Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson edges back to being an even stronger favourite on the

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

The most important bit of the Brewer tweet is not that she's chucking the Union to deliver Brexit but that she is cancelling the Ruth Davidson project to do so. I always said that Davidson was riding the tiger with her all Brexit to all people strategy and now the piper is demanding to be paid for the tune.

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1143893495956037632?s=19

Yougov has shown most Scots back Brexit with a Canada style FTA for GB, it is only Brexit with No Deal they oppose

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/08/18/majority-people-think-freedom-movement-fair-price-
    You're now reduced to quoting polls from the immediate aftermath of the referendum in 2016?!
    No polling since has contradicted those findings
    LOL. No poll other than the one you were quoting earlier, which has 55% of Scots preferring Remain against any other option.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/2v9b2rv2gl/TheTimes_190618_BrexitResults_w.pdf
    The poll you quoted did NOT include a Canada style FTA as an option.

In any case even if they favoured Remain the poll I quoted showed most Scots thought a Canada style FTA for GB Brexit would still be a good option but No Deal Brexit would be a bad option
    Has any poll since the invocation of Article 50 shown a majority support for a Canada FTA?
    No poll since the invocation of Article 50 has shown a majority against a Canada FTA certainly to contradict the poll I showed favouring a Canada FTA
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

I find it genuinely staggering and appalling that people have moved on from Brexit (misguided but I understand it) to wanting to destroy the Union.

The SNP, the now Leader of the Opposition and many more wanted to destroy the Union well before the portmanteau of Brexit was coined.
    That does not mean to say it is right
    There is such an easy joke I could make here about it being slightly disturbing that all these xenophobes and racists seem to want the same thing.
    The SNP wants to remain in the EU ...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    HYUFD said:

I think if Boris now wins he will replace Hunt as Foreign Secretary with Raab and just give Hunt Lidington's DPM role. Truss to become Chancellor and Javid to stay Home Secretary.

IDS to be Defence Secretary and Cleverly Party Chairman

Lord help us.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

I think if Boris now wins he will replace Hunt as Foreign Secretary with Raab and just give Hunt Lidington's DPM role. Truss to become Chancellor and Javid to stay Home Secretary.

Lord help us.
    Lord Chancellor, help us!

FIFY
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

I find it genuinely staggering and appalling that people have moved on from Brexit (misguided but I understand it) to wanting to destroy the Union.

The SNP, the now Leader of the Opposition and many more wanted to destroy the Union well before the portmanteau of Brexit was coined.
    There is such an easy joke I could make here about it being slightly disturbing that all these xenophobes and racists seem to want the same thing.
    They all want to break up unions they see as oppressing the nation state.

They just disagree about what constitutes 'a nation state.'

It's much of a muchness.

Good night.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1143931629959831552

If you're explaining you're losing & ratioed tweet alert.

Hunt = toast.

Hunt's fucked it. His only (slim) hope was relentless pressure on coward Boris and zero (0) fuck ups.

He fucked up.

What about JRM? :D
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

They all want to break up unions they see as oppressing the nation state.

They just disagree about what constitutes 'a nation state.'

It's much of a muchness.

Good night.
    You haven't shown what is bad about that.

If the union no longer is wanted or serves the purpose it is their for then it is time to end.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Scott_P said:
    Not sure this is the best course of action but if Leavers are happy to trash the UK then in the madness Remainers trying to shut down government spending isn’t too way out there. Although I’m not sure it’s quite as simple as that re spending .

I’ll let someone who is a bit more savvy on how this amendment could effect spending to explain .
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,288
    edited June 2019

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

The most important bit of the Brewer tweet is not that she's chucking the Union to deliver Brexit but that she is cancelling the Ruth Davidson project to do so. I always said that Davidson was riding the tiger with her all Brexit to all people strategy and now the piper is demanding to be paid for the tune.

Yougov has shown most Scots back Brexit with a Canada style FTA for GB, it is only Brexit with No Deal they oppose

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/08/18/majority-people-think-freedom-movement-fair-price-
    You're now reduced to quoting polls from the immediate aftermath of the referendum in 2016?!
    I'm surprised. I was in Scotland over the week-end at a boat festival and even the people on the Conservative stall thought the party a joke. I won't tell you the consensus on Johnson unless you assure me you have several medics on standby
    But if you were at a boat festival you must have been made aware of the hatred of the EU over fishing and the demands from the fishing communities to leave the EU
    You're a reasonable chap. Why are you in bed with these anglo-supremacists and xenophobes?
    I support the Scottish Fisherman 100% in their desire to be out of the EU

Just as labour have their extremes and there are many good labour members who do not support the insane Corbyn, so it is the same with my party, but I do support leaving the EU and TM deal was exactly that.

