Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » January 2019 Local By-Elections

2»

Comments

• It has to be said that there would be something remarkably fitting about the climax of Brexit being the country finding itself up to its oxters in bullshit.
  • Fenman said:

Scott_P said:
    Jeremy Hunt hasn't called for sanctions on Venezuela, but presumably Corbyn is too thick to understand that. Alternatively he's not too thick, which would be even more alarming.
    Jeremy's solution for all international problems is discussion and compromise. But he refuses to extend such a strategy to domestic problems. Which is why a Labour led coalition under his leadership as the present polls would indicate is unviable.
    Is it really?

What discussion and compromise has he ever had or proposed with Israel?

I think Occam's razor applies and Corbyn is simply genuinely friends with the likes of Venezuela, Iran, Russia, Hamas etc.

More accurately Corbyn hates the USA and so his enemy's enemy is his friend.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230

viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

Government officials are preparing to deal with “putrefying stockpiles” of rubbish

Funny, that's Chris Grayling's nickname.
    Putrefying.stockpile@transport.gsi.gov.uk
    Failing.Grayling@transport.gsi.gov.uk
    They wanted colossal.shit@dti.gsi.gov.uk, but Mandleson was first in the queue.

• AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Government officials are preparing to deal with “putrefying stockpiles” of rubbish in the event of a no-deal Brexit, according to documents leaked to the Guardian.

If the UK leaves the EU on 29 March without a deal, export licences for millions of tonnes of waste will become invalid overnight. The Environment Agency (EA) officials said leaking stockpiles could cause pollution.

The EA is also concerned that if farmers cannot export beef and lamb a backlog of livestock on farms could cause liquid manure stores to overflow. A senior MP said the problems could cause a public health and environmental pollution emergency. An EA source said: “It could all get very ugly, very quickly.”

So we will be starving and up to our knees in manure, lovely.
    Just a wild theory but just maybe we could slaughter the beasts and, you know, eat them, resulting in a marked reduction in manure production. I'm up for that.
    That does seem like the obvious solution.
    Just what needs to happen for you (Brexiteers collectively) to realise that this is not going well, and actually, you know, might not be worth it?

We're now slaughtering animals like we have a foot and mouth outbreak, content to let the supermarket shelves empty because "we're too fat anyway", and requisitioning ferries so diabetics don't keel over on the street.

If these are the sunlit uplands...
  • David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited February 2019
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Been watching Cricket.

Did you manage to avoid nodding off? :lol:
    Do you find chess boring? Because cricket is like a physical version of the game.
    Teas are rubbish in Chess
    I know nothing about cricket but I've just been invited to Lord’s for the England v Ireland test 24 – 26 July (day 1 to 3). Is it likely to be exciting?
    Take a good book, a smartphone, and some strong drink.
    Hmm. I take that as a no. I didn't know Ireland played cricket. I knew they played rugby quite well.
    The captain of the England men's one day cricket team is Irish. Eoin Morgan.

In the Test Match West Indies are 218 for 5 in reply to England's 187. The England manager is in denial about poor preparation.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Been watching Cricket.

Do you find chess boring? Because cricket is like a physical version of the game.
    I know nothing about cricket but I've just been invited to Lord’s for the England v Ireland test 24 – 26 July (day 1 to 3). Is it likely to be exciting?
    Hmm. I take that as a no. I didn't know Ireland played cricket. I knew they played rugby quite well.
    Back in 1969 Ireland bowled out the West Indies for 25 - the West Indian team included Clive Lloyd.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Been watching Cricket.

In the Test Match West Indies are 218 for 5 in reply to England's 187. The England manager is in denial about poor preparation.
    England are still well in this, batting 4th here will be a nightmare
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,569
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Been watching Cricket.

And don’t cancel any plans you already had for day 3.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Been watching Cricket.

If the WI need to bat again that is......
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    Don't write off Trump yet: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47092341

Somehow, despite this, he has bullied the Fed into deferring interest rate increases too.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762

Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Been watching Cricket.

