Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On what’s currently the biggest UK political betting market pu

Comments

• Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Johnson has got himself into a situation where delivering Brexit on 31st October is not enough. It has to be a No Deal Brexit. If this is an example of the genius of Dominic Cummings it may be that he is not quite the genius we’ve been led to believe he is.

Opinium yesterday had No Deal now the public's most favoured option.

45% of voters back No Deal, 28% of voters want to revoke Article 50 and stay in the EU and just 13% of voters want to extend Article 50 past October until a Brexit Deal is done

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-24th-july-2019/

Hmmmm ...
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1155554899809247232?s=21
    The report doesn't say what @HYUFD says it does. (See: https://www.opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Opinium-Political-Report-24th-July-2019.pdf)

45% of people say "Go ahead with Brexit on October 31st even if it means leaving with ‘no deal’".

"Even if it means No Deal" != "No Deal is my preferred option"

Indeed - a few pages on the poll makes clear what the preferred options are. And it's not No Deal. But Johnson has got himself into a place where he has to deliver one or he and the Tories will be done for. But then what happens? It is very, very hard to see how things end well for the.

Boris is heading for a 4th consecutive Tory government, something achieved only once in the last 100 years.

The Tories are fine thanks

Yep - your team is winning, of that there is absolutely no doubt at all. Whether that is good for the country and whether it is sustainable are very different issues. But I suspect that like all fans you do not really care about that right now. It's just one game at a time.

Your side applauded the defeats of the WA. It’s not so clever now. A coalition of erg nutters and a Labour Party opposing something that largely did what they wanted within the confines of accepting the referendum result voted against the only compromise on the table.

This is parliaments “no deal”.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    There's an entire Establishment massively invested in Boris having to fail. Because otherwise, history will show they have just spent three years wanking into their sock...
    The prize for Boris if he gets movement is enormous though. They are building him up to fail massively. That could backfire.
    Who get's the most damage if No Deal occurs?

Who is able to ameliorate the effects on their members better if No Deal occurs?

Who values the integrity of the SM higher than a trade relationship with an ex member?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Johnson has got himself into a situation where delivering Brexit on 31st October is not enough. It has to be a No Deal Brexit. If this is an example of the genius of Dominic Cummings it may be that he is not quite the genius we’ve been led to believe he is.

45% of voters back No Deal, 28% of voters want to revoke Article 50 and stay in the EU and just 13% of voters want to extend Article 50 past October until a Brexit Deal is done

They don't know what they are talking about and they will forget they ever were in favour when there are food shortages and huge job losses.
    Yup that will bring back the Leavers on board let's call them thickos again - worked really well in 2016.

It's just a political fact: people do not blame themselves or their votes for things that go wrong, they blame the people in charge.

Quite a lot has gone wrong since 2016 yet Leavers have if anything got more extreme. Maybe because of the way they are still being demonised by people who ought to know better and have respect for democracy.

I am afraid I just do not recognise what you are describing. I struggle to see anyone anywhere demonising Leave voters. Plenty are demonising the political leaders who advocated Brexit, but that is very different.

My intitial response was to rotten Borough's comment 'they don't know what they're talking about'. Continually insulting the intelligence of voters may well be factually accurate [ not for me to judge] but it sure ain't a good way to change their minds. I have struggled to be polite to friends who voted to leave - I now accept that most genuinely believe in their choice and I respect them for it, while thinking they are wrong.

Edit: Try reading some of Roger's posts about Hartlepool for example - countless examples on here.
    If people don't know what they are talking about, what is the polite way of saying it? "They're out of there depth?" "This is not, at this time, their area of expertise?"

Did you see the Mars Bar thread on twitter the other day? Literally the PM says leaving with No Deal won't mean you can't have Mars Bars, and someone from Mars came out and said "well, it means maybe you won't, because all of these things". That's just for Mars Bars. Nobody knows what they're talking about, except to say "it will be worse than staying".
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited July 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Who will parliament appoint PM for a day to revoke A50 though ?

Strictly speaking I don't think they have to be an MP? In which case, how about John Major? He's impeccably Tory, and I'm sure he'd enjoy sticking it to the Bastards.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

felix said:

Another dilemma for the Labour left:
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/07/the-curious-reaction-to-a-niqab-wearing-homophobe/

Come on Owen Jones let's hear from you.

