Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we approach the slightly later than planned day of reckonin

Comments

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    MTimT said:

Honest question. Given the law of the land is the UK leaves the EU on 29 March, what legislation is required for May to extended Article 50? Can she just do it, or does she need the House to pass something?

It’s done by statutory instrument . It’s not amendable , MPs and the HOL vote.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

That’s EU law, not UK

The UK exit date was based on EU law.

We are not leaving on the 29th. That is not the law, in the UK or the EU.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Scott_P said:

That’s EU law, not UK

Doesn't it still have to be changed on the UK side?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Pulpstar said:

Remain probably means the ERG will win the war within the Tories to be honest.

Indeed.

Which means that the next Conservative government would take the UK straight out of the EU without even attempting any negotiations.
  • Options
    Article 50 has been extended. The EU and the UK have both agreed it.

We can't legally leave on the 29th
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    Scott_P said:

That’s EU law, not UK

But the UK law currently says the 1972 Act is repealed and we bugger off at 11pm next Friday. That was drawn from EU law, but has to be changed by a minister under an SI passed by both Houses. It will be done but hasn’t yet.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The date of the 29th is no longer valid in UK law.

The new date has yet to be set.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Mr Meeks. Your objection continues to be that people shouldn't vote badly. I agree, but they do, and often.

There is no debate on the result of the 2016 referendum. It is what it is.

We need to find a path that is consistent with the EUref. That's it. That's what we need to do.

Our MPs wish to arse about. Hopeless idiots generally. I have your card marked as of better stuff.
  • Options

But the UK law currently says the 1972 Act is repealed and we bugger off at 11pm next Friday. That was drawn from EU law, but has to be changed by a minister under an SI passed by both Houses. It will be done but hasn’t yet.

We have officially extended article 50. We are still members of the EU next Saturday.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Englands front line is going to be a bit special in a couple of years. Hudson-odi, Sancho, sterling, rashford, foden...
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    The worst kind of shroud waving. Brexit could cause a range of supply chain challenges, but the EpiPen shortage has been going on for some time, is global, and relates to flaws in the safety measures used during the manufacturing process, nothing to do with Brexit (indeed how would it have buggered the supply chain, we remain in the EU).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(18)30344-4/fulltext
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Penalty
  • Options

Penalty

Spoiler.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Omnium said:

Mr Meeks. Your objection continues to be that people shouldn't vote badly. I agree, but they do, and often.

We need to find a path that is consistent with the EUref. That's it. That's what we need to do.

Our MPs wish to arse about. Hopeless idiots generally. I have your card marked as of better stuff.
    It’s consistent with the EU ref to reconsider leaving. Voting leave in order to end up remaining was actively promoted by several Leave campaigners.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

That’s EU law, not UK

Yes, it still has to be changed. However, failing to change it wouldn't result in Britain leaving the EU, it would result in it having all kinds of broken laws that assumed it had left the EU when it hadn't.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    Oh, for God's sake, the trifling things people will fuss about.

We're talking about freedom, liberty, self-determination - TAKING BACK CONTROL. Whole political careers are here for the making. Please don't give us boring stuff about sick kids ...
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    If there are going to be indicative votes then this position could be interesting. Watson telling his new group to support second ref and Corbyn saying do not support it. Could be the start of some more friction in the PLP.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Omnium said:

It’s consistent with the EU ref to reconsider leaving. Voting leave in order to end up remaining was actively promoted by several Leave campaigners.
    Have you just won £1000? If yes, congratulations on the of the most impressive bets in pb history.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,781

viewcode said:

matt said:

matt said:

I just bought Spice by the Spice Girls on iTunes.

People buy music on iTunes? How quaint.
    You wot?
    Spotify. Apple Music. Tidal.
    Cleese. Milligan. Everett.

Sessions.
    Brooke-Taylor. Garden. Oddie.

Cricklewood.
    Truth or Dare.

My Turn.

I own a Goodies album and 2 Goodies singles.

