Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling analysis: One in three CON GE2017 Remainers now say th

Comments

• MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Scott_P said:
    I have no idea who Kenny is, but I think angry dismissals of this type are wearing a bit thin now. Have the sensitivities of a community residing both within a state and outside of it ever been dealt with in such a painstaking way as those of the nationalist community are by the UK at the moment?
    Indeed, and are the Irish so intent on blowing each other up that they are itching for an excuse - any excuse, or even just a fig leaf - from the UK government to do so?

I find the idea some seem to have that they are more than somewhat insulting to the Irish.
  • Nigelb said:

Perhaps the first time the words Francois and subtle have ever appeared in the same sentence ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/30/hardline-conservative-brexiters-open-door-to-support-for-deal
    Francois’ comments were seen as a subtle shift in approach for the ERG, whose support could unlock a deal for Boris Johnson....

Truly, we live in strange times.

Nige (Farage) will see that as Private Francois waving a white flag.
    Don't tell him, Pike
  • TGOHF2 said:

And how many would still vote LD when we have left by the time of the election ?

What’s the thinking behind having a sectarian loyalist icon as your avatar?
    Since when did the Glorious Revolution die?
  • Scott_P said:
    I have no idea who Kenny is, but I think angry dismissals of this type are wearing a bit thin now. Have the sensitivities of a community residing both within a state and outside of it ever been dealt with in such a painstaking way as those of the nationalist community are by the UK at the moment?
    Whit? No idea who Kenny is?? Only the most effective Unionist journalist of the past two decades.

How do you twerps expect to win when you don’t even recognise your own field officers.
  • chloe said:

We are getting lots of Lib Dem leaflets in Finchley and Golders Green. They certainly seem to be fighting hard here. As a remain voter and former Conservative voter I will be voting for Luciana Berger.

Finchley and Golders Green (Shadsy)

LD 4/5
    Con 5/4
    Lab 8/1

Those odds are ridiculous. This is a seat where the LDs polled less than 7% last time and less than 4% in 2015.

The value there is the 8/1 on Labour.

If the Labour Party wasn’t led by a Cold War relic.
    Its a different issue which has an effect in