If the WI need to bat again that is......
    They need wickets whilst this ball is new. One more strong partnership and the game will slip away.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

matt said:

Sean_F said:

Poor girl.

A newly qualified solicitor has been struck off after she knowingly overcharged clients when she was a trainee.

Emily Scott joined the firm Quality Solicitors De Vita Platt in Barton-upon-Humber as a paralegal in 2010 before being taken on as a trainee in 2012. She soon found that there was very little of quality about the firm. The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal heard that the firms two partners, Jonathan de Vita and Christopher Platt, repeatedly ripped off a number of clients. In one instance a client was charged £52,000 for work valued at £2,500.

Platt – who claimed he couldn’t live on less than £2,000 a week – bullied the unfortunate trainee into assisting with the fraud and, subsequently, his attempts to cover it up. Scott did not benefit financially and ultimately reported the firm to the SRA. She qualified in November 2014.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/trainee-struck-overcharging-clients-after-being-bullied-partner

That seems remarkably unfair to me. People should not be punished for doing the right thing.
    The fact pattern is more complicated than that - the whistleblowing came after she left, not at the time so ah has finished her TC. Recent case law doesn’t help her either.
    That's most whistleblowers though, isn't it? Once the rose tinted glasses fall and you come to your senses.
    There was an interesting comment on ROF

(IANAL)

* because she went down the tribunal route the regulator would have appealed if she wasn’t struck off (policy)

* recent case law means the courts would have overruled the tribunal and awarded costs against this lady

* she informed the tribunal she didn’t want to practice law in future

Given this striking her off may actually be the best outcome for her
  • saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Remainers won't like this ad from the now Spain based BA.

https://youtu.be/O2w2bCMhc9k
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Apropos whistleblowers, it is not unheard of - in my experience - to find people involved in bad behaviour, then shortly before they are caught, or when they realise they are going to be caught or when an investigation is already underway, to blow the whistle as a way of trying to protect themselves from the consequences of their own actions, even when they were actively complicit in the wrongdoing.

Someone can be both a crook and a whistleblower but if the latter happens at the last minute then it does not - and should not - absolve someone from facing the consequences of their bad actions.

As ever the precise facts of who did what, when and for how long matter.
    malcolmg said:

matt said:

Scott_P said:
    I presume China, Russia and Cuba fall outside the “we oppose all..” statement.
    Usual UK , poking its nose in and trying to upset democratic decisions to suit its purpose or as US lapdog. Beggar the plebs to get the elected government out, despicable.
    The sanctions are on individuals not the country. The “plebs” have already been beggared by Maduro
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    edited February 2019

This guy Buttigieg (mentioned on PB this am) is looking good. Relaxed. Laugh at himself a bit. Got a pitch for the rustbelt.

His dog is called 'Truman'.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1091368546150612992

Are we looking at the next Veep here?

Or even more?

Ahem - I tipped him on the previous thread at 11:13 am today.

(So completely off the wall - but what about this chap?
    https://twitter.com/davidaxelrod/status/1088049704955465728)

And to give credit where it's due it was my son who mentioned him to me last Friday. He sent this to me under an email headed "For when you've got the knack of spread-betting....".

I was trying to explain it to him and failing. "Mum" - he said, somewhat witheringly - "How can you spend so much time on a betting site and not understand betting."
  • WI 240 for 6.

WI lead by 53 so far on first innings.
    Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Government officials are preparing to deal with “putrefying stockpiles” of rubbish in the event of a no-deal Brexit, according to documents leaked to the Guardian.

If the UK leaves the EU on 29 March without a deal, export licences for millions of tonnes of waste will become invalid overnight. The Environment Agency (EA) officials said leaking stockpiles could cause pollution.

The EA is also concerned that if farmers cannot export beef and lamb a backlog of livestock on farms could cause liquid manure stores to overflow. A senior MP said the problems could cause a public health and environmental pollution emergency. An EA source said: “It could all get very ugly, very quickly.”

