Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the General Election betting a CON majority drops from a 40

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915

Leader approval ratings (net) among own voters:
    Current VI / 2017 Vote:
    Johnson: +83 / +50
    Corbyn: +53 / -6
    Swinson: +72 / +41

ABC1/C2DE Total GB
    Johnson: -25 / -4
    Corbyn: -48 / -52
    Swinson -7 / -18 (high DK)

Remain/Leave Total GB
    Johnson: -75 / + 46
    Corbyn: -24 / -83
    Swinson: +29 / -50 (31%DK)

Men/Women Total GB
    Johnson: -11 / -19
    Corbyn: -51 / -48
    Swinson: -15 / -8(49% DK among women)

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/u28pz0ddto/YouGov - Favourability 190917.pdf

Am I reading this right? Boris is the most popular among C2DE?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

The Lib Dems are starting to look like the real deal. They remind Labour voters what Labour used to look like in the good old days of Blair and they remind Tory voters what they looked like when they were civilised. Could be a real break through if they can buy some time and get the celebs on board.

"the good old days of Blair"

err didnt you used to go on demos saying the man was a Tory bastard ?
    Mistaken identity. My favourite PM by a distance. Had it not been for Iraq (which I demonstrated against-maybe this is what you're referring to?) he would have gone down as one of our greatest PMs ever.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    FOM between countries of similar wealth and appeal for both sides isn’t a problem. British people would like to live in Australia, the same can’t generally be said for Eastern Europe
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/u28pz0ddto/YouGov - Favourability 190917.pdf

Looks good for Swinson. When I did my one and only PPB for Paddy Ashdown Jeremy Bullmore who wrote the script told me that though the tite was 'Maggie's Broken Britain' that was very secondary to getting Paddy's name known to the public. So don't be surprised if this upcoming campaign plays heavily on the leader and her name. Looking at the numbers of 'don't knows' it would make sense.
    I went to a reception in Whitehall last night, launching a festival of Korean music. You’d expect it to be Remainer central... and it was.

I got into a vigorous but agreeable debate with a nice Lib Dem. A music mogul. We talked about Swinson’s Revoke policy and he gamely tried to defend it, at first, but eventually he admitted it was pretty shocking, however he said it was still tolerable ‘because we will never get a majority’. A line I have seen used on here.

If a party’s flagship policy is being sold this way - ‘yes it’s terrible but don’t worry we will never win, so it will never be enacted’ - then I suggest the policy is a problem. Not an asset.
    Anecdotes like this are hardly a guide to to public opinion.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

Looks good for Swinson. When I did my one and only PPB for Paddy Ashdown Jeremy Bullmore who wrote the script told me that though the tite was 'Maggie's Broken Britain' that was very secondary to getting Paddy's name known to the public. So don't be surprised if this upcoming campaign plays heavily on the leader and her name. Looking at the numbers of 'don't knows' it would make sense.
    I went to a reception in Whitehall last night, launching a festival of Korean music. You’d expect it to be Remainer central... and it was.

I got into a vigorous but agreeable debate with a nice Lib Dem. A music mogul. We talked about Swinson’s Revoke policy and he gamely tried to defend it, at first, but eventually he admitted it was pretty shocking, however he said it was still tolerable ‘because we will never get a majority’. A line I have seen used on here.

If a party’s flagship policy is being sold this way - ‘yes it’s terrible but don’t worry we will never win, so it will never be enacted’ - then I suggest the policy is a problem. Not an asset.
    Good point . I’m a staunch Remainer and think it’s undemocratic. The Lib Dems never needed to do this . The public know they already want to stop Brexit, the Lib Dems could have just said you can’t trust Corbyn on Brexit and made that their message .

Perhaps I’m wrong , we’ll see when new polling comes out.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

Finally, another fan of @HYUFD 🙌🏻
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    nico67 said:

Problem for Labour . If some of their MPs vote a deal through then Johnson will get a huge boost in an election .

The BP can scream it’s not a proper Brexit but I suspect the palpable relief amongst many people will outweigh that .

On the face of it if you take Brexit out of the equation Johnson’s policies in terms of spending are hardly going to do him harm .

I think it’s pretty clear if Labour are to have any chance of at least getting a minority government they need Brexit to be delayed .

A pact between the Tories and BP will mean it will be a no deal offer to the public, which I think will hurt the Tories .

If the Tories run on a deal or no deal then the BP will cause them trouble .

