Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Osborne’s Standard has surely got this right – TMay is in offi

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Floater said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

In other news, this is just TERRIBLE for Boeing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/new-software-in-boeing-737-max-planes-under-scrutinty-after-second-crash/2019/03/13/06716fda-45c7-11e9-90f0-0ccfeec87a61_story.html

They are going to get sued for billions. This is worse than dieselgate. Many people have died.

Boeing made a complete fool of themselves by allowing Trump to make the announcement to ground the plane before they did. The same goes for the Federal Aviation Authority.
    I think there are bigger things to worry about than whether you were made to look foolish.
    I agree, but that's why Boeing didn't make the announcement earlier IMO.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Scott_P said:
    Another election would be good... But not until May's deal has passed and May herself has departed.

Then with a new leader we need to have a proper blood letting through a general election before (hopefully) coming together before embarking on the trade deal (because that's when things get really hard)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

_Anazina_ said:

Sandpit said:

O/T (except as an illustration of the quality of stock roaming the corridors of power).

A novel approach to tackling knife-crime; stick with the comments for the entertainment..

https://twitter.com/scottmann4NC/status/1106128906480951296

How many chefs does he think are making their way home from work every night in London, carrying a bag full of knives? Answer to the nearest thousand.
    Why don’t they just leave their knives in the kitchen?
    Chefs get very precious about their knives. If its not their kitchen there would be plenty who wouldn't leave their knives there.
    I mean can you imagine for a moment what 5-10 GPS tracked devices in EVERY HOME IN THE COUNTRY would say about the state of the nation?
    Shockingly, it would tell us how many homes don't prepare fresh food....
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1106202908805210112

So again it comes back down to the DUP.

The question then: how many Tory holdouts? 5 remainers, 15 ultra-ERGers? That would mean May needed 15 Labour Ayes.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    TGOHF said:

If 5% of the population are hit with £60 per day for keeping their kids out of school then the deficit will be eliminated quite quickly.

Makes you laugh when I was fined for my autistic son being off sick too often.

We now have to take him to the doctors if he is sick - the doctors complain and all we can do is give them the contact details of the school.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    SeanT said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/new-software-in-boeing-737-max-planes-under-scrutinty-after-second-crash/2019/03/13/06716fda-45c7-11e9-90f0-0ccfeec87a61_story.html

They are going to get sued for billions. This is worse than dieselgate. Many people have died.

Plenty of people have died because of dieselgate.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Andrew said:

The question then: how many Tory holdouts? 5 remainers, 15 ultra-ERGers? That would mean May needed 15 Labour Ayes.

MV 3,4 passes if May stands down soon afterwards.

May cannot lead the Uk in the next phase - she is simply not up to it.

Sooner Gove or Hunt work this out the better.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Floater said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I have a lot of sympathy for that view but my objection to a second referendum isn't necessarily one of democracy; my view is that it is never undemocratic to ask the people what they think - how can it be? My objection is that it invites an admin and procedural nightmare - it is more a reductio ad absurdam problem. At what point do you decide that you will ask again?

Maybe a FTRA.

I think the lesson from our recent referendums is that they should be linked to concrete legislative proposals, not vague attempts to determine the will of the people. A second referendum between ratifying the withdrawal agreement and revoking Article 50 would be a one-off question and wouldn't hang over future political decisions or turn legitimate political opposition into treachery.
    I have long thought that any referendum could only be Deal vs Remain.
    Nope deal vs no deal would be honest and respect the referendum result - you know the peoples vote.

The deal is leaving the EU. To prove this would require parliament to approve it and then you and I could reconvene on March 30th (or after whatever technical extension to A50) to see whether we were still in the EU or not.

They would be answering the following question, asked in the Peoples' vote: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

This is infinitely depressing. We have lost. We have no backbone. The Enlightenment is over. Now comes the Darkening.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1106196762690314240?s=21

Imagine the furore and outrage if another school had caved into pressure from protesters and stopped teaching classes on Islam...
    An utter disgrace.
    It is
    If I were 25 years old, I would emigrate tomorrow. Britain is finished. Europe is finished. Stagnation and religious strife await.

