Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On this day lets not forget the 1998 Good Friday Agreement tha

Comments

• Options
    RobD said:

eek said:

Old news but in case it wasn't posted. Plan B is just try again https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1085170937358700544

As predicted. But Parliament should not let her get away with it. It is a negligent running down of the clock.

If I were a Tory Remainer I would seriously consider supporting a VONC if she responds with “Nothing has Changed”.
    I wonder how quick they’d be booted out of the party.
    Instantaneously.

The Conservatives should be expelling the rebel remainers from the party in order to appoint new Conservative candidates in their constituencies in readiness for a general election to get more Leave MPs in place.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Frank Field says he will support the deal. Surprised at that.

He was in my "expected" category to vote for the deal. I haven't yet seen what Kelvin Hopkins is planning.

John Woodcock is against, which surprised me a bit.
    Has John Mann announced his intentions yet ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,958
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

notme2 said:

Danny565 said:

eek said:

I have realised there are only two democratic paths at this point.

The first is to revoke, do the hard work of building a coherent and more broadly accepted form of Brexit in order to reinvoke at a later stage.

The second is public consent on the deal.

Right now May is holding a gun to everyone’s heads: her Party, Parliament and the country.
    It is undemocratic to attempt to impose a solution which Brexiters themselves do not favour, let alone the country at large.

I think it was stated earlier that we can't revoke just to decide how to leave
    That's wrong. The advocate general's recommendation was that we shouldn't be able to revoke, only to re-invoke later -- but the ECJ's final ruling rejected that recommendation. The ECJ's only caveat to our right to revoke A50 was that it had to be within the UK's own constitutional requirements.
    Our 'Constitutional Requirements' are whatever the last person got away with.
    Well, quite - so in effect our right to revoke A50 is absolute, even if we were to re-invoke it just 5 minutes later.
    No, it's not. It needs to be "unequivocal and unconditional". I wouldn't call revoking for five minutes unequivocal.
    Eh? It would be unequivocal and unconditional. No-one's suggesting we'd say "we revoke Article 50, only on condition that our contributions to the EU Budget are reduced".
    You really think after revoking and invoking after five minutes that the EU Commission wouldn't challenge that at the ECJ?
    On what grounds would the EU Commission challenge it? They'd have to prove it was against the UK's "constitutional requirements", since that was the only caveat to our right to revoke.
    Except those other two conditions quoted earlier. If we were never serious about it it isn't an unequivocal revocation.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

He was in my "expected" category to vote for the deal. I haven't yet seen what Kelvin Hopkins is planning.

He's for, I believe.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-mp-john-mann-set-to-break-ranks-and-back-pms-brexit-deal-11606502
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

Lest we forget

Hannan’s Interest has only ever been trade. Nothing wrong with that but negotiating trade deals with others if you’re bound by the SM regs would be a challenge.

The decision to leave the Single Market was taken early on in the campaign, by Gove I think, precisely to facilitate trade deals with other countries.
    The decision to leave the Single Market was taken by the Prime Minister when she took office.
    It was a Vote Leave commitment in the campaign. May didn’t have to honour that. She saw it as the only way to stop freedom of movement, which it is, but then she only ever saw the referendum result in terms of stopping freedom of movement.
    WTF is a "vote leave commitment"?
    "There is a European free trade zone from Iceland to the Russian border and we will be part of it."

What could this possibly be describing if not the EEA?
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

Lest we forget

Hannan’s Interest has only ever been trade. Nothing wrong with that but negotiating trade deals with others if you’re bound by the SM regs would be a challenge.

The decision to leave the Single Market was taken early on in the campaign, by Gove I think, precisely to facilitate trade deals with other countries.
    The decision to leave the Single Market was taken by the Prime Minister when she took office.
    It was a Vote Leave commitment in the campaign. May didn’t have to honour that. She saw it as the only way to stop freedom of movement, which it is, but then she only ever saw the referendum result in terms of stopping freedom of movement.
    The referendum campaign obviously passed you by.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

He's for, I believe.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-mp-john-mann-set-to-break-ranks-and-back-pms-brexit-deal-11606502
    I emailed him to vote for it. But now this is costing us a few pennies... sorry about that ^^;
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    I wonder if the Mays have packed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He said on Sky on sunday he will be voting for the deal and does not expect to be the only one from labour
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Who?