If Labour MPs push through Johnson's "deal" they should not just be deselected but excommunicated. That will be a bridge too far...
  • Options
    isam said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

Maybe if they don’t ask about Farage, he will just go away
    You mean man who has failed seven times to become an MP and leads a party with ZERO MPs
  • Options
    edited September 2019

isam said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

Maybe if they don’t ask about Farage, he will just go away
    You mean man who has failed seven times to become an MP and leads a party with ZERO MPs
    I’m not a mean man, I don’t lead a party and have never run to be an MP!

If you think that criteria means it’s not worth finding out what the public think of Farage, I’d say you were wrong

• Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Lab would have to make clear their position on freedom of movement at an early stage in all this "permanent SM membership" and I'm not sure that would be an election-winning approach.

That is the big one.

Soft Brexit means FoM stays but I think that harsh (to many) truth will be finessed in a GE campaign.
    I predict that those wanting a Norway (etc) deal - or EU re-entry post Brexit - will at some point move in the direction of all the FoM brakes that we keep being told we could have had since the start. Stuff like changing the benefit system to "keep out the scroungers" etc. And whether or not it'll make much difference, that'll probably be enough for a fair chunk of the "just get on with it" crowd.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    TGOHF said:
    I said ages ago that Labour was morphing into a mixture of Respect and the SWP.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

Polly Toynbee has come out fiercely against Swinson’s Revoke, and claims it will benefit Labour (as the ‘sensible’ Remain party).

She’s right. The Lib Dems had an historic chance to seize Guardian-reading Remainerdom from Labour, probably forever. But they’ve blown it. A remarkable and entirely unforced error.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/1174244519660916738<"freedom of movement to be part of UK-Australia trade talks!"/blockquote>

So Truss - and presumably therefore Johnson - don't believe in points-based immigration. And presumably she's saying Australia's conceding that freedom of movement's preferable.

Yet for years they've been telling us the current Australian system will sort out all our migration problems?

More lies from Johnson? Or just another example of Johnsonian inability to think?

• Options
    Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

Did he like your dress?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

With a capital IF,
    If Boris gets a deal that the DUP can support and that gives a smooth transition, with a political declaration that can be amended by whoever wins the next election, isn’t it going to be a bit tricky for the Labour holdouts to continue voting against Brexit?

Might the markets have got this completely wrong and we’re actually only weeks away from an MV4 sailing through the commons?

A good chance for the less extreme of the Tory 21 to vote in favour and get the whip back too.

It's gone beyond that. The package is now not just a deal but a deal with Johnson Rasputin and their Cabinet. That is pretty indigestible which is why Swinson's seemingly undemocratic pledge is going down so well. Remainers don't want Johnson and co at any price.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,710
    alex. said:

Just a technical point re: discussions on Help to buy.

It is ONLY available on new build properties. So is a sort of subsidy to Housebuilders but not to sellers of existing properties.

Arguably this should increase development/supply and therefore contribute to lower prices overall?

I think it's the case that if you subsidise buyers, the price increases (because your moving the demand curve to the right?) But if you subsidise the builders, that will decrease prices (by moving the supply curve to the right?) . I'm in the coffee Queue so I'm doing this in my head, so apols if wrong.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    By some estimates there are as many Brits living in Australia alone as there are in all of the EU......I’m sure freedom of movement to Australia would not be unpopular (in the U.K. anyway.....Australia might be a different matter...).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    All together now. The wealthy Leavers were perfectly fine with working-class people being crowded out by immigration. They just wanted it to be immigrants from different countries.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

On the latest Yougov the Tories have a lead of 9% over Labour suggesting a swing of 3.5% from 2017 to the Tories and 31 Tory gains from Labour.

Based on say 10 losses to the SNP the Tories only need to keep losses to the LDs to 13 or lower to gain the 8 seats net they need to get to 326 seats and an overall majority

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative

I just looked up the Conservative-held Lib Dem target seats on that very site. Number 13, the tipping point by your maths, is Brecon & Radnorshire. There's no way the Lib Dems will take that off the Conservatives. Boris is safe.

...oh.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

alex. said:

It is ONLY available on new build properties. So is a sort of subsidy to Housebuilders but not to sellers of existing properties.

Arguably this should increase development/supply and therefore contribute to lower prices overall?

I think it's the case that if you subsidise buyers, the price increases (because your moving the demand curve to the right?) But if you subsidise the builders, that will decrease prices (by moving the supply curve to the right?) . I'm in the coffee Queue so I'm doing this in my head, so apols if wrong.

