Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson – the man who gets overstated by the polls

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited June 2019
    Silly Rory, thinking being a conservative means more than how much you support Brexit.

And now backing Corbyn's plan. Backing Corbyn is non-starter, but in fairness so is his whole campaign, so that's fine.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Rory steady at 25.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Rory supporting the Letwin move now
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Scott_P said:
    Weave a circle round him thrice
    And close your eyes in holy dread
    For he on honeydew have fed
    And found a Brexit compromise
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    MikeL said:

Was Rory's launch a bit reminiscent of Cameron's 2005 Conference speech?

Starting to feel as if he could come from nowhere to win it.

It takes something to interest my wife but Rory has inspired her and it occurs to us that in a tv debate he would win it by a mile with the public
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited June 2019

Tories have a major problem (well several, but here's one). Boris can reach out and drag Farage voters back. Rory can reach out a bring floating Lab/Lib/Tory voters.

Who is more likely to bring enough votes in and beat Corbyn?

I'm not so sure the answer is actually Boris.

According to Yougov it is Boris as he cuts the Brexit Party back from over 20% to 13% and gets the Tories to 29% while with most other leadership contenders the Brexit Party remain over 20% and the Tories trail the LDs or Labour with the exception of Raab who still fails to cut them back as much as Boris.

Whichever leadership contender wins it makes little difference to Labour or LD support both of which stay in the 20 to 22% range regardless

• Options
    Rory has obviously been thinking about how he would run and how he would launch in great detail and probably for some time.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    HYUFD said:

Tories have a major problem (well several, but here's one). Boris can reach out and drag Farage voters back. Rory can reach out a bring floating Lab/Lib/Tory voters.

It needs repeating time and time and time again. You win power in this country when you win the centre.
  • Options

MikeL said:

It takes something to interest my wife but Rory has inspired her and it occurs to us that in a tv debate he would win it by a mile with the public
    It is essential he gets to the debates. Could be an absolute game changer.

How many go forward to the TV debates?
  • Options
    Naming the Attorney General and disagreeing with him now, there's another potential vote lost!
  • Options

Rory steady at 25.

I've put some money on him just now but there's not a prayer.

We're not dealing with the public. We're dealing with Tory members.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

MikeL said:

His challenge is to stay in the game until then.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It needs repeating time and time and time again. You win power in this country when you win the centre.
    Rory would destroy Corbyn's Labour.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Rory would destroy Corbyn's Labour.
    Yep
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

MikeL said:

Are we definitely having TV debates? I thought Boris was havering?

Stewart has done well. Boris will be nervous of him.....
  • Options

MikeL said:

On tuesday the 18th June a tv debate will take place with those candidates still in the race
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    PeterC said:

HYUFD said:

PeterC said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:
    Steve Baker calls for the abolition of the monarchy and the installation of Mr and Mrs Peter Bone as "Dear Leader and Leaderene"
    To be fair they only asked a question and nodded, they did not comment for or against Brexit just asked about its implications.

That said while the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are almost certainly
    Leavers and the Queen Mother was reportedly very anti EU, William and Kate are almost certainly Remainers as is Prince Charles. The age divide runs even amongst the Royals
    Extraordinary insights! The evidence being what, precisely?
    The Queen asking what the EU has ever done for us at a banquet, the Queen Mother saw the EU as a German plot, the Cambridges are basically young metropolitan liberals, Prince Charles is a climate change obsessive and basically a LD
    Very flimsy evidence combined with pure invention. Many of the older generation are motivated by the 'never again' reaction to WWII, and support European unity for that reason. Charles is an eccentric fogey with a number of niche obsessions. This does not make him a LibDem. The Cambridges have been a model of political neutrality, more county set than metroplitan liberals.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/apr/01/queenmother.monarchy3

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/16/prince-william-appears-to-signal-support-for-remaining-in-eu
  • Options
    Byronic said:

MikeL said:

Are we definitely having TV debates? I thought Boris was havering?

