Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Corbyn end days might soon be upon us

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    You can change PM, it'd make sense to hold for instance Hunt as foreign secretary for a bit perhaps though.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Been away for a week in centreparcs in a tree house

Not cheap but heartily recommended
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

But I'm a poor teacher, I was pitching for what I thought I could afford...

Well, charm and a sense of humour will get you a very long way, with me anyway.

I am not ..... sssh, don't tell @Nigelb ...... that big a fan of coffee. Surely a Negroni is within reach. We could share straws......
    Well, that's an offer that nobody could refuse. But wouldn't Mr Cyclefree object?
    No.

He is currently gainfully employed being a project manager on a large building project in the Lake District.
    Deal. A Negroni for loads of stories of useless lawyers!
    And bankers. Then I can come and tell your students what careers to avoid.
    Got quite a few who want to be lawyers. Can't think offhand of any potential bankers.
    Sensible kids. Their heads get turned at university.

On a serious point I do talks about What Life is Really Like as a Lawyer and What I Wish I'd Known When I Was Younger, especially to girls, if that is ever of interest. Did one for International Womens Day this year. Role models - or just real life examples (not boring "I'm trying to sell my firm" ones) can be helpful.
    Thanks. That might be of interest.

I'm on holiday next week - can I contact you to discuss it next month?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616

What kind of person ends their emails with "in solidarity"...

I always use 'In comradeship' in party emails.
    :s
    How about 'May the peace and love of the one true Jezza be always with you'?

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Floater said:

Great. Don't read the news or the comments here
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    We should have done more to keep the Shah in charge of Iran.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Floater said:

I once had two holidays back to back: Centreparcs and The Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat.

The second one was the cheaper.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    More unnecessary language in the headline. Can now omit "Corbyn".
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    Boris coming into office with this Iran crisis is a worry but can anyone imagine Corbyn dealing with this
  • Options
    BTW, using the term 'Persian Gulf' is a good way to upset people in the UAE.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:

I once had two holidays back to back: Centreparcs and The Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat.

That doesn’t surprise me - the Centreparcs branding is much better :)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited July 2019
    EDIT @Scott_P beat me to it!
  • Options
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    AndyJS said:

No.

The Iranian took back control from their unelected ruler.
  • Options

Boris coming into office with this Iran crisis is a worry but can anyone imagine Corbyn dealing with this

Fortunately, that is an act of imagination. I'm more concerned about the reality of Boris.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

I am not ..... sssh, don't tell @Nigelb ...... that big a fan of coffee. Surely a Negroni is within reach. We could share straws......
    Well, that's an offer that nobody could refuse. But wouldn't Mr Cyclefree object?
    No.

He is currently gainfully employed being a project manager on a large building project in the Lake District.
    Got quite a few who want to be lawyers. Can't think offhand of any potential bankers.

On a serious point I do talks about What Life is Really Like as a Lawyer and What I Wish I'd Known When I Was Younger, especially to girls, if that is ever of interest. Did one for International Womens Day this year. Role models - or just real life examples (not boring "I'm trying to sell my firm" ones) can be helpful.

Of course, just VM me.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

Fortunately, that is an act of imagination. I'm more concerned about the reality of Boris.
    But what a choice

And Boris had a conversation with Trump yesterday according to US sources
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

Kent and Surrey are a small price to pay for peace, and the suspension of some Labour MPs clearly, once again, demonstrates that Labour has zero-tolerance when it comes to agreeing with Israeli sourced comments such as 'surrender-monkey'.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited July 2019
    FF43 said:
    Tbf the Iranian nuclear programme would have had to be much more far advanced than anyone thought for that to happen. Perhaps inspiring the red mist to descend upon John Bolton resulting in us all being destroyed in a nuclear war would be more likely.

Armageddon, pshaw, I cast my glove of pedantry in your face.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

But what a choice

Indeed. Other options to deal with such events may soon include Swinson. Or Farage. Lord have mercy!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

But what a choice

Indeed. Other options to deal with such events may soon include Swinson. Or Farage. Lord have mercy!
    Please don't make things worse
  • Options
    Hunt attending cobra at 11.00 tonight

To me it is essential Hunt stays as FO to deal with this crisis with Iran and I just hope Boris does not move him in an act of stupidity, but this is Boris !!!!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

No.

Of course, just VM me.
    Will do.
  • Options
    Sky - Hunt expressing concern at seizure of two naval vessels
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    There is a reason why Prime Ministers in office are almost always replaced by the ministers holding the most senior posts in Government...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Is false recall really the right term? I get there could be confusion about voting some ways back, but surely no one without a problem 'recalls' incorrectly so recently?
    Not everyone takes the decision so seriously that it's indelibly marked in their memory.
    That's a reason not to remember who you voted for in 79, or 97, but come on, it's so casual people actually forget within a few years?
    Not only does the phenomenon exist, it's pretty unremarkable. There was a thread a few days ago about how it is so prevalent one pollster doesn't weight by past vote, and panel pollsters take the vote recall as recorded just after the vote.