Never heard of most of these jokers!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

Scott_P said:
    Is there ANY section of life in which Brexit does not cause a balls-up? Seriously??

And hordes of people still think that this shambles of an idea is a good one?

Unbelievable!!
    It's millions of people in the EU27/EEA countries who might not be able to claim - and that is because the EU has screwed up.

In practice I can't see it being a problem, the EU will just extend a blanket extension to the authorisations, so it's probably a non-story.
    It's not a non-story. It's one of several (we will not run out of medicines, there will be enough food after March 29th) the need for which, if only to dismiss the premise, is mind-boggling.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited January 2019
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

notme2 said:

Danny565 said:

eek said:

The first is to revoke, do the hard work of building a coherent and more broadly accepted form of Brexit in order to reinvoke at a later stage.

Right now May is holding a gun to everyone’s heads: her Party, Parliament and the country.
    It is undemocratic to attempt to impose a solution which Brexiters themselves do not favour, let alone the country at large.

That's wrong. The advocate general's recommendation was that we shouldn't be able to revoke, only to re-invoke later -- but the ECJ's final ruling rejected that recommendation. The ECJ's only caveat to our right to revoke A50 was that it had to be within the UK's own constitutional requirements.
    Well, quite - so in effect our right to revoke A50 is absolute, even if we were to re-invoke it just 5 minutes later.
    No, it's not. It needs to be "unequivocal and unconditional". I wouldn't call revoking for five minutes unequivocal.
    Eh? It would be unequivocal and unconditional. No-one's suggesting we'd say "we revoke Article 50, only on condition that our contributions to the EU Budget are reduced".
    You really think after revoking and invoking after five minutes that the EU Commission wouldn't challenge that at the ECJ?
    On what grounds would the EU Commission challenge it? They'd have to prove it was against the UK's "constitutional requirements", since that was the only caveat to our right to revoke.
    Except those other two conditions quoted earlier. If we were never serious about it it isn't an unequivocal revocation.
    Yes it is. Again you seem to be basing your arguments on what the advocate general said, as opposed to what the ECJ said -- revoking Article 50 only "unequivocally and unconditionally" brings that particular withdrawal process to an end, it doesn't require a pledge of lifelong loyalty to the EU.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    Watching the convoluted speeches from utterly committed remainers claiming that somehow their objection based on some technicality. If that technicality wasnt there, they would find another.

Those dumb witted leavers who have been told that it is Brexit In Name Only, and believe it. One MP just said that we should respect the decision, but that the WA had us half in and half out. Seriously, this is a pretty darn hard and clean brexit. We arent half in and half out. On that basis there's absolutely no Brexit agreement he could sign up to that didnt involve us building a wall at Dover.

Utter cretins. And those leavers who are going to vote against it because they think they might get an even harder brexist? You clueless muppets you are going to lose everything you have fought for decades.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2019
    Anorak said:

Very interesting article. Can be applied to lots of other areas, including evolution and (maybe) Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/14/gm-foods-scientific-ignorance-fuels-extremist-views-study

The results from more than 2,500 respondents revealed the curious trend. “What we found is that as the extremity of opposition increased, objective knowledge went down, but self-assessed knowledge went up,” Fernbach said.

“The extremists are more poorly calibrated. If you don’t know much, it’s hard to assess how much you know,” Fernbach added. “The feeling of understanding that they have then stops them from learning the truth. Extremism can be perverse in that way.”

Not curious, because isn’t that basically just the Dunning–Kruger effect in action.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

RobD said:

I like the way people are talking like an 80 vote defeat is a victory. What comes next? Redefining black as white? Wet as dry?

