Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bercow’s ruling adds to the Brexit uncertainty

Comments

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076

Not difficult to see how the remaining options dissipate so that we end up with no deal or No Brexit left.

May will revoke then resign. If she has to. Because when that's all that's left it's her career over and likely a Tory civil war. Throwing the country onto the bonfire does nothing to alleviate the end...

I can't see May revoking unless it can be completely blamed on others.

Revoke is likely to lead to PM Corbyn and Conservatives will think that more dangerous than No Deal.

Even if No Deal starts disastrously it might be alleviated but a PM Corbyn would be beyond their control.
    No Deal leads to PM Corbyn.
    Possibly and possibly not.

But we need to look at this through the eyes of Conservative MPs - what is more likely to lead to PM Corbyn ? I suspect most Conservatives will say No Brexit rather than No Deal.
  • Options
    Would extending the transition period (not A50) count as a changed deal?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

Not difficult to see how the remaining options dissipate so that we end up with no deal or No Brexit left.

May will revoke then resign. If she has to. Because when that's all that's left it's her career over and likely a Tory civil war. Throwing the country onto the bonfire does nothing to alleviate the end...

Revoke is likely to lead to PM Corbyn and Conservatives will think that more dangerous than No Deal.

Even if No Deal starts disastrously it might be alleviated but a PM Corbyn would be beyond their control.
    Only with SNP support and of course PM Corbyn leads to BINO
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Would extending the transition period (not A50) count as a changed deal?

How about a formal indicative votes process with the deal as merely one of the options
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    glw said:

SeanT said:

Er, what just happened?

Bercow seems to have made himself Sovereign.
    He always has been. What is discussed, amended and voted on in Parliament is under an Absolute Monarch. A basic fundamental of the Constitution.
    It seems to be a surprise to some.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,401
    edited March 2019
    So how many of the ERG would VONC their own government if Mrs May went for a longish extension?

More than a dozen, fewer than 20 is my view.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited March 2019
    Marco1 said:

Numerous Labour MPs are breaking their Manifesto promises ? Don't they think they will be punished for that by the Voters, by history as well as each morning when they look in the mirror to wonder where their dignity is ?

No Labour MP stood on a platform of supporting the Prime Minister. That was the other lot. No Labour MP will be punished because the Prime Minister cannot persuade even her own Cabinet she is right.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

I think I've finally reached Brexit burnout. I'm at a loss at how pathetic the situation has become and facing yet more of it is too much.

I am much the same. There was some pathetic whining git on the radio whilst I was driving this afternoon complaining that he had voted against May's deal twice but was now minded to back it given the lack of options but that self important buffoon Bercow was going to stop it. I mean, how pathetic can we get? This moron had voted against the deal in principle, twice, on the assumption that there would be no consequences for his actions and now he wanted to snivel about it.

It is what you try to teach 4 year olds and most of them learn. Actions have consequences. Grow up! I really can't bear to listen to these people anymore.
    The Conservative party is not fit for purpose.

Would any PB Conservative activists / members / supporters suggest how to make it fit for purpose.
    1. Remove May.
    2. Don't let Boris/Davis/Fox/Leadsom near anything important.
    3.Don't let Grayling near anything at all.
    4. ...ok, getting stuck now.
    How does that sort out the ERG nutters, the self-obsessed posturers and Grieve's mendacity gang ?

How do you get MPs who are willing to do proper preparation and show attention to detail rather than spouting crap on twatter ?

"Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite." - Joseph de Maistre

(And I wholeheartedly recommend reading Isabel Hardman's 'Why We Get the Wrong Politicians'...)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

But we need to look at this through the eyes of Conservative MPs - what is more likely to lead to PM Corbyn ? I suspect most Conservatives will say No Brexit rather than No Deal.
    Put it this way: incumbent MPs are less likely to get deselected for No Deal then No Brexit, too.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Put it this way: incumbent MPs are less likely to get deselected for No Deal then No Brexit, too.
    Indeed.

RN's comment last night about the local Conservative membership was fascinating.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

I think I've finally reached Brexit burnout. I'm at a loss at how pathetic the situation has become and facing yet more of it is too much.

I am much the same. There was some pathetic whining git on the radio whilst I was driving this afternoon complaining that he had voted against May's deal twice but was now minded to back it given the lack of options but that self important buffoon Bercow was going to stop it. I mean, how pathetic can we get? This moron had voted against the deal in principle, twice, on the assumption that there would be no consequences for his actions and now he wanted to snivel about it.

