Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whatever you think of Bercow it is right that the executive ha

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Greg Hands was one of the Conservative MPs I'd had down as uncommitted. Theresa May seems to be losing the uncommitted to "against" at the moment.

The other uncommitted Conservative MPs I have are:

Adam Afriyie Windsor
    Bob Blackman Harrow East
    Graham Brady Altrincham and Sale West
    Jack Brereton Stoke-on-Trent South
    Kevin Foster Torbay
    Eddie Hughes Walsall North
    Ian Liddell-Grainger Bridgwater and West Somerset
    Jonathan Lord Woking
    Alan Mak Havant
    Daniel Poulter Central Suffolk and North Ipswich
    Tom Pursglove Corby
    Keith Simpson Broadland
    Julian Sturdy York Outer

Till now I'd expected Theresa May would pick up substantially all of these. Now I expect she'll lose more than half.

I was told last night Pursglove was going to resign this morning to vote against the deal.
    I can't see Kevin Foster being anything other than for the Deal. (Not that I've spoken to him. But he's bag-carrier for David Lidington.)
    He's played his cards very close to his chest.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694

Greetings from Sydney! Thought I’d get away from it all. Not a bit of it - Brexit and the likely outcome of the meaningful vote led the 6 o’clock news....

Malcolm Turnbull nailed it (or rather William Dalrymple did).

https://twitter.com/turnbullmalcolm/status/1084915377505677317?s=21
    A year or so back, Australia produced a White Paper that was somewhat wistful about being on the wrong side of the world from the European Union.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Roger said:

Thesesa May has chosen to lose her status as an honest broker and has become instead an evangelist for Brexit with the zeal of a new convert.

It's a very strange thing to have done both for her legacy and her party. Her reputation had become enhanced over the last few months and she she's now trashed it.

Just like remain and democracy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:
    In a tribute to Game of Thrones, can we have the Mountain throw those who vote against the deal out of the moon door?

Oh and Gove too....just for the shitz n giggles. "The look on your face....."
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Roger said:

Greetings from Sydney! Thought I’d get away from it all. Not a bit of it - Brexit and the likely outcome of the meaningful vote led the 6 o’clock news....

By 'cultural vandalism' I wonder if he's referring to the concept of restricting our ability to live and work in Florence Rome and Paris in return for keeping foreigners out of Stoke Hull and Hartlepool?
    Which one of these is more important to the people of Stoke, Hull and Hartlepool ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

Oh the irony - the Speaker allowing the Legislature to take powers away from the Executive, solely so that the Legislature can rob the Voters of their voice - and in doing so, ensure the Legislature's own powers are massively diluted by Brussels.....

MP's are not delegates and as Conservatives MP's have shown in the past they are not bound by the majority view in a referendum.
    And a people's vote on the deal is hardly robbing them of a voice.
    It is when leave hasn't been implemented in the first place.
    No, really it isn't. Pushing through a specific deal that people hadn't seen or known anything about three years ago is denying them a voice.
  • Options

Greg Hands was one of the Conservative MPs I'd had down as uncommitted. Theresa May seems to be losing the uncommitted to "against" at the moment.

Adam Afriyie Windsor
    Bob Blackman Harrow East
    Kevin Foster Torbay
    Jonathan Lord Woking
    Alan Mak Havant
    Tom Pursglove Corby
    Keith Simpson Broadland
    Julian Sturdy York Outer

Till now I'd expected Theresa May would pick up substantially all of these. Now I expect she'll lose more than half.

I was told last night Pursglove was going to resign this morning to vote against the deal.
    I can't see Kevin Foster being anything other than for the Deal. (Not that I've spoken to him. But he's bag-carrier for David Lidington.)
    He has a very Brexity seat.....
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited January 2019
    FF43 said:

A year or so back, Australia produced a White Paper that was somewhat wistful about being on the wrong side of the world from the European Union.
    If they asked to join, would they be refused? More money for the eastern states, a decent military, well-placed as a bridge to Asia...

I guess the French would veto.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

Oh the irony - the Speaker allowing the Legislature to take powers away from the Executive, solely so that the Legislature can rob the Voters of their voice - and in doing so, ensure the Legislature's own powers are massively diluted by Brussels.....

MP's are not delegates and as Conservatives MP's have shown in the past they are not bound by the majority view in a referendum.
    The leave they all promised to implement in their manifestos.