Did you really fall for that article? You bought into the incredibly tortured logic required to pretend that supporting a woman's right the wear the niqab is somehow inconsistent with criticise a woman for anything she does while wearing one?
    The issue is that people are not prepared to address the fact that there are those within Islam who are fostering the sort of bigotry that this individual has chosen to accept. It is not all of Islam - but if you look at the research, the level of anti-LGBT+ sentiment within Islam in Europe is high, within Europe in other parts of the world it stratospherically high.

People are free to choose whatever religion/faith they wish. But they are not free to spread hate using their faith as a shield for their bigotry.

You choose your religion, you do not choose your sexuality. So we have to challenge any religion that tries to deny my right to live and love.

And too many of our political leaders are not prepared to challenge on this subject for fear of being accused of being -phobic. And by remaining silent, they are allowing homophobia to increase.

This needs to stop.
    This is what I feel is the real virtue signalling.

Most people born pre noughties grew up in a world that was super homophobic (post noughties is only less homophobic relatively). You may think "well, not me guv" but I remember when gay and f** were common slurs used at anyone. I remember people I know not wanting to walk down the road holding hands. I remember having conversations with family members and friends' parents about equal marriage and they hated the idea.

LGBTQ+ rights are not a stick to beat Muslims with. What about LGBTQ+ Muslims themselves? What about the Catholic church? What about the increase in homophobic violence across Europe which isn't coming from the immigrant community but from the far right? What about all the trans panic stuff?
    Churches and Mosques should not have gay marriage forced upon them but neither should they spread homophobia either
    So as long as they keep their homophobia to themselves then that is OK?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

felix said:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/07/the-curious-reaction-to-a-niqab-wearing-homophobe/

Did you really fall for that article? You bought into the incredibly tortured logic required to pretend that supporting a woman's right the wear the niqab is somehow inconsistent with criticise a woman for anything she does while wearing one?
    The issue is that people are not prepared to address the fact that there are those within Islam who are fostering the sort of bigotry that this individual has chosen to accept. It is not all of Islam - but if you look at the research, the level of anti-LGBT+ sentiment within Islam in Europe is high, within Europe in other parts of the world it stratospherically high.

People are free to choose whatever religion/faith they wish. But they are not free to spread hate using their faith as a shield for their bigotry.

You choose your religion, you do not choose your sexuality. So we have to challenge any religion that tries to deny my right to live and love.

And too many of our political leaders are not prepared to challenge on this subject for fear of being accused of being -phobic. And by remaining silent, they are allowing homophobia to increase.

This needs to stop.

Most people born pre noughties grew up in a world that was super homophobic (post noughties is only less homophobic relatively). You may think "well, not me guv" but I remember when gay and f** were common slurs used at anyone. I remember people I know not wanting to walk down the road holding hands. I remember having conversations with family members and friends' parents about equal marriage and they hated the idea.

LGBTQ+ rights are not a stick to beat Muslims with. What about LGBTQ+ Muslims themselves? What about the Catholic church? What about the increase in homophobic violence across Europe which isn't coming from the immigrant community but from the far right? What about all the trans panic stuff?
    Churches and Mosques should not have gay marriage forced upon them but neither should they spread homophobia either
    Of course. Why wouldn’t it be?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    eek said:

Scott_P said:
    There's an entire Establishment massively invested in Boris having to fail. Because otherwise, history will show they have just spent three years wanking into their sock...
    I don't see what he is offering the EU to reopen the deal...
    Reality. We're both going to hurt.... The UK is also offering an end to the rubbish that the EU is being jolly decent, you know, offering us what they have. The EU has tied itself to a lead balloon of a "deal", that May and Collins thought they could sell.

The couldn't. Their careers ended in ignominy as result of their miscalculation. But it was also a miscalculation by the EU that it would do the job. It won't. So get real - start again. Or within 100 days, the slide to recession begins....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Pulpstar said:

One point which perhaps hasn't been fully picked up on by commentators is that all this 'do or die' rhetoric and issuing what sounds like ultimatums* to Brussels provides plenty of cover, as well as a very strong reason, for sane MPs to take an equally 'do or die' approach. So Boris and the ERGers who temporarily think they run the country can hardly complain if sensible MPs do 'whatever it takes' to prevent this suicidal course, and that might justifiably include some measures which are a constitutional novelty.