It is what you try to teach 4 year olds and most of them learn. Actions have consequences. Grow up! I really can't bear to listen to these people anymore.

Would any PB Conservative activists / members / supporters suggest how to make it fit for purpose.
    1. Remove May.
    How does that sort out the ERG nutters, the self-obsessed posturers and Grieve's mendacity gang ?

How do you get MPs who are willing to do proper preparation and show attention to detail rather than spouting crap on twatter ?

(And I wholeheartedly recommend reading Isabel Hardman's 'Why We Get the Wrong Politicians'...)
    It is a shame Isabel has had her problems because she is a naturally insightful journalist.
  • Options

So how many of the ERG would VONC their own government if Mrs May went for a longish extension?

I wonder how many of those would still expect to be Conservative candidates at the subsequent GE.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,939
    IanB2 said:

Of all the outcomes the one that leads most probably to PM Corbyn is no deal. Not least because a big chunk of the Tory sensible wing has already said it would resign the party if no deal exit happens.
    Then the Tories and the country are screwed either way because Tory support will simply evaporate if we do not Brexit

Good luck to any of those MPs trying find anyone to pound the streets for them. And we already know social media will crucify them. No Brexit means opposition for the Tories for decades.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

I think I might have written the best thriller of my career to date. THE ASSISTANT, by S K Tremayne

I mention that now because one of the reasons it is good (if it is any good) is because of Brexit. Every morning for the last year, when I've woken up and read/heard/watched the headline news, and realised it is nothing but Brexit plus Brexit with added Brexit, I have gone straight to work, just to tune out the boring chaos.

Writing has been the most welcome distraction.

It's had such an effect I was tempted to thank Brexit in the Acknowledgments.
    Well I am glad some good has come of this farce. We may have lost any last vestiges of faith in our political leaders, our theory of democracy has collapsed, the people are no longer sovereign and the rule of law has been trampled underfoot but you have got an excellent thriller out of it. Sounds like a decent trade off to me.
    In a thousand years time, I suspect schoolchildren will be learning about the thrillers of SK Tremayne and not about Brexit.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

IanB2 said:

Of all the outcomes the one that leads most probably to PM Corbyn is no deal. Not least because a big chunk of the Tory sensible wing has already said it would resign the party if no deal exit happens.
    Then the Tories and the country are screwed either way because Tory support will simply evaporate if we do not Brexit

Good luck to any of those MPs trying find anyone to pound the streets for them. And we already know social media will crucify them. No Brexit means opposition for the Tories for decades.
    Truly, every cloud has a silver lining.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Mortimer said:

Indeed.

RN's comment last night about the local Conservative membership was fascinating.
    Yes, the death cult is intensifying.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    Norm said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

1. Remove May.

It is a shame Isabel has had her problems because she is a naturally insightful journalist.
    Agreed. And her 'Age of Denial' podcast series is superb.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I think May's best chance now to secure a deal is perversely to have the EU reject an extension request. If I was May I would be rather Macchiavellian and given an unappealing request.

Dear Mr Tusk,

I am writing to you to request an extension to the UK's article 50 period, because Parliament has requested I do so. Parliament is unable to make up its mind on how to proceed so we need more time to continue these discussions. Please grant the UK an extension in order to provide time to re-open the Withdrawal Agreement and remove the backstop, or otherwise allow Parliament to continue to debate whether or not to ratify the Agreement.

At this time I do not foresee any other changes and I have no plans to change anything further other than to request more time.

With regards,
    Theresa May,
    10 Downing Street.

To be honest, I can see May doing something like that. MPs should've added a clause to last week's vote which would require May to put her letter requesting an extension to a vote in Parliament (with the opportunity to amend the wording of the letter), before sending it.
    Too many words. A request for a short extension while she pops off for a few weeks well deserved holiday should do it.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

IanB2 said:

My MP said as much at a social on Saturday. She was concerned prospective councillors standing on May 2nd might pay the price for Brexit failure.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    If the EU wants a reason for an extension, May should answer " To find my replacement."
    She is the problem. Her constant quest to find a middle position to keep the Tories together.
    They need a leadership election, with blood on the floor, to decide what their position is. On far more than Brexit too.
    If this means opposition then so be it.
  • Options

No Deal definitely leads to Corbyn - chaos followed by Venezuela.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

It depends who loses the blame game. If the EU simply says No to any extension, the government may not lose it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,415
    What an utter horse turd that man is.
  • Options
    eek said:
    "“We have to have all our procedures completed one hour before midnight Brussels time [11pm UK time]”, the diplomat said. “But everybody prefers to do it the formal way at the European council but from a legal point of view we have to say ‘yes’ a little bit before, not one minute to midnight. Everybody would prefer to have clarity as soon as possible on this because there will be a lot of consequences.”"

