Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden drops 15 in new Democrat primary poll as Mayor Peter mov

Comments

• isamisam Posts: 40,722

isam said:

Emma Thompson deserves all the stick she's getting. She's no better than the Brexit backers who live on the Costas and in French mansions, and the Tories who hang out with white supremacists while condemning Jeremy Corbyn for anti-Semitism.

Or the centrists who moderately bomb the Middle East

Not sure how many centrists do that. But if they say they are opposed to it but then do it clearly they deserve stick.

Blair, Cameron, Obama?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    edited April 2019

If we’re going to avoid the worst consequences of climate change, we’ll need an energy revolution. Specifically, we need to replace our dirty, fossil fuel-based grids and dirty, fossil fuel-powered vehicles with clean, carbon-free grids, and electric vehicles that charge off them. But there’s a big problem.

Making that future a reality will, among other things, require a lot of batteries: batteries to charge our electric cars; batteries to store solar power collected while the sun’s up and wind power harnessed when it’s gusty out. And as a new report by researchers at the University of Technology Sydney warns, that’s likely to drive demand for the metals used to build green batteries—as well as wind turbines and solar panels—through the roof.

In other words the clean tech boom is, at least in the short term, likely to fuel a mining boom.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/the-dirty-truth-about-green-batteries-1833922990

All seems very plausible. Many years ago I was told about a study that suggested from digging the components up to scrap page, a Toyota Prius had a bigger carbon footprint than a Land Rover Discovery. It seems plausible. I also remember that when Brown introduced that silly scrappage scheme ten years ago a number of environmental groups were opposed because to be most environmentally efficient the cars should be running for 18 years not ten.

You're denigrating this guy because of what he drives, in effect saying that he is not allowed to have 'eco' opinions because he drives a diesel. You're forgetting that we were told by the government that diesels were better for the environment because they emit less CO2.
    It's perfectly true that electric cars are expensive at the moment.
    In any case this sort of argument is spurious because only governments can make the changes necessary to combat the worst effects of Climate Change and to put in place the tax laws and incentives that will help the rest of us fight climate change in our individual ways.

Yes. We are absolutely saying that. Ecowarriors who claim that we must make drastic changes to our behaviour to save the planet, while driving themselves everywhere and jetting off for lots of foreign holidays, are stupid twats and loathsome hypocrites who are not worth listening to, even when they are correct.

When they move to an unheated hermitage, grow their own food and either walk or take trains, then we can take them seriously. But this lot are just a bunch of pompous and not very intelligent attention seekers with neither common courtesy or brain cells. Ignore.
    Sandpit said:

If we’re going to avoid the worst consequences of climate change, we’ll need an energy revolution. Specifically, we need to replace our dirty, fossil fuel-based grids and dirty, fossil fuel-powered vehicles with clean, carbon-free grids, and electric vehicles that charge off them. But there’s a big problem.

Making that future a reality will, among other things, require a lot of batteries: batteries to charge our electric cars; batteries to store solar power collected while the sun’s up and wind power harnessed when it’s gusty out. And as a new report by researchers at the University of Technology Sydney warns, that’s likely to drive demand for the metals used to build green batteries—as well as wind turbines and solar panels—through the roof.

In other words the clean tech boom is, at least in the short term, likely to fuel a mining boom.

Not to mention the massive increase in electricity generation that will be required if we are to keep those electric cars charged up - even on dark and still winter’s days weeks. It’s not happening without either nuclear or fossil fuel power stations.
    Globalisation is basically filth. It speeds life up to an unnatural pace, destroying the environment in more ways than one
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    nunuone said:
    Looks like they've been taken over - are there any Social Democrats left?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2019
    "Many years ago I was told about a study that suggested from digging the components up to scrap page, a Toyota Prius had a bigger carbon footprint than a Land Rover Discovery. It seems plausible"

Yes, I remember that. It is both the nasty components that go into it (much of which can't be recycled at end of life) and also all that extra weight for the batteries means that the car is massively inefficient in petrol mode.

