Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Both TMay and Corbyn drop to record lows in YouGov’s favourabi

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Danny565 said:

Telegraph reporting Letwin on 310 votes at the moment. Time for Rudd, Guake and Clark to resign to get it over the line.

LMAO - they will still be sitting in the Cabinet, the day after we leave with No Deal, briefing the papers about how jolly cross they are with the policy that they're enabling.
    Could well be. A lot of gutless people out there.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    kle4 said:

So many meetings, so little concluded after them. What do they spend their time doing at all these meetings? Same goes with the DUP and the endless 'constructive' talks they have on things.
    Sounds like they are perfectly suited for a stint in academia where one often finds there are meetings about the meeting, which itself is about how to proceed...

kle4 said:

So many meetings, so little concluded after them. What do they spend their time doing at all these meetings? Same goes with the DUP and the endless 'constructive' talks they have on things.
    Sounds like they are perfectly suited for a stint in academia where one often finds there are meetings about the meeting, which itself is about how to proceed...
    It's most of what I do with my days too, but it is disheartening to see MPs do it so brazenly too.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,724
    Scott_P said:
    In any case, on finding that the Grand Wizards formerly included a Duke, they would doubtless have been convinced.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Tory Soames will vote for Letwin.

They are both passionate Remainers. Are we supposed to be surprised?
    Remainer seems to be Toryspeak for Blairite.
  • I've always wanted to join the Ku Klux Klan.

So I could find out which washing powder they used to get their outfits so white.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    Danny565 said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    There has to be something seriously wrong with a pollsters methodology if they come up with a UKIP score of 9%. I guess it can be used as a measure of how many people would vote for an exclusively pro Brexit party
    Opinium were one of the more accurate pollsters in the last 2 general elections.

It seems diehard Leavers are back to a UKIP protest vote and a plague on all their houses.

UKIP now polling closer to 2015 than 2017 levels
    Yes but they have no hope of fielding enough candididates to get 3% if there were a GE this year
    Are you still a UKIP member/supporter?
    No not a UKIP member anymore, I don't really support any party.

I've always wanted to join the Ku Klux Klan.

So I could find out which washing powder they used to get their outfits so white.

You have to feel sorry for Mrs KKM member as I bet you are the ones having to get them clean.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    There has to be something seriously wrong with a pollsters methodology if they come up with a UKIP score of 9%. I guess it can be used as a measure of how many people would vote for an exclusively pro Brexit party
    Opinium were one of the more accurate pollsters in the last 2 general elections.

It seems diehard Leavers are back to a UKIP protest vote and a plague on all their houses.

UKIP now polling closer to 2015 than 2017 levels
    Yes but they have no hope of fielding enough candididates to get 3% if there were a GE this year
    Mr Farage's new Brexit Party could though and will also likely have lots of dosh from Banks and his wealthy contacts
    Who is in it apart from Farage?! I think he could do well if he stood somewhere but the SDP is the best vehicle to get wide ranging support I think
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Tory Soames will vote for Letwin.

They are both passionate Remainers. Are we supposed to be surprised?
    Remainer seems to be Toryspeak for Blairite.
    Tory seems to be Corbynista-speak for Blairite?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Imagine doing the Daz doorstep challenge in KKK country. "How white are your whites?"
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

Telegraph reporting Letwin on 310 votes at the moment. Time for Rudd, Guake and Clark to resign to get it over the line.

What? So we've gone through day after day hearing nothing other than how Parliament is going to "take control" and it's not even guaranteed? :D
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,874
    So, if - as I expect -MPs do fail, once again, to take any responsibility for shaping the Brexit deal tonight, what happens next? Surely it has to be May’s Deal.

Imagine doing the Daz doorstep challenge in KKK country. "How white are your whites?"
    Brilliant! :joy:
    Isn't it past the bedtime of about half the England team tonight?
  • So which organisation is more likely to accept me as a member

1) The KKK

or

2) Batten's UKIP
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Is that account Tim or the editor of the Evening Standard? I lose track.

So, if - as I expect -MPs do fail, once again, to take any responsibility for shaping the Brexit deal tonight, what happens next? Surely it has to be May’s Deal.

You're expecting MPs to act rationally?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

It will still be in the top three biggest public attendance events ever in the UK, and probably the second after the Stop the Iraq War march of 2003.

The point they are making in that article is that numbers are always overestimated.