Sounds like a Sky Sports Brexit transfer day thriller...has the paperwork arrived in time? Over to Jim White...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,262
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

I think I might have written the best thriller of my career to date. THE ASSISTANT, by S K Tremayne

I mention that now because one of the reasons it is good (if it is any good) is because of Brexit. Every morning for the last year, when I've woken up and read/heard/watched the headline news, and realised it is nothing but Brexit plus Brexit with added Brexit, I have gone straight to work, just to tune out the boring chaos.

Well I am glad some good has come of this farce. We may have lost any last vestiges of faith in our political leaders, our theory of democracy has collapsed, the people are no longer sovereign and the rule of law has been trampled underfoot but you have got an excellent thriller out of it. Sounds like a decent trade off to me.
    In a thousand years time, I suspect schoolchildren will be learning about the thrillers of SK Tremayne and not about Brexit.
    I'm beginning to suspect that they will be learning why the Maybot 3000 keeps kicking the can down the road and the bomb site that was previously the HoC can't make up its mind, despite the most sophisticated algorithms.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    She would have lost anyway:

Guardian:The Democratic Unionist party is unlikely to strike an agreement with Theresa May’s government to support the current withdrawal deal before Thursday’s crunch meeting with EU leaders, sources said on Monday.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It depends who loses the blame game. If the EU simply says No to any extension, the government may not lose it.
    'It started in Bruxelles' will be as unsuccessful as 'It started in America.'

The likes of Gove saying No Deal was Project Fear, we hold all the cards will be Leavers 'We abolished boom and bust.'
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

If the EU wants a reason for an extension, May should answer " To find my replacement."

She may have to have a GE purely so she can fill in the awkward pause when they ask her what the extension is actually for.
  • Options

But only for England and Wales; Scotland and NI have parachutes.
  • Options

Depends on how much chaos and how quickly it is stopped.

A couple of days of chaos might lead to some quick changes of mind.

That's a possibility not a prediction - I've no idea what is going to happen.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited March 2019
    Completely off topic for anyone who fancies witnessing something even more precarious than the vicissitudes of Brexit, the documentary FREE SOLO is excellent viewing.

It's not the most comfy watch as Alex Honnold climbs El Capitan without ropes but it is riveting (and palm-sweaty).

I highly recommend it.

Edit - it's on Sky Anytime... National Geographic, I think.
  • Options

I wonder how many of those would still expect to be Conservative candidates at the subsequent GE.
    Having successfully delivered No Deal Brexit? All of them
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Indeed.

Yes, the death cult is intensifying.
    What I found amazing was that many of the hard-line No Dealers must have voted Remain in the Referendum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Um, no offence, but I don't think anyone could accuse you of being a tower of strength up to this point. :neutral:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Could you get your tongue any further up his Article50?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

A question to those that predict civil unrest if Brexit is revoked, read this from yesterday's Sunday Times and tell me do you think civil unrest is less likely if a no-deal crash out leads to interruption of drinking water supplies?

Concerns over access to drinking water surfaced in November when it emerged that Michael Gove had only backed Theresa May’s deal after he discovered that Britain would run out within days of a no-deal Brexit.

Chemicals used to purify water are imported to the UK from Europe on a just-in-time basis, meaning any delay at Dover could leave deliveries caught in weeks of border chaos. Liquefied chlorine, sodium silicofluoride, aluminium sulphate, fluorosilicic acid and calcium hydroxide cannot be stockpiled.

Thames Water, the UK’s biggest water company, said it was working with the government to ensure that supplies of drinking water would not be hit.

However, civil servants at the Cabinet Office, which is overseeing Brexit plans, fear that the measures will not be enough and are among those said to be stockpiling bottled water.

I bolded the really salient bit.

Gosh, whatever will we do without those lovely enhancements in our water?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Is Robert being facetious or faecestious :wink:
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,939
    rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Truly, every cloud has a silver lining.
    Interesting that you agree - and are happy - that the country is screwed.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2019
    Bercow hast managed to push all the waverers who were coming around to the WA back into the no deal camp.

