Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The new order from the Honourable Member for the 18th Century

Comments

• Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    I’m amazed Rees-Mogg has the gall. Simon Heffer said his recently published book read as if ‘it was written by a baboon’.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/victorians-jacob-rees-mogg-review-cliched-lazy-history-often/amp/
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Omnium said:
    Its a faux argument. I still want a pound of mince, but I know its 454 grams, so I ask for 450 or 500 gms.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    edited July 2019
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

It is one of the more obvious things that people on both sides of remain/leave get wrong. Remain journalists are so proud that they understand WTO rules better than the leave politicians that neither group has noticed WTO is particularly impotent and likely to become more so as global trade tensions increase.

Countries will simply ignore the rules. We shouldnt worry about being in compliance with them on the Irish border. We should worry hugely about basing our trade policy on them and expecting other countries to behave according to the rules.
    We not only always obey the rules we usually gold plate them.
    More fool us.
    = Brexit
    The EU loving fifth columnist civil servants brought it on themselves?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    On topic the main problem with choosing total bellends to run your country is that your country is run by massive bellends, but also spare a thought for the poor sods who actually have to work directly for these ludicrous twats.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,728
    Scott_P said:
    I actually agree on the last one. Nothing* infuriates me more than politicians of both stripes saying 'investment' when they mean 'unfunded ongoing spending commitments.'

Brown was awful, Osborne if anything worse. Just use the word 'spending.'

*Apart from racism, unfunded manifestos, rogue apostrophes and pineapple on pizza.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Omnium said:
    Its a faux argument. I still want a pound of mince, but I know its 454 grams, so I ask for 450 or 500 gms.
    Ask a French butcher for a “livre”, or a German for a “pfund” of mince, you’ll get a half-kilo. Why is a similar arrangement beyond the wit of the UK?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    rpjs said:

Omnium said:
    Ask a French butcher for a “livre”, or a German for a “pfund” of mince, you’ll get a half-kilo. Why is a similar arrangement beyond the wit of the UK?
    Do you really want a 500ml pint? :p

On topic the main problem with choosing total bellends to run your country is that your country is run by massive bellends, but also spare a thought for the poor sods who actually have to work directly for these ludicrous twats.

Bells are of course measured in hundredweights...
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

It is one of the more obvious things that people on both sides of remain/leave get wrong. Remain journalists are so proud that they understand WTO rules better than the leave politicians that neither group has noticed WTO is particularly impotent and likely to become more so as global trade tensions increase.

Countries will simply ignore the rules. We shouldnt worry about being in compliance with them on the Irish border. We should worry hugely about basing our trade policy on them and expecting other countries to behave according to the rules.
    Which is why the ECJ will be so essential to the UK interest after Brexit. It is independent and has agency. We may no longer have any say in the rules that affect us, but the ECJ ensures other people abide by them.

Yet another thing Leavers haven't thought through in their hostility.
    ECJ are fully signed up to the federalist agenda. Absurd to suggest that they are independent.
    The ECJ's job, as with any self respecting court, is to apply the law. Having recourse to it after Brexit is one of the only possibilities of equal treatment for UK individuals and organisations.

As I say, in their hatred for the institution, Leavers haven't thought this through.
    RobD said:

rpjs said:

Omnium said:
    If they charge me for a pint and give me 500ml I will be Mr Happy.

I suspect it would be the other way around though.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    I actually agree on the last one. Nothing* infuriates me more than politicians of both stripes saying 'investment' when they mean 'unfunded ongoing spending commitments.'

*Apart from racism, unfunded manifestos, rogue apostrophes and pineapple on pizza.
    Completely agree. When a short to medium term financial return is expected, spending can be called investment (I think). Otherwise, no.

I am interested by "due to". I suppose it is less precise than "has been caused by".
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

We not only always obey the rules we usually gold plate them.
    More fool us.
    = Brexit
    The EU loving fifth columnist civil servants brought it on themselves?
    If they were a subset of the 17.4m then yes.
    rpjs said:

Omnium said:
    Why would that be required if a satisfactory unit of measurement already exists?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Omnium said:

houndtang said:

I agree with him about the phrase 'not fit for purpose' - since John Reid said it back in 2005 about the Home Office it has become one of the most tediously overused phrases in political/media speak.

