Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the betting markets it’s now a 74% chance that TMay will go

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217
    Grieve: "never been more ashamed to be a member of the Conservative party"
    "What is the purpose of this government?"
    "Trust and credibility in this government is running out"
    "We are going to spiral down into oblivion, and the worst part is that we will deserve it"
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,778

Scott_P said:
    I think she has a lot on her plate at present
    Are we back to talking about Veganism?
    Only if a shit sandwich is considered to be vegan.
    Is bullshit vegan?
    I imagine so. If no harm came to the bull and he was only fed on grass or lentils, I am sure a Vegan could eat as part of calorie controlled diet
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

So can we measure the remaining lifespan of the Prime Minister in hours or days?
    How about for the government>
    How about for Brexit?

Better to think of her tenure as a half life. Exponentially decaying and becoming ever more useless, but never quite over. No chance of her actually quitting if MV3 fails. She will never resign of her own accord.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217
    BREAKING: PM statement outside No. 10 at 8 pm
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

FF43 said:

It's a dreadful situation. Theresa May has no sway over her hardliners. They either get her deal, which most of them can live with, or they get No Deal, which they prefer. Her Remainer colleagues are appalled at the prospect of No Deal, but are entirely dependent on Labour MPs not opposing. The Deal could pass with a split Tory party and Labour abstentions because they were bounced into it. But the Deal is only a smoke and mirrors affair to get through Brexit. The real bloodletting will start next week when discussions about the long term arrangements start. These will take place in an atmosphere of resentment.

It seems quite likely to pass, with the pincer movement of May (pass it or who knows what) and Tusk (pass it or no deal). As you say, probably a split Tory party and lots of Labour abstentions. The public will be quite pleased - decisive at last, etc.

As you say, the devil will be in the details, and it may be that May will not be carrying those forward...
    Revoke's still a possibility, though.
    I am not at all sure how that comes about
    Boris Johnson seizes the opportunity for his Churchillian moment and backs revocation as the best way of avoiding the "Carthaginian terms" of the withdrawal agreement.
    "Anyone can rat, but it takes a certain amount of ingenuity to re-rat." Yes, I could see that appealing to Boris.

Is PM Boris a price worth paying for Remaining though? Hmm...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

"We are going to spiral down into oblivion, and the worst part is that we will deserve it"

He's upset he's lost?

The purpose of this government is to enact Brexit. He should know that, its the manifesto he stood on last time.

EDIT: And why hasn't he quit to join TIG if that's how he feels?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    IanB2 said:

He's one to talk given his unbending fanaticism is one reason no deal is still so prevalent an option. He's a total hypocrite who has been happy to risk everything so long as he gets what he wants, and no different to those he criticises.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Have we reached the Sunlit Uplands yet?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I am beginning to think this has been co-ordinated by the EU and no 10

Lidington was in Brussels yesterday and the choreography from TM publishing her letter, to leaks that Macron would say no, to Tusk saying yes but subject to WDA passing next week, and Varadkar announcing TM will address the nation tonight

Who knows but it is feasable

Don't be ridiculous. None of those involved are capable of that level of coordination or organisation. We have a PM whose focus has come down from a long term plan, to the next week to what votes are up today. She has completely lost the plot and really should have quit.
    Maybe but books in the future will be very interesting
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    If only there was a way for the country to have a say.

Just Revoke, Tezzie. Then reign. For all our sakes.
    Best typo ever.
    Woops!!!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

lots of moaning and whingeing backbenchers bewailing their impotence in HoC
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597

Going above the heads of MPs at this moment would be about as far as possible from the best thing to do, given that in this situation, it's *only* MPs who matter.
    In a keenly contested category, she is now comfortably the worst Prime Minister in my lifetime and quite possibly the worst since universal suffrage.
    From the other side of the Brexit debate, I have to agree with you.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Scott_P said:
    The backlash against Labour for backing something like that would be immense.
  • Options

we seem to be heading that way !
  • Options
    Grieve rinsing May. Pity no-one will pay heed.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    edited March 2019

IanB2 said:

Stunning direct attack on May by Grieve in the Commons debate

Remainers rattled.....