I’d go to America. Where English freedoms and the Enlightenment are still, thank god, protected by that Constitution. And I’d buy lots of guns.

Or I’d go to Asia. The future.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    With regards to Boeing 737 Max I am kind of exceedingly very surprised that Boeing was allowed to get away with both the claims:

"It's a whole new airplane"
    and
    "737 pilots don't need to re-certify"

That should have been awooga alarms all over the place
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Time to tell the DUP No Deal means an Irish unity referendum.

Oh and Westminster will pass legislation to make same sex marriage legal in Northern Ireland.

‘Cause the DUP hate any difference between NI and GB.
  • Options
    Floater said:

TGOHF said:

If 5% of the population are hit with £60 per day for keeping their kids out of school then the deficit will be eliminated quite quickly.

Makes you laugh when I was fined for my autistic son being off sick too often.

We now have to take him to the doctors if he is sick - the doctors complain and all we can do is give them the contact details of the school.

Tell the school hes is a muslim who is allergic to infidel teachings to avoid further fines.

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

_Anazina_ said:

Sandpit said:

O/T (except as an illustration of the quality of stock roaming the corridors of power).

A novel approach to tackling knife-crime; stick with the comments for the entertainment..

https://twitter.com/scottmann4NC/status/1106128906480951296

How many chefs does he think are making their way home from work every night in London, carrying a bag full of knives? Answer to the nearest thousand.
    Why don’t they just leave their knives in the kitchen?
    Chefs get very precious about their knives. If its not their kitchen there would be plenty who wouldn't leave their knives there.
    I mean can you imagine for a moment what 5-10 GPS tracked devices in EVERY HOME IN THE COUNTRY would say about the state of the nation?
    The police aren't going to chase round after several thousand knives 'on the move' or camping will become somewhat problematic. That's if nobody is smart enough to work out how to remove a gps chip or use one ov the several million pre GPS chip knives. Otherwise genius
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited March 2019

kingbongo said:

no she isn't - she just sarcastically thanked the speaker for selecting it - I was misled by a tweet I saw, should have known better!

There's a subtle point here which people who haven't been in Parliament may not realise. The Speaker could have selected the motion calling for a referendum, or the motion opposing a second referendum (it'd obviously have been a waste of time to call both).By choosing the former, he gives Wollaston the chance not to move it, and thus keep the issue alive. If he'd selected the other motion, they would have insisted on moving it and it would have been defeated. It could then not be reintroduced.

Whether this was his intention, or he merely felt it made sense to choose the positive one, we'll never know, but People's Vote people may be quietly grateful to him - assuming Wollaston doesn't press it to a vote, and I assume she won't.

The position was different with the amendment where Cooper forced a vote against the wishes of the prime mover. That worked (and always works - it doesn't need the Speaker's approval) because Cooper had co-signed it. Wollaston could have suffered the same fate if a Brexiteer had been fast enough to co-sign it before the debate started, but I don't think they did.

Of course it was his intention. The fact the Speaker is biased to remain just makes the behaviour of Brexiteers even more inexplicable.

They have got 500+ MPs supporting Remain. They have got a majority of the Cabinet supporting Remain. The civil service supports Remain. Even the (supposedly impartial) referee supports Remain - And Theresa gives them the opportunity to Leave with about 80% of what they've always wanted (plus a chance to deal with the other 20% in the future if/when conditions are more favourable to them) and they vote it down.

Cretins!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Thing is airline crashes are high profile - a death here and there doesn't draw attention the way that a catastrophe does.