That doesn't mean it should be banned, or otherwise censured. All that'll happen is that people will replace it with wordier and less pithy phrases.
    I'd certainly not ban such an abomination.

Merely shooting anyone that utters such a horrible phrase should be enough. I do agree that shooting them multiple times is a clear corrolary.
    Are you saying it's not fit for purpose?
    I would never say such a thing no matter how unfit the subject.
    I agree with France's digital tax. If a company is making 27 million, 3% seems far from unreasonable.
  • ydoethur said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Omnium said:

Why? A pint is 568ml.

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Omnium said:

Why? A pint is 568ml.
    Because I've had a couple and got confused. Maybe they were full litres?

I shall go to bed.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

I agree with France's digital tax. If a company is making 27 million, 3% seems far from unreasonable.

3% of what though?

15-20% of their gains seems more reasonable. I've no good measure to offer to assess 'their gains' mind you.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,547
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

It’s not so much that governments don’t invest in some senses - infrastructure; research; education etc - but rather they seem incapable of discriminating between investment and other expenditures.
    I’m truth, I’m not sure whether this is simple dishonesty, or whether it has become so habitual that they genuinely can’t tell the difference.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Not sure Labours strategy to trash the Lib Dems for the coalition is going to work .

All parties have made bad decisions and using that logic Labours Iraq War disaster means people should never vote for them again .

The Lib Dems seem to be being judged to a higher standard than the others .

As a normal Labour voter I’m happy to move on and if I see fit to back the Lib Dems if it helps to stop this Brexit lunacy then I will.

Just as I did during the EU elections .

I'm still triggered by this

https://twitter.com/mikecolton/status/884843351479992321

Though the New Yorker did make a decent attempt to defend the abomination

There is no defending Trump Jnr.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545
    nico67 said:

Not sure Labours strategy to trash the Lib Dems for the coalition is going to work .

All parties have made bad decisions and using that logic Labours Iraq War disaster means people should never vote for them again .

As a normal Labour voter I’m happy to move on and if I see fit to back the Lib Dems if it helps to stop this Brexit lunacy then I will.

The coalition is ancient history in political terms. Brexit is the defining issue in today's politics and we remainers must support all those who seek to stop it. Party loyalty is secondary.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Completely agree. When a short to medium term financial return is expected, spending can be called investment (I think). Otherwise, no.

I am interested by "due to". I suppose it is less precise than "has been caused by".
    Due is an adjective. It needs a noun to agree with. Most writers don’t bother finding one.
  • theProletheProle Posts: 948
    Omnium said:

Imperial measurements really need to just die out. I truly hate it that I think in miles. Nothing intrinsically wrong with a mile versus a meter, but everything is wrong with a mile having 1760 sub-units.

There will be some small losses if we ditch the Imperial measurements forever - 'four minute mile', 'six foot tall', anything to do with distance in cricket, peoples weights, and of course a bastion of attack against the evil French. On the whole though, with great reluctance as to the last point, it makes no sense at all to try to hang on to a handicap when you've long been cured.

Three reasons why they shouldn't and won't.

1) They are baked into most forms of engineering in a manner that ensures that they will survive. Take say steel pipes. They come in a range of imperial sizes, which have been standard for over 100 years, and is never going to die out. Yes, you can metricate the names or sizes, but when all is said and done - it's still means that imperial sizes dominate engineering. If you realise all your materials are sized in imperial, then actually you discover it makes sense to build everything in imperial. Metrication just means loads of really random numbers.

2) Metric is an artificial system, and they got the sizes all wrong. Millimetres are two small for many uses, meters too big, kilometres too small. (Centimetres are an aberration on many levels and the use of them should be punishable by death). Feet, Inches, yards and miles are all around the right sizes to be convenient to use - hence why they evolved in the first place.

3)Fractional English units are brilliant. They allow you to express easily the correct level of precision (you can quickly double or half the precision you are operating at, rather than x10 or x0.1), and are just generally awesome. This is also why miles being 1760 yards does actually matter - you can just express yourself as 1/4 miles or whatever instead.