Scott_P said:
    By some estimates there are as many Brits living in Australia alone as there are in all of the EU......I’m sure freedom of movement to Australia would not be unpopular (in the U.K. anyway.....Australia might be a different matter...).
    HMG should go the whole hog and unite the UK, Australia, Canada, and NZ as one confederation. What a mighty and splendid nation that would be. Biggest in the world, ruled from the greatest city in the world.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

That's certainly a view. But I was intrigued by one rationale I saw the other day. Common wisdom here on PB and elsewhere is that the Revoke policy is to distinguish the Lib Dems from Labour at the next election. But this argument suggests it's to distinguish the Lib Dems from the Conservatives in the future:

"Swinson doesn't plan on winning the next election - this is purely optics so that, years from now, the LibDems will be remembered as the ones who tried to prevent the inevitable economic crash which followed. Combined with right-wing economic policy freed from the shackles of religious zealotry, this has a good chance of making the LibDems the new defacto replacement for the dying Tory party. It's not exactly 4D chess, but it's a longer game than the one Boris is playing."
  • Options

HYUFD said:

On the latest Yougov the Tories have a lead of 9% over Labour suggesting a swing of 3.5% from 2017 to the Tories and 31 Tory gains from Labour.

Based on say 10 losses to the SNP the Tories only need to keep losses to the LDs to 13 or lower to gain the 8 seats net they need to get to 326 seats and an overall majority

I just looked up the Conservative-held Lib Dem target seats on that very site. Number 13, the tipping point by your maths, is Brecon & Radnorshire. There's no way the Lib Dems will take that off the Conservatives. Boris is safe.

...oh.
    I think they did so on August 1st in the by-election
  • Options

HYUFD said:

...oh.
    Indeed. :)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

That's certainly a view. But I was intrigued by one rationale I saw the other day. Common wisdom here on PB and elsewhere is that the Revoke policy is to distinguish the Lib Dems from Labour at the next election. But this argument suggests it's to distinguish the Lib Dems from the Conservatives in the future:

"Swinson doesn't plan on winning the next election - this is purely optics so that, years from now, the LibDems will be remembered as the ones who tried to prevent the inevitable economic crash which followed. Combined with right-wing economic policy freed from the shackles of religious zealotry, this has a good chance of making the LibDems the new defacto replacement for the dying Tory party. It's not exactly 4D chess, but it's a longer game than the one Boris is playing."
    so are the LDs replacing Labour or the Tories ?

I cant see revoke being a big vote winner for them on the political Right.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Byronic said:

Nice to see Corbyn proving he is unelectable..Given all problems Geeece has had to deal with it seens remarkably quiet bar a lot more graffiti than i recall from past visits.

It means that Greece has settled down after its nightmare or seems to have done so.. meanwhile reading Dan Hodges tweet and looking at leader ratings. Corbyn is just unelectsble.
    Where are you in Greece? The islands? Most of the islands (those unaffected by refugees) are doing OK, because tourism.

This is not the case everywhere. I recently did an epic, 3 week road trip around the mainland. From Thessaloniki to Zagoriou, down to Preveza, Missolonghi and Corinth. Then far into the Peloponnese. It was Deep Greece. Profound Greece.

The economic suffering is intense. These are the parts of Greece that still have 25% unemployment. I’ve traveled all over the world and I’ve never seen such obvious hardship and trauma outside of war zones. Which makes sense, as Greece’s economy has contracted by 40%. The kind of crash you only see in a war.

The pretty little lakeside city of Yanina, in Epirus, was especially striking. Entire neighbourhoods where every single business has been shuttered. And now they are left to rot.
    Was that for a GQ photoshoot?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    If it involved freedom of movemen TO Australia, I would strongly support it. But I suspect it will involve freedom of movement FROM Australia, hence my rather hysterical and totally unsurprised horse laughter... :(
  • Options
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    HMG should go the whole hog and unite the UK, Australia, Canada, and NZ as one confederation. What a mighty and splendid nation that would be. Biggest in the world, ruled from the greatest city in the world.
    Sydney? :smiley:
  • Options

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

That’s such a ridiculous take, it’s reminded me I have better things to do than faff about on here, reading nonsense. So, thankyou.

