Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Democrat nominee polling finds Warren’s generates the most

13»

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Caught up with the BBCs Cameron documentary.

Osborne is very, very bitter with everyone isn't he? :D

Imagine how pleased he would be if there had been a recession following a Leave vote as he claimed there would be.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    Gold standard — Angus Reid:

Con 36%
    Lib 33%
    NDP 13%
    Grn 9%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_Canadian_federal_election
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,623
    edited September 2019
    https://twitter.com/jasimsoncaird/status/1174600570595926016?s=20

According to long-standing convention, when a government is defeated on a bill that is central to government policy, or which it has itself treated as a matter of confidence, it must either resign, secure a fresh vote of confidence, or secure a dissolution of parliament. This convention has been recorded in all the standard works of constitutional law, including those by Eugene Forsey, Vernon Bogdanor, Rodney Brazier, Robert Blackburn and Geoffrey Marshall.

The Johnson government has suffered such a defeat by the passage of a non-government bill that it treated as a matter of confidence and which was opposed to its central policy. Yet Johnson has neither resigned nor secured a dissolution. His failure to resign, in the face of a clear loss of confidence, not once but on every substantive vote put during his government’s short existence, has breached convention and is at the root of the current constitutional difficulties.

• Options

According to long-standing convention, when a government is defeated on a bill that is central to government policy, or which it has itself treated as a matter of confidence, it must either resign, secure a fresh vote of confidence, or secure a dissolution of parliament. This convention has been recorded in all the standard works of constitutional law, including those by Eugene Forsey, Vernon Bogdanor, Rodney Brazier, Robert Blackburn and Geoffrey Marshall.

The Johnson government has suffered such a defeat by the passage of a non-government bill that it treated as a matter of confidence and which was opposed to its central policy. Yet Johnson has neither resigned nor secured a dissolution. His failure to resign, in the face of a clear loss of confidence, not once but on every substantive vote put during his government’s short existence, has breached convention and is at the root of the current constitutional difficulties.

To be fair, he's tried hard to get a dissolution.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265

Only when it suited him...which did not meet FTPA requirements
  • Options

Right but then failed to resign when he couldn't, because the thing about treating the vote as a matter of confidence was a lie, it was just a bit of power politics.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

IanB2 said:

I see HY and MM have both come out as Democrat supporters.

I've never been a Republican supporter.....
    It depends who the Republican is.

Reagan was great but since then . . . only decent GOP candidate for Presidency in my adult lifetime was John McCain. He would have made a fantastic President, it is such a shame that he lost the 2000 Primaries and that when he finally won the primaries he ran into Obama.

The Democrats aren't much better though. Bill Clinton was OK, but the only decent Democratic candidate of my adult lifetime was Obama.

If I lived in America today I'd have to vote Democrat. If I'd been living in America 30 years ago [as myself now] I'd have been a swing voter identifying more with the GOP but not now.
    Bush Sr was a good man, who became President at a point when he was no longer as sharp as he was.
    Bush Jr was not a bad man, he was just not up to the job.

In fact, I'd argue that the only genuinely bad President of the last 50 years was Carter.

Ford - good
    Reagan - good
    Bush Sr - OK
    Clinton - OK
    Bush Jr - OK
    Obama - OK

Trump - temperamentally unsuited to be POTUS. It's not the politics (although I don't like them). It's the attitude. Even if his policies aligned 100% with his, I hope I'd still oppose him.
  • Options
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Reagan was great but since then . . . only decent GOP candidate for Presidency in my adult lifetime was John McCain. He would have made a fantastic President, it is such a shame that he lost the 2000 Primaries and that when he finally won the primaries he ran into Obama.

The Democrats aren't much better though. Bill Clinton was OK, but the only decent Democratic candidate of my adult lifetime was Obama.

If I lived in America today I'd have to vote Democrat. If I'd been living in America 30 years ago [as myself now] I'd have been a swing voter identifying more with the GOP but not now.
    Bush Sr was a good man, who became President at a point when he was no longer as sharp as he was.

In fact, I'd argue that the only genuinely bad President of the last 50 years was Carter.