Yours, works at the sharp end of heavy engineering, and these days normally with his 3d cad models at least built in imperial (the package I use, you can output quite easily in either system).

nico67 said:

The coalition is ancient history in political terms. Brexit is the defining issue in today's politics and we remainers must support all those who seek to stop it. Party loyalty is secondary.
    Exactly . I think Labour are in for a nasty surprise if they think Remainers will just rush back to the party after they reluctantly through gritted teeth inched towards a second vote. And it’s two steps forward and then back again when different shadow cabinet members give out mixed messages .
    Omnium said:

3% of what though?

15-20% of their gains seems more reasonable. I've no good measure to offer to assess 'their gains' mind you.

There purposely is no measure. However, there is very little outlay in selling advertising on your own platform. So a modest percentage of the total revenue generated in the respective country seems fair.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1114065322120744961

Why are Caroline Flint and co. allowed to get away with what they say without being challenged ? There is virtually no Labour seat that will be lost if Labour went full-throttle Remain.

That is Rubbish.

If a Labour Leave seat is 45% Labour 38% Tory, even if 80% of those Labour voters are Remainers if 20% are Leavers and vote for the Boris led Tory Party, the Tories win the seat 47%, to 36%
    But even if 20% of Labour voters there Leave, a far smaller percentage would see Brexit as so salient that other issues would not override it.
    Only if Corbyn does not try and block Brexit with the LDs
    It takes more than Corbyn plus LD to block it in Parliament.

Brexit will wreck the economy and the Tories will be 9% at the following GE!
    No, the only way the Tory Party will be on 9% is if they refuse to deliver Brexit, see the European Parliament elections
    edited July 2019

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Due is an adjective. It needs a noun to agree with. Most writers don’t bother finding one.
    "Due to" is a prepositional phrase, however, and grammatically correct I think.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Exactly . I think Labour are in for a nasty surprise if they think Remainers will just rush back to the party after they reluctantly through gritted teeth inched towards a second vote. And it’s two steps forward and then back again when different shadow cabinet members give out mixed messages .
    If there is an early election there will be a huge amount of tactical voting by remainers. I would expect the various anti-Brexit group to agree a list of candidates to support, which would include Labour candidates in some cases. There's a very good chance this would result in a parliament with a majority committed to reversing Brexit.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

If there is an early election there will be a huge amount of tactical voting by remainers. I would expect the various anti-Brexit group to agree a list of candidates to support, which would include Labour candidates in some cases. There's a very good chance this would result in a parliament with a majority committed to reversing Brexit.
    Tactical voting will be limited imho. My MP is a good egg, If I thought(as a usual tory voter that he would lose , I'd vote Tory. I'd vote anything to keep Corbyn OUT/. I voted LD at the Euros to give the Tories a bloody nose.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Tactical voting will be limited imho. My MP is a good egg, If I thought(as a usual tory voter that he would lose , I'd vote Tory. I'd vote anything to keep Corbyn OUT/. I voted LD at the Euros to give the Tories a bloody nose.
    Tactical voting will be important as never before. That’s if the various parties on each side of the divide don’t get their act together in advance, which is still possible.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

It is in modern usage. It makes for ugly sentences though.

The story goes that a station master at Charing Cross in the days of Southern Rail before nationalisation had a particular bee in his bonnet about this. Even in the 1990s, and perhaps to this day (it’s a long time since I’ve travelled that way), announcements began “owing to...”.
    Only 13% of Britons would like to be PM, 78% would not.

The most popular role to have if in the Cabinet was Health Secretary

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/07/25/who-wants-be-pm-not-most-britain

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

There was a good interview with Owen Smith this afternoon on the radio where he admitted the scale of the hole that Labour is in, and the problems it would face in any earlier election.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ydoethur said:

I am pretty comfortable with Imperial measurements and generally use them over metric ones - it just comes more naturally. But I am 55. My kids genuinely would not know how to use them. This is Rees Mogg brand building, nothing more.