Who is next?
    I am always saddened when physically in places where fictional people lived. I've been in Cricklewood (Goodies) Surbiton (Good Life) University of East Anglia (A Very Peculiar Practice and - I shit you not - Avengers HQ) and they did not live up to their reputation, being almost entirely lacking in trandems, compost, and Thors.
  • Options

Omnium said:

You can't translate the views of people that also voted this way to those of all that did. 'several' in 17.4m isn't much of a splash.

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2019

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

That’s EU law, not UK

Yes, it still has to be changed. However, failing to change it wouldn't result in Britain leaving the EU, it would result in it having all kinds of broken laws that assumed it had left the EU when it hadn't.
    Section 1 that repeals the 1972 Act is still showing as prospective at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/crossheading/repeal-of-the-eca so no ministerial order to bring it into force has yet been made.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    nico67 said:

MTimT said:

Honest question. Given the law of the land is the UK leaves the EU on 29 March, what legislation is required for May to extended Article 50? Can she just do it, or does she need the House to pass something?

It’s done by statutory instrument . It’s not amendable , MPs and the HOL vote.
    You're presumably right, although who knows what Bercow would decide was amendable thesedays.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,781
    Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Have you just won £1000? If yes, congratulations on the of the most impressive bets in pb history.
    Sadly it's "end of 2019", not "on schedule".
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Not quite yet. The bet was that we would still be in the EU at the end of 2019.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Sadly it's "end of 2019", not "on schedule".
    Ah.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

matt said:

matt said:

You wot?

Sessions.

Cricklewood.
    Truth or Dare.

My Turn.

Who is next?
    I am always saddened when physically in places where fictional people lived. I've been in Cricklewood (Goodies) Surbiton (Good Life) University of East Anglia (A Very Peculiar Practice and - I shit you not - Avengers HQ) and they did not live up to their reputation, being almost entirely lacking in trandems, compost, and Thors.
    IIRC UEA wouldn't let them film A Very Peculiar Practice there, although the series was indeed based on that university. (I think it was mostly filmed at Birmingham University.) . Similarly the location scouts couldn't find anywhere in Surbiton that they felt was posh enough for the Goods and Ledbetters and it was actually filmed in Harrow. Surbiton is my home town and I grew up near The Avenue, which is a real street but not as leafy as portrayed in the show.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Not quite yet. The bet was that we would still be in the EU at the end of 2019.
    My guess is that you still have a decent chance, when we ask for the longer extension May wanted to seek yesterday, in early April. But you may need to argue that the bet should be decided - like Brexit itself - working from the European timezone.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,717
    A propos of nothing at all, I this picture

https://twitter.com/ERAUWatret/status/1107087143770513408
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Francis

Another clinical performance so far under Gareth. Enjoyed the first half. The youth, the pace, and the potential of the squad is fantastic.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

matt said:

matt said:

You wot?

Sessions.

Cricklewood.
    Truth or Dare.

My Turn.

Who is next?
    IIRC UEA wouldn't let them film A Very Peculiar Practice there, although the series was indeed based on that university. (I think it was mostly filmed at Birmingham University.) . Similarly the location scouts couldn't find anywhere in Surbiton that they felt was posh enough for the Goods and Ledbetters and it was actually filmed in Harrow. Surbiton is my home town and I grew up near The Avenue, which is a real street but not as leafy as portrayed in the show.
    Some of A Very Peculiar Practice was filmed at Keele, which the University was still talking about when I was there in the early 90s.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Scott_P said:
    She has up to the April date, max. Unless the deal passes, which it won't, in which case she might make it to the end of June while the Tories pick a new leader.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

matt said:

matt said:

You wot?

Sessions.

Cricklewood.
    Truth or Dare.

My Turn.

Who is next?
    The HQ building of Reggie Perrin's Grot business in Hangar Lane is however suitably grotty nowadays.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Scott_P said:

Article 50 has been extended. The EU and the UK have both agreed it.

We can't legally leave on the 29th

Well I'm still leaving next Friday. What you do is up to you. :D
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    FF43 said:

It’s never awesome to fly to Atlanta.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    Scott_P said:

kingbongo said:

no they aren't!!!! A Statutory Instrument is required on the UK side - it will happen and the HoC will approve it but it isn't done yet.