* (admittedly threatening to damage ourselves very badly, which is an odd kind of diplomatic ultimatum)

Well quite. If the government is going to lose a vote of confidence (and we have Jacob Rees-Mogg's confirmation that he thinks they would), what's to stop MPs seizing control of the Parliamentary agenda in the 14 day period?
    Who will parliament appoint PM for a day to revoke A50 though ?
    Ken Clarke or Starmer. Not easy, but entirely within the bounds of possibility.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

You may find it hard to believe but yes, all Scots

I have been close to Scotland since primary school, have lived there, was married there 55 years ago to my dear Scottish wife and have a large family in NE Scotland.

If I had to choose between a Scotsman and an Englishman like Francois, Baker or the Spartans, I am 100% pro Scots and Scotland

Well that choice is a no-brainer. With you there.

But I bet you prefer Theresa May to Gordon Brown.

And Barry Gardiner - you DEFINITELY don't like him.
  • Options
    I know this went around the other day, but people are aware the backstop was the UKs idea. That they saw the Irish border problem, and managed to pry many juicy cherries from the EU, to allow the possibility of staying in the CU whilst refusing to do other things like FOM and whatnot? Stuff other EU countries would kill for? I understand that Brexit has nothing to do with economics or policy, and is purely the right wing id to own the libs and give two fingers up to jonny foreigner, but the backstop was good for the Conservatives, actually, and May was just awful at selling it (and anything else) to the public.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    dixiedean said:

If I was Jeremy Corbyn I'd be reluctant to back Starmer or any other substantial Labour figure for fear that they ran away with the ball. Better to go with a non-threatening Tory grandee.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    Reality. We're both going to hurt.... The UK is also offering an end to the rubbish that the EU is being jolly decent, you know, offering us what they have. The EU has tied itself to a lead balloon of a "deal", that May and Collins thought they could sell.

The couldn't. Their careers ended in ignominy as result of their miscalculation. But it was also a miscalculation by the EU that it would do the job. It won't. So get real - start again. Or within 100 days, the slide to recession begins....
    Gibberish
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Hmmmm ...
    The report doesn't say what @HYUFD says it does. (See: https://www.opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Opinium-Political-Report-24th-July-2019.pdf)

45% of people say "Go ahead with Brexit on October 31st even if it means leaving with ‘no deal’".

Indeed - a few pages on the poll makes clear what the preferred options are. And it's not No Deal. But Johnson has got himself into a place where he has to deliver one or he and the Tories will be done for. But then what happens? It is very, very hard to see how things end well for the.

Boris is heading for a 4th consecutive Tory government, something achieved only once in the last 100 years.

Yep - your team is winning, of that there is absolutely no doubt at all. Whether that is good for the country and whether it is sustainable are very different issues. But I suspect that like all fans you do not really care about that right now. It's just one game at a time.

Your side applauded the defeats of the WA. It’s not so clever now. A coalition of erg nutters and a Labour Party opposing something that largely did what they wanted within the confines of accepting the referendum result voted against the only compromise on the table.

I don’t have a side. I - very reluctantly - supported May’s WA.

• Options

dixiedean said:

If I was Jeremy Corbyn I'd be reluctant to back Starmer or any other substantial Labour figure for fear that they ran away with the ball. Better to go with a non-threatening Tory grandee.
    Well yes. But Labour MPs might not see it that way. They may view that prospect rather more positively.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

felix said:

This needs to stop.

So religious institutions should be a 'Safe Space' for homophobes. Should we also have safe spaces for racists?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2019
    Dadge said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:

Gibberish
    A catastrophic UK recession, and relatively circumscribed EU damage..
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The EU has tied itself to a lead balloon of a "deal", that May and Collins thought they could sell.

The couldn't.