Boeing will also be facing some hefty claims for loss of use I would imagine - Norwegian have already publicly stated their intent to recoup from Boeing.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

It comes down to dumb and cowardly Leavers always looking for someone else to blame.
  • Options
    We got into this mess because it was obvious we were afraid to keep No deal on the table. (Properly on the table - using the last 3 years to visibly prepare our ports, infrastructure, tax system, really good practical advice for businesses). A certain amount has been done - should have been more ambitious.
    Britain is capable of so much more than this. The country voted to leave. We don't need months or years of asking the EU or Ireland what we can or can't do.
    I appreciate the PM's efforts and attention to detail.
    Anyway, the law currently says we leave the EU on 29th March.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

This is infinitely depressing. We have lost. We have no backbone. The Enlightenment is over. Now comes the Darkening.

Imagine the furore and outrage if another school had caved into pressure from protesters and stopped teaching classes on Islam...
    An utter disgrace.
    It is
    If I were 25 years old, I would emigrate tomorrow. Britain is finished. Europe is finished. Stagnation and religious strife await.

I’d go to America. Where English freedoms and the Enlightenment are still, thank god, protected by that Constitution. And I’d buy lots of guns.

You might want to look more closely at American news before making that decision.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Oh, for sure. But you can’t point at a corpse and say Volkswagen did that! If you could, I think VW might now be insolvent. They are “lucky”.

Unluckily for Boeing, you CAN point at a corpse, in Ethiopia, and credibly say “Boeing did that”.

Intense reputational damage at the very least. What were they thinking??
  • Options

We got into this mess because it was obvious we were afraid to keep No deal on the table. (Properly on the table - using the last 3 years to visibly prepare our ports, infrastructure, tax system, really good practical advice for businesses). A certain amount has been done - should have been more ambitious.
    Britain is capable of so much more than this. The country voted to leave. We don't need months or years of asking the EU or Ireland what we can or can't do.

Welcome.

You are absolutely right. We don't need to ask the EU or Ireland what we can or can't do.

That said, our society has, over the past several decades, developed with various dependencies and relationships. The government has to date been unwilling to trash those in the name of leaving especially when Theresa May's deal is leaving and fulfils the terms of the 2016 referendum.

Thank goodness.
  • Options

We got into this mess because it was obvious we were afraid to keep No deal on the table. (Properly on the table - using the last 3 years to visibly prepare our ports, infrastructure, tax system, really good practical advice for businesses). .

Correct - and that is the fault of PM May - not the ERG.

Remain would prefer to put the blame on the ERG though - as it's a useful cover for overturning the referendum.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

What would your No Deal preparations for Northern Ireland have looked like?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    I wish we had politicians as good as the SNP in England.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

You might want to look more closely at American news before making that decision.

Or try eating some of their 'cheese'.
  • Options
    https://dominiccummings.com/

"The Conservative Party now has almost no intellectual connection to crucial debates about the ecosystem of science, productivity, universities, funding, startups and so on. I know from personal experience that even billionaire entrepreneurs whose donations are vital to the survival of CCHQ cannot get people like Hammond to listen to anything about all this — Hammond’s focus is obeying his orders from Goldman Sachs.

Downing Street is much more interested in protecting corporate looting by large banks and companies and protecting rent-seekers than they are in productivity and entrepreneurs. "
  • Options
    Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

I follow American news closely. They too have culture wars, and they too have a weird class of people using identity politics to deconstruct their own hardwon freedoms. BUT they have that Constituion. A vital bulwark against the madness. Plus they have a more vibrant economy. Especially in California, where I’d go. Maybe Santa Barbara.
  • Options
    If Cam had done a no deal vs stay in referendum and no deal won we'd be two years into the new world order by now. Or in the EU for the long haul. Not in this mess
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

"The Conservative Party now has almost no intellectual connection to crucial debates about the ecosystem of science, productivity, universities, funding, startups and so on. I know from personal experience that even billionaire entrepreneurs whose donations are vital to the survival of CCHQ cannot get people like Hammond to listen to anything about all this — Hammond’s focus is obeying his orders from Goldman Sachs.

