Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. Where do we go from here and

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. Where do we go from here and what do the public make of it all?

After the most chaotic week in Westminster since the last one, Keiran Pedley and Leo Barasi sit down and discuss how it is all playing out in the court of public opinion and where we go from here.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited September 2019
    First - Bullseye!
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    I wonder if the Government is back-channelling to the French or the Irish or the Croats asking them to block an extension?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    I just wonder.

Aus arguably should really be 3-0 up - ie if they had won at Headingley and win today.

But they are again struggling to make the final step over the line - just wonder if he hold out again today and then win final Test to win Ashes.
  • The never ending Brexit, ah-ee-ah-ee-ah

https://twitter.com/martinboon/status/1170591686378041344
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,724
    There's a huge load of bull in that picture.

And a massive male of the bovine species.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Fishing said:

I wonder if the Government is back-channelling to the French or the Irish or the Croats asking them to block an extension?

Not sure about blocking an extension but it does seem to me the Opposition are coming under some pressure from the EU today to allow a general election so everyone can get clarity.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    GIN1138 said:

Fishing said:

Not sure about blocking an extension but it does seem to me the Opposition are coming under some pressure from the EU today to allow a general election so everyone can get clarity.
    ... because the last one worked like a charm ...
  • GIN1138 said:

Fishing said:

It also puts pressure on Johnson's No Deal bluff. The EU are pointing out that they will not give concessions simply to avoid No Deal.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702
    Bullshitters the pair of them.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    Never work with children, animals or Dominic Cummings.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MikeL said:

I just wonder.

Aus arguably should really be 3-0 up - ie if they had won at Headingley and win today.

But they are again struggling to make the final step over the line - just wonder if he hold out again today and then win final Test to win Ashes.

Could easily have been 3-0 England - 122/8, Rain at Lords...
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited September 2019
    Why is the man doing silly walk in the picture is he a minister?
    Chris said:

animals or Dominic Cummings.

Isn't that a tautology?

GIN1138 said:

Fishing said:

It also puts pressure on Johnson's No Deal bluff. The EU are pointing out that they will not give concessions simply to avoid No Deal.
    The EU economy must be suffering from the dither and uncertainty- best for both sides to get on with it either way. Delay is the worst of the 3 options.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    GIN1138 said:

Fishing said:

You don't really want "clarity" you want to us to fall for Cumming's cunning plan and have a GE before the sh1t hits the fan. No dice I'm afraid, Cummings has been rumbled and nobody trusts Johnson's word on anything. You are going to have to sweat it out till Oct 31st and that's when the game changes.
  • nichomar said:

Bodyguard.
  • TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

Fishing said:

The EU economy must be suffering from the dither and uncertainty- best for both sides to get on with it either way. Delay is the worst of the 3 options.
    In other words it's better for the EU to call Johnson's bluff and start imposing consequences on the UK.
  • TGOHF said:

The practical data point on this is that when the No Deal legislation passed, GBP went up, quite a lot, where as on your theory it should have gone down because the British economy would be suffering from the dither and uncertainty.

TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

Fishing said:

In other words it's better for the EU to call Johnson's bluff and start imposing consequences on the UK.
    And themselves. But there are bad outcomes for another delay too for the EU.

So why would either side delay ?

• nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

Bodyguard.
    John Cleese I think

nichomar said:

Bodyguard.
    Dominic Cummings?

Oh, sorry, thought the 'l' was an 'n'.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

TGOHF said:

The practical data point on this is that when the No Deal legislation passed, GBP went up, quite a lot, where as on your theory it should have gone down because the British economy would be suffering from the dither and uncertainty.
    Modern exchange rates are a combination of a reflection of the value of the currency in the traditional sense and a significant element of currency traders 'positions' to make a profit. Those positions will not be the same as the value ascribed to the currency in a traditional sense.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Forsyth saying he is picking up rumors of another imminent cabinet resignation.......
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,544
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Bodyguard.
    Dominic Cummings?

Oh, sorry, thought the 'l' was an 'n'.
    Took me a minute...
  • Forsyth saying he is picking up rumors of another imminent cabinet resignation.......