BoZo voted for it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    eek said:

Scott_P said:
    That is true. The fact that it will be seen as the UK strong-arming the EU successfully at this stage is a point against a breakthrough being made. What is required is some creative thought - a third way. 'Peace with honour' as Disraeli said after the Treaty of San Stefano (?) for all. Who knows whether this will happen.
  • Options

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    That is true. The fact that it will be seen as the UK strong-arming the EU successfully at this stage is a point against a breakthrough being made. What is required is some creative thought - a third way. 'Peace with honour' as Disraeli said after the Treaty of San Stefano (?) for all. Who knows whether this will happen.
    Free movement of labour would open that door pretty quickly.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2019
    Johnson surely knows that a new election will inevitably be started to be set in motion by early September.
  • Options

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

felix said:

This needs to stop.

Most people born pre noughtiesd at anyone. I remember people I know not wanting to walk down the road holding hands. I remember having conversations with family members and friends' parents about equal marriage and they hated the idea.

So religious institutions should be a 'Safe Space' for homophobes. Should we also have safe spaces for racists?
    Absolutely. Of course. Why shouldn’t they be? What a bizarre notion that people shouldn’t be allowed to freely associate with people who share their views.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:
    £100 million in 94 days. A million pounds a day. What's Roger's share?
  • Options

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Hmmmm ...

Please accept my apology. It’s so easy to fall into a for or against mentality.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,776

Scott_P said:
    He is digging himself such a deep hole!

They really think the EU is going to blink don't they?
    The supposed logic of ramping up preparations for a no-deal outcome is that this will induce the EU to blink and drop the repeated insistence of its leaders that the agreement can’t be reopened. They will then buckle and give him concessions that they wouldn’t offer to Mrs May. Now ask yourself this: how likely are Europe’s leaders to make themselves look very stupid in order to make Boris Johnson look very clever?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/28/mr-johnson-swears-off-early-election-sweaty-aroma-says-otherwise
    Not to mention that if the EU conceded anything significant, Trump will be crowing "I told you so" worldwide.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    £100 million in 94 days. A million pounds a day. What's Roger's share?
    Protect and Survive would be a good slogan. That'll be £2m quid. You're welcome.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    notme2 said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    notme2 said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    I can't think how that could break the deadlock, but oddly that's exactly what popped into my head too.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Yeah, so this leads to the Mormonism in the 70s question. If your religion states that black people are fallen and therefore shouldn't be allowed in the church, does a church have that right?

Edit: seriously can anyone give a simple guide as how to keep blockquotes looking correct once I hit the character limit?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The EU has tied itself to a lead balloon of a "deal", that May and Collins thought they could sell.

The couldn't.

BoZo voted for it.
    So blame Labour.....
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

felix said:

This needs to stop.

It is ridiculous to confuse moral conviction with hatred of those who think or act differently.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I can't see why they are wasting all this money on a no-deal information campaign. It would be much cheaper, and go down better with the key demographic, just to re-run existing films:

https://www.britishpathe.com/workspaces/643fc304416d8911bc930b39b2c12f43/wwii-public-information-films
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

felix said:

This needs to stop.
    Really? Stella Creasy apparently had no trouble calling it out in this instance. Could you give me some examples of the left defending homophobia when it's religiously-motivated?
    It is not about defending, it is refusing to say anything at all that is the real issue.

Creasy's tweet is in no way a strong enough condemnation of what happened. It is a start - but not enough.

Too many on the left won't say anything for upsetting a key demographic of their supporters. Too many on the right won't say anything because they have sympathy for the bigotry. Too many just won't engage for fear of being accused of being racist.

Silence is what I am calling out. And it is giving the bigots space in which to spread their hate
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

felix said:

T

Most people born pre noughtiesd at anyone. I remember people I know not wanting to walk down the road holding hands. I remember having conversations with family members and friends' parents about equal marriage and they hated the idea.

Absolutely. Of course. Why shouldn’t they be? What a bizarre notion that people shouldn’t be allowed to freely associate with people who share their views.
    Well apart from the views being expressed being illegal. Or are you supportive of chat groups for paedophiles, too?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    148grss said:

Yeah, so this leads to the Mormonism in the 70s question. If your religion states that black people are fallen and therefore shouldn't be allowed in the church, does a church have that right?

Edit: seriously can anyone give a simple guide as how to keep blockquotes looking correct once I hit the character limit?

