Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting opinion moves sharply against TMay’s chances of gettin

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

I can understand why a lot of Tory MPs are voting against the deal, but I can't understand why Labour MPs are doing so.

Because they are the opposition?
    Traditionally speaking, you'd expect Labour to prefer a Deal just on a policy basis.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Never seen a photo of the lobbies before. I know its not a secret ballot anyway but that doesn't sit right with me.

All Parliamentary division votes by MPs are a matter of public record.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Sandpit said:

Never seen a photo of the lobbies before. I know its not a secret ballot anyway but that doesn't sit right with me.

Nope, they'll be in trouble with the Speaker for that photo.
    Several MPs published photos from the lobbies during the last meaningful vote.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

My conclusion is that not enough of the ERG (they’re bright sparks, that lot) will work out they need to vote for the Deal in the next few minutes to keep it alive.

They’ll probably work it out in a few weeks time, by which time it’ll be history and life (and politics) will have moved on.

May and the EU should have done better if they wanted this deal backing. This deal is pathetic and the fact its the only deal before us is not good enough.
    The deal is a very fair deal and fully worthy of backing.
    Didn't agree with you in January, don't agree with you now. Sorry but nothing has changed.

This deal was told no - emphatically - in January. It should have been changed and nothing has changed. It needs to be told no again.
    You’re a unicorns or Remain “Brexiteer”.

Forgive me if I don’t take your views too seriously.
    The backstop is a unicorn. It will never pass.

The backstop is without parallel a huge and unprecedented violation in sovereignty - can you find me a simple example ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD of a sovereign nation having sacrificed its controls and customs to a foreign body in which it gets zero say and in which it can't unilaterally exit out of that arrangement to regain control?
    To be honest, Philip, I’m both bored and tired of responding to the hyperbole on this.

There is plenty in the joint UK/EU political declaration to commit both parties to work for frictionless solutions in the permanent deal to overcome this, further reinforced by the qualifying riders and clarifying letters. It’s neither in the UK’s or EU’s interests for it to last.

And NI is going to need to have some sort of special status wrt. the EU and UK in any Brexit scenario, and indeed, does so now. The whole place is a compromise.
    I have no qualms with a compromise. The backstop isn't a compromise it is abject surrender.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Your bet with SeanT really has been the most fantastic rollercoaster ride.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Looks like the headbangers have decided that the wall needs extra impact for now.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

Stephen Barclay cannot pronounce the letter “r”.

Neither can I.

It amuses me that the term for this condition is rhotacism. Hence a condition the afflicted cannot pronounce. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotacism_(speech_impediment)
    Apparently the fear of palindromes is aibohphobia which is itself a palindrome.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,114

Looks like the headbangers have decided that the wall needs extra impact for now.

If Fabricant hit the walls of Dover Castle with his head, I'm willing to bet it would be the walls that would shatter.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Looks like a hammering.
  • Options

My conclusion is that not enough of the ERG (they’re bright sparks, that lot) will work out they need to vote for the Deal in the next few minutes to keep it alive.

They’ll probably work it out in a few weeks time, by which time it’ll be history and life (and politics) will have moved on.

May and the EU should have done better if they wanted this deal backing. This deal is pathetic and the fact its the only deal before us is not good enough.
    Didn't agree with you in January, don't agree with you now. Sorry but nothing has changed.

This deal was told no - emphatically - in January. It should have been changed and nothing has changed. It needs to be told no again.

The backstop is without parallel a huge and unprecedented violation in sovereignty - can you find me a simple example ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD of a sovereign nation having sacrificed its controls and customs to a foreign body in which it gets zero say and in which it can't unilaterally exit out of that arrangement to regain control?
    To be honest, Philip, I’m both bored and tired of responding to the hyperbole on this.

There is plenty in the joint UK/EU political declaration to commit both parties to work for frictionless solutions in the permanent deal to overcome this, further reinforced by the qualifying riders and clarifying letters. It’s neither in the UK’s or EU’s interests for it to last.

And NI is going to need to have some sort of special status wrt. the EU and UK in any Brexit scenario, and indeed, does so now. The whole place is a compromise.
    I have no qualms with a compromise. The backstop isn't a compromise it is abject surrender.
    Sigh. No it really isn't. What will be surrender is ending up staying in the EU because the headbangers were unwilling to compromise on anything but the purists of Brexits.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    It's a MEANINGLESS vote?
  • Options
    Isabel Oakeshott is a surprisingly good real-time commentator when she's not pushing a political agenda.
  • Options
    There's no point this being a close loss for the deal. This decision needs to either be a case of 'end this, we approve the deal' or 'end this farce, the deal is dead'.