Priti Patel resigning because she thinks Johnson is going to sell out the Brexiteers? :wink:

Forsyth saying he is picking up rumors of another imminent cabinet resignation.......

Priti Patel resigning because she thinks Johnson is going to sell out the Brexiteers? :wink:
    Lol! It's probably Nicky Morgan

Is anyone running a book on who will be all out first - the cabinet or the England cricket team?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    ydoethur said:

Is anyone running a book on who will be all out first - the cabinet or the England cricket team?
    You jinxed it again. Butler bowled playing no shot.
  • Forsyth saying he is picking up rumors of another imminent cabinet resignation.......

Hopefully Bozo himself.
    Buttler served that up on a plate.

England to be beaten by 5.30.

Will Hancock do a “Fuck fuck fuck fuck business” manoeuvre?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Telegraph from selling a million now down to 350,000. Not everyone is as big a fan as Chris Evans perhaps?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/commentisfree/2019/sep/08/telegraph-boris-johnson
  • nichomar said:

Looks like a goose-step. Rehearsing for the Tory conference. In Nuremberg.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Lol! It's probably Nicky Morgan
    !,000,000 it's not Matt Hancock. The machinery to get his head out of Johnson's backside hasn't yet been invented
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Not sure it’s going to happen . Those likely seem to have said they’re not resigning and I can’t think of anyone else that would be likely to go.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951

nichomar said:

Looks like a goose-step. Rehearsing for the Tory conference. In Nuremberg.
    Not your best work.....
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2019

This sentence sounds like a scientist picking up signals from machinery, for some reason.

The obscure workings of the cabinet machine may yet surprise us.
    edited September 2019
    nico67 said:

Not sure it’s going to happen . Those likely seem to have said they’re not resigning and I can’t think of anyone else that would be likely to go.
    Has Morgan said anything? I think its her
    Although of course westminster will be rife with rumours today
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2019
    The fata morgana shining in the distance.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

Fishing said:

Or perhaps the Irish political conspiracy of silence is about to break.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

Has Morgan said anything? I think its her
    Although of course westminster will be rife with rumours today
    I thought she said she’s sticking around . If something happens it probably won’t be till much later . I have the popcorn handy just in case !
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

The fata morgana shining in the distance.

Well they're all at sea.
  • MattW said:

TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

Fishing said:

Or perhaps the Irish political conspiracy of silence is about to break.
    The entire political class in Ireland is engaged in a giant bluff?
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Not too impressed with that podcast. Both speakers share the obsession of the commentariat with Brexit and no suggestion at all that other issues will resonate. I continue to believe they are wrong.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    edited September 2019

Police Scotland doing a sterling job of calming nerves in these febrile times.

https://twitter.com/polscotcontrol/status/1170645529686134784?s=20

Speaking as somebody who does actually have a go-bag and uses it every week, they left out the change of underpants, little plastic spork, painkillers and headache pills, sowing kit, laptop/tablet/book, earphones, pen/paper and scissors.

If you get a NorthFace rucksack, a whistle is built into the clasp
    nichomar said:
    DAMMIT YOU GOT THERE BEFORE ME! :)
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Good for him, The Telegraph is rubbish nowadays, only the sports pages are still worth reading.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    philiph said:

TGOHF said:

Modern exchange rates are a combination of a reflection of the value of the currency in the traditional sense and a significant element of currency traders 'positions' to make a profit. Those positions will not be the same as the value ascribed to the currency in a traditional sense.
    Plus why use GBP as a proxy for EUR, when EUR data are presumably available? And if what GBP went up against is actually EUR the argument is in serious trouble.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Late afternoon all :)

Both Delta Poll and now ComRes put the Conservatives back at 31% leaving YouGov and Opinium out there on 35%. A solid ComRes poll for the LDs with the party at 20% which means a 12.5% swing from Conservative to Lib Dem which is pretty significant especially in those places where the LDs are serious challengers.

In Europe, a few interesting poll snippets. In Germany, an Emnid poll has shown the CDU/CSU eight points ahead of the Greens (29-21), their largest advantage for a while. In Austria, Portugal and Poland, the governing parties all enjoy big leads over the opposition and I don't expect any of those elections to produce big changes in the next month or so.