You are better off just driving a modern small petrol car that these days are incredibly good on MPG.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,167
    edited April 2019

Charles said:

Biden-Buttigieg here we come.

Theres no chance that ticket will be mocked as Biden Buttplug
    Trump’s insults are usually crushing because they pick out a weakness of the candidate and amplify it (Lying Ted, Little Mario, Pochahontos etc).

“Buttplug” would just be crass and insulting and I don’t think it would stick / be effective as a name
    Precocious Pete?
    Trump wouldn't be able to spell it.

I doubt he'll wade in yet. Buttigieg still isn't a name that has a lot of traction outside avid politics fans, and his good polling series may well fizzle out anyway. Having a go now would only tend to boost awareness, whereas slinging punches at better known figures galvanises Trump's base against the people who remain his most likely opponents.

I also think in some respects Trump is more aware than people think. He knows he's a bloke in his 70s, and that having an opponent of a similar age, who's been around the block and people are already a bit bored of, would tend to be best for him. So he's fairly happy to play the game of talking about Biden, Sanders and Warren as the main players in town.

It will be interesting to see whether Democrats also see this as the campaign wears on. I can't help but think the last VP and last nomination runner-up are up there on name recognition. The logic of fielding an old fart to beat an old turd just doesn't make any sense at all when things come into focus - energy, dynamism, optimism are what will win this.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    The Labour tweet makes me feel sick. Not the bread bit, but the whole stinking hypocrisy of sending this out while buckets of cases of anti-semitism get filed under 'do nothing'.

The Labour tweet makes me feel sick. Not the bread bit, but the whole stinking hypocrisy of sending this out while buckets of cases of anti-semitism get filed under 'do nothing'.
    It will be worse if in a few months this lot are in charge of the country.
    It would have been rather ironic if the protesters had managed to shut down Heathrow and Air Miles Emma couldn't have made it into the country.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Sandpit said:

Not to mention the massive increase in electricity generation that will be required if we are to keep those electric cars charged up - even on dark and still winter’s days weeks. It’s not happening without either nuclear or fossil fuel power stations.
    & Here is the big issue with wind : http://www.wind-power-program.com/intermittency2.htm

On the other hand, the graph on percentage times shows that for a country the size of the UK, there will be of the order of a month per year made up in periods of a day or so at a time when the power ouput from a wind power system will fall to below 5% of the mean power ouput. As a result, it will be necessary to have a sufficient margin of spare power capacity from other sources to compensate for the power from the turbine system falling virtually to nothing.
    ydoethur said:

All seems very plausible. Many years ago I was told about a study that suggested from digging the components up to scrap page, a Toyota Prius had a bigger carbon footprint than a Land Rover Discovery. It seems plausible. I also remember that when Brown introduced that silly scrappage scheme ten years ago a number of environmental groups were opposed because to be most environmentally efficient the cars should be running for 18 years not ten.

You're denigrating this guy because of what he drives, in effect saying that he is not allowed to have 'eco' opinions because he drives a diesel. You're forgetting that we were told by the government that diesels were better for the environment because they emit less CO2.
    In any case this sort of argument is spurious because only governments can make the changes necessary to combat the worst effects of Climate Change and to put in place the tax laws and incentives that will help the rest of us fight climate change in our individual ways.

Yes. We are absolutely saying that. Ecowarriors who claim that we must make drastic changes to our behaviour to save the planet, while driving themselves everywhere and jetting off for lots of foreign holidays, are stupid twats and loathsome hypocrites who are not worth listening to, even when they are correct.