Just a wild theory but just maybe we could slaughter the beasts and, you know, eat them, resulting in a marked reduction in manure production. I'm up for that.
    Just what needs to happen for you (Brexiteers collectively) to realise that this is not going well, and actually, you know, might not be worth it?

We're now slaughtering animals like we have a foot and mouth outbreak, content to let the supermarket shelves empty because "we're too fat anyway", and requisitioning ferries so diabetics don't keel over on the street.

Hey in Braveheart they didn’t even have clothes!
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

WI 240 for 6.

WI lead by 53 so far on first innings.

Good to see a WI test side playing well.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jonathan said:

What a load of rubbish.

The whole story stinks
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Isn't the correct grammar 'piles of putrefying waste'?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

What a load of rubbish.

The whole story stinks
    Doesn't smell right, that's for sure.
    Good news, Brexiteers!

You can volunteer to shovel the shit you dropped us in...

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1091432102753648642
    YouGov has been added to this German opinion poll page.

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
    Scott_P said:

Good news, Brexiteers!

Dig For Victory!
  • IanB2 said:

Much of the US is now facing the fastest warm up in history, as unusually low polar vortex temperatures are replaced by seasonally above average warmth. For example north Kentucky was -13 C last night and is forecast for +19 C by Sunday.

Presumably Donald will be tweeting 'Siberian winter? Please come back fast, we need you!'
    Scott_P said:

Good news, Brexiteers!

Cleaning the Augean stables was never going to be easy
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Cyclefree said:

This guy Buttigieg (mentioned on PB this am) is looking good. Relaxed. Laugh at himself a bit. Got a pitch for the rustbelt.

Or even more?

And to give credit where it's due it was my son who mentioned him to me last Friday. He sent this to me under an email headed "For when you've got the knack of spread-betting....".

I was trying to explain it to him and failing. "Mum" - he said, somewhat witheringly - "How can you spend so much time on a betting site and not understand betting."
    'A season for boldness'
    'Time to focus on the future'
    'Walk away from the politics of the past'

One thing's for sure; he won't be short of cliches.
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Good news, Brexiteers!

Cleaning the Augean stables was never going to be easy
    I suspect we will see a lot more of these 'leaked' stories as we get closer to MV2.
    Wales lucky to go in only 16 down.
    France impressive in tricky conditions.
  • Scott_P said:
    Wee Alex was still tweeting that Hilary had it in the bag on the evening of 08/11/16, so caveat emptor etc.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    edited February 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Or even more?

Good advert, and Axelrod is no fool.

Can he get traction in Iowa? I think that's likely to be the Warren vs Harris show, but he's sufficiently different, that you never know.

(Disclaimer: I can't think of the last time a Mayor became President. Or a nominee. And South Bend, Indiana, while not tiny is no New York or Los Angeles. Or even a Denver or a New Orleans.)
    dixiedean said:

Wales lucky to go in only 16 down.
    France impressive in tricky conditions.

France trying to chuck it away now. Normal service.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Scott_P said:
    I’m slightly surprised that Adonis never stood for election to the European Parliament. The list system would have guaranteed a seat.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:

Good news, Brexiteers!

Nah. We can feed it to all those Remainers who are dumb enough to believe the stories about food shortages. Just tell them this is all there is too eat and they are so stupid they will believe their own idiotic propaganda.

Edit. Enjoy eating your cardboard box Scott.

I am going to feast on your delicious regret, and quaff Brexitears...
    Scott_P said:

Brexiteers are going to feast on that massive buffet of Remainer Humble Pie, as Brexit turns out really rather well....
  • Scott_P said:

In which case you will starve. Which would be fitting.
    Wales 17
    France 16
    AndyJS said:

Wales 17
    France 16

It's pinball out there!

Scott_P said:

Brexiteers are going to feast on that massive buffet of Remainer Humble Pie, as Brexit turns out really rather well....
    Provided we Leave on time, you can quaff, feast or otherwise gustate whatever you wish.

(There's nothing like having money on an outcome to focus the mind... :) )
    Very quiet on here tonight.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_P said:

Good news, Brexiteers!