We are not leaving on the 29th,

That is done.

The new date has not yet been set
    You keep saying this but I don't know why - the SI needs to be voted on - de facto you are correct that the UK won't leave on the 29th but there really is a reason the govt will be introducing an SI probably on Monday, it's not for laughs - and I just don't get your rationale for denying it, it's odd. Nobody has denied your point that the UK will still be a member of the EU after 29 March, just some people have gently pointed out you are mistaken about the need for further legal activity.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    rpjs said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

That’s EU law, not UK

Section 1 that repeals the 1972 Act is still showing as prospective at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/crossheading/repeal-of-the-eca so no ministerial order to bring it into force has yet been made.
    I may be wrong but I think the EU Withdrawal Act, which hasn't yet got the memo about Exit Day changing, automatically repeals that on Exit Day.
  • Options
    Baker Street is the greatest non-event in visiting fictional locations. However simply given its so uninteresting you're naturally drawn to suspect! But suspect what Watson!?
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

You keep saying this but I don't know why - the SI needs to be voted on - de facto you are correct that the UK won't leave on the 29th but there really is a reason the govt will be introducing an SI probably on Monday, it's not for laughs - and I just don't get your rationale for denying it, it's odd. Nobody has denied your point that the UK will still be a member of the EU after 29 March, just some people have gently pointed out you are mistaken about the need for further legal activity.

Here is the original question I responded to
    MTimT said:

No legislation is required to extend Article 50. We have extended Article 50.

No votes were taken, and yet it happened.

We will not leave on the 29th.

I don't know how much clearer I can make it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    She has up to the April date, max. Unless the deal passes, which it won't, in which case she might make it to the end of June while the Tories pick a new leader.
    I heard the the Minister of State at the Foreign Office Tobias Ellwood gamely plugging away for her on R4 earlier.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    matt said:

FF43 said:

i have memories of looking out the window and looking at 4 planes land at the same time. it was a new experience for me. I had never seen that before.
  • Options

rpjs said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

That’s EU law, not UK

I may be wrong but I think the EU Withdrawal Act, which hasn't yet got the memo about Exit Day changing, automatically repeals that on Exit Day.
    Peak PB.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Scott_P said:
    Nothing has really leaked from the investigation remarkably, Mueller has run a tight ship
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Would someone tell the medics that we are full members of the EU.

• Options
    that is just a sublime finish from Sterling
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156
    The pathetic commentators on ITV couldn't say which Czech players were kicking the ball. In years gone by memorizing the teams was part of their craft.
  • Options

MTimT said:

The EUWA says a minister can change Exit Day ‘by regulation’, which others on here think requires a simple vote of both Houses (and it was touted for Monday last time I saw). I’d expect only the hardline antis to vote against, no?
    Possible snag: there is no guillotine in the Lords, so a handful for hard Brexiteers might filibuster it if it was laid close to March 29, in which case we'd crash out even if the Commons voted 5-1 to stay. Would conclude the episode in a suitably farcical manner.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kingbongo said:

Here is the original question I responded to
    MTimT said:

No legislation is required to extend Article 50. We have extended Article 50.

No votes were taken, and yet it happened.

We will not leave on the 29th.

I don't know how much clearer I can make it.
    I expect the ERG usual suspects will oppose the neutral programme motion on Monday noting the outcome of the summit, so they'll have their chance to register their opposition.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

The pathetic commentators on ITV couldn't say which Czech players were kicking the ball. In years gone by memorizing the teams was part of their craft.

ITV coverage has been absymal for years.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,310
    matt said:

FF43 said:

Busiest airport in the world, 107 million passengers last year.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,598
    edited March 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

that is just a sublime finish from Sterling

Brilliant - he's been exceptional tonight. Tough one for the Daily Mail sports writers.

Edit: As I typed that, hat trick. Superb.
  • Options
    Well, indeed.
    "Possible snag: there is no guillotine in the Lords"
  • Options

Possible snag: there is no guillotine in the Lords, so a handful for hard Brexiteers might filibuster it if it was laid close to March 29, in which case we'd crash out even if the Commons voted 5-1 to stay. Would conclude the episode in a suitably farcical manner.