A new "Listening Party" would clean up.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    SunnyJim said:

BudG said:

Problem with that is that it would also force the Tories to expose their GE position. Surely after over 100 of their sitting MP's have just voted against passing May's deal, it cannot be "Elect us and we will pass May's deal"

With an explicit manifesto commitment to implement then it would be up to current MP's to decide whether their views on the deal would allow them to stand as candidates.

Unfortunately in 2017 many stood on the manifesto without having any real intention of honouring it.

Democratically shameful in all honesty.

So 18 months on, you expect over 100 leopards to change their spots?
  • Options

Adam Afriyie Windsor
    Bob Blackman Harrow East
    Kevin Foster Torbay
    Jonathan Lord Woking
    Alan Mak Havant
    Tom Pursglove Corby
    Keith Simpson Broadland
    Julian Sturdy York Outer

He has a very Brexity seat.....
    See my post yesterday. He might well decide to be a delegate rather than a representative for electoral reasons. Jack Brereton must be under huge pressure to do the same, whatever his personal feelings.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Roger said:

By 'cultural vandalism' I wonder if he's referring to the concept of restricting our ability to live and work in Florence Rome and Paris in return for keeping foreigners out of Stoke Hull and Hartlepool?

Wow.

This is why remain lost in one paragraph.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    Isn’t the bottom line of today’s vote completely obvious and very frightening?

Politicians who stood side by side to get the electorate to vote leave, now violently disagreeing about May’s deal? How do you disagree with that statement?
    So, how is it anti democracy and not good democracy to also ask the voters, when, you voted leave, you had leave in your head, now this is negotiated and compromised and agreed, is this particular flavour of leave to your taste?

There’s an element here of switching between two different types of democracy, rather than being consistent what good democracy is?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Interesting that the ERG prediction of 5 resigning PPSs has proved (so far) entirely false. Following their failures with the early attempts at a VONC, this suggests that someone (Steve Baker?) is motivated in not-for-attribution briefings more by hope than knowledge.
  • Options

Going back to the theme of tax avoidance the Commission is proposing to remove states right of veto on tax affairs

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article187054320/EU-Bruessel-will-das-Veto-Recht-bei-Steuerfragen-kippen.html

"Do you want Brussels setting your tax rate?"
  • Options
    dots said:

Isn’t the bottom line of today’s vote completely obvious and very frightening?

Politicians who stood side by side to get the electorate to vote leave, now violently disagreeing about May’s deal? How do you disagree with that statement?
    So, how is it anti democracy and not good democracy to also ask the voters, when, you voted leave, you had leave in your head, now this is negotiated and compromised and agreed, is this particular flavour of leave to your taste?

There’s an element here of switching between two different types of democracy, rather than being consistent what good democracy is?

It's politicians who stood side by side saying in their 2017 manifestos they would implement Brexit - and then not implementing it - that is obvious.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Going back to the theme of tax avoidance the Commission is proposing to remove states right of veto on tax affairs

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article187054320/EU-Bruessel-will-das-Veto-Recht-bei-Steuerfragen-kippen.html

I’d certainly prefer it be set by Brussels than John McDonnell
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930

What the Commission proposes are what happens are not necessarily the same thing!
  • Options

Interesting that the ERG prediction of 5 resigning PPSs has proved (so far) entirely false. Following their failures with the early attempts at a VONC, this suggests that someone (Steve Baker?) is motivated in not-for-attribution briefings more by hope than knowledge.

He must be a poster on here.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

No, really it isn't. Pushing through a specific deal that people hadn't seen or known anything about three years ago is denying them a voice.

May's deal is very much on the soft side of Brexit so there isn't a credible argument to be had that voters are being denied a voice.

Or if they are, the denial is of the type of Brexit that had millions of words written and countless hours of television produced about it.

The truth of course is that we have a parliament with a majority of MP's who never intended to implement the will of the people if their verdict wasn't remain.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Thesesa May has chosen to lose her status as an honest broker and has become instead an evangelist for Brexit with the zeal of a new convert.

It's a very strange thing to have done both for her legacy and her party. Her reputation had become enhanced over the last few months and she she's now trashed it.