A defeat of 80 is still a defeat. And a big one.

once again the inadequacies of the FTPA come to the fore
    A damn shame the Tories didn't get a majority at the last election - it would have been ditched (although quite how you close pandora's box wrt the prerogative is beyond me).
    You can’t restore an extinguished prerogative but I would have thought some form of words along the lines of “Her Majesty, acting on the advice of the Prime Minister, may make an
    order-in-council to dissolve Parliament” would do the trick.
    I remember reading a private members bill put up in the Lords that simply stated that the FTPA was repealed. They forgot that the FTPA also repealed the Septennial Act, and therefore it would have meant parliament did not have a finite duration, rendering elections purely optional.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

notme2 said:

Danny565 said:

eek said:

Yes it is. Again you seem to be basing your arguments on what the advocate general said, as opposed to what the ECJ said -- revoking Article 50 only "unequivocally and unconditionally" brings that particular withdrawal process to an end, it doesn't require a pledge of lifelong loyalty to the EU.
    No, I'm basing it on the use of those two terms in the actual judgement. It's not an unequivocal declaration if you know you are going to renege on it in a few minutes.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    rpjs said:

RobD said:

I like the way people are talking like an 80 vote defeat is a victory. What comes next? Redefining black as white? Wet as dry?

A damn shame the Tories didn't get a majority at the last election - it would have been ditched (although quite how you close pandora's box wrt the prerogative is beyond me).
    You can’t restore an extinguished prerogative but I would have thought some form of words along the lines of “Her Majesty, acting on the advice of the Prime Minister, may make an
    The FTPA is a good idea badly implemented. It's wrong for the PM to be able to decide when an election takes place.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
  • Options
    Tbh though Field, Mann, Flint are the lowest of low hanging labour fruit for May to pick up on this.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Is there ANY section of life in which Brexit does not cause a balls-up? Seriously??

Unbelievable!!
    It's millions of people in the EU27/EEA countries who might not be able to claim - and that is because the EU has screwed up.

In practice I can't see it being a problem, the EU will just extend a blanket extension to the authorisations, so it's probably a non-story.
    It's not a non-story. It's one of several (we will not run out of medicines, there will be enough food after March 29th) the need for which, if only to dismiss the premise, is mind-boggling.
    Yes but people seize on these headlines, don't read the article, and react as though what was being said was that millions of UK residents were going to be left uninsured. In this case (as the article makes clear) it's the other way round: the UK has sensibly sorted this out already, but the EU hasn't.
  • Options

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

Lest we forget

The campaign for a referendum is not a manifesto for government. Not even remotely close.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2019

Anorak said:

Very interesting article. Can be applied to lots of other areas, including evolution and (maybe) Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/14/gm-foods-scientific-ignorance-fuels-extremist-views-study

The results from more than 2,500 respondents revealed the curious trend. “What we found is that as the extremity of opposition increased, objective knowledge went down, but self-assessed knowledge went up,” Fernbach said.

“The extremists are more poorly calibrated. If you don’t know much, it’s hard to assess how much you know,” Fernbach added. “The feeling of understanding that they have then stops them from learning the truth. Extremism can be perverse in that way.”

Not curious, because isn’t that basically just the Dunning–Kruger effect in action.
    Yes, which is mentioned in the piece. I'm just glad someone is willing to call it out: "you're against this because you're a dumbass".
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

Lest we forget

Iceland is a member of the Single Market and has, for example, an FTA with China. (As does Switzerland, although it is only a member of the SM for goods.)

The biggest issue, really, is the US, where the recent renegotiation of NAFTA specifically forbids either Mexico or Canada from having FTAs with China. Nations must choose: do I wish a close trading relationship with the US, or with China?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

rpjs said:

RobD said:

The FTPA is a good idea badly implemented. It's wrong for the PM to be able to decide when an election takes place.
    its also wrong to keep a lame duck government in place and to absolve MPs from the consequencesof their actions.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    In the fiercely contested category of dumbest Brexiteer with a pulse, a very strong contender...

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1085215003932848134
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    RobD said:

No, I'm basing it on the use of those two terms in the actual judgement. It's not an unequivocal declaration if you know you are going to renege on it in a few minutes.