If there's a second referendum I think Leave win because of today where the establishment has acted against the public vote so blatantly.

My WhatsApp group is absolutely seething at what they see as an establishment coup.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,313
    edited March 2019
    ydoethur said:
    I literally laughed out loud at that but was it not something along those lines that led to Lord North's Government losing the American colonies?

I really can see May being recognised in due course as the worst PM since North.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    MaxPB said:

Bercow hast managed to push all the waverers who were coming around to the WA back into the no deal camp.

Do you think? I don't see how.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If there's a second referendum I think Leave win because of today where the establishment has acted against the public vote so blatantly.

In which case the Deal wins as the Deal would be the only Leave option on the ballot
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Luckily the backstop is in place.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208

rpjs said:

A question to those that predict civil unrest if Brexit is revoked, read this from yesterday's Sunday Times and tell me do you think civil unrest is less likely if a no-deal crash out leads to interruption of drinking water supplies?

Concerns over access to drinking water surfaced in November when it emerged that Michael Gove had only backed Theresa May’s deal after he discovered that Britain would run out within days of a no-deal Brexit.

Chemicals used to purify water are imported to the UK from Europe on a just-in-time basis, meaning any delay at Dover could leave deliveries caught in weeks of border chaos. Liquefied chlorine, sodium silicofluoride, aluminium sulphate, fluorosilicic acid and calcium hydroxide cannot be stockpiled.

Thames Water, the UK’s biggest water company, said it was working with the government to ensure that supplies of drinking water would not be hit.

However, civil servants at the Cabinet Office, which is overseeing Brexit plans, fear that the measures will not be enough and are among those said to be stockpiling bottled water.

...er, die from water poisoning?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

rpjs said:

Die.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

ydoethur said:
    I literally laughed out loud at that but was it not something along those lines that led to Lord North's Government losing the American colonies?

I really can see being recognised in doe course as the worst PM since North.
    Even if she were worse than Brown - and she isn't - there is no way any PM would be worse than Goderich.

(I take it you're referring to repeal of the Townshend Acts on the day of the Boston Massacre?)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

1. Remove May.
    Well, that's the negative stuff, now onto the positives..
  • Options
    edited March 2019

IanB2 said:

If we get No Brexit it will be because of Labour, LD and SNP votes with only a handful of Tories tacked on, remember most Tory MPs have already voted not to rule out No Deal and against extension of Article 50. If we ended up with No Brexit Boris would likely end up Tory leader to avoid Tory Leavers moving en masse to Farage's new Brexit Party and UKIP
  • Options

rpjs said:

Fluoride for a start isn't added to purify the water, it's added because it is believed to ward off tooth decay. It's also a poison now that you mention it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

They see it as an establishment coup to derail brexit and force the PM into revoking or a long dated extension.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

At the risk of breaking my vow within 20 minutes (in fairness, well ahead of the average politician) my current list is:

1. May's useless deal with or without a short extension.
    2. No deal Brexit (with as many mini deals as possible).
    3.Revoke.

659. A long extension.

It really is the worst possible solution. No wonder it is gaining credence in the madhouse.

Now that's what I call sunlit uplands.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Fluoride for a start isn't added to purify the water, it's added because it is believed to ward off tooth decay. It's also a poison now that you mention it.
    We have to leave the EU on 29th March before it has chance to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids
  • Options

rpjs said:

We have to leave the EU on 29th March before it has chance to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids
    We do not avoid Europeans, as you know Rochdale, but we do deny them our essence.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

She would have lost anyway:

Guardian:The Democratic Unionist party is unlikely to strike an agreement with Theresa May’s government to support the current withdrawal deal before Thursday’s crunch meeting with EU leaders, sources said on Monday.

Mirrors Boris thinking (if he thinks) and is why when I heard Bercow today I was relieved that he had stopped MV3 this week and not TM

Ironically I think he could have saved TM deal which I would expect to be returned next week with the brexiteers facing pass it or lose brexit

As I have said before either outcome is fine by me so I am relaxed about Brexit this evening
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

They see it as an establishment coup to derail brexit and force the PM into revoking or a long dated extension.
    Well it is, but if anything surely it creates warm feelings for the snatched away deal if Bercow is doing his best to kill it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even if she were worse than Brown - and she isn't - there is no way any PM would be worse than Goderich.