The Countryside Alliance got some pretty big crowds at their various demonstrations during the Blair premiership.
    The official police numbers for the 2002 CA march was 400,000. Made not a blind bit of difference of course. I was on that one.
  • I've always wanted to join the Ku Klux Klan.

Hah.

So which organisation is more likely to accept me as a member

1) The KKK

or

2) Batten's UKIP

The KKK for sure. Watch BlacKkKlansman. Its a great film.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    GIN1138 said:

What? So we've gone through day after day hearing nothing other than how Parliament is going to "take control" and it's not even guaranteed? :D
    Yep, one lesson of this period is that when some MP says "there is a majority in the house for xyz." Then they do not have a clue.
  • So which organisation is more likely to accept me as a member

1) The KKK

or

2) Batten's UKIP

The KKK for sure. Watch BlacKkKlansman. Its a great film.
    Loved that film.
    edited March 2019
    Oh bugger.....
    edited March 2019

Sunil doorstep challenge in Germany!

• TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Isn't it past the bedtime of about half the England team tonight?

They just went to sleep.
    From Twitter it would appear the Tory MPs are mostly in back rooms trying to twist the arms of their ERG colleagues.
  • Sounds plausible about the Grand Wizards.

https://twitter.com/gphb/status/1110270942582849538
  • Oh bugger.....

Humbled by a small Balkan nation, which uses the Euro. Better get used to it.
    ydoethur said:

You're expecting MPs to act rationally?

I’m hoping just over half of them do. At some stage they have to put the country first.

• Oh bugger.....

Everton players at fault for that goal.

Sounds plausible about the Grand Wizards.

https://twitter.com/gphb/status/1110270942582849538

I don't think there's anything grand about them. Unless we're talking about Rees-Mogg's several hundred grand.

Lidington committed to a "where now?" debate toward the end of this week. But had no more detail.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879
    I might be totally wrong, but the Letwin amendment + STV seems by far the best chance Theresa May has of getting her deal through.

Presumably second referendum, No Deal, Revoke will be swiftly knocked out. Leaving the ERG/DUP a choice between Labour Brexit or Tory Brexit.

What have I missed?

It's a bizarre situation if they don't step up. What are they even there for, and what about all those whingers going on about how dreadfully May ignores them (which is true) if they still refuse to collectively do anything about it?

One thing I am confident about is they absoultely won't go for the deal. Whatever any rational arguments for it at this point may or may not be, it seems pretty clear that mentally that is one option that enough MPs have decided is just plain done. It's about the only thing they've decided, and they will stick to that for want of anything else/
    'I am opposed to all compromises on offer'. But totally not a fanatic, I'm sure.
    GIN1138 said:

May will have to pull out all the stops with an even worse nothing has changed statement, this time delivered while leaping out of a moving airplane for dramatic effect, until they pick up the hint and take control from her.

Oh bugger.....

But not in the EU quite yet...
  • Oh bugger.....

But not in the EU quite yet...
    They're in CEFTA - wonder if they'd take us. Opening up the crucial Albanian market.
    edited March 2019

At some stage they have to put the country first.

Really? There's a precious little sign of that, I fear. Third rate wazzocks who would be chucked of the Communist Party of the Uzbek SSR for being too self-seeking.

I've very reluctantly come to the conclusion it's not revoking the referendum result that will destroy our democratic system ('reluctantly' because that can be avoided). It's the atrocious quality of the members it produces that already has destroyed it.

We need a total clearout, somehow.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Pulpstar said:

I love the way 2nd referendumers have switched to this "confirmation" of whatever the house decides. The house needs to decide to allow the public another referendum, it isn't simply some process matter that can be tacked onto Corbyn's Customs Unicorn or whatever is agreed.

Yes it does need to decide. But it also first needs to decide what the confirmation vote is about. Is it May's Deal or Norway+ or what? It should be whatever has the most support in parliament. Then parliament needs to decide whether to put it to a public vote.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706

Oh bugger.....

We beat the Czechs on Friday and they are in the EU, Remain voting Scotland lost to Kazakhstan last week
    Need to get the England players on IV drips.of red bull at half time.
  • rkrkrk said:

I might be totally wrong, but the Letwin amendment + STV seems by far the best chance Theresa May has of getting her deal through.

Presumably second referendum, No Deal, Revoke will be swiftly knocked out. Leaving the ERG/DUP a choice between Labour Brexit or Tory Brexit.