In Italy, Lega has been slightly dented by going into opposition. The PD/M5S governing parties poll around 45% between them but whether that would translate into a majority at a future election remains to be seen.

Finally, in both Spain and the Czech Republic, the governing parties also hold healthy leads over mainly fractured opposition.

As an aside, fascinating to see governments generally polling well right across Europe irrespective of political stripe.
    This will shortly be only the 3rd time this millennium that the visiting side has won the Ashes.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    Ishmael_Z said:

This will shortly be only the 3rd time this millennium that the visiting side has won the Ashes.

They haven't won it yet
    If he is a Remainer opposed to Brexit fair enough. Meanwhile the father of someone I work with, a lifelong working class Labour voter from the North East, will vote Tory for the first time in his life at the next election as he voted Leave and wants Brexit delivered
  • ydoethur said:

Good work - another prediction please...
    viewcode said:

Speaking as somebody who does actually have a go-bag and uses it every week, they left out the change of underpants, little plastic spork, painkillers and headache pills, sowing kit, laptop/tablet/book, earphones, pen/paper and scissors.

Also passport, spare credit card and £100 cash - actually scrap that, €100 cash. And roll of tinfoil and a gold sovereign.
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

They haven't won it yet
    Which is why I used the future tense. No flies on me!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836
    Looking a bit gloomy to me in Manchester. Can the batsmen pick up the ball OK?
    edited September 2019
    stodge said:

Both Delta Poll and now ComRes put the Conservatives back at 31% leaving YouGov and Opinium out there on 35%. A solid ComRes poll for the LDs with the party at 20% which means a 12.5% swing from Conservative to Lib Dem which is pretty significant especially in those places where the LDs are serious challengers.

In Europe, a few interesting poll snippets. In Germany, an Emnid poll has shown the CDU/CSU eight points ahead of the Greens (29-21), their largest advantage for a while. In Austria, Portugal and Poland, the governing parties all enjoy big leads over the opposition and I don't expect any of those elections to produce big changes in the next month or so.

In Italy, Lega has been slightly dented by going into opposition. The PD/M5S governing parties poll around 45% between them but whether that would translate into a majority at a future election remains to be seen.

Finally, in both Spain and the Czech Republic, the governing parties also hold healthy leads over mainly fractured opposition.

As an aside, fascinating to see governments generally polling well right across Europe irrespective of political stripe.

Latest Italian seat projections still give a landslide for the right

Salvini's Right block 410, Centre-left 120, M5S 92

https://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2019/08/26/sondaggi-la-lega-ha-perso-4-punti-dal-giorno-della-crisi-aperta-da-salvini-il-m5s-in-ripresa-ma-il-centrodestra-unito-avrebbe-410-deputati/5410113/
  • Ishmael_Z said:

Ah, that old trick of using the word "millennium" to make something fairly uninteresting sound amazing.

This is the 11th Ashes series this millennium, so basically the more likely result of the home side winning has happened eight times and the less likely one of the away side winning looks likely to be happening for a third time. Which is about what you might expect.

Ishmael_Z said:

Ah, that old trick of using the word "millennium" to make something fairly uninteresting sound amazing.

This is the 11th Ashes series this millennium, so basically the more likely result of the home side winning has happened eight times and the less likely one of the away side winning looks likely to be happening for a third time. Which is about what you might expect.
    It's because I am not sure how you spell sentury.
    HYUFD said:
    The latest poll has Lega down to 30% with M5S on 24% and PD on 24%. Hard to see a Salvini landslide from that.

In Canada, meanwhile, the latest poll has the Conservatives and Liberals tied nationally at 34% and also deadlocked in the key province of Ontario:

https://www.campaignresearch.ca/single-post/Tied-Overall-Tied-in-Ontario

The Ontario numbers contrast wildly with an EKOS poll also from last week which gives the Liberals an 11 point lead so not sure what's going on.

viewcode said:

nichomar said:
    DAMMIT YOU GOT THERE BEFORE ME! :)
    To paraphrase Chandler, Boris is a blond to make a vicar kick a hole in the Overton window....
    Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Also passport, spare credit card and £100 cash - actually scrap that, €100 cash. And roll of tinfoil and a gold sovereign.
    Indeed.
    viewcode said:

You’re planning for real disaster if you need a sowing kit - planting your own crops is a pretty long term scenario.

• HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Latest Italian seat projections still give a landslide for the right

Salvini's Right block 410, Centre-left 120, M5S 92

https://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2019/08/26/sondaggi-la-lega-ha-perso-4-punti-dal-giorno-della-crisi-aperta-da-salvini-il-m5s-in-ripresa-ma-il-centrodestra-unito-avrebbe-410-deputati/5410113/
    All looks superb for Salvini... except that he gambled on triggering an early election and lost, is no longer in power, potentially has to wait until 2023 before fresh elections, and has mounting legal trouble. Classic Salv.
    edited September 2019
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:
    The latest poll has Lega down to 30% with M5S on 24% and PD on 24%. Hard to see a Salvini landslide from that.

In Canada, meanwhile, the latest poll has the Conservatives and Liberals tied nationally at 34% and also deadlocked in the key province of Ontario:

https://www.campaignresearch.ca/single-post/Tied-Overall-Tied-in-Ontario

The Ontario numbers contrast wildly with an EKOS poll also from last week which gives the Liberals an 11 point lead so not sure what's going on.

No, the coalition numbers I provided were based on single party figures of Lega 33%, PD 23%, M5S 19% so not that much different really other than a bit of movement from Lega to M5S, so a Salvini win for the right remains likely. Remember too Forza Italia and Brothers of Italy are both polling about 7% each and both will ally with Salvini.

In Canada it looks likely Trudeau will lose his majority but as you say he is still tied with the Tories for largest party and still narrowly leads as preferred PM
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Sensible move - the hypothetical polls have been removed from the Wiki polling listing.
  • glw said:

Good for him, The Telegraph is rubbish nowadays, only the sports pages are still worth reading.
    My Telegraph subscription has not long to run and I'm struggling for reasons to renew. Plato used to link there a lot, which is why I signed up in the first place (although I soon came to doubt she ever read half the stuff she linked to, and possibly none at all by the end) but its relentless, one-note, wall-to-wall Boris and Brexit coverage is wearing and not even especially insightful.

ydoethur said:

There is no way Leach and Overton can survive 15 overs, and once one of them is out, Broad won't last 15 balls, maybe not even 15 seconds, against Starc.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 582
    edited September 2019

glw said:

My Telegraph subscription has not long to run and I'm struggling for reasons to renew. Plato used to link there a lot, which is why I signed up in the first place (although I soon came to doubt she ever read half the stuff she linked to, and possibly none at all by the end) but its relentless, one-note, wall-to-wall Boris and Brexit coverage is wearing and not even especially insightful.
    I only get it for the Matt cartoon (and the Saturday cryptic crossword). When Matt goes, my subscription is cancelled.
    HYUFD said:

In Canada it looks likely Trudeau will lose his majority but as you say he is still tied with the Tories for largest party and still narrowly leads as preferred PM

Do you think Trudeau could do a deal with either the Greens or the NDP who are both polling at 12% nationally?

• Re: next cabinet exit. If I was going to put money on it, Nicky Morgan feels like the one.

She last tweeted (on local matters) last night about the time Rudd quit. She was in the same group as Rudd who kicked off about the 21 expulsions, and was a similarly odd choice for the BJ cabinet.

I guess Julian Smith is another possible.

I reckon Mancock thinks all his Christmases have come at once by keeping his job so far. Having tweeted his loyalty today and been a bit more obvious than Rudd & Morgan in showing his love for BJ, I’d say he’s hanging around for now. That said, he’ll probably calculate at some point that doing so does his future chances more harm than good if Bozza starts breaking laws etc.

Anyone else (I’m assuming Shapps is in the same “all my christmases” boat?)
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Do you think Trudeau could do a deal with either the Greens or the NDP who are both polling at 12% nationally?

