Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On this day lets not forget the 1998 Good Friday Agreement tha

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited January 2019
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Lucy Powell's proposal to reach across the house is sensible actually - better than no deal or no Brexit nonsense perpetuated by plenty of others.

With the DUP and ERG's wishes clearly incompatible to an agreement with the EU it is an avenue worth persuing.

How many Labour backbenchers can she bring along ?

10 maybe. Labour want a general election. They don't want to reach agreement with the government.
    The professional commentariat have been STUNNED to find this large group of Labour MPs they promised would be willing to commit career suicide to rush to the defence of a doomed Tory prime has utterly failed to materialise.

Tells you all you need to know about how little the professional commentariat understand about anything.
    NPXMP called it a long time ago as up to six would vote for the deal. I see no reason to think that is underestimating the number.
    For now, yes.

Question is: what do they do once all the other options have left the table and only Deal and No Deal remain?
    Why do you think the "Extending Article 50" option will leave the table?
    I don't think the EU27 will agree to an extension just to enable the UK to keep bickering (though I think they would keep open the option of agreeing the Deal even after 29/3).

An A50 extension is highly likely if parliament has already ratified, as it'll be needed to tidy up the legislative loose ends. I think the EU would accept that because there's a clear end point in sight then.
    If they refuse an A50 extension, then we revoke A50 altogether while reserving the right to re-invoke in future, our right to do so having been confirmed by the ECJ.

Corbyn and Starmer have already indicated this is the stance they'll take if/when the no confidence motion fails.
    With the greatest of respect you cannot conditionally revoke A50 by reserving the right to re-invoke

If A50 was be to invoked again, it would need to follow another referendum or a political party receiving a majority on a manifesto commitment to leave the EU

I do not know about Corbyn but Starmer, as a lawyer, knows very well you cannot play games with revoking A50

I know we all at times get a bit carried away with our ideas but on this you are either expressing your own hope or are mistaken
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

Unfortunately many of them are arguing for more than this. Even Theresa May played to the gallery when she thought it would curry favour with the headbangers.

They are and it is illegitimate.

Perhaps the most noxious sentence in the lexicon right now* - used again and again by both Hard Leavers and Hard Remainers ...

"This is not the Brexit that people voted for".

It is.

PS: A close run thing with "Nobody voted to be poorer".
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    TOPPING said:

I think the most sensible thing Theresa May could do is hold a series of indicative votes, asking the children whether they want:

- To leave with no deal
    - To revoke Article 50
    - To hold a Revoke vs Deal referendum.
    - Or whether they'd prefer the deal after all.

Those are the options. It's already ridiculously late to be be arguing about them, they need to choose one.

She will unilaterally extend A50 and keep hammering away at the deal. Should that fail she will have to ask for a deal vs Remain referendum.
    If she does that, I think her sanity will be called into question. Seriously. To keep repeating the same failing actions over and over over....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

RobD said:

Rule out No Deal - and you rule out ANY chance of the EU blinking frst.

Which is why negotaition by House of Commons is stupid. In a commercial negotaition, you have a small team undertaking that negotiation, reporting to the Board (Cabinet). Ultimately the CEO (PM) will carry the can if that fails . But what you can NEVER have is not just every member of the Board giving direction - but every shareholder (MP) too.

In a commercial negotiation, the negotiators are given a clear set of objectives and constraints. Our negotiators have no clue what the end position is because our government has no clue.

The last two years have been a total waste of everyone's time. Whatever we settle on will be caused by force of circumstance rather than achieving what we wanted.
    The end position is immaterial, the EU are refusing to negotiate on that until we are a third party.
    I was referring to the Withdrawal Agreement. I suspect we also have not got the faintest idea about the next stage either and we will send another bunch of uninformed unfortunates to sit in Brussels to face a well-prepared EU team.

Frankly, I am getting to the point were I am amazed that those in govt can actually manage to write their names without help.
    who do you think has been hegotiating on our behalf for the last 40 years ?

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    CD13 said:

At the next GE, the party forming a government could be elected with around 40% of the votes cast. When was the last time that the government was elected with more than 50% of the votes cast?

When, if ever. did the elected party get more than 17 million votes?