(I take it you're referring to repeal of the Townshend Acts on the day of the Boston Massacre?)
    Lord North to me will always be the PM who lost the Americas, but maybe I am doing him an injustice.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Lord North to me will always be the PM who lost the Americas, but maybe I am doing him an injustice.
    He was the PM in charge when the 13 colonies were able to gain independence. I would argue the two are not necessarily the same thing. His sense of humour was also wonderful.

Goderich, on the other hand, remains the only PM in history to be so utterly inadequate he couldn't even meet Parliament.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Well it is, but if anything surely it creates warm feelings for the snatched away deal if Bercow is doing his best to kill it.
    Would be sort of funny if Bercow's play was merely a massive reverse psychology "no you can't have it" ploy.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

rpjs said:

I'm sure that is hilarious, but I'm still not going to bemoan any lack of fluoride in the water. I have no objection to applying it topically whilst brushing but I struggle to see how it can improve dental health by mass ingestion. It's like getting vitamins by watching a truck of broccoli drive past.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited March 2019
    deleted
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Pulpstar said:
    Paging seanT.....
  • Options

rpjs said:

Fluoride isn't added at toxic levels. That is why you don't die when you drink tap water.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    In case nobody has pointed this out, the 2nd referendum petition has more that 100k signers now.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235138
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Would be sort of funny if Bercow's play was merely a massive reverse psychology "no you can't have it" ploy.
    No, I think Bercow was out to stop Brexit, as per, but unless I see statements to the contrary, the effect will surely be the one you suggest.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    ,,Downfall'' mit Bruno Ganz, on Film4 right now!
  • Options

rpjs said:

Fluoride isn't added at toxic levels. That is why you don't die when you drink tap water.
    Fluoride is added to the water supply by Zionists.
  • Options

rpjs said:

I despair that our nation has allowed our key infrastructure to get so integrated with the EU that we cannot cope if french farmers were to blockade the continent ports for a few seconds. This is just BOLLOSKS- either it is untrue or the lack of contingency planning by companies / government should result in people being fired for incompetence.
  • Options

rpjs said:

I know. That doesn't end discussion on the potential health implications of long term exposure of course. A cigarette is not toxic either, but a lifetime of smoking is unwise. But I'm not claiming it's dangerous or even bad for you, I'm saying it's absurd on a list of things that mean we can't drink the water.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

Fluoride is added to the water supply by Zionists.
    When did you join Labour?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    MaxPB said:

My WhatsApp group is absolutely seething at what they see as an establishment coup.

Oh dear more Leave hysteria . Given many of the ERG are happy with Bercow decision how exactly is this a coup .

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

If we get No Brexit it will be because of Labour, LD and SNP votes with only a handful of Tories tacked on, remember most Tory MPs have already voted not to rule out No Deal and against extension of Article 50. If we ended up with No Brexit Boris would likely end up Tory leader to avoid Tory Leavers moving en masse to Farage's new Brexit Party and UKIP
    For much the same reasons, you may also end up with Johnson as PM in the case of a long extension, which will be viewed in much the same light as revoking. May's 12 months of immunity only lasts until mid-December 2019.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Pulpstar said:
    Does anyone give a toss?

oh, is that my coat????
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

SeanT said:

Er, what just happened?

Bercow seems to have made himself Sovereign.
    He always has been. What is discussed, amended and voted on in Parliament is under an Absolute Monarch. A basic fundamental of the Constitution.
    It seems to be a surprise to some.
    Not quite.

It was always a Potential Absolute Monarch. In the same way that our governments can (usually) be Elected Dictators but rarely are.

Bercow has abused his role by being partisan rather than the servant of the house
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    I don't mind MPs repeatedly voting on something, especially as there doesn't seem to be a consensus on anything, but there is an air of deja vu all over again with these "meaningful" votes. If Erskine May has any purpose in preventing repetitions this would surely be it.
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    edited March 2019
    MaxPB said:

My social media feeds are full of people singing the praises of Bercow, hailing him as a hero and even calling for him to be PM! I don't actually agree with this as I'm a Remainer who is far, far from being a Bercow fan... but it just goes to show how very few of us are getting an accurate sample of the public mood.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    MaxPB said:

Odd that they see conspiracy in everything and cannot understand a perfectly sensible ruling in line with longstanding precedent.
  • Options
    eek said:
    That’s the first Brexit joke that’s actually made me smile
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The UK has gone from respected and pragmatic, a country to be relied on to a complete basket case .