Not true. Leave was never going to be a one word answer and the problem is that it's taken us two years to understand this. Perhaps we had to go through this process to realise what membership of the EU was. It's not and never has been what the SUN has been peddling. Bendy bananas benefit scroungers and a way for terrorists to flout the law. And now people have more understanding we should vote again.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SunnyJim said:

The truth of course is that we have a parliament with a majority of MP's who never intended to implement the will of the people if their verdict wasn't remain.

Most of the people who will vote against the implementing the will of the people tonight are Brexiteers
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Roger said:

Wow.

This is why remain lost in one paragraph.
    Yep.

I wonder why Roger never mentions places like Bradford which voted leave.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Mr. Brooke, that's a nice analogy, though I did focus on the tactical not strategic results.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

IanB2 said:

May's deal is very much on the soft side of Brexit so there isn't a credible argument to be had that voters are being denied a voice.

Or if they are, the denial is of the type of Brexit that had millions of words written and countless hours of television produced about it.

Of course voters are being denied a voice. Because we don't have one (yet, perhaps).

A goodly proportion of those who will be bringing the Brexit deal down are MPs who claim always to have wanted it.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Scott_P said:
    Winter is indeed coming.

Shamelessly cherry picking the day 8 chart from this morning's ECMWF.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/ECMOPEU00_192_1.png
  • Options
    Roger said:

Not true. Leave was never going to be a one word answer and the problem is that it's taken us two years to understand this. Perhaps we had to go through this process to realise what membership of the EU was. It's not and never has been what the SUN has been peddling. Bendy bananas benefit scroungers and a way for terrorists to flout the law. And now people have more understanding we should vote again.

And if we were to remain you would have no issue with a 3rd referendum as the EU changes and peoples understanding of it changes with it?

Or is the vote again plan only valid until you get the particular answer you want?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

SunnyJim said:

Most of the people who will vote against the implementing the will of the people tonight are Brexiteers
    Not true. On Tory side that May be true but overall with Labour, SNP, Lib Dems etc that's totally untrue.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    ydoethur said:

Agree with this, we're seeing some quite unorthodox moves, but it's in response to a very unorthodox situation where by creating a delay for an obviously-bogus negotiation then trying to run down the clock, the Prime Minister is attempting a Denial of Service attack on her own parliament.

Very nicely put. When are you going to write some lead articles? Seriously - you're wasted by being only below the line.
    Well, we have a number of others who are wasted when they post below the line. SeanT and Tim/Grabcocque both spring to mind.

Oh, you mean 'wasted' as in, 'not being used to full effectiveness?'
    I hadn’t realised Grabcoque was Tim under a pseudonym! Really?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

ydoethur said:

Agree with this, we're seeing some quite unorthodox moves, but it's in response to a very unorthodox situation where by creating a delay for an obviously-bogus negotiation then trying to run down the clock, the Prime Minister is attempting a Denial of Service attack on her own parliament.

Very nicely put. When are you going to write some lead articles? Seriously - you're wasted by being only below the line.
    Well, we have a number of others who are wasted when they post below the line. SeanT and Tim/Grabcocque both spring to mind.

At least his new name provides something by way of forewarning.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I backed Fewer than 200 MPs to back the deal yesterday at 8.2 (and 200-209 at 6.4) on Betfair. The lower band can be laid now at 5.2. The higher band is roughly the same.

However, 200-249 can be backed at 1.72 on Ladbrokes, which I've done. So if MPs supporting May's deal number 249 or lower, I'm green.

Edited extra bit: the 'boost' bumps that all the way to 1.75, so practically the same, but nicer numerically if you have a stake that's a multiple of four.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

OT Kamala Harris trying to be cool. It's not horrifyingly cringeworthy or anything but I'd say it's a nah.

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1085009675744145408

The selection was obviously carefully curated so, au moins, she is being well advised.

Can you imagine May doing this? She'd probably pick the theme tune from the Antiques Roadshow for every category and then later lie about it.

Haven’t listened ... is Kamala Chameleon in there ?
    Prince
    Saint Bob
    Funkadelic
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Too Short
    Queen B
    Salt-n-Pepa

The selection was scrupulously hip with a populist twist.

Solid line up! One of the least PB Tory bunch of flavas one could compose.

Selecta!
  • Options

I backed Fewer than 200 MPs to back the deal yesterday at 8.2 (and 200-209 at 6.4) on Betfair. The lower band can be laid now at 5.2. The higher band is roughly the same.