Downing Street is much more interested in protecting corporate looting by large banks and companies and protecting rent-seekers than they are in productivity and entrepreneurs. "

'orders from Goldman Sachs' - what a loon.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

Andrew said:

Time to tell the DUP No Deal means an Irish unity referendum.

Oh and Westminster will pass legislation to make same sex marriage legal in Northern Ireland.

‘Cause the DUP hate any difference between NI and GB.
    This is like what I said a couple of months ago. Except I wold tell the DUP there will be an Irish Unity Referendum if Brexit falls. If they want to hold the UK to ransom then they can expect to be treated no differently.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

I follow American news closely. They too have culture wars, and they too have a weird class of people using identity politics to deconstruct their own hardwon freedoms. BUT they have that Constituion. A vital bulwark against the madness. Plus they have a more vibrant economy. Especially in California, where I’d go. Maybe Santa Barbara.
    California is broke, will be a terrible place to be by mid 2020s

Edit - that's for the average John doe. If you've got $$$ you'll make anywhere work
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    TGOHF said:

We got into this mess because it was obvious we were afraid to keep No deal on the table. (Properly on the table - using the last 3 years to visibly prepare our ports, infrastructure, tax system, really good practical advice for businesses). .

Correct - and that is the fault of PM May - not the ERG.

Remain would prefer to put the blame on the ERG though - as it's a useful cover for overturning the referendum.
    If the ERG keep voting against Brexit it’s hardly a stretch, is it?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

I have a lot of sympathy for that view but my objection to a second referendum isn't necessarily one of democracy; my view is that it is never undemocratic to ask the people what they think - how can it be? My objection is that it invites an admin and procedural nightmare - it is more a reductio ad absurdam problem. At what point do you decide that you will ask again?

Maybe a FTRA.

I think the lesson from our recent referendums is that they should be linked to concrete legislative proposals, not vague attempts to determine the will of the people. A second referendum between ratifying the withdrawal agreement and revoking Article 50 would be a one-off question and wouldn't hang over future political decisions or turn legitimate political opposition into treachery.
    A better lesson is no referendums.

So you would keep the Scots in the Union permanently against their will? Or should a majority vote in the Scottish Parliament be enough to result in Independence?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Hi Joe, welcome to the site :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

They also have the most bonkers penal system I think I know. Beware that lackadaisical attitude with a half ounce of weed in your pocket as you get nicked and then are offered a plea and choice between 10yrs in jail or trial and a possible 150 years.
  • Options

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

In posh parts of California you can get every variety of European cheese plus their own new artisanal stuff, which is nice. Also Californian wines (not quite as good as Aussie, but v pleasant). Plus all those deserts and mountains. The sweet summer sweat. Warm smell of calyptus.

Fuck it, I’m going.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

kingbongo said:

no she isn't - she just sarcastically thanked the speaker for selecting it - I was misled by a tweet I saw, should have known better!

There's a subtle point here which people who haven't been in Parliament may not realise. The Speaker could have selected the motion calling for a referendum, or the motion opposing a second referendum (it'd obviously have been a waste of time to call both).By choosing the former, he gives Wollaston the chance not to move it, and thus keep the issue alive. If he'd selected the other motion, they would have insisted on moving it and it would have been defeated. It could then not be reintroduced.

Whether this was his intention, or he merely felt it made sense to choose the positive one, we'll never know, but People's Vote people may be quietly grateful to him - assuming Wollaston doesn't press it to a vote, and I assume she won't.

The position was different with the amendment where Cooper forced a vote against the wishes of the prime mover. That worked (and always works - it doesn't need the Speaker's approval) because Cooper had co-signed it. Wollaston could have suffered the same fate if a Brexiteer had been fast enough to co-sign it before the debate started, but I don't think they did.

The SNP/Plaid/Lib Dems can move Wollaston's amendment if she doesn't seek to, as they are co-signatories. Patrick McLoughlin also made a point of order suggesting that anyone should be able to press it, as the motion was now the property of the House. Bercow demurred on that.