People are not necessary good nor kind nor conscientious, they can be shallow, silly, malevolent or just plain evil. People vote for silly reasons and hen pretend to themselves they didn't.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited July 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:

A drink on the easyJet flight to the south of France is more expensive than one at the cinquante cinq.
  • Options

To me it is essential Hunt stays as FO to deal with this crisis with Iran and I just hope Boris does not move him in an act of stupidity, but this is Boris !!!!

Surely Boris ought to be there. Protocol or no.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    alex. said:

There is a reason why Prime Ministers in office are almost always replaced by the ministers holding the most senior posts in Government...

as opposed to buffoons waving frozen fish around......
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

Yes. Although I hear he’s having dinner with HYUFD.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I think they are trying not to upscale it to PM level and use diplomacy
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

Quite. If he isn't, it won't reflect badly on him...
  • Options
    alex. said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD did name drop that last night to be fair, so more than likely
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282
    Corbyn running the show in this imbroglio with Iran would be a damned sight better than Johnson, mostly because he wouldn't be trying to suck up to his hair buddy in Washington. We should have told the Americans to get bent when they asked us to sieze the Iranian tanker in the straight of Gibraltar. Bolton and his cabal of loons are trying to deliberately split us from the rest of Europe on JPOCA and I'm worried that De Pfeffel will happily oblige.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

We should have recognised that the Shah wasn't the popular, beloved ruler that he told us he was.
    And given more credence to Mohammad Mosaddegh.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Corbyn running the show in this imbroglio with Iran would be a damned sight better than Johnson, mostly because he wouldn't be trying to suck up to his hair buddy in Washington. We should have told the Americans to get bent when they asked us to sieze the Iranian tanker in the straight of Gibraltar. Bolton and his cabal of loons are trying to deliberately split us from the rest of Europe on JPOCA and I'm worried that De Pfeffel will happily oblige.

The tanker in Gibraltar was seized due to suspicion that it was breaking EU sanctions. Nothing to do with the US
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Riiiight...a man who signs EDMs praising the democratic nature of the Iranian government would be a real boon in hits situation.

For the Iranians, admittedly, but hey, we can't win them all.

(BTW, you do know that the allegation is that Iranian tanker was breaching EU sanctions, don't you?)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Indeed. Arabian Gulf, if you will...
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

The tanker in Gibraltar was seized due to suspicion that it was breaking EU sanctions. Nothing to do with the US
    Not necessarily 'nothing to do with the US.' They were urging us to seize it. But also hardly 'splitting us off from the EU.'

The irony is, if we had left the EU it would have been the Spanish who would have had to seize the tanker.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    dixiedean said:

Boris Johnson ducked out of a Cobra meeting to be photographed signing a letter. He made his choice about priorities then.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Indeed. Arabian Gulf, if you will...
    If you get tongue twisted and say 'Homos' instead of 'Homruz,' that would presumably annoy them all.

It's a good job one of the two people about to become PM never mangles his words...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Boris Johnson ducked out of a Cobra meeting to be photographed signing a letter. He made his choice about priorities then.
    Well, in fairness, if he hadn't I for one might have doubted if he was literate.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

OnboardG1 said:

The Spanish have said it was due to a US request. We don't know the real reason but let's acknowledge there is debate on the subject.

Personally, I don't support us seizing the tanker, I don't care a jot about it going to Syria, I wish we would just leave Assad to get on with it, but perhaps a good solution would be for us to just purchase the crude? Then it doesn't go to the nasty Syrian regime, and Iran gets to make an honest buck, which is surely what we want them to do, rather than enriching uranium.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Wonder if the will be Theresa May's final COBRA?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    Jezbollah can do one
  • Options

dixiedean said:

It really isn't about Boris's priorities. It's about who is about to be PM. What a petulant response.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

It really isn't about Boris's priorities. It's about who is about to be PM. What a petulant response.
    I’d rather brief people who are going to be interested in the problem.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    alex. said:

dixiedean said:

[Deleted]
  • Options

Jezbollah can do one

If he gets to be PM he'll do us all.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

OnboardG1 said:

So we're told.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I'd rather brief people who are going to be interested in the solution.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Floater said:

Last time i went there, it was so full of chavs, i presumed that sports direct must have been running some sort of promotion for regular customers.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Boris Johnson doesn’t fall in either group. So your bleating on his behalf is incomprehensible.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

I'm not sure I believe that. Firstly the UK is leading the charge on saving JPOCA because our interests are well served by the agreement and frankly I think May was personally pretty pissed off that Trump started this stupid conflict back in 2017. Secondly, Jeremy Hunt is quite personally invested in these efforts since it's been his balliwick and one of his main achievements during his tenure. I'm not convinced that either of them would jeapordise their own aims in this scenario without some alternative pull factor. Reuters seems to have some grounds to suggest that the tanker was impounded at the request of Washington (and they usually have some pretty good diplomatic contacts https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-tanker-gibraltar/gibraltar-extends-detention-of-iranian-tanker-for-a-month-idUSKCN1UE16I).