Coffee and work. Anon.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    Verhofsatdt likes empires. Perhaps they could join.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    All together now. The wealthy Leavers were perfectly fine with working-class people being crowded out by immigration. They just wanted it to be immigrants from different countries.
    FOM would surely be a better policy if there were more or less equal numbers from each country who wanted to live in the other?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

...oh.
    The Tories probably won't let a convict run next time.

Thanks Theresa. Thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408

This may be a pattern where the revoke pledge plays well with inner city ultra remain voters and badly with swing shire voters which leads to LDs doing better against Labour than tories and actually leading to more Con seats in the process..

My Cotswold Tory neighbours are mostly split between those so angry with Johnson's destruction of real Conservatism they'd now vote for an LD come what may and those even happier to vote for an LD promoting Revoke. We may have peculiarly inner city-like neighbours. But a fixation with avoiding barriers with our major trading partners isn't about living in Islington: it's about having a real stake in multinational businesses and organisations.
    Which is the basis of the entire economy in my part of the Cotswolds - and why our Tories are far more committed to remain than our socialists.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

That’s such a ridiculous take, it’s reminded me I have better things to do than faff about on here, reading nonsense. So, thankyou.

Coffee and work. Anon.
    Frit.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    If it involved freedom of movemen TO Australia, I would strongly support it. But I suspect it will involve freedom of movement FROM Australia, hence my rather hysterical and totally unsurprised horse laughter... :(
    I doubt swapping freedom of movement with a population of 446 million with one one twentieth of its size would be too controversial
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

Scott_P said:

LOL earlier this week you were ridiculing BoJo for having plans but not letting anyone keep a copy.

as I said consistently inconsistent,

It's entirely consistent.

Why do you think they won't show anyone the secret plans?

Because they contain no credible alternative...

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1174225759076048896
    given you havent seen anything that has been put forward and arent taking part in the conversations Ill leave you to reflect on state of your insider knowledge
    Have to say Alan, given the track record of these donkeys, they will be thinking if they just move a few commas around , due to their importance the EU will just change positions. The Emperor really has no clothes and is surrounded by balloons of his own ilk.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    They are as thick as they make out they are.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    The Extended Economic Commonwealth.

You could call it the EEC.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

HYUFD said:

...oh.
    whoosh
  • Options
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sunil060902/sandbox
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

Polly Toynbee has come out fiercely against Swinson’s Revoke, and claims it will benefit Labour (as the ‘sensible’ Remain party).

She’s right. The Lib Dems had an historic chance to seize Guardian-reading Remainerdom from Labour, probably forever. But they’ve blown it. A remarkable and entirely unforced error.
    A sensible Remain Party isn't led by Corbyn who is 1. Almost certainly a Leaver 2. Went AWOL during the Referendum campaign 3. Can only be called a Remainer because he wants to take us back to 1970
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Foxy said:

Osbornes wheezes are total crap it changes nothing much on the supply side. Building more houses would, its basic demand and supply.

There are 24 million dwellings in the UK, whether we build an addional 0.5 million or 1 million over the next 5 years doesnt actually make that much difference to the level of supply, although its obviously helpful to do more. The bigger short term drivers are interest rates, govt subsidies and the widely assumed perception that the govt will always bail out homeowners, and therefore prices cannot fall.
    Yes, current building is 1% of housing stock, so not an obvious short term answer to supply issues.

Demographic changes are also making a difference, with single occuparion, and under occupation of family homes, as well as the rise of multiple home ownership all soaking up increased supply.
    If a house lasts 100 years on average, building at 1% of the extant housing supply is bare replacement.
    If the population is increasing (which it is, at approximately 0.6% per year) and household sizes have been decreasing (which they have), this leads to automatic increased supply pressure.

Therefore the break-even rate is c. 1.6% of existing house supply. If we build at the rate of replacement plus household increase, pressure stabilises (at today's existing high pressure). If below, it increases further; if above, it starts to decrease.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

...oh.
    The Liberals may have a habit of doing well in by-elections, but the Conservatives also have a habit at GEs of winning back seats they lost to them. Add in the very narrow margin of the win, the scandal surrounding the Conservative candidate and the questionmark over a future Remain pact. You should not assume that the Liberals will hang on. They may get 13 net gains but it won't be a walk in the park.

