Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we on the point of breakthrough?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we on the point of breakthrough?

This may mean nothing at all but May, Juncker, Barnier, Tim Barrow looked ABSOLUTELY delighted arriving tonight in Strasbourg

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Primus inter pares!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,728
    No.

Next question.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    It's all jolly exciting. :D
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    GBP/EUR holding steady at 1.17...
    ydoethur said:

No.

Next question.

QTWTAIN?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited March 2019
    Junker looks tired.

Gin1138 is right, it is all very exciting, but let us not forget that the EU and our government agreed a deal before, and their thinking they've come up with something that will get through parliament is no guarantee. There's still almost half of parliament, remainers and leavers, who have no reason to back any deal whatsoever, even if they claim they might entertain the idea.

So a breakthrough of sorts, which might switch a few more people to a deal? Perhaps. Enough to see it passed? To persuade the reasonable folks of the *checks list* DUP and ERG?

I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    If the solution the current impasse is to just say we've solved it, it begs the question why not just declare Brexit done (and leave everything as it is)...
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    At the risk of annoying @Big_G again, why does Mrs May wear a jacket with sleeves so much shorter than her arms?

(Still, at least the hat has gone.....).
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702
    Je m'apelle Donald Madame May est parlant Merde
    edited March 2019
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

No.

Next question.

QTWTAIN?
    The point is if it wasn't the backstop the ERG will find another reason to vote against. They will say there's an R in the month, or it doesn't protect the City, or the typeface is wrong. And this is because their preferred outcome is now the default.

It's Remainers that May needs to win over, and they are fixated on the idea that if the deal is vetoed May will revoke. While it would be nice to think this was possible, I fear they a tragically and disastrously mistaken. Their intransigence is more likely to end in No Deal.

• Why is Theresa May wearing a bomb disposal outfit ?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Scott_P said:

If the solution the current impasse is to just say we've solved it, it begs the question why not just declare Brexit done (and leave everything as it is)...

“By revoking Article 50, we have secured a unilateral exit clause allowing us to move to WTO terms with 2 years’ notice. This is the best Brexit deal for Leavers and Remainers.”
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    edited March 2019

dots said:

nico67 said:

More faux drama for the plebs to believe May is battling for Britain .

The deals been done already . May isn’t going to come back empty handed . There’s no unilateral exit or end date this deal is around the arbitration panel and some extra legal assurances via a joint interpretative instrument .

As enough brexiteers such as David Davis indicated he wants to support the deal and explained privately to May what he needs to save face, what you describe here is all about 120 of them need. This 120 will be joined by 30+ Labour MPs tomorrow as May’s withdraw agreement looks set to pass comfortably.

If bets on leaving specified end of March (I know at least one poster up to their balls in such a bet) they are still on in my opinion as needing a few extra weeks to pass the legal formalities might not be needed, the financial side of things dont kick in till 18th April so finance legislation cant hold up brexit partying at end of th month.

Anyone excited by leaving should Start thinking about how to celebrate tomark the occasion.
    Don't toy with viewcode's heart like that
    If we leave with a deal on time, then I will be pleased but that's not why the bet was placed. My bet, which I may have mentioned, :) was placed to insure myself against the effects (currency collapse,etc) of a no-deal departure. If we leave late with a deal, then losing the stake is not a problem as I assume GBP will climb back up to £1=$1:40 and that more than makes up the difference.
    Scott_P said:

Indeed. Let's just take down all the EU flags and pretend we've left.

Why is Theresa May wearing a bomb disposal outfit ?

She's anticipating going to a meeting with Corbyn later?

Negotiations with the Irish have taken a turn for the worse?
    edited March 2019

She's heard the ERG are preparing her a gift when she gets back.

Edit: I could have gone for the easy Irish joke like that poser RobD, but I have too much integrity for that :)
    kle4 said:

do they think she's fawkesed it up?

Ah, non, non. Madame May dit des bêtises. Elle ne comprend rien; son Parlement est plein d'idiots. Il faut arriver a une conclusion ainsi que nous pouvons discuter autre sujet. N'importe quel sujet mais surtout pas Brexit.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    kle4 said:

Junker looks tired.

