Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the spread betting markets the number of Brexit deal “ayes”

Comments

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Is there anything to be said for giving chaos with Ed Miliband a try?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Corbyn amendment not moved.
    SNP amendment not moved.
    Leigh amendment not moved.

Presume they know they will not pass.
    Nothing will pass. Not the deal, not revoke, not even a vnoc, or a new government.

Which is why no deal is now red hot favourite.
    I was told off for vnoc last night and corrected to vonc !!!!!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ydoethur said:

SNP amendment not moved.

Nothing will pass. Not the deal, not revoke, not even a vnoc, or a new government.

Most MPs are terrified of Hard Brexit. If it comes to pass then they've only themselves to blame.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Which one are we having a division on?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Baron amendment.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    DavidL said:

F for Freddie...
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    So just the Baron amendment being voted on.

Tabled by Tory MP John Baron, it seeks to give the UK the right to terminate the Irish border backstop without having to secure the agreement of the EU.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

DavidL said:

The Baron amendment.
    Gives consent to the deal provided the Withdrawal Agreement is amended so that the UK can terminate the Northern Ireland Protocol unilaterally.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    My prediction is a loss by 204
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

SNP amendment not moved.

Ruining all the fun though
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    edited January 2019

ydoethur said:

SNP amendment not moved.

That's what I typed, but it seems to have autocorrected (or automisspelled).

Don't know why. There are some weird ones. 'Calibre' kept becoming 'Cali breaking' earlier.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Mortimer said:

Brave. You are predicting few / no abstentions then.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

SNP amendment not moved.

That's what I typed, but it seems to have autocorrected.

Don't know why. There are some weird ones. 'Calibre' kept becoming 'Cali breaking' earlier.
    It is so easy
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Mortimer said:

165 here. Still monstrous, but missing the record.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

SNP amendment not moved.

Most MPs are terrified of Hard Brexit. If it comes to pass then they've only themselves to blame.
    I don't mind blaming them. It's the fact the rest of us have to live with their mind bending stupidity, complacency and dishonesty I object to.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Mortimer said:

Brave. You are predicting few / no abstentions then.
    I don’t think abstentions will keep associations happy.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

Losing the record by 1.

Sad!
  • Options
    No idea who BBC Parliament has employed to offer commentary tonight - but they are not even trying to hide their own biases.
  • Options
    May’s speech was fantastic.
    Great to see the contempt for Corbyn dripping from her words.

This is her moment. She has done her damndest. One by one she explained why no other option is viable, including any meaningful renegotiation with the EU.

She looked confident to me, even triumphant.

What does she have up her sleeve?
  • Options
    For reference, the Baron amendment says

At end, add “subject to changes being made in the Withdrawal Agreement and in
    the Ireland/Northern Ireland Protocol so that the UK has the right to terminate the
    Protocol without having to secure the agreement of the EU.

Doomed.
  • Options
    Tulip Siddiq seems to be milking the attention for as much as she can get. She is far from the only pregnant woman to have been working right up to her due date.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

So just the Baron amendment being voted on.

Tabled by Tory MP John Baron, it seeks to give the UK the right to terminate the Irish border backstop without having to secure the agreement of the EU.

I don't see how that even makes sense.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    188 for me
  • Options

This is her moment. She has done her damndest. One by one she explained why no other option is viable, including any meaningful renegotiation with the EU.

Unless it's that nerve agent from Star Trek: Nemesis, it's not going to make much difference.
  • Options

Nothing. She might be right about everything, it still doesn't matter if parliament doesn't accept that she is right.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Tulip Siddiq seems to be milking the attention for as much as she can get. She is far from the only pregnant woman to have been working right up to her due date.

Has anyone every been born in the No lobby?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I don't know, but whatever it is you've already taken too much of it!
  • Options

To be fair she has delayed her c section and should have been paired or given a proxy vote
  • Options

I don't know, but whatever it is you've already taken too much of it!
    Hehe.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

No idea who BBC Parliament has employed to offer commentary tonight - but they are not even trying to hide their own biases.

They need someone to counterbalance Andrew Neil who in my days at the BBC would not have been allowed anywhere near such high profiles roles.
  • Options

To be fair she has delayed her c section and should have been paired or given a proxy vote
    She was offered a pair - and turned it down.

I don't believe in proxy votes - never have, never will.
  • Options

Sky suggesting that ramping up the importance of the vote when you are expecting a hammering was, well, unwise.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

Losing the record by 1.