Grieve has put everything he owns on black. It's going to come up red.
    In my brief period posting here I have noticed that there is a general consensus that when someone of the opposite views to a poster verbally attacks someone who shares his/her views, it automatically means that the attacker (and by extension his party/tribe) is "rattled". May I ask if there is any evidence to support this assertion? A peer-reviewed psychological study perhaps?
  • Options

Very personal thing for them to bring up, given politically they are not impotent and that's been part of May's problem.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    .. and he might not be for much longer, either.
  • Options
    Im sure there are many in the party who have never been more ashamed as to have him as a member
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Scott_P said:
    Presumably with an election also part of the deal?
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Give me an N, give me an O an R a W a A a Y.

ERG have shot themselves in the foot.
    Agree that and the deal should be confirmed with the help of labour mps acting independent of Corbyn
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Scott_P said:
    True, but so would the backlash for not backing it.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Sky Poll.

Only 7 percent put the full blame on the EU for the current mess .
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    We need to revoke Article 50 now. This is no longer amusing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Very personal thing for them to bring up, given politically they are not impotent and that's been part of May's problem.
    they are impotent in as far as they cant agree anything among themselves ( except how important they are )

really we should ban this entire lot from ever being MPs again and start with a fresh house.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    The addition of circusses having preceded the shortages of bread.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

And how are you going to do that
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Scott_P said:
    Presumably with an election also part of the deal?
    Teh backlash against may would be just as much from the ERG. Both parties might fall apart.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

He's upset he's lost?

The purpose of this government is to enact Brexit. He should know that, its the manifesto he stood on last time.

Sorry Philip, but the idea that all MPs should robotically fall into line with a manifesto, particularly when they may have been an MP for a long time is just silly. Our (rather broken) system attempts to present a manifesto for the executive through it's MPs. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of MPs over the years who have not rigidly stuck to the manifesto of the front bench, and quite rightly so.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

The addition of circusses having preceded the shortages of bread.
    loads of bread in Warwickshire, but no circuses
  • Options

Just imagine how happy we will be when we get our free Unicorns
  • Options
    This afternoon has tipped my business over the edge, the remaining decisions on supply are all now made on the assumption that we no deal next week,

Wonder how many others have also been holding off making a decision as long as possible and are now also acting?

The panic buying and chaos starts here in earnest
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Give me an N, give me an O an R a W a A a Y.

ERG have shot themselves in the foot.
    Agree that and the deal should be confirmed with the help of labour mps acting independent of Corbyn
    If our MPs weren't using Brexit as a proxy for leadership battles or for forcing a general election, we might have ended up with a sensible compromise a hell of a lot sooner.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,238
    kle4 said:

Going above the heads of MPs at this moment would be about as far as possible from the best thing to do, given that in this situation, it's *only* MPs who matter.
    Indeed. Plus she has tried the approach before to put pressure on MPs, and it hasn't worked because the public are happier with no deal than deal, ore remain than deal.
    How does that work, putting it to the people. Like a vote, you mean?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,061
    rpjs said:

FF43 said:

It's a dreadful situation. Theresa May has no sway over her hardliners. They either get her deal, which most of them can live with, or they get No Deal, which they prefer. Her Remainer colleagues are appalled at the prospect of No Deal, but are entirely dependent on Labour MPs not opposing. The Deal could pass with a split Tory party and Labour abstentions because they were bounced into it. But the Deal is only a smoke and mirrors affair to get through Brexit. The real bloodletting will start next week when discussions about the long term arrangements start. These will take place in an atmosphere of resentment.

It seems quite likely to pass, with the pincer movement of May (pass it or who knows what) and Tusk (pass it or no deal). As you say, probably a split Tory party and lots of Labour abstentions. The public will be quite pleased - decisive at last, etc.