I would have thought the TIG will press it anyway as the point is to put Labour under pressure.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Oh, for sure. But you can’t point at a corpse and say Volkswagen did that! If you could, I think VW might now be insolvent. They are “lucky”.

Unluckily for Boeing, you CAN point at a corpse, in Ethiopia, and credibly say “Boeing did that”.

Intense reputational damage at the very least. What were they thinking??
    The other side of the coin is: they will be insured up to the hilt so the financial pain is shared. They are part of a duopoly in a market with the bar for entry set unbelievably high. White Star Line continued in business post -Titanic till it merged with Cunard in 1950. And indeed look at VW itself - we are still queuing up to buy cars from a company founded by Hitler which never found it necessary even to change its name to conceal its hideous origins.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2019
    TOPPING said:

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Maybe a FTRA.

I have long thought that any referendum could only be Deal vs Remain.
    Nope deal vs no deal would be honest and respect the referendum result - you know the peoples vote.

The deal is leaving the EU. To prove this would require parliament to approve it and then you and I could reconvene on March 30th (or after whatever technical extension to A50) to see whether we were still in the EU or not.

They would be answering the following question, asked in the Peoples' vote: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?
    That question was asked in 2016.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

They also have the most bonkers penal system I think I know. Beware that lackadaisical attitude with a half ounce of weed in your pocket as you get nicked and then are offered a plea and choice between 10yrs in jail or trial and a possible 150 years.
    You haven’t noticed that most of America has legalised weed, then?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

In posh parts of California you can get every variety of European cheese plus their own new artisanal stuff, which is nice. Also Californian wines (not quite as good as Aussie, but v pleasant). Plus all those deserts and mountains. The sweet summer sweat. Warm smell of calyptus.

Fuck it, I’m going.
    True, there are small pockets of the US where one can get decent stuff. Dreadful bureaucracy though - much worse than here.

Edit: You are wrong about Californian wines, they are better than Australian in many cases, and certainly at the top level. Not cheap though.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Most is stretching it a bit ;)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Chope saying he might support Labour in a VONC
  • Options
    Also breaking: his keyboard. I'm imagining how furiously that tweet was typed.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

kingbongo said:

Surely defeating an amendment ruling out a second referendum doesn't block Wollaston et al from introducing an amendment calling for one? Quite the reverse, I would've thought.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chope saying he might support Labour in a VONC

Excellent, get the upskirt enabling tosser out of the Tory party
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Not really, only 10/50 states plus DC.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Cutting edge insight from the leader of the free world...
  • Options

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Fuck it, I’m going.
    True, there are small pockets of the US where one can get decent stuff. Dreadful bureaucracy though - much worse than here.
    Indeed. I have encountered the US tax system. I am still recovering.

It is amazing how vivacious their economy is - creating giants like apple, and amazon, and google - when the bureaucracy seems designed to frustrate it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    RobD said:

Also breaking: his keyboard. I'm imagining how furiously that tweet was typed.
    I wonder if a second referendum might be slightly helpful to Trump.
  • Options

Easy question. Treat it like a border between nations is treated anywhere else in the globe.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Most is stretching it a bit ;)
    California, Colorado and Canada will do me. Not that I smoke anyway. I take my cannabis in a brandy tincture. I get it from a very nice man in Totnes. It is lovely at the end of an evening. Very soothing.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Chope says he would seriously consider voting with Labour to no confidence the government.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Chope says he would seriously consider voting with Labour to no confidence the government.

C***s will be c****s
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

I used it as an example. Please substitute your poison of choice.

Perhaps a 2017 Chateauneuf from M&S which of course would constitute infanticide if you drank it.
  • Options

Deselection time? :D
  • Options

If they allow upskirting and FGM presumably
  • Options

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Fuck it, I’m going.