Looks like it will be a latter.
  • Options

There was one at the big vote last month as well. That got the MP concerned suspended as it is strictly against House rules.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848

Stephen Barclay cannot pronounce the letter “r”.

Neither can I.

It amuses me that the term for this condition is rhotacism. Hence a condition the afflicted cannot pronounce. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotacism_(speech_impediment)
    Apparently the fear of palindromes is aibohphobia which is itself a palindrome.
    LOL.
  • Options
    Eurosceptic Retard Group?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If Fabricant hit the walls of Dover Castle with his head, I'm willing to bet it would be the walls that would shatter.
    I think that should be thoroughly tested.
  • Options

Unfair to retards, Doc, please withdraw.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

Sandpit said:

Nope, they'll be in trouble with the Speaker for that photo.
    Several MPs published photos from the lobbies during the last meaningful vote.
    Another one (Boris top left).

https://twitter.com/PaulJSweeney/status/1105547206768107522
  • Options
    20 minutes and counting for the division. Usually only 13 or 14.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

20 minutes and counting for the division. Usually only 13 or 14.

As near as bugger it three years and counting of division, actually.
  • Options

Sigh. No it really isn't. What will be surrender is ending up staying in the EU because the headbangers were unwilling to compromise on anything but the purists of Brexits.
    The deal without a backstop still wouldn't have been the purist of the Brexits. There were a number of other objections to the deal such as committing to spending billions without any trade agreement sorted first. However Brexiteers were willing to compromise on all their other objections so long as just one objection was resolved. The EU refused to compromise on anything.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Nothing has changed
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ouch
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Sporting Index was nearly bang on.
  • Options
    242. Ker-ching!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    dr_spyn said:
    Everyone too busy taking pics and posting them to their Twitter to actually vote? :D
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2019
    Well that was easy money. I guess we'll need it, though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Ayes 242 Noes 391
  • Options
    PM has lost her voice!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    149 majority against.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

391 to 242

Wonderful news.
  • Options
    Free vote. In office but not in power.
  • Options
    oh hello
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Utter morons.
  • Options
    This is completely delusional.
  • Options
    So the gap narrows but the Deal fails, now the all out Remainer assault on Brexit itself will begin. First by ensuring Article 50 is extended, then by pushing Remain v Deal referendum or Norway Plus BINO, so the Deal is not dead yet
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Unfair to retards, Doc, please withdraw.
    Um, OK. How about Eurosceptic Reprobate Group?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

So the gap narrows but the Deal fails, now the all out Remainer assault on Brexit itself will begin. First by ensuring Article 50 is extended, then by pushing Remain v Deal referendum or Norway Plus BINO, so the Deal is not dead yet

In other news...has Marine Le Pen lost yet?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    HYUFD said:

Yes I think this is right. ERG not taking yes for an answer.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yes completely. Putting forth a rejected deal without changes was completely delusional.
  • Options
    May in full Headteacher mode now.
  • Options

The backstop is without parallel a huge and unprecedented violation in sovereignty - can trol?

The deal without a backstop still wouldn't have been the purist of the Brexits. There were a number of other objections to the deal such as committing to spending billions without any trade agreement sorted first. However Brexiteers were willing to compromise on all their other objections so long as just one objection was resolved. The EU refused to compromise on anything.
    Sorry but bricking up the English Channel would not have been enough for some in the ERG, if they tend up with the revocation of Article 50 and no Brexit at all it will be no more than they deserve
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Did May say which way she will vote tomorrow?

I think she implied she will vote against leaving without a deal.
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    As that's about 80 less than last time, does that count a a win in May's world?
    Theresa is Sally in the Hotels.com ad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ5e5uOgpK4
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    MikeL said:

I hope she does and savours every minute, tomorrow she gets her revenge on the ERG and on tonight's numbers the Commons will likely reject No Deal by more than it rejected her Deal
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    A free vote on the Tory side means 'no deal' is going to get rejected by some humongous margin. The key thing then will be the amendments on the extension, which I expect will include various possible durations, but the EU are now in control of the process.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Utter morons.

A rare point of agreement SO.
  • Options
    No one wants a sodding GE, Jez, wind your neck in.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited March 2019

As the husband of a headteacher I demand you withdraw that slur.

If May were a headteacher, her school would be in special measures and would be forcibly taken over by an academy chain. You know, a large organisation that groups together several individual institutions within one overarching management, on occasion criticised for being remote and unresponsive, but it does at least bail out the institutions and stop them going embarrassingly tits-up.

Nope, the parallels escape me.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

The no deal motion has been drafted in a way to make it look like parliament is voting to leave with a deal.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

'This is going to hurt me more than it'll hurt you.'
  • Options
    It is hard to underestimate how much May has screwed this up.
  • Options

No one wants a sodding GE, Jez, wind your neck in.