Nah. We can feed it to all those Remainers who are dumb enough to believe the stories about food shortages. Just tell them this is all there is too eat and they are so stupid they will believe their own idiotic propaganda.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/10/tesco-and-ms-stockpile-tinned-food-to-prepare-for-no-deal-brexit

Serious question, do you believe that story to be idiotic propaganda? If so is the guardian lying to us, or are the supermarkets lying to the guardian, or both, or what?

Call me mr credulous if you will, but I am strangely persuaded by the claims that lots of our food comes from abroad and that getting it here from abroad will become problematic in the event of a no deal exit. Where am I going wrong?
    AndyJS said:

France v Wales absorbing.....
    Tonight, we shall all quaff French tears.....
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cheese eating surrender monkeys.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited February 2019
    Brexit supporters on here remind me of those rather funny clips 10 years ago of Hitler in the bunker. Still pledging support to a failing Brexit. 10 years ago The subtitles were changed to fit Gordon Browns travails. What ever you think of Brexit, whether you support it or are opposed, the UK is in need of some humour about the situation we are embarked upon as this anodyne environment of trench warfare on Brexit sucks the life out of everything. Depressing!

AndyJS said:

France v Wales absorbing.....
    Very peculiar game of two halves.
    A winger runs through a lock, a comedy knock on 1 yard from the line under little pressure, and a ludicrous pass for an interception.
    Rugby equivalent of 3 own goals.
  • See the French collapsed to our lads tonight. Great game and super result
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Brexit supporters on here remind me of those rather funny clips 10 years ago of Hitler in the bunker. Still pledging support to a failing Brexit. 10 years ago The subtitles were changed to fit Gordon Browns travails. What ever you think of Brexit, whether you support it or are opposed, the UK is in need of some humour about the situation we are embarked upon as this anodyne environment of trench warfare on Brexit sucks the life out of everything. Depressing!

Come on, this was good.

https://youtu.be/svwslRDTyzU
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673

malcolmg said:

matt said:

Scott_P said:
    I presume China, Russia and Cuba fall outside the “we oppose all..” statement.
    Usual UK , poking its nose in and trying to upset democratic decisions to suit its purpose or as US lapdog. Beggar the plebs to get the elected government out, despicable.
    hi malcolm,

how was warhorse?

went to see MQ of S but was very disappointed. leading actresses were good but the script/editing left me quite bored to be honest. I was more interested trying to identify the locations they used (which I did pretty well on I think). and I was amused by the travelling scenes that had so few extras they could have almost have been out of monty python with a man with a couple of coconuts pretending to be the horse. of course this could have been historically accurate.
    Hello Paul, It was very good indeed, enjoyed it a lot thank you.

Tonight, we shall all quaff French tears.....

More quaffing than when Stephen Fry did a Lord Vultan impersonation for a quaff company.
  • Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

I live out in the sticks. My Mrs spends lambing season hand feeding the local orphan lambs. I know a few farmers really well, and in general, they're a little concerned about CAP, but none of them are slotting their beasts in panic. It might just be a local thing, but they never struggle to sell their produce to local butchers. We live well.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

See the French collapsed to our lads tonight. Great game and super result

Unlike Tezzie, they went to Europe and didn't come back empty handed.
  • Brexit supporters on here remind me of those rather funny clips 10 years ago of Hitler in the bunker. Still pledging support to a failing Brexit. 10 years ago The subtitles were changed to fit Gordon Browns travails. What ever you think of Brexit, whether you support it or are opposed, the UK is in need of some humour about the situation we are embarked upon as this anodyne environment of trench warfare on Brexit sucks the life out of everything. Depressing!