Stewart has done well. Boris will be nervous of him.....
    EDIT: I see we are. Good. They could indeed be a game-changer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48547524
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

According to Yougov it is Boris as he cuts the Brexit Party back from over 20% to 13% and gets the Tories to 29% while with most other leadership contenders the Brexit Party remain over 20% and the Tories trail the LDs or Labour with the exception of Raab who still fails to cut them back as much as Boris.

Whichever leadership contender wins it makes little difference to Labour or LD support both of which stay in the 20 to 22% range regardless

I don't buy that. YouGov polling now does not take account of the voters having no idea who Rory is. Imagine him in a series of TV debates against Jezza and his wild ideas about worldwide conspiracies of jews and american imperialists.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Brilliant speech by Rory Stewart .

• Options
    That's the ERG vote gone then as Rory blames them for no leaving in March
  • Options

kle4 said:

Rory the PM after Boris has failed and Corbyn has won a majority and made a total hash?

Yup, that hope is enough to keep me in the Tory party for the foreseeable future.

#TeamRory
    At some time it may be time to pull the plug. At some point a party is too far gone to return to what it was.
    Indeed.

That YouGov polling on proroguing Parliament was quite the eye opener.

I haven't left the Tory Party, it has l left me.
    You left it in 2017, you voted LD
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Tory remainers may as well rally around Rory Stewart rather than Jeremy Hunt. Both have no chance of winning but Stewart would at least give them a fresh starting point and vision to campaign for in the near future.
  • Options
    Rory still doesn't have a plan unfortunately. I wanted the deal to pass, but he's just got the same proven incorrect theory that various MPs will come behind the deal now, and they will blame the Brexiteers for not leaving. Ok, he has his citizen assembly idea, but I don't see how that works. I'm told it has worked on issues in some other places, but I think you just get another body which would become deadlocked between extremists.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Steve Bray asks about revoking Article 50.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Tory remainers may as well rally around Rory Stewart rather than Jeremy Hunt. Both have no chance of winning but Stewart would at least give them a fresh starting point and vision to campaign for in the near future.

Agreed
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    nico67 said:

Yes, Rory is by far the best LD leadership candidate to succeed Vince Cable...
  • Options
    edited June 2019

That's the ERG vote gone then as Rory blames them for no leaving in March

I don't think Rory was ever depending on the support of Mr Rees Mogg.

Ooh, look. I just called him Rory. That is a sign.

"Rory" needs to get to the final two, replacing the lacklustre Hunt as the One Nation, Soft Brexit candidate, versus Boris. He then needs Boris to self-destruct.

Not impossible.
  • Options
    This is a masterclass. More like an US POTUS debate with questions from the audience.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Yes Rory is by far the best LD leadership candidate to succeed Vince Cable...
    Take your UKIP blinkers off
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

You’re the one in the wrong party.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Don't forget Hancock
  • Options
    At least Rory knows that most others disagree with him about disavowing extremes. He's trying at least.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I don't buy that. YouGov polling now does not take account of the voters having no idea who Rory is. Imagine him in a series of TV debates against Jezza and his wild ideas about worldwide conspiracies of jews and american imperialists.
    To be fair to Rory it only included Boris, Raab, Javid, Gove and Hunt
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

I expect Hyufd to join TBP as he would be at home there and leave us one nation conservatives to retake our party back from the hardliners
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Rory the PM after Boris has failed and Corbyn has won a majority and made a total hash?

Yup, that hope is enough to keep me in the Tory party for the foreseeable future.

#TeamRory
    At some time it may be time to pull the plug. At some point a party is too far gone to return to what it was.
    Indeed.

You really are as thick as pig shit aren't you?

I vote swapped, mine was a Lib/Lab marginal, and my vote swap helped the Tories gain NE Derbyshire from Labour.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Rory Stewart:

"He pledges to walk through every county in the country if he becomes prime minister, "listening and walking, listening and walking" to ordinary people."

