on people vs politicians. That’s all they need to do. It may not be enough, but anything else would be a distraction.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Bless. You think the contents of the deal will actually matter during a referendum campaign.

Leave will run on people vs politicians. That’s all they need to do. It may not be enough, but anything else would be a distraction.
    Leave will not have the help of anti-establishment outriders this time. Leave will be the establishment.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

So you think the ERG headbangers will be enthusiastically campaigning for the deal?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited January 2019
    RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Yeah, it's not even about the EU and Brexit anymore really. It's about who has control. The Establishment or The People.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

stodge said:

You've posted this before, but there is no evidence that it is necessarily true. A two-tier Europe, with an inner Eurozone and an outer ring is equally possible.
    The concern with this view is that, if the single currency is to survive in the long term, the Eurozone will probably have to have some form of common Government: a Treasury, shared borrowing, shared taxation and redistribution of money through fiscal transfers are arguably needed to address the gross imbalances between a collection of wildly different economies, all of which have been deprived of the corrective mechanism of variable exchange and interest rates.

So, the large majority of states using the Euro confederate, and increasingly caucus to take decisions. Once they reach a critical number, they can pass anything as a bloc by QMV without the non-Euro states getting a say.

At that point, if we won't go all in then we end up in a not dissimilar position to the EEA countries anyway. That's what this "outer ring" is eventually likely to resemble. That's fine if you like a Norwayesque compromise, but much of the pro-EU sales patter is about keeping our seat at the top table, which this doesn't achieve.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

So you think the ERG headbangers will be enthusiastically campaigning for the deal?
    I don’t think it matters. Identification with Leave or Remain is already stronger than party ID. A campaign will not change much either way.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    I have to say that I've never held Dominic Cummings in high regard. Generally thinking him at best a madman and at worst a sociopath. This is well worth watching though - remainers would be fools not to watch. They might even like the bit at the end when he talks about Tory MPs and the NHS. Is he subtly self aggrandising? Maybe. But it's revelatory how he basically claims to got have a bunch of physics nerds to work out which voters to target and tried to keep most Brexit MPs as far away from the action as possible. The bit at the end regarding the Tories and the NHS was well worth waiting for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDbRxH9Kiy4
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

I don’t think it matters. Identification with Leave or Remain is already stronger than party ID. A campaign will not change much either way.
    Take a look at the Telegraph or Mail comment sections and you'll see armies of vociferous Brexiteers who now regard actually delivering Brexit as a Remainer betrayal.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Some Remain campaigns have been fined as well.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

I think some people would see the analogy with VAR rather differently. The ball is clearly over the line but the ref doesn't want to give the goal so he keeps on at his assistant to check again.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

Take a look at the Telegraph or Mail comment sections and you'll see armies of vociferous Brexiteers who now regard actually delivering Brexit as a Remainer betrayal.
    Dream on. They won’t be voting for your side.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Why would remain see a significant decrease? Few have switched as we continually hear, and this is the last best hope they have.
    Because there are many who voted remain reluctantly last time who are turned off by being asked to vote again. There was really very little great enthusiasm for the EU in the last vote. That will be even less if it happens again.
    There were a lot of Tories who voted remain last time out as a result of loyalty to Cameron and Osborne along with the Tory establishment. Remainers are a handful of eccentrics in the Tory party these days and Mays successor will be campaigning for the revised deal. I think remainers are wildly over confident about the result.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

They won't be voting at all.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

Brexit is an affliction of the post-war generations. Not enough of them were voters in 1975 but their relative Euroscepticism was already there.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/07/31/the-referendums-of-1975-and-2016-illustrate-the-continuity-and-change-in-british-euroscepticism/
    60 % of the youngest voters supported Remain in 1975. 36% of those same voters did in 2016. Case closed.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    GIN1138 said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah, it's not even about the EU and Brexit anymore really. It's about who has control. The Establishment or The People.
    And there`s the rub... It is the Establishment (ie top Tory politicians) who have taken over the management of the People side..... They get everywhere. You can vote against them, but then you are voting for them - a different set of them, of course.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Why would remain see a significant decrease? Few have switched as we continually hear, and this is the last best hope they have.
    Because there are many who voted remain reluctantly last time who are turned off by being asked to vote again. There was really very little great enthusiasm for the EU in the last vote. That will be even less if it happens again.
    There were a lot of Tories who voted remain last time out as a result of loyalty to Cameron and Osborne along with the Tory establishment. Remainers are a handful of eccentrics in the Tory party these days and Mays successor will be campaigning for the revised deal. I think remainers are wildly over confident about the result.
    Maybe they took the doom and gloom warnings a bit too seriously. But I doubt they are enjoying all the talk of no food, no medicine and motorways full of parked up lorries, right now, either.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Problem with a second referendum is what is the question. The Leave vote has been remarkably resilient in the polls given 2 years on unrelenting pressure to change with no counter argument and a second referendum when the first hasn’t been honoured would be scandal.
    Doesn't matter. If there is a second referendum the only question that matters will be:

How many times will they make us vote until we give the "right" answer?
    That’s fair given how often the EU have used that tactic in the past. I am sure there are plenty of Remainers in the “as often as it takes” frame of mind
    Wasn't aware that the EU could instigate referendums in member states.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

I think that 's what 2nd referendum supporters are counting on, but they could well be wrong. It depends whether the Deal is uppermost in voters ' minds or whether Brexit is.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

i don't know anyone who thinks a #peoplesvote would be a pushover for Remain.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

What revised deal?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

Like I have said, if Leavers really believed this guff, they would have no fear of a #Peoplesvote."

(1) We've had a people's vote already, unless you're under the impression, it was restricted to animals. Leave won, remember.
    (2) We had no fear of a vote, but how many times do Leave have to win to win? The powers that be said once is enough. Were they lying? If so, what's the point of voting again?
    (3) Following on from (2), how many times do Remain have to win a referendum for it to count? I suspect once will be enough?
    (4) You do realise that re-running referenda when the losers don't like the answer is a recipe for continual referenda asking the same question. If it isn't, why does one side get preferential treatment.
    (5) Why should we vote again? We gave you our answer.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

I think that 's what 2nd referendum supporters are counting on, but they could well be wrong. It depends whether the Deal is uppermost in voters ' minds or whether Brexit is.
    Well kudos to these voters if they can indeed work out what their political Brexiter champions cannot, and put the survival of Brexit itself ahead of obsession with the small print of the deal.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Like the original Golgafrinchams, the Hard Brexiteers never reach Australia. Nor do the rest of us leave the UK. That oversexed overhaired underbrained wazzock Johnson saying he knows more about building cars than the boss of Jaguar. It really is Trump level politics. "I think we should do this and everything will be fine" "no here are precise details as to why it won't based on years of professional experience" "WRONG. Sad. Fake News"

Why do we need to listen to the boss of JLR giving 20 years of expert advice about Brexit and car making? What does he know that Brian the angry Brexiteer backed by 20 years of reading the Daily Mail cant tell us better? What next? Cornwall who rely on EU monies voting to leave deciding to appoint a Cornish ambassador to the EU to go begging for the continuation of the monies Cornish voters insisted didn't exist?
    Said “EU monies” being a percentage of the money the U.K. sends to them.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

Brexit in the form of a gesture of defiance simply won't exist in the same way as it did in 2016. The revolutionary moment has passed and cannot be recaptured because the revolution has failed.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

The concern with this view is that, if the single currency is to survive in the long term, the Eurozone will probably have to have some form of common Government: a Treasury, shared borrowing, shared taxation and redistribution of money through fiscal transfers are arguably needed to address the gross imbalances between a collection of wildly different economies, all of which have been deprived of the corrective mechanism of variable exchange and interest rates.

So, the large majority of states using the Euro confederate, and increasingly caucus to take decisions. Once they reach a critical number, they can pass anything as a bloc by QMV without the non-Euro states getting a say.

At that point, if we won't go all in then we end up in a not dissimilar position to the EEA countries anyway. That's what this "outer ring" is eventually likely to resemble. That's fine if you like a Norwayesque compromise, but much of the pro-EU sales patter is about keeping our seat at the top table, which this doesn't achieve.
    Well, if/when that happens deal with it then? Presumably as part of the required Treaty change.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

So when the libdems behave unethically but get off on a technicality that’s ok?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Generated by our trade with the Single Market.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

Matches my memory. Voting In in
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

I don’t think it matters. Identification with Leave or Remain is already stronger than party ID.

