Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final step. Why the leader of the Conservative party does

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Xtrain said:

Corbyn, dependent on LibDems and SNP, is going to be a strictly limited experiment for now. That shouldn't be the end of the world for the Tories - on the contrary, if it's as bad as they think, they will be elected back next time. Perhaps what they really worry about is that it won't be as bad as they predict?

The problem at the moment is that normal political rules - mess up and get thrown out on your ear - don't necessarily seem to apply because the polarisation of the electorate means that the voters have priorities other than competence.

So, from a Tory perspective the nightmare scenario is that Corbyn gets into power, it's really truly awful, but Corbyn finds enough wedge issues to keep his voters onside and stays in power.
    What you're forgetting is if the Tories mess this up they're history. They get replaced by the Brexit Party
    How can the Brexit Party win a seat like Esher and Walton, for example?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,643
    GIN1138 said:

I thought Boris came across quite well in his interview with Laura?

If you want to make your own mind up:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-48752002/boris-johnson-interview-in-full
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Yep. Terrible headlines.

Expect the dead cat tomorrow.
    I agree. It's awful expecting Harry and Megan to live in a cottage. It is H&M Windsor I presume.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

I have said all along there are two very easy ways to make the backstop democratic.

Option 1. Let the people of NI choose to join it, let them at periodic elections continue to choose to remain in it and give them the right to terminate it at a time of their choosing. Not controlled by London, Dublin, Strasbourg, Brussels or anywhere else but the voters of Northern Ireland.

Option 2: Keep the backstop as indefinite but for its duration the voters of NI should continue to be represented at all levels of the EU. They should keep their MEPs with full voting rights and for the duration of the backstop Arlene Foster (or her successor) should take the place of the UK Prime Minister in the European Council with full rights including the right of veto.

Terminating democracy and not giving voters a choice is not a valid option. No matter what level of inconvenience or even death may be the result of not terminating democracy.

Option 1 is fair enough but that means it will be definite because there will never be a majority to get rid of it .

Your second option I’ll put down to it being late and you had a few drinks ! You seriously think the EU are going to allow what could end up being a puppet for Westminster to veto things , a non EU nation having a veto .

You seem to be very concerned about terminating democracy but don’t see much problem with the government inflicting a no deal on the country without a mandate .

Were voters promised by Vote Leave the UK would leave with a deal and an orderly departure ?

Would they have won by saying we’ll leave without one?
    Voters were asked "Leave or Remain". Both options are clear. Leave is with or without a deal. Simples.
    It’s not simples . We keep hearing non stop that Leavers knew what they were voting for , apparently Cameron made it clear . So what do I do with the Vote Leave promise about a deal and an orderly departure not rupture with the EU. Is that a lie then ? So we believe Cameron but not Vote Leave . You can’t have it both ways ? But of course Leavers have selective memories. If you want no deal put that specific question to the public .
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Roger said:

I have said all along there are two very easy ways to make the backstop democratic.

Option 1. Let the people of NI choose to join it, let them at periodic elections continue to choose to remain in it and give them the right to terminate it at a time of their choosing. Not controlled by London, Dublin, Strasbourg, Brussels or anywhere else but the voters of Northern Ireland.

Option 2: Keep the backstop as indefinite but for its duration the voters of NI should continue to be represented at all levels of the EU. They should keep their MEPs with full voting rights and for the duration of the backstop Arlene Foster (or her successor) should take the place of the UK Prime Minister in the European Council with full rights including the right of veto.

Terminating democracy and not giving voters a choice is not a valid option. No matter what level of inconvenience or even death may be the result of not terminating democracy.

No sensible person gives a shit about Irish backstops except completely bonkers Tories with nothing interesting to occupy their minds. Why not go to an art galley or even a film. Have you any idea how long it is since the Palestinians had any say over their governance at all? Go and demontrate for them. It actually affects their lives.
    Wow. Where to start with this garbage?

The no true Scotsman fallacy?

Or the idea we should have Northern Ireland be treated like Palestine?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    GORDON BROWN: Why I fear the break-up of the United Kingdom is closer than it's been for 300 years

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7176697/Former-Prime-Minister-GORDON-BROWN-fears-antagonistic-nationalism-mean-end-United-Kingdom.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn, dependent on LibDems and SNP, is going to be a strictly limited experiment for now. That shouldn't be the end of the world for the Tories - on the contrary, if it's as bad as they think, they will be elected back next time. Perhaps what they really worry about is that it won't be as bad as they predict?