On the question of a Remain pact, do you think that Plaid will still stand down in Brecon when the Liberals run a candidate against them in marginal Ceredigion? I don't. And here are Caroline Lucas's scathing comments about the Liberals new undemocratic "Revoke" policy, in the midst of which she bemoans the lack of a commitment from other parties to reciprocal arrangements with the Greens:

"Asked whether it made it harder to form a Remain election pact with the Lib Dems - which would see the parties agree not to compete for particular seats - she demanded a greater commitment from her closest political rivals. Ms Lucas told Brand the Lib Dems and Labour both needed to show a genuine intent "to help some Green Party voices to get into Parliament" after she felt let down by her party's sacrifices in the 2017 election."

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-09-17/caroline-lucas-acting-prime-minister-the-green-party-election/
  • Options
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    Never go full Dan Hannan.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

You're right. It certainly is not confusing. It is idiotic.

1) The EU won't need to give diddly squat to the Labour negotiators. Why would they as the latter would ask for something particularly unpalatable to the EU and the EU guys would wink at them and say, for the record, "reluctantly no".

2) How happy would you be as a Labour Leave voter to know that your team is going in to bat but wants to obliterate their stumps as soon as they take up position at the crease?

3) How happy would you be as a Labour Remain voter to know that your party is cocking around with the whole thing? If they want to remain then just say they want to remain.

1. The Deal will be the WA plus the PD amended for permanent CU and SM membership. Norway plus. The EU will be happy with that. We already know this. And they will be happy with the Ref formulation too. Either outcome, Remain or a very soft Brexit, works for them...
    That's not how I understand what's been said.

A permanent CU, perhaps ('a', not 'the', of course), but the Single Market proposal wasn't membership , but something vague about being as closely aligned as possible.

And, of course, no clarity on FoM.

So not wildly different from May's deal, and obviously to be agreed.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I doubt swapping freedom of movement with a population of 446 million with one one twentieth of its size would be too controversial
    Do it for one do it for all India Pakistan, China shouldn’t be a problem Russia?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,433

HYUFD said:

...oh.
    Tories will win it back, no bother. Only a 1400 majority with 3300 votes going to the Brexit Party. I was surprised at the time at the closeness of the result given the circumstances.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

As long as it splits the Remain vote enough to allow Con to win who cares! :D
  • Options
    OT, if the odds of an outright Conservative majority were 40% including the 21 wrecker Remainers such as Hammond and Stewart, and 29% without them, then the chances of Johnson of securing a working parliamentary majority after the GE with other parties to take us out of the EU seem higher under the latter scenario than the former.

Allowing for the DUP and the possibility (or not) of some Brexit Party MPs, that 29% translates into a higher figure.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Nice to see Corbyn proving he is unelectable..Given all problems Geeece has had to deal with it seens remarkably quiet bar a lot more graffiti than i recall from past visits.

It means that Greece has settled down after its nightmare or seems to have done so.. meanwhile reading Dan Hodges tweet and looking at leader ratings. Corbyn is just unelectsble.
    Where are you in Greece? The islands? Most of the islands (those unaffected by refugees) are doing OK, because tourism.

This is not the case everywhere. I recently did an epic, 3 week road trip around the mainland. From Thessaloniki to Zagoriou, down to Preveza, Missolonghi and Corinth. Then far into the Peloponnese. It was Deep Greece. Profound Greece.

The economic suffering is intense. These are the parts of Greece that still have 25% unemployment. I’ve traveled all over the world and I’ve never seen such obvious hardship and trauma outside of war zones. Which makes sense, as Greece’s economy has contracted by 40%. The kind of crash you only see in a war.

The pretty little lakeside city of Yanina, in Epirus, was especially striking. Entire neighbourhoods where every single business has been shuttered. And now they are left to rot.
    It's heartening that an alcoholic fiftysomething can find highly paid international work as a model.
  • Options
    Flanner said:

This may be a pattern where the revoke pledge plays well with inner city ultra remain voters and badly with swing shire voters which leads to LDs doing better against Labour than tories and actually leading to more Con seats in the process..