If you follow my posts you will see I totally reject Farage and the likes of Francois and Baker and other Little Englanders and my wife and I will vote for Hunt in the election
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,746

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

I'm surprised. I was in Scotland over the week-end at a boat festival and even the people on the Conservative stall thought the party a joke. I won't tell you the consensus on Johnson unless you assure me you have several medics on standby
    But if you were at a boat festival you must have been made aware of the hatred of the EU over fishing and the demands from the fishing communities to leave the EU
    If Roger was really at a boat festival I think the consensus on Boris would be that he may be too soft if anything on Europe.

Unless by "boat" Roger meant "yacht"?
    The working classes are renowned for owning boats in 2019.
    "Here's what you've won"
    Pause.
    "Jim, I live in Redditch. What am I going to do with a boat?"
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

You're a reasonable chap. Why are you in bed with these anglo-supremacists and xenophobes?
    If you follow my posts you will see I totally reject Farage and the likes of Francois and Baker and other Little Englanders and my wife and I will vote for Hunt in the election
    Careful of the punctuation there, Big G. You don't want to upset Mrs Big G.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    nico67 said:

Not sure this is the best course of action but if Leavers are happy to trash the UK then in the madness Remainers trying to shut down government spending isn’t too way out there. Although I’m not sure it’s quite as simple as that re spending .

I’ll let someone who is a bit more savvy on how this amendment could effect spending to explain .

See the later posts in the thread.

It basically says if the Commons does not a approve a deal, or approve no deal, the Government shuts down.

If the Government wishes to avoid a shutdown, they either get a deal through the Commons, or no deal through the Commons.

Simple :)
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

When Scots and Welsh and Irish and Northern Irish have been able to choose their own destiny, why should it be so horrific if the English decide they'd rather be able to do that too than remain shackled to what others who don't even seem to always like us think?

If Brexit was partly a desire for English sovereignty, don't be surprised if the European question goes a very different way once that aspiration is achieved. An independent England can't vote to be "Global Britain".
    You're right it can be called "Global England" and who's going to notice the difference?
    Global "England and Wales", Wales voted Leave too just like England even if Remain voting Scotland and Northern Ireland left the Union
    Can be like the England and Wales Cricket Team. Commonly called England.
    I think more substantially than "commonly" viz www.ecb.co.uk

The one day captain is Irish too.
    He's rum too.

It is amusing that entire website its hard to find any references to "and Wales" unless you look at the about page: https://www.ecb.co.uk/about-us/about-the-ecb

Seems like a fitting way to deal with the Welsh if they want to stick with us post-Brexit.
    What an arrogant and horrible way to talk about our Welsh brothers and sisters...
    Agree - not my sentiments
    The ECB is following history here.

Wales spent about 4 centuries being part of the Kingdom of England.

Its neither arrogant nor horrible for the ECB to do that, nor to say if the Welsh want to stick with England in the future if we reverted to the historical Kingdom of England that we should be able to handle it like that.
    1536 to 1707 is not four centuries.
    Not if England are batting after tea
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Next chancellor is ~ 5/6 Javid or Truss so it'll probably be one of those two.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

Hunt's fucked it. His only (slim) hope was relentless pressure on coward Boris and zero (0) fuck ups.

He fucked up.

Business Secretary
  • Options
    @HYUFD What do you see in Grayling's future ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,414
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

JRM cannot be a minister.

Given his vast and complex business interests and their inability to be put in a blind trust the conflict of interests would prevent him from being a minister.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

IDS defence. You are barking mad.

I know you are close to him but sacking Penny Mordaunt for IDS would be a step too far and confirm the party has taken leave of its senses
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I know you are close to him but sacking Penny Mordaunt for IDS would be a step too far and confirm the party has taken leave of its senses

We are already past that point. The only question now is which of Labour and the Conservatives has gone the most bonkers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

nico67 said:

It basically says if the Commons does not a approve a deal, or approve no deal, the Government shuts down.

If the Government wishes to avoid a shutdown, they either get a deal through the Commons, or no deal through the Commons.

"Then shut it down"
    https://youtu.be/oK_p_suN1-I
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

IDS is an ex army officer and ideal for Defence.

