Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2019 in General

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2019
    First....
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Meaningless exercise.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Ishmael_Z said:

Meaningless exercise.

Stay at home then :)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

When has that ever stopped anyone on here? :smile:

Edit - BTW, I never knew you were one of the Knights Who Like To Say Ni.

:-)

Well, quite, but I do not wish to contribute to falling standards.

My phrase to unsettle people is not 'Ni' it is 'fallopian tubes'.

When I sneak up on someone and whisper that in their ear, they run a mile.
    They think it's all ova.
    Is that all you've zygote?
    No, but if that's the best you can manage we should bring this contest to a period.
    Abort the pun? never!
    I'm not going to let a new thread de foetus.

Surrey are officially in a worse mess than the Conservative Party. 80-8.

//twitter.com/agrayphoto/status/1118537041594257409

Did he not talk to them? I thought he always liked a good protest. Or perhaps he mistook them for Daily Mail reporters.
    I am gluing myself to this new thread and not moving until Jezza comes and talks to me.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I think the biggest publicity will go to the winner and on today's poll that would be fairly clear. The public seem to be determined that this Brexit thing be done or damn the lot of you. Both mainstream parties could be badly damaged unless the issue is dealt with. I suspect if May's agreement or something close to it was passed most people might start to move on. Otherwise British politics will remain in an awful mess.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    FPT

You know, these European Parliament election thingys are fun. Can we keep them after we leave?
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Meaningless exercise.

I may do. I find it oddly difficult to predict my own state of mind. If other people find the same, there's a good reason for thinking opinion polls are bollocks.
    Peru's two-time president Alan García dies after shooting himself as police came to arrest him
    Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Meaningless exercise.

I may do. I find it oddly difficult to predict my own state of mind. If other people find the same, there's a good reason for thinking opinion polls are bollocks.
    I think I'm going to pick a random party and draw a cock and balls in the box.

It still counts...so maybe not quite random then. Not Brexit or Labour...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    He's always been fond of a bit of a jam.

Peru's two-time president Alan García dies after shooting himself as police came to arrest him

Wow.

That is quite a turn up. I don't know much about Peru - is that likely to cause riots?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Nigelb said:

He's always been fond of a bit of a jam.
    He's planning to sit on the fence later.
    edited April 2019
    ydoethur said:

Wow.

That is quite a turn up. I don't know much about Peru - is that likely to cause riots?
    It is to do with the Brazil car wash scandal. He was being arrested for taking bribes like a lot of the Brazilian politicians from construction companies.

No idea what that leads to.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited April 2019
    Labour need to come out hard for Remain. Quickly.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Labour need to come hard for Remain. Quickly.

Doesn’t this comment belong on the last thread?

*innocent face*
    Well, if all England's batsmen bat the way they did this afternoon, we'll be lucky to win a single session of international cricket this summer.

Surrey all out 88, lose by 147 runs.

Chris Dent on his own scored more runs than Surrey's top eight.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    What a typo!

ydoethur said:

Wow.

It is to do with the Brazil car wash scandal. He was being arrested for taking bribes like a lot of the Brazilian politicians from construction companies.

No idea what that leads to.
    Still wow. Crazy times.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    ydoethur said:

Well, if all England's batsmen bat the way they did this afternoon, we'll be lucky to win a single session of international cricket this summer.

Just go back to the tried and tested technique of selecting Yorkshire.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Meaningless exercise.

I'm not sure it would count. I've seen a heart drawn and that was counted because "the intention was clear" - not so sure about your proposed drawing.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Personally I would leave the Tories and Labour out of any calculations. I’m more interested in UKIP+Brexit Party+DUP vs LD, TIG, Green, PC, SNP & others
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    We got a today a YouGov poll on the Euro elections which had parties baking brexit, when aggregated with a small lead over the parties of remain.

Someone left a Brexit out in the rain, and I don't think that I can take it, 'cos it took so long to bake it, and we'll never have that recipe again ... oh no!

Spot on. Thought it was a typo at first.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Meaningless exercise.

It wouldn't necessarily count. A vote is only valid if there is a mark of clear [positive] intent. A cock and balls can easily (would probably) be considered a negative comment towards the party in question so not a mark of support and so I suspect would be counted as spoiled.

An 'X' across the entire ballot, for example, doesn't count for whichever candidate / party happened to be at the intersection (as would be the case for an X whose legs crossed 2/3 rows); it's viewed as a vote against all the candidates.