I really don't know why you're interpreting "unequivocal" as "permanent".

But I can unequivocally say that I'm bored of this argument now, so whatever :p
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Anorak said:

I saw that paraphrased earlier

Those who know the least, know it the loudest
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Unbelievable!!

Yes but people seize on these headlines, don't read the article, and react as though what was being said was that millions of UK residents were going to be left uninsured. In this case (as the article makes clear) it's the other way round: the UK has sensibly sorted this out already, but the EU hasn't.
    But we are in the zone where the people need to read the article to be reassured that we won't be uninsured, or run out of Chocolate Bourbon biscuits, come March 30th. There would be no headline saying "People over 5ft tall to be denied passports."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Lest we forget

Iceland is a member of the Single Market and has, for example, an FTA with China. (As does Switzerland, although it is only a member of the SM for goods.)

The biggest issue, really, is the US, where the recent renegotiation of NAFTA specifically forbids either Mexico or Canada from having FTAs with China. Nations must choose: do I wish a close trading relationship with the US, or with China?
    We currently dont have one with the USA, do we?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Scott_P said:

Anorak said:

Explains Cox, Johnson, Farage...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

But we are in the zone where the people need to read the article to be reassured that we won't be uninsured, or run out of Chocolate Bourbon biscuits, come March 30th. There would be no headline saying "People over 5ft tall to be denied passports."

Blame the headline writers for that.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

notme2 said:

Danny565 said:

eek said:

It's not reneging. The CJEU ruling dropped the 'good faith' clause from the advocate general's opinion. It is legally possible to revoke and invoke on the same afternoon. How the politics of that would play out is a different matter.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

In the fiercely contested category of dumbest Brexiteer with a pulse, a very strong contender...

Thought the same thing. Embarrassed to be on the same side.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Lets chalk him up as a 'Nay'.
  • Options

It's not reneging. The CJEU ruling dropped the 'good faith' clause from the advocate general's opinion. It is legally possible to revoke and invoke on the same afternoon. How the politics of that would play out is a different matter.

I still contest it wouldn't be unequivocal, and would at least be tested at the ECJ.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    edited January 2019
    Sean_F said:

People do vote to be poorer (eg overseas aid) and the only questions on the ballot were leave and remain.

Although I can imagine that Overseas Aid would come a cropper in a referendum. Probably by 52/48. But yes, absolutely, it was Leave or Remain, c'est ca. And if Leave won and we leave - and because of that people are poorer - then QED people voted to be poorer. The phrase is actually just code for 'people did not understand the consequences of their vote.'
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Will he not be disqualified if he votes 3 times?
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Scott_P said:

And me, conservative mps are making me despair and ashamed of many of them
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

Lest we forget

The campaign for a referendum is not a manifesto for government. Not even remotely close.
    Sure - but arguing that leaving the SM was a decision made by May that came out of the blue is just plain wrong. It was fully discussed as part of the referendum. As I said earlier, May didn’t have to honour that but she chose to.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    notme2 said:

Watching the convoluted speeches from utterly committed remainers claiming that somehow their objection based on some technicality. If that technicality wasnt there, they would find another.

Those dumb witted leavers who have been told that it is Brexit In Name Only, and believe it. One MP just said that we should respect the decision, but that the WA had us half in and half out. Seriously, this is a pretty darn hard and clean brexit. We arent half in and half out. On that basis there's absolutely no Brexit agreement he could sign up to that didnt involve us building a wall at Dover.

Utter cretins. And those leavers who are going to vote against it because they think they might get an even harder brexist? You clueless muppets you are going to lose everything you have fought for decades.

The level of ignorance about the difference between the Withdrawal Agreement and a long term arrangement is - frankly - appalling.