When they move to an unheated hermitage, grow their own food and either walk or take trains, then we can take them seriously. But this lot are just a bunch of pompous and not very intelligent attention seekers with neither common courtesy or brain cells. Ignore.
    The thing is that if you live as a hermit you'll have zero effect on combating climate change. You must admit that people are talking about it now. I would rather people were talking about Attenborough's programme, but there we are.
    You might like this ;-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFNcN0Zc7k&fbclid=IwAR23bBUFYXOrHcfB54kb3OQLVJbj1W7sCxGoiKSp7mYO-x2QMVkAgnpA5k8
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:
    Doesn't "the plane would have anyway flown without me" excuse also apply to all those other people flying for work or to go on holiday with their families? The carbon effect is the same even if the reason for the flight is different. So if you're trying to reduce your carbon effect you limit your flights and that applies just as much to Emma T as anyone else.
    Basically the argument is, if someone else is benefiting from energy consumption, you get a free pass. I don't see any problem with this logic...
    If you fly a lot the airlines will put on more flights and vice versa, so the macro effect is there even though that particular plane would have flown anyway.
    Indeed, that someone with a BSc can't comprehend something that simple doesn't say much for further education.

I these protests might actually do more harm than good. Certainly Thompson flying in from the States will have thoroughly annoyed many people and will reduce the guilt factor for those jetting of to the Costas for their summer holidays.
    Seems a lot of people are talking about climate and protests though.

Media are picking it up as well e.g. Front headline of DM website. Two economics articles on climate and energy in Telegraph.

Job done?

"Many years ago I was told about a study that suggested from digging the components up to scrap page, a Toyota Prius had a bigger carbon footprint than a Land Rover Discovery. It seems plausible"

Yes, I remember that. It is both the nasty components that go into it (much of which can't be recycled at end of life) and also all that extra weight for the batteries means that the car is massively inefficient in petrol mode.

You are better off just driving a modern small petrol car that these days are incredibly good on MPG.

Don't forget as well, electrical cars are only 'green' if the power used is generated by renewables. And even on the windiest, warmest days when all the rivers are full, I don't think we can top half of generation from renewable sources. So much might come from nuclear (OK, no greenhouse gases but hardly environmentally friendly) or gas. And as gas generation isn't a terribly efficient way of creating power compared to an oil fuel engine, they might well be using more carbon to drive themselves than petrol engines do.
    edited April 2019
    Nah that has to be fake....if Ken had done it, it would have read "Happy Hitler Passover".
    ydoethur said:

Don't forget as well, electrical cars are only 'green' if the power used is generated by renewables. And even on the windiest, warmest days when all the rivers are full, I don't think we can top half of generation from renewable sources. So much might come from nuclear (OK, no greenhouse gases but hardly environmentally friendly) or gas. And as gas generation isn't a terribly efficient way of creating power compared to an oil fuel engine, they might well be using more carbon to drive themselves than petrol engines do.
    The tides are reasonably reliable...

ydoethur said:

The thing is that if you live as a hermit you'll have zero effect on combating climate change. You must admit that people are talking about it now. I would rather people were talking about Attenborough's programme, but there we are.
    You might like this ;-)
    But we're not, are we? We're talking about what a bunch of rude, lazy, hypocritical and stupid wankers these people are. So they will, justly, be ignored. Or laughed at. Or quite plausibly, if they continue like this, beaten up.

If they were at least trying to put their philosophies into practice, people might pay attention.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

All seems very plausible. Many years ago I wntally efficient the cars should be running for 18 years not ten.

You might like this ;-)
    But we're not, are we? We're talking about what a bunch of rude, lazy, hypocritical and stupid wankers these people are. So they will, justly, be ignored. Or laughed at. Or quite plausibly, if they continue like this, beaten up.

If they were at least trying to put their philosophies into practice, people might pay attention.
    It's not always the case that no publicity is bad publicity.
    ydoethur said:

I'm sure you've got some positive ideas on how to tackle the subject.
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

And I still cannot believe the government green lighted Hinckley and blocked Swansea. Of all the dumb decisions May has made, that must be the dumbest.
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

And I still cannot believe the government green lighted Hinckley and blocked Swansea. Of all the dumb decisions May has made, that must be the dumbest.
    Agreed, but don't forget the ending of the solar feed in tariff.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:
    It would be unkind, I suppose, to ask whether that BSc Honours degree included the difference between "your" and "you're".