I'll go with him if he does the county tops. ;)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

I guess you have not noticed the polling today a plurality of Tory voters would even prorugue Parliament to enforce Brexit
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

I guess you have not noticed the polling today a plurality of Tory voters would even prorugue Parliament to enforce Brexit
    Which poll
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    Gadfly said:
    At long last, there is a proper statesman in the making
  • Options
    I cannot help but feel Boris' biggest trump card is his name recognition. It gives him a huge boost in some polling, which spooks or encourages MPs, which adds to his sense as the frontrunner, and then the members go in knowing he is favourite, and that the person (whoever it is) standing against him, is not as firm on Brexit, and that is all they need to know.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1138496990281633792

I do think the Labour wheeze will really knock BoZo off the air tomorrow
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

#TeamRory
    Indeed.

You really are as thick as pig shit aren't you?

I vote swapped, mine was a Lib/Lab marginal, and my vote swap helped the Tories gain NE Derbyshire from Labour.
    So you still voted LD then, thanks for confirming and the Tories won NE Derbyshire by more than 1 vote
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Further sign of just how bad things have gotten. People will do anything to get what they want, that's absurd. Is there no cost that is too high?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1138496990281633792

I do think the Labour wheeze will really knock BoZo off the air tomorrow

Will he even be on air
  • Options
    Rory is good, but he still isn't telling us How Brexit. Unless I missed it.
  • Options
    How awesome are Radiohead?

Radiohead have scuppered a blackmail attempt by releasing 18 hours of music recorded during the making of their classic album OK Computer.

Tapes from the sessions were allegedly stolen last week, with hackers demanding $150,000 for their return.

Instead, the band released the tapes in full, with profits going to climate crisis activists Extinction Rebellion.

"For £18 you can find out if we should have paid that ransom," said guitarist Jonny Greenwood in a statement.

Released in 1997, OK Computer is often called Radiohead's masterpiece - marking a huge sonic leap forward from its equally-beloved predecessor The Bends.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48597096
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    Cicero said:

That wasn't an ad hominem attack on a great officer of state.
    Neither was this.
  • Options
    Hah. Cleverly polite dismissal of a maddened Remainer.
  • Options

How awesome are Radiohead?

I decline to answer that...
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Sadly not. He hopes the deal might squeak through now, even though he himself pointed out that things are more extreme now, not less.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Rory reminds me of Eddie Redmayne
  • Options
    If Boris is politically clever (is he? I really wonder) then he will be magnanimous to Rory S, who is clearly a rising star on the left of the party, which needs to be mollified.

Boris should be generous, and admiring, and say he would put Stewart in a significant Cabinet position.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    His theme of the balance between cowardice and foolhardiness etc is straight out of Aristotle's Ethics. The golden mean. The balance in the centre.
  • Options
    It should mean that. Although given they are essentially between leaders and thus, in the unlikely event he wins the contest, his policy approach would be seen as correct, perhaps they will try to justify not doing so as an exceptional circumstance.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Which poll
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/11/brits-oppose-proroguing-parliament-force-through-n

2017 Tory voters back proroguing Parliament to enforce Brexit by 43% to 36%
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The shocking thing is that Rory is just making obvious, mainstream, Conservative points, clearly and without equivocation. That is shocking because we have become so inured to fudge, fantasy and extremism that the moderate, sensible voices have been cowed into silence, as indeed they have in Labour.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

If Boris is politically clever (is he? I really wonder) then he will be magnanimous to Rory S, who is clearly a rising star on the left of the party, which needs to be mollified.

Boris should be generous, and admiring, and say he would put Stewart in a significant Cabinet position.