What's that? Oh, it's tumbleweed drifting across.

Parties forming a government got 10,703,754 plus 6,836,824 = 17,540,578 votes
    Or 59.1% of the votes cast.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

Sean_F said:

She is quite right but May doesn’t do leadership.

Not in the commonly accepted sense.

If the vote against is 200+, I am really not sure how she is able to kick the can any further. Aof negligence.
    *How* exactly, is the PM supposed to take No Deal off the table?

Brexit is legislated for in UK law, and is set to take place in EU law. Only two things can prevent that and one can defer it.

A deferral requires the consent of the EU27, which may not be forthcoming. The PM can ask, but cannot unilaterally implement an A50 extension.

Revoking Arey area). In any case, revoking A50 probably isn't politically possible for the PM.

And the only other way out is for the deal the PM has negotiated to be ratified by parliament, which again - very obviously - isn't within the PM's power alone.

So while it's fine to be against No Deal in principle, how do people like Rudd plan on preventing it in practice?
    They haven't thought about that.
    I think we are talking in the context of a Plan B. May would be derelict in my view not to rule out a No Deal in my opinion, at first rhetorically and then by seeking an amendment to the bill (Corbyn or Norway or ref or a combination) which might gain a majority in Parliament.

She cannot let the ERGers hold the country to ransom, and her grave responsibility is to pursue

Which is why negotaition by House of Commons is stupid. In a commercial negotaition, you have a small team undertaking that negotiation, reporting to the Board (Cabinet). Ultimately the CEO (PM) will carry the can if that fails . But what you can NEVER have is not just every member of the Board giving direction - but every shareholder (MP) too.
    Are you still peddling this crap?
    To use your analogy the CEO has gone rogue, and the saner members of the Board never wanted a negotiation in the first place.
    More like the board dont like the result of the shareholders vote and are frustrating the CEO's attempts to implement it.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

A fair chunk of them are sitting in the House of Lords right now, and queued up to piss all over May's deal last night.
  • Options

CD13 said:

At the next GE, the party forming a government could be elected with around 40% of the votes cast. When was the last time that the government was elected with more than 50% of the votes cast?

When, if ever. did the elected party get more than 17 million votes?

What's that? Oh, it's tumbleweed drifting across.

Parties forming a government got 10,703,754 plus 6,836,824 = 17,540,578 votes
    Or 59.1% of the votes cast.
    Touché
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    The time for EHV (Enormo-Haddock Voting) is upon us. Welcome your piscine overlords!
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,595

Sean_F said:

If the vote against is 200+, I am really not sure how she is able to kick the can any further. After tonight’s defeat, if she attempts to come back to the House with another deferral, she should be deposed. It would be a form of negligence.

Brexit is legislated for in UK law, and is set to take place in EU law. Only two things can prevent that and one can defer it.

A deferral requires the consent of the EU27, which may not be forthcoming. The PM can ask, but cannot unilaterally implement an A50 extension.

Revoking A50 would take No Deal off the table but it's far from clear whether the government has the power to do so unilaterally under UK law, given that the Notification Act only authorised the government to invoke A50, not to revoke it. (There is an argument that the government could revoke on executive authority, as revoking is simply retaining the status quo and not overriding existing legislation, however it would certainly override the spirit of the Notification Act and is at least a grey area). In any case, revoking A50 probably isn't politically possible for the PM.

And the only other way out is for the deal the PM has negotiated to be ratified by parliament, which again - very obviously - isn't within the PM's power alone.

So while it's fine to be against No Deal in principle, how do people like Rudd plan on preventing it in practice?
    I think we are talking in the context of a Plan B. May would be derelict in my view not to rule out a No Deal in my opinion, at first rhetorically and then by seeking an amendment to the bill (Corbyn or Norway or ref or a combination) which might gain a majority in Parliament.

She cannot let the ERGers hold the country to ransom, and her grave responsibility is to pursue

+1
  • Options
    Grieve is the antithesis of Cox in almost every way, and I know which strategy I think has been more effective.
  • Options

Does anyone else think it really odd that Mrs May appears not to have told anybody what her next moves will be?