Yes, it would - but there again if you want to boast about your education best not to make such basic mistakes.
    https://twitter.com/tescgreen/status/1119153355454943232
    To be fair, she is right on this one!
    edited April 2019

Nah that has to be fake....if Ken had done it, it would have read "Happy Hitler Passover".
    You know who else has trouble with internet mashups...

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed, but don't forget the ending of the solar feed in tariff.
    Speaking as a man with eight solar panels, I'm not.

Swansea was still the dumbest decision.

ydoethur said:

There are a number of different ways. It depends on what we are willing to pay and what changes to our lifestyle we are willing to make. To be blunt, tidal power seems the obvious way for us to go, mixed with wind and hydro. Solar panels are not really helpful. They just don't produce enough power. But at the moment that's been blocked.

But I would certainly not be in favour of using electrical cars ahead of small engined petrol cars if the latter are greener.

That does of course raise other questions about finite supplies of oil as well. But then, as noted above, electrical vehicles are limited by the rarity of lithium, nickel and cobalt.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840

Yes. The problem is that the word is both accidentally and deliberately used by various sides to mean different things. To some it merely means that Jewish people have a right to self-determination, and despite the injustices that occurred in 1947 when Palestinians were displaced, Israelis surely have a right to live in safety 70 years later. To others it means a historic mission to occupy the Biblical area, specifically including the whole of Jerusalem and the whole of the West Bank.

People who are hostile to zionism generally (but not always) are talking about the latter - being opposed to expansion and colonisation is not seen as being against Jewish people. People who say anti-zionism equals anti-semitism generally (but not always) are talking about the former. It's best to avoid the term because of this minefield, but one can't unsay things said in a different context 10-20 years ago. One should probably give the benefit of any doubt to anyone who used to say they were anti-zionist, but nowadays it's unwise, and if repeatedly used without explanation it's something to challenge.

Even when used correctly it makes the user (unless they are Jewish or Palestinian) sound a little bit obsessive, just a little too interested.

So play it safe. Go with "Aggressive Israeli expansionism and oppression of the Palestinian people".

Bit of a mouthful, yes, but what are mouths for?
    @ydoethur

Some are no doubt hypocrites, but but others may well be eco saints. That is the problem of a decentralised activist movement. Anyone can join.

I do not agree with their methods but salute their commitment to make the government take the issue seriously. Brexit is the cuckoo that has forced other important issues out of the nest.

I don't know if you saw this more nuanced critique of their methods:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1118938914386059264
    Voluntarily, or is it that no one wants to vote for them?
    edited April 2019

Cycling through a local churchyard and saw this, so sad.

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

It will be worse if in a few months this lot are in charge of the country.
    Yes - this country is in a hell of a bind.
    Foxy said:

No. I had not. I read it as far as this:

The pollution causing climate change is a result of the global capitalist economic system, which was built on the legacy of colonialism. Children in British schools are not taught about the horrors perpetuated by the British empire and this is a horrible canker sitting at the heart of British culture.

Since the rest of it had been similarly patronising and incoherent bollocks, and was presumably just as wrong, I gave up. A typical apologia by somebody who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

It was especially amusing to note them citing Erica Chenoweth and overlooking the obvious point of her work (which is not, contra the Wikipedia article, universally acclaimed) - that such campaigns as this one with limited support using quasi-violent methods do not generally work.
    Foxy said:

@ydoethur

Some are no doubt hypocrites, but but others may well be eco saints. That is the problem of a decentralised activist movement. Anyone can join.

I do not agree with their methods but salute their commitment to make the government take the issue seriously. Brexit is the cuckoo that has forced other important issues out of the nest.

My main objection to the article is that I think capitalism is a good thing. Capitalism gives us a standard of living that previous generations could not have contemplated. Rising prosperity also means that society is no longer dog eat dog. I don't need to plunder or enslave you, in order to improve my standard of living.