The problem at the moment is that normal political rules - mess up and get thrown out on your ear - don't necessarily seem to apply because the polarisation of the electorate means that the voters have priorities other than competence.

So, from a Tory perspective the nightmare scenario is that Corbyn gets into power, it's really truly awful, but Corbyn finds enough wedge issues to keep his voters onside and stays in power.
    While the nightmare for leftwingers is Boris or Farage get into power and find enough wedge issues to keep their voters onside and stay in power
    That's a choice between undesirable and fucking hell! I think you can guess which way I swing.
  • Options

Roger said:

No sensible person gives a shit about Irish backstops except completely bonkers Tories with nothing interesting to occupy their minds. Why not go to an art galley or even a film. Have you any idea how long it is since the Palestinians had any say over their governance at all? Go and demontrate for them. It actually affects their lives.
    Wow. Where to start with this garbage?

The no true Scotsman fallacy?

Or the idea we should have Northern Ireland be treated like Palestine?
    I think Corbyn's started posting.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Daily Mail joining in the piss take of Boris.

Not good for him. Not good at all.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7176633/Twitter-sceptics-amused-Boris-Carries-Mills-Boon-pics.html
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

If you want to make your own mind up:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-48752002/boris-johnson-interview-in-full
    Clear, direct, focussed, to the point. Laura that is. Johnson a waffly mess.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Option 1 is fair enough but that means it will be definite because there will never be a majority to get rid of it .

Your second option I’ll put down to it being late and you had a few drinks ! You seriously think the EU are going to allow what could end up being a puppet for Westminster to veto things , a non EU nation having a veto .

You seem to be very concerned about terminating democracy but don’t see much problem with the government inflicting a no deal on the country without a mandate .

Were voters promised by Vote Leave the UK would leave with a deal and an orderly departure ?

Voters were asked "Leave or Remain". Both options are clear. Leave is with or without a deal. Simples.
    It’s not simples . We keep hearing non stop that Leavers knew what they were voting for , apparently Cameron made it clear . So what do I do with the Vote Leave promise about a deal and an orderly departure not rupture with the EU. Is that a lie then ? So we believe Cameron but not Vote Leave . You can’t have it both ways ? But of course Leavers have selective memories. If you want no deal put that specific question to the public .
    What did the ballot paper say? Simples
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited June 2019

Xtrain said:

What you're forgetting is if the Tories mess this up they're history. They get replaced by the Brexit Party
    The LDs may win that one but Esher and Walton is in Elmbridge which voted 59.5% Remain, yet overall at least 62% of Conservative constituencies are in areas which voted Leave

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-majority-conservative-and-labour-constituencies-vote-leave-eu-referendum/
  • Options
    El_SidEl_Sid Posts: 145
    https://twitter.com/woodstockjag/status/1143268736306241543

"Given that the recess dates have now been approved, the statutory timetable for an early General Election (on Thursday 24 October [last Thursday before B-day]) would on my count require a Vote of No Confidence to be debated no later than Tuesday 3rd September (first day back from summer recess)."
  • Options
    El_Sid said:

"Given that the recess dates have now been approved, the statutory timetable for an early General Election (on Thursday 24 October [last Thursday before B-day]) would on my count require a Vote of No Confidence to be debated no later than Tuesday 3rd September (first day back from summer recess)."

Doesn't the Govt determine parliamentary hols?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "What hope for America’s Deplorables?
    An unsettling look at the calamity of poverty in the US

Justin Webb"

https://unherd.com/2019/06/what-hope-for-americas-deplorables/
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    nico67 said:

The second option I don't believe the EU would agree to. It would be legitimate if they want to annex NI but it isn't on the table so nor should be the backstop.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Vote Leave wasn’t the government or trying to firm the government
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Xtrain said:

The LDs may win that one but Esher and Walton is in Elmbridge which voted 59.5% Remain, yet overall at least 62% of Conservative constituencies are in areas which voted Leave

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-majority-conservative-and-labour-constituencies-vote-leave-eu-referendum/
    That doesn't mean that they would vote Leave today, nor that the way to win them is to campaign on a Leave manifesto. For instance, there was that Focaldata analysis last year that suggested Johnson's constituency had moved from 43.6% to 51.4% Remain, whilst Gove's constituency had moved from 48% to 50.2% Remain.

