Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With all the questions over TMay’s future punters it a tad les

13»

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What is IDS driving there? Looks interesting.
    Morgan Roadster. He's exactly the type of prick who would have one.
    What's wrong with them?
    They are shoddily built overpriced junk bought by mugs.

There are a lot of ways in which they are technically deficient but the sliding pillar front suspension is particularly egregious - a technology that was largely abandoned by the motor industry before WW2. It is very maintenance intensive and doesn't camber out under compression which gives the car absolutely savage handling characteristics.

It's a rolling metaphor for Brexit: a poorly executed pastiche of something that never actually existed.
    Cheers. Unless it is an E-Type which I have loved since I was a kid, a car is just a box to get me comfortably from A to B so I have never paid much attention to anything beyond is it comfortable and is it reliable. I drive a Galaxy which is a breize block on wheels. But it will carry all manner of rubbish in the back and doesn't break down much.
    Scanning through this morning I found this, with which I can completely agree. Comfort, safety and reliability are what I want in a car, plus of course economy. I've had one fairly flash car in my life; a Golf Cabriolet, which, in my (and my wife's) 40's was one late despairing effort to recapture the spirit of youth...... open top, wind in hair, etc.
    The family had grown up and had cars of their own so the fact that there wasn't much space in the back wasn't a problem!
    I do not drive so am driven in a great range of minicabs, from which my conclusions are that Priuses are very smooth, and Ford makes the best seats.
    If I lived somewhere with better public transport, I might well not own a car. People asked us, when I retired and we went down to one car, how we were going to manage, but we're fine. The only place that's really inaccessible without a car is the gym! And I suppose a taxi wouldn't be that expensive.
    Walk to the gym, walk home again, and skip the bit in the middle. And the membership fee.
    LOL. Desirable, but, given the roads, dangerous. And currently impossible, but as soon as I've got my back sorted I plan to get back to walking.
    Anyway I like the discipline of the gym. Having a routine.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

alex. said:
    I can't even work out which ones are supposed to be serious any more.
    It's a variant of Norway - full membership of customs union and single market, though I think without free movement and certainly without participation in the Parliament etc. The name is designed to appeal to the folk who said "I voted in 1975 for a trading union, not a political union."
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Dura_Ace said:

Corbo is going full Marty Feldman. Could this be the beginning of the end?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-corbyn-admits-he-is-being-treated-for-eye-condition-th5dhlpcd

Let's hope so. If May's dithering is now bordering on treason, Corbyn's is hardly better. At least May has a plan, even if she can't implement it.

Change at the top of both parties is needed to break the logjam. It isn't all the solution, but it would be a start.

(And in saying that I am assuming the Left candidate to replace Corbyn would be one of Long Bailey or Pidcock, and that not even the Labour membership would be mad enough to vote for them, and that one of the current cabinet would replace May.)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

There are a lot of ways in which they are technically deficient but the sliding pillar front suspension is particularly egregious - a technology that was largely abandoned by the motor industry before WW2. It is very maintenance intensive and doesn't camber out under compression which gives the car absolutely savage handling characteristics.

It's a rolling metaphor for Brexit: a poorly executed pastiche of something that never actually existed.
    Cheers. Unless it is an E-Type which I have loved since I was a kid, a car is just a box to get me comfortably from A to B so I have never paid much attention to anything beyond is it comfortable and is it reliable. I drive a Galaxy which is a breize block on wheels. But it will carry all manner of rubbish in the back and doesn't break down much.
    Scanning through this morning I found this, with which I can completely agree. Comfort, safety and reliability are what I want in a car, plus of course economy. I've had one fairly flash car in my life; a Golf Cabriolet, which, in my (and my wife's) 40's was one late despairing effort to recapture the spirit of youth...... open top, wind in hair, etc.
    The family had grown up and had cars of their own so the fact that there wasn't much space in the back wasn't a problem!
    I do not drive so am driven in a great range of minicabs, from which my conclusions are that Priuses are very smooth, and Ford makes the best seats.
    If I lived somewhere with better public transport, I might well not own a car. People asked us, when I I suppose a taxi wouldn't be that expensive.
    Walk to the gym, walk home again, and skip the bit in the middle. And the membership fee.
    LOL. Desirable, but, given the roads, dangerous. And currently impossible, but as soon as I've got my back sorted I plan to get back to walking.
    I believe the concept works even if you don't make a gym the destination ;)

I hope things improve for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

alex. said:
    It's a variant of Norway - full membership of customs union and single market, though I think without free movement and certainly without participation in the Parliament etc. The name is designed to appeal to the folk who said "I voted in 1975 for a trading union, not a political union."
    So we'd be cherry picking the best bits...

...wait...didn't I hear that before somewhere?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

If I lived somewhere with better public transport, I might well not own a car. People asked us, when I I suppose a taxi wouldn't be that expensive.

Thanks; very early days, but there is some improvement.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I had a friend once who used to say he was walking to the gym. His excuse, when found in a pub with a clear liquid in front of him, was that he lisped.