So, I'm not interested in trying to overthrow capitalism, either in order to improve the environment (it won't) or to improve society (it would make society poorer and crueller).
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There are a number of different ways. It depends on what we are willing to pay and what changes to our lifestyle we are willing to make. To be blunt, tidal power seems the obvious way for us to go, mixed with wind and hydro. Solar panels are not really helpful. They just don't produce enough power. But at the moment that's been blocked.

But I would certainly not be in favour of using electrical cars ahead of small engined petrol cars if the latter are greener.

That does of course raise other questions about finite supplies of oil as well. But then, as noted above, electrical vehicles are limited by the rarity of lithium, nickel and cobalt.
    I was very disappointed when the Swansea tidal lagoon was cancelled.
    I think that you might be interested in this discussion of whether electric cars are 'green' - it uses the term 'shades of green'. http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-cars-green
    isam said:

Why? the Stations of the Cross are a longstanding Christian tradition. Not my cup of tea.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    isam said:

Er... The Easter story is sad? Or the fact that a churchyard is being used to explain it to children?

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I think that you might be interested in this discussion of whether electric cars are 'green' - it uses the term 'shades of green'. http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-cars-green
    I have yet to hear a coherent argument as to why the Swansea scheme was cancelled.
    That worked out well, didn't it.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting, they note that for Paraguay, "virtually all the emissions are from vehicle manufacturing, as the power is incredibly low carbon."

How come Paraguay is so low carbon?
  • That worked out well, didn't it.
    Mrs May wanted a majority for hardish Brexit and the country said No.

The will of the people.
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

The pollution causing climate change is a result of the global capitalist economic system, which was built on the legacy of colonialism. Children in British schools are not taught about the horrors perpetuated by the British empire and this is a horrible canker sitting at the heart of British culture.

Since the rest of it had been similarly patronising and incoherent bollocks, and was presumably just as wrong, I gave up. A typical apologia by somebody who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

It was especially amusing to note them citing Erica Chenoweth and overlooking the obvious point of her work (which is not, contra the Wikipedia article, universally acclaimed) - that such campaigns as this one with limited support using quasi-violent methods do not generally work.
    What does 'quasi-violent' mean?
    Peaceful but annoying?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,758

Kamala Harris’s price is an enduring mystery. But Nate Silver rates her chances so what do I know?

I am really surprised how poorly she is doing. She is just not catching fire at all.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    rpjs said:

Charles said:

Biden-Buttigieg here we come.

Theres no chance that ticket will be mocked as Biden Buttplug
    Trump’s insults are usually crushing because they pick out a weakness of the candidate and amplify it (Lying Ted, Little Mario, Pochahontos etc).

“Buttplug” would just be crass and insulting and I don’t think it would stick / be effective as a name
    While it’s not one of the Seven Dirty Words, I can’t see the US networks allowing “buttplug” out on air, except maybe in the late night chat shows.
    Thinks

Googles "Seven Dirty Words"

"Seven Dirty Words", by George Carlin

Oh... :)
    Any expectations that Brexit will be moved forward at all when the HoC returns next week?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    isam said:

Old maid bicycling to holy communion through the morning mist alert.

Though it doesn't look misty tbf.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting, they note that for Paraguay, "virtually all the emissions are from vehicle manufacturing, as the power is incredibly low carbon."

As the Iguacu Falls are on their eastern border: hydroelectric?

And what do we do when we run out of those metals? There's not an infinitely large supply. It might be more cost-effective to just live with the consequences of climate change.
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Why? the Stations of the Cross are a longstanding Christian tradition. Not my cup of tea.

isam said:

Er... The Easter story is sad? Or the fact that a churchyard is being used to explain it to children?
    Don’t be on the front foot to disagree ALL the time. The story is sad
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545
    Does that mean they will not even vote?

Maybe TSEs tip that the Tories will get less than 10% is not so wide of the mark....

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Itaipu dam on the Parana river.

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

What does 'quasi-violent' mean?
    Peaceful but annoying?
    In this case, violence against property rather than people, although it can mean highly disruptive and/or aggressive. I'd say this qualifies. Certainly they might be compared to Gandhi - who ultimately got part what he wanted, (because he was in the right and his opponents were in the wrong) but was not the most important reason why it happened when and how it did.