Ford - good
    Reagan - good
    Bush Sr - OK
    Clinton - OK
    Bush Jr - OK
    Obama - OK

Trump - temperamentally unsuited to be POTUS. It's not the politics (although I don't like them). It's the attitude. Even if his policies aligned 100% with his, I hope I'd still oppose him.
    You have to judge a politician by his times and context.

When Jimmy Carter was elected in 1976, America was in a bad place. The aftermath of Vietnam, the Civil Rights movement, oil crisis of the early Seventies and most of all Watergate had made Washington a toxic place. Jimmy Carter was naive and an outsider, from rural America, but was a necessary dose of honesty and decency. His 4 years were a little bit like "Mr Smith Goes to Washington", but he did allow US politics to get itself cleaned up substantially.

The Iran revolution, hostage crisis and second oil crisis did for him, perhaps rather unfairly, but he remains one of the few former POTUS that I could enjoy an evening with. Politically he was centrist in a very bitterly divided country. He won support from independents and centrist Republicans that more left wing Democrats couldn't touch.

Perhaps not a great President, but a great restorative, and a genuinely nice guy.

• Options

It's sad to see such a beautiful, if ferociously effective war machine politicised. Our ability to replace losses quicker than the Nazis proved we could be better manufacturers than them, at least in the 1940s.
    The Nazis were rubbish manufacturers because not enough was standardised. Everyone knows Spitfires were powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, but might not know they were actually manufactured by Ford at Dagenham. There can also be an argument that the war was won on the production lines of Detroit.
  • Options
    I missed this during a rather busy day yesterday, but what wit from John Major. A bit like Carter, he has grown on me over the years.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1174661216750452736?s=19
  • Options

It's sad to see such a beautiful, if ferociously effective war machine politicised. Our ability to replace losses quicker than the Nazis proved we could be better manufacturers than them, at least in the 1940s.
    The Nazis were rubbish manufacturers because not enough was standardised. Everyone knows Spitfires were powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, but might not know they were actually manufactured by Ford at Dagenham. There can also be an argument that the war was won on the production lines of Detroit.
    It was only when Speer took over that Germany move to a war economy, several years behind us.

Indeed the Battle of Britain was won by industry as much as the RAF. To put it simply, we finished the BoB with as many planes as we had started, while the Germans had a much reduced air fleet. In many ways it was a battle of attrition.
  • Options

Europe is history.

I am pretty sure that Europe is geography. But I went to a comprehensive so I might be wrong.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    On topic.

With those positives, Warren looks nailed on. Her selfie lines are the practical end of that.

She is only 5 years younger than Biden, but looks 20 years younger. I suspect she will romp home as candidate.

As POTUS, I have my doubts, as most presidents get a second term, but I think she can do it.

https://twitter.com/MaddowBlog/status/1174138559139328000?s=19
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Right but then failed to resign when he couldn't, because the thing about treating the vote as a matter of confidence was a lie, it was just a bit of power politics.
    What a load of garbage - Labour had the chance for an election and a new PM and chickened out.

If anyone is to blame for weak government it’s Labour - for being too weak to govern.

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.

This has been a problem with UK politics. Idiots popular with their own side get leadership roles, leaving a less than thrilled general public with a menu of unappetising options.

The electorate's like a burger fan trapped at a vegan dinner party.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Ford - good
    Reagan - good
    Bush Sr - OK
    Clinton - OK
    Bush Jr - OK
    Obama - OK

When Jimmy Carter was elected in 1976, America was in a bad place. The aftermath of Vietnam, the Civil Rights movement, oil crisis of the early Seventies and most of all Watergate had made Washington a toxic place. Jimmy Carter was naive and an outsider, from rural America, but was a necessary dose of honesty and decency. His 4 years were a little bit like "Mr Smith Goes to Washington", but he did allow US politics to get itself cleaned up substantially.

The Iran revolution, hostage crisis and second oil crisis did for him, perhaps rather unfairly, but he remains one of the few former POTUS that I could enjoy an evening with. Politically he was centrist in a very bitterly divided country. He won support from independents and centrist Republicans that more left wing Democrats couldn't touch.