Gin1138 is right, it is all very exciting, but let us not forget that the EU and our government agreed a deal before, and their thinking they've come up with something that will get through parliament is no guarantee. There's still almost half of parliament, remainers and leavers, who have no reason to back any deal whatsoever, even if they claim they might entertain the idea.

So a breakthrough of sorts, which might switch a few more people to a deal? Perhaps. Enough to see it passed? To persuade the reasonable folks of the *checks list* DUP and ERG?

On the previous occasions I remember May claiming everything had been agreed and everyone was on board when she hadn't even spoken to the DUP. I would hope she has at least let them know what they are supposed to be agreeing/rejecting this time.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Cyclefree said:

At the risk of annoying @Big_G again, why does Mrs May wear a jacket with sleeves so much shorter than her arms?

May does have some peculiar taste in clothes and shoes. I quite like it in an "eccentric national treasure" sort of sense.
    Cyclefree said:

Ah, non, non. Madame May dit des bêtises. Elle ne comprend rien; son Parlement est plein d'idiots. Il faut arriver a une conclusion ainsi que nous pouvons discuter autre sujet. N'importe quel sujet mais surtout pas Brexit.
    Er, d'accord?
    kle4 said:

Edit: I could have gone for the easy Irish joke like that poser RobD, but I have too much integrity for that :)
    What can I say, I'm a man of bad taste.
  • So she's flown to France to make a unilateral demand that the United Kingdom's Attorney General change his legal opinion that the backstop means she's fucked. Because if he doesn't she's fucked.

They were right - the negotiation has deadlocked. No not the one with the EU. The one in the Cabinet.
    glw said:

Cyclefree said:

May does have some peculiar taste in clothes and shoes. I quite like it in an "eccentric national treasure" sort of sense.
    The colour is nice. A sort of RAF blue. But I do wish she would get rid of the boiled sweet necklaces she wears. And her lipstick is far too dark and red. At her age it needs to be softer. Such a dark lipstick ages her. And the tone is all wrong for her skin.
  • hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    I am thinking that this is the end of the union. The English tories will quickly push to exit the customs union and Scotland will say no. The eu will allow England to go so long as Northern Ireland and Scotland get their own vote. The hard border will move to hadrians wall.

I am thinking that this is the end of the union. The English tories will quickly push to exit the customs union and Scotland will say no. The eu will allow England to go so long as Northern Ireland and Scotland get their own vote. The hard border will move to hadrians wall.

Almost all of Northumberland and most of Newcastle and North Tyneside is north of Hadrian's wall.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

The colour is nice. A sort of RAF blue. But I do wish she would get rid of the boiled sweet necklaces she wears. And her lipstick is far too dark and red. At her age it needs to be softer. Such a dark lipstick ages her. And the tone is all wrong for her skin.
    May plainly has her own view on such matters, she certainly can't be accused of dressing anonymously or slavishly following trends.
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

One of the most disastrous parts of the 2017 election was that severe bowl haircut she had at the time that made her look like a Lego figure.
    glw said:

Cyclefree said:

Her shoes are nice. She has a good figure and good legs. But she needs to stand up straight. She tends to hunch over and when walking she can look like a stork walking. I'd also get her hairdresser to put some layers into her hair so that her hair does not look quite so much like a grey helmet.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Could be a long night

Speaking on condition of anonymity, one of the group said they had primed veteran Tory MP Bill Cash and his legal assistants to work through the night to examine any concessions May secures from her Strasbourg meeting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-11/negotiations-deadlocked-ahead-of-key-vote-on-deal-brexit-update
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    Cyclefree said:

[gallic shrug] Mais je ne comprends pas le français!
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Er, d'accord?
    Surely you learnt French at school.......? It seems to be taught to practically every English school child and yet you can barely find any adult speaking it.
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    edited March 2019
    Good to see TMay wearing an EOD suit to the negotiations in that Samuel Stolton twitter pic.