@Benpointer there is no coherent argument as to why Swansea was cancelled, which is why you haven't heard one. Officially it was because the price guarantee required was too high. Unofficially the likeliest answer seems to be that it would have rendered the new generation of nuclear uneconomic, but that had already been promised.

Anyway, I have to go. I wish everyone a green, peaceful and happy Easter, and highly recommend Cyclefree's 'rant' about gardens for anyone who wants to talk about ecology.
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

I didn't disagree, I asked a couple of questions.
    viewcode said:

And what do we do when we run out of those metals? There's not an infinitely large supply. It might be more cost-effective to just live with the consequences of climate change.
    Increasing incomes makes it far easier to tackle environmental problems, rather than trying to tackle environmental problems by preventing incomes from increasing.

nico67 said:

A gay man winning over the key swing states , good luck with that .

Good luck with fundamentalist christians voting for a serial liar and adulterer, something literally against the ten commandments, except that is what happened. It can be dangerous to place your bets on the basis of your prejudice about voters' prejudices.
    I don't think even hardline evangelicals are that bothered by a bit of botty action these days.
    For all your US statistical porn action (probably nsfw).

https://tinyurl.com/y4lppszo
    Bless you.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Increasing incomes makes it far easier to tackle environmental problems, rather than trying to tackle environmental problems by preventing incomes from increasing.
    Why do opponents of climate change economics generally attack the science rather than the economics?

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Why do opponents of climate change economics generally attack the science rather than the economics?
    Probably because they distrust the motives of their opponents. They are right to do so, but you are right, they'd be on better ground attacking the economics.

Terrifying article. Rings horribly true.

https://twitter.com/Freedland/status/1119174786633039872

It's a seriously good piece of work.
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

What the Easter story?

Certainly cruel death is rather integral to the story, but resurrection and redemption is rather the point of it.

Not my cup of tea, as I find a lot of the iconography of it rather sado-masochistic, but I understand why other Christians see it differently.
    viewcode said:

The point being is that our posterity may not be able to live with the consequences at all, at any price. We risk an existential threat to our species.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    isam said:

I know. The rebate cut in the joint of the cross is oversize by at least 2mm. Don't lose hope. It'll all be better after brexit.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

(Note to self. Buy Rio Tinto)
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

The point being is that our posterity may not be able to live with the consequences at all, at any price. We risk an existential threat to our species.
    Global warming will lead to the extinction of humans? That’s a bit alarmist, isn’t it?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Global warming will lead to the extinction of humans? That’s a bit alarmist, isn’t it?
    Sounds more like bollox to me, only solution is to reduce the number of people on the planet. Plagues, pestilence and culls required. At some point it will be dog eat dog for food and water if we keep breeding so many stupid people.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    viewcode said:

We won’t run out of them.
    Proven reserves underestimate salvation is available; recycling of course; alternate chemistries for batteries (in the near term, vanadium will probably replace cobalt in cathodes, for example); perovskites for solar panels etc.
    And it will almost certainly not be more cost effective to live with climate change.
    edited April 2019

nico67 said:

Good luck with fundamentalist christians voting for a serial liar and adulterer, something literally against the ten commandments, except that is what happened. It can be dangerous to place your bets on the basis of your prejudice about voters' prejudices.
    I don't think even hardline evangelicals are that bothered by a bit of botty action these days.

[speedreads]

OK, there's always a problem with stats like this. Pornhub et al users are not representative of the wider population, and you cant jump from "the biggest term searched for by pornhub users in California is "lesbian"" to "people in California are into lesbian porn". Also some of the stats aren't really useful: the most rapidly gaining search term by users in Washington State is "hentai", and the usefulness of this is...um? One should invest in tentacle futures? Pantie stocks?