Also I'd remind you that the Tories didn't get a majority in the last GE - they need to win more seats than in 2017 to gain a majority. Who do they take those extra seats from?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    The problem is we are already laughing at Boris, not with him. That usually takes a few years at the top.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Did the ballot paper say leave the single market and customs union ? If you’re happy to include no deal in the Leave question then I’m happy to include staying in the single market or a customs union . Both are still leaving the EU but versions of Leave as the UK is officially out .

But of course that bit that you were originally promised by Cameron is set in stone but the bit about a deal from Vote Leave isn’t .

My advice stop digging , you’re not winning this !
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Justin Webb"

It is difficult for me to understand the force of Trump within the underpriveliged classes in USA; to be so poor in a land full of rich bastards e.g. Trump. But it probably wouldn't have been so difficult for our great grandparents (mine anyway). I feel for these people without having any experience of their circumstances. Clinton showed herself to be totally unworthy with her commentary on these people and I can hate her for it without remorse .
  • Options

El_Sid said:

I think the point is that the dates of their summer "hols" have now been finalised and approved, short of some kind of emergency procedure they are now fixed. And yes, the Government would control the recall of Parliament.

But if the Opposition want to use FTPA/VoNC to trigger a general election, then the above thread implies that the VoNC has to be tabled by 25th July, the last day of the current session, in order to have a VoNC on their first day back on 3 September, which is the last day possible for all the procedures to be followed through in order to have a GE on a Thursday before Brexit day. You get a few extra days if you're OK having the election not on Thursday for the first time in 88 years.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Did the ballot paper say leave the single market and customs union ? If you’re happy to include no deal in the Leave question then I’m happy to include staying in the single market or a customs union . Both are still leaving the EU but versions of Leave as the UK is officially out .

But of course that bit that you were originally promised by Cameron is set in stone but the bit about a deal from Vote Leave isn’t .

My advice stop digging , you’re not winning this !
    It's the ballot paper stupid not some imaginary extension thereof, and it's not a game dickhead.
  • Options
    El_Sid said:

El_Sid said:

I think the point is that the dates of their summer "hols" have now been finalised and approved, short of some kind of emergency procedure they are now fixed. And yes, the Government would control the recall of Parliament.

But if the Opposition want to use FTPA/VoNC to trigger a general election, then the above thread implies that the VoNC has to be tabled by 25th July, the last day of the current session, in order to have a VoNC on their first day back on 3 September, which is the last day possible for all the procedures to be followed through in order to have a GE on a Thursday before Brexit day. You get a few extra days if you're OK having the election not on Thursday for the first time in 88 years.
    emergency procedure it is then.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Why not "Carrie On Making a Tit of Yourself"?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    El_Sid said:

HYUFD said:

Xtrain said:

That doesn't mean that they would vote Leave today, nor that the way to win them is to campaign on a Leave manifesto. For instance, there was that Focaldata analysis last year that suggested Johnson's constituency had moved from 43.6% to 51.4% Remain, whilst Gove's constituency had moved from 48% to 50.2% Remain.

Also I'd remind you that the Tories didn't get a majority in the last GE - they need to win more seats than in 2017 to gain a majority. Who do they take those extra seats from?
    Over 400 constituencies voted for the Brexit Party in the European Parliament elections last month, the Tories currently only hold 318.

Both Hillingdon, containing Uxbridge and Surrey Heath voted for the Brexit Party
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

El_Sid said:

HYUFD said:

Xtrain said:

Over 400 constituencies voted for the Brexit Party in the European Parliament elections last month, the Tories currently only hold 318.

Both Hillingdon, containing Uxbridge and Surrey Heath voted for the Brexit Party
    I think you're wasting your time with Sid. It's either cups or incompetence.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333

Oh, bless...

"Jeremy Hunt has announced plans for £15 billion of extra defence spending as he took advantage of Boris Johnson’s troubles to forge ahead with policy announcements."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/06/24/jeremy-hunt-pledges-extra-15bn-defence-ensure-britain-can-guard/

Hunt seems seriously into Big Stick stuff - as I understand it, he suggested yesterday that we might join the US in a war with Iran.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

AndyJS said:

Justin Webb"

It is difficult for me to understand the force of Trump within the underpriveliged classes in USA; to be so poor in a land full of rich bastards e.g. Trump. But it probably wouldn't have been so difficult for our great grandparents (mine anyway). I feel for these people without having any experience of their circumstances. Clinton showed herself to be totally unworthy with her commentary on these people and I can hate her for it without remorse .
    Hillary actually won the votes of the poor overall, even if Trump may have won the white poor it was the skilled working class and the lower middle class where he polled best, not the poorest Americans
  • Options

El_Sid said:

El_Sid said:

Why? There's still a month to go in which a VoNC can be tabled.
  • Options

Oh, bless...