Sadly for remainers, Corbyn showed he is a brexiteer and wants chaos in no deal, while most of his members and mps let him. Why Starmer is still shadow brexit secretary I have no idea

While the type of brexit is still uncertain remain or a referendum is now a very faint likelihood

I am not excited by it but if it happens, it does respect the referendum
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited February 2019

See the French collapsed to our lads tonight. Great game and super result

Unlike Tezzie, they went to Europe and didn't come back empty handed.
    She came back with a deal. It was just the ultra brexteers and remainers dished it, as other than full on no deal or full on remain, nothing satisfies their lust to win

Sadly for remainers, Corbyn showed he is a brexiteer and wants chaos in no deal, while most of his members and mps let him. Why Starmer is still shadow brexit secretary I have no idea

While the type of brexit is still uncertain remain or a referendum is now a very faint likelihood

However. The route to Remain lies through extension. A never ending period of preparing to Leave, but no government being brave or foolhardy enough to go through with it.
    A never ending purgatory.
    For ever and ever.
    No more or less than we deserve.
  • dixiedean said:

However. The route to Remain lies through extension. A never ending period of preparing to Leave, but no government being brave or foolhardy enough to go through with it.
    For ever and ever.
    Fortunately the EU will not agree to an extension with a never ending destination

I do believe TM deal, improved or not, will eventually pass and we exit on the 29th March
    Jonathan said:

Come on, this was good.

https://youtu.be/svwslRDTyzU
    Yes, I had forgotten that one!

dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.
    Fortunately the EU will not agree to an extension with a never ending destination

I do believe TM deal, improved or not, will eventually pass and we exit on the 29th March
    I am not so sure I share your optimism. I think 29th March is likely to be postponed due to the amount of legislation required and related to that the recess in parliament going ahead. I think postponement is a done deal.

I am still concerned that No Deal will happen and I might have difficulty getting my medication, which unnervingly seems to be imported from elsewhere in the EU.

I suspect a second referendum will not happen as it is too divisive.
    edited February 2019

dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.

No the EU won't. However, a period in limbo (in the true theological sense) would serve us so right.
  • dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.

I am not so sure I share your optimism. I think 29th March is likely to be postponed due to the amount of legislation required and related to that the recess in parliament going ahead. I think postponement is a done deal.

I am still concerned that No Deal will happen and I might have difficulty getting my medication, which unnervingly seems to be imported from elsewhere in the EU.
    I am leaning to a deal being agreed to enable us to leave on the 29th March, but if a few weeks is required for the parliamentary work to be completed I do not see that as a problem for the EU to agree

Both my wife and I are dependent on medication and I expect the supplies to be maintained, no matter the outcome. At least I am not worrying about it at this stage

dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.

I am leaning to a deal being agreed to enable us to leave on the 29th March, but if a few weeks is required for the parliamentary work to be completed I do not see that as a problem for the EU to agree

Both my wife and I are dependent on medication and I expect the supplies to be maintained, no matter the outcome. At least I am not worrying about it at this stage

I tend to be cautious in my approach to life these days, so this is why I am concerned about medication.

I suspect a Deal is going to be harder to obtain unless we end up with single market access and customs union to get around NI. I can see ERG + DUP hope of NI backstop changes being frustrated. In my mind though if we stay in the customs union and single market we might as well stay in the EU and have a say in the future development of things.
  • dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.

No the EU won't. However, a period in limbo (in the true theological sense) would serve us so right.
    But why do you want the UK punished no matter your views on brexit.
  • dixiedean said:

However. The route to Remain lies through extension.

I tend to be cautious in my approach to life these days, so this is why I am concerned about medication.

I suspect a Deal is going to be harder to obtain unless we end up with single market access and customs union to get around NI. I can see ERG + DUP hope of NI backstop changes being frustrated. In my mind though if we stay in the customs union and single market we might as well stay in the EU and have a say in the future development of things.
    And I agree 100% with you. Norway style brexit is a sell out and we are better remaining

TM deal is brexit and I do not see any choice other than the deal or no deal, which would be unforgiveable

dixiedean said:

And I agree 100% with you. Norway style brexit is a sell out and we are better remaining

TM deal is brexit and I do not see any choice other than the deal or no deal, which would be unforgiveable
    Thanks, I wish you a good night.
  • dixiedean said:

Brexit supporters on here remind me of those rather funny clips 10 years ago of Hitler in the bunker. Still pledging support to a failing Brexit. 10 years ago The subtitles were changed to fit Gordon Browns travails. What ever you think of Brexit, whether you support it or are opposed, the UK is in need of some humour about the situation we are !