(Don't google it btw)

However I did like the terms that states searched for more often in comparison with other states. It's almost applicable and you can really use it to reinforce your prejudices: "Hey, Confederate states! So you search for "black girl white guy" more often than Union states, huh? Yeah, we gotcha guys! Uh, huh..."

But i would have preferred numbers as well are graphics. I've spoken of "the tyranny of percentages" frequently, and I would have liked absolute numbers as well as relative ones.
    edited April 2019
    Democrats vow to investigate Trump in wake of Mueller report

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/19/mueller-report-democrats-investigate-subpoena

They really need to move on...We know Trump and the truth are often distant relations and that Trump has no issue fighting dirty and it isn't a real surprise that when offered dirt on an opponent he was more than happy with the situation (and the fake outrage from the Democrats, who I am sure where sends umpteen gloating emails /IMs a second when the dodgy dossier came out about Trump).

But they aren't going to change anybodies minds continuing to chase this, rather than fight Trump on the numerous other issues.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    edited April 2019
    viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

OK, there's always a problem with stats like this. Pornhub et al users are not representative of the wider population, and you cant jump from "the biggest term searched for by pornhub users in California is "lesbian"" to "people in California are into lesbian porn". Also some of the stats aren't really useful: the most rapidly gaining search term by users in Washington State is "hentai", and the usefulness of this is...um? One should invest in tentacle futures? Pantie stocks?

(Don't google it btw)

However I did like the terms that states searched for more often in comparison with other states. It's almost applicable and you can really use it to reinforce your prejudices: "Hey, Confederate states! So you search for "black girl white guy" more often than Union states, huh? Yeah, we gotcha guys! Uh, huh..."

But i would have preferred numbers as well are graphics. I've spoken of "the tyranny of percentages" frequently, and I would have liked absolute numbers as well as relative ones.
    What does Hentai even mean
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Nahh

(Sorry. To preclude a lenghty and unfulfilling debate, I think predictions of many people dying in future climate disasters should be placed in context of the realities of many people dying in present climate disasters. Floods, storms, earthquakes etc kill a shit-ton of people right now. The planet is much bigger than humanity)
    Nigelb said:

We won’t run out of them.

I'm not sure that's true.

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

(Don't google it btw)

I think it roughly translates as someone who does unspeakable things with turnips.

Democrats vow to investigate Trump in wake of Mueller report

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/19/mueller-report-democrats-investigate-subpoena

They really need to move on...We know Trump and the truth are often distant relations and that Trump has no issue fighting dirty and it isn't a real surprise that when offered dirt on an opponent he was more than happy with the situation (and the fake outrage from the Democrats, who I am sure where sends umpteen gloating emails /IMs a second when the dodgy dossier came out about Trump).

But they aren't going to change anybodies minds continuing to chase this, rather than fight Trump on the numerous other issues.

Desperately searching for that smoking gun. Perhaps they should get on with governing?
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Wow, now there's a serious hurdle to get over. But yes. Stupid.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    isam said:

Actually a very good idea, saw the real stations of the Cross myself in Jerusalem 2 months ago
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    isam said:

I was prevented from entering my local Waitrose this morning by a column of people following someone carrying a wooden cross round the village.

This is not the #Brexit I voted for...
    malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

(Don't google it btw)

I'm surprised that brother/sister isn't more popular in the Deep South.
    malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

(Don't google it btw)

I don't know. The difficulty with analysing grey-area phenomena (things that are not against the law but socially disdained such as prostitution, pornography and - yes - gambling[1]) is that terms are not fixed in meaning and can mean different things to different groups, who may also use them as shibboleths. The best I can come up with is "pornography associated with anime characters or themes", but I'm sure somebody more knowledegable will laugh at me for that.

[1] One of the reasons why I had an argument with Nick about the restriction of FOBTs is that wealthy English people restricting the gambling of the working class whilst enabling their own is a class struggle theme in England since the Norman invasion.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Sean_F said:

Icarus said:

Reports, completely unverifiable, that Conservative postal vote has collapsed. Icarus is standing in Misterton ward for Harborough council. Conservatives proposing 2,750 new homes on farmland in the ward - not very popular!