Agree with your second sentence.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    edited March 2019
    Dura_Ace said:

Corbo is going full Marty Feldman. Could this be the beginning of the end?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-corbyn-admits-he-is-being-treated-for-eye-condition-th5dhlpcd

He has a prism in his glasses to treat it, and only one muscle mentioned, so possibly an Abducens nerve palsy. Generally these are microvascular and recover within 6 weeks or so, as Norman Lamb's did last year. It could be more significant if it was myasthenia gravis or similar, which requires long term treatment.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

OT. Yesterday evening I wrote this;

"Strangest thing in the S of France. From Nice to the other side of Beaulieu is in complete lockdown. No boats in the water no cars on the road and all entrances in and out of Beaulieu and Cap ferrat blocked. Just Gendarmes everywhere. It's like the Marie Celeste"

Today I discovered why; Macron was meeting Chinese President Xi Jinping at the Villa Karylos in Beaulieu to discuss a trade deal.

Two thoughts.

1. It's sad to think that Emanuelle Macron and the EU are laying out the red carpet to do a trade deal with China when Theresa May is doing her laundry.

2. What a strange impression Xi Jinping must have of the finest coastline in the world. No cars no boats and no people!

But no gilet jeunes. The lockdown wasn't to spare Xi's blushes.....
    I don't think the gilet jaunes have found their way to the south yet but it did occur to me that might be why they decided not to meet in Paris.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I had a friend once who used to say he was walking to the gym. His excuse, when found in a pub with a clear liquid in front of him, was that he lisped.

Agree with your second sentence.
    Thanks; I felt I had to take action about my back and legs when walking to the piub became problematic.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

Cheers. Unless it is an E-Type which I have loved since I was a kid, a car is just a box to get me comfortably from much.

It's very hard to know until everything settles down and heals up. Which in my case took a couple of months.
  • Options
    Roger said:

OT. Yesterday evening I wrote this;

"Strangest thing in the S of France. From Nice to the other side of Beaulieu is in complete lockdown. No boats in the water no cars on the road and all entrances in and out of Beaulieu and Cap ferrat blocked. Just Gendarmes everywhere. It's like the Marie Celeste"

Today I discovered why; Macron was meeting Chinese President Xi Jinping at the Villa Karylos in Beaulieu to discuss a trade deal.

Two thoughts.

1. It's sad to think that Emanuelle Macron and the EU are laying out the red carpet to do a trade deal with China when Theresa May is doing her laundry.

2. What a strange impression Xi Jinping must have of the finest coastline in the world. No cars no boats and no people!

Just one of several incipient deals that we are Leaving.

https://twitter.com/EUinAus/status/1109964860186607616?s=19

Just as well we have Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Liam Fox doing the hard yards for Brexit Britain.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    ydoethur said:

alex. said:

Quite. It’s not on offer, so ‘variant’ is disingenuous.

Norway, however, would make sense.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?
    Cheers. Unless it is an E-Type which I have loved since I was a kid, a car is just a box to get me comfortably from much.

It's very hard to know until everything settles down and heals up. Which in my case took a couple of months.
    Thanks; I'm not expecting to make more than slow progress. Can't expect rapid healing of things at my age.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019

alex. said:
    So in other words, pie in the sky again. The EU and EEA will never anything like that.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

If I lived somewhere with better public transport, I might well not own a car. People asked us, when I retired and we went down to one car, how we were going to manage, but we're fine. The only place that's really inaccessible without a car is the gym! And I suppose a taxi wouldn't be that expensive.
    Gyms are both unpleasant, and a rip off.
    If you train with free weights you don’t really have much of an option.

I have to say I really enjoy training in the gym now. Weirdly I like leg day best.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:
    It would be very amusing to see all these wily, hardened national political veterans upstaged by such a person (it was less amusing when Trump upstaged political veterans). Who's running South Bend while he is doing all this though?
    Is not an ability to delegate essential in a presidential candidate ?

• Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

Thanks; I'm not expecting to make more than slow progress. Can't expect rapid healing of things at my age.
    True. In one way that's maybe an advantage in that the healing can create significant problems depending on how the scar tissue forms; hence the walking and whatever exercise routine you have been given.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    F1: the title winner without the big 6 market is back up on Ladbrokes.

At the moment, we have points of:
    Magnussen 8
    Hulkenberg 6
    Raikkonen 4
    Stroll 2
    Kvyat 1

Hulkenberg was very close to Magnussen's pace during the race. Inability to pass was likely more due to the circuit than anything else. However, at slower races I think the Renault might be superior, as it likely still has a power deficit, and if it can more or less keep up on a circuit which I think has power as a large factor then on slower circuits like Monaco, the Renault might be better.

That said, Haas performed very well throughout last year.

Magnussen's odds are 4.33, Hulkenberg's 5.5. A third the odds top 2 is available.

Grosjean is 5.5, Ricciardo 6.5.

There's also a Constructors' market without the big 3, of which Renault at 2.75 may be best value but that's pretty short for a season long bet.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

I have to say I really enjoy training in the gym now. Weirdly I like leg day best.
    I find it quite a social occasion.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

Why can’t you do that at home? In the garage?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?
    Scanning through this morning I found this, with !