That's precisely the point though. The ERG (and hardcore remainers) are going against the bulk of their parliamentary party at least who, however enthusiastically, are backing the deal. Many members support them. And so will many voters. And so the question of if the ERG would campaign for the deal in a deal/remain referendum is useful as a proxy. Not a direct one, granted. But just as the ERG will not back a deal they do not accept, so too will leavers in the public. Whether that translates to a transfer vote to remain, or people staying at home, who can say, but it will very likely hit leave's support.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Like I have said, if Leavers really believed this guff, they would have no fear of a #Peoplesvote."

(1) We've had a people's vote already, unless you're under the impression, it was restricted to animals. Leave won, remember.
    (2) We had no fear of a vote, but how many times do Leave have to win to win? The powers that be said once is enough. Were they lying? If so, what's the point of voting again?
    (3) Following on from (2), how many times do Remain have to win a referendum for it to count? I suspect once will be enough?
    (4) You do realise that re-running referenda when the losers don't like the answer is a recipe for continual referenda asking the same question. If it isn't, why does one side get preferential treatment.
    (5) Why should we vote again? We gave you our answer.

1. Not on the deal
    2. To force through such a major traumatic change, a second confirmatory vote is entirely reasonable
    3. Other countries recognise that big shifts in the status quo need more than a one-off 50%+1
    4. See 3. above
    5. See 1. above
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The WA loses heavily tomorrow.

The most practical way to avoid No Deal is for May to re-present it as soon as possible with the rider that it is subject to approval in a 2nd Ref: 'Leave with the Deal versus Remain'.

The HoC would pass that. The EU would extend A50 to await the outcome.

As a Remainer, I suspect there's a good chance the the Deal will win (sadly). So be it.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

I do. Well, the deal has a small chance, but remain starts with big advantages.
  • Options
    Matches my memory. I was just too young to vote, but it was clear all the older people I knew were voting in. The untrendy gits who were in the war. Us cool youngsters were for getting out. Mainly because the oldies were in.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited January 2019

Royalblue said

"Lots of us don’t. We don’t see why the electorate should have to ratify a decision they made in 2016 because the losers can’t accept defeat gracefully, but that does not mean we wouldn’t have a very good chance of winning.

Of the non-political people I talk to, most of whom voted Remain, none think the result would be different. I only know people who have switched from Remain to Leave, but also have family who voted Leave who have now died".

How exactly do leavers accept defeat gracefully? I would accept May's deal as a compromise even though I think it's not as good as remaining. However the ultras won't accept the form of leave that the government has negotiated and are pushing us into a form of Brexit that one of your leavers (Fox) today described as economic suicide.

The hardliners are overplaying their hand and sowing the seed of Brexit's demise.

• Options
    Another thing on Cummings - I wonder if the 2015 election may have fooled Cameron and Osborne. They won after 5 years of austerity never mind that it was at the expense of their Lib Dems partners and with just 38% of the vote. Britain was clearly a country of the liberal right. It seems Clegg and Coetzee may have thought the same thing to. It's just unfortunately for them the public decided to reward the Tories for the coalition's record and they were ignored. Why not draft Stuart Rose to front the Remain campaign? The sort of outward looking modern businessman British people trust?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Leave will run on people vs politicians.

Fronted, inevitably, by Theresa May, the Prime Minister. It's what she and the Tory establishment want.

That's going to be an effective people vs politicians situation?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

How exactly do leavers accept defeat gracefully? I would accept May's deal as a compromise even though I think it's not as good as remaining. However the ultras won't accept the form of leave that the government has negotiated and are pushing us into a form of Brexit that one of your leavers (Fox) today described as economic suicide.

The hardliners are overplaying their hand and sowing the seed of Brexit's demise.

I think those seeds have spouted and are ready for harvesting already.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    So - a dysfunctional government and brexit chaos......

Yet Labour are 6 points behind

Says it all really.
  • Options

The most practical way to avoid No Deal is for May to re-present it as soon as possible with the rider that it is subject to approval in a 2nd Ref: 'Leave with the Deal versus Remain'.

As a Remainer, I suspect there's a good chance the the Deal will win (sadly). So be it.

Yes, that seems to be the obvious way forward, though I think the result would be a coin toss.
  • Options

I would be content for that to happen but who knows ?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Foxy said:

Labour to her bones, and yet you could never tell as speaker. We could do with returning to that.

• Options
    Andrew said:

Foxy said:

Labour to her bones, and yet you could never tell as speaker. We could do with returning to that.

Can you tell Bercow is a Tory?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Well, if/when that happens deal with it then? Presumably as part of the required Treaty change.
    Such a situation is likely to come about through a separate arrangement concluded between the Eurozone states. Within the broader EU context, nothing can be done to prevent the Eurozone members from co-operating closely with each other on all or most issues, if they feel they need to do so to make the single currency work.