"Jeremy Hunt has announced plans for £15 billion of extra defence spending as he took advantage of Boris Johnson’s troubles to forge ahead with policy announcements."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/06/24/jeremy-hunt-pledges-extra-15bn-defence-ensure-britain-can-guard/

Hunt seems seriously into Big Stick stuff - as I understand it, he suggested yesterday that we might join the US in a war with Iran.
    Didn't go well last time as I recall but hey ho.....
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Justin Webb"

Hillary actually won the votes of the poor overall, even if Trump may have won the white poor it was the skilled working class and the lower middle class where he polled best, not the poorest Americans
    who were the deplorables then? Was she racist too?
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Oh, bless...

As I have said before Jeremy Hunt is the British Mitt Romney, Romney wanted a $10 trillion increase in defence spending over 10 years and took a tough line with Iran in 2012.

Even Trump refused to send a missile strike against Iran when the drone was shot down pursuing sanctions again
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Justin Webb"

The white male working class
  • Options
    El_Sid said:

El_Sid said:

El_Sid said:

early hols?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Justin Webb"

The white male working class
    so she is racist!!!!!
  • Options

Yep. Terrible headlines.

Expect the dead cat tomorrow.
    It's certainly not this:

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1143293235055517697
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    This has been really educational tonight. Much appreciated. I think I'm off to play some poker
  • Options

Oh, bless...

Well given they’ve said they are throwing over the nuclear treaty despite the Europeans sticking to it - would you just let them develop nukes?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

El_Sid said:

HYUFD said:

Xtrain said:

And Euro elections attract "kick the cat" protest votes on a low turnout. Compare with 2014 - Farage's UKIP topped the polls with 27% of the vote, but got half that in the 2015 GE and gained one seat. Farage got 30% of the vote in the 2019 Euros.
  • Options

El_Sid said:

El_Sid said:

El_Sid said:

early hols?
    The hols have now been fixed.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    El_Sid said:

HYUFD said:

El_Sid said:

HYUFD said:

Xtrain said:

And Euro elections attract "kick the cat" protest votes on a low turnout. Compare with 2014 - Farage's UKIP topped the polls with 27% of the vote, but got half that in the 2015 GE and gained one seat. Farage got 30% of the vote in the 2019 Euros.
    As the Tories promised an EU referendum in 2015, they have now still not delivered the result of, Boris will deliver it, Deal or No Deal
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    Greetings from Texas!

If, as looks like it from the headline, Bozo is starting to lose the Telegraph, then he is totally fecked.

I've been up a very long time, so a shower then bed. Night all.
  • Options
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Charles said:

Oh, bless...

Well given they’ve said they are throwing over the nuclear treaty despite the Europeans sticking to it - would you just let them develop nukes?
    Short of regime change and occupation you can't stop them if they really want to.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

As the Tories promised an EU referendum in 2015, they have now still not delivered the result of, Boris will deliver it, Deal or No Deal

But the devil remains in the detail........the WA offered the result of the referendum.......Boris led the blocking of it (remember Chuck Chequers?)
  • Options

Boris led the blocking of it (remember Chuck Chequers?)

It's funny - we look to be going from one PM 'Nothing has changed' when everything had to another 'Everything has changed' when nothing has.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    He's referring to Ali Khamenei isn't he? Who is an ayatollah and very much alive.
  • Options
    Jan Moir Daily Mail:

Yet ultimately, these images are not reassuring. They are testament to the fact that everything has gone so weird, so quickly – which makes it so very, very worrying. Boris Johnson might still be a big beast Conservative and front runner to be our next prime minister, but he still seems unable to escape the shadows of a rackety past. And if Boris cannot be trusted with his finger on the blouse button, what hope is there for his finger on the nuclear button?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7176637/JAN-MOIR-Boris-Johnson-Carrie-Symonds-photo-cheesy-Mills-Boon-scene-taking-fools.html
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

He's referring to Ali Khamenei isn't he? Who is an ayatollah and very much alive.
    Yep. Khamenei, Khomenei....Trump, Tramp......
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Oh, bless...