I'm surprised to learn your children do no travel by road and buy no draught beer.
    Buying draught beer I would buy either a Pint of Half Pint in the same way I would buy a Single or Double spirit. They are incremental and whole units. If I was buying a small glass of beer I wouldn't say "can I get 10 ounces of beer". A pint is no more an imperial measure in reality nowadays for beer drinking than a Single or Double spirit is an SI measure. Its simply a name and a set amount.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_P said:
    Hasn't that ship sailed already? Its been under direct rule for a while.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    edited July 2019
    RobD said:
    You and your facts!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837
    With metals (310 etc) diameter is not n imperial and length in metric

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

It is in modern usage. It makes for ugly sentences though.

The story goes that a station master at Charing Cross in the days of Southern Rail before nationalisation had a particular bee in his bonnet about this. Even in the 1990s, and perhaps to this day (it’s a long time since I’ve travelled that way), announcements began “owing to...”.
    "Due to" perhaps has a connotation of consequence: this happened and so that happened. The end result is the important thing. "Because of" may put more emphasis on why something happened.

I'm not sure why Rees-Mogg objects to "fit for purpose" rather than, say, "meets the requirements".

Scott_P said:
    That’s not the case . Legally speaking there’s not direct rule from the UK .

No deal contingency plans would need a change to the law to become effective , the government currently does not have the legal power at the moment .

NI will be the worst effected by no deal .
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    nico67 said:

Scott_P said:
    That’s not the case . Legally speaking there’s not direct rule from the UK .

No deal contingency plans would need a change to the law to become effective , the government currently does not have the legal power at the moment .

NI will be the worst effected by no deal .
    I don't think the Republic will benefit hugely
    Details of the latest YouGov after Boris was elected Tory leader have the LDs leading with middle class ABC1 voters on 27%, with the Tories second on 25%, Labour third on 18% and the Brexit Party 4th with 14%.

However with working class C2DE voters the Tories lead on 25%, Labour and the Brexit Party are tied for 2nd on 21% each and the LDs are 4th on 17%.

Looks like the LDs have replaced the Tories as the main party of the middle class, the Brexit Party is close to replacing Labour as the new party of the working class and the Boris Tories are classless, getting the same voteshare with middle class and working class voters

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/s7dlnv4ta4/TimesResults_VI_190724_w.pdf
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    HYUFD said:

Details of the latest YouGov after Boris was elected Tory leader have the LDs leading with middle class ABC1 voters on 27%, with the Tories second on 25%, Labour third on 18% and the Brexit Party 4th with 14%.

However with working class C2DE voters the Tories lead on 25%, Labour and the Brexit Party are tied for 2nd on 21% each and the LDs are 4th on 17%.

Looks like the LDs have replaced the Tories as the main party of the middle class, the Brexit Party is close to replacing Labour as the new party of the working class and the Boris Tories are classless, getting the same voteshare with middle class and working class voters

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/s7dlnv4ta4/TimesResults_VI_190724_w.pdf

Classless or lacking class?
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Discussion about the English language - perfect. Should be mandatory in all schools and power to the Mogg's elbow - spot the double space.
  • StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    HYUFD said:

Turnout dear boy. ABC1s greater, C2DEs lesser.

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Discussion about the English language - perfect. Should be mandatory in all schools and power to the Mogg's elbow - spot the double space.
    Single space, surely!

HYUFD said:

How self aware
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    HYUFD said:

2 standouts from that for me. Other than those highlighted.
    1) Labour losing 4 times as many of its 2017 voters to LD and Green as to TBP.
    2) Tories lead among women. LDs among men. Which seems counter intuitive.
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    There's a chap at work who, when asked his height, said "a hundred and ninety three centimetres". Not the obvious "six foot four", or even a continental "one-ninety-three".

We'd have had a better handle on things if he'd said he was nineteen hands high.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    Why do men get an honorific but not women? Doesn't this just illustrate the stultifying and outdated upbringing Rees-Mogg has had? And why use imperial measures when nobody has learned them at school for decades? What a pathetic man, the poster child for everything that's wrong with this country.

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Single space, surely!
    It does look that way but I swear I performed a double space - I always do after a fullstop.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Single space, surely!
    It does look that way but I swear I performed a double space - I always do after a fullstop.
    HTML quite rightly removes double spaces.