However, 200-249 can be backed at 1.72 on Ladbrokes, which I've done. So if MPs supporting May's deal number 249 or lower, I'm green.

Edited extra bit: the 'boost' bumps that all the way to 1.75, so practically the same, but nicer numerically if you have a stake that's a multiple of four.

You look very safe to me. I make it about 1.3 that it will be in the 200-249 band with almost all the risk on the lower number.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Anazina said:

ydoethur said:

He isn't. Tim was pro-Labour and largely incoherent; Grabcocque is a former Tory council candidate, trivially Googlable and hilariously coherent.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

ydoethur said:

I don't think it does to look too closely at pseudonyms.

But in any case, Grabcoque is not Tim.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, not too long to find out.

200-209 would be ideal, but we'll see how things turn out. Mildly surprised that the lower band declined so much on Betfair, after I'd made that (tiny) bet I'd anticipated, from the mood music, the estimate in favour to rise.
  • Options
    Comrades - we are heading towards a No Deal. That is the default position and there is no majority in Parliament for another one. A No Deal suits both party leaders: May gets to end freedom of movement for foreigners and Brits, her only guiding light; Corbyn gets an economic catastrophe, his only chance of electoral victory. Hold tight.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Winter is indeed coming.

Shamelessly cherry picking the day 8 chart from this morning's ECMWF.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/ECMOPEU00_192_1.png
    lol!

Great to see a fellow weather fan on here. Yes, the euro run last night was a picture. Shame that that killjoy Trumpton appears to have spiked the GFS!
  • Options
    So Hillary Benn’s withdrawn his amendment.

That I think makes extension/revocation of Article 50 more likely.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, I think No Deal is still 4 on Ladbrokes.

Upon checking, yes, it is.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited January 2019

Macron hints he will introduce immigration quotas

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2019/01/14/01016-20190114ARTFIG00235-macron-ressuscite-le-debat-sur-l-instauration-de-quotas-migratoires-annuels.php

it does make you wonder just how bad Merkel and the Commissions judgement called it with Cameron. This is increasingly the european norm.

It's not up to them, freedom of movement is part of the basic quid pro quo that gets poorer countries open their markets to richer countries. The poorer countries won't give that up with nothing in return, and the richer countries can't suddenly unilaterally rip up that bit of the agreement.

But in any case Macron isn't hinting that he's going to do it. Read the letter the article is talking about:
    http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/2019/01/13/01002-20190113ARTFIG00156-grand-debat-national-la-lettre-aux-francais-d-emmanuel-macron.php

He's faced with a bunch of popular protests with a bunch of comically vague aspirations, so he's come back at them with, "OK, what do you suggest we do specifically?" You want to cut taxes, which taxes do you want to cut, and what spending do you want to cut to pay for it? You're not happy with immigration - what do you suggest we do, have parliament set targets? What are you actually suggesting we do? This is not at all advocacy of everything he mentions in the letter.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930

That is after all, necessary for economic sanity, let alone safety.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger

I feel so utterly let down by you

today the we have social media letting fly on the Gillette advert and not a word from you.

youre too involved in Brexit wrangling to see whats happening in the real world.

You can take the man out of Hartlepool ........
  • Options

Comrades - we are heading towards a No Deal. That is the default position and there is no majority in Parliament for another one. A No Deal suits both party leaders: May gets to end freedom of movement for foreigners and Brits, her only guiding light; Corbyn gets an economic catastrophe, his only chance of electoral victory. Hold tight.

Nah
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Morning all,

Momentous day in politics.

The Murrison amendment is unicorn chasing isn't it? Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited January 2019

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2019/01/14/01016-20190114ARTFIG00235-macron-ressuscite-le-debat-sur-l-instauration-de-quotas-migratoires-annuels.php

it does make you wonder just how bad Merkel and the Commissions judgement called it with Cameron. This is increasingly the european norm.

It's not up to them, freedom of movement is part of the basic quid pro quo that gets poorer countries open their markets to richer countries. The poorer countries won't give that up with nothing in return, and the richer countries can't suddenly unilaterally rip up that bit of the agreement.