What have I missed?

Lidington proposed AV the other day.

Personally I'd go for the quasi-AV the Tory Party uses to elect its leader.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited March 2019
    Heseltine is correct, anything"softer" than May's deal is the same as remaining without political representation apart from (possibly) agriculture and fishing. It is revoke or back deal, for God's sake make a decision!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

It will still be in the top three biggest public attendance events ever in the UK, and probably the second after the Stop the Iraq War march of 2003.

The point they are making in that article is that numbers are always overestimated.

The Countryside Alliance got some pretty big crowds at their various demonstrations during the Blair premiership.
    The official police numbers for the 2002 CA march was 400,000. Made not a blind bit of difference of course. I was on that one.
    We might have bumped into each other there Richard.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    In any case, on finding that the Grand Wizards formerly included a Duke, they would doubtless have been convinced.
    Is is true that the KKK are suing? They don’t want to be associated with that kind of extremism.
    England equalise
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    HYUFD said:

Oh bugger.....

We beat the Czechs on Friday and they are in the EU, Remain voting Scotland lost to Kazakhstan last week
    *amends betting strategy according to referendum results*
    *loses all his money*

EQUALISER!

*greens out by chance*
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    Is is true that the KKK are suing? They don’t want to be associated with that kind of extremism.
    They've fired up?
    edited March 2019
    Suffolk Tory MP moaning that Romanian and Polish immigrants have been replaced by Indians and Chinese. Edit/ or more strictly that his constituents are apparently so moaning.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited March 2019
    You can imagine the more nuttier* elements of the ERG putting burning EU flags in the gardens of EU citizens living in the UK.

*Horrendous tautology I know.

rkrkrk said:

What have I missed?

If PB has to discuss AV and Brexit in the same thread then the universe will explode.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Who is the bloke up now boring on about immigration?
  • Drutt said:

rkrkrk said:

What have I missed?

If PB has to discuss AV and Brexit in the same thread then the universe will explode.
    Ahem.

Published twenty two days ago.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/03/03/a-second-referendum-conducted-under-av-maybe-the-only-way-to-end-the-brexit-impasse/
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Drutt said:

rkrkrk said:

What have I missed?

Depends what the snacks are and what music would be playing in the background.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    FF43 said:

At the risk of setting you know who off, I think that figure is an underestimate of participation. It might be a true reflection of how many people followed the official march - and even then they don't seem to have allowed for the fact that the march was continually getting new feeds at the back through the afternoon - but there were also considerable crowds joining at Green Park and a large gathering of people at St James Park big enough to have their own stage. (Not sure what it was - anyone know?). My estimate is the true figure is closer to 900,000.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    LOL, they are the most gullible idiots in Westminster.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

FF43 said:

At the risk of setting you know who off, I think that figure is an underestimate of participation. It might be a true reflection of how many people followed the official march - and even then they don't seem to have allowed for the fact that the march was continually getting new feeds at the back through the afternoon - but there were also considerable crowds joining at Green Park and a large gathering of people at St James Park big enough to have their own stage. (Not sure what it was - anyone know?). My estimate is the true figure is closer to 900,000.
    I’ll have you know that St James Park has a capacity of 52,000 👌
    Tbf they have at last won ruling out no deal (without parliament agreement) today.
    England score again to take the lead

Drutt said:

rkrkrk said:

What have I missed?

Ahem.

Published twenty two days ago.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/03/03/a-second-referendum-conducted-under-av-maybe-the-only-way-to-end-the-brexit-impasse/
    Oooh. Missed this. Must keep commenting though as it brings goooooaaallls.
  • TOPPING said:

Drutt said:

rkrkrk said:

What have I missed?

Depends what the snacks are and what music would be playing in the background.
    I very nearly put in some Radiohead lyrics into a recent Brexit thread.

What the hell am I doing here?
    I don't belong here.
    I don't care if it hurts
    I want to have control
    Danny565 said:

That's up against some pretty stiff competition!
    Danny565 said:

Not quite. There are still people out there who believe the last Labour manifesto was fully costed.

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

I think the CA number is pretty solid because they gathered all the attendees in Hyde Park in one place making them easy to count. I assume that was deliberate. These rustic types not being wise to the wiles of city folk who let everyone mill around everywhere and then just claim the biggest number they can say with a straight face.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951
    HYUFD said:

Having Macedonians sing "Are you Scotland in disguise"? must have shamed them into some activity.....