@algarkirk
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited July 2019
    I don't particularly how anyone or business can prepare for a "No deal" exit and any attempt at mitigation could become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Just what are these public information films going to say - buy your travel money now for next year or it'll become dearer ?

One aspect of panic buying that always amuses me is the shear quantity of bread that always gets cleared off the shelves.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    The prize for Boris if he gets movement is enormous though. They are building him up to fail massively. That could backfire.
    He's not going to get movement. What he is doing, in these few weeks while MPs, the EU, and hacks are on holiday, is moving the narrative. As if the EU wasn't demonised enough (hence the referendum result) he thinks turning them into the Devil will create such a mood in the public that Parliament will have to let him have a No Deal exit, lest he calls a GE that he wins (with Farage's help). Will MPs hold their nerve?
  • Options
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Hmmmm ...

Please accept my apology. It’s so easy to fall into a for or against mentality.

Of course - no problem at all!!

• Options
    Anorak said:

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

felix said:

T

Well apart from the views being expressed being illegal. Or are you supportive of chat groups for paedophiles, too?
    Neither racism or homophobia are illegal.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

I can't see why they are wasting all this money on a no-deal information campaign. It would be much cheaper, and go down better with the key demographic, just to re-run existing films:

https://www.britishpathe.com/workspaces/643fc304416d8911bc930b39b2c12f43/wwii-public-information-films

take your door off the hinges and hide under it?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    notme2 said:

Who here now thinks Boris means it now when it comes to NoDeal?
    He might not desire it but the current state of limbo must end. If we really do end up pushed out and punished for desiring self determination. Let’s do anything and everything we can to damage the integrity of their single market. They want a border in Northern Ireland let them put it there. If no border (which neither the uk or republic will construct) let’s use it as an officially endorsed by uk means of importing and exporting goods.

You want to beat the crap out of us? That’s fine but don’t be surprised when you get shanked in the kidneys. We may have been only one of twenty seven but our economy is larger than twenty of those put together.

Could be quite profitable for the RoI, as well.
    They invite people to tranship through them. A fixed rate for any items that won't be opened until over the border. No standards checks, no customs fee, no checks for legality.

They get paid, the shipments cross into Northern Ireland with no checks, and from there into the rest of the UK (again with no checks- "No border down the Irish Sea")

We have regained control (Is this right? - Ed) and Ireland gets to make a decent profit out of us.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Pulpstar said:

I don't particularly how anyone or business can prepare for a "No deal" exit and any attempt at mitigation could become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Just what are these public information films going to say - buy your travel money now for next year or it'll become dearer ?

"If you can, move your business to one of EU27 countries, we recommend Ireland as the easiest. If you farm sheep, talk to a financial adviser about early retirement as you won't have a livelihood soon. If you're a dumb blonde looking for a rich husband, go for a lawyer, he'll have plenty of work for years."
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    nico67 said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks to ralphmalph and nico67. In the words of the lawyer I shall be none the wiser. But much better informed.

You’re welcome . The thing is as Ralph said those bills aren’t critical for no deal but would be needed immediately post October 31st .

I think the thing to look out for is the emergency debate route . Bercow can effectively ignore the advice of his clerks and do whatever he likes .
    Question about a VoNC.

If Corbyn is too disinterested to do one, and let's be honest I think Corbyn will never VoNC, then what is the route to a VoNC?

The Leader of the Opposition won't table one.
    The Prime Minister won't either.

After that, am I right in suspecting it is the SNP, and a VERY helpful Bercow to get one tabled? Perhaps a joint SNP/LD motion, with an appeal to Bercow that this is a joint VoNC coming from the third largest party, and the (second?) oldest party in Parliament and must be heard? Perhaps tack on CUK, Green and PC support too?

And if Bercow did allow the debate, I wonder if enough Labour MPs would support it (I suspect not), as it wasn't tabled by the Jezziah himself.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Those two statements are in no way contradictory. Please at least check your retweets before blindly posting them.

Mods, may I suggest that we could encourage people to post Tweets accompanied by some commentary explaining why they find this particular Tweet to be valuable or insightful? I wouldn't just quote a book, poll, or other PBer without offering something additional.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Anorak said:

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

felix said:

T

It absolutely becomes illegal when you shout homophobic language at Pride attendees on a street in London as happened this weekend.