Sad!
    I think my prediction of 195 will result in her setting a record which will stand the test of time. The circumstances where a PM takes a vote forward when so firmly opposed will be limited.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    DavidL said:

Sky suggesting that ramping up the importance of the vote when you are expecting a hammering was, well, unwise.
    I don't see how. It is important, and nothing she says will change that or the outcome. Nothing she says will mitigate that an important vote has been humiliatingly lost. There's enough to actually criticise her about without stuff like that.
  • Options

They need someone to counterbalance Andrew Neil who in my days at the BBC would not have been allowed anywhere near such high profiles roles.
    Neil isn't doing BBC Parliament
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    ydoethur said:

It's amazing to reflect that after the last few years of hatred and division Theresa May tonight has united the House of Commons and the wider country.

It is disturbing to reflect she has done so by delivering on their instructions, getting an extremely good deal that actually should satisfy most requirements, and the had them all shout that this isn't what they wanted.

What does that say about us as a nation?

It’s easier to be against something. We live in times where we are used to getting exactly what we we want. Repeatedly we have heard that May should have tried to get a consensus, but labour policy is that we need an election and Corbyn to renegotiate - not sure how she could get Labour or SNP (Scotland wants remain) on board.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I don't see how. It is important, and nothing she says will change that or the outcome. Nothing she says will mitigate that an important vote has been humiliatingly lost. There's enough to actually criticise her about without stuff like that.
    I tend to agree personally.
  • Options
    Why don't we have electronic voting? This is pretty ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    DavidL said:

What has she got to lose?

The only thing I can think of is that she plans to resign tonight and tell the Remainers that thanks to their posturing, the EU has decided to bring forward our departure date to tomorrow - so we leave with no Deal.

Then having so thoroughly shat all over her enemies so they will never, ever stop smelling of it, she will walk away cackling with laughter.

Shame about the rest of us.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    DavidL said:

Would be insanely quicker...but zero theatre :-D
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    624 - high turnout.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    600-24 😆
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691

Disagree. May was nominally appealing to Labour MPs to vote with her for the good of the country but spent her effort on trashing Corbyn. Many Labour MPs are doubtful about Corbyn, nevertheless he's one of them. If May insults Corbyn she insults them too.
  • Options
    24 - 600 Hope TM does better than that
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It's amazing to reflect that after the last few years of hatred and division Theresa May tonight has united the House of Commons and the wider country.

It is disturbing to reflect she has done so by delivering on their instructions, getting an extremely good deal that actually should satisfy most requirements, and the had them all shout that this isn't what they wanted.

What does that say about us as a nation?

It’s easier to be against something. We live in times where we are used to getting exactly what we we want. Repeatedly we have heard that May should have tried to get a consensus, but labour policy is that we need an election and Corbyn to renegotiate - not sure how she could get Labour or SNP (Scotland wants remain) on board.
    As I recall, she did invite Corbyn for talks on a way forward, and he publicly emailed her a copy of his manifesto, saying 'If you do this I'll support you.'
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    DavidL said:

He who controls the machines controls the result. Bodies are harder to fake.
  • Options
    Are there slightly fewer complete lunatics in Parliament than we thought? What an arse.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

Is she one of these too posh to push Hampstead mummies? Also, postponing the date of her C-section seems silly. It's not as if the vote is close. And doesn't it mess the NHS around? Or is she going private?

Frankly turning up for an hour to make a speech and vote is hardly hard work.

With my third, I worked up to the Friday and he was born at 6 am on the Monday, on the due date.

Anyway, she's MP for a very Remainy constituency so what the hell is she doing voting against the deal and making no deal more likely?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

The only thing I can think of is that she plans to resign tonight and tell the Remainers that thanks to their posturing, the EU has decided to bring forward our departure date to tomorrow - so we leave with no Deal.

Then having so thoroughly shat all over her enemies so they will never, ever stop smelling of it, she will walk away calling with laughter.

That would hardly be sh%tting on her main enemies, the ERG.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    Ooh, finally a spread on the vote. I’d sell at 217, would rather have sold at 222 earlier today though, damn work and life getting in the way of PB as usual. This looks like it’s going to be over earlier than expected tonight?
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    The Burton Albion of parliamentary amendments.
  • Options

I am ready, man! Ready to get it on! :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    DavidL said:

Are there slightly fewer complete lunatics in Parliament than we thought? What an arse.

The ERG said they'd vote against all the amendments anyway.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    DavidL said:

I remember watching the Scottish Parliament a couple of years ago when they had the vote on indyref2, and how strange it seemed that they voted and announced the result within a minute, compared to the ridiculous circus they have at Westminster whenever they vote on something.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Huh? Did I miss something?
  • Options

Have you had many pregnancies Simon?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

I remember watching the Scottish Parliament a couple of years ago when they had the vote on indyref2, and how strange it seemed that they voted and announced the result within a minute, compared to the ridiculous circus they have at Westminster whenever they vote on something.
    Most of the time it is harmless.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Is there still time for a whip to run in and yell "tomorrow"?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Then having so thoroughly shat all over her enemies so they will never, ever stop smelling of it, she will walk away calling with laughter.