If it is true as stated below that Rory has said he would not serve under Boris, then all the more reason for Boris to say he will offer a significant position to him, as it would be Rory snubbing him not the other way around.
  • Options

The shocking thing is that Rory is just making obvious, mainstream, Conservative points, clearly and without equivocation. That is shocking because we have become so inured to fudge, fantasy and extremism that the moderate, sensible voices have been cowed into silence, as indeed they have in Labour.

Conservatism is Brexit, nothing more, nothing less. That is what the massive surge to BXP has taught us.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Last thing on the Rory Stewart launch stream was a "Stop Brexit" shout. :D
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Conservatism is Brexit, nothing more, nothing less. That is what the massive surge to BXP has taught us.
    Which is why we need a No Deal Brexit.

To make people face reality.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    Scott_P said:
    What’s the bet that some paper, possibly one based abroad, publishes the story anyway?
    Or some MP mentions it during PMQs?
  • Options
    Re. Brexit, he has said he'll support the cross party strategy to block No Deal (good man) and he talked at the end of the main speech about courage being not chasing the unicorns, the fantasies but facing reality.

I'd read that to going for something close to May's-EU deal but I could be wrong.

He's streets ahead of the other candidates and would toast Corbyn. But he won't be chosen by the lunatics who have taken over the asylum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

it would be Rory snubbing him not the other way around.

For which Rory would get even more plaudits
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
  • Options
    Byronic said:

He wants to find a way to force enough Labour MPs to vote for it. That’s what the citizens’ assembly idea is all about.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    kle4 said:

In that case we need a new party to take over the great Conservative traditions of pragmatism, sound finances, opportunity, and respect for ourselves, for others and for our history. The Big Tent Party, anyone?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    I have no doubt that Rory is the single most impressive politician in British politics right now by a country mile. And yet. If he can't win over his fellow MPs, and then his Party members, within mere days, he will end up a big failure.

I don't buy this nonsense of running this time to prepare for the next contest. The time when he can make a difference is now. The country needs him to win.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Scott_P said:
    Of course he's refusing to talk about it, that's the whole point of an NDA. The judge's summing up on his court action against Associated Newspapers made the point that party [E] wished the matter to remain private also.
    Why is Buzzfeed trying to drag [E] to a place she does not want to go ?????
  • Options

We know where that came from surely
  • Options
    In all seriousness, it was a good event, but the simple fact of saying he would vote for Corbyn's motion surely means while he might squeak past the first round he will get no further. Tory MPs might well agree with a lot of what he says, but most of them could not stomach even talking to Corbyn to deliver Brexit, let alone to stop the only likely Brexit on offer.

In less seriousness, I hope Boris rides a motorbike into an arena to open his event.
  • Options

We know where that came from surely
    Williamglenn
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848

Byronic said:

He wants to find a way to force enough Labour MPs to vote for it. That’s what the citizens’ assembly idea is all about.
    But how will he do that, when they know that voting against it invariably leads to an election?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

Re. Brexit, he has said he'll support the cross party strategy to block No Deal (good man) and he talked at the end of the main speech about courage being not chasing the unicorns, the fantasies but facing reality.

I'd read that to going for something close to May's-EU deal but I could be wrong.

He's streets ahead of the other candidates and would toast Corbyn. But he won't be chosen by the lunatics who have taken over the asylum.

Well, the event at which I was due to speak was cancelled as it turned out it was at the building on which the helicopter crash landed yesterday. What are the odds, eh!

So have a day in NY to bum around. Have just watched Rory Stewart’s speech and his Q&A. Very impressive. The standout candidate.

If the Tories reject him they are fools. They will, I fear. They are fools.

But I hope Rory will hang on in there for the next time. There is something about him which has been lacking in far too many politicians and which we need in this country.
  • Options

I have no doubt that Rory is the single most impressive politician in British politics right now by a country mile. And yet. If he can't win over his fellow MPs, and then his Party members, within mere days, he will end up a big failure.

I don't buy this nonsense of running this time to prepare for the next contest. The time when he can make a difference is now. The country needs him to win.