And that would be the same if an individual was shouting similarly racist language at people on a street.
  • Options

Well, we need to remain cheerful and optimistic, so this one should get the Boris seal of approval:

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/a-welcome-visitor
  • Options

Those two statements are in no way contradictory.

Yes, they really are.
  • Options

nico67 said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks to ralphmalph and nico67. In the words of the lawyer I shall be none the wiser. But much better informed.

You’re welcome . The thing is as Ralph said those bills aren’t critical for no deal but would be needed immediately post October 31st .

I think the thing to look out for is the emergency debate route . Bercow can effectively ignore the advice of his clerks and do whatever he likes .
    Question about a VoNC.

If Corbyn is too disinterested to do one, and let's be honest I think Corbyn will never VoNC, then what is the route to a VoNC?

The Leader of the Opposition won't table one.
    The Prime Minister won't either.

After that, am I right in suspecting it is the SNP, and a VERY helpful Bercow to get one tabled? Perhaps a joint SNP/LD motion, with an appeal to Bercow that this is a joint VoNC coming from the third largest party, and the (second?) oldest party in Parliament and must be heard? Perhaps tack on CUK, Green and PC support too?

And if Bercow did allow the debate, I wonder if enough Labour MPs would support it (I suspect not), as it wasn't tabled by the Jezziah himself.
    Corbyn will table one. He was right not to table one last week - Tories haven't made up their minds on Boris. In September we'll find out what Boris is planning and how many Tory rebels there are.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Those two statements are in no way contradictory. Please at least check your retweets before blindly posting them.

Mods, may I suggest that we could encourage people to post Tweets accompanied by some commentary explaining why they find this particular Tweet to be valuable or insightful? I wouldn't just quote a book, poll, or other PBer without offering something additional.

The PM does not share the working assumption of his government. Hmmm.

• Options
    notme2 said:

Nor is paedophilia.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

felix said:

This needs to stop.

The only safe space allowed should be inside people's heads.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    148grss said:

Edit so only the first opening blockquote is present together with the (matching) last closing blockquote. Remove the stuff in the middle from previous messages.

Opening quote is: <blockquote class="Quote" rel="SOMEONE">

Closing quote has a slash: </blockquote>
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    Scott_P said:

Yes, they really are.
    Not really - in any sane organisation you have someone doing disaster planning.

Gove is doing the disaster and contingency planning, Johnson is above that trying to prevent / facilitate it depending on your point of view..
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

notme2 said:

He might not desire it but the current state of limbo must end. If we really do end up pushed out and punished for desiring self determination. Let’s do anything and everything we can to damage the integrity of their single market. They want a border in Northern Ireland let them put it there. If no border (which neither the uk or republic will construct) let’s use it as an officially endorsed by uk means of importing and exporting goods.

You want to beat the crap out of us? That’s fine but don’t be surprised when you get shanked in the kidneys. We may have been only one of twenty seven but our economy is larger than twenty of those put together.

They invite people to tranship through them. A fixed rate for any items that won't be opened until over the border. No standards checks, no customs fee, no checks for legality.

They get paid, the shipments cross into Northern Ireland with no checks, and from there into the rest of the UK (again with no checks- "No border down the Irish Sea")

We have regained control (Is this right? - Ed) and Ireland gets to make a decent profit out of us.
    Ireland does not have the port capacity to do this and the NI ports also do not have the capacity. Very early on in the brexit process the issue of container port capacity in RoI was raised. A lot of RoW goods for Ireland come into UK ports and then put onto HGVs to get to Ireland. RoI has over the past three years been trying to address this.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Well yes. But Labour MPs might not see it that way. They may view that prospect rather more positively.
    I honestly think, with everything we know about Corbyn, that he will see it in terms of an opportunity to push the left's succession and we will have some element of a stand off in which Long-Bailey is pushed as the alternative.

Also, FTPA would be the same for the temporary government as for Boris. It might suit either or both Labour and Boris to procrastinate a little and make mischief before any VoNC or dissolution request comes before parliament, and frankly, even if LDs withdraw support after day 1, their mechanisms to force the issue are weak.
  • Options
    eek said:

Gove is doing the disaster and contingency planning, Johnson is above that trying to prevent / facilitate it depending on your point of view..