We only get a say if a new treaty applicable to the whole EU needs to be concluded, or an existing such treaty amended. This might well be unnecessary.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

So when the libdems behave unethically but get off on a technicality that’s ok?
    As I understand it remain spending has a question mark over it too.... yet the electoral commission seems unduly relaxed about much the same activity that leave undertook.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Andrew said:

Foxy said:

A good speaker (and Speaker, so I hear), but I find the argument that no one dreamed we'd be facing a worst case scenario a very weak one, since whatever everyone intended or promised, all MPs knew that if you don't agree a deal you get no deal, and they still triggered it. So they did know the risk of a worst case scenario, they just miscalculated it, as indeed did I. Simply saying that despite previous commitments the costs of no deal are too high, now the risk has been reassessed, is a sufficient argument in itself I think, without in essence saying the people and the MPs were too stupid to notice the risks at all.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Problem with a second referendum is what is the question. The Leave vote has been remarkably resilient in the polls given 2 years on unrelenting pressure to change with no counter argument and a second referendum when the first hasn’t been honoured would be scandal.
    Doesn't matter. If there is a second referendum the only question that matters will be:

How many times will they make us vote until we give the "right" answer?
    That’s fair given how often the EU have used that tactic in the past. I am sure there are plenty of Remainers in the “as often as it takes” frame of mind
    Wasn't aware that the EU could instigate referendums in member states.
    The EU never interfere in the politics of nation states..... oh wait.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Despite all the superficially persuasive slogans that haveose.
    It would not go away.

I do. Well, the deal has a small chance, but remain starts with big advantages.
    I think Remain's biggest advantage would be a widespread belief that Parliament will never honour a result that rejects EU membership. So why bother?

But I don't think it would be a foregone conclusion.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

I think some people would see the analogy with VAR rather differently. The ball is clearly over the line but the ref doesn't want to give the goal so he keeps on at his assistant to check again.
    And there was a disputed goal at both ends - only one keeps getting reviewed for some reason
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes, that seems to be the obvious way forward, though I think the result would be a coin toss.
    I am fine with either result
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    To think we could have done this one month ago. May did us such a disservice by delaying.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Leave will not have the help of anti-establishment outriders this time. Leave will be the establishment.
    Utter horseshit
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It would put the ERG in a deliciously difficult position. It also keeps May in post.

Both of which she may see as positive.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Foxy said:

House of Unelected Has-Beens :lol:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Many things are not in Merkel's gift. The idea concessions would have to wait is bloody daft, since if something politically has its guts ripped out you cannot just stuff them back in and pretend no one noticed. No, you have to put some armour on or avoid the gutting in the first place. If you cannot, you fail.

The suggestion Varadkar and the EU will finally concede to an end date to the backstop once the deal fails is as close to barmy as it gets. What, they didn't take on board May's banging on to them for months on end that she needed that concession to even have a hope?
  • Options
    Bored with Brexit? Explain this instead:

https://twitter.com/RichardNabavi/status/1084937174003400706
  • Options

Matches my memory. I was just too young to vote, but it was clear all the older people I knew were voting in. The untrendy gits who were in the war. Us cool youngsters were for getting out. Mainly because the oldies were in.

The interesting thing was how Remain won the campaign so convincingly. The early polling had indicated Leave.

Saunders book on the subject is quite fascinating:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yes-Europe-Referendum-Seventies-Britain/dp/1108425356
  • Options
    This is getting silly. A second referendum for the losers' options without a Leave option?

A second referendum with a leave with the negotiated deal vs leave with no-deal makes some sort of sense.

Mr B2,

"To force through such a major traumatic change, a second confirmatory vote is entirely reasonable."

Joining was not a major traumatic change then? A second vote needed to confirm? News to me and nearly everyone else. I think that's called changing the rules after the result is known. Do you honestly believe any sentient being thinks that's logical?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Lol. When was the last time that the turnout in any vote actually mattered, in terms of the result? You need to take a step back and look at some of the nonsense you post.
    We will make it matter. Like I said, you might win that particular battle but you will lose the war. Why? Because will never give up. You Remoaners will have taught us a very important lesson over the past two years. Democracy no longer matters. What matters is keeping the pressure on and taking every opportunity to undermine and destroy your enemies. In the end you will wish you had lost
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I back the deal too, Daily Mail, but I think you might be overselling the positive impact it would have.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Generated by our trade with the Single Market.
    Collected as tax from U.K. taxpayers
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Meanwhile, on Mumsnet, a poster asks when people think that the airports will get busy in March with people deciding they're best off out of the country temporarily in case there is disruption on Brexit day and the immediate aftermath.