But in any case Macron isn't hinting that he's going to do it. Read the letter the article is talking about:
    http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/2019/01/13/01002-20190113ARTFIG00156-grand-debat-national-la-lettre-aux-francais-d-emmanuel-macron.php

He's faced with a bunch of popular protests with a bunch of comically vague aspirations, so he's come back at them with, "OK, what do you suggest we do specifically?" You want to cut taxes, which taxes do you want to cut, and what spending do you want to cut to pay for it? You're not happy with immigration - what do you suggest we do, have parliament set targets? What are you actually suggesting we do? This is not at all advocacy of everything he mentions in the letter.
    I read the letter yesterday and the french reaction to it. Its bombed and Macron is struggling.
    Not only struggling but reversing every piece of legislation he has proposed.

Yesterdays wheeze was to reverse the speed limit reduction and put the national limit back to 90km/h with his ministers saying the reduction didnt really do anything.

The man is desperate and it shows.
  • Options

Benn's proposal was politically illiterate.
  • Options

I read the letter yesterday and the french reaction to it. Its bombed and Macron is struggling.

Yesterdays wheeze was to reverse the speed limit reduction and put the national limit back to 90km/h with his ministers saying the reduction didnt really do anything.

Isn't Macron's popularity on the rise as the Gilets lose support?

• Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

The process of a parliament that would never implement leaving the EU with a big majority of remain MP's.

With these same MP's if we voted again and remain won,remain would pass with flying colours on any votes on staying or implementing the will of the people of staying in the EU.

Even JRM would abide by the result.
  • Options

You cannot have a single market without freedom of movement.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is that right? The vote will held straight after PMQs? Is there not a few hours of debate and then a division that evening?
  • Options

Such a wasted opportunity. France desperately needs some reforms and he was on the right track with some of them.
  • Options

Not really followed this too closely, but shouldn't Macron have followed his own logic - that he is some kind of Thatcher who needs to get his country to change and face the modern the world? In which case he needed to face the gilets down.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    @AlastairMeeks Everything I know about Kevin Foster indicates he will be voting for the deal
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

May's official position will have to change to extending A50 because she's run out of time. She might even announce it tonight.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

I have some sympathy with that view.

We also have to recognise the reality of the situation. Leave had 52% support and are now divided over the form of Brexit. Leave had a slim majority when united, it stands to reason that once divided neither leave option has a majority. You have some leavers calling May's deal "traitorous" and others calling no deal "economic suicide".That is before you even discuss people changing their minds.

Basically then you are arguing that we have to embark on a major constitutional road which lacks majority support. It's not the leavers faults that is how it ended up that way (other than not having a plan they could unite behind) but it did and I can't honestly see what is "democratic" about proceeding on that basis. Difficult, major changes generally need the country behind them to succeed, this is a recipe for failure. A second vote really is needed to confirm where we go from here.
  • Options
    Mr. Smith, but to what end?

Extending Article 50, or suspended it, is not a solution in itself. The options are still, Leave with no deal, Leave with a deal, Remain.

Maybe she'll go for a referendum, and manage to split both major parties.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Ive seen no evidence of that. The last poll had him gaining 1% and having only 22% of voters approving his record versus 60+% who dont.

Personally I thought the gilets jaunes would fizzle out after the attacks on strasbourg and the Christmas break, But last Saturday they were back stronger than ever. Macrons hope is that their leadership is showing the first signs of falling out among themselves, with two of the main instigators spatting on social media. Technically this should mean a loss of impetus, but its France so who knows ?
  • Options

Such a wasted opportunity. France desperately needs some reforms and he was on the right track with some of them.
    France certainly needs it, but Macron appears to have gone out of his way to offend every segment of the population at once. His one big victory was facing down the rail union but that has been forgottn in the mess of the last 3 months.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

We also have to recognise the reality of the situation. Leave had 52% support and are now divided over the form of Brexit. Leave had a slim majority when united, it stands to reason that once divided neither leave option has a majority. You have some leavers calling May's deal "traitorous" and others calling no deal "economic suicide".That is before you even discuss people changing their minds.

Basically then you are arguing that we have to embark on a major constitutional road which lacks majority support. It's not the leavers faults that is how it ended up that way (other than not having a plan they could unite behind) but it did and I can't honestly see what is "democratic" about proceeding on that basis. Difficult, major changes generally need the country behind them to succeed, this is a recipe for failure. A second vote really is needed to confirm where we go from here.
    Very well put. Leavers arguing for no turning back regardless of everything that has happened since are simply fearful that the public has had enough of their project.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

Extending Article 50, or suspended it, is not a solution in itself. The options are still, Leave with no deal, Leave with a deal, Remain.