My Cotswold Tory neighbours are mostly split between those so angry with Johnson's destruction of real Conservatism they'd now vote for an LD come what may and those even happier to vote for an LD promoting Revoke. We may have peculiarly inner city-like neighbours. But a fixation with avoiding barriers with our major trading partners isn't about living in Islington: it's about having a real stake in multinational businesses and organisations.
    Which is the basis of the entire economy in my part of the Cotswolds - and why our Tories are far more committed to remain than our socialists.
    Same dynamic in the Guildford / Woking area as well. Think Surrey might see some surprises next time - especially as, historically, a hat stand could have been elected with a blue rosette in most cases. No deal will really test / push this dynamic further, whilst a deal probably resolves it.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited September 2019
    Roger said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

A sensible Remain Party isn't led by Corbyn who is 1. Almost certainly a Leaver 2. Went AWOL during the Referendum campaign 3. Can only be called a Remainer because he wants to take us back to 1970
    Yes but at least he is giving people a choice in a referendum remain v a deal.
    Unlike straight revoke which would be undemocratic.
    Also Swinson would never accept the same for the SNP if they won a Scottish election with a majority then declared Independence.
    She is a hypocrite of the first order.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    Given HMG is struggling to hold together the UK, that seems a bit... fanciful.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,599
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

I am not sure about that. The more significant consequence I think is that it could alienate some Remainer Conservatives who are torn between doing the decent thing and honouring the 2016 vote and putting it to another referendum vote. They wouldn't vote for Corbyn with a bargepole, but now they may not vote for the Libs either.

PS. A reminder. Libs not Lib Dems.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    Do it for one do it for all India Pakistan, China shouldn’t be a problem Russia?
    Why?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

It's heartening that an alcoholic fiftysomething can find highly paid international work as a model.
    That would give hope to many of us.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    Can we swap Aus for Scotland? When does the transfer window open?
  • Options

nichomar said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    Why?
    Other countries would try it on if it was seen to be achievable.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    This would be only the use of a no-deal Brexit - to finally cure imperial delusions, as other nations have had to go through.
  • Options
    Inflation down to lowest level since 2016. :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49738869
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Nothing like a bit of class war on a wednesday...

https://twitter.com/AbolishEton/status/1174218833248305153
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    GIN1138 said:

2% target ! 2.1 -> 1.7 looks perfect to me
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    With whom might we conduct such a transaction ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

2% target ! 2.1 -> 1.7 looks perfect to me
    Yep. And wage growth continuing to improve as well.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There are an infinite number of things which 'don't need to exist', but which free societies don't feel it necessary to ban.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326

That's a really good point Nick and anecdotally I know a few people where the revoke pledge hasn't played too well and they are all classic targets for LD tactical voting..

Interestingly my brother is the one person I know it has won round.. He is now committed to voting LD when he has traditionally been a Labour supporter... Key thing here is he lives in Kensington so his vote shift is likely to elect a Tory.. This may be a pattern where the revoke pledge plays well with inner city ultra remain voters and badly with swing shire voters which leads to LDs doing better against Labour than tories and actually leading to more Con seats in the process..

Just my thoughts though

Yes, that's my concern from the non-Tory position - I think the Swinson strategy will help the LibDems in vote share but help the Tories by making anti-Tory tactical voting more difficult.

I'm encouraged, though, that Corbyn has come out fighting for the "Vote Labour for a final choice" policy. One can have popular policies, unpopular policies, and policies that one apologetically mentions and doesn't campaign for. The last is the worst by a large margin.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    Illuminati? Lizard People? You know, the People Who Really Run Things.....
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    Illuminati? Lizard People? You know, the People Who Really Run Things.....
    I see where you're coming from.
  • Options

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    This would be only the use of a no-deal Brexit - to finally cure imperial delusions, as other nations have had to go through.
    Yes, I think the nearest comparator in the modern era to the Brexit crisis is the French crisis over Algeria in 1958-60.
  • Options

That's a really good point Nick and anecdotally I know a few people where the revoke pledge hasn't played too well and they are all classic targets for LD tactical voting..

Interestingly my brother is the one person I know it has won round.. He is now committed to voting LD when he has traditionally been a Labour supporter... Key thing here is he lives in Kensington so his vote shift is likely to elect a Tory.. This may be a pattern where the revoke pledge plays well with inner city ultra remain voters and badly with swing shire voters which leads to LDs doing better against Labour than tories and actually leading to more Con seats in the process..

Just my thoughts though

Yes, that's my concern from the non-Tory position - I think the Swinson strategy will help the LibDems in vote share but help the Tories by making anti-Tory tactical voting more difficult.

I'm encouraged, though, that Corbyn has come out fighting for the "Vote Labour for a final choice" policy. One can have popular policies, unpopular policies, and policies that one apologetically mentions and doesn't campaign for. The last is the worst by a large margin.
    You mean of the type that La Thornberry embodies?
  • Options
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Parts of central Athens are starting to recover too, but not the outskirts. North-western outskirts of the city, and northwestern parts of the country where you went too, are still in a bad state.

