Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Michael Gove – the case against

12346»

Comments

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Boris’s October pledge is doing the trick.

https://twitter.com/annietrev/status/1135533223071617024?s=21
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I can't help feeling that trudging around the Royal Collection isn't quite Trump's idea of a fun afternoon.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    > @MarkHopkins said:
    > The legal argument for why we have probably already have left the EU:
    >
    > https://lawyersforbritain.org/article-50-of-the-treaty-on-european-union-what-it-actually-says
    >
    > https://lawyersforbritain.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Article-50-TEU-Part-I-and-Part-II-23.5.19-by-Stanley-Brodie-QC.pdf

++++++++++++

Phew. In which case, let's all go worry about something else.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Good job England bat deep.....
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > I can't help feeling that trudging around the Royal Collection isn't quite Trump's idea of a fun afternoon.

Are there no nudes in the collection?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > I can't help feeling that trudging around the Royal Collection isn't quite Trump's idea of a fun afternoon.

Somebody said down thread Queenie would find ways to subtly show her opinion of The Donald...making his trudge around looking at a load of old stuff seems like one.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    > @Verulamius said:
    > To what extent could Heseltine's view of Thatcher, who was also Education Secretary of State, apply to Gove?
    >
    > "Asked how he would describe the woman who went on to lead the country for more than 11 years, he said she came "from a certain social background, one step up the ladder of economic success, with it a lot of the characteristics that you associate with people who have just made it, a certain intolerance of those who haven't, a certain suspicion of those who are further up the ladder, a certain bigotry, slightly over-simplistic solutions about the nature of the society in which they live".
    >
    > The Conservative grandee, who was a junior minister at the time and went on to challenge Mrs Thatcher for the Tory leadership in 1990, said there was one side to her personality "which conformed to type" and another "which had the intellect to rise way above it".
    >
    > "You were wise to engage more seriously with the latter than the former."

You wouldn't put Heseltine anywhere the top drawer either. About a step and a half in front of Alderman Roberts I would say!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    I feel the backstop could be acceptable to the Commons if the EU endorse the Treaty of Troyes.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Unfortunately so. Bonkers the lot of them: you'd have thought that one wouldn't exactly need to be the most perceptive of politicos to see that copying Theresa May's mistake, under even worse conditions, isn't the smartest move in the world.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

> @MarkHopkins said:

> https://lawyersforbritain.org/article-50-of-the-treaty-on-european-union-what-it-actually-says

> https://lawyersforbritain.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Article-50-TEU-Part-I-and-Part-II-23.5.19-by-Stanley-Brodie-QC.pdf

++++++++++++

Phew. In which case, let's all go worry about something else.

If true, it means that Britain and the EU are like one of those cartoon characters that run off a cliff and then their legs keep spinning in mid-air until they catch up with the gravity of the situation.

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    > @williamglenn said:
    > Boris’s October pledge is doing the trick.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/annietrev/status/1135533223071617024?s=21

Boy, these people are gonna be pissed when he backs out of it in the autumn...
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    > @argyllrs said:
    > > @argyllrs said:
    > > With Labour's candidate being outed, what chance is there of a massive late swing to LD to make seat competitive? LD @ BF 45-1
    >
    > Peterborough by-election BTW

It's a two horse race, where's my barchart?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    > @TGOHF said:
    > Rory seems to be making a fool of himself in Ulster today.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/mechanonplacet/status/1135271221585678336

The Brexiteer unionist who wrote that thread would be better advised to worry about why Brexit is increasing the political detachment between Britain and Northern Ireland.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    NEW THREAD
    > @logical_song said:
    > > @argyllrs said:
    > > > @argyllrs said:
    > > > With Labour's candidate being outed, what chance is there of a massive late swing to LD to make seat competitive? LD @ BF 45-1
    > >
    > > Peterborough by-election BTW
    >
    > It's a two horse race, where's my barchart?

How many postal votes in already?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837

Boris knows the parliamentary arithmetic and Bercow's inclination to give parliament a say on this as well as anyone. So he can't bleat that he couldn't do it because he knows the current state of play pre-October 31st.
    This should all hasten the death of the Tories when he turns out to be May the Second come November.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

> @Verulamius said:

> To what extent could Heseltine's view of Thatcher, who was also Education Secretary of State, apply to Gove?

>

> "Asked how he would describe the woman who went on to lead the country for more than 11 years, he said she came "from a certain social background, one step up the ladder of economic success, with it a lot of the characteristics that you associate with people who have just made it, a certain intolerance of those who haven't, a certain suspicion of those who are further up the ladder, a certain bigotry, slightly over-simplistic solutions about the nature of the society in which they live".

>

> The Conservative grandee, who was a junior minister at the time and went on to challenge Mrs Thatcher for the Tory leadership in 1990, said there was one side to her personality "which conformed to type" and another "which had the intellect to rise way above it".