In those circumstances the boss agrees with the assumptions underlying the planning
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Boris does not assume that there will be no deal, as he has stated before. Nor, I am sure, does Michael Gove. However, the working assumption of the Government is that there will be a no deal. Where is the contradiction here?
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, they really are.

There are plenty of risk managers. They do not say publicly that they are actively preparing for the worst case scenario because they think it is the most likely outcome unless they believe it is the most likely outcome. If the CEO does not agree something has gone wrong.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

notme2 said:

Ireland does not have the port capacity to do this and the NI ports also do not have the capacity. Very early on in the brexit process the issue of container port capacity in RoI was raised. A lot of RoW goods for Ireland come into UK ports and then put onto HGVs to get to Ireland. RoI has over the past three years been trying to address this.
    Re port capacity, I don't think that's true. I posted a link to Irish container ports the other day, and none of them were running anywhere near capacity.

I think there are 100 reasons why transshipment won't happen to any great extent, but Irish port capacity isn't one of them.
  • Options

Boris does not assume that there will be no deal, as he has stated before. Nor, I am sure, does Michael Gove. However, the working assumption of the Government is that there will be a no deal. Where is the contradiction here?

Neither the PM not the man in charge of preparedness agree with their own government?

Sound contradictory to me...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Why do I think £100m spent telling people not to panic is going to have the opposite effect?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Well, we need to remain cheerful and optimistic, so this one should get the Boris seal of approval:

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/a-welcome-visitor
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Scott_P said:

Did PM Boris say the deal would be done in 90 days?

• Options

Scott_P said:

The PM does not agree with his government. Who should businesses believe?

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Scott_P said:

Neither the PM not the man in charge of preparedness agree with their own government?

It is not a case of not agreeing. The working assumption of Trident is that there will be a nuclear attack from a hostile state. That does not mean the PM assumes that there will be such an attack, which is what he was asked with reference to no deal. The clue is in the extra word. It is a simple matter of comprehension, which I appreciate there isn't time for when blindly retweeting everything.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Scott_P said:

Really ? "A million to one chance" of a No Deal - Johnson
  • Options

notme2 said:

Anorak said:

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

felix said:

T

It absolutely becomes illegal when you shout homophobic language at Pride attendees on a street in London as happened this weekend.

And that would be the same if an individual was shouting similarly racist language at people on a street.
    The crime was the public order offence. Not that it was racist or homophobic.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It is not a case of not agreeing. The working assumption of Trident is that there will be a nuclear attack from a hostile state. That does not mean the PM assumes that there will be such an attack, which is what he was asked with reference to no deal. The clue is in the extra word. It is a simple matter of comprehension, which I appreciate there isn't time for when blindly retweeting everything.
    It's not often I support you, but you are right on this. Boris could however have been clearer on the distinction (and perhaps in the interview he went on to be clearer, I've only seen the tweet).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

notme2 said:

Nor is paedophilia.
    As a thought process it isn't - but once you act on those thoughts, it is absolutely illegal

But none of this is relevant

What happened on Saturday was a hate crime. End of.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

notme2 said:

Re port capacity, I don't think that's true. I posted a link to Irish container ports the other day, and none of them were running anywhere near capacity.

I think there are 100 reasons why transshipment won't happen to any great extent, but Irish port capacity isn't one of them.
    The main reason [ for food items ] is the time taken. Through the UK land bridge it takes about 18 hours. The quickest way to reach the same places [ like Calais or Ostend ] will be about 36 hours. Remember, first they have to land in Cherbourg and then take the long route.
    Of course, in the future very large refrigerated ships probably is the answer.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Scott_P said:
    I think I can see a way out for Boris here. Get another extension, but say it's an extension of the process of departure rather the act of staying in. That way Boris can claim he's met his 31 October pledge. It would be audacious, but maybe Boris with all his aplomb and loquacity could pull it off.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's not often I support you, but you are right on this. Boris could however have been clearer on the distinction (and perhaps in the interview he went on to be clearer, I've only seen the tweet).
    Your support is gratefully received, and I agree, it is a subtle distinction, but important nonetheless.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Just back from a cruise in the Baltic including Hamburg, Copenhagen, Visby, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Kiel, and Gothenburg ( and no patriotic boozing.) What was impressive was how well kept were the streets and friendly the locals(even the Russians). We are just about to throw all that under the Boris bus.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The chances of anything coming from Mars is a million to one

but still they come..
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

notme2 said:

They must have some capacity as when I was in Dublin in January they were just finishing off a brand new ferry ready for the Dublin-Rotterdam route.
  • Options
    eek said:

Why do I think £100m spent telling people not to panic is going to have the opposite effect?