Cabinet seem to be completely in the dark.

which is the only reason the rest of us dont know...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Lucy Powell's proposal to reach across the house is sensible actually - better than no deal or no Brexit nonsense perpetuated by plenty of others.

With the DUP and ERG's wishes clearly incompatible to an agreement with the EU it is an avenue worth persuing.

10 maybe. Labour want a general election. They don't want to reach agreement with the government.
    Tells you all you need to know about how little the professional commentariat understand about anything.
    NPXMP called it a long time ago as up to six would vote for the deal. I see no reason to think that is underestimating the number.
    For now, yes.

Question is: what do they do once all the other options have left the table and only Deal and No Deal remain?
    I don't think the EU27 will agree to an extension just to enable the UK to keep bickering (though I think they would keep open the option of agreeing the Deal even after 29/3).

An A50 extension is highly likely if parliament has already ratified, as it'll be needed to tidy up the legislative loose ends. I think the EU would accept that because there's a clear end point in sight then.
    If they refuse an A50 extension, then we revoke A50 altogether while reserving the right to re-invoke in future, our right to do so having been confirmed by the ECJ.

Corbyn and Starmer have already indicated this is the stance they'll take if/when the no confidence motion fails.
    With the greatest of respect you cannot conditionally revoke A50 by reserving the right to re-invoke

If A50 was be to invoked again, it would need to follow another referendum or a political party receiving a majority on a manifesto commitment to leave the EU

I do not know about Corbyn but Starmer, as a lawyer, knows very well you cannot play games with revoking A50

I know we all at times get a bit carried away with our ideas but on this you are either expressing your own hope or are mistaken
    Totally disagree.

There is a referendum and GE mandate for carrying out Brexit. Just because MPs can’t agree on the form and manner of our exit doesn’t mean that mandate is voided.

Following your own logic, there is no mandate for revoking in the first place.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    I have realised there are only two democratic paths at this point.

The first is to revoke, do the hard work of building a coherent and more broadly accepted form of Brexit in order to reinvoke at a later stage.

The second is public consent on the deal.

Right now May is holding a gun to everyone’s heads: her Party, Parliament and the country.
    It is undemocratic to attempt to impose a solution which Brexiters themselves do not favour, let alone the country at large.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

Chris said:

If the vote against is 200+, I am really not sure how she is able to kick the can any further. After tonight’s defeat, if she attempts to come back to the House with another deferral, she should be deposed. It would be a form of negligence.

Revoking A50 would take No Deal off the table but it's far from clear whether the government has the power to do so unilaterally under UK law, given that the Notification Act only authorised the government to invoke A50, not to revoke it. (There is an argument that the government could revoke on executive authority, as revoking is simply retaining the status quo and not overriding existing legislation, however it would certainly override the spirit of the Notification Act and is at least a grey area). In any case, revoking A50 probably isn't politically possible for the PM.

I suppose in theory the government could bring forward a one-line bill requiring Brexit to be revoked if no withdrawal agreement has been ratified by the exit date.
    Which does nothing but encourage the EU to play silly buggers to encourage revocation.
    Seems rather like saying "If I definitely rule out shooting myself in the head people are only going to take advantage of it."
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

A fair chunk of them are sitting in the House of Lords right now, and queued up to piss all over May's deal last night.
    Which would be fair enough had they done any better over that forty year period.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Scott_P said:
    Playing the expectations game nicely there...
  • Options

precisely

and the people who screwed the who;e thing up get to do it once more
  • Options

The first is to revoke, do the hard work of building a coherent and more broadly accepted form of Brexit in order to reinvoke at a later stage.

Right now May is holding a gun to everyone’s heads: her Party, Parliament and the country.
    It is undemocratic to attempt to impose a solution which Brexiters themselves do not favour, let alone the country at large.

Neither of these are democratic.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

I think it was stated earlier that we can't revoke just to decide how to leave
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Unfortunately many of them are arguing for more than this. Even Theresa May played to the gallery when she thought it would curry favour with the headbangers.

Perhaps the most noxious sentence in the lexicon right now* - used again and again by both Hard Leavers and Hard Remainers ...

It is.