Evening, Brenda!
  • Options

A free vote on the Tory side means 'no deal' is going to get rejected by some humongous margin. The key thing then will be the amendments on the extension, which I expect will include various possible durations, but the EU are now in control of the process.

They always have been.
  • Options
    I am genuinely stunned. The ERG are morons. Utter morons.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes completely. Putting forth a rejected deal without changes was completely delusional.
    I think we just have to give up and accept that we are not leaving. This displacement activity is tiresome.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sorry but bricking up the English Channel would not have been enough for some in the ERG, if they tend up with the revocation of Article 50 and no Brexit at all it will be no more than they deserve
    Sorry but that's ludicrous hyperbole. There was a vote on backing the deal if the backstop was dealt with and there were only 8 Tory headbanger MPs who opposed that. They were:

Heidi Allen, Guto Bebb, Ken Clarke, Dominic Grieve, Phillip Lee, Anne Marie Morris, Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston

Absolutely all of those are extremists but the only extremist on that list from the ERG is I believe Anne Marie Morris.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Meh!
  • Options

At least some saw sense...
  • Options

Why stunned?
  • Options

Okaaaay...
  • Options

This is news to you?
  • Options

The EU have been in control of the process since May took over.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

C**** is a much, much more satisfying word for them, SO. Trust me.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sorry but that's ludicrous hyperbole. There was a vote on backing the deal if the backstop was dealt with and there were only 8 Tory headbanger MPs who opposed that. They were:

Heidi Allen, Guto Bebb, Ken Clarke, Dominic Grieve, Phillip Lee, Anne Marie Morris, Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston

Absolutely all of those are extremists but the only extremist on that list from the ERG is I believe Anne Marie Morris.
    There is no deal without the backstop and so voting for it is utterly pointless. When will you realise that?
  • Options

So 'No Deal' gets voted down tomorrow. How long can May claim to have the confidence of the House?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Do you mean 'overstate' rather than 'underestimate?'
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

HYUFD said:
    The man who told us the EU would fold has folded.

These two posts pretty much sum up PB remainers.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286

MikeL said:

The no deal motion has been drafted in a way to make it look like parliament is voting to leave with a deal.
    Indeed - and presumably TMay is voting Aye as she is tabling the motion.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think we just have to give up and accept that we are not leaving. This displacement activity is tiresome.
    What do you think that does to the tory party?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

The backstop is without parallel a huge and unprecedented violation in sovereignty - can trol?

]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MNZALcCzSg

• Options

Confirmed for all to see.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Do you mean 'overstate' rather than 'underestimate?'
    Misunderestimate.
  • Options
    Yvette has a brass neck.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Okaaaay...
    Check the Brady amendment vote.

Rebels had many objections to the Deal but every Tory except 7 Remainers and Anne Marie Morris voted that they were prepared to compromise on all those objections so long as there was a solution to the backstop.

What have the EU compromised on since January?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is news to you?

I guess not. But I genuinely did not believe they’d do this. I thought that somewhere in them was a sense of duty, of realism, of patriotism. My bad, I accept that.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    now all we need is for the LDs/TIG to vote against an extension, on the basis it still doesn't get them a PV
  • Options
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Depends, if it happens because the government falls probably not much.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Okaaaay...

Rebels had many objections to the Deal but every Tory except 7 Remainers and Anne Marie Morris voted that they were prepared to compromise on all those objections so long as there was a solution to the backstop.

It was your comments on Richard I was bemused by!
  • Options
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Who cares? They are finished and completely unfit to govern.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Okaaaay...

Nothing. Why should they?
  • Options
    Brexit is over as remainers takeover
  • Options
    Interesting line from the PM:

Voting for an extension does not solve the problems the government faces. The EU will want to know if the UK wants to revoke article 50 or if it wants a referendum. Those are choices the house must now face.

Is that a hint that the government will offer the House those two options? She's right on the substantive point, of course.
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352
    Jezza is a disgrace. Useless is too kind
  • Options
    May mentioned a referendum just now. Corbyn did not.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

ydoethur said:

Okaaaay...

Nothing. Why should they?
    If they wanted a deal they could compromise.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

They are unfit - and then I look at Labour

We are so fucked - well done Cameron
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    So how many Cabinet ministers on each side of the no deal vote?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The priceless irony of Corbyn's election in 2015 was that it came about because Labour members were convinced they couldn't win and so fancied ideological purity for a bit.

If they had compromised and gone for centrism, they'd be back in power by now. As it is we have a useless government and a useless and vile opposition.
This discussion has been closed.