Thanks, I wish you a good night.
    And you

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.

I didn't say I wanted it. I said we would deserve it. For the appalling decline in the standards of public discourse. The incivility. The threats, insults and widespread unpleasantness unleashed by the whole process.
    On both sides.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited February 2019
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.

I didn't say I wanted it. I said we would deserve it. For the appalling decline in the standards of public discourse. The incivility. The threats, insults and widespread unpleasantness unleashed by the whole process.
    On both sides.
    I really do share your view on this and it makes me weep at times. It is a disaster for harmony and tolerance but if as is reported tonight, 40 labour mps back TM deal, it does look much more likely that the deal will go through and we will leave on the 29th March.

It is then upto everyone on all sides to at least try to come together
    "Harry Redknapp: We must do something about knife crime epidemic"

https://news.sky.com/story/harry-redknapp-we-must-do-something-about-knife-crime-epidemic-11625184
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited February 2019

I really do share your view on this and it makes me weep at times. It is a disaster for harmony and tolerance but if as is reported tonight, 40 labour mps back TM deal, it does look much more likely that the deal will go through and we will leave on the 29th March.

Still be tight - 38 Tory rebels would be enough to block it.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,721
    I am 0beginining to think any form of BREXIT will have to do.
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.

On both sides.
    man up
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.

On both sides.

OMG - we never used to be a nation of wimps. Where is our Maggie? Where is our Winston?
  • Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Good news, Brexiteers!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/10/tesco-and-ms-stockpile-tinned-food-to-prepare-for-no-deal-brexit

Serious question, do you believe that story to be idiotic propaganda? If so is the guardian lying to us, or are the supermarkets lying to the guardian, or both, or what?

Call me mr credulous if you will, but I am strangely persuaded by the claims that lots of our food comes from abroad and that getting it here from abroad will become problematic in the event of a no deal exit. Where am I going wrong?
    Yes it is idiotic propaganda. Partly done by supermarkets who are primarily stockpiling because they fear panic buying and partly fed by those who wish to see it accepted as inevitable as part of the campaign to ensure we do not have a No Deal Brexit.

A No Deal would be bad for the British economy. It will not mean food shortages nor medicines running out. Anyone who actually believes that really is too dumb to be let out on their own.

In a way of course I hope there are lots of gullible morons out there believing this as I am in favour of the Deal. But don't for a minute think that means I believe this bullshit. It has as much basis in fact as Anorak's bullshit about slaughtering animals.

• NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Good news, Brexiteers!

Yes it is idiotic propaganda. Partly done by supermarkets who are primarily stockpiling because they fear panic buying and partly fed by those who wish to see it accepted as inevitable as part of the campaign to ensure we do not have a No Deal Brexit.

A No Deal would be bad for the British economy. It will not mean food shortages nor medicines running out. Anyone who actually believes that really is too dumb to be let out on their own.

In a way of course I hope there are lots of gullible morons out there believing this as I am in favour of the Deal. But don't for a minute think that means I believe this bullshit. It has as much basis in fact as Anorak's bullshit about slaughtering animals.

I think this is a lesson in people hearing want they want to hear. I have already heard sensible people saying we will be starving after Brexit (not that there will be problems with some items) and that the economy will collapse (not that there will be a small change over a number of years). Unfortunately I now fear that there will be so many of these it is self fulfilling. Panic buying leading to economic issues around confidence.

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.

On both sides.

OMG - we never used to be a nation of wimps. Where is our Maggie? Where is our Winston?
    Both thankfully dead and buried . Man up and face the present .
  • dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

For ever and ever.

On both sides.

If a deal is agreed and ratified, we won't be leaving on March 29 - the timetable is too tight to get the enabling legislation through. June 30 is more likely. If we leave on March 29, it'll be without a deal.
This discussion has been closed.