People do vote to be poorer (eg overseas aid) and the only questions on the ballot were leave and remain.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

There is nothing democratic about a unilateral revocation of Article 50 by a majority of MPs who were elected on manifestos promising to deliver Brexit, following a referendum which saw the greatest direct mandate in British history.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,595
    notme2 said:

Sean_F said:

If the vote against is 200+, I am really not sure how she is able to kick the can any further. Aof negligence.

Revoking Arey area). In any case, revoking A50 probably isn't politically possible for the PM.

Are you still peddling this crap?
    To use your analogy the CEO has gone rogue, and the saner members of the Board never wanted a negotiation in the first place.
    More like the board dont like the result of the shareholders vote and are frustrating the CEO's attempts to implement it.
    More like the board and the CEO both don't like the result of the shareholders vote but the board are frustrating the CEO's attempts to implement something intended to deceive shareholders as a means to saving her own position.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

nonsense

ignoring the electorate is the modus operandi of politicians on the EU

you just dont like it because the shoes on the other foot this time
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Tory sources tell the Guardian it will be as low as 80-100, so unless they are truly awful at the expectations game, both Sammy and the estimate 200+ majorities are well out.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    RoyalBlue said:

There is nothing democratic about a unilateral revocation of Article 50 by a majority of MPs who were elected on manifestos promising to deliver Brexit, following a referendum which saw the greatest direct mandate in British history.
    *Yawn*

Using population figures is disengenous because population has increased over time. You got 52% and that’s no huge mandate what so ever.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

It would be more democratic than what we may be about to witness. May is using the clock to overpower public consent and Parliament.

So stop the clock.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933

RoyalBlue said:

*Yawn*

Using population figures is disengenous because population has increased over time. You got 52% and that’s no huge mandate what so ever.
    It's still more than Remain got.
  • Options

nonsense

This is a nonsense response.
    In fact is it proto-totalitarian.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Tory sources tell the Guardian it will be as low as 80-100, so unless they are truly awful at the expectations game, both Sammy and the estimate 200+ majorities are well out.
    Hard to see how they can limit the majority to such a low (!) figure as 80-100, unless a substantial number of Tory MPs who have said they won't support the deal abstain rather than vote against.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Except that they have said they are in favour of remaining within the CU, and almost all of their MPs are not sympathetic to hard brexit. Therefore the will of the people is far from clear. When you combine that with the MPs on the Conservative Party that are hostile to Brexit and the other parties including (I hate to have to mention them) the SNP it becomes clear that it is not clear at all. Brexit can't be Brexit, because there is no clear mandate for any one version

The 2016 referendum result does not represent the will of the people. The term is far too grandiose for a 52/48 majority answer to a poorly understood question.

What it represents is what it says on the tin. It is an instruction to parliament to take the UK out of the European Union on the best terms that can in practice by negotiated by the government with the EU27.

Arguing that it means anything more or less than this, from wherever and whoever the argument comes from, is special pleading and wholly without merit.

This was the Theresa May's "original sin". She treated a once in a generation referendum as a five-yearly general election. A general election it's fine to say sod you to the opposition and not take a scintilla of their demands into account when formulating policy (unless you can't get a majority at the GE!).

But with an epochal referendum, especially a close one, where there is (not expected to be) another vote any time soon, that is not the right approach. It was a fundamental mistake to apply an adversarial winner takes all approach to a far more complex situation.
    I agree with most of that. I would have settled with an EEA deal akin to Norway once she lost her majority if she’d focussed instead on domestic policy. That seemed to me to be the message of the 2017 GE - too many other issues needed urgent attention. Now I’ll take no deal but there is no chance it will happen. Too many people seem to be pushing Norway simply as a base to rejoin.

The trouble is Brexit means whatever people want it to mean and May hasn’t built a concensus. She only knows adversarial politics and she has made too many mistakes chasing her deal, not least abandoning the DUP. If Labour were led by anyone other than Corbyn with McDonnell as his Shadow Chancellor, May couldn’t even rely on their support in the VONC.

I wouldn’t be too sure there won’t be another referendum soon. There shouldn’t be a need for a second referendum without the first having been implemented but the failure of our political system I think makes it quite likely it will happen.