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Meaningless exercise.

I'm not sure it would count. I've seen a heart drawn and that was counted because "the intention was clear" - not so sure about your proposed drawing.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32658907/election-2015-mp-thanks-voter-for-penis-ballot-paper-mark
    A lucid moment for Andrew Adonis would be - a sign of the apocalypse?
    felix said:

I think the biggest publicity will go to the winner and on today's poll that would be fairly clear. The public seem to be determined that this Brexit thing be done or damn the lot of you. Both mainstream parties could be badly damaged unless the issue is dealt with. I suspect if May's agreement or something close to it was passed most people might start to move on. Otherwise British politics will remain in an awful mess.

On todays polling the "winner" has 27%.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1118403163038658560

36 days to take back control of Brexit !
    Personally, I object to politicians being protested at their homes, whether Jezza or JRM. Have some respect for their private lives and protest at public events only.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Putting the figures into Baxter (with Brexit in place of UKIP) gives

Brexit Party 290
    Labour 244
    SNP 53
    Lib Dem 35
    Conservative 4.

The four would presumably be Chris Chope, Mark Francois, Priti Patel, and John Redwood
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Dr. Foxy, much as I dislike Corbyn, I agree on that. Camping outside a politician's home is uncivilised behaviour.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960
    Pulpstar said:

36 days for Adonis to stock up on meds.....not sure his blood pressure will cope with the result.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547
    Is the noble lord still a member of the Conservative party?

And if so can we expect him to be slung out imminently?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

You know, these European Parliament election thingys are fun. Can we keep them after we leave?

You jest but there is something in this. Keep the elections, plus free movement of people, common standards around workers' rights, the environment, consumer protection, access to the ECJ and the ECHR, and also - pushing our luck a bit here - retain all of the excellent trade deals.

Passports, however, the darkest of dark blue, almost black, and UK only on the cover - therefore any charge of BINO rendered laughable.
    kinabalu said:

We got a today a YouGov poll on the Euro elections which had parties baking brexit, when aggregated with a small lead over the parties of remain.

Someone left a Brexit out in the rain, and I don't think that I can take it, 'cos it took so long to bake it, and we'll never have that recipe again ... oh no!

Spot on. Thought it was a typo at first.

Crumbs of comfort.....
    This is perhaps not a good look for O'Rourke, at least for the purpose of seeking the Democratic nomination...

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/439299-orourke-responds-to-criticism-of-charitable-contributions
    Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke on Tuesday evening responded to criticism about the small amount of charitable donations (c. 0.3% of income) reported on his tax returns, saying that he contributes by serving in public office.

"I've served in public office since 2005. I do my best to contribute to the success of my community, of my state and now of my country," O'Rourke, a former El Paso city council member and Texas congressman said at an event at the University of Virginia...

• Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Interesting spat on Twitter from Hugo Rifkind, arguing that the EU elections (if they happen) are a defacto referendum on Brexit, and bemoaning the fact that one party will have Brexit on the ballot paper, and no party or parties will have not-Brexit on the ballot paper.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    He seems to be a fully signed up supporter from his recent tweets. One wonders whether he is also supplying funding.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Foxy said:

Personally, I object to politicians being protested at their homes, whether Jezza or JRM. Have some respect for their private lives and protest at public events only.
    Agree - although Labour voters are the most sympathetic to the protesters.

Voting for Brexit in the Euros would strip out about 80% of the Tory members.....
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Poor old Jeremy's high as a kite.

Either that or his Mother chose his outfit.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    ydoethur said:

Wow.

We asked expert on Peruvian affairs Mr Paddington Bear who said...……...

ydoethur said:

Not a pretty scorecard.
    I see Ballance is in the runs again...
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    So for some people (moi for example) with the loonies having siphoned themselves off to Brexit Party and UKIP I will find it quite safe to vote for the Conservatives.

I mean when I think about it my brain explodes at the whole dynamic but I am speaking as but a simple voter.
    In other news, the world's third largest democracy looks like its on-track to re-elect its current president - rejecting his ex-military 'Nationalist Strongman' opponent:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1118430047604498437
    Scott_P said:

Interesting spat on Twitter from Hugo Rifkind, arguing that the EU elections (if they happen) are a defacto referendum on Brexit, and bemoaning the fact that one party will have Brexit on the ballot paper, and no party or parties will have not-Brexit on the ballot paper.