Edit: You are wrong about Californian wines, they are better than Australian in many cases, and certainly at the top level. Not cheap though.
    My theory is that the problem with the US is that the two major ethnic groups at independence were the British and the Germans. America could have got a government and bureaucracy that combined British flexibility with German efficiency, but sadly it got the opposite.
  • Options

My mind immediately sprang to Meaningful vote 3
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

Well, he knows Putin better than the rest of us, so he probably has the inside take on this.
  • Options
    Corbyn - I'm not supporting a 2nd ref amendment and that upskirting freak is on my no confidence team
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

California is generally badly run. Its schools are on a par with those of Mississippi, it has almost the highest State taxes in the USA, its infrastructure is falling apart, it's overregulated, and over-unionised.

It's great if you've got enough money to ignore these failings.
  • Options

Easy question. Treat it like a border between nations is treated anywhere else in the globe.
    ha haha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha

Oh. You weren't being serious were you?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Fuck it, I’m going.

It is amazing how vivacious their economy is - creating giants like apple, and amazon, and google - when the bureaucracy seems designed to frustrate it.
    Much of their economy is rather inefficient. The failure to regulate properly means that many of their industries are much more concentrated than ours - look at airlines or mobile phones for starters. This gives very bad outcomes for consumers. The average quality of food (if not quantity) is much worse than here. It’s also a country where you can be bankrupted by medical bills for fairly common diseases, and you get 2 weeks’ holiday. It’s not a great place to live, unless you’re in the top 10%.

Besides, while Europe has the challenge of Islamism, the USA will never escape its racial mania. The Democrats are talking about reparations for slave descendants:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-03-14/one-way-to-make-reparations-work

This is only going to get worse.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    The People's Vote could hardly ask for a better recruiting sergeant.
  • Options

He'd be no loss to the Conservatives.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Fuck it, I’m going.

Sadly you’ll probably find your past history as a drug addict will prevent that.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Fuck it, I’m going.

Much of their economy is rather inefficient. The failure to regulate properly means that many of their industries are much more concentrated than ours - look at airlines or mobile phones for starters. This gives very bad outcomes for consumers. The average quality of food (if not quantity) is much worse than here. It’s also a country where you can be bankrupted by medical bills for fairly common diseases, and you get 2 weeks’ holiday. It’s not a great place to live, unless you’re in the top 10%.

Besides, while Europe has the challenge of Islamism, the USA will never escape its racial mania. The Democrats are talking about reparations for slave descendants:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-03-14/one-way-to-make-reparations-work

This is only going to get worse.
    Plus they've got AOC the wide eyed frog talking utter shite every day and being lauded like some genius. Spoiler- shes thick as mince
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Life is curious isn't it? Throughout the Referendum campaign Leave said we had to restore the power and sovereignty of Parliament.. Now they are doing just that they hate it.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Woolie,

No matter how the referendum had been worded we'd be stuck here because most MPs don't like the thought of leaving. There's enough who believe they should be in charge to ensure the electorate's wishes are secondary.

They are trying to blame others for obvious reasons. I excuse the LDs - they are honest in their dislike of pandering to the voters' wishes. Labour and the SNPs want to look important and not allow Tories to monopolise the centre stage.

It's childish and a no party comes out looking good. A few realise they look like a bunch of Violet-Elizabeths having a strop, but there's too few to make a difference.

Here's a thought. Even today, politics, the law, and the media are dominated by the products of private education. Perhaps Crossland should have gone after that instead of the grammar schools?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    I am just enjoying the idea of SeanT navigating California's sexual, racial and cultural politics. It would make a superb fly on the wall documentary.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Life is curious isn't it? Throughout the Referendum campaign Leave said we had to restore the power and sovereignty of Parliament.. Now they are doing just that they hate it.

Parliament will take back control of a potential second referendum this evening.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

No, they are choosing to reject those powers and leave them with the EU. That is not what the people voted for.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Fenman, can't speak for others, but I wanted the UK to govern itself.