Mordaunt can go to Education
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Looks like Hunt has done a 'deplorables'. That will cost him. It's worse than the Hillary faux pas because in this case he is referring to his entire electorate.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Environment Secretary, replacing Gove who becomes Brexit Secretary.

Owen Paterson to become a new Brexit domestic Minister preparing the Home front for Brexit Deal or No Deal
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

It's an absurd suggestion. Mordaunt promoted was one of the few things May got right. Why sack her?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

It's an absurd suggestion. Mordaunt promoted was one of the few things May got right. Why sack her?
    She backed Hunt over Boris and IDS served in the military
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,529

It turns out that Little Englanders want England littler, shorn of those vile Remain-voting areas.

I don't think anyone's advocated that, just had Remainers throw it about as absurd "what ifs" when there is zero evidence of independence movements in those regions.
    You’re ready to slough off Scotland and Northern Ireland in pursuit of the great white Brexit.
    I'm ready to do so if we remain in the EU too. I backed Yes in 2014 pre-Brexit when I was a Remainer. So your point is?
    My point is that mad Leavers want to destroy the UK in order to give it Brexit. And they wonder why Remainers aren’t flocking to support their vision.
    There is much less in this than it sounds. Give any person a choice, say in a poll, between two things, both of which they want, in a scenario in which you can only have one and you will generate a headline and a misleading story.

The fact that the SNP would cheerfully break up the union because it wants to, as well as in order to remain in the EU, is true and curiously isn't much of a story. Neither is forced choice polling.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Hush, @HYUFD was almost the only one that spotted the Boris train early. We're getting... foresight here.
  • Options
    matt said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

I think you may be confusing gin palace and trawler. Or canal boats I guess, but that would seem unlikely given social background of the average canal boater.
    I understood it was the Portsoy boat festival which is a small fishing village in NE Scotland on the Moray Firth. The festival was started in 1993 to celebrate the 300 year history of its harbour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

The Cabinet won't just be people who backed Boris. Not sure IDS's military service makes any difference. Mordaunt seems well respected in Defence.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,277

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

JRM cannot be a minister.

Given his vast and complex business interests and their inability to be put in a blind trust the conflict of interests would prevent him from being a minister.
    Conservative Business Interests
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Hush, @HYUFD was almost the only one that spotted the Boris train early. We're getting... foresight here.
    A broken clock is right twice a day ...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    GIN1138 said:

Laying Hunt is free money.

There is no way the party membership will back Mr Jeremy "I'm the 48 not a Little Englander" Hunt.

Indeed! :D

HYUFD said:

It's really very simple at this point. There's only one scenario in which Boris probably loses.

It's one where Hunt is dirty enough and competent enough to engineer headlines in the Tory house papers along the lines of "Boris made me kill our babies, says ex-lover".

I thought in making abortion an issue by expressing his support for a lower time limit he was edging towards this.

But I suspect he recognises that winning like that would risk destroying the party, and losing like that would certainly end his career.

Even then most Leavers are more concerned about delivering Brexit Deal or No Deal than abortion, which is of course legal within the time limit
    The vote isn't a vote of Leavers though, it's a vote of Tory members.

People may be reconciled to it being legal. Tory members to a man bullying his mistress into it so his wife doesn't find out he's knocked someone else up? Less sure.
    For this reason I wouldn't bet the farm laying Hunt. Johnson isn't far away from being repellent.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

The Cabinet won't just be people who backed Boris. Not sure IDS's military service makes any difference. Mordaunt seems well respected in Defence.
    Boris will shift her to Education and sack Hinds.

I suspect Hammond, Clark, Lidington, Gauke and Lewis and Hinds will all be sacked by Boris if they do not resign first
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I suspect Hammond, Clark, Lidington, Gauke and Lewis and Hinds will all be sacked by Boris if they do not resign first

Gauke uncorked himself earlier tonight
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Thank you
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Careful of the punctuation there, Big G. You don't want to upset Mrs Big G.
    Yes good point but my wife is a very special kind and outgoing Scot who is appalled by Farage and the ultra brexiteers attiutudes
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Do you ever think about how actions look.

Sacking a capable female defence secretary for IDS is beyond stupid
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

nico67 said:

Thanks . Bring it on , let’s have the yearly chaos they have in the USA. Why not , the next PM is a mini Trump with Latin so let’s go the whole hog with government chaos !