• Options
    https://twitter.com/dril/status/1085205226481537026\

America: where President Big Boy serves cold fast food to sports teams to 'stick it to the libtards'.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited January 2019
    eek said:

That's wrong. The advocate general's recommendation was that we shouldn't be able to revoke, only to re-invoke later -- but the ECJ's final ruling rejected that recommendation. The ECJ's only caveat to our right to revoke A50 was that it had to be within the UK's own constitutional requirements.
  • Options

Re public consent on the Deal:

I think she would be up for putting it to the public as a simple ratify the treaty? yes/no - but the consensus on here is that no way would this be allowed.

Leaving only the option of a Deal v Remain referendum.

Now that might just come to pass but I would not hail it as being particularly democratic. It would be more a last gasp desperate measure - a Plan Z - to end the gridlock.
  • Options

nonsense

youve gone madder than a box of frogs dusted with crystal meth

this is the first time in ages the elctorate has been asked its views, every other move to ever closer union has seen the electorate shut out

this was of course nuts as nearly every vote would have seen a curmudgeonly electorate hold its nose and vote it through
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

It is.

People do vote to be poorer (eg overseas aid) and the only questions on the ballot were leave and remain.
    I think it is false to suggest “no one ever voted to be poorer”, but in this instance Leave promised milk and honey.

IIRC polling after the vote backed this up (leave voters did *not* vote to be poorer) but leave sentiment changed as the economic realities became undeniable.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    notme2 said:

Does anyone else think it really odd that Mrs May appears not to have told anybody what her next moves will be?

Cabinet seem to be completely in the dark.

which is the only reason the rest of us dont know...
    Quite.

You can't negotiate if you reveal up front what you would do if you fail to reach an agreement.

Sometimes cards do have to be kept very close to your chest - for legitimate and understandable reasons.

It is a shame that so many MPs (and commentators) seem to have lost the ability to reason over this.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

For now, yes.

I think the EU would accept that because there's a clear end point in sight then.

Totally disagree.

There is a referendum and GE mandate for carrying out Brexit. Just because MPs can’t agree on the form and manner of our exit doesn’t mean that mandate is voided.

Following your own logic, there is no mandate for revoking in the first place.
    I think you may misunderstand me. Your first paragraph is the reason A50 was invoked by 498 mps giving the go ahead

If we decide to revoke now it has to be done constitutionally and cannot be a ruse for buying time to restart the process. If Parliament revokes A50 it would need authority to re-invoke it
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Hard to see how they can limit the majority to such a low (!) figure as 80-100, unless a substantial number of Tory MPs who have said they won't support the deal abstain rather than vote against.
    I think a 90 majority would be the worst of all worlds, giving Mrs May a short term boost, but still no obvious path to a majority
  • Options

Lest we forget

Hannan’s Interest has only ever been trade. Nothing wrong with that but negotiating trade deals with others if you’re bound by the SM regs would be a challenge.

The decision to leave the Single Market was taken early on in the campaign, by Gove I think, precisely to facilitate trade deals with other countries.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited January 2019

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    I've made this point before. Can't support = won't vote for. But not against. a) it's not in Tory MPs DNA to vote against their PM and b) a significant number want to express dismay at the deal whilst NOT being tied to supporting the headbangers. Expect a lot of unexpected abstentions.

• Options

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

It is.

I think it is false to suggest “no one ever voted to be poorer”, but in this instance Leave promised milk and honey.

IIRC polling after the vote backed this up (leave voters did *not* vote to be poorer) but leave sentiment changed as the economic realities became undeniable.
    It was (and is) very common among Leave voters to expect little change in their circumstances.
  • Options
    I like the way people are talking like an 80 vote defeat is a victory. What comes next? Redefining black as white? Wet as dry?

A defeat of 80 is still a defeat. And a big one.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I like the way people are talking like an 80 vote defeat is a victory. What comes next? Redefining black as white? Wet as dry?

But not as big as 200 ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

In a commercial negotiation, the negotiators are given a clear set of objectives and constraints. Our negotiators have no clue what the end position is because our government has no clue.

The last two years have been a total waste of everyone's time. Whatever we settle on will be caused by force of circumstance rather than achieving what we wanted.
    The end position is immaterial, the EU are refusing to negotiate on that until we are a third party.
    I was referring to the Withdrawal Agreement. I suspect we also have not got the faintest idea about the next stage either and we will send another bunch of uninformed unfortunates to sit in Brussels to face a well-prepared EU team.