It's too much. Jesus Christ could not win the contest if he adopted the 'wrong' policies. Despite being in the Cabinet he was a virtual unknown, now he is a little bit more known. Doing so for the next contest or not, that will have to be enough.

kle4 said:

In that case we need a new party to take over the great Conservative traditions of pragmatism, sound finances, opportunity, and respect for ourselves, for others and for our history. The Big Tent Party, anyone?
    In theory, but pretending their tent was big enough for Grievers and Bakers is part of why the Tories are so messed up. An open event is all well and good, but some standards need to be applied.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Nope - this mess can't be solved. Rory is better off picking up the pieces after Boris has really screwed things up...

Equally I wouldn't be surprised if Rory was leader of the Tories by this time next year...
  • Options
    Thing is, William Hague was immensely gifted and rose to be leader at the worst possible time.

The Conservatives are in serious danger of a mauling. Is this the right time for Rory?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It should mean that. Although given they are essentially between leaders and thus, in the unlikely event he wins the contest, his policy approach would be seen as correct, perhaps they will try to justify not doing so as an exceptional circumstance.
    Maybe it forces May to accept the Opposition motion rather than oppose it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    If Rory Stewart become leader of the Conservative Party, then I think William Of Orange / archer101au would literally explode.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. kle4, 'render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's' = soft on the Empire.

The Jews turned to the Zealots, and that did not end well.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited June 2019
    kle4 said:

It's too much. Jesus Christ could not win the contest if he adopted the 'wrong' policies. Despite being in the Cabinet he was a virtual unknown, now he is a little bit more known. Doing so for the next contest or not, that will have to be enough.

kle4 said:

In theory, but pretending their tent was big enough for Grievers and Bakers is part of why the Tories are so messed up. An open event is all well and good, but some standards need to be applied.
    That could equally be said of McVey, Baker and Rees Mogg and I'm far more likely to vote for a Rory led party than one led by Boris, Rabb or McVey
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2019
    Barnesian said:

Rory reminds me of Eddie Redmayne

I am reminded in a surreal way of Rory the blue lion from Animal Kwackers - which was a 70s kids tv show which some on here may remember.

Each week Rory used to tell a story and was introduced with a song which had the following lyrics.

‘Rory Rory tell us a story. Rory Rory tell it like it is’!!

https://youtu.be/8Y414KH0-fg

https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1970s/animal-kwackers/
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Very good, but he’s going to be killed by going too far. He’s effectively created a meme where he’s running for himself and against his own party.

He hasn’t done anything like enough to defend Conservatism and draw Remainers and other floating voters to his banner and vision.

Had he squared that he’d have a strong chance of making the final two.
  • Options

Rory Stewart:

"He pledges to walk through every county in the country if he becomes prime minister, "listening and walking, listening and walking" to ordinary people."

I'll go with him if he does the county tops. ;)

Rory is the only politician I'm interested in meeting. Ever.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If Rory Stewart become leader of the Conservative Party, then I think William Of Orange / archer101au would literally explode.

Rory Stewart has as much chance of becoming Tory leader now as Liz Kendall did of becoming Labour leader in 2015
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

Steve Bray asks about revoking Article 50.

His very presence in the audience is toxic for Rory.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    Cyclefree said:

Well, the event at which I was due to speak was cancelled as it turned out it was at the building on which the helicopter crash landed yesterday. What are the odds, eh!

So have a day in NY to bum around. Have just watched Rory Stewart’s speech and his Q&A. Very impressive. The standout candidate.

If the Tories reject him they are fools. They will, I fear. They are fools.

But I hope Rory will hang on in there for the next time. There is something about him which has been lacking in far too many politicians and which we need in this country.
    So you turn up in NY and a helicopter just happens to crash into the building next door, and you say this is just coincidence, Cyclefree?

I'd get a good lawyer if I were you.... ;-)
This discussion has been closed.