Perhaps not a great President, but a great restorative, and a genuinely nice guy.

Carter was the only genuinely good person to be US president in a long time, until maybe Obama. It's perhaps a sad reflection on the world that he didn't manage to do a good job as president, at least in the eyes of many.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    TGOHF said:

What a load of garbage - Labour had the chance for an election and a new PM and chickened out.

If anyone is to blame for weak government it’s Labour - for being too weak to govern.

Why are you telling us what we already know?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,240

Is this constitutional writer not aware of the terms of the FTPA? But for that there would have been a dissolution. And there should have been, just like there should have been in February when May's deal was so comprehensively defeated. The concept of matters of confidence (other than a specific motion in terms of that Act) has been destroyed and it is to our detriment leaving us with governments that cannot govern.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is there a typo in there somewhere?

On those numbers and changes the Lib Dems started on 34.2% and the Tories on 28.1% so how can it be a Lib Dem gain from the Tories?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

/twitter.com/britainelects/status/1174926411548844032

Revoke doesn't appear unpopular in Fulham either

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1174823932135968769?s=19
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Foxy said:

<

Carter was a poor President.

But, the Carter who was Governor of Georgia and whose speeches are reproduced in 'The Great Shark Hunt' does come across as a very reforming and fair-minded politician.

I think the problems of POTUS overwhelmed him.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

On those numbers and changes the Lib Dems started on 34.2% and the Tories on 28.1% so how can it be a Lib Dem gain from the Tories?
    It's a two member seat - the Lib Dems won last time with the Tories second. The Lib Dems only put up one candidate!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Boris seems to have made more progress on the backstop with Dublin and the EU in 30 days than May did in 6 months.

No wonder Remainers are furious.
  • Options
    I think this will be news of the day as it spreads across the globe though. Greta has really started something.

https://twitter.com/STorsi/status/1174897770320125953?s=19
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Boris seems to have made more progress on the backstop with Dublin and the EU in 30 days than May did in 6 months.

He tippexed it out.

How is that progress?
  • Options

Foxy said:

<

Carter was a poor President.

But, the Carter who was Governor of Georgia and whose speeches are reproduced in 'The Great Shark Hunt' does come across as a very reforming and fair-minded politician.

I think the problems of POTUS overwhelmed him.
    There were also allegations of Republican dirty tricks to win the 1980 election, including Debategate (where Reagan's team got hold of Carter's briefing notes) and the October Surprise (which claims Republicans arranged with Iran that the release of the American hostages would be delayed until Reagan was elected).
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's a two member seat - the Lib Dems won last time with the Tories second. The Lib Dems only put up one candidate!
    Cheers sir.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Scott_P said:
    That’s good, must be all done then!

The key question for me is whether the current chatter represents any genuine progress or is it positioning in the ongoing blame game.

My hunch is the latter.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

An F+ is still a fail.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Only in the sense of going back to the original NI backstop - so back to Spring 2018 and 18 months squandered.

At this rate of progress we should have a FTA by 2050.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Justin Trudeau's re-election campaign isn't exactly going to plan is it.

I'd say the latest quote that he can't remember how many times he's blacked up is the most damaging of all.

I am sure most people on pb.com can remember exactly how many times we have blacked up.

As with Tony, once the Teflon begins to peel, then the end is close at hand.
    Blair never lost an election, even in 2005 when the shine had fully come off.

From what I have seen most Canadian voters interviewed don't seem that bothered, it was done when he was young before he was a politician and he has apologised.

The Canadian election may be won on many things but it will not be won on what parts Justin Trudeau played in school plays
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Justin Trudeau's re-election campaign isn't exactly going to plan is it.

I'd say the latest quote that he can't remember how many times he's blacked up is the most damaging of all.

I am sure most people on pb.com can remember exactly how many times we have blacked up.

As with Tony, once the Teflon begins to peel, then the end is close at hand.
    Blair never lost an election, even in 2005 when the shine had fully come off.

From what I have seen most Canadian voters interviewed don't seem that bothered, it was done when he was young before he was a politician and he has apologised.