As you say, the devil will be in the details, and it may be that May will not be carrying those forward...
    Revoke's still a possibility, though.
    I am not at all sure how that comes about
    Boris Johnson seizes the opportunity for his Churchillian moment and backs revocation as the best way of avoiding the "Carthaginian terms" of the withdrawal agreement.
    "Anyone can rat, but it takes a certain amount of ingenuity to re-rat." Yes, I could see that appealing to Boris.

Is PM Boris a price worth paying for Remaining though? Hmm...
    I suggested something along these lines to Johnson when I was lucky enough to meet him last week. He said that a lot of people had suggested that course of action to him, but he didn't seem to me very inclined to do it. (Sorry for namedropping).
  • Options

Fenman said:

If Parliament agrees to do so, an extension to do it would be quickly forthcoming.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    I had my periodic glance at La Repubblica this morning and Brexit, even at this stage, was the 93rd strapline on the, very large, main page.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573

.. and he might not be for much longer, either.
    Facing a VONC in his Constituency.
  • Options

Im sure there are many in the party who have never been more ashamed as to have him as a member
    I am still a member, and I am a lot more proud of him than I am the thickos in the ERG. He is knowledgeable, articulate and intelligent. The Conservative Party needs more, not less Dominic Grieves, and a lot less Mark Francoises
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Fenman said:

Fenman said:

If Parliament agrees to do so, an extension to do it would be quickly forthcoming.
    It would need either May or Corbyn committing to it, and neither look like they will in a month of sundays.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Fenman said:

Where are the numbers
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    nico67 said:

Sky Poll.

Only 7 percent put the full blame on the EU for the current mess .

I think Sky Polls are just a part of the irritating ephemera of modern life. They could be used as examples in chapter 1 of "Invalid Statistical Techniques for fun or profit".
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    x

IanB2 said:

He's upset he's lost?

Sorry Philip, but the idea that all MPs should robotically fall into line with a manifesto, particularly when they may have been an MP for a long time is just silly. Our (rather broken) system attempts to present a manifesto for the executive through it's MPs. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of MPs over the years who have not rigidly stuck to the manifesto of the front bench, and quite rightly so.
    "As someone who has always advocated a close relationship between the UK and the European Union, I accept the result of the 2016 Referendum. I therefore strongly support the Prime Minister’s determination to secure a negotiated arrangement for leaving the EU and for forging a new trading relationship for the future, providing certainty for trade and business whilst giving us control of migration and releasing us from the direct effect of EU Law. I also believe that the people of our country will benefit from a close continuing relationship with a strong EU and I will work to help build these important links for our future. I very much hope, therefore, that the Prime Minister will be able to achieve something close to the goals she set out in her speech at Lancaster House in February."

Dominic Grieve 2/5/17
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Tyke, quite.

The electorate don't have votes in the Commons...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940

Scott_P said:
    No, the Withdrawal Agreement is largely not contested by Labour it is whether to make the backstop and Customs Union membership permanent which is a matter for the future relationship
  • Options

Fenman said:

Fenman said:

Where are the numbers
    Hold the vote. The Tory Party is ready to split.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    No, the Withdrawal Agreement is largely not contested by Labour it is whether to make the backstop and Customs Union membership permanent which is a matter for the future relationship
    Whether or not to support leaving is very much contested within the Labour party.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

IanB2 said:

He's upset he's lost?

MPs shouldn't be robotic clones or nodding yes-men to their leader but when the central plank of a manifesto is something that you don't believe in . . . don't complain later when the government tries to implement the manifesto you were elected upon.
  • Options

I am still a member, and I am a lot more proud of him than I am the thickos in the ERG. He is knowledgeable, articulate and intelligent. The Conservative Party needs more, not less Dominic Grieves, and a lot less Mark Francoises
    fewer
  • Options

x

IanB2 said:

He's upset he's lost?

"As someone who has always advocated a close relationship between the UK and the European Union, I accept the result of the 2016 Referendum. I therefore strongly support the Prime Minister’s determination to secure a negotiated arrangement for leaving the EU and for forging a new trading relationship for the future, providing certainty for trade and business whilst giving us control of migration and releasing us from the direct effect of EU Law. I also believe that the people of our country will benefit from a close continuing relationship with a strong EU and I will work to help build these important links for our future. I very much hope, therefore, that the Prime Minister will be able to achieve something close to the goals she set out in her speech at Lancaster House in February."