This includes parts of Piraeus. In August while I was there, there was exactly the same, sadly friendly homeless man, with his dog, music, and palliness with the coastguard , at the same departing kiosk for the boats, at the same time of day, as last year ; Homeless non-immigrants where unheard of ten years ago in the country. The country is starting to recover, but the signs are still there.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Another piece of Osborne's Project Fear goes down in flames....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/22/brexit-would-cause-diy-recession-says-george-osborne
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Just my thoughts though

'Vote Labour for a final choice' is a good line if it wasn't that Corbyn is known to be a Leaver. Why would anyone wanting to either Remain or get as close as possible vote Labour on that basis? It is the original pig in a poke.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Just my thoughts though

Corbyn is really not very good at communicating this policy. He struggles when he's away from his home turf.
  • Options

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes, I think the nearest comparator in the modern era to the Brexit crisis is the French crisis over Algeria in 1958-60.
    How? It is not though the Army is about to launch a coup or there is significant bloodshed.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

GIN1138 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/22/brexit-would-cause-diy-recession-says-george-osborne
    Brexit hasn't happened.
  • Options
    Why is it so tough to find the actual Israeli election results as they currently are rather than 100s of opinion pieces and hot takes ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

<

Kill Brexit Without a Referendum is a masterstroke.

There were those on here who chided the LibDems over Bollox to Brexit, but it turned out to be a brilliant PR coup.

A lot of people would like clarity on Brexit. Referendums aren't particularly democratic because a) they present untested choices which in this case was simplistic, binary and pre-emptive and b) there's little or no recourse so if people change their minds with changing circumstances, they're stuffed.

I hope it's the last time a referendum is ever held in England and Wales.

General Elections are the proper form of expressing democracy, however imperfect. It's really very simple. If you don't want to cancel Brexit don't vote LibDem. If they win, you know very clearly what will happen on Day 1.

Kudos.

It's a niche vote strategy and it may well help push up their share from middle-class Tory voters like Nigel - it's certainly attracted attention, which is half the battle. But she's also deterring some Labour tactical voters - anecdotally I know three dfferent Labour voters who were considering voting LibDem as they did in the locals and Euros who now don't intend to, because they feel Swinson is too anti-Labour as well as too undemocratic on Brexit - and this is Surrey, the sort of area where the LibDems really need tactical support.
    I don't think much of the LibDems or their "revoke without referendum" nonsense, but personally I would tactically vote for them if I was in a Con/LD marginal. Then again, I was in the minority of Labour supporters who probably would've done that in 2017, too (don't think I could've stomached it in 2015 with Clegg still at the helm).

Increasingly though, I think there's no way of Labour doing well in an election before Brexit is 'resolved', no matter what their stance is.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited September 2019

The Liberals may have a habit of doing well in by-elections, but the Conservatives also have a habit at GEs of winning back seats they lost to them. Add in the very narrow margin of the win, the scandal surrounding the Conservative candidate and the questionmark over a future Remain pact. You should not assume that the Liberals will hang on. They may get 13 net gains but it won't be a walk in the park.

On the question of a Remain pact, do you think that Plaid will still stand down in Brecon when the Liberals run a candidate against them in marginal Ceredigion? I don't.

I do, because every single comment about a Plaid/Lib Dem pact, from both sides, has said "of course, we'll still both fight Ceredigion". And Plaid has a lot more to gain from a pact than the Lib Dems. Ceredigion and Brecon aside, only one of the Lib Dems' top 80 target seats is in Wales. In other words, the upside of a pact for the Lib Dems is one seat, Montgomeryshire.

And here are Caroline Lucas's scathing comments about the Liberals new undemocratic "Revoke" policy, in the midst of which she bemoans the lack of a commitment from other parties to reciprocal arrangements with the Greens:

"Asked whether it made it harder to form a Remain election pact with the Lib Dems - which would see the parties agree not to compete for particular seats - she demanded a greater commitment from her closest political rivals. Ms Lucas told Brand the Lib Dems and Labour both needed to show a genuine intent "to help some Green Party voices to get into Parliament" after she felt let down by her party's sacrifices in the 2017 election."