Short of regime change and occupation you can't stop them if they really want to.
    I agree

He’s criticising Hunt for implying we might fight a war. Surely keeping the option open makes sense

• Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Charles said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Oh, bless...

I agree

He’s criticising Hunt for implying we might fight a war. Surely keeping the option open makes sense

It's the same as no deal brexit. Leaving it on the table gives leverage, even if its a stupid idea.
  • Options

Charles said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Oh, bless...

I agree

It's the same as no deal brexit. Leaving it on the table gives leverage, even if its a stupid idea.
    Except war with Iran is a more credible proposal. But the U.K. has a complicated history with the country
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Oh, bless...

As I have said before Jeremy Hunt is the British Mitt Romney, Romney wanted a $10 trillion increase in defence spending over 10 years and took a tough line with Iran in 2012.

Even Trump refused to send a missile strike against Iran when the drone was shot down pursuing sanctions again
    Except up to now, Hunt has been in favour of de-escalation (not unlike his namesake, Mr Corbyn).

And yes, Trump is not in favour of foreign wars (and on his record, even Netanyahu's bark is worse than his bite).
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973

Charles said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Oh, bless...

I agree

Not quite - No Deal Brexit offers about as much leverage as the 5 year old insisting on a diet of ice cream and Milky Way Stars for every meal.

Worryingly that analogy actually works going forward. Occasionally a parent will give in and provides such a diet but within a few days the children will feel ill and start asking for normal food.
  • Options
    eek said:

Charles said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Oh, bless...

I agree

Not quite - No Deal Brexit offers about as much leverage as the 5 year old insisting on a diet of ice cream and Milky Way Stars for every meal.

Worryingly that analogy actually works going forward. Occasionally a parent will give in and provides such a diet but within a few days the children will feel ill and start asking for normal food.
    Especially if EU spies watch British television and already know it is just a bluff.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265

eek said:

Charles said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Oh, bless...

I agree

Especially if EU spies watch British television and already know it is just a bluff.
    Do you really think they would be thst devious?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It’s now a reasonable inference that the row was serious. If it wasn’t, we’d surely have had a full explanation by now, if necessary with Boris Johnson doing his Hugh Grant “I did a bad thing” impression.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

It’s now a reasonable inference that the row was serious. If it wasn’t, we’d surely have had a full explanation by now, if necessary with Boris Johnson doing his Hugh Grant “I did a bad thing” impression.
    Do you think the Guardian are waiting for the right moment to release the tape?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

They’re waiting to see if Boris Johnson provably lies when he eventually does give his explanation.
  • Options
    Story on Sky News this morning:

https://tinyurl.com/yywtdxth

John Gummer (Lord Deben), chair of the Committee on Climate Change (CCC), told Sky News that Heathrow's expansion would use up the majority of the envelope the aviation industry would have between now and 2050, implying that other expansions should not be permitted if Britain is to hit its climate targets.

When I heard the word 'envelope' I thought they were talking about airspace - it's a term used in aviation. But actually they're just talking about carbon.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973
    Penddu said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Oh, bless...

I agree

Do you really think they would be thst devious?
    Do you know how hard it is to avoid BBC News in a hotel lounge in Europe - I’ve taken to switching the Tv to French news to avoid the embarrassment
  • Options

tlg86 said:

They’re waiting to see if Boris Johnson provably lies when he eventually does give his explanation.
    I think it's odd that Boris's team think that it's a good idea to keep the story running by releasing that photo of them.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

There might be a Mexican standoff here. Boris cannot play it down because he cannot be sure what is on the tape (or he can be sure) and the Guardian can't release it until Boris says something contradicted by the tape.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930

tlg86 said:

No-one has denied the report, so no need to release the tape. Everyone knows it’s there.

• Options

tlg86 said:

Except the tape is the centre of the breach of privacy.

Calling police - good citizen

Tipping off the Guardian - but ropey but if you can hear someone then ok

Recording a conversation without permission or knowledge and then broadcasting to the world...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    tlg86 said:

I think it's odd that Boris's team think that it's a good idea to keep the story running by releasing that photo of them.

I want to hear from that pseudonymous poster who did the guest thread header about who was running Boris's campaign and how great they were.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

John Gummer (Lord Deben), chair of the Committee on Climate Change (CCC), told Sky News that Heathrow's expansion would use up the majority of the envelope the aviation industry would have between now and 2050, implying that other expansions should not be permitted if Britain is to hit its climate targets.