The Canadian election may be won on many things but it will not be won on what parts Justin Trudeau played in school plays
    technically, that’s not quite true. The Tories won the 1999 and 2004 Euros.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Only in the sense of going back to the original NI backstop - so back to Spring 2018 and 18 months squandered.

At this rate of progress we should have a FTA by 2050.
    You’re welcome 👀
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,106
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

And utterly incapable of accepting progress has been made.

The Establishment is crapping itself. Their strategy for the past three years is falling apart....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

Carter was the only genuinely good person to be US president in a long time, until maybe Obama. It's perhaps a sad reflection on the world that he didn't manage to do a good job as president, at least in the eyes of many.

I would agree with that. It says something that the very small number of genuinely good human beings who became President, of whom Carter stands at the head of a very short list, none were ultimately very effective.

Mind, Carter was also very unlucky. I still think the rabbit story sums up his presidency perfectly.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Some dude on the twitter thread, no idea if they're right, says:

https://twitter.com/MojoBeastLP/status/1174927677381152769
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    Foxy said:

It was only when Speer took over that Germany move to a war economy, several years behind us.

Indeed the Battle of Britain was won by industry as much as the RAF. To put it simply, we finished the BoB with as many planes as we had started, while the Germans had a much reduced air fleet. In many ways it was a battle of attrition.
    The Germans were excellent at quality. Quantity? Not so much. The war was won on the Eastern Front. Whilst the Tiger was a much better tank than the T34, it was highly engineered and complex, and slow to complete. T-34s were less effective but much simpler. In a war of attrition, the Germans were overwhelmed by numbers.

The British War Economy was put in place during 1938 with the establishment of the shadow factories. Chamberlain is much maligned, but the breathing space he gained after Munich allowed the gearing up of the economy and the deployment of the Chain Home radar network. It was the latter that won the battle of Britain, allowing Dowding to deploy his limited resources to maximum effect. British aircraft were always in the right place at the right time and, as they were fighting over home territory, had much more time in the air available to them than the German escorts which had the disadvantage of coming from France.

Simlarly, British pilots could be back in action straight awayif shot down unharmed, whereas German pilots were captured. Pilots took longer to train than aircraft to build. The pilot reserve was another benefit of the post-Munich delay, with the establishment of the RAFVR
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is this constitutional writer not aware of the terms of the FTPA? But for that there would have been a dissolution. And there should have been, just like there should have been in February when May's deal was so comprehensively defeated. The concept of matters of confidence (other than a specific motion in terms of that Act) has been destroyed and it is to our detriment leaving us with governments that cannot govern.
    Your first point is valid that Johnson did try to secure a dissolution but failed.

But the problem is not that under the FTPA a GE cannot be called at the whim of the pM. It is that the MPs all of them including those currently in government and opposition are not prepared to work together to form a working government. It is using the mindset of the old system during the era of fixed terms. In countries where fixed terms have been in force for a long time, the MPs understand the need to cooperate not compete.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Someone is going to use some technology to black him up in that video, like that episode of Jonathan Creek.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

Your first point is valid that Johnson did try to secure a dissolution but failed.

But the problem is not that under the FTPA a GE cannot be called at the whim of the pM. It is that the MPs all of them including those currently in government and opposition are not prepared to work together to form a working government. It is using the mindset of the old system during the era of fixed terms. In countries where fixed terms have been in force for a long time, the MPs understand the need to cooperate not compete.
    Exactly. It’s the politicians who are to blame, not the system itself.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Ford - good
    Reagan - good
    Bush Sr - OK
    Clinton - OK
    Bush Jr - OK
    Obama - OK

Bush "Christmas Pardons for Iran Contra" Snr a good man?

Bush Jnr a good man?

Clearly the worst part of the Trump presidency is white washing W as not the head of a kleptocratic regime.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

And utterly incapable of accepting progress has been made.

The Establishment is crapping itself. Their strategy for the past three years is falling apart....
    Mathematically, I am happy to concede he has made 100x as much progress on May at getting a deal all sides can agree to.