Dominic Grieve 2/5/17
    Nothing contradictory in that statement if you read it properly.
  • Options

x

IanB2 said:

He's upset he's lost?

Dominic Grieve 2/5/17
    Except almost everything the liar has done and said since.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Pro_Rata said:

I had my periodic glance at La Repubblica this morning and Brexit, even at this stage, was the 93rd strapline on the, very large, main page.
    It's being much more frequently covered in France now. Opinion from everyone I've spoken to seems to be largely aligned with Macron against any extension and thinks we are a bit nuts. My own wife included!
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

Oh dear, someone has to support them I guess. Does he like Tommeh too ?

Actually once again Nigel is incorrect. I joined UKIP back when it first formed under Alan Sked. Unlike Sked I stayed in after Farage took over and then left once Cameron announced the referendum was on. They were a useful vehicle to achieve a goal and once that goal was achieved they became pointless. So I have not been a UKIP member for almost 4years.

Now since Nigel is both fairly new to PB and also clearly suffers from some deficiencies in intelligence he can be forgiven for not knowing this and also for not knowing I advocate unlimited migration. Something I suspect might stir some concerns in his closed mind.
    An ex-UKIP member accusing someone of having a closed mind, or questioning their intelligence is hilarious!

I used to find you irritating, but now I do enjoy your contributions as they keep confirming my suspicions of how dumb you have to be to be a UKIP supporter. Now you admit you were a member. Fantastic. Did you have little rallies where you secretly dressed up? Practice sessions where you attempted to talk about Europe without getting red in the face or rolling your eyes?

The really interesting thing about your post is that you said you joined under Alan Sked. Sked openly accused Farage of being a racist (I am sure even you can use Google) and yet you remained part of a party led by a man accused of being a racist, and who has not sued Sked for what he said. You must have known about that. Nice one! Keep taking the tablets Richard. The great thing about freedom of speech is that we get to see those with unpleasant views crawl out from under their stones and show themselves for what they are.

PS I have been following PB since the days of "Tim". I gave up contributing for a while and then came back. Sorry you have bene too dumb to work that one out
    UKIP just use to be red trousered libertarian free marketeers, it has long since gone down the rabbit hole to an immigration obsessed, foreigner hating, Islamic despising reactionary political wing of the EDF.
  • Options

the conservatives no longer have a purpose they just need to wind their party up and make way for people interested in making the country a better place for all its citizens

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Scott_P said:
    Depends what it is of course. More likely nowt will come of it.
    A compromise to the PM means everyone deciding to agree with her.
  • Options
    @Nigel_Foremain you're making a complete dick of yourself re @Richard_Tyndall - he's always been very clear in his support for freedom of movement, he just wanted to leave the EU. Supporting UKIP in that aim was the only route to it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Scott_P said:
    So today May offers ERGers two good reasons not to vote for her deal: A much bigger likelihood of No Deal, and her resignation. What on earth is she thinking?
    Scare the Remainers into it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    edited March 2019

You are really funny, but without trying. A stereotype. The claim on unlimited immigration while being a member of UKIP. You couldn't make it up! Absolutely priceless, and then calling me Foreskin, absolutely brilliant. I don't often laugh at people, but Ill make an exception for you Mr Tyndall (or should I think of some childish playground name for you?).

As I said before you show your profound ignorance. I have argued in favour of unlimited migration on here for many years. I am starting to think perhaps you were still in nappies when Tim was posting on here.
    Well I confess, much as it must hurt your ego, I had not noticed that contradiction before. A UKIPer in favour of unlimited migration! I have heard it all now! Sounds a bit like a Jewish Nazi or Billionaire Marxist. You are really very amusing!
    Not really. Many people joined UKIP as a vehicle for getting a referendum. That is why when they got one support for the party collapsed. They became pointless.
  • Options

x

IanB2 said:

He's upset he's lost?