Extending A50 only makes sense if we get rid of May and give someone else a go at the negotiation.

The only deal that can pass is either a) softer Brexit or b) includes a promise of a referendum with remain on the ballot or c) both.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Scott_P said:
    You'd hope Corbyn would be quick out the gate with Labour's new position- ideally one that didn't require several paragraphs of explanation to the public- after a vonc failed. Similarly you'd hope that May well be quick out the gate with her plan B- ideally one which isn't "eh, let's give it a month and try again"- after her deal fails.

I have a feeling it's going to be a week of dashed hopes.
  • Options

France certainly needs it, but Macron appears to have gone out of his way to offend every segment of the population at once. His one big victory was facing down the rail union but that has been forgottn in the mess of the last 3 months.
    Indeed and it will likely be reversed now as the rail union no doubt smell blood.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Germans get a burst of angst on economy. Major concern is slowdown in exports which to date have been engine driving prosperity

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article187076370/Konjunktur-Deutsche-Wirtschaft-waechst-schwaecher-als-gedacht.html
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Extending A50 only makes sense if we get rid of May and give someone else a go at the negotiation.

The only deal that can pass is either a) softer Brexit or b) includes a promise of a referendum with remain on the ballot or c) both.
    Or d) a deal without a backstop.

You may argue that isn't available but it could.be if someone else has a go at the negotiations and the numbers are there to pass that.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

You may argue that isn't available but it could.be if someone else has a go at the negotiations and the numbers are there to pass that.

No. it really couldn't.

I do however have a bridge for sale if you are interested?
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142
    Correction to post early this morning. SPIN do now have a market up currently 218 - 226. I donut know until what time that market will be tradeable; right up until the vote or just until the bloke on the politics desk there finishes work?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045

I'm not sure T May would be happy with no deal. She's risk averse to her fingertips. We shall see.
  • Options
    Anything much happening to day. I heard there is some insignificant business in the HoC, but other than that, not much. How about a discussion on boxed wine instead?
  • Options

Germans get a burst of angst on economy. Major concern is slowdown in exports which to date have been engine driving prosperity

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article187076370/Konjunktur-Deutsche-Wirtschaft-waechst-schwaecher-als-gedacht.html

Good job the EU's negotiators have ensured the German exports to the UK aren't at any risk of -

Oh.....
  • Options
    trawl said:

Correction to post early this morning. SPIN do now have a market up currently 218 - 226. I donut know until what time that market will be tradeable; right up until the vote or just until the bloke on the politics desk there finishes work?

I was allowed a mighty £3.75 a point on that.
  • Options

trawl said:

which way?
  • Options

Ive seen no evidence of that. The last poll had him gaining 1% and having only 22% of voters approving his record versus 60+% who dont.

Personally I thought the gilets jaunes would fizzle out after the attacks on strasbourg and the Christmas break, But last Saturday they were back stronger than ever. Macrons hope is that their leadership is showing the first signs of falling out among themselves, with two of the main instigators spatting on social media. Technically this should mean a loss of impetus, but its France so who knows ?

Last French polls I’ve seen:

https://twitter.com/europeelects/status/1083852789695041539?s=21

https://twitter.com/lior_brownstein/status/1082734716736937985?s=21
  • Options

trawl said:

which way?
    Selling.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, there's a new F1 market: fastest car in testing. Not touching it myself.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

OllyT said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

Very well put. Leavers arguing for no turning back regardless of everything that has happened since are simply fearful that the public has had enough of their project.
    So from the early 1970's when we voted to join the common market and 40 odd years later,the public never had enough of the project of the EU ?

Why didn't we get a vote on the EU years ago going by what you are posting ? Double standards pal.
  • Options

That's not VI, though, just approval (for each person individually)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Mr. Urquhart, there's a new F1 market: fastest car in testing. Not touching it myself.

I would be tempted to put a few quid on Red Bull as they are the only team that may care...
  • Options

Good job the EU's negotiators have ensured the German exports to the UK aren't at any risk of -

Oh.....

Brexit is all about reducing the need for German imports. The process has already started with the drop in the £. I am always confused as to why Brexiters seem to think that the Germans will be keen on moving to a trade deal only situation and help them out.