BoZo wants to spaff the money on advertising.

meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/1155830122626387969
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The PM does not agree with his government. Who should businesses believe?

The isn't what Gove ... er ... meant.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Did anyone utter those words ? Dan Hannan was talking about EEA, if I remember correctly.
  • Options

It is not a case of not agreeing.

It really is.

The working assumption of Trident is that there will be a nuclear attack from a hostile state. That does not mean the PM assumes that there will be such an attack, which is what he was asked with reference to no deal.

Wrong, on both counts.

The working assumption of Trident is that having it lessens the likelyhood of an attack. The PM agrees with that assumption, or he would cancel it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

notme2 said:

Nor is paedophilia.
    As a thought process it isn't - but once you act on those thoughts, it is absolutely illegal

But none of this is relevant

Not end of. Borderline.
    1) was her behaviour beaming the law irrelevant of who the target was. If it was Nigel Farage standing there and she behaved in a similar way ?
    2) only then can hate be an aggravating factor.

Hate is not a crime. Challenging people who hold different views is not a crime.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Scott_P said:
    I think I can see a way out for Boris here. Get another extension, but say it's an extension of the process of departure rather the act of staying in. That way Boris can claim he's met his 31 October pledge. It would be audacious, but maybe Boris with all his aplomb and loquacity could pull it off.
    No ifs, no buts.

Do or die.

Boris will be eaten alive by Farage and the ERG if he asks for an extension in any shape or form.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_P said:

But still, they come...

It seems totally incredible to me now that everyone spent that summer as
    though it were just like any other.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

But still, they come...

Can't wait to start my new life underground
  • Options
    slade said:

Just back from a cruise in the Baltic including Hamburg, Copenhagen, Visby, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Kiel, and Gothenburg ( and no patriotic boozing.) What was impressive was how well kept were the streets and friendly the locals(even the Russians). We are just about to throw all that under the Boris bus.

Hyperbole at Warp Factor 9.

How will Boris's election alter how clean the streets are in Europe?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Scott_P said:

It is not a case of not agreeing.

It really is.

The working assumption of Trident is that there will be a nuclear attack from a hostile state. That does not mean the PM assumes that there will be such an attack, which is what he was asked with reference to no deal.

Wrong, on both counts.

The working assumption of Trident is that having it lessens the likelyhood of an attack. The PM agrees with that assumption, or he would cancel it.
    Isn't Trident a good example. The working assumption of the submarine commanders is that they could receive an order to fire at any moment, and they must be ready to respond to that order.

Does the PM expect to give that order?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    So the government will embark on a public campaign to tell the public how to mitigate harm said government is deciding to inflict on its own country .

When you think of it this way it really shows the lunacy that’s over taken the country .
  • Options

Does the PM expect to give that order?

He has already given them orders. First thing he did when appointed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

But still, they come...

Excuse me. He said that last week. Not 3 years ago.
  • Options

slade said:

Hyperbole at Warp Factor 9.

How will Boris's election alter how clean the streets are in Europe?
    How it will affect the friendliness in St Petersburg is another head scratcher.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    slade said:

We had members of our Scots family on that cruise

My wife and I did that cruise some years ago. Tallinn is delightful and it was our second visit to St Petersburg but it is an extraordinary city to explore at anytime
  • Options
    I find Gove's comment to be uninformative. The meaning of 'working assumption' is the assumption underlying the work. Where the 'work' is planning for No Deal the working assumption de facto is that there will be No Deal. Since if it were otherwise one would not do the work.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

But still, they come...

Excuse me. He said that last week. Not 3 years ago.
  • Options

You might well be right. But I'm not sure about 'end of'. The police and the courts do have a role in this.
This discussion has been closed.