The tired old act of expectations management.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547

Voting for Brexit in the Euros would strip out about 80% of the Tory members.....
    But a parliamentarian openly advocating support for a rival party is on a different level. In Labour - even Corbyn's Labour - that would mean instant expulsion.
    Roger said:

Can't see - but do you think he's wearing sandals with those socks?
    I am getting a bit chilly now glued to this thread....can somebody bring a blanket.
    TOPPING said:

So for some people (moi for example) with the loonies having siphoned themselves off to Brexit Party and UKIP I will find it quite safe to vote for the Conservatives.

I mean when I think about it my brain explodes at the whole dynamic but I am speaking as but a simple voter.

Shouldn’t people who like May’s Deal vote Tory?
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Scott_P said:

No one was stopping him from setting one up.

But a parliamentarian openly advocating support for a rival party is on a different level. In Labour - even Corbyn's Labour - that would mean instant expulsion.
    Retired parliamentarian, if that makes a difference.
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

Yes I think that is my point.

Roger said:

Can't see - but do you think he's wearing sandals with those socks?
    His problems start higher up.....
    For hand-egg fans, the UK NFL games for next season have been announced and they are rather disappointing.

https://www.nfl.com/uk?campaign=sp-uk-uk-em-em-1307316
    An Assad apologist and denier of Labour anti-semitism a professor no more:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/piers-robinson_uk_5cb5d5b5e4b082aab08c953f?hya
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2019
    Climate change protesters targetting the Docklands Light Railway is pretty stupid by any standards. It'll lose them a lot of support I expect.
    edited April 2019
    What a shock, the Mail has done some digging and double barrel twat on Sky News earlier of course went to an expensive private school.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6931767/Moment-Extinction-Rebellion-activist-storms-Sky-interview.html
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Ah, but he hasn't quite done that. "If" is doing a lot of work there.
    For those not around in 1968...or 78....or 88....

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1118551879921864705
    edited April 2019

What a shock, the Mail has done some digging and double barrel twat on Sky News earlier of course went to an expensive private school.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6931767/Moment-Extinction-Rebellion-activist-storms-Sky-interview.html

Who's 'double-barrel twat'?

Edit. Aren't eco warriors allowed to go to public school?

And takes holidays abroad (Guido)....
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Ishmael_Z said:

Retired parliamentarian, if that makes a difference.
    I would not have thought his opinion counts for very much these days. Its not like he spends much time in the UK anyway! A great advert for the Brexit party "I don't pay tax in the UK or live there most of the time!"

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/piers-robinson_uk_5cb5d5b5e4b082aab08c953f?hya

Why are people called Piers invariably twats?
    TOPPING said:

I usually vote Tory but will vote LD in the locals and Change UK or LD for the European elections and have persuaded others to do likewise!
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

He’s not a Parliamentarian.
  • Pulpstar said:

What's he hoping to reform?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    TOPPING said:

For what election? For the locals happy to vote Tory to kick out the incompetent Labour leadership.

For the EU's probably Labour as I don't want Nigel to win and the other option is split x ways with the Lib Dems / Tig / Greens all standing

For a General Election - not a sodden clue...
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Sean_F said:

Putting the figures into Baxter (with Brexit in place of UKIP) gives

Brexit Party 290
    Labour 244
    SNP 53
    Lib Dem 35
    Conservative 4.

The four would presumably be Chris Chope, Mark Francois, Priti Patel, and John Redwood

Hey that would be cool. Then you could have an 'Independents' Government - Brexit and SNP in coalition. Now that Farage's party no longer have 'UK' in their name I am sure they will be happy to do a deal for Scottish Independence as soon as possible.

That was all a joke by the way.

There's several of them, aren't there?

Next up 'Jeremy'......(Thorpe, Clarkson.....fill in your own....
    Roger said:

Who's 'double-barrel twat'?

Edit. Aren't eco warriors allowed to go to public school?
    I can't see how his schooling is relevant, but I think it is highly relevant he spends his life globe-trotting (unless he does it all by canoe). Charges of utter hypocrisy seem justified.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    FPT
    ydoethur said:
    » show previous quotes
    This one still has legs on the other side too. Asked if he can appeal:

Wings Over Scotland

@WingsScotland
    Replying to @Guinness_Alan
    We can, yes, and will decide whether to do so after getting Counsel's advice.