This is however because 100x0 is still 0.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Someone is going to use some technology to black him up in that video, like that episode of Jonathan Creek.
    https://twitter.com/jackposobiec/status/1174897051928154112?s=21
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I would agree with that. It says something that the very small number of genuinely good human beings who became President, of whom Carter stands at the head of a very short list, none were ultimately very effective.

Mind, Carter was also very unlucky. I still think the rabbit story sums up his presidency perfectly.
    I remember the "Iranian Hostages" being held hostage for over a year. Carter led a lot of work to get the hostages released. They were released one hour after Reagan was sworn in. The timing was deliberate.

Carter probably would not have won a second term even if the Iranian Hostage Crisis had not taken place, but it is an indication of how Carter's strengths were not recognised.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Ford - good
    Reagan - good
    Bush Sr - OK
    Clinton - OK
    Bush Jr - OK
    Obama - OK

Bush Jnr a good man?

Clearly the worst part of the Trump presidency is white washing W as not the head of a kleptocratic regime.
    Given 50 years ago takes us to 1969, I'm also amazed anyone puts Carter below Nixon. Even allowing for the fact Nixon had some achievements in office as well as all the criminality, drunkenness and failure in Vietnam, I am still amazed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The FTPA didn’t stop Johnson resigning - as has been the custom when a vote on a matter of confidence is lost. That’s a different matter from the FTPA “vote of confidence”.

Let’s see how the Supreme Court views it.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:
    https://twitter.com/jackposobiec/status/1174897051928154112?s=21
    Who did this? Probably Trudeau himself. Although he can't remember doing it.....
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Carlotta's shown 5 overnight locals where substantial LD share gains from both the Johnson and Corbyn parties didn't result in any seat gains because the LibDems got only 12% in the previous elections.

In the sixth, Taunton Vivary, the LD's gained a seat, moving their share from 28.6% to 55.1%. More worryingly for what were once major parties: across the six, the average LD share moved from 14.7% to 30.4%: larger than both the Johnsonites and Corbynites.

Arguably, a random collection of locals give us insights into real voter behaviour in real elections that opinion polls about a hypothetical GE tomorrow don't. Apart from anything else, opinion polls still ask about voting intentions for Conservative and Labour parties - entities now destroyed by their extremist and totalitarian leadership.

And there's one thing most of us should agree on. FPTP means LDs polling 20% very likely will end up with 50 seats or so. LDs polling 30% mean over 200 seats, and a real possibility they'll be the biggest party at Westminter.

Which is the better guide to the next GE: Tuesday's Ipsos/Mori or last night's six locals? Psephologists don't seem to have yet quite twigged that reliable opinion polls really need to ask about voting intentions for parties that exist on the day a voter goes to vote.

• Options
    edited September 2019

DavidL said:

The FTPA didn’t stop Johnson resigning - as has been the custom when a vote on a matter of confidence is lost. That’s a different matter from the FTPA “vote of confidence”.

The corollary of what you are saying is that every time a minority administration falls out with a junior partner, then that PM resigns. Good luck with making that work in an era of coalition politics. Every time the DUP threw their toys out the pram - new PM or new election?
  • Options
    Flanner said:

Carlotta's shown 5 overnight locals where substantial LD share gains from both the Johnson and Corbyn parties didn't result in any seat gains because the LibDems got only 12% in the previous elections.

In the sixth, Taunton Vivary, the LD's gained a seat, moving their share from 28.6% to 55.1%. More worryingly for what were once major parties: across the six, the average LD share moved from 14.7% to 30.4%: larger than both the Johnsonites and Corbynites.

Arguably, a random collection of locals give us insights into real voter behaviour in real elections that opinion polls about a hypothetical GE tomorrow don't. Apart from anything else, opinion polls still ask about voting intentions for Conservative and Labour parties - entities now destroyed by their extremist and totalitarian leadership.

And there's one thing most of us should agree on. FPTP means LDs polling 20% very likely will end up with 50 seats or so. LDs polling 30% mean over 200 seats, and a real possibility they'll be the biggest party at Westminter.

Which is the better guide to the next GE: Tuesday's Ipsos/Mori or last night's six locals? Psephologists don't seem to have yet quite twigged that reliable opinion polls really need to ask about voting intentions for parties that exist on the day a voter goes to vote.