Frankly, I am getting to the point were I am amazed that those in govt can actually manage to write their names without help.

Not David Davis, Liam Fox or Boris "Phew! Err.. Golly" Johnson.
  • Options

Lest we forget

Hannan’s Interest has only ever been trade. Nothing wrong with that but negotiating trade deals with others if you’re bound by the SM regs would be a challenge.

The decision to leave the Single Market was taken early on in the campaign, by Gove I think, precisely to facilitate trade deals with other countries.
    The decision to leave the Single Market was taken by the Prime Minister when she took office.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

The professional commentariat have been STUNNED to find this large group of Labour MPs they promised would be willing to commit career suicide to rush to the defence of a doomed Tory prime has utterly failed to materialise.

For now, yes.

I'm sure you think highly of Ken Clarke. Could you explain why he thinks that the ECJ ruling does mean we can revoke and then re-invoke when we wish?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    80-100 would be a good result for May given some current estimates. Both she and the EU would probably see that as green light for Plan B to simply representing her deal - until MPs get the answer “right”.
  • Options

nonsense

this is the first time in ages the elctorate has been asked its views, every other move to ever closer union has seen the electorate shut out

this was of course nuts as nearly every vote would have seen a curmudgeonly electorate hold its nose and vote it through
    I have consistently argued that there ought to have been referendums for Maastricht and Lisbon.

And, I was in favour of this referendum.

However May is attempting to impose a solution *nobody* wants, and arguing that “your side does it” smacks of life under a Latin American junta.
  • Options

once again the inadequacies of the FTPA come to the fore
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    While the UK has taken steps to ensure that UK customers of EU insurers will hold valid contracts no matter what, a reciprocal step is yet to be taken by the EU as a whole. The latest BoE estimate shows that 9m policyholders in the EEA remain at risk.

What a shame.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Abstentions work just as well for the 'aye' sellers..
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

RoyalBlue said:

*Yawn*

We got 8% more votes than you guys. It’s not that narrow.
  • Options

A damn shame the Tories didn't get a majority at the last election - it would have been ditched (although quite how you close pandora's box wrt the prerogative is beyond me).
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

eek said:

That's wrong. The advocate general's recommendation was that we shouldn't be able to revoke, only to re-invoke later -- but the ECJ's final ruling rejected that recommendation. The ECJ's only caveat to our right to revoke A50 was that it had to be within the UK's own constitutional requirements.
    Our 'Constitutional Requirements' are whatever the last person got away with.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Lest we forget

The decision to leave the Single Market was taken by the Prime Minister when she took office.
    It was a Vote Leave commitment in the campaign. May didn’t have to honour that. She saw it as the only way to stop freedom of movement, which it is, but then she only ever saw the referendum result in terms of stopping freedom of movement.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is there ANY section of life in which Brexit does not cause a balls-up? Seriously??

And hordes of people still think that this shambles of an idea is a good one?

Unbelievable!!
  • Options

The first is to revoke, do the h.

nonsense

I have consistently argued that there ought to have been referendums for Maastricht and Lisbon.

And, I was in favour of this referendum.

However May is attempting to impose a solution *nobody* wants, and arguing that “your side does it” smacks of life under a Latin American junta.
    Major imposed a solution which was unpopular, so did Brown. The chronic problem for the EU is it cant build legitimacy on the back of a diktat. Those protesting about May's arm twisting are largely the same people who satyed silent when others twisted the arms.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    notme2 said:

Danny565 said:

eek said:

Well, quite - so in effect our right to revoke A50 is absolute, even if we were to re-invoke it just 5 minutes later.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Is there ANY section of life in which Brexit does not cause a balls-up? Seriously??

Unbelievable!!
    This doesn't sound like a balls-up. Just that a bit more time is needed.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019

Scott_P said:

Unbelievable!!
    It's millions of people in the EU27/EEA countries who might not be able to claim - and that is because the EU has screwed up.