The divide between the political class and the electorate has only been emphasised by proceedings since. It would be fascinating if we could see the counter-factuals (remaining, and leaving but with a competent PM doing the negotiating).
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    Trump has just now on air threatened a trade war with Europe.
  • Options

Yeh, Donny, too much democracy is a bitch, ain't it?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

The EU integration bandwagon has more or less stopped.There is almost zero willingness for it amongst member states. This is the other side of the coin from "The EU is incapable of change" criticism that comes from largely the same people. I think the second criticism has more validity, incidentally.

What the bleeding fuck are you talking about? Integration is accelerating. What’s more, since Lisbon they don’t need Treaty change to do it. They want an EU army, EU wide migration laws, harmonised taxes, harmonised minimum wages, one EU UNSC seat, they want it all. Moreover, the horrible logic of the eurozone means that they HAVE to go for much closer integration - pooling debt, etc. Because if they don’t the eurozone will fly apart in the next crisis.

Perhaps you missed Macron’s speech on all this. Understandable I suppose. He is just the president of France.

https://www.politico.eu/article/emmanuel-macron-european-parliament-election-calls-for-big-eu-changes-in-european-renaissance/

Sure, he won’t get everything he wants at once. But the direction of travel is obvious. Only a lying cretin, or a British Europhile (i.e. the same thing) would pretend otherwise.
    There has been little actual additional integration in the ten years since Lisbon. And Lisbon was mainly a - very painful - tidying up exercise. The big integration took place in the years from the Delors presidency in 1984 until Maastricht in 1992 covering the Single European Act, Schengen, the Single Market and the single currency
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Woolie,

No matter how the referendum had been worded we'd be stuck here because most MPs don't like the thought of leaving. There's enough who believe they should be in charge to ensure the electorate's wishes are secondary.

They are trying to blame others for obvious reasons. I excuse the LDs - they are honest in their dislike of pandering to the voters' wishes. Labour and the SNPs want to look important and not allow Tories to monopolise the centre stage.

It's childish and a no party comes out looking good. A few realise they look like a bunch of Violet-Elizabeths having a strop, but there's too few to make a difference.

Here's a thought. Even today, politics, the law, and the media are dominated by the products of private education. Perhaps Crossland should have gone after that instead of the grammar schools?

As a product of the private school system I can say 100% it should be torn down and grammars restored alongside technical colleges and secondary moderns
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited March 2019

TGOHF said:

Jews run HMG, it appears.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    notme2 said:

Lol, he loves a good trade war.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

California is generally badly run. Its schools are on a par with those of Mississippi, it has almost the highest State taxes in the USA, its infrastructure is falling apart, it's overregulated, and over-unionised.

It's great if you've got enough money to ignore these failings.
    That’s true about all of the US: it’s a great place to live if you have money.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I thought Hammond took orders from the Elders of Zion, or are they one and the same?
  • Options

Fenman said:

No, they are choosing to reject those powers and leave them with the EU. That is not what the people voted for.
    And you have ascertained what 'the people' voted for? How exactly? 40 years of campaigning has taught me nothing of the sort!
  • Options

notme2 said:

Comments on BBC News now - he is utterly deranged.
  • Options

It's funny how things turn out.

If you'd asked me six months ago, I would have said that reaching agreement with the EU would prove far harder than getting an agreement through Parliament. It turns out that the reverse was true.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    edited March 2019
    tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Nobody had died because of dieselgate. I’m sure you’ll find some grant seeking body claiming a hundred gazillion people died from air pollution. In most circumstances utter nonsense. What might have happened is that some people might have died a few days earlier than they would have.

Back to dieselgate. The particulate output between those passing the test and those with fake test would have zero accumulative impact on human health. What might have had an impact was the general policy to move away from petrol vehicles to diesel ones under the idea that diesel emits less carbon.

That would have had an impact in heavy urban areas and resulted in some people dying a few days earlier than they would have.