Frankly, you get a great deal better expertise on this board. (With the exception of a few posters whose names I shall not mention.)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Scott_P said:

Anorak said:

Explains Cox, Johnson, Farage...
    I'd venture that Cox knows rather more about Brexit than you.....
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    rpjs said:

RobD said:

It's certainly possible to write legislation to enable either the PM or the sovereign to dissolve parliament but the wording as proposed is a nasty mismash. Either the power should lie with the PM - in which case he or she should be able to exercise it unfettered (this is a bad idea) - or it should rest with the crown as a reserve power, in which case HM should *not* be obliged by legislation to act on the PM's advice.

Before the FTPA, PMs could only request a dissolution, not advise one. That's a crucial distinction as it provides a slight constitutional check in normal times (Wilson didn't request an immediate election after forming a government in March 1974 because he didn't know whether the Palace would allow it), but it also acts as a constitutional safety valve if, say, a government was proposing something deeply undemocratic (e.g. extending parliaments to 20 years).
  • Options
    Meanwhile, it's worth noting that for Marks & Spencer, Leave means leave:

https://twitter.com/johannketel/status/1085176207052890113
  • Options

notme2 said:

Scott_P said:

I thought that stopping speaking as soon as he had set out his full knowledge, understanding and insight of the subject was an example to be followed, frankly. I greatly wish that other members would do the same.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Blame the headline writers for that.
    I think you are wilfully missing my point but I can live with it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    I've been unable to find any certain information about Kelvin Hopkins.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

notme2 said:

The level of ignorance about the difference between the Withdrawal Agreement and a long term arrangement is - frankly - appalling.

Frankly, you get a great deal better expertise on this board. (With the exception of a few posters whose names I shall not mention.)
    It really is pitiful and yet it seems to be a significant element in ERG opposition to the deal.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Bridgen sweeps all before him. It's a battle for second place, and always has been.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

notme2 said:

I think some (both Remain and Leave) are well aware of the difference, but pretend to mix up the two.

Others, like Guto Bebb, are just thick.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Change of timing for tomorrow

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1085218412597600258

You have to love Parliament...
  • Options

Pleasantly surprised that their store in Dundee is not on that list to be honest.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    rcs1000 said:

notme2 said:

Roger, for example, as one of those few posters?

:wink:
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I've been unable to find any certain information about Kelvin Hopkins.
    That suggests to me that he is minded to vote for the deal. He's on the naughty step still and this will hardly improve his image with much of institutional Labour (the top might be more indulgent). So if he is going to vote for it, he'll probably not want to boast about it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited January 2019

The Hull one is very much we don't want to be the only shop left in this desolate shopping centre... Even though it was obviously going to happen it has still gone down like a lead balloon...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    That bit about "If there is any hope, it lies with the Labour party" sounds strangely familiar...
  • Options
    eek said:

Quite right too. It would be a democratic outrage if due consideration of the proposal to ban low-level letterboxes was jeopardised.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

More I think a maverick with a colourful past including infiltration of other parties
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Lewis
    and opposed to war in Syria, i.e. capable of independent thought.
  • Options
    eek said:

Fun and amendments..

I propose that this house bans low level letter boxes and revokes Article 50
  • Options
    eek said:

I used to hate low level letterboxes when delivering newspapers. They were never big enough, chewed up the paper and all too often had a really annoying yappy dog on the other side of it trying to get your fingers. Sign me up for that one.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

notme2 said:

I think some (both Remain and Leave) are well aware of the difference, but pretend to mix up the two.

He is indeed and he is my mp but for how long is a good question.

I have already asked for his de-selection
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Fun and amendments..

I move a motion "... That this House has no confidence in low letter boxes".
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

Before the FTPA, PMs could only request a dissolution, not advise one. That's a crucial distinction as it provides a slight constitutional check in normal times (Wilson didn't request an immediate election after forming a government in March 1974 because he didn't know whether the Palace would allow it), but it also acts as a constitutional safety valve if, say, a government was proposing something deeply undemocratic (e.g. extending parliaments to 20 years).

I think the biggest issue that the FTPA has brought to light is that by prescribing the form that a confidence motion must take, it has denuded what were previously confidence issues from acting as such, and we end up with a curious situation like the current one where the government has de jure but not de facto confidence, and it's a mess.