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Environment Secretary, replacing Gove who becomes Brexit Secretary.

Owen Paterson to become a new Brexit domestic Minister preparing the Home front for Brexit Deal or No Deal
    You are mad. Using words like home front show you up as a dinosaur.

We left that behind 50 years ago with its connections with the war

And if Grayling stays the party is unfit to govern
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Why what happened ? I haven’t seen anything mentioned .
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

I did not say she would be sacked, just moved to make way for IDS
  • Options
    nico67 said:

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1143969891453562880
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,415
    People on both sides are getting very worked up. We are leaving a set of customs arrangements. We are not going to be shorn of army, navy, currency, NHS, department of paperclips, or anything we actually need. If that is enough to kill a 300 year old state, then clearly the patient was on life support and failing fast before Brexit came along. We cannot go through our national life ducking every difficult decision because it will somehow lead to the destruction of the union.

But I don't think it will. I've said before I think Brexit has killed indy, and I've seen nothing since to make me err from that view.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1143969222739025920
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Just switch IDS in for Gove.

That's all. 'Stability', and once Brexit is out of the way he can turn to domestic matters properly. (Avoids any gap for Williamson to weasel into)

Possibly some changes associated with the actual Brexit team too of course.

Gove appointed to Diego Garcia - and then Boris will give it back with Gove still on it.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

The Maastricht rebellion, his leadership, the invasion of Iraq, universal credit, Brexit - has IDS ever been involved with anything that wasn’t disastrous in one way or other?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Scott_P said:
    Wait, WTF? They are punishing everyone unless a withdrawal agreement is signed, which they refuse to vote for? All very well if they wanted a WA, not the WA, but the latter is the only one that is available. And we know Grieve would not vote for any WA.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

I did not say she would be sacked, just moved to make way for IDS
    It is madness

IDS would be a PR disaster
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    Scott_P said:
    This decision tells you everything you need to know about cynical, racist, triangulating, obsessive, conspiracy theory, power-hungry faux Labour party under Jezza.

This is no longer the Labour party.

God alone knows why the momentum kids remain fooled by this crap.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Let's put it this way. The odds on Richard Nabavi still being a member of the Conservative Party on the 1st November continue to lengthen.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

For the modern age that's no longer true, since any digital clock that is broken is probably not right any time of day. But yes, the Boris train was spotted. But then again, I called a Leave victory years before there was a referendum, and I wouldn't listen to my predictions even so.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Personally I haven't thought about things since at least 2003, it's simpler that way.
  • Options

Let's put it this way. The odds on Richard Nabavi still being a member of the Conservative Party on the 1st November continue to lengthen.

And me
  • Options

And me
    The only true Tories are those who prove it...by voting BXP in the EU elections.
  • Options

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

If Roger was really at a boat festival I think the consensus on Boris would be that he may be too soft if anything on Europe.

Unless by "boat" Roger meant "yacht"?
    https://www.stbfportsoy.org/
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Duncan-Smith make an amoeba look intelligent and his CV contained what are technically known as lies. He was a junior officer of no particular merit, Why you think he is suitable for anything other than actively lying about the consequences of Brexit (which, to be fair, he is very good at) is a mystery.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

For the modern age that's no longer true, since any digital clock that is broken is probably not right any time of day. But yes, the Boris train was spotted. But then again, I called a Leave victory years before there was a referendum, and I wouldn't listen to my predictions even so.
    The usual phasing is of course 'stopped clock'. Broken clocks have always had a chance to never be right (hand fell off), but modern ones almost certainly fall into that case even when merely 'stopped;

Interesting to note that it takes a lot to break a sundial, and they never stop. I will say though that my wrist sundial is completely useless when traveling by tube.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1143969222739025920
    Decent. Honourable.

The history books will remember.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Would you go Lib Dem? Or just be politically homeless?

I've been politically homeless since May took over. Though it seems hard to, putting Brexit to one side for a moment it feels good to be getting the Conservative Party back to a liberal Conservativism that I can support [whichever of Boris or Hunt wins] once authoritarian May is gone.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Scott_P said:
    This decision tells you everything you need to know about cynical, racist, triangulating, obsessive, conspiracy theory, power-hungry faux Labour party under Jezza.

