Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    stodge said:

Change UK have chosen to align with the EPP.

It's an interesting development. Perhaps CUK see themselves not as the heirs to Blair but as the heirs to Cameron and one nation conservatism.

Some people may be reading this all wrong - the Conservatives are now facing a pincer movement from CUK on one side and the Brexit Party on the other. The alignment may be on the centre-right after all.
    There’s absolutely nothing official that I can find that says Change UK have joined the EPP.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

AndyJS said:

Climate change protesters targetting the Docklands Light Railway is pretty stupid by any standards. It'll lose them a lot of support I expect.

I wonder if the suffragettes were unpopular in their day, they were certainly more violent.
    https://www.bl.uk/votes-for-women/articles/suffragettes-violence-and-militancy
    Yes but the suffragettes weren't directing their violence against the symbols and triumphs of their own success.

Climate change morons attacking the environmentally friendly public transport systems which are designed to help them achieve their aims is really, really stupid. Of course gluing yourself to a car or lorry is a far more risky business as the driver will probably just drive off with you still stuck to it.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    3-2....
    Twenty-eight people have died after a tourist bus crashed and overturned on the island of Madeira, Portuguese media have reported.
  • Difficult to interpret question - does it only apply to the protests in London (in which case I don't oppose it) or more generally (in which case I do)?
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    How do we read across from the referendum when for one thing the electorate is not the same? Are not EU citizens from the 27 allowed to vote as opposed to just the 3 in the referendum ( ROI, Malta, and Cyprus)?
  • a case of Lancs for coming at Old Trafford this afternoon.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

stodge said:

It's an interesting development. Perhaps CUK see themselves not as the heirs to Blair but as the heirs to Cameron and one nation conservatism.

Some people may be reading this all wrong - the Conservatives are now facing a pincer movement from CUK on one side and the Brexit Party on the other. The alignment may be on the centre-right after all.
    There’s absolutely nothing official that I can find that says Change UK have joined the EPP.
    Yeah, it seems to just be based on Europe Elects' Twitter.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

stodge said:

Wikipedia lists TIG/Change UK as having two MEPs (defectors from the Conservatives) who are part of the EPP. Sure, it's not official, but doesn't seem ridiculous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Independent_Group

Possibly one could find something on the European Parliament website to confirm it.
  • isam said:

Personally I would leave the Tories and Labour out of any calculations. I’m more interested in UKIP+Brexit Party+DUP vs LD, TIG, Green, PC, SNP & others

Agreed although i'm interested to see whether either Labour or Tories manage to clarify their position during the campaign.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Scooters business model doesn't work apparently...

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pcb2cnEw

Silicon-Valley-O-Nomics strikes again. No need to make a profit, just hope they get to an IPO before the VC cash runs dry.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,722
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

So should there be a strong showing by Brexit/UKIP in the EUs, will the ERG nutters:

a) worry that the Cons would lose the next election as they haven't delivered Brexit and therefore rally to May's deal; or
    b) think that by continuing to oppose May's deal they will attract the Brexit/UKIP types (back) to the Cons; or
    c) not think anything at all as thinking is not their strong point?

It doesn't matter what the ERG say, they will be drowned out by the Remainer's screaming about the low turnout
    Leavers drew Man City and Huddersfield in the PL sweepstake and threw away the Man City slip.
    In my eyes we will always have won that referendum. The fact that MP's are too vain to listen to the public was the main reason why
    Of course you won it but you run a very great risk of throwing it away.
    Don't lump me in with MP's! The public aren't to blame
    The public voted for something for which there was a non-trivial probability that PRECISELY THIS would happen,
    Of course it was a non trivial possibility that MPs vanity would make it unable for them to respect the referendum, but you cant blame us for that

Tory defectors will he voting with Galloway.

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1118560481785065472?s=21

Remain and Leave are stronger than party politics with the public, if not MPs
    Sandpit said:

Silicon-Valley-O-Nomics strikes again. No need to make a profit, just hope they get to an IPO before the VC cash runs dry.
    Given most scooters only last a month, the eco-nutters should be over there campaigning to have them banned. Just think how much of the earth resources are being wasted.

ITV news reporting surge in Easter “staycations” with people opting for the U.K. - but with London forecast for 25C on Saturday and Nice 19C you can see why the weather is playing an additional factor (BREXIT was mentioned in the vox pops - so the horror stories of Brits queuing for hours at Spanish airports may have had an impact....)