FF43 said:

Are you sure?

FF43 said:

Just googled it. It's area is 230000 sq metres. So you'd get nearly a million in it if you squeezed them and if there wasn't a body of water in the middle.

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

I think the CA number is pretty solid because they gathered all the attendees in Hyde Park in one place making them easy to count. I assume that was deliberate. These rustic types not being wise to the wiles of city folk who let everyone mill around everywhere and then just claim the biggest number they can say with a straight face.
    The irony of that post is just delicious - and I am assuming was deliberate.
  • HYUFD said:

Having Macedonians sing "Are you Scotland in disguise"? must have shamed them into some activity.....
    Did you miss Scotland's 2-0 humbling of the mighty and Most Serene Republic of San Marino yesterday? What a performance, put me in mind of the '74 Holland team...

HYUFD said:

Aren't they playing Montenegro, not Macedonia?

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

I think you are confusing the 1997 rally and the 2004 march.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Aren't they playing Montenegro, not Macedonia?
    "Are you Macedonia in disguise?" is a popular Balkan soccer chant.
    England defence looking dodgier than a member of the trump family when asked about their finances.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Did you miss Scotland's 2-0 humbling of the mighty and Most Serene Republic of San Marino yesterday? What a performance, put me in mind of the '74 Holland team...

But Scotand still beat them...

HYUFD said:

More people live in the area covered by Epping Forest District Council than live in San Marino
    Danny565 said:

Ha, ha, ha. They are pathetic, aren’t they?

IanB2 said:

Tbf they have at last won ruling out no deal (without parliament agreement) today.

Have they?

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

The 400,000 was at the September 2002 march.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More people live in the area covered by Epping Forest District Council than live in San Marino
    Yes, I know - I've been to San Marino. Its quite nice.
    edited March 2019

IanB2 said:

Have they?

Yes May said the Commons having voted against No Deal and so far against her Deal the only alternative was to contest the European Parliament elections and a lengthy extension
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Not sure why some Remainers want more pro EU cabinet members to resign .

There needs to be a counterweight to the no deal fantasists in the cabinet so they need to stay . Lower ranking ones fine but not Secretary’s .

As it is May put in some alleged Remainers who then ditched that stance to suck up to the Tory Membership.

So we need the saner ones in there .

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

Sorry meant 2002.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Yes, I know - I've been to San Marino. Its quite nice.

The Grand Prix was excellent. While it lasted...
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

You can imagine the more nuttier* elements of the ERG putting burning EU flags in the gardens of EU citizens living in the UK.

Remainers seem to want to label all leavers as nutters , hardly the way to reconcile a divided nation
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

Sorry meant 2002.
    And yes I am getting confused.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If we’re talking about voting systems then might I note that the Approval Voting Method looks made for the indicative vote process:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/11/11/new-adventures-in-electoral-systems-approval-voting/
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

FF43 said:

Just googled it. It's area is 230000 sq metres. So you'd get nearly a million in it if you squeezed them and if there wasn't a body of water in the middle.
    52,388 to be exact.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited March 2019
    kjohnw said:

Remainers seem to want to label all leavers as nutters , hardly the way to reconcile a divided nation
    I guess English isn't your first language.

My comment was NOT directed at all leavers, I was precise in that it was focussed on the ERG.

I'm only using the language Leavers use towards the ERG.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,007
    TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

I was there too.

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

I was there too.
    Is this a new sport? Hunt the PB members on the CA March?

IanB2 said:

Have they?

The PM said quite specifically that recognising the view of the house, we wouldn't leave with no deal unless parliament so agreed.

It does in extremis raise the possibility of a last minute decision with only no deal or revoke as the available options (as some PB'ers I think have already suggested?) - but at least MPs will have the choice.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Countryside Alliance march? Was that the one when all the bumpkins came to London to thank them for subsidising their lifestyle so heavily?
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

kjohnw said:

I guess English isn't your first language.

My comment was NOT directed at all leavers, I was precise in that it was focussed on the ERG.

I'm only using the language Leavers use towards the ERG.
    Little Englanders loons fruitcakes swivel eyed thickos racists amongst the other terms remainers have labelled leavers since the referendum.

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

I was there too.
    +1
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

I was there too.
    Is this a new sport? Hunt the PB members on the CA March?
    Well they could hardly complain if somebody did hunt them.
This discussion has been closed.