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-09-17/caroline-lucas-acting-prime-minister-the-green-party-election/

Which is fine, and I would agree, except where is that second Green Party seat going to be? The only two plausible candidates are the Isle of Wight and Sheffield Central, which are 38k Conservative/13k Green, and 33k Labour/4k Green, respectively. To call it a stretch is putting it politely. I do expect the Lib Dems to stand down in Sheffield Central (IoW less likely but possible), but it's a good-faith gesture rather than actually achieving anything.
  • Options

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    How? It is not though the Army is about to launch a coup or there is significant bloodshed.
    Not yet
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    Eadie, for the government, is struggling. In answer to the question "What if the government prorogued for a long period?" he answered "We shouldn't judge the principles [which he is proposing] against such extreme examples". Yet Cummings is rumoured to be threatening to prorogue parliament again when they return on 14 October. I think the government may lose this - certainly the argument on competence of the Court.

My view still is that Court will rule it does have competence in cases like this but will not rule this particular prorogation illegal (by a narrow majority 6/5) and warn off the government from stretching any further.
  • Options

I guess it would only require a minor adjustment of mindset to move from 'don't leave us, whinging, benefit junky, Jock bastards' to 'come and join us, cheating, convict, Aussie tossers'. A little UKOK charm goes a long way.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Roger said:

TOPPING said:

Just my thoughts though

'Vote Labour for a final choice' is a good line if it wasn't that Corbyn is known to be a Leaver. Why would anyone wanting to either Remain or get as close as possible vote Labour on that basis? It is the original pig in a poke.
    Vote Labour for a Final Solution perhaps more apposite.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    You can't keep a good man down.

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1174267496926461953?s=20
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Current VI / 2017 Vote:

ABC1/C2DE Total GB

Remain/Leave Total GB

Men/Women Total GB

I agree. And so do all the people I met in the pub last night.
  • Options

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    Not yet
    With that attitude, can you really contemplate a holiday ever again... ?
  • Options
    Dadge said:

GIN1138 said:

Brexit hasn't happened.
    "following a vote to leave the European Union" - doesn't require Brexit to have happened.

Also in that same piece: let the record show that Iain Duncan Smith said this - "The Treasury has consistently got its predictions wrong in the past. This Treasury document is not an honest assessment but a deeply biased view of the future and it should not be believed by anyone."

TSE may find it difficult to swallow that IDS was more on the ball than his Blessed Osborne...

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,550
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    Lol, in a long list of pishy dog-ate-homework excuses, No.10 giving a flying one about the SNP conference is far and away the most pishy!

https://twitter.com/MarkerJParker/status/1173974056154144771?s=20
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2019
    O/T I see there have been a number of quite astonishingly ignorant posts upthread about Help to Buy. I'd suggest people should look up how it works before making daft comments about it.

Edit: I see @alex understands it!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    Pulpstar said:

As a Hard Left Social Democrat this is exactly the sort of policy I want from Labour.

It's what I go to school for. Not a private one obviously.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Repeal the Statute of Westminster! No Parliament can bind its successors!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    edited September 2019
    Meanwhile in Israel with 63% counted:

Blue and White 32
    Likud 31
    Religious 24
    Arab 13
    Left 11
    Liebermann 9

Likud+Religious not feasible
    Blue and White plus Likud feasible but not with Netanyahu
    Blue and White plus Left plus Liebermann with C&S from Arab feasible but will Liebermann agree to even C&S from Arab?

Most likely outcome: Central coalition minus Netanyahu.
  • Options

O/T I see there have been a number of quite astonishingly ignorant posts upthread about Help to Buy. I'd suggest people should look up how it works before making daft comments about it.

For us spectators could you elucidate?
  • Options

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    I said it was the nearest comparator, not that it was exactly the same.

Algeria was crisis of national identity fuelled by incompetent and weak politicians who overestimated French power and influence and promised that they could achieve the impossible, namely continuing French control of Algeria.

Brexit is a crisis of national identity fuelled by incompetent and weak politicians who overestimated British power and influence and promised they could achieve the impossible, namely all the benefits of EU membership without any of the costs.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

As a Hard Left Social Democrat this is exactly the sort of policy I want from Labour.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

What about a bit of property distribution, from NW3 to NE3, say?
  • Options

I guess it would only require a minor adjustment of mindset to move from 'don't leave us, whinging, benefit junky, Jock bastards' to 'come and join us, cheating, convict, Aussie tossers'. A little UKOK charm goes a long way.
    No sane person would want to be associated with them TUD, hence everyone but Trump running for shelter when the morons come peddling their FTA's. I lie, the Faroes Islands caved in.
This discussion has been closed.