Fundamentally I think this is a powerplay to try to break apart the multilateral coalition that's been trying to undermine the US sanctions effort against Iran over JPOCA.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Delivering a solution without understanding the problem is a rare talent. Obviously explains how Johnson is going to deliver on Brexit.

• Options

dixiedean said:

Boris Johnson doesn’t fall in either group. So your bleating on his behalf is incomprehensible.
    Don't worry Alistair in a week's time or so it'll be his job to be interested in the solution :)
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

So we're told.
    Well, we're not really. We're being told Gibraltar was not ordered to seize it, which is a far cry from saying the US didn't ask us to.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mideast-crisis-tanker-gibraltar/gibraltar-extends-detention-of-iranian-tanker-for-a-month-idUKKCN1UE15O
  • Options

dixiedean said:

It isn't on his behalf. The less suitable or capable the next PM is, the wiser and more necessary it is to brief them. To keep Boris out would be a political gesture and an utterly futile one.
  • Options
    Who the hell is A$AP Rocky ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Don't worry Alistair in a week's time or so it'll be his job to be interested in the solution :)
    Not altogether reassuring.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812

Floater said:

Last time i went there, it was so full of chavs, i presumed that sports direct must have been running some sort of promotion for regular customers.
    The moniker "posh Butlins" does rather depend on your threshold for posh.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

I'm not sure I believe that. Firstly the UK is leading the charge on saving JPOCA because our interests are well served by the agreement and frankly I think May was personally pretty pissed off that Trump started this stupid conflict back in 2017. Secondly, Jeremy Hunt is quite personally invested in these efforts since it's been his balliwick and one of his main achievements during his tenure. I'm not convinced that either of them would jeapordise their own aims in this scenario without some alternative pull factor. Reuters seems to have some grounds to suggest that the tanker was impounded at the request of Washington (and they usually have some pretty good diplomatic contacts https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-tanker-gibraltar/gibraltar-extends-detention-of-iranian-tanker-for-a-month-idUSKCN1UE16I).

Fundamentally I think this is a powerplay to try to break apart the multilateral coalition that's been trying to undermine the US sanctions effort against Iran over JPOCA.
    It is accepted that the tanker was breaking EU sanctions hence it was stopped.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Floater said:

Posher
  • Options
    I

dixiedean said:

It isn't on his behalf. The less suitable or capable the next PM is, the wiser and more necessary it is to brief them. To keep Boris out would be a political gesture and an utterly futile one.
    It was his job when he was Foreign Secretary. He opted out then, to be pictured holding a pen.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Who are the Beatles?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

I

dixiedean said:

It was his job when he was Foreign Secretary. He opted out then, to be pictured holding a pen.
    Boris can always send a Kipper to the Gulf :lol:
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Again, 'accepted' is the wrong word. It is 'very probable.' (In fact, we know it's more than that because otherwise Iran would have given us the assurances we asked for and it would have been released by now, rather than Iran behaving like drunken lunatics or spoiled two year olds.) But it is not yet proven to a legal standard.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Again, 'accepted' is the wrong word. It is 'very probable.' (In fact, we know it's more than that because otherwise Iran would have given us the assurances we asked for and it would have been released by now, rather than Iran behaving like drunken lunatics or spoiled two year olds.) But it is not yet proven to a legal standard.
    I accept your excellent clarification
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    Could be worse. Could be IDS emerging from 10 Downing Street to declare war the French Iraq. Oh no, we’ve already had that.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Pro_Rata said:

Floater said:

Those that think putting on a shirt and not wearing trainers to dinner is posh.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

That's a slightly facetious take. We all know it's possible to tactically ignore situations in order to gain advantage in others that you consider more important (see EU negotiations over the last 20 years).

There are always reasons why beyond the boilerplate. I think it's unconvincing that the UK was just being a stand up citizen in the fight against Assad when that war is lost and a tanker load of oil makes bugger all difference to a regime that's getting its energy needs met by the Russians. Whether US pressure was the only reason to act is another question but I find it extremely unlikely that Downing St and the Foreign Office would make a strategically disadvantageous decision like seizing an Iranian tanker if the US wasn't pushing for it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    'Crossrail late' would serve as well...
  • Options

I

dixiedean said:

Yes, but as I'm trying to say, that is not relevant when he's a the next PM. It stops being about whether he deserves a briefing, or should get to sit at the high table, and starts being about the fact that he should be briefed and included at this stage because of his forthcoming role. The only good reason I can see for excluding him is to make the political point that he is unfit to Govern. This may be true, but at this stage, it's futile to make it, and potentially results in an even less prepared PM.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited July 2019

Pro_Rata said:

Floater said:

I feel seen

Edit: well, depends on the shirt and what's on instead of the trainers...
  • Options
    Well, I'm off for a few days, and it's likely I won't be on PB much. Failing John Bolton or Boris blowing up the world, I will be back a week on Tuesday.