When I heard the word 'envelope' I thought they were talking about airspace - it's a term used in aviation. But actually they're just talking about carbon.

One path to reducing domestic flights would be to develop a high-speed rail network. There has also been renewed interest in high-speed rail in America, though so far limited to a couple of private networks (including Virgin iirc).
  • Options
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Recording a conversation without permission or knowledge and then broadcasting to the world...
    You think the public has no interest in the temperament and character of an aspirant Prime Minister? The judge might manage to keep a straight face through such an argument.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

tlg86 said:

I want to hear from that pseudonymous poster who did the guest thread header about who was running Boris's campaign and how great they were.
    MPs part -- friends of Gavin Williamson and Grant Shapps say it is all down to their man. Success has many fathers. I reckon it is whoever thought of bribing MPs with the £80,000 tax cut (MPs' salary is £79,468).

Overall -- Lynton Crosby: hide 'em away to protect their lead, like with Theresa May in 2017.

ETA: we must not forget in all this chaos that Boris is still overwhelming favourite to beat the empty suit, provided he does not withdraw.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    tlg86 said:

He’s an idiot, forgetting that the status quo has thousands of planes going round in circles for hours at low level, because the airport is well over the usable capacity. The best way to reduce carbon emissions from aircraft around LHR is to get that new runway open yesterday.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Sandpit, cults are popular these days, but green zealots and hypocrites (I have memories of Caroline Lucas defending her very important, and numerous, flights whilst appealing to everyone else to stop flying so much) have been around for a long while. They're hipster cultists.

May's stupid 2050 carbon neutrality policy being shoved into law during the last few days of her premiership is desperate scrabbling for a legacy. Writing such targets into law is something that should not happen, as it's contrary to a Parliament being unable to bind its successor. And who pays the fine if it fails to be met, and to whom?

Humbug.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    Have we had polling on the Boris row yet

a) The neighbours were right to tape the row and should publish as a public interest matter.
    b) They are curtain twitching busybodies
    c) Neither
    d) Both
    e) Don't know
    f) Don't care
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

You think the public has no interest in the temperament and character of an aspirant Prime Minister? The judge might manage to keep a straight face through such an argument.
    Making a recording from your own home of what you can hear outside of it is not a breach of privacy or of the law.

If it was then local authorities would not recommend that an offended party tape noise nuisance in disputes between neighbours and perhaps have it appear later in some television or radio documentary or reality show.
  • Options
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

If a conversation is so loud it can be heard and recorded in other people’s homes it is not private.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    edited June 2019
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Recording the row isn't wrong IMO - and I believe is indeed recommended by some councils when dealing with noisy neighbours.

If you're rowing loudly enough to be overheard by others, it's no longer a private conversation. It's also a nuisance.

I am dubious about the neighbours reporting it to the Guardian: then again, the police's 'restrict it' might be a possible reason. I am not dubious about their recording the row.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Off-topic:

For anyone interested, there's a planned SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch at 07.30.

Watch it live at:
    https://www.spacex.com/webcast

They will be attempting to recover all three first stage boosters, and the fairings.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

a) The neighbours were right to tape the row and should publish as a public interest matter.
    c) Neither
    d) Both
    e) Don't know
    f) Don't care

It is said that there is a difference between what is in the public interest, and what the public may find interesting.

As others have speculated, the known existence of the tape is the reason why Boris is saying nothing, in case he says something that directly contradicts what’s on the tape.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

MPs part -- friends of Gavin Williamson and Grant Shapps say it is all down to their man. Success has many fathers. I reckon it is whoever thought of bribing MPs with the £80,000 tax cut (MPs' salary is £79,468).

Overall -- Lynton Crosby: hide 'em away to protect their lead, like with Theresa May in 2017.

ETA: we must not forget in all this chaos that Boris is still overwhelming favourite to beat the empty suit, provided he does not withdraw.

This is not new from Johnson. It’s how he has always done things. He has never subjected himself to serious, ongoing scrutiny. His interview last night again showed why. In London he got away with it because the role was relatively unimportant and there was only one, friendly, newspaper to worry about. That is not the case now

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

c) Neither
    d) Both
    e) Don't know
    f) Don't care

It is said that there is a difference between what is in the public interest, and what the public may find interesting.