Dominic Grieve 2/5/17
    Except almost everything the liar has done and said since.
    Utter nonsense. He understands the law, his detractors, and most of the legislature do not.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    The rural alehouse can be as deceptive as the London coffee house in making national decisions. The Tories may be about to find this out.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Seems as good an excuse as any to bring back my theoretical conversation between party leaders at the suggestion they get locked together in a room to figure something out.

May: You must do as I say
    Corbyn: You must do as I say
    Blackford: You must do as I say
    Saville-Roberts: You must do as the SNP say
    Lucas: You must do as..wait, why am I even here?
    Dodds: Never, never...
    May: We've not discussed any options yet...
    Dodds: Don't interrupt me. Ahem. Never!
    May: *sigh*. Someone wake up Vince please.
    Umunna: I'll do it.
    All: Who the f*ck invited the Tiggers?

But yeah, we know nothing will come of this.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,096

Rolling the pitch for the GE she will call if she loses MV3?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Its interesting how many of the happiest countries have a population of under ten million and also a low population density.

It suggests an independent Scotland might be happy.

I'm surprised to see Botswana as being so unhappy - I thought that was one of Africa's 'success stories'.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

Which, given her astonishing political ineptitude, is likely to be precisely what she’ll do.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918

dr_spyn said:
    The rural alehouse can be as deceptive as the London coffee house in making national decisions. The Tories may be about to find this out.
    I thought May had found that out once already.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Whether or not to support leaving is very much contested within the Labour party.
    Not really by Corbyn and not by many Labour MPs from Leave seats
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    Pro_Rata said:

And while we are used to the ‘elected dictatorship’ nature of our politics, and all this parliament stuff seems dreadful and grubby, actually in the rest of Europe and most of the world this kind of thing is pretty normal. Deals, back scratching, nose holding and governments prostrating themselves to a small number of people who hold the balance of power is not considered a bug, but a feature of their politics based on proportional voting system creating perpetual coalitions.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:
    So today May offers ERGers two good reasons not to vote for her deal: A much bigger likelihood of No Deal, and her resignation. What on earth is she thinking?
    Scare the Remainers into it.
    Too late. She cannot even control the ones in her Cabinet.
  • Options

It’s a useful counterpoint to those on here who think the country has already disappeared down the plughole.
  • Options

fewer
    Fair enough, never mind being corrected on grammar, though if you understood rhetoric you would understand it spoils the symmetry of the sentence :)
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019

Pro_Rata said:

It's being much more frequently covered in France now. Opinion from everyone I've spoken to seems to be largely aligned with Macron against any extension and thinks we are a bit nuts. My own wife included!
    The most interest seems to be in Northern Europe, particularly neighbouring countries ; France, the low countries, Germany and Scandinavia - and it's not generally positive.
  • Options

@Nigel_Foremain you're making a complete dick of yourself re @Richard_Tyndall - he's always been very clear in his support for freedom of movement, he just wanted to leave the EU. Supporting UKIP in that aim was the only route to it.

I think there’s something about having the name “Nigel” that makes you rather dickish.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    I was out for a beer last week with two remainers one a retired legal partner and lifelong Labour man the other a retired actuarial partner

we all agreed on one thing we couldnt think of any party we;d want to vote for
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

I think there’s something about having the name “Nigel” that makes you rather dickish.
    There is nothing wrong with Nigelb...
  • Options

x

IanB2 said:

He's upset he's lost?

Dominic Grieve 2/5/17
    He has been clear since that nothing the PM could achieve would be good enough for him. He should have been honest from the start. Carefully worded statements were not needed.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

In a keenly contested category, she is now comfortably the worst Prime Minister in my lifetime and quite possibly the worst since universal suffrage.
    I agree , May is a complete disgrace to this country.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Pro_Rata said:

The most interest seems to be in Northern Europe, particularly neighbouring countries ; France, the low countries, Germany and Scandinavia ; and it's not generally positive .
    well since theyll take the brunt of the down side why would it be ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I think she has a lot on her plate at present
    Are we back to talking about Veganism?
    Only if a shit sandwich is considered to be vegan.
    Is bullshit vegan?
    I imagine so. If no harm came to the bull and he was only fed on grass or lentils, I am sure a Vegan could eat as part of calorie controlled diet
    Calorie control isn’t their problem.