No doubt that it’s just unhappy coincidence but Nick Palmer seems to disappear when stories like this are news.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

The Maastricht rebellion, his leadership, the invasion of Iraq, universal credit, Brexit - has IDS ever been involved with anything that wasn’t disastrous in one way or other?
    IDS did a lot of good work on social justice and increased the number of Tory councillors as leader
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Scott_P said:

Perhaps the Maomentum kids agree with his views? Now if he had said similar things about LGBT or Muslims, I think their reaction might be somewhat different.
  • Options
    matt said:

Scott_P said:

No doubt that it’s just unhappy coincidence but Nick Palmer seems to disappear when stories like this are news.
    Perhaps he feels like this:

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1143930447614959616
  • Options

matt said:

Scott_P said:

And besides sending tweets, what are the sensible arm of the Labour party going to do?
  • Options

matt said:

Scott_P said:

*Sits on hands and waits for others to be first, second and eighty seventh mover*
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    glw said:

It was only a matter of time before an anti-williamglenn emerged...For our nation's safety we must ensure the two never meet.

Aw, c'mon. That much antimatter? They'd see it from...

...does some quick sums: assume both are 100kg each. 1 kg of antimatter is roughly 43 megatons, so that's about 4300 megatons. A 100 megaton bomb produces a fireball of radius of approx 200km and an airblast radius of about 1500km (see https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ ), so a 4300 megaton bomb is 43 times bigger and I assume the 4300MT fireball has 43 times the volume of the 100MT fireball.

So:

Let 100MT fireball radius = r1 and 4300MT fireball radius = r2

The volume of a globe is 4pircubed/3
    So 100MT volume = 4pir1cubed/3 & 4300MT volume = 4pir2cubed/3
    => 4pir2cubed/3 = 43*4pir1cubed/3
    => r2cubed = 43*r1cubed
    => r2 = (cube root of 43)(cube root of 200) = 3.5ish * 200 = 700km

So if anti-williamglenn and williamglenn met in London, the fireball from the resultant 4300 megaton explosion would be 700km in radius. Assuming a flat earth, that would extend to about Stuttgart and Bordeaux. However, the Earth isn't flat, so it would be less. The blast radius would be (same maths) about 3.5*1500km which is about 5250km which is (assuming flat earth) takes us to Riyadh in Saudi Arabia, but the round earth would make it a lot less. Then you'd be looking at the surface intersection of a small globe intersecting a larger globe, and I'm fucked if I'm doing that. However I think it's safe to say that there would be a new circular sea where once was Europe and the UK, so...poetic justice?
  • Options

matt said:

Scott_P said:

And besides sending tweets, what are the sensible arm of the Labour party going to do?
    Haha. Doing something. Good joke.

She's not disgusted. Her actions suggest she doesnt like it but can tolerate it, which is not the same thing.
  • Options

I've been politically homeless since May took over. Though it seems hard to, putting Brexit to one side for a moment it feels good to be getting the Conservative Party back to a liberal Conservativism that I can support [whichever of Boris or Hunt wins] once authoritarian May is gone.
    In the absence of a new centre-right sane party I'd very reluctantly vote LibDem. There's not much I like about them, and in particular I don't like their Brexit policy, because I think the referendum result should have been implemented by parliament voting for the orderly Brexit on offer. So in that respect I blame the LibDems to some extent for the mess.

But, we are where we are, Crashing out in a humiliating no-deal disaster is the worst of all possible worlds. It doesn't even have the fig-leaf of respecting the referendum result, since what Leave voters were offered was a smooth transition and an amicable deal. Given that the ERG and fellow travellers have seemingly polarised the choice into No Deal or Revoke, revoke it has to be.

I would however vote Conservative if I had a candidate such as Amber Rudd or David Gauke who was sensible on this, and I might help such candidates if they are standing,
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

IDS did a lot of good work on social justice and increased the number of Tory councillors as leader
    Perhaps you should declare your interest in IDS
  • Options

matt said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing.

For evil to triumph etc etc
  • Options
    Tory Trollop on Newsnight right now!!!!!!
  • Options

In the absence of a new centre-right sane party I'd very reluctantly vote LibDem. There's not much I like about them, and in particular I don't like their Brexit policy, because I think the referendum result should have been implemented by parliament voting for the orderly Brexit on offer. So in that respect I blame the LibDems to some extent for the mess.

But, we are where we are, Crashing out in a humiliating no-deal disaster is the worst of all possible worlds. It doesn't even have the fig-leaf of respecting the referendum result, since what Leave voters were offered was a smooth transition and an amicable deal. Given that the ERG and fellow travellers have seemingly polarised the choice into No Deal or Revoke, revoke it has to be.