In practice I can't see it being a problem, the EU will just extend a blanket extension to the authorisations, so it's probably a non-story.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    I've made this point before. Can't support = won't vote for. But not against. a) it's not in Tory MPs DNA to vote against their PM and b) a significant number want to express dismay at the deal whilst NOT being tied to supporting the headbangers. Expect a lot of unexpected abstentions.

Could be a lot of busy tellers with a lot of MPs walking into both lobbies.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

notme2 said:

Danny565 said:

eek said:

Well, quite - so in effect our right to revoke A50 is absolute, even if we were to re-invoke it just 5 minutes later.
    No, it's not. It needs to be "unequivocal and unconditional". I wouldn't call revoking for five minutes unequivocal.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

10 maybe. Labour want a general election. They don't want to reach agreement with the

For now, yes.

I'm sure you think highly of Ken Clarke. Could you explain why he thinks that the ECJ ruling does mean we can revoke and then re-invoke when we wish?
    You are possessed with this. I respect Ken Clarke but did not hear his comments

The simple fact is A50 can only be revoked through the UK consitutional process

It cannot be used as a ruse and to re-invoke has to be in a manner that would pass an ECJ ruling
  • Options
    Guido reports

John Bercow has slapped down May’s hopes of winning over sceptical backbenchers with Andrew Murrison’s amendment, by not sdelecting it to be voted on. The four he has selected instead are:

Jeremy Corbyn Rejects the deal because it does not meet Labour’s criteria, including a customs union and strong single market relationship. Says government should “pursue every option” for avoiding no-deal or leaving on the terms of May’s deal.
    Sir Edward Leigh States that a permanent backstop would constitute a change in circumstances compared to those in the Withdrawal Agreement and that this would give the UK the right to withdraw from it. Asks the government to confirm it would do so if this was the case.
    John Baron Also says the deal should only be approved if the UK has the right to exit the backstop without the agreement of the EU.
    Ian Blackford Rejects the deal, citing opposition from the devolved assemblies, and calls for an extension of Article 50.

These amendments will be voted on from 7pm. If, as expected, none of them pass, then the we can expect the meaningful vote to take place at 8pm, with the result at around 8:15
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Scott_P said:

Unbelievable!!
    I was delighted to find my post code is the burglary capital of the UK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-6577623/Britains-burglary-hotspots-revealed-B95-postcode-topping-charts.html

Mrs B decidedly unhappy
  • Options
    Frank Field says he will support the deal. Surprised at that.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

notme2 said:

Danny565 said:

eek said:

Nonsense
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Guido reports

John Bercow has slapped down May’s hopes of winning over sceptical backbenchers with Andrew Murrison’s amendment, by not sdelecting it to be voted on. The four he has selected instead are:

Jeremy Corbyn Rejects the deal because it does not meet Labour’s criteria, including a customs union and strong single market relationship. Says government should “pursue every option” for avoiding no-deal or leaving on the terms of May’s deal.
    Sir Edward Leigh States that a permanent backstop would constitute a change in circumstances compared to those in the Withdrawal Agreement and that this would give the UK the right to withdraw from it. Asks the government to confirm it would do so if this was the case.
    John Baron Also says the deal should only be approved if the UK has the right to exit the backstop without the agreement of the EU.
    Ian Blackford Rejects the deal, citing opposition from the devolved assemblies, and calls for an extension of Article 50.

These amendments will be voted on from 7pm. If, as expected, none of them pass, then the we can expect the meaningful vote to take place at 8pm, with the result at around 8:15

WTF is Bercow doing?
  • Options
    "It also means that the only Westminster representation comes from a party that got just 36% of the vote there in June 2017."

To be pedantic, there is also Sylvia Hermon representing a further 3.3% of voters (and I think she favour's May's deal).
  • Options

It cannot be used as a ruse and to re-invoke has to be in a manner that would pass an ECJ ruling

Please feel free to point me to where in the ECJ's ruling (as opposed to the advocate general's opinion) it says that we cannot re-invoke it in future.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Frank Field says he will support the deal. Surprised at that.

He was in my "expected" category to vote for the deal. I haven't yet seen what Kelvin Hopkins is planning.