We have extended Article 50 to an unspecified date.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The value of sterling must be approaching an all time high
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Even though May has annoyed the hell out of me and I have little time for her I still can’t help feeling sympathy at times for her .

I keep questioning how on earth I should even feel this . It’s bizarre . She almost has become a tragic figure , without allies .

Her WA in terms of an orderly departure isn’t bad. I think if one is honest no one could have done much better.

My biggest problem is her failure to make any efforts to unite the country . Indeed she became a hostage of her Remain vote and over compensated . She allowed the ERG and right wing press to drive her into bad decisions . She put down red lines without seeing the pitfalls further down the line .

The country is hopelessly divided , I’ve never seen the country in such a horrible mess . It’s sad to see so much anger , with friends falling out , families at war .

When the country needed someone who would make a red line of unifying , instead May stood by and let the divisions grow and sometimes added to them .

Indeed if she had said my red line is that , I think many would have applauded her regardless of how they voted in the EU ref .

Because she never did that and ignored Remainers , she essentially said you lost suck it up and you’re not important . The only people that matter are Leavers , ignoring the 48% who felt they were written out of their own future .

This has just entrenched Remainers . Many who were initially willing to accept the result , wanted to feel that the country still belonged to them as much as Leavers.

The ERG are also to blame because they’ve hijacked the vote to deliver a narrative that only their version of pure Brexit will do . The media have played along , failing to hold them to account , allowing them to deliver a constant barrage of misinformation such as the Article 24 of GATT WTO . Which they peddle even though they know it’s a lie and have been told so by trade experts .

Remainers don’t want a UK delivered by ERG . That is not a country that we can accept. The fear of the capitalists on steroids , the destruction of the welfare state etc is why many Remainers have said enough is enough .

I still hope that a way forward can be found that can heal some of the divisions but it’s really hard to see how .

I’m not really angry now just sad at what’s happened to the UK .
  • Options
    matt said:

FF43 said:

Atlanta is an awful city, I’ve no idea why anyone would want to live there.

However, it does have The Optimist, which is a superb seafood restaurant and would almost certainly be starred were it in a more Michelin-friendly locale.
  • Options

rpjs said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

matt said:

matt said:

You wot?

Sessions.

Cricklewood.
    Truth or Dare.

My Turn.

Who is next?
    Some of A Very Peculiar Practice was filmed at Keele, which the University was still talking about when I was there in the early 90s.
    It didn't look much different from when I was there in the 60s.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

The worst kind of shroud waving. Brexit could cause a range of supply chain challenges, but the EpiPen shortage has been going on for some time, is global, and relates to flaws in the safety measures used during the manufacturing process, nothing to do with Brexit (indeed how would it have buggered the supply chain, we remain in the EU).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(18)30344-4/fulltext
    Yeah, nothing to do with Brexit, but a real pharma scandal. Epipens have a worrying failure rate, are ridiculously expensive and now a shortage item.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Yeah because all those signatures are unique and real voters who didn't vote last time.

*rolleyes*
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

matt said:

FF43 said:

Atlanta is an awful city, I’ve no idea why anyone would want to live there.

However, it does have The Optimist, which is a superb seafood restaurant and would almost certainly be starred were it in a more Michelin-friendly locale.
    That ring road...what a f##king nightmare.
  • Options
    Geoff

I noticed that - very poor as you say and disrespectful to our opponents.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Scott_P said:

We have extended Article 50 to an unspecified date.
    Who to believe? Scott or Dr Palmer? ;)
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    If you are a concerned citizen worried about climate change are you a citizen of the world?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Who to believe? Scott or Dr Palmer? ;)

Sir Tim Barrow...

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1109135605898887168
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:
    Unless the public give the wrong answer of course
  • Options

MTimT said:

The EUWA says a minister can change Exit Day ‘by regulation’, which others on here think requires a simple vote of both Houses (and it was touted for Monday last time I saw). I’d expect only the hardline antis to vote against, no?
    The HOL can change the rules to stop a filibuster and if the Commons pass it then anyone in the HOL trying to force a no deal would be in big trouble !
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Bad news for Casino. He takes up a lot of space so it will make it look like there are more people.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Genuine question: which bit?

