Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If punters have this right the big loser in the CON debate was

13»

Comments

• Options
    PhukovPhukov Posts: 132

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

I no longer take the piss out of the USA for voting for Trump . Seeing as the UK will soon be turned into a US colony it may aswell start voting in a similar fashion.

I'd go for that over the EU colony that the Brussels twerps joked about.
    One of my rather inchoate theories concerning Brexit was that some Brexiteers were perfectly happy with the UK being ruled by another country, they just thought it should be a different one. See also "Brexit was an argument between two sets of elites".

I was expressing a choice from two options. I would overwhelmingly prefer that we ruled ourselves.
    Who is this we?I would overwhelmingly prefer that you have no power at all over me.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    AndyJS said:

nico67 said:

I think Stewart goes out tomorrow . Even if he had a good performance tonight there’s just not enough more moderate swing votes left.

If Javid had received one vote less today, Stewart might have been able to get most of his transfers and perhaps overtake Gove or Hunt.
    I won't post Bob Hope again
  • Options
    Phukov said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

I no longer take the piss out of the USA for voting for Trump . Seeing as the UK will soon be turned into a US colony it may aswell start voting in a similar fashion.

One of my rather inchoate theories concerning Brexit was that some Brexiteers were perfectly happy with the UK being ruled by another country, they just thought it should be a different one. See also "Brexit was an argument between two sets of elites".

I was expressing a choice from two options. I would overwhelmingly prefer that we ruled ourselves.
    Who is this we?I would overwhelmingly prefer that you have no power at all over me.
    We is the UK, tosser
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Interesting and a very good point .

Call me a snob but I put European culture , values etc way ahead of the USA . I see Brexit as likely to lead to the further Americanization and dumbing down of the country .

With Trumps brand of gutter politics and hateful rhetoric becoming normalized .

Brexit is the battle for the soul of the UK. Corbyn is on the wrong side of history . Once out of the EU orbit the UK will not be able to resist the tractor beam of the Death Star aka Trumps America .
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Ah I see, thank you
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    TGOHF said:

_Anazina_ said:

Talking of PB legends, did Tim ever come back under another name? Be great to see him posting on the current chaos.

Meh - for all his gags he welched on a wager with me .
    tim still owes me a gold sovereign for a losing bet he welched on.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited June 2019

TGOHF said:

_Anazina_ said:

Talking of PB legends, did Tim ever come back under another name? Be great to see him posting on the current chaos.

Tried to wriggle out of paying me what he owed too. Worth a try I suppose, @Neil managed it
  • Options
    nico67 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Call me a snob but I put European culture , values etc way ahead of the USA . I see Brexit as likely to lead to the further Americanization and dumbing down of the country .

Brexit is the battle for the soul of the UK. Corbyn is on the wrong side of history . Once out of the EU orbit the UK will not be able to resist the tractor beam of the Death Star aka Trumps America .
    You're debating the value of two totally obnoxious options. I doubt that EITHER would be acceptable to the vast majority of the UK electorate
  • Options
    I didn't watch, and a foreign friend who follows British politics messaged to ask if I had - I told him I am fed up of it now, and just want out. I really am, who could sit and listen to Rory Stewart talking about spending another 3 years wasting time with this pathetic Withdrawal Agreement? It's saps my energy just thinking about it.

The Tories, and Boris, have one more chance now and then that is it. If we do not leave by October, I can imagine that the betrayal narrative and anger will propel Mr Farage to Number 10 sooner than we think.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Yep.
  • Options

nico67 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

You're debating the value of two totally obnoxious options. I doubt that EITHER would be acceptable to the vast majority of the UK electorate
    But they are the reality. There are no other viable choices.
  • Options

Phukov said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

We is the UK, tosser
    Ah, you're trying to include me in your "we". That's what I was afraid of.
    See, I don't know where you live, but I'd strongly prefer there to either be a border in between us or so many hundreds of millions of people that your vote is insignificant.
    The UK is strangely cursed with a high concentration of people like you. And as I said, I don't want people like you to have any power at all. So fuck your "we".
  • Options

I didn't watch, and a foreign friend who follows British politics messaged to ask if I had - I told him I am fed up of it now, and just want out. I really am, who could sit and listen to Rory Stewart talking about spending another 3 years wasting time with this pathetic Withdrawal Agreement? It's saps my energy just thinking about it.

The Tories, and Boris, have one more chance now and then that is it. If we do not leave by October, I can imagine that the betrayal narrative and anger will propel Mr Farage to Number 10 sooner than we think.

Hard not to sympathise with this view
  • Options

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Cameron .

Destroyed his party .

Destroyed his country .

Destroyed the Union.

At least Blair only fucked other countries .

Last time I checked the Tories were still in power and Scotland was still in the Union and we have not even Brexited yet
    Enjoy it while it lasts . It’s game over for the UK . A Bozo premiership and no deal disaster will finish it off .