Or, rather, it is their problem.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

There is nothing wrong with Nigelb...
    We will have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Fenman said:

A lot of people agree.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

The votes are piling up so quickly people are taking video screenshots and putting them online.
  • Options

Its interesting how many of the happiest countries have a population of under ten million and also a low population density.

I'm surprised to see Botswana as being so unhappy - I thought that was one of Africa's 'success stories'.
    Given the cliff we are meant to be falling off I was surprised by the result. Only Canada ranks ahead of us among the major economies.

maybe theres a lot to be said for ignoring the politicans and watching Love Island
  • Options

Well you must be pals because you also resort to personal abuse. He said he was a member of UKIP. Support for an outcome would be different. There are plenty of people who have differing views on here and they can be respected. Richard is not one that I can have any respect for, particularly with such a ridiculous position as that. I don't normally enjoy being rude to people, but he is clearly unpleasant so deserves it. So no, I am not the one being a dick here, dickhead!
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Grieve has been every bit as unhelpful to the process as the most intransigent ERGer.
  • Options

Fenman said:

A lot of people agree.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

The votes are piling up so quickly people are taking video screenshots and putting them online.
    It seems the natural response to those who want to remain and see their hope of a referendum disappear
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    notme2 said:

Pro_Rata said:

And while we are used to the ‘elected dictatorship’ nature of our politics, and all this parliament stuff seems dreadful and grubby, actually in the rest of Europe and most of the world this kind of thing is pretty normal. Deals, back scratching, nose holding and governments prostrating themselves to a small number of people who hold the balance of power is not considered a bug, but a feature of their politics based on proportional voting system creating perpetual coalitions.
    While the rest of the country goes about its business quite happily.

Recent political events have been very European in their nature.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Seems as good an excuse as any to bring back my theoretical conversation between party leaders at the suggestion they get locked together in a room to figure something out.

May: You must do as I say
    Corbyn: You must do as I say
    Blackford: You must do as I say
    Saville-Roberts: You must do as the SNP say
    Lucas: You must do as..wait, why am I even here?
    Dodds: Never, never...
    May: We've not discussed any options yet...
    Dodds: Don't interrupt me. Ahem. Never!
    May: *sigh*. Someone wake up Vince please.
    Umunna: I'll do it.
    All: Who the f*ck invited the Tiggers?

But yeah, we know nothing will come of this.
    LOL. And btw Grieve and Trevelyan even more determined to vote against now.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Well you must be pals because you also resort to personal abuse. He said he was a member of UKIP. Support for an outcome would be different. There are plenty of people who have differing views on here and they can be respected. Richard is not one that I can have any respect for, particularly with such a ridiculous position as that. I don't normally enjoy being rude to people, but he is clearly unpleasant so deserves it. So no, I am not the one being a dick here, dickhead!
    "I don't normally enjoy being rude to people"

Hahahaha
  • Options
    kle4 said:

x

IanB2 said:

He's upset he's lost?

Dominic Grieve 2/5/17
    He has been clear since that nothing the PM could achieve would be good enough for him. He should have been honest from the start. Carefully worded statements were not needed.
    Can't agree with you Mr. kle4. You might not like what he has done, but he has been holding the PM to account while she has drifted inexorably in the direction of the ERG. For that he has done parliament and the country good service. He is a man of conscience and he believes what she has done has damaged the country.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

Finland is not the happiest country on the world.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,249
    edited March 2019
    Norm said:

Grieve has been every bit as unhelpful to the process as the most intransigent ERGer.
    I don't mind some of them going as well !!!
  • Options

Difficult to know how to respond to that really, other than to say prejudice sits well with your other opinions.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Finland is not the happiest country on the world.
    Venezuela according to Jezza
This discussion has been closed.