This would be a bit like Dunkirk in reverse then?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

This is getting silly. A second referendum for the losers' options without a Leave option?

A second referendum with a leave with the negotiated deal vs leave with no-deal makes some sort of sense.

Mr B2,

"To force through such a major traumatic change, a second confirmatory vote is entirely reasonable."

Joining was not a major traumatic change then? A second vote needed to confirm? News to me and nearly everyone else. I think that's called changing the rules after the result is known. Do you honestly believe any sentient being thinks that's logical?

I believe I am a sentient being.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

To think we could have done this one month ago. May did us such a disservice by delaying.

No question. Given the Sun is basically suggesting once the deal is voted down perhaps more concessions might come (not that I believe that), it only emphasises that the only thing it seemed designed to accomplish was to prevent a leadership challenge which they seemed to think would come once the MV was lost. And it provoked it anyway. May lost a lot of the respect she still retained that day.
  • Options

First World War commemorative plate?
  • Options

Meanwhile, on Mumsnet, a poster asks when people think that the airports will get busy in March with people deciding they're best off out of the country temporarily in case there is disruption on Brexit day and the immediate aftermath.

This would be a bit like Dunkirk in reverse then?

Would you like to buy a BYOB* ticket on Seabourne Ferries?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Many things are not in Merkel's gift. The idea concessions would have to wait is bloody daft, since if something politically has its guts ripped out you cannot just stuff them back in and pretend no one noticed. No, you have to put some armour on or avoid the gutting in the first place. If you cannot, you fail.

The suggestion Varadkar and the EU will finally concede to an end date to the backstop once the deal fails is as close to barmy as it gets. What, they didn't take on board May's banging on to them for months on end that she needed that concession to even have a hope?
    And yet, who knows
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019

Yes, that's what I always assumed, but it's a bit of a strange one.
  • Options

My cat likes pigeons too.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It would not go away.

Lol. When was the last time that the turnout in any vote actually mattered, in terms of the result? You need to take a step back and look at some of the nonsense you post.
    We will make it matter. Like I said, you might win that particular battle but you will lose the war. Why? Because will never give up. You Remoaners will have taught us a very important lesson over the past two years. Democracy no longer matters. What matters is keeping the pressure on and taking every opportunity to undermine and destroy your enemies. In the end you will wish you had lost
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjMQbzBhTb4
  • Options
    Mr Tyndall,

"Democracy no longer matters."

Unfortunately, that is the lesson to be learned, and that is why it's so dangerous. 'All that matters is winning' might make the winner feel good, but pretending it's a form of democracy is embarrassing.

Come clean, some of the losers can't take it, and to them, that's all that matters.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Because these erses like JLR boss have lied and filled their own pockets for years and years, so now when they cry wolf most people just assume they are just lying again and getting an extra pocket in their suits.
  • Options

I'll have to find out tomorrow - need an early night tonight, I think tomorrow's going to be a late one!

'Night all!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

And yet, who knows
    The best hope for a deal is basically an unexplainable mass conversion from doubting MPs, despite the largest group of them knowing the power exists to remain, and the hail mary of 'anything is possible, who knows what might happen'.

I really would like to see a path to some kind of deal, I truly would (the best one is a referendum), but given the available options I don't see how the PM, fresh of the back of a 150-200 defeat, will be particularly persuasive.

What's she going to do? Thank the Commons for humiliating her as now it means the EU will wake up? She might as well whip her own party to vote against then.
  • Options

Boxer rebellion? There is a German flag too.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

No question. Given the Sun is basically suggesting once the deal is voted down perhaps more concessions might come (not that I believe that), it only emphasises that the only thing it seemed designed to accomplish was to prevent a leadership challenge which they seemed to think would come once the MV was lost. And it provoked it anyway. May lost a lot of the respect she still retained that day.
    Indications are she has not lost respect from the public.

Indeed, I believe she is one of the reasons the party has held up in the polling
  • Options
    Mr Pointer,

"I believe I am a sentient being."

I used to think you were too. It just shows how wrong we both were.
This discussion has been closed.