I’m going to guess that most of the package resorts in Spain are well down on summer bookings thanks to the uncertainty. It could be that there are bargains to be had booking late, or possibly that available capacity (especially on charted flights) has been reduced in anticipation.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

So should there be a strong showing by Brexit/UKIP in the EUs, will the ERG nutters:

a) worry that the Cons would lose the next election as they haven't delivered Brexit and therefore rally to May's deal; or
    b) think that by continuing to oppose May's deal they will attract the Brexit/UKIP types (back) to the Cons; or

It doesn't matter what the ERG say, they will be drowned out by the Remainer's screaming about the low turnout
    Leavers drew Man City and Huddersfield in the PL sweepstake and threw away the Man City slip.
    In my eyes we will always have won that referendum. The fact that MP's are too vain to listen to the public was the main reason why
    The public voted for something for which there was a non-trivial probability that PRECISELY THIS would happen,
    Of course it was a non trivial possibility that MPs vanity would make it unable for them to respect the referendum, but you cant blame us for that
    You’re being obtuse. Millions of people think that your version of Brexit would not be respecting the referendum.

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

You’re being obtuse. Millions of people think that your version of Brexit would not be respecting the referendum.
    I would take any kind of Brexit, so you’re bang wrong.

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16 for EP 19
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Missing the point. You might take it, but others wouldn’t, which is why we are where we are.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764
    isam said:
    i'm not sure that would work, given social media
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,571
    isam said:
    I can remember the days when the Independent was a printed newspaper selling nearly 400,000 copies a day that prided itself on its name and as a consequence did not try to ram a particular point of view down the reader's throat but concentrated on reporting news.

Now it's just a one-sided mouthpiece for Remain.

isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Missing the point. You might take it, but others wouldn’t, which is why we are where we are.
    Have a referendum between the Leave options then
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    eek said:
    For those of us who never wanted a US trade deal, that's hardly a threat. I believe we (somehow) have a BOP surplus with America. Do we really think they're anxious to do a deal so they can give us even more money? It's breathtakingly naive.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    isam said:
    Getting rid of Farage, Labour and the Tories all at once?

Can't say the idea's without attractions...
    ydoethur said:

isam said:
    Getting rid of Farage, Labour and the Tories all at once?

Can't say the idea's without attractions...
    The TIGgers could put it in their manifesto...

Ban all parties you disagree with and ignore all votes you lose!!

#change
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

So they are now a centre right Christian Democratic Party?

They logically should have linked up with ALDE but perhaps they are just too LIDL for them to be interested?
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,571

ITV news reporting surge in Easter “staycations” with people opting for the U.K. - but with London forecast for 25C on Saturday and Nice 19C you can see why the weather is playing an additional factor (BREXIT was mentioned in the vox pops - so the horror stories of Brits queuing for hours at Spanish airports may have had an impact....)

If true, excellent for the UK balance of payments, good for the UK tourist industry, and lousy for the Spanish and other EU tourist economies.

Unfortunately, the UK government still thinks that their aces rank below 2s when it comes to Brexit negotiations.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008

isam said:
    I can remember the days when the Independent was a printed newspaper selling nearly 400,000 copies a day that prided itself on its name and as a consequence did not try to ram a particular point of view down the reader's throat but concentrated on reporting news.

I can remember the days when journalists were able to use apostrophe's correctly.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Have a referendum between the Leave options then
    That would never do ......
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

isam said:

Unfortunately, the Brexiteer print media and their associated websites have a big readership head start on the Remain supporting newspapers. The Brexit supporting papers will give Farage no end of support even though his end point is a no deal Brexit. I find it rather tedious the sheer double standards in which their criticism of Corbyn is relentless but they support Farage who offers an equally catastrophic outcome should he get his way. I say this as someone who thinks Corbyn would be a disaster for the country.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,758
    4-2 City. What a game.
    Man City 4 - 2

Man City 4 - 2

De Bruyne is probably my favourite player in the EPL And I am a United supporter.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    Liverpool 4-0 on agg.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Sandpit said:

I’m going to guess that most of the package resorts in Spain are well down on summer bookings thanks to the uncertainty. It could be that there are bargains to be had booking late, or possibly that available capacity (especially on charted flights) has been reduced in anticipation.
    Partly Brexit day being just before Easter, and part Easter falling rather late, so British weather a bit better. Isle of Wight looking lovely this year

It will be interesting if the summer bookings pick up now that Brexit day is Haloween.
    DavidL said:

4-2 City. What a game.

Spurs being Spursey...
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

isam said:

Unfortunately, the Brexiteer print media and their associated websites have a big readership head start on the Remain supporting newspapers. The Brexit supporting papers will give Farage no end of support even though his end point is a no deal Brexit. I find it rather tedious the sheer double standards in which their criticism of Corbyn is relentless but they support Farage who offers an equally catastrophic outcome should he get his way. I say this as someone who thinks Corbyn would be a disaster for the country.
    I can't really see the double standards, they back the right wing nationalist anti immigrant nutters whether they come in Tory or Farage flavours. Catastrophe for the country is what they want.
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

4-2 City. What a game.