At the very least we should restore things that were previously considered confidence matters (queen's speeches, finance bills) as well as allowing the Prime Minister to ask the Speaker to rule other votes confidence votes too, so it could include things like the Meaningful Vote.

I'm not sure there's a desire to return the process behind the choice to dissolve Parliament to an anonymous letter written in the Times. But if the FTPA made *explicit* the process by which the Crown would and would not grant a dissolution at the request of the Prime Minister, that might assuage people.
  • Options

eek said:

Quite right too. It would be a democratic outrage if due consideration of the proposal to ban low-level letterboxes was jeopardised.
    What is the rationale for banning low-level letterboxes? Has Graham Brady's postman been given a bad back?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Unbelievable!!

That's not what the article says. Some UK insurers have started the process (not all of them, although this is not mentioned in the article), but because not all the Part VIIs can complete before April, there will be rEU policyholders left holding policies with UK insurance entities on which they can no longer claim.

On the flip side, very few EU insurers (again, I know of some exceptions) have started the process of partitioning their business into UK and EU entities, which means that any UK citizens with insurance policies incepting before Brexit day will no longer be able to make claims for events occurring afterwards.

So although the article doesn't explicitly say this, a reasonable inference is that there are a lot of UK citizens who may be left uninsured (in practice they won't be, as it's trivial for the insurers to simply decide to honour claims anyway, but there are some interesting questions on corporate governance as to whether they should).
  • Options

I'll ask what Kelvin is doing. I have an in....
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

notme2 said:

Matthew Parris, OTOH, is very intelligent, so we can assume that when we mixes up the WA and long term agreement, he is just intending to deceive his readers.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Fun and amendments..

A vote of low confidence.
  • Options

eek said:

What is the rationale for banning low-level letterboxes? Has Graham Brady's postman been given a bad back?
    Not a political activist, I see!

:smile:
  • Options

eek said:

MPs are campaigners, they all know how much of a ball-ache low level letter boxes are. Only a d e g e n e r a t e would have one.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,493
    DavidL said:

eek said:

I used to hate low level letterboxes when delivering newspapers. They were never big enough, chewed up the paper and all too often had a really annoying yappy dog on the other side of it trying to get your fingers. Sign me up for that one.
    Anyone who has ever done party leafletting would sign up for that in a flash!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Sky sticking to their 225 vote margin: 199 plays 424
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Use a wooden spoon to poke them through. Bit of luck, you'll choke the litte yappy sod too.....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019

eek said:

It seems to be a campaign by the Communication Workers Union, and would apply only to new builds or changes requiring building regs:

The CWU has been striving for the European Standard (EN13724) to be added to U.K building regulations- this requires letterboxes being at a height accessible to postal workers, significantly reducing possible injuries such as, dog bites, fingers being trapped or back strain caused when bending excessively to reach ground level boxes.

This issue was first raised as far back as 1958 when the British Standards Agency deemed it appropriate that letter boxes be at a proper height. Unfortunately it was not enshrined into building standards Law. Half a century later and several high profile campaigns later the problem still exists. The Union would stress that it does not expect householders or businesses to change their doors immediately

https://cwue5.org/2016/10/03/low-level-letter-boxes-the-cwu-low-level-letter-box-campaign/

Actually seems quite sensible.
  • Options

Surely May has to go if she doesn't even make the 200 mark. Shorely !
  • Options

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Fun and amendments..

A vote of low confidence.
    Arf. Excellent!
  • Options

Well, Theresa May said the nation needed to heal our divisions. Guess we start with low-level letterboxes.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

notme2 said:

Matthew Parris, OTOH, is very intelligent, so we can assume that when we mixes up the WA and long term agreement, he is just intending to deceive his readers.
    Advocates of the deal are the most guilty of conflating the two. You can't simultaneously argue on the basis of the virtues of the future relationship (e.g. "free movement will end") while admitting that the future relationship is undefined.
  • Options

eek said:

It seems to be a campaign by the Communication Workers Union, and would apply only to new builds:

The CWU has been striving for the European Standard (EN13724) to be added to U.K building regulations- this requires letterboxes being at a height accessible to postal workers, significantly reducing possible injuries such as, dog bites, fingers being trapped or back strain caused when bending excessively to reach ground level boxes.