1:41 PM - Apr 17, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    See Wings Over Scotland's other Tweets
    For those interested this is the actual judgment: http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2019scedin32.pdf?sfvrsn=0

It is actually a rather good piece of prose, measured, clear and careful. It is worth a bit of time for those who have it.

TOPPING said:

I usually vote Tory but will vote LD in the locals and Change UK or LD for the European elections and have persuaded others to do likewise!
    Why? As a Remain thing?

Pulpstar said:

The electorate.

FPT

Sort of like Eurovision without the awful music.
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

For what election? For the locals happy to vote Tory to kick out the incompetent Labour leadership.

For the EU's probably Labour as I don't want Nigel to win and the other option is split x ways with the Lib Dems / Tig / Greens all standing

For a General Election - not a sodden clue...
    For the locals yes I will vote Cons and for the EUs I will vote Cons because I am a Cons supporter. There must be little more barmy than voting for the candidate of a party that wants to abolish the candidate's job but these are special times.

GE? Depends who is leader of the party.
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Yes I think that is my point.
    Oh I see 🙌🏻

On topic, I think the only way you can read anything into the EU elections is if one of the 'issue' parties - either CUK or Brexit - get more than 50% odd of the vote on their own. And I say that fully believing that the Brexit Party will be the clear winners in terms of vote share and seats. But I still think it is meaningless as a measure of what people think about Brexit itself.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    DavidL said:

FPT
    ydoethur said:
    » show previous quotes

Wings Over Scotland

@WingsScotland

For those interested this is the actual judgment: http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2019scedin32.pdf?sfvrsn=0

It is actually a rather good piece of prose, measured, clear and careful. It is worth a bit of time for those who have it.

What chance Mr Wings is going to end up with a large bill for Ms Dugdale’s costs?
    isam said:
    does it work for you?
    DavidL said:

FPT

Sort of like Eurovision without the awful music.
    An incandescent TSE will be along in 5,4,3.....
    DavidL said:

FPT
    ydoethur said:
    » show previous quotes

Wings Over Scotland

@WingsScotland

Loved the section where the Sheriff basically says "Campbell can dish it out but can't take it"!

What normally happens on Costs in such cases?

There's several of them, aren't there?

Next up 'Jeremy'......(Thorpe, Clarkson.....fill in your own....
    They'd have turned out lovely if they'd been a Pete.

Or a Mark.

We must stop the births of any more Piers being registered. Can we unite across the political divide on this one?
    edited April 2019
    So should there be a strong showing by Brexit/UKIP in the EUs, will the ERG nutters:

a) worry that the Cons would lose the next election as they haven't delivered Brexit and therefore rally to May's deal; or
    b) think that by continuing to oppose May's deal they will attract the Brexit/UKIP types (back) to the Cons; or
    c) not think anything at all as thinking is not their strong point?

DavidL said:

FPT
    ydoethur said:
    » show previous quotes

Wings Over Scotland

@WingsScotland

Loved the section where the Sheriff basically says "Campbell can dish it out but can't take it"!

What normally happens on Costs in such cases?
    The action has failed and Kezia has been assoilzied (ie acquitted). I would expect her to be looking for her expenses. On the other hand the comments were found to be wrong and defamatory. I would guess some sort of modified expenses to the defender.

Expenses could be £100K a side.
  • Pulpstar said:

The electorate.
    Ah, yes of course.

On topic, I think the only way you can read anything into the EU elections is if one of the 'issue' parties - either CUK or Brexit - get more than 50% odd of the vote on their own. And I say that fully believing that the Brexit Party will be the clear winners in terms of vote share and seats. But I still think it is meaningless as a measure of what people think about Brexit itself.

It won't be meaningless in terms of it showing that people really, really care about Brexit. Enough to vote for a wanker like Farage to make a point.....
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Why? As a Remain thing?
    I cannot vote Tory as that would be an endorsement of their Brexit strategy, they have lost the tag of being a competent government in my eyes. I seek to punish them and to be honest they have delivered very little for me personally, philosophically I may be closer to them but their period in office needs to be brought to an end as does this obsession with Europe.

I cannot vote for Labour led by Corbyn and so my vote would go to Change UK in the European elections unless some sort of joint arrangement occurs with the LD. In local elections the LD looks like the only choice as Change UK to my knowledge don't have candidates. I am not going to vote Tory or Labour as this Brexit madness should be halted as the best deal is being in the EU. So Brexit is a main driver but the sheer incompetence of Tories and Labour mean I have to look for protest vehicles.
This discussion has been closed.