Spurs being Spursey...
    13/2 To Qualify not the worst bet IMO
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

4-2 City. What a game.

Spurs being Spursey...
    Collapsed faster than an England Surrey batting line up.
    4-1 Liverpool agg

eek said:
    For those of us who never wanted a US trade deal, that's hardly a threat. I believe we (somehow) have a BOP surplus with America. Do we really think they're anxious to do a deal so they can give us even more money? It's breathtakingly naive.
    "it's breathtakingly naive" - A bit like those who support Brexit. The Brexit ship has sailed away yet those who campaigned for it cling on in forlorn hope that the dreams they have had of Brexit being some sort of boon to the country will still materialise .The rest of us had the intelligence to know Brexit is a fools errand and its proponents ideas have turned out to be utter fantasy. Some say the past is another country and you cannot return, I say that is good advice and maybe as you grow a bit older you will come to realise the error of your ways.
    isam said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

4-2 City. What a game.

Spurs being Spursey...
    Perhaps not, but Man City do look the more likely to score next.
    what a game.....
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

4-2 City. What a game.

Spurs being Spursey...
    Or maybe not!

Liverpool 4-0 on agg.

That was easier than a quarter-final should be.

Liverpool fans now have a week to prepare for their night of supporting Man United!
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

4-2 City. What a game.

Spurs being Spursey...
    Or maybe not!
    Or maybe maybe not....VAR.....
    Man City have to score again.....
    Too much excitement....can't handle it....

Sandpit said:

Given most scooters only last a month, the eco-nutters should be over there campaigning to have them banned. Just think how much of the earth resources are being wasted.
    Scooters, like the bikes, will only work if they need to be left somewhere specific - which defeats the point of them to most people. Otherwise there’s no chain of accountability, which invariably leads to kids setting fire to them and dumping them in bins and lakes, just because they can.
    edited April 2019

Too much excitement....can't handle it....

They will score again. But will Spurs? Amazing game.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    The detail of the YouGov poll shows that Labour would slump to just 15%, tied with the Tories and LDs if they followed through on backing Brexit but staying in the Customs Union with the Brexit Party leading on 25%.

If however Labour backed a public vote on whether to go ahead with Brexit they would be on 23%, a clear second albeit still behind the Brexit Party on 26%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/vdqicng3bz/PeoplesVote_190416_EUElections_w.pdf
    Liverpool 6-1 on agg.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    IanB2 said:

Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16 for EP 19

Oh the Conservative Patty is going to take such a pasting....
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

The detail of the YouGov poll shows that Labour would slump to just 15%, tied with the Tories and LDs if they followed through on backing Brexit but staying in the Customs Union with the Brexit Party leading on 25%.

If however Labour backed a public vote on whether to go ahead with Brexit they would be on 23%, a clear second albeit still behind the Brexit Party on 26%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/vdqicng3bz/PeoplesVote_190416_EUElections_w.pdf

As I keep saying, if Corbyn allows any type of Brexit to happen he's ****ed. But if he does commit to Remain it doesn't win him much because no one would believe him and he damages Labour in a GE.

HYUFD said:

As I keep saying, if Corbyn allows any type of Brexit to happen he's ****ed. But if he does commit to Remaim it doesn't win him much because no one would believe him and he damages Labour in a GE.
    Which is the essence of Brexit's limbo.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16 for EP 19

It seems slightly odd to me that the polls took so long for the Conservative percentages to nosedive. It seems pretty consistent now as most pollsters have shown it, but it's very recent despite how long Brexit has been a train wreck.

Is the theory basically that a large tranche of potential Conservative voters could just about accept a short extension to Brexit but have basically finally lost patience once it became clear a longer extension was happening?
    edited April 2019
    Unbelievable....Greatest game ever?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    edited April 2019
    Chris said:

isam said:

I can remember the days when journalists were able to use apostrophe's correctly.
    I presume you are being ironic given that you just used it incorrectly. At least I really hope you were.
    VAR...

Unbelievable....Greatest game ever?

VAR...
  • HAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH

VAR!

QUADNIOLA
  • I told Scrapheap Spurs would win this season's Champions League unless they met Liverpool in the final.
    What an incredible game. Can’t believe Spurs won that.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16 for EP 19

It seems slightly odd to me that the polls took so long for the Conservative percentages to nosedive. It seems pretty consistent now as most pollsters have shown it, but it's very recent despite how long Brexit has been a train wreck.

Is the theory basically that a large tranche of voters could just about accept a short extension to Brexit but have basically finally lost patience once it became clear a longer extension was happening?
    Yep. And exactly what anyone who knocks doors regularly could have told No 10.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764
    Are the people in the photograph above the Grand Wizards of Remain?
  • Speaking as a Liverpool fan that City v Spurs match might be the greatest match I've ever seen not involving Liverpool.