Whether the rebalance occurs through exchange rate changes, trade barriers or regulations is slightly irrelevant. The impact is the same. The Germans have too much manufacturing capacity and will need to switch from goods to services.

• Options

He's faced with This is not at all advocacy of everything he mentions in the letter.

That's not VI, though, just approval (for each person individually)

Of course. What the polls seem to indicate is that Macron is deeply unpopular - but less so than any of the alternatives.

• Options
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

I'm not sure T May would be happy with no deal. She's risk averse to her fingertips. We shall see.
    Sure, she will do everything she is capable of to pass some version of her deal instead, but I think she'd be less unhappy with a no deal Brexit then with any of the alternatives (referendum, general election, A50 extension, revocation).

This is why no deal opponents have to decide on an alternative and a PM who would implement that alternative. We'll see if they are capable of that soon.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    edited January 2019

rkrkrk said:

Or d) a deal without a backstop.

Clear to me that's not on offer.
    But even if it was, I think there would be enough Tory rebels to stop it from passing.

Edit: 326 - 8 Tory MPs who have backed a second vote, and already she can't get the vote through. That's not including the various MPs who have concerns other than the backstop.

She needed a deal that could get some Labour support.
  • Options
    Mr. eek, problem is testing times are unhelpful due to massive fuel effect, engine modes, and tyres. Plus, lower teams sometimes want flashy times to try and attract sponsors.

Red Bull could be top, but so could many others. Not a market that tempts me remotely.
  • Options

Personally I thought the gilets jaunl media. Technically this should mean a loss of impetus, but its France so who knows ?

if Macron gets as much as 21% of the vote at the Euros he'll consider it a success. As your graph shows France has a wide number of parties which means few governments have a truly popular base.
  • Options

Personally I thought the gilets jaunl media. Technically this should mean a loss of impetus, but its France so who knows ?

if Macron gets as much as 21% of the vote at the Euros he'll consider it a success. As your graph shows France has a wide number of parties which means few governments have a truly popular base.
    Last poll put him on 27.5%
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    A brief review to set us up for the day:

1. The Withdrawal Agreement (WA) is leaving the EU. It means we would leave on March 29th.
    2. The WA is not the final trade agreement; that would be negotiated once the WA had been ratified.
    3. We will not have no deal. Or a "managed no deal" or anything similar.
    4. If the WA doesn't pass now it will come back to the HoC soon.
    5. If it doesn't pass then, there will be an A50 extension.
    6. If A50 is extended, the WA will come back and put to the HoC again.
    7. If this fails, there will be a second referendum.
    8. If there is a second referendum the question will be WA vs Remain.
    9. There will be no No Deal option on a second referendum.

And now we wait...
  • Options

It's not up to them, freedom of movement is part of the basic quid prohat bit of the agreement.

He's faced with a bunch of popular protests with a bunch of comihing he mentions in the letter.

the poll I am referring to is January 2019
  • Options

trawl said:

which way?
    Selling.
    Now down to 215-223.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2019
    Gillette faces backlash and boycott over '#MeToo advert'

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46874617

I foresee Dollar Shave Club now running a load of ads taking the piss.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    if the GJs fall apart this is only good news for Marine Le pen and Luc Melenchon imo.

Their leadership has been discussing standing as a neutral option in the Euro elections something both the RN and LFI didnt want.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Although I'm a raging SJW, I don't know what possesses companies to do daft stuff like this.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

1. The Withdrawal Agreement (WA) is leaving the EU. It means we would leave on March 29th.
    2. The WA is not the final trade agreement; that would be negotiated once the WA had been ratified.

And now we wait...

Yep, that's pretty much it. You could factor Labour's immediate VONC and its failure tomorrow into there, as well.
  • Options

It's not up to them, freedom of movement is part of the basic quid prohat bit of the agreement.

He's faced with a bunch of popular protests with a bunch of comihing he mentions in the letter.

the poll I am referring to is January 2019
    Sorry I missed the "at the Euros" part. 21% would be a reasonable target
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

I foresee Dollar Shave Club now running a load of ads taking the piss.

Gilette's 'Youtube rewind' moment..
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

And now we wait...

Yep, that's pretty much it. You could factor Labour's immediate VONC and its failure tomorrow into there, as well.
    Listening to Starmer this morning, I am none too sure they will trigger one. I am not at all sure why he wasn't able to be more emphatic. Do they wonder if the deal will pass?
This discussion has been closed.