Why do men get an honorific but not women? Doesn't this just illustrate the stultifying and outdated upbringing Rees-Mogg has had? And why use imperial measures when nobody has learned them at school for decades? What a pathetic man, the poster child for everything that's wrong with this country.

God, you're humourless
  • OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,269
    On imperial measurements, I'm also an engineer and I have never once in my career over the last ten years encountered a single imperial measurement outside of weird shit that the Americans send us. They make the mathematics harder than it needs to be, they don't work with a lot of electrical engineering units and they cause confusion when you have to convert between them. Please lets just kill them.

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Single space, surely!
    Who the fuck is HTML?
  • OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,269

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Single space, surely!
    Who the fuck is HTML?
    His Thai Majesty's Llama.

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Single space, surely!
    UK low productivity mystery solved.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049
    I switched over to metric as a medical student, but living in Australia and New Zealand consolidated it. I got used to using road distances in Km, and buying fruit in kilos. I still buy by the kg in Leicester market, never had a problem being served.

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Boris did a walkabout in Birmingham today, and was mobbed by people wanting to take selfies.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9592723/boris-johnson-general-election-brexit-hire-police/
  • DougSeal said:

The oddest one is how some people measure the speed of a cricket delivery in kmph.

A 100mph delivery had an almost unobtainable greatness to it which a 160kmph delivery can never have.

We are the only cricket playing nation still using imperial for anything
    What about the length of a cricket pitch? Do they all refer to 20.12m?
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

The gender break is the opposite of other recent polls.

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Single space, surely!
    Who the fuck is HTML?
    Have you discovered ballpoint pens yet? Unlike quills they don’t need constant sharpening.
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

LD ahead of Labour in Midlands, Wales, Rest of South and Scotland is interesting too. Always a pleasure discussing Scottish subsamples...
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

The gender break is the opposite of other recent polls.
    The conservatives are so déclassé
    edited July 2019
    Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

Looking to the next GE, turnout is absolutely key.

We know that the 2016 referendum vote brought out a bunch of normally non-voting folk to see leave home (often typified, with a high level of generalisation, as being those further down the census alphabet from ‘left behind’ areas)

We know that the 2017 GE brought out a greater than usual bunch of younger voters.

So will normally non-voting leavers turn out one more time? Will the youth who have lost their zeal for Corbyn turn out for Remain?

HYUFD said:

Speaking of class, has Jacob Rees-Mogg missed his vocation as an eccentric Eton schoolmaster?
    IanB2 said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

Looking to the next GE, turnout is absolutely key.

We know that the 2016 referendum vote brought out a bunch of normally non-voting folk to see leave home (often typified, with a high level of generalisation, as being those further down the census alphabet from ‘left behind’ areas)

We know that the 2017 GE brought out a greater than usual bunch of younger voters.

So will normally non-voting leavers turn out one more time? Will the youth who have lost their zeal for Corbyn turn out for Remain?
    No. Yes.
    OnboardG1 said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Single space, surely!
    Who the fuck is HTML?
    His Thai Majesty's Llama.
    Sounds religious, does that make it alright?
    HYUFD said:

Details of the latest YouGov after Boris was elected Tory leader.....

Looks like the LDs have replaced the Tories as the main party of the middle class....

For a Tory to say that so lightly, as if it were of no consequence, is truly remarkable.
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Looks like the LDs have replaced the Tories as the main party of the middle class....

For a Tory to say that so lightly, as if it were of no consequence, is truly remarkable.
    A mere scratch.
    If Keir Starmer became Labour leader many Remainers would get back on board .

Whilst Corbyn is in charge that’s not going to happen because many know he’s anti EU and don’t trust him.

The Lib Dems will use that even if Labours position became more solidly Remain .

Foxy said:

I switched over to metric as a medical student, but living in Australia and New Zealand consolidated it. I got used to using road distances in Km, and buying fruit in kilos. I still buy by the kg in Leicester market, never had a problem being served.