Edit: beaten to it by TSE wizardry below
    TGOHF said:

Could be a long night

Speaking on condition of anonymity, one of the group said they had primed veteran Tory MP Bill Cash and his legal assistants to work through the night to examine any concessions May secures from her Strasbourg meeting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-11/negotiations-deadlocked-ahead-of-key-vote-on-deal-brexit-update

The lawyers include Dominic Raab, Nigel Dodds and Suella Braverman...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

Her shoes are nice. She has a good figure and good legs. But she needs to stand up straight. She tends to hunch over and when walking she can look like a stork walking. I'd also get her hairdresser to put some layers into her hair so that her hair does not look quite so much like a grey helmet.
    Grey Helmet is her Avengers superhero name.....
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542

She's about to be hoisted by her own petard.

kle4 said:

Junker looks tired.

On the previous occasions I remember May claiming everything had been agreed and everyone was on board when she hadn't even spoken to the DUP. I would hope she has at least let them know what they are supposed to be agreeing/rejecting this time.
    Nothing is agreed until everyone is agreed?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Wibble. Referendums are sooo passé. The SNP are on the wane.
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

I was talking about May's shoes earlier, because I was teaching baout that crazy sod Khrushchev and his shoe. I commented if May did that at least we would be able to comment on the pattern.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

She has quite a resemblance to the Marabou Stork of East Africa

https://youtu.be/_5NCubQutpE
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

One of the most disastrous parts of the 2017 election was that severe bowl haircut she had at the time that made her look like a Lego figure.
    Will she come out at her press conference to Everything Is Awesome?
    Cyclefree said:

Oui autre sujet

AV HOPEFULLY
  • Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Er, d'accord?
    Surely you learnt French at school.......? It seems to be taught to practically every English school child and yet you can barely find any adult speaking it.
    I used to be able to speak fluent French without an accent, now I sound like Officer Crabtree.
    glw said:

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

May plainly has her own view on such matters, she certainly can't be accused of dressing anonymously or slavishly following trends.
    True. I suspect that she has always had such a lipstick. But as you get older you need to change. Very very few older women can wear such a colour and certainly not someone with Mrs May's colouring. Still, she is much more elegant than most women MPs. I do not begrudge her this indulgence.
    Devrions-nous avoir une règle que tous les messages devraient être en Français ce soir
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Er, d'accord?
    I took Spanish, but I could not speak a word of it now. I could manage a few words of French as I did a couple of years of that as well, but overall it was a complete waste of time. I regret that, but that I could do so many years of both and know next to nothing about either is surely an indicator that the way we teach it is pretty woeful? I mean as much as a lot of the blame is on me, I cannot be that bad, right? I know each about as well as the mangled latin I did for a single course at Uni.

I'd definitely support languages be taught a primary school, it seems such a useful skill but it's so easy to not find the time later.
  • Marco1Marco1 Posts: 34
    If , (a big if) , there is serious progress tonight then the one thing I believe a lot of people will agree upon is the horrendous mess that our MPs, May, the EU and Government have made of the last two wasted Years of ridiculous diplomacy. It has clearly indicated that democracy only works if you are an Elite and have Elite views.

Cyclefree said:

Oui autre sujet

AV HOPEFULLY
    Ou peut-être les bêtises de Mr Corbyn?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Almost all of Northumberland and most of Newcastle and North Tyneside is north of Hadrian's wall.
    Don't forget bits of Cumbria.
    edited March 2019
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Er, d'accord?
    [swaggering] Man, I've got GCSE A-grades in French AND German :)
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,875
    Well, I am delighted that No Deal is coming off the table for the next two years. But how do we avoid it in 2021?
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Oui autre sujet

AV HOPEFULLY
    Ou peut-être les bêtises de Mr Corbyn?
    Non
    Marco1 said:

If , (a big if) , there is serious progress tonight then the one thing I believe a lot of people will agree upon is the horrendous mess that our MPs, May, the EU and Government have made of the last two wasted Years of ridiculous diplomacy. It has clearly indicated that democracy only works if you are an Elite and have Elite views.