The difference with Boeing is clear. People were killed who would not have been because of a potential corporate failure. If they hadn’t got that plane they would be alive today.
  • Options

notme2 said:

And yet he'll get the tariffs changed he wants changed and everyone will wibble about how mad he is and the US economy will continue to grow and he'll win in 2020. He's not the man the media or trendy opinion portrays
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Afternoon all :)

Extraordinary to hear Conservative MPs publicly threatening to vote against their own Government in a VoNC. That suggests internal party order has now collapsed and perhaps the first head on the block should be that of Brandon Lewis. I watched some hapless Government spokesman from the Lords wheeled out to be the cannon fodder to Ken Clarke who naturally treated his argument as though it was something into which his shoe had inadvertently gone.

As for SeanT claiming the end of civilisation has come - maybe but nowhere is perfect. Everywhere has its flaws - all the Tories on here seem to hate California with a healthy passion. I love San Diego and Rancho Mirage but could I live there? No. Mrs Stodge tells me New Zealand is still a decent place - maybe but you won't find Utopia on a map - you might be bale to make a local Utopia for yourself somewhere but that's all.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883
    "Meanwhile business is totally unable to make plans because it does not know what will happen. What has been widely underestimated is the extent that so much of commercial and industrial activity is integrated into Europe already."

Many many economists have been saying this for 3 years, but too many eople didn't want to listen.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

TGOHF said:

It is unsettling to know that these are the thoughts of Brexit's Svengali.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Stodge, in Lewis' defence, any chairman would struggle with this situation and May's leadership, or lack thereof.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    eristdoof said:

"Meanwhile business is totally unable to make plans because it does not know what will happen. What has been widely underestimated is the extent that so much of commercial and industrial activity is integrated into Europe already."

Many many economists have been saying this for 3 years, but too many eople didn't want to listen.

Many many economists? Small children in Hartlepool Primrose Hill.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    stodge said:

Extraordinary to hear Conservative MPs publicly threatening to vote against their own Government in a VoNC. That suggests internal party order has now collapsed and perhaps the first head on the block should be that of Brandon Lewis. I watched some hapless Government spokesman from the Lords wheeled out to be the cannon fodder to Ken Clarke who naturally treated his argument as though it was something into which his shoe had inadvertently gone.

As for SeanT claiming the end of civilisation has come - maybe but nowhere is perfect. Everywhere has its flaws - all the Tories on here seem to hate California with a healthy passion. I love San Diego and Rancho Mirage but could I live there? No. Mrs Stodge tells me New Zealand is still a decent place - maybe but you won't find Utopia on a map - you might be bale to make a local Utopia for yourself somewhere but that's all.

Ystrad Mynach, South Wales Valleys = Utopia

:)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    In more pressing matters:

Motion S5M-16258: John Finnie, Highlands and Islands, Scottish Green Party, Date Lodged: 11/03/2019
    Earl of Forfar
    That the Parliament notes the announcement of the re-creation of the title, Earl of Forfar; understands that the Earldom had been extinct since 1715, and believes that Forfar has suffered no ill-effects as a result of not having an Earl for 304 years.
    Supported by: Mark Ruskell, Bill Kidd, Sandra White, John Mason, Rona Mackay, Ross Greer, Andy Wightman, Patrick Harvie

https://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/28877.aspx?SearchType=Advance&ReferenceNumbers=S5M-16258&ResultsPerPage=10
  • Options

notme2 said:

Are we talking Trump, Cummings or Corbyn?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Fenster said:

stodge said:

Ystrad Mynach, South Wales Valleys = Utopia

:)
    stephenpritchard.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/snaffles-hunting-prints-the-finest-view-in-europe.jpg
  • Options
    stodge said:

You can't do much with people who have gone mad.

Chope was a good council leader, but he's now gone mad.
  • Options

notme2 said:

Are we talking Trump, Cummings or Corbyn?
    Well, everybody, frankly.
This discussion has been closed.