By Mr Humphreys presumably
    Streeter said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Single space, surely!
    Who the fuck is HTML?
    Have you discovered ballpoint pens yet? Unlike quills they don’t need constant sharpening.
    Another humourless pillock
    Why does Jacob put on that stupid affected accent? His sister, Annunizata, doesn't speak that way!

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Give the Mogg his due...

Single space, surely!
    Who the fuck is HTML?
    You are looking at her now.
    Jacob Rees-Mogg is wrong. So is everyone else on pb. The worst offence against both English and common sense is official reports where the lines are double-spaced: a practice that comes from typewritten first drafts to allow room for alterations and the editor's blue pencil. It was rendered pointless by the introduction of word processing and computer typesetting decades ago.

Here is an example from earlier today, the sentencing remarks for "Nick":
    https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/BEECH-Sentencing-Remarks-26.7.19-003.pdf

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes amazing . Middle class Tories are crucial for them , without those they’ll never get a majority .

Jacob Rees-Mogg is wrong. So is everyone else on pb. The worst offence against both English and common sense is official reports where the lines are double-spaced: a practice that comes from typewritten first drafts to allow room for alterations and the editor's blue pencil. It was rendered pointless by the introduction of word processing and computer typesetting decades ago.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/BEECH-Sentencing-Remarks-26.7.19-003.pdf

I agree about double spacing lines but will defend wholeheartedly double spacing after fullstops.

I agree about double spacing lines but will defend wholeheartedly double spacing after fullstops.
    Single spacing is the correct way.
    nico67 said:

If Keir Starmer became Labour leader many Remainers would get back on board .

Whilst Corbyn is in charge that’s not going to happen because many know he’s anti EU and don’t trust him.

The Lib Dems will use that even if Labours position became more solidly Remain .

Labour cannot win back Remainers with Corbyn in charge. He is not to be trusted. If replaced by Phillips or Watson or Starmer or even Thornbury then a policy shift would be credible, but not otherwise.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Just seen the header. The Moggster is such a twat.
    Justine Greening’s former SpAd has defected from Tory to LibDem
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911

God, you're humourless
    You don't think this list of rules is fucking odd? I wasn't trying to be funny so you don't need to feel bad that you didn't see any humour in it. Rees Mogg doesn't think gay people should get married or women should control their own reproduction, if you think that's all a laugh then go ahead and knock yourself out.

Foxy said:

By Mr Humphreys presumably
    Yes, Australia was curiously like Romania in these things B)
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

My rabbit is clearly a fan of JRM - immediately after I posted the previous comment he bit me on the toe!
    nico67 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes amazing . Middle class Tories are crucial for them , without those they’ll never get a majority .

I think the old class classifications are becoming increasingly marginalised. The "middle class" is pretty hard to define; toffs and scum bags more easily so as I think The Young Ones demonstrated.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    RobD said:

rpjs said:

Omnium said:
    Yes, because the Winchester pints we use here in the colonies are about 475ml!

My rabbit is clearly a fan of JRM - immediately after I posted the previous comment he bit me on the toe!
    Your rabbit is clearly a discerning rabbit.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    edited July 2019
    Were I one of JR-M’s staff, after I had finished laughing, I would write him a short note informing that I would be paying no attention to his “style” guide until such time as he had managed to find, buy and wear every day suits that fitted him.

PS I might also add a PS with a list of good tailors in and around Jermyn Street.

God, you're humourless
    You don't think this list of rules is fucking odd? I wasn't trying to be funny so you don't need to feel bad that you didn't see any humour in it. Rees Mogg doesn't think gay people should get married or women should control their own reproduction, if you think that's all a laugh then go ahead and knock yourself out.
    prat
    Cyclefree said:

Were I one of JR-M’s staff, after I had finished laughing, I would write him a short note informing that I would be paying no attention to his “style” guide until such time as he had managed to find, buy and wear every day suits that fitted him.

PS I might also add a PS with a list of good tailors in and around Jermyn Street.

While double breasted does look a bit Eighties (or Twenties...), it is a style that suits a tall thin man.
    edited July 2019

Single spacing is the correct way.
    I can rest easy tonight, unless ..... you mean after fullstops!
This discussion has been closed.