I’d also factor in the LD conference not being the week of the GE ..
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

GIN1138 said:

Caught up with the BBCs Cameron documentary.

Osborne is very, very bitter with everyone isn't he? :D

Imagine how pleased he would be if there had been a recession following a Leave vote as he claimed there would be.
    If you had claimed there would be an enormous recession, almost a million job losses and that you would be delivering a punishment budget, you'd be upset if there was continuous modest growth, almost a million more jobs and you were writing a column on your local freesheet.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The corollary of what you are saying is that every time a minority administration falls out with a junior partner, then that PM resigns. Good luck with making that work in an era of coalition politics. Every time the DUP threw their toys out the pram - new PM or new election?
    Alternatively don’t be so fecking stupid as to declare votes you might lose “matters of confidence.”

Either it was a matter of confidence and Johnson should have resigned, or it wasn’t and he had no right to sack the 21. He can’t have it both ways. Let’s see if the SC spots it....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,975
    TGOHF said:

Flanner said:

I’d also factor in the LD conference not being the week of the GE ..
    Indeed a good night for the LD's and, against the conference bounce, there was a lot of other 'noise' in the political world. Does confirm the trend of recent weeks, though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

/twitter.com/britainelects/status/1174926411548844032

Revoke doesn't appear unpopular in Fulham either

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1174823932135968769?s=19
    Interesting the equal gain from Con and Lab in London.
  • Options
    Flanner said:

Also factor in that opinion polls cover who they want people to govern us for five years, not fix their pot holes.

Locals are a free shot against the Govt. of the day in the same way as the European elections were in June. But I don't see the Brexit Party preparing for Govt....
  • Options
    Everyone has been remarkably calm about the Fed intervening in the overnight inter Bank lending market a few days ago.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Alistair said:

Bush Jnr a good man?

The lesson I take from GW, is that however bad you think a politician is, there is room for it to get worse.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

MaxPB said:

OT How is Farage going to react to this purported deal? Does it depend on the specifics or is any deal a sell-out as far as he's concerned?

Farage's reaction could affect BoJo's prospects if the deal materialises and gets past the HoC.

Does it matter? If we get out of the EU with a deal and Boris falls that's surely a double win.
    As a Remainer I was nevertheless keen to see May's deal approved so, assuming Boris's 'deal' is simply May's with a bit of added fudge and waffle, I'd be ok with it.

Still a lot of hurdles to cross though before Boris can declare a deal is done.
    Why would Labour wish to provide someone as widely despised as Johnson with support which they denied to Theresa May?
    I believe the thinking is*, if the EU have had enough of Brexit they won't offer an extension so the HoC would be faced with Deal or No Deal.

(*I don't buy it myself but I can see the logic)
    If it came to that, it would be better to table a VNOC to effectively prevent the deal being presented to Parliament. It seems unlikely that the EU would refuse an Extension to facilitate an election being held.
    Just think about that.

A Brexit deal is on the table. It is proposd by the PM. It is an advance on what May and Robbins spent 3 years telling us was impossible to achieve. But more importantly, it offers what virtually every sentient voter wants - an end to fucking Brexit.

And then Corbyn goes and fucks it all up by saying "actually you know, I DO want a General Election now."

Conservatives win Bootle......

Johnson can hardly complain given he has made two attempts to call an election. Labour and the other Opposition parties will vote against the Queens Speech. If that succeeds a VNOC would naturally follow.
    I think the opposition will add a "tax transparency " clause to the Queens Speech, meaning Johnson would have to throw the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands under the bus to get it through.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

HYUFD said:
    On the level of the wokies eating their own it's funny. In every other respect it's ott posturing of the highest order. I know Canada gets a lot of snowflakes every year but...
  • Options
    What seems very clear is that the LibDem electorate is extremely motivated. At a general eleciton, though, they will collide with a lot of people who drag themselves out to the polls much more reluctantly. For me, differential turnout will be a huge factor when the vote finally comes. The Tories have the old, who vote in large numbers; the LDs seem to have the middle classes, who also always turn out. What does Labour have?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Flanner said:

As ever it's the hope that hurts....
  • Options

DavidL said:

Alternatively don’t be so fecking stupid as to declare votes you might lose “matters of confidence.”