The first 4 paragraphs are, IMV, fairly close to apple pie.

The 4 specific examples seem self-evidently examples of bad behaviour

It’s only paragraphs 5 & 6 that could be remotely controversial

Lots of us think we're citizens of the world, though it's a bit pompous to say so. May's speech explicitly associates that with four examples of bad behaviour, in order to seek party political advantage.

If you imagine she'd been talking about the British, and giving examples of various con-men, thugs and nutters - wouldn't you feel it was a bit insulting?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Chris said:

Oh, for God's sake, the trifling things people will fuss about.

We're talking about freedom, liberty, self-determination - TAKING BACK CONTROL. Whole political careers are here for the making. Please don't give us boring stuff about sick kids ...
    It's almost funny how stupid you make yourself look at times.

As you may have seen this story actually has NOTHING at all to do with brexit.
  • Options

rpjs said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

That’s EU law, not UK

Only. If. Section. One. Is. COMMENCED.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yeah because all those signatures are unique and real voters who didn't vote last time.

*rolleyes*
    The process is much more rigid. You can’t try to multivote as it picks up your IP address even if you had more than one email account . There are of course likely to be some trying to pull a fast one but so far this has not been a big problem .

Trying to trash the petition on grounds it’s dodgy seems a bit desperate , if however you want to deride it as unlikely to change much in the Commons then you’d have a stronger point .

It would need to get to an extraordinary level to do that .
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Scott_P said:
    What has the number got todo with the majority. How do we know that any are conservative voter who will vote against their MP?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Bad news for Casino. He takes up a lot of space so it will make it look like there are more people.
    To be fair, Watson is half the man he used to be!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978
    Scott_P said:
    Chipping Barnet LOL. Taxi for Theresa!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scott_P said:
    Are we three or two episodes from the end of this season?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Scott_P said:
    What has the number got todo with the majority. How do we know that any are conservative voter who will vote against their MP?
    How do we know anybody signing is over 18?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Chipping Barnet LOL. Taxi for Theresa!
    p.s. Everyone knows Zac is a gonner.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Pulpstar said:

The value of sterling must be approaching an all time high

Hopefully it will shut the racists up for a bit.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    Very big rumours on Twitter of impending Julian Assange arrest, as yet unconfirmed.
  • Options

Not any more he doesn’t. Watson has lost about seven stone

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/sep/12/tom-watson-lost-seven-stone-reversed-type-2-diabetes-interview
  • Options

Unless the Remain march tomorrow attracts more than 50 attendees, it will be beaten by the Leave march.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    Apparently there will be some spin-off shows. From the NYT: "Even though Mr. Mueller's report is complete, some aspects of his inquiry remain active and may be overseen by the same prosecutors once they are reassigned to their old jobs within the Justice Department. For instance, recently filed court documents suggest that investigators are still examining why the former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort turned over campaign polling data in 2016 to a Russian associate whom prosecutors said was tied to Russian intelligence."
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Unless the Remain march tomorrow attracts more than 50 attendees, it will be beaten by the Leave march.
    It's got to be touch and go between the two?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    _Anazina_ said:

Not any more he doesn’t. Watson has lost about seven stone

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/sep/12/tom-watson-lost-seven-stone-reversed-type-2-diabetes-interview
    Just goes to show how tricksy these remainer types are.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    rpjs said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    Apparently there will be some spin-off shows. From the NYT: "Even though Mr. Mueller's report is complete, some aspects of his inquiry remain active and may be overseen by the same prosecutors once they are reassigned to their old jobs within the Justice Department. For instance, recently filed court documents suggest that investigators are still examining why the former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort turned over campaign polling data in 2016 to a Russian associate whom prosecutors said was tied to Russian intelligence."
    One question is what he has to say about Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Living memory?!?

An unduly lenient verdict.

Most people can't trace their family history back far enough to be contemporaneous with a worse PM.
This discussion has been closed.