John Woodcock is against, which surprised me a bit.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Please feel free to point me to where in the ECJ's ruling (as opposed to the advocate general's opinion) it says that we cannot re-invoke it in future.
    I have said all I am going to on this.
  • Options

In terms of the betting, what happens if MPs vote in both lobbies?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

notme2 said:

Danny565 said:

eek said:

No, it's not. It needs to be "unequivocal and unconditional". I wouldn't call revoking for five minutes unequivocal.
    Eh? It would be unequivocal and unconditional. No-one's suggesting we'd say "we revoke Article 50, only on condition that our contributions to the EU Budget are reduced". We'd be accepting we'd be staying in the EU unconditionally for now; what we would choose to do in future is a different matter.
  • Options
    What is the point - they should have done it before
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

notme2 said:

Danny565 said:

eek said:

Eh? It would be unequivocal and unconditional. No-one's suggesting we'd say "we revoke Article 50, only on condition that our contributions to the EU Budget are reduced".
    You really think after revoking and invoking after five minutes that the EU Commission wouldn't challenge that at the ECJ?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

FWIW, I think it would not be impossible to invoke A50 in the future. But, if we attempted to reinvoke it shortly after withdrawing it, we would not be seen as acting in good faith.
  • Options

Guido reports

WTF is Bercow doing?
    Enacting revenge for his humiliation the other week.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Very interesting article. Can be applied to lots of other areas, including evolution and (maybe) Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/14/gm-foods-scientific-ignorance-fuels-extremist-views-study

The results from more than 2,500 respondents revealed the curious trend. “What we found is that as the extremity of opposition increased, objective knowledge went down, but self-assessed knowledge went up,” Fernbach said.

“The extremists are more poorly calibrated. If you don’t know much, it’s hard to assess how much you know,” Fernbach added. “The feeling of understanding that they have then stops them from learning the truth. Extremism can be perverse in that way.”
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

In terms of the betting, what happens if MPs vote in both lobbies?

Presumably they'd be counted in the Ayes.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    RobD said:

A damn shame the Tories didn't get a majority at the last election - it would have been ditched (although quite how you close pandora's box wrt the prerogative is beyond me).
    You can’t restore an extinguished prerogative but I would have thought some form of words along the lines of “Her Majesty, acting on the advice of the Prime Minister, may make an
    order-in-council to dissolve Parliament” would do the trick.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

What is the point - they should have done it before
    Quite. The lack of honour and integrity being shown by MPs of all persuasions is probably to be expected with the current crop. But it is dispiriting nonetheless.

A plague on most of their houses (there are a few exceptions...)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

FWIW, I think it would not be impossible to invoke A50 in the future. But, if we attempted to reinvoke it shortly after withdrawing it, we would not be seen as acting in good faith.
    precendence is dead :-)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    notme2 said:

Guido reports

WTF is Bercow doing?
    Enacting revenge for his humiliation the other week.
    You mean by Anna Soubry? or Ms Leadsom? or both?
  • Options
    edited January 2019

80-100 would be a good result for May given some current estimates. Both she and the EU would probably see that as green light for Plan B to simply representing her deal - until MPs get the answer “right”.

It would be a triumph. Which shows what a one-off situation this is.

50/1 on Betfair for the implied 'ayes' in such a result - although that calculation assumes no abstentions.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Notme, possibly. More likely, I think, gratitude to Labour for saving him some months ago, and a genuine pro-EU belief coupled with an utter willingness to meddle in the game rather than be an objective umpire.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

notme2 said:

Danny565 said:

eek said:

Eh? It would be unequivocal and unconditional. No-one's suggesting we'd say "we revoke Article 50, only on condition that our contributions to the EU Budget are reduced".
    You really think after revoking and invoking after five minutes that the EU Commission wouldn't challenge that at the ECJ?
    On what grounds would the EU Commission challenge it? They'd have to prove it was against the UK's "constitutional requirements", since that was the only caveat to our right to revoke.

I'm sure they wouldn't be happy that it was happening, but they already lost the argument on whether the UK should have the power to do it in the original court case.
  • Options

notme2 said:

Lest we forget

It was a Vote Leave commitment in the campaign. May didn’t have to honour that. She saw it as the only way to stop freedom of movement, which it is, but then she only ever saw the referendum result in terms of stopping freedom of movement.
    WTF is a "vote leave commitment"?
This discussion has been closed.