Either it was a matter of confidence and Johnson should have resigned, or it wasn’t and he had no right to sack the 21. He can’t have it both ways. Let’s see if the SC spots it....
    I don't see why it can't be used as a tool of party discipline. "If you can't support the PM, then piss off. But he's still the PM...."
  • Options

The Spitfire in the tweet actually has a Griffon engine and Merlins were built all over, Including a fifth of them at Hillington in Glasgow. Agree about the chaotic nature of Nazi war production which makes what German industry achieved all the more notable. The Luftwaffe had more aircraft by the end of 1940 than at the beginning.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Andy_JS said:

Gold standard — Angus Reid:

Con 36%
    Lib 33%
    NDP 13%
    Grn 9%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_Canadian_federal_election

First 2 lines I thought that was a GB poll 😂😂😱
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The FTPA changed that convention.
  • Options
    What is the story? I've read it and I'm none the wiser.
  • Options
    Charles said:

It didn't. All it did was to change the identity of the authority to whom the PM has to apply for a dissolution, from the monarch to the House of Commons. Under the previous arrangements, the Lascelles letter, the monarch could refuse a dissolution, as can the Commons under the FTPA. The consequence of a refusal of a dissolution remains the same - resignation.
  • Options

The Spitfire in the tweet actually has a Griffon engine and Merlins were built all over, Including a fifth of them at Hillington in Glasgow. Agree about the chaotic nature of Nazi war production which makes what German industry achieved all the more notable. The Luftwaffe had more aircraft by the end of 1940 than at the beginning.
    Edit: Actually on looking at the pic again it may be a Merlin, the alu finish put me off.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It's the backstop for when Salmond will deffo bring down Sturgeon doesn't materialise.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited September 2019
    What happens if the Lords vote down a deal? A couple of prerogations in a week? ;)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    Charles said:

I think what this learned person is struggling to say is that Boris is still PM and this parliament still continues despite the fact that it has lost its majority and loses all its votes because the LOTO has failed to bring or win a VONC, and the opposition parties collectively declined to bring an end to the parliament by voting against an election because they thought they were not popular or united enough to win it.

Of course this government should resign. It is doing its best to do so.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    Congratulations to Ms Sturgeon if she doesn't use emails. Life is possible without them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

Exactly. It’s the politicians who are to blame, not the system itself.
    And they use the system as an excuse.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Alistair said:

Everyone has been remarkably calm about the Fed intervening in the overnight inter Bank lending market a few days ago.

Well I dont understand the significance of such things so its easy to remain calm if those who do understand dont seem to panic.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I missed this during a rather busy day yesterday, but what wit from John Major. A bit like Carter, he has grown on me over the years.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1174661216750452736?s=19

The exploding clown car was the ERM and Major put the UK economy in it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Indeed - what she has written appears to completely ignore the UK legal context - as if the FTPA didn't exist and the government is clinging on against the will of the Commons - her argument that the only reason prorogation is not lawful is to avoid an election is in Johnson's favour! I'm not sure what sort of constitutional expert she is but I think she is reaching a conclusion at odds with her own reasoning. Unless a government is trying to avoid an election then prorogation is constitutionally normal and say what you like about the government and this PM an election has been offered and declined by the House of Commons.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited September 2019
    IanB2 said:

I am not a Democrat, I would be an Independent if I was American and would probably vote for Kasich if he went third party in 2020 (I would have voted for Kasich over Hillary too).

Otherwise I would vote for Biden over Trump but Trump over Warren and Sanders
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It's so she can pretend she didn't officially know anything about this

Glasgow’s “super-hospital” was permitted to open despite the ventilation systems failing to meet safety standards, The Times has learnt.

Outbreaks of infection, which may have spread through the ventilation system at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, have led to the deaths of two patients. A ten-year-old cancer patient and a 73-year-old woman died after testing positive for Cryptococcus, a fungus linked to pigeon droppings, which were found in air ducts.