Indeed. But I think that is the view that many of us have already come to no matter what the outcome tonight.

Well, I am delighted that No Deal is coming off the table for the next two years. But how do we avoid it in 2021?

Isn't that the point of the backstop. Permanent customs union/single market membership without any pay (or say)?

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

Famously Samuel L Jackson had a purple lightsaber in Star Wars. So presumably his Avengers superhero name is Purple Helmet.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

The backstop?!

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Er, d'accord?
    Well my youngest has those and in Spanish. Still seems incapable of saying a word in any language other than "What's for dinner?".
    Scott_P said:
    So we are down to seeing who actually have a problem with the deal and who is just posturing, but the fact that we know that means it will still be hard for those posturing to stop without looking like idiots. Great.
    Well that's a bloody stupid quote.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837
    Brexit means

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Er, d'accord?
    Apres Sunil le deluge

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Er, d'accord?
    I used to be able to speak fluent French without an accent, now I sound like Officer Crabtree.
    Translation: "I used to be able to spook fluent Frunch without an occent, now I sound like Efficer Crabtroo!"
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    kle4 said:

I took Spanish, but I could not speak a word of it now. I could manage a few words of French as I did a couple of years of that as well, but overall it was a complete waste of time. I regret that, but that I could do so many years of both and know next to nothing about either is surely an indicator that the way we teach it is pretty woeful?

Same here, French at school, can barely remember it. Strangely though, can sort-of understand it spoken.

Learned Spanish as an adult and it has stuck, because the teaching methods were far superior ...... ie I paid for them privately.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

Rolling up her sleeves?

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Er, d'accord?
    https://youtu.be/FJ3M8cj70vs
  • Odds on Mark Francois denouncing tonight's agreement before midnight?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Cyclefree said:

[gallic shrug] Mais je ne comprends pas le français!
    TGV a la Grande Brittagne enactement!

(My French is non-existant)

Really might be the case that the rather shiny GB train is leaving the station though.

In most ways, perhaps all ways, I hope its a stopping service.

• nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Read Edward Leigh on Hansard . The link is on Faisal Islam’s Twitter .

The AG will definitely change his legal advice if Leigh is correct on this unilateral declaration .
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

"Alexa, give me an example of the wish being father to the thought"
    I am sure Stodge will remind us that even if a political miracle now occurs for the deal it does not excuse what has gone on before, but frankly I'd take at least a weak of euphoria at something, anything, being agreed in principle by the opposing sides. And between the UK and the EU.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837
    RobD said:

Isn't that the point of the backstop. Permanent customs union/single market membership without any pay (or say)?
    That'd be an incredible deal if it was true.
  • So the ERG lawyers group look at the detail and say Nuts - and the DUP do likewise- then what?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited March 2019

So the ERG lawyers group look at the detail and say Nuts - and the DUP do likewise- then what?

Brexit delenda est.

PS - I know that's not the correct Latin but I can't be arsed.

So the ERG lawyers group look at the detail and say Nuts - and the DUP do likewise- then what?

Labour enable a Tory brexit. :smile:

Odds on Mark Francois denouncing tonight's agreement before midnight?

That's an interesting post. Has he not actually denounced it yet?

Devrions-nous avoir une règle que tous les messages devraient être en Français ce soir

Non. J'ai décidé d'ennuyer Mr Cash et Mr Rees-Mogg.

Forse continuerò in italiano......
  • viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

Famously Samuel L Jackson had a purple lightsaber in Star Wars. So presumably his Avengers superhero name is Purple Helmet.
    No that's Boris's superhero name
  • Cyclefree said:

You don't annoy me - I read your posts with great interest to be honest and have much admiration for your contributions
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    When Brexit finally goes through witnessing the meltdown of these smarmy sneering wankers on Twitter will be worth the wait. You can smell how much some of them hate Britain and all it stands for.

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    Drutt said:

"Alexa, give me an example of the wish being father to the thought"
    I doubt a Scottish Unionist would possess these kind of wishes, let alone let them father those wee basterts.