Have a good one.
  • Options

I

dixiedean said:

Yes, but as I'm trying to say, that is not relevant when he's a the next PM. It stops being about whether he deserves a briefing, or should get to sit at the high table, and starts being about the fact that he should be briefed and included at this stage because of his forthcoming role. The only good reason I can see for excluding him is to make the political point that he is unfit to Govern. This may be true, but at this stage, it's futile to make it, and potentially results in an even less prepared PM.
    Is Ken Clarke there? ;)

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Well, I'm off for a few days, and it's likely I won't be on PB much. Failing John Bolton or Boris blowing up the world, I will be back a week on Tuesday.

Have a good one.

Likewise!
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Floater said:

Calling your tea 'dinner' is posh. Having it close to bedtime and calling it 'supper' is both posh and unhealthy.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Could be worse. Could be IDS emerging from 10 Downing Street to declare war the French Iraq. Oh no, we’ve already had that.

Remember HYUFD is having dinner with IDS and Raab tonight with Boris expected to join them so no doubt we can all rest easy as they can hold their own Cobra meeting and HYUFD can provide expert analysis on how each option will effect Boris's poll rating !!!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:
    'Crossrail late' would serve as well...
    [repeatedly thumping the table] I HAVE BEEN CHEATED OUT OF MY CROSSRAIL!!
  • Options

I

dixiedean said:

There’s no point bending rules about access to a security briefing to accommodate someone who does not treat it seriously.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Have a good one.

Have a good break - look forward to your return postings
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    edited July 2019

dixiedean said:

From what I have heard, Johnson doesn't lack curiosity. That might be more of a May issue. Johnson's issues are that he lacks diligence, principle and responsibility
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

As far he's concerned it will be to give the impression (with varying degrees of conviction) that he's interested in the solution.

The point when the blustering, hoohahing, unserious shit meets the implacable, carbon steel bladed fan.
  • Options

I

dixiedean said:

There’s no point bending rules about access to a security briefing to accommodate someone who does not treat it seriously.
    Not sure about your reasoning there but more specifically he has not been elected yet so this matter has to be the responsibility of TM until Boris is confirmed and in no 10
  • Options
    What would happen if a PM fails security clearance?
  • Options
    alex. said:

We are talking Corbyn here then
  • Options

alex. said:

We are talking Corbyn here then
    Depends if we’re talking about leaking something deliberately or by mistake,
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited July 2019

I

dixiedean said:

Not sure about your reasoning there but more specifically he has not been elected yet so this matter has to be the responsibility of TM until Boris is confirmed and in no 10
    Boris is due at the Palace on Wednesday so it seems churlish to exclude him for the sake of a few days. Hunt is already there, of course.

ETA betting-wise, this must strengthen the case for Hunt remaining in post.
  • Options

I

dixiedean said:

Boris is due at the Palace on Wednesday so it seems churlish to exclude him for the sake of a few days. Hunt is already there, of course.

We may well see TM, Hunt and Boris attending Cobra over the next few days
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Have a good one.

Have a good holiday!
  • Options

I

dixiedean said:

It isn't on his behalf. The less suitable or capable the next PM is, the wiser and more necessary it is to brief them. To keep

I wish people would stop calling him Boris.

• Options

I

dixiedean said:

I have said earlier Boris needs to keep Hunt as FS
  • Options
    O/T but I'm extremely excited about the new Top Gun trailer that dropped yesterday. The F14 flying sequences in the orignal always turn me into a wide-eyed schoolboy even now and the new one looks excellent. Zoomy plane goes vroom vroom.
  • Options
    alex. said:

I

dixiedean said:

It isn't on his behalf. The less suitable or capable the next PM is, the wiser and more necessary it is to brief them. To keep

I wish people would stop calling him Boris.

I think that is highly unlikely but I am sure he will be called a lot of things
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    OnboardG1 said:

O/T but I'm extremely excited about the new Top Gun trailer that dropped yesterday. The F14 flying sequences in the orignal always turn me into a wide-eyed schoolboy even now and the new one looks excellent. Zoomy plane goes vroom vroom.

zoom zoom, shirley
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A rapper. Moreover, a wealthy and influential American. Who therefore cannot seriously be expected to face due process in a foreign country.
    We are reaching the point where the Trump administration is pushing its luck.
This discussion has been closed.