It never is, except people then complain that housing is unaffordable.
    Exactly, in my experience LDs are the biggest NIMBYs around when it comes to new housing
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

(Don't google it btw)

I think it roughly translates as someone who does unspeakable things with turnips.
    It means we are all going to be plagued by porn ads once the Google and Facebook tracking cookies and AI get to work on this thread.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

(Don't google it btw)

Porn has to be a fantasy.

Why would Southerners fantasise about something that happens to them everyday?
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

(Don't google it btw)

I assume one only needs pornography if the images are not freely available in the immediate neighbourhoood. Which oddly reminds me of "survivorship bias"... :)
  • Hentai is porn in cartoon form.

So I am told.
    Scott_P said:

isam said:

I was prevented from entering my local Waitrose this morning by a column of people following someone carrying a wooden cross round the village.

This is not the #Brexit I voted for...
    If you voted for Brexit Scott, you've had us all fooled for months.

My son and a pal suggested at school that there should be a cull of all the Christians to reduce over population. They were warned by their teacher that any such suggestion in an exam paper (Nat 5s next month) would be reported.
  • IIRC Hentai literally in Japanese means ‘strange desires.’
    Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Indeed.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

(Don't google it btw)

Is the number one term in Yeovil "technological solutions"?
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

(Don't google it btw)

Deleted on the basis half the world got there first.

IIRC Hentai literally in Japanese means ‘strange desires.’

You mean something like schoolgirl/octopus?
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

I know that. But how else do you explain things to children.

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

(Don't google it btw)

I hear that used to be popular in Dublin, too.
  • Sean_F said:

Yah.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited April 2019
    @rottenborough - South America is exceptionally blessed when it comes to renewable energy and water. In Brazil, they don’t bother with wind or solar in a significant way because hydropower is so abundant, and they have a population of over 200 million.

@DavidL and @ydoethur - there are plenty of reasons why the Swansea tidal scheme was a disaster waiting to happen. See here, and the other articles linked within:

http://euanmearns.com/rip-the-swansea-bay-tidal-lagoon/

On that note, I hope everyone has a glorious Easter weekend!
    Right now gridwatch is estimating that we are getting more than 27% of our power from solar and less than 10% from wind. I know its a nice day and all but it is incredible how quickly our solar capacity has increased. It seems a lot less intrusive than all these wind turbines all over the place too.

But Swansea was a no brainer, it really was.

Sean_F said:

Yah.
    There are some pretty odd fanfics out there, too.

"Her Romp With Centaurs" and "The Mare That Mounts the World" are definitely NSFW.

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

[speedreads]

(Don't google it btw)

Is it "turnips" in Scotland?

[runs and hides under table]
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Yah.
    There are some pretty odd fanfics out there, too.

"Her Romp With Centaurs" and "The Mare That Mounts the World" are definitely NSFW.
    Booker prize candidates?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

@ydoethur

It really doesn't matter whether the cause has merit or not. Demos designed to make the world a better place have the spin off of making us a more caring people and more likely to face off the dark and ugly forces of Trump and his ilk. The 50th Anniversary of of te Summer of Love seems an appropriate time.
    edited April 2019
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

@ydoethur

It really doesn't matter whether the cause has merit or not. Demos designed to make the world a better place have the spin off of making us a more caring people and more likely to face off the dark and ugly forces of Trump and his ilk. The 50th Anniversary of of te Summer of Love seems an appropriate time.
    That was either '67 or' 87 wasn't it?

Personally I think human extinction unlikely even with 6 degree temperature rises by the end of the century, though there would be multiple extinctions of other less adaptible species. Civilisational and cultural collapse is very possible though, with multiple failed states across the globe.

I am not sure Rio Tinto is the best investment to exploit the boom in electric vehicles and renewables. I favour Antofagasta and S32. Consumerist Capitalism is part of the problem, but astute capitalists will make good money out of the solution too.
This discussion has been closed.