I expect some of the Green and NDP vote will go to the Liberals by polling day, I doubt there will be an official deal
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There is no way Leach and Overton can survive 15 overs, and once one of them is out, Broad won't last 15 balls, maybe not even 15 seconds, against Starc.
    If you get that wrong, you will be a hero......
  • Re: next cabinet exit. If I was going to put money on it, Nicky Morgan feels like the one.

She last tweeted (on local matters) last night about the time Rudd quit. She was in the same group as Rudd who kicked off about the 21 expulsions, and was a similarly odd choice for the BJ cabinet.

I reckon Mancock thinks all his Christmases have come at once by keeping his job so far. Having tweeted his loyalty today and been a bit more obvious than Rudd & Morgan in showing his love for BJ, I’d say he’s hanging around for now. That said, he’ll probably calculate at some point that doing so does his future chances more harm than good if Bozza starts breaking laws etc.

Is there anyone in British politics who has abased themselves more abjectly than Matt Hancock?

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Unfortunately it looks as though I haven't.

Re: next cabinet exit. If I was going to put money on it, Nicky Morgan feels like the one.

Is there anyone in British politics who has abased themselves more abjectly than Matt Hancock?
    Tom Watson?
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Unfortunately it looks as though I haven't.
    You're rubbish at this, you......
    Well done Australia for retaining the Ashes.

However England can console themselves that they still won the World Cup this summer for the first time
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Boris loses the Ashes ... :rage:
  • SandraMc said:

glw said:

I only get it for the Matt cartoon (and the Saturday cryptic crossword). When Matt goes, my subscription is cancelled.
    That will be why Matt is reputed to be on north of £600,000. The plug for his new collection includes this snippet from referendum day, shortly before the polls closed: a member of David Cameron’s No 10 team texted the editor to say that Remain had won easily. ‘It’s Remain 55, Leave 45,’ he declared confidently.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/matts-20-favourite-brexit-cartoons-did-worry-mean-theresa-may/
    edited September 2019
    'Labour's chairman is backing a campaign to abolish all private schools, with party delegates set to consider the policy at their annual conference this month.
    Ian Lavery has thrown his weight behind the Labour Against Private Schools movement which wants all fee-paying schools brought into the state sector.
    'The on-going existence of private schools is incompatible with Labour’s pledge to promote social justice, not social mobility in education,' the motion says.
    'Private schools reflect and reinforce class inequality in wider society.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7440711/Labour-chairman-plans-abolish-fee-paying-schools-tackle-elitism.html
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I expect some of the Green and NDP vote will go to the Liberals by polling day, I doubt there will be an official deal
    The significance of Ontario makes the disparity in polling unhelpful. An 11 point Liberal lead would suggest Trudeau holding most of the 80 seats won last time and perhaps picking up one or two more (Liberals won Ontario by 10 points last time) but if the Conservatives are level that would suggest 25 losses for the Liberals which would slash Trudeau's majority. The other question for me is whether we will see a Conservative comeback in Quebec.
    So that is summer officially over 😡

But they are a better team TBF
    edited September 2019
    JackW said:

Boris loses the Ashes ... :rage:

So did Thatcher and Blair several times
    Well, that must mean No Deal Brexit will be a breeze, as all the dire predictions require no action.....
    I think Ed Smith now has two options.

He can resign tonight or resign tomorrow morning.
  • HYUFD said:

'Labour's chairman is backing a campaign to abolish all private schools, with party delegates set to consider the policy at their annual conference this month.
    Ian Lavery has thrown his weight behind the Labour Against Private Schools movement which wants all fee-paying schools brought into the state sector.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7440711/Labour-chairman-plans-abolish-fee-paying-schools-tackle-elitism.html

Their class obsession will cost taxpayers billions, overload state schools creating huge class sizes, transfer enormous salary and pensions costs on to the exchequer, require massive building costs, and is idiotic

Ghastly man. Surprised his wife stays with him.
    Major, May and Johnson are the 3 PMs since 1970 to not have an ashes win in their premiership
  • NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    This is all a ploy by Cummings to win the ashes.
    Can't believe Australia have walked straight into his trap, the idiots.
This discussion has been closed.