Yes, healing takes time, but important to mobilise in order to keep muscle strength. NHS physio can be patchy, but this is crucial. A bit extra in the private sector may be a good investment.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    If there are European elections I intend to break the habits of a lifetime and not vote. I strongly suspect that many other leavers will feel the same which, given the embarrassingly low level of participation under normal circumstances, will make turnout truly derisory and the results a crap shoot. It is entirely possible that the remainer candidates may do way better than expected as I would expect differential turnout between remainers and leavers to be extreme.

It would be more than a tad ironic if remainer candidates became a force for stability in the new Parliament.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

True. In one way that's maybe an advantage in that the healing can create significant problems depending on how the scar tissue forms; hence the walking and whatever exercise routine you have been given.
    My wife is very enthusiatic about monitoring me on the latter!😀
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    W
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

alex. said:

Quite. It’s not on offer, so ‘variant’ is disingenuous.

Norway, however, would make sense.

Only if you think keeping FOM honours the referendum result.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

Yes, healing takes time, but important to mobilise in order to keep muscle strength. NHS physio can be patchy, but this is crucial. A bit extra in the private sector may be a good investment.
    The nearest bottle bank is about two minutes walk away. I'm emptying our store of 'contents used and enjoyed' bottles one by one, twice a day. Can't, atm, carry more than one!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    edited March 2019

Just catching up... so Mueller turns out to be a damp squib, is that right?

On the core question of whether the president of the United States is actually a Russian agent, yes. Whether he's a crook is not proven, but people, especially his supporters, have already priced that in. Mueller has put an impressive number of Trump minions behind bars.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

alex. said:
    That’s unicorns and cake again. If you want membership of single market you need free movement of labour. They have held that line without budging since article 50 was triggered. This is madness.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

I find it quite a social occasion.
    I go to the gym about once a week but I have never been to an organised gym class in my life. My time at the gym is spent listening to my music and speaking to nobody. It's bliss and I am sure it does me as much good as the exercise.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    notme2 said:

alex. said:
    That’s unicorns and cake again. If you want membership of single market you need free movement of labour. They have held that line without budging since article 50 was triggered. This is madness.
    Common Market 2.0 as it’s now called would include freedom of movement but with a few more restrictions . The EEA Treaties allow for freedom of workers , there’s also the emergency brake on immigration but that’s not so far been used by any country. And it’s questionable how that would happen.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?
    There are a lot of ways in which they are technically deficient but the sliding pillar front suspenndling characteristics.

Good to hear. Time is also a great healer.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

Why can’t you do that at home? In the garage?
    Motivation. Without some formal routine or structure workouts often lapse. Hence why those "ab master" type products rarely work.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    IanB2 said:

Just crap. It is their impossibility to please that he appears blind to.
    Yes, she did her best to appease them but they won't take yes for an answer.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

notme2 said:

alex. said:
    Common Market 2.0 as it’s now called would include freedom of movement but with a few more restrictions . The EEA Treaties allow for freedom of workers , there’s also the emergency brake on immigration but that’s not so far been used by any country. And it’s questionable how that would happen.
    With much difficulty in the UK. The clue is in the name. As was noted pre Ref a country which accommodates millions of tourists each year would find it tricky to activate the immigration-based emergency brake.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I know the Mueller Report was something of an unknown before, but I do remain shocked that Trump to be renominated was 1.67 on Betfair as recently as the first week of January.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    nico67 said:

notme2 said:

alex. said:
    Isn't that what Cameron got in the renegotiation? Genuine Q, I can't remember.
  • Options
    OLD THREAD
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Royale,

One advantage of a gym is the fee, it keeps you going just to get your moneys worth. Up here, I pay £9.99 a month (no discount for oldies). I have a long shower and save money on home energy use that way.

But keeping fit negates my beer drinking to some extent and you feel better afterwards.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I go to the gym about once a week but I have never been to an organised gym class in my life. My time at the gym is spent listening to my music and speaking to nobody. It's bliss and I am sure it does me as much good as the exercise.

Yes, that was my experience when I first joined a gym aged 41. Have quit though at the start of this year due to the new job and never being at home long enough to use it.

And yes, my health - both mental and physical - has slipped a little since I stopped going. Using a hotel gym once a week / lengthy spells of walking every now and then just isn't the same.
  • Options
    That this isn't fully understood is another reason why if we get close to it, I still think the plug will be pulled.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

Recommending the private sector Dr Foxy. Have you seen the light
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Quincel said:

nico67 said:

notme2 said:

alex. said:
    Isn't that what Cameron got in the renegotiation? Genuine Q, I can't remember.
    He managed to get some restrictions to benefits . But no emergency brake . Current EU law does allow more restrictions on freedom of movement than the UK ever bothered to use .
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

What's wrong with them?

Recommending the private sector Dr Foxy. Have you seen the light
    I work in private practice too.

It works best for lower priority elective care, as this gets squeezed out of the NHS by more pressing priorities. Post op physio being a prime example.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
This discussion has been closed.