As certain as a very certain thing.
    What a terrible list of Friends episodes.

Amusing though. Which one is Cox, the one in contempt of parliament?

And of all the reasons to dislike Gove, as a non-Tory, why would stabbing Boris in the back be one of them?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    nico67 said:

The AG will definitely change his legal advice if Leigh is correct on this unilateral declaration .

"A conditional interpretative declaration is a more forceful variant of this instrument of international diplomacy whereby the United Kingdom would assert that its ​consent to be bound by the withdrawal agreement is dependent upon the interpretation that the backstop has an end date."

If it's tantamount to putting an end-date in the WA, surely the EU would no more accept it than that?

Although I think the EU would countenance an end date after say, five or ten years (wherears the ERG want 10 months!).
  • Odds on Mark Francois denouncing tonight's agreement before midnight?

Hasn't he done it already - that must be a first
    And yet those are still better odds than for someone with competence or ability emerging in Labour.

Which is a pretty shocking thought.

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

No that's Boris's superhero name
    :)
    They don't need them, they're already so damn good at it.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    "Over the last few weeks, JLM has been contacted by hundreds of people asking us to run our antisemitism awareness training at CLPs, branches, Labour groups....

We have made this training available to the Labour Party NEC, NCC, and staff which has not been taken up...

We cannot accept the suggestion that the Party knows better than its Jewish affiliate, or the Jewish community what constitutes antisemitism. Particularly when in recent days press reports have demonstrated the Party has failed time and again to identify clear cases of antisemitism, with senior members of the Leader of the Opposition's Office directly intervening in disciplinary cases.

Whilst the Equalities and Human Rights Commission explore our referral of the Labour Party for institutional racism, we cannot in good faith continue to provide our training whilst the Party seek to undermine our role in this way..."
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

I'm sure he's roaring with anger already.
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Off topic. Ricky Gervais’s new series After Life is very good. Very well observed and I laughed out loud a few times. It’s also quite lovely and poignant at the end.
    Gervais gets up my nose at times and I questioned whether he’d lost it after splitting with Stephen Merchant but fair play, I thought this series was top drawer.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited March 2019

Although I think the EU would countenance an end date after say, five or ten years

Yep - that was always the case, they just weren't ever going to put it in writing. There never was any realistic prospect of the UK being tied in long-term against its consent.

nico67 said:

"A conditional interpretative declaration is a more forceful variant of this instrument of international diplomacy whereby the United Kingdom would assert that its ​consent to be bound by the withdrawal agreement is dependent upon the interpretation that the backstop has an end date."

If it's tantamount to putting an end-date in the WA, surely the EU would no more accept it than that?

Although I think the EU would countenance an end date after say, five or ten years (wherears the ERG want 10 months!).
    It does have an end date - the date when the future relationship comes into effect. I don't see how unilaterally asserting that it has an end date does anything to control when that date might be.
  • Cyclefree said:

glw said:

Cyclefree said:

Will she come out at her press conference to Everything Is Awesome?
    As long as it is not Ode to Joy !!!!!
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Er, d'accord?
    https://youtu.be/FJ3M8cj70vs
    The actor sitting down at the front was Richard Marner, a racing friend of my Dad. We used to go racing with him and other disreputable but charming characters, some of them wearing sheepskin coats and liberally dispensing notes to me for my bets. It was all very exciting - though everyone behaved entirely properly - and instilled a life long love of racing.

Yay! The start of Cheltenham tomorrow!!
    Sean_F said:

I'm sure he's roaring with anger already.
    I bet his first words as a baby were 'No Backstop!'
    ydoethur said:

And yet those are still better odds than for someone with competence or ability emerging in Labour.

Which is a pretty shocking thought.
    Starmer has had a good Brexit so far.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    This. This. This.

The whole thing is about convenient legal advice. The EU having unreasonably refused to change everything to help Mr Codpiece out of a legal hole of his own making, now stands by while he makes it up (unilaterally).

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1105193436318261250

This discussion has been closed.