As a Remainer I thought this was going to end up a car crash but even I never managed it would end up this bad.

• Options
    FF43 said:

I don't mind MPs repeatedly voting on something, especially as there doesn't seem to be a consensus on anything, but there is an air of deja vu all over again with these "meaningful" votes. If Erskine May has any purpose in preventing repetitions this would surely be it.

I am not sure the public will see it that way. This is one of the issues that most of the public who know what it is, desperately want to be resolved. Standing in the way of that happening using an interpretation of a little known parliamentary procedure looks incredibly self indulgent and out of touch to me.
  • Options

rpjs said:

I'm sure that is hilarious, but I'm still not going to bemoan any lack of fluoride in the water. I have no objection to applying it topically whilst brushing but I struggle to see how it can improve dental health by mass ingestion. It's like getting vitamins by watching a truck of broccoli drive past.
    You may be right in one sense. The evidence that was used to justify the inclusion of fluoride in water would not meet current standards. And the improvement in dental hygiene that has occurred since fluoridation programmes were started may be due to other factors. But if we stopped doing it then it might turn out that the fluoridation was a major reason for the improvement. Would you fancy being the person who made that decision?

Your analogy is incorrect. Ingesting fluoride in tap water is not remotely like watching a truck full of broccoli.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The UK has gone from respected and pragmatic, a country to be relied on to a complete basket case .

As a Remainer I thought this was going to end up a car crash but even I never managed it would end up this bad.

You should try living in a basket case.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    nico67 said:

What's bad? Employment is at record levels, things are going so smoothly in fact that Parliament feels no urgency whatsoever in resolving anything.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited March 2019

FF43 said:

I am not sure the public will see it that way. This is one of the issues that most of the public who know what it is, desperately want to be resolved. Standing in the way of that happening using an interpretation of a little known parliamentary procedure looks incredibly self indulgent and out of touch to me.
    To be clear, I think the presumption should be the HoC is allowed to vote whenever it wants. Which means there should have been a vote last November.
  • Options
    Charles said:

eek said:
    Likewise.

Genuinely funny.
  • Options
    Yes I would fancy it.
  • Options

nico67 said:

What's bad? Employment is at record levels, things are going so smoothly in fact that Parliament feels no urgency whatsoever in resolving anything.
    From 1950 - 1990, Italy managed to combine total political chaos with being Europe's fastest-growing economy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    TBF if your job was to deal with MPs all day long you’d want to regulate wankers as well
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

nico67 said:

From 1950 - 1990, Italy managed to combine total political chaos with being Europe's fastest-growing economy.
    Indeed, there's a clear inverse relationship (in Italy) between the length of the average premiership and economic growth.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

For much the same reasons, you may also end up with Johnson as PM in the case of a long extension, which will be viewed in much the same light as revoking. May's 12 months of immunity only lasts until mid-December 2019.
    Yes, Johnson will be a Salmond type figure for Leave voters if Brexit never happens, a rallying point against the Unionist, EUphile establishment
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

We do not avoid Europeans, as you know Rochdale, but we do deny them our essence.
    Gentlemen! no fighting! This is the Brexit Room.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Always knew my VPN would come in handy.

Get it? Handy...?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    Toms said:

In case nobody has pointed this out, the 2nd referendum petition has more that 100k signers now.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235138

Oh well, we have the prospect of a parliamentary debate on Brexit. That will be novel.
  • Options

FF43 said:

May just repeatedly banging on with the same vote ignoring the massive defeats isn't much better of a look - it makes her appear one-dimensional at best and at the end of her road at worst. What Bercow's done here is the equivalent of trying to give the stuck record player a bit of a bash to move it on one way or another. Albeit in a self-indulgent way, I think that bit is a fair comment.

May should go to the Commons and provide the chance for a set of indicative votes where the government expresses no strong opinions any way in particular, give Parliament the chance to have its say and if nothing comes out of those in terms of anything looking like it would command a majority (entirely possible as Parliament looks like it might struggle to decide on which biscuits to have in the meeting) then at that point the deal may start to look more plausible as the way forward.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

eek said:
    Likewise.

Genuinely funny.
    Grayling was the Cabinet Minister a while back who told me that the way the EU was behaving was “tantamount to an act of war”

I lost what little respect I had for him at that point
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Pulpstar said:
    Always knew my VPN would come in handy.

Get it? Handy...?
    Should lead to a happy ending.
This discussion has been closed.