Bozo reunites the rightwing vote in Scotland against the SNP and Bozo also will deliver a FTA for GB that avoids No Deal
    Yesterday you were telling us that most Scots support No Deal. You really are an authority on the Scottish nation. I defer to your immense wisdom.
    SD still trying to convince himself that whether you live 5 miles north or south of Berwick makes you from a different race.
    I thought Berwick is in England even though it plays in the Scottish leagues
    It is. Well, it certainly elects 3 councillors to my Northumberland County Council. Which is in England.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    TGOHF said:

Labour to fight with the LDs as a party of Remain after a 2nd referendum.

This time we will follow your instructions- maybe...

twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/1141111046452731904?s=21

That's the opposite of the Guardian story....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Cameron .

Destroyed his party .

Destroyed his country .

Destroyed the Union.

Last time I checked the Tories were still in power and Scotland was still in the Union and we have not even Brexited yet
    Enjoy it while it lasts . It’s game over for the UK . A Bozo premiership and no deal disaster will finish it off .

Bozo reunites the rightwing vote in Scotland against the SNP and Bozo also will deliver a FTA for GB that avoids No Deal
    Yesterday you were telling us that most Scots support No Deal. You really are an authority on the Scottish nation. I defer to your immense wisdom.
    SD still trying to convince himself that whether you live 5 miles north or south of Berwick makes you from a different race.
    It is. Well, it certainly elects 3 councillors to my Northumberland County Council. Which is in England.
    I am from the white half of north london which has historical-ish links with Northumberland
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    rcs1000 said:

Here's a good Boris Johnson story from Jeremy Vine:
    https://www.facebook.com/1691455784407633/posts/2449074521979085/

That is just so funny.
  • Options

nico67 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Bollocks, you're a wimp
  • Options
    nico67 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Interesting. I never felt European until I went to work in Taiwan. Among a very small ex-pat (I.e., immigrant) community, which was overwhelmingly American.
    Then, I knew what being a European was.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

_Anazina_ said:

He paid me in fairness.
  • Options
    Phukov said:

Phukov said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

We is the UK, tosser
    See, I don't know where you live, but I'd strongly prefer there to either be a border in between us or so many hundreds of millions of people that your vote is insignificant.
    The UK is strangely cursed with a high concentration of people like you. And as I said, I don't want people like you to have any power at all. So fuck your "we".
    Democracy is about the collective, so that is what you're dismissing
  • Options

nico67 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Bollocks, you're a wimp
    No, I'm rational.

'Night.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's just occurred to me that Raab supporters might launch a one-off sting on Stewart tomorrow by voting en masse for Javid simply in order to knock out Stewart whose policies they most disagree with. Once he's out they could then vote for their first choices in the following rounds.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited June 2019
    If Labour do shift to full remain it needs to be before a vote or during a conference speech, so that it feels remotely significant. Doing it in the middle of a random week when everyone is talking about the Tory leadership contest wouldn't make much impact.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Cameron .

Destroyed his party .

Destroyed his country .

Destroyed the Union.

I am from the white half of north london which has historical-ish links with Northumberland
    Bruce Castle? Used to live up the street from there.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Cameron .

Destroyed his party .

Destroyed his country .

Destroyed the Union.

Its a temporary set back from the time of Edward I.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    AndyJS said:

It's just occurred to me that Raab supporters might launch a one-off sting on Stewart tomorrow by voting en masse for Javid simply in order to knock out Stewart whose policies they most disagree with. Once he's out they could then vote for their first choices in the following rounds.

I'm sure it has occurred to Boris's people too.....
  • Options
    Phukov said:
    I wonder if it crossed the minds of the BBC to have 1 question, just a token, from someone who is currently a Conservative and actually has a vote in this contest? Probably not.
  • Options

Phukov said:

Phukov said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

We is the UK, tosser
    Democracy is about the collective, so that is what you're dismissing
    Yeah, which collective? Are you Cumbrian, English, British, Unitedkindomish, European, a Citizen of Nowhere?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It is the logical move. However, it assumes Raab fans are rational.
  • Options

nico67 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Bollocks, you're a wimp
    You are the hard man of Brexit Steve Baker, and I claim my €5
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited June 2019
    nico67 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

That depends which parts of America and which parts of Europe, Warren's Massachusetts for example is far less supportive of populist Trumpism than say Salvini's Italy.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/salvini-proclaims-italy-washingtons-best-000929624.html

Plus Switzerland and Norway and Iceland are highly educated, well run, wealthy democracies outside the EU
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Phukov said:
    I wonder if it crossed the minds of the BBC to have 1 question, just a token, from someone who is currently a Conservative and actually has a vote in this contest? Probably not.
    Why? Conservative members make up about two people in every thousand and are completely unrepresentative of the population.
    It's like at PMQs... the best moments come when opposition parties ask questions, whichever party is in power.
    This is a question of who leads the whole country, that's why there are multiple televised hustings at all. If the candidates want a Tory circle jerk, they can organise one themselves, they're quite capable.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

That depends which parts of America and which parts of Europe, Warren's Massachusetts for example is far less supportive of populist Trumpism than say Salvini's Italy.