That would hardly be sh%tting on her main enemies, the ERG.
    Oh it would. It really, really would.

They would have to explain how wrong they were...

At least Remainer MPs like Labour only have to admit they're as thick as pigshit.
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

24 votes for Baron's ludicrous amendment.
  • Options

That would be a drag for a bloke.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway, she's MP for a very Remainy constituency so what the hell is she doing voting against the deal and making no deal more likely?

Seeking remain. MPs do not fear no deal as much as they pretend they do, they are very happy to risk it in order to get remain. Or they outright want no deal at least like the ERG.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

The procedures are literally built into the fabric of the Palace of Westminster. If it burned down they'd take the chance to do a bit of modernisation. Probably.
  • Options

DavidL said:

He who controls the machines controls the result. Bodies are harder to fake.
    Hey, Beverley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate Brexiteers will protect you! Check it out. Independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. WHAP! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPGs. We got sonic, electronic ball-breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks... :)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bit ludicrous as an argument. She could hardly stand up and say, "You think THIS vote is important? You wait until the second reading of the Collective Defined Contributions Pensions Bill next week... that'll be a humdinger!"

There isn't scope to downplay it, so why bother? Put up the best show you can, and hope some of the public at least say, "She's doing her level best - it's those c*cks behind and in front of her who are the problem."
  • Options

That doesn't matter. She was offered a pair - and declined. This is about playing politics - nothing else.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    FF43 said:

Disagree. May was nominally appealing to Labour MPs to vote with her for the good of the country but spent her effort on trashing Corbyn. Many Labour MPs are doubtful about Corbyn, nevertheless he's one of them. If May insults Corbyn she insults them too.
    She wasn’t appealing to Labour MPs, she felt the hand of history on her shoulder. She was appealing to posterity.

Fascinating stuff.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Tulip Siddiq constantly putting herself where she can be seen by the TV cameras
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Seeking remain. MPs do not fear no deal as much as they pretend they do, they are very happy to risk it in order to get remain. Or they outright want no deal at least like the ERG.
    Or like her leader she wants no deal because it makes a Labour government more likely.

• Options

That doesn't matter. She was offered a pair - and declined. This is about playing politics - nothing else.
    She probably learnt a lesson from the way Jo Swinson was treated.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

If it was defeated by that much, why did the Speaker let it go forward?
  • Options

Male seahorses have the babies :)
  • Options

And that's why Barron insisted on a division - he wanted to lay down such a poor marker that the spin operation later can try and say "it got more votes than the amendment did".

Taking one for the team!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

She probably learnt a lesson from the way Jo Swinson was treated.
    Yes, she's explicitly said as much.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I think Baron was able to insist.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

For giggles?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

Offered a pair by Julian Smith. Right.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

The Speaker gave Baron several opportunities to reconsider, but Baron insisted. Ultimately, it is every member's right to demand a division, no matter how futile.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691

FF43 said:

She wasn’t appealing to Labour MPs, she felt the hand of history on her shoulder. She was appealing to posterity.

Fascinating stuff.
    She should have appealed to Labour MPs and said she was.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

FF43 said:

Fascinating stuff.
    If she wants to survive Brexit not happening, she needs to avoid being seen as responsible for betraying the referendum.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

She shouldn't have to be there.

Tory Shisters
  • Options

Perhaps her aunt is seeing if May can go down to a bigger defeat than her opponents managed. She might be wondering how even when she rigs elections she ends with lower winning margins than this.
  • Options

But they don't contribute much to PB or the HoC, on the whole.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

The very same Julian Smith who swore blind they would win this vote?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

The Speaker gave Baron several opportunities to reconsider, but Baron insisted. Ultimately, it is every member's right to demand a division, no matter how futile.
    So you're saying it was Baron's knight?
  • Options

She shouldn't have to be there.

Tory Shisters
    fake news
  • Options
    DavidL said:

They normally use monikers, so how would you know? :lol:
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Fascinating stuff.
    She should have appealed to Labour MPs and said she was.
    18 months too late.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    edited January 2019
    Nandy voted No to May's deal because she didn't like May's tone today. I would have voted on the merits or otherwise of the deal.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Seahorses have more gumption than the current HoC
  • Options
    Farron and Duncan Smith exchanging a few laffs there. It’s all shits and giggles, isn’t it?
  • Options
    A lot of MPs standing? Don't they have enough seats in the HoC?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Prediction:

Ayes 215
    Noes 413
  • Options

A lot of MPs standing? Don't they have enough seats in the HoC?

No. The House only seats 400 people.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Seahorses have more gumption than the current HoC
    And more sense.
  • Options
  • Options

No - it was direct contact from Andrea Leadsom. This would have been played utterly down the line - but it was rebuffed.
This discussion has been closed.