The decision to open the Queen Elizabeth contrasts with the last-minute decision to postpone the transfer of patients to the new “Sick Kids” hospital in Edinburgh, which failed to meet the same ventilation standards.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/queen-elizabeth-university-hospital-in-glasgow-opened-despite-not-meeting-safety-standards-hmvrw0ntl
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Flanner said:

Common sense tells you you'd have to travel a long way to find voters in any numbers who don't loathe the Tories and Labour in equal measure. Perhaps we really are about to see a Lb Dem breakthrough. If they play their cards right and get the right people working for them I can't see why not.
  • Options

The Spitfire in the tweet actually has a Griffon engine and Merlins were built all over, Including a fifth of them at Hillington in Glasgow.

My Grandad worked in the factory.

The housing estate built nearby for the workers contains a large grass square with no apparent purpose, but it was the site of a barrage balloon during the war.

You can find a photograph of it online. A German reconnaissance photo...
  • Options
    We haven’t yet seen a real Lib Dem breakthrough.
    They are still polling less than those heady days of 2010, aren’t they?

Labour are fucked, though.

Their only chance is to get rid of Corbyn and that of course they will not do.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Congratulations to Ms Sturgeon if she doesn't use emails. Life is possible without them.

But slower.

Saying she uses paper not emails is ridiculous as emails, with their attachments, are often the most efficient way of moving paper around.

And also a safeguard against paper being lost.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,240
    kingbongo said:

DavidL said:

Indeed - what she has written appears to completely ignore the UK legal context - as if the FTPA didn't exist and the government is clinging on against the will of the Commons - her argument that the only reason prorogation is not lawful is to avoid an election is in Johnson's favour! I'm not sure what sort of constitutional expert she is but I think she is reaching a conclusion at odds with her own reasoning. Unless a government is trying to avoid an election then prorogation is constitutionally normal and say what you like about the government and this PM an election has been offered and declined by the House of Commons.
    One of the great frustrations of Brexit over the last few years has been the ability of MPs to vote against things without consequence. The FTPA has added to that lack of consequence and made our MPs more irresponsible, not less. I don't disagree with those that say it is for the politicians to make the system work but our system now bears no resemblance to what this constitutional writer is describing. I wish it did.
  • Options
    @Flanner

Normally I wouldn't extrapolate from Council Elections to the GE but in the current febrile state of national politics there is a better reason for doing so than usual.

As you indicate, the Council votes are real ones, not the hypothetical responses to opinion polls. Normally such opinions are reliable enough but at the moment the respondent has to make an assumption about how Brexit will pan out. The uncertainty factor suggests the polls are likely to be less reliable than usual. Their widely varying resuts is an indication that this is the case.

I'd still be careful about overinterpeting LD council by-election success, but they are on a long successful run so whilst caution is still necessary, it is perfectly possible that the 'councils' are giving a truer picture than the national polls.

In short, I think LD seats are a buy.
  • Options

Just wait for Labour to balls up their conference.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

This is the first I've heard about it.
  • Options

Alistair said:

This is the first I've heard about it.
    They've now intervened for a third day. People are now a little less calm.

https://www.ft.com/content/8f3d0374-dadc-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17
  • Options

It would be nice to have a viable opposition again.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734

Edit: Actually on looking at the pic again it may be a Merlin, the alu finish put me off.
    Yeah, that threw me as well. At first glance I thought it was a Mustang... :(
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137

Europe is history.

I would once again urge you to buy a map.

Europe is our region, geographically and culturally, and we are threatening to destabilise it.

We can as much escape Europe as Jordan can escape the Middle East or Australia can escape Asia-Pacific. Trump’s wall will not allow the US to escape North America and Brexit will not remove us from Europe’s sphere of influence. We are surrounded by it. In our case, however, we are removing ourselves from any chance of shaping the destiny of the region we are in.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,156
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Ford - good
    Reagan - good
    Bush Sr - OK
    Clinton - OK
    Bush Jr - OK
    Obama - OK

Last 50 years? Has Nixon been airbrushed from history?

Bush Jr.- OK? If W gets a free pass over the debacle that was Iraq shouldn't Blair?
This discussion has been closed.