This issue was first raised as far back as 1958 when the British Standards Agency deemed it appropriate that letter boxes be at a proper height. Unfortunately it was not enshrined into building standards Law. Half a century later and several high profile campaigns later the problem still exists. The Union would stress that it does not expect householders or businesses to change their doors immediately

https://cwue5.org/2016/10/03/low-level-letter-boxes-the-cwu-low-level-letter-box-campaign/

It should definitely be a standard for new builds.
  • Options

That looks a bit too low to me now. I think it's going to be somewhere close to 210 now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,333
    DavidL said:

notme2 said:

Scott_P said:

I thought that stopping speaking as soon as he had set out his full knowledge, understanding and insight of the subject was an example to be followed, frankly. I greatly wish that other members would do the same.
    If that were true, he’d never have opened his mouth.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Convention has it that the Speaker rule riders that are irrelevant to the subject at hand out of order.

That's doesn't mean he would :)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Very true and for similar reasons. They are indeed an evil menace which have been left unregulated for far too long.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019

Pulpstar said:

Convention has it that the Speaker rule riders that are irrelevant to the subject at hand out of order.

That's doesn't mean he would :)
    How about "This house bans low level letter boxes and moves that the government should not stoop so low as to ask for a second vote on the Withdrawal Agreement"? Would that be in order?
  • Options
    I'm told Kelvin Hopkins will likely vote against the deal, holding the party line for the party he's currently suspended from...... After all, he is bessy mates with Corbyn and was one of his nominators.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,333

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Use a wooden spoon to poke them through. Bit of luck, you'll choke the litte yappy sod too.....
    Is that referring to private members bills and the Speaker ?

• Options
    edited January 2019

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Rolled up Sunday Times was my fave. Wait till the furry rat took a hold and then whack the other end.

[EDIT: That second sentence looks like a jolly amusing euphemism for something or other]
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Unbelievable!!

I have been off-line for a few days and the climate of opinion seems even warmer now than it was before.

People who want to Leave, don't want the Deal, they'd rather Remain. People who want to Remain, don't want the Deal, they'd rather Leave No-deal.

All these MPs are thinking purely of the good of the country. Very encouraging: it seems that the actual on-the-ground outcomes of both Remain and the No-deal Brexit are so lacking in threat that the MPs are happy risking an all-or-nothing gamble on them.

Glad to hear it.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options

I think they will prove to be out by at least 50 abstentions but they may be near right about the level of support for May.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "Blames Speaker"

Well, whatever you need to assuage your confidence, m8.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,616
    Chris said:

That bit about "If there is any hope, it lies with the Labour party" sounds strangely familiar...
    1984? An analogy too close to the truth... :(
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

notme2 said:

Advocates of the deal are the most guilty of conflating the two. You can't simultaneously argue on the basis of the virtues of the future relationship (e.g. "free movement will end") while admitting that the future relationship is undefined.
    Rubbish. The point of the deal is that we leave the EU on good terms having met our agreed responsibilities and having joint aspirations for a close relationship in the future. That is what it is about and anyone thinking we are going to get a FTA with the EU after walking away from it is deluding themselves. So they are linked, they are just not the same.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

M&S confirms no Deal.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,616
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Very true and for similar reasons. They are indeed an evil menace which have been left unregulated for far too long.
    Yes. But what about the letterboxes?

I'll get my coat
  • Options
    That'll probably be Lucy Powell against the deal too then from the Labour side.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

Not a political activist, I see!

:smile:
    Too right!

The next thing we can ban is describing houses exclusively with names rather than numbers.
  • Options
    I just can't imagine MPs abstaining on this en masse. Just imagine how ridiculous you'd look public stating that after all the time you've had you still can't make your mind up?
This discussion has been closed.