I would however vote Conservative if I had a candidate such as Amber Rudd or David Gauke who was sensible on this, and I might help such candidates if they are standing,
    Much the path I would follow on a no deal
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    The Telegraph reporting that Jezza Hunt has announced that if graduates start a start-up then their student debt will be wiped clean, I assume there will be criteria about how long and successful it would need to be. I think this is a very good idea in principle, who said the Tory party is devoid of ideas.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    GIN1138 said:

A misogynist writes.
  • Options
    matt said:

GIN1138 said:

A misogynist writes.
    Indeed
  • Options
    He's got to say this at the moment...
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Emilie Maitlis is very good. Unfortunately for Boris Liz Truss is hopeless
  • Options

matt said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing.

For evil to triumph etc etc
    And this is my biggest fear if Jezza gets in. People say, oh the sensible wing will ensure McDonnell's dangerous Marxists ideals won't get far, but they show no sign of doing much more than sending an angry tweet or two about this, I have my doubts they will do much when McDonnell is busy trying to enact his Marxist Utopian vision on businesses.
  • Options
    Even Truss can't keep a straight face. It's very funny!
  • Options
    I have mad moments when I think we should leave with No Deal, just so I can watch people like Truss being interviewed in December about those who have lost their family businesses or worse.
  • Options
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Duncan-Smith make an amoeba look intelligent and his CV contained what are technically known as lies. He was a junior officer of no particular merit, Why you think he is suitable for anything other than actively lying about the consequences of Brexit (which, to be fair, he is very good at) is a mystery.
    I think he was a Major. Which isn't a junior officer. But (and it's a big but) I think Major is the rank at which you have to prove ability to go further or leave. You can spend your entire career as a Sergeant, but not Major, if you see what I mean. He topped out and left. No shame in that, but it does call into question his ability to do Cabinet level.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    matt said:

GIN1138 said:

A misogynist writes.
    Don't worry I've got plenty of ordure to go round - male OR female (as long standing PB members will testify) ;)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    Scott_P said:
    Ex-Deutsche Bank bankers trusted in the City?! Er, not by anyone who knows anything about DB, they aren't. So that's pretty much everyone in the City.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Ex-Deutsche Bank bankers trusted in the City?! Er, not by anyone who knows anything about DB, they aren't. So that's pretty much everyone in the City.

But when the alternative is John McDonnell...
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    edited June 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Laying Hunt is free money.

There is no way the party membership will back Mr Jeremy "I'm the 48 not a Little Englander" Hunt.

Indeed! :D
    There was an awkward episode on PB whereby several rightwing snowflakes clutched their pearls at the term Little Englander, and in a subsequent breath referred to French people as Frogs. In one case, one such individual then went on to reveal he has never even visited France. Or, for that matter, London.

Funny old world.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

No polling since has contradicted those findings
    LOL. No poll other than the one you were quoting earlier, which has 55% of Scots preferring Remain against any other option.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/2v9b2rv2gl/TheTimes_190618_BrexitResults_w.pdf
    The poll you quoted did NOT include a Canada style FTA as an option.

In any case even if they favoured Remain the poll I quoted showed most Scots thought a Canada style FTA for GB Brexit would still be a good option but No Deal Brexit would be a bad option
    Has any poll since the invocation of Article 50 shown a majority support for a Canada FTA?
    No poll since the invocation of Article 50 has shown a majority against a Canada FTA certainly to contradict the poll I showed favouring a Canada FTA
    Lol.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    It's all relative.

Do you think they want IDS or Grayling instead?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

IDS was an utter joke as leader! I let my membership lapse when that nutter took over. It took quite some time and Cameron to take over for me to join the Tories again. The quiet man - lol. Shame he does not press his mute button and retire!
  • Options
    Hodge now on about Chris 'I see no anti-Semites' Williamson.
  • Options
    Good grief Liz Truss is absolutely awful.

All these spending pledges failing to understand that even if you could use the no deal buffer its not a yearly amount .

These tax cuts will cost the Treasury each year . Where are they going to find the money from .

Of course if debt has to fall it will be on services , low tax , low welfare , crap services is where the UK is heading .

When will poorer Leavers wake up , you’ve been had . Amazing so many Turkeys voted for Christmas .
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    How can Hodge even begin to believe she is in the position where she is arguing that Labour's current racist state is a transition phase in its 100 year history.
This discussion has been closed.