As others have speculated, the known existence of the tape is the reason why Boris is saying nothing, in case he says something that directly contradicts what’s on the tape.
    Sure, my office colleagues would plump for b) though. And I suspect everyone with #FBPE behind their name on twitter go for a).
    But that's anecdotal and my own thoughts. I'd like to see some polling on it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    edited June 2019
    Pulpstar said:

c) Neither
    d) Both
    e) Don't know
    f) Don't care

It was in the Yougov daily poll yesterday.

40% not right to tape
    30% right to tape, wrong to give to the press
    28% right to tape, right to give to the press
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

c) Neither
    d) Both
    e) Don't know
    f) Don't care

Sure, my office colleagues would plump for b) though. And I suspect everyone with #FBPE behind their name on twitter go for a).
    I’d have thought the Great British Public would go for d).
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Given the vitriol poured on those who reported by certain sections of society I think they probably needed to record it to prove they weren’t making it up. If a conversation is audible outside of ones property then it’s no longer private.
  • Options
    It’s a shame this is paywalled. It is utterly superb. The Tory party - and therefore the country - is in the hands of 18 year-old public schoolboys with no serious connection to or understanding of real life. It’s all one, long, Oxford Union election campaign.

https://www.ft.com/content/85fc694c-9222-11e9-b7ea-60e35ef678d2
  • Options

tlg86 said:

This is not new from Johnson. It’s how he has always done things. He has never subjected himself to serious, ongoing scrutiny. His interview last night again showed why. In London he got away with it because the role was relatively unimportant and there was only one, friendly, newspaper to worry about. That is not the case now

Yes but remember even as Mayor, Boris was advised by Crosby. Probably, in a happy coincidence, it suits them both.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062

Charles said:

Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

Oh, bless...

I agree

Hasn't no deal been on the table, albeit in in incompetently half hearted way? I'd estimate that we're closer to no deal (in both senses) than we've ever been, yet there seems to be f.a. in the leverage stakes in prospect.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

c) Neither
    d) Both
    e) Don't know
    f) Don't care

It was in the Yougov daily poll yesterday.

40% not right to tape
    30% right to tape, wrong to give to the press
    28% right to tape, right to give to the press
    Thanks, personally I'd stick myself in the 30%. Looks like people are more with Boris than his neighbours on this.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

c) Neither
    d) Both
    e) Don't know
    f) Don't care

I think that a newspaper publishing a tape because they don’t like Boris comes under things the public find interesting, whereas a newspaper publishing it because it directly contradicts something he says comes clearly under the public interest.

I suspect the polling would change somewhat in favour of publication if doing so revealed a direct lie. Which is why Boris is keeping his mouth shut about it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

c) Neither
    d) Both
    e) Don't know
    f) Don't care

Only 28% in favour of releasing the row to the press. The number of Tory voters let alone members in that lot will be close to zero.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062

tlg86 said:

Henceforth to be known as Gavin's mum.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    GIN1138 said:

You're seeing something in Boris Johnson, that most of the Conservative Party membership also see in him. Which is why he will be elected.

I am baffled what it is ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

c) Neither
    d) Both
    e) Don't know
    f) Don't care

Personally, as one who is a Guardian reader, and who is appalled at both Brexit and the prospect of Johnson being PM I think they were right to tape the row, since it might turn out to be useful if something serious had happened, but I'm not certain that giving (or selling???) the tape to the Guardian was the proper thing to do.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

c) Neither
    d) Both
    e) Don't know
    f) Don't care

I think that a newspaper publishing a tape because they don’t like Boris comes under things the public find interesting, whereas a newspaper publishing it because it directly contradicts something he says comes clearly under the public interest.

I suspect the polling would change somewhat in favour of publication if doing so revealed a direct lie. Which is why Boris is keeping his mouth shut about it.
    He's not going to discuss it - and no matter how much the press push him actually most people think it's his private business so there will be no contradictions as you point out. The press need to move on to his HS2, Heathrow, Brexit etc plans and contradictions instead or Hunt doesn't have a chance
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,295
    Johnson: absolute twat.

That is all.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

You're seeing something in Boris Johnson, that most of the Conservative Party membership also see in him. Which is why he will be elected.

I am baffled what it is ?
    He is able to brush away any objection or challenge with a mix of confidence, bluster and distraction.

They hope he can magic away real world challenges in a similar fashion.
This discussion has been closed.