Plus Switzerland and Norway and Iceland are highly educated, well run, wealthy democracies outside the EU
    And all 3 have freedom of movement . As for the USA if Democrats were in charge all the time I’d rephrase my Death Star analogy !

If you think I dislike the Tories , my hate for the GOP is off the scale , any party who wants to force women into back street abortions , and who wants to force a woman to carry a child conceived by rape or incest are beneath contempt .
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I'm sure it has occurred to Boris's people too.....
    Probably, although their priority appears to be making sure that Hunt stays ahead of Gove.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited June 2019
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

And all 3 have freedom of movement . As for the USA if Democrats were in charge all the time I’d rephrase my Death Star analogy !

If you think I dislike the Tories , my hate for the GOP is off the scale , any party who wants to force women into back street abortions , and who wants to force a woman to carry a child conceived by rape or incest are beneath contempt .
    Most EU nations imposed transition controls on Eastern European migration unlike Blair's UK from 2004 to 2011 but while that was a factor it was sovereignty which was the biggest factor in the Leave vote.

I would also point out that abortion is still illegal in Poland and Northern Ireland unlike the USA and gay marriage is also not legal in Italy or most of Eastern Europe yet either, again unlike the USA. It is a mistake to see Europe solely through a socially liberal eye and the USA solely through a socially conservative one
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Of course. They would argue we have much more in common with the US, and that the US has been (with a few exceptions) more on our side historically than the Europeans.

It's not an unreasonable view, it echoes how Australia saw itself as a UK outpost right up until about 1972.

And then there are the Brexiteers who think it's a false dichotomy, who think that we should support multinational organisations like the WTO, as they are the best guarantors of freedom for mid-sized countries who wish to retain freedom of action.

The first group love Donald Trump, the second don't.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    The Betfair Exchange odds have Hunt and Stewart as second and third favourites, but perhaps it ought to be Gove and Javid in those positions. Javid could knock out Stewart tomorrow, and more of Javid's votes could transfer to Gove than Hunt in the next round.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

Those countries that Leavers talked about all the time before 23 June 2016, and haven't mentioned once since?

With the exception of Lying Dan Hannan, who would just love to be like Switzerland, with the exception of where it contradicts his US paymasters, i.e. everywhere.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Of course. They would argue we have much more in common with the US, and that the US has been (with a few exceptions) more on our side historically than the Europeans.

It's not an unreasonable view, it echoes how Australia saw itself as a UK outpost right up until about 1972.

And then there are the Brexiteers who think it's a false dichotomy, who think that we should support multinational organisations like the WTO, as they are the best guarantors of freedom for mid-sized countries who wish to retain freedom of action.

More appealing to most British people might be CANZUK, which aims to bring about a sort of free movement union of Canada, Australia, the UK and New Zealand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANZUK_International
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

More appealing to most British people might be CANZUK, which aims to bring about a sort of free movement union of Canada, Australia, the UK and New Zealand.

White commonwealth nations only club with zero support in Australia or NZ.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Not zero, but there's certainly a diminishing amount of interest in Australia these days. And I suspect that Western Canada feels similarly.

It's easy to forget how much these countries now look more towards Asia than towards Blighty.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

I've heard this before, but my concern would be that the freedom of movement in question would be for people to move into the UK, not out of it.... :(
  • Options
    edited June 2019

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

All of those countries have significant non-white populations, especially Canada.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Andrew Sullivan:

"I knew Boris at Oxford. He was at Balliol and I was at Magdalen, but we were both debaters in the Oxford Union, and he became president of the Union in 1986, three years after I did, in 1983. We overlapped in his freshman year and, as president, I always loved calling on him to speak before the House, because it was never dull. Union politics back then was cutthroat but also huge fun, and I became quite fond of him because it was hard not to. He charms. He amuses. He has a certain charisma, and always has. That messy mop of blond? The same as when I knew him.

Boris was so posh it was funny. At least that’s how I saw it. And what marked him as different from the other Etonians was his decision to embrace this, and make fun of himself in the process. Others came rather insecure about their privilege and played it down — think of fellow Etonian David Cameron who decided to call himself “Dave.” Not Boris. Alongside party-boy Darius Guppy and Charles Spencer, Diana’s brother, he reveled in it. As sitting president, I did my small part to help him gain his footing, despite a certain amount of class resentment I’m not really proud of.

He has a first-class wit but a second-class mind and got a second-class degree. If you want to measure the quality of his scholarship, check out his deeply awful biography of Churchill, a thinly veiled attempt to redescribe his own career as a Second Coming of Winston."

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/andrew-sullivan-donald-trump-and-the-art-of-the-lie.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

All of those countries have significant non-white populations, especially Canada.
    I think more than 50% of Australians births are to mothers of non-European origin now. In all honesty, while I could see the Canadians of Toronto and the Maritimes wanting and CANZUK type system, I'm not sure the Vancouvans care that much.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    edited June 2019
    This thread has got through to the

next round.

This discussion has been closed.