VAR's going to make fools of all football fans one day.
    I love VAR. Great ending, just happy to see City out rather than for Tottenham.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Amazing ! One of the best ever CL games . Man City have some wonderful players but they messed up the first leg and it’s come back to haunt them .
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Most people don't follow the day to day, so they never realised Brexit was under threat. When Brexit day became a short extension, then a 2nd extension, they did notice, and you get the betrayal narrative. Farage re-appearing gives a convenient receptacle for that.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

isam said:

IMO The Independent has always been a centre-left paper - they used to irritate me a lot for pretending to be neutral. I still there's a gap in the market for a genuinely impartial paper, though it's a declining market for everyone.
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16 for EP 19

The Tories also came third at the 2014 European elections where UKIP came first as the Brexit Party lead this poll, but the Tories won a majority at the general election the following year
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    isam said:

Tory defectors will he voting with Galloway.

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1118560481785065472?s=21

Remain and Leave are stronger than party politics with the public, if not MPs
    Lol - how's his application to rejoin Labour getting on?

HYUFD said:

As I keep saying, if Corbyn allows any type of Brexit to happen he's ****ed. But if he does commit to Remain it doesn't win him much because no one would believe him and he damages Labour in a GE.
    That is partly true, Corbyn is in reality hit by Brexit almost as much as the Tories.

He faces the problem most Labour seats and Tory marginals he needs for a majority voted Leave but most Labour voters voted Remain, at least the Tories can say most of their voters and seats voted Leave
    I can see Liverpool winning the league now . Man City will really struggle to overcome this disappointment .
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Danny565 said:
    600m covers about 5 hours of the US government deficit.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16 for EP 19

The Tories also came third at the 2014 European elections where UKIP came first as the Brexit Party lead this poll, but the Tories won a majority at the general election the following year
    Good luck with that next time...
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16 for EP 19

Quite.
    edited April 2019
    nico67 said:

I can see Liverpool winning the league now . Man City will really struggle to overcome this disappointment .

No*, the trade off was City lose in Europe so they can win the league, Liverpool can't win the premier league. Too much banter lost....

*They might but they shouldn't!
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Interesting that there was much more support for Spurs than Man city of the BBC commentary thumbs up / down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/45683920/page/3
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Danny565 said:
    There's some serious inflation (or celebrity one upmanship) in cathedral rebuilding.

York Minster came in at just over £2m:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Minster#1984_fire
    Apparently another GE poll puts the Tories on 23% and Labour 33% with the Brexit Party on 14% .

Of course once Brexit is done this will make a very big difference .
    Anyone remember the dickhead supporter who ran on to pitch and hit a player and did some prison time?

Not going to post it but there is a horrible picture of him after someone slashed his face with a knife after release.

Apparently a "fan" restoring his teams "honour"

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16 for EP 19

Quite.
    You better get rid of May PDQ then.
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

4-2 City. What a game.

Spurs being Spursey...
    I think you just disagree with me now for the sake of it

(This is wide open for you to reply "I wasn't disagreeing" which technically, you weren't!)
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16 for EP 19

TBH they deserve the kicking they are going to get.

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    HYUFD said:
    I agree with this. Now is time to come off the fence.
    edited April 2019
    Floater said:

Anyone remember the dickhead supporter who ran on to pitch and hit a player and did some prison time?

Not going to post it but there is a horrible picture of him after someone slashed his face with a knife after release.

Apparently a "fan" restoring his teams "honour"

I saw that, horrific. Prob best not to post on here
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16 for EP 19

Good luck with that next time...
    The vast majority of Brexit voters are Tories on holiday, 49% of 2017 Tories are voting Brexit Party in the Euro elections according to YouGov, compared to just 10% of 2017 Labour voters voting Brexit Party.

Once we have actually left the EU and the Tories have a harder Brexiteer like Raab or Boris leading them they will return

edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:
    Will Hutton makes me laugh, I always come to the conclusion he has terrible judgement. Talk about Change UK being dead after one poll and the campaign not even being really started is wide of the mark. He is a Labour supporter through and through. He wants Change UK to fail but I have a feeling it may do a lot better than some would give credence at this time.
    Danny565 said:
    The Bill Gates Foundation has $50 billion of assets to tackle global health problems and extreme poverty
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    The Bill Gates Foundation has $50 billion of assets to tackle global health problems and extreme poverty
    It’s the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Melinda deserves huge credit for exciting her husband about philanthropy
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    It’s the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Melinda deserves huge credit for exciting her husband about philanthropy
    Yes, Melinda too
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Otoh it was Melinda who invented that bloody paperclip.
This discussion has been closed.