>

> "You were wise to engage more seriously with the latter than the former."

You wouldn't put Heseltine anywhere the top drawer either. About a step and a half in front of Alderman Roberts I would say!

I'd argue quite the opposite. Dockland's renovation - and the massive business and financial hub it has become - is down to him - along with Reg Ward and others. Heseltine's concept of garden festivals to help regenerate urban areas had mixed successes, but was better than just ignoring the issues.

Statues should be erected to Heseltine for the Docklands regeneration alone.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    > @rottenborough said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > Boris’s October pledge is doing the trick.
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/annietrev/status/1135533223071617024?s=21
    >
    > Boy, these people are gonna be pissed when he backs out of it in the autumn...

Boris isn’t one to worry about the morning after.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    > @williamglenn said:
    > Boris’s October pledge is doing the trick.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/annietrev/status/1135533223071617024?s=21

Not only believing in the bin, but energising it as well.

Beam me up, Boris?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2019
    Updated spreadsheet with 9 new Boris supporters according to Guido:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    > > @Verulamius said:
    >
    > > To what extent could Heseltine's view of Thatcher, who was also Education Secretary of State, apply to Gove?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > "Asked how he would describe the woman who went on to lead the country for more than 11 years, he said she came "from a certain social background, one step up the ladder of economic success, with it a lot of the characteristics that you associate with people who have just made it, a certain intolerance of those who haven't, a certain suspicion of those who are further up the ladder, a certain bigotry, slightly over-simplistic solutions about the nature of the society in which they live".
    >
    > >
    >
    > > The Conservative grandee, who was a junior minister at the time and went on to challenge Mrs Thatcher for the Tory leadership in 1990, said there was one side to her personality "which conformed to type" and another "which had the intellect to rise way above it".
    >
    > >
    >
    > > "You were wise to engage more seriously with the latter than the former."
    >
    >
    >
    > You wouldn't put Heseltine anywhere the top drawer either. About a step and a half in front of Alderman Roberts I would say!
    >
    > I'd argue quite the opposite. Dockland's renovation - and the massive business and financial hub it has become - is down to him - along with Reg Ward and others. Heseltine's concept of garden festivals to help regenerate urban areas had mixed successes, but was better than just ignoring the issues.
    >
    > Statues should be erected to Heseltine for the Docklands regeneration alone.

Wouldn't dispute that for a moment; an able and driven man. It's his pedigree, and therefore right to comment on others that I was thinking about.Very similar to my own in fact.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    edited June 2019
    So - democratic mandate has been completely fulfilled and any fresh referendum during this phase of uncertainty cannot be argued by anyone to be remotely undemocratic in any way, shape, or form.

Excellent. Thanks for that.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,547
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > Good job England bat deep.....

Seriously up against it now.
    > @Andy_Cooke said:
    >
    >

> So - democratic mandate has been completely fulfilled and any fresh referendum during this phase of uncertainty cannot be argued by anyone to be remotely undemocratic in any way, shape, or form.
    >
    > Excellent. Thanks for that.

That's just encouraging Farage to go all Henry VI Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2...
    > @OldKingCole said:
    > > @JosiasJessop said:
    > > > @Verulamius said:
    > >
    > > > To what extent could Heseltine's view of Thatcher, who was also Education Secretary of State, apply to Gove?

> > > "Asked how he would describe the woman who went on to lead the country for more than 11 years, he said she came "from a certain social background, one step up the ladder of economic success, with it a lot of the characteristics that you associate with people who have just made it, a certain intolerance of those who haven't, a certain suspicion of those who are further up the ladder, a certain bigotry, slightly over-simplistic solutions about the nature of the society in which they live".

> > > The Conservative grandee, who was a junior minister at the time and went on to challenge Mrs Thatcher for the Tory leadership in 1990, said there was one side to her personality "which conformed to type" and another "which had the intellect to rise way above it".

> > > "You were wise to engage more seriously with the latter than the former."

> > You wouldn't put Heseltine anywhere the top drawer either. About a step and a half in front of Alderman Roberts I would say!
    > >
    > > I'd argue quite the opposite. Dockland's renovation - and the massive business and financial hub it has become - is down to him - along with Reg Ward and others. Heseltine's concept of garden festivals to help regenerate urban areas had mixed successes, but was better than just ignoring the issues.
    > >
    > > Statues should be erected to Heseltine for the Docklands regeneration alone.
    >
    > Wouldn't dispute that for a moment; an able and driven man. It's his pedigree, and therefore right to comment on others that I was thinking about.Very similar to my own in fact.

You're a self-made multi-millionaire ?

Pretty sure Heseltine fancied himself a number of steps up 'the ladder of economic success' when he provided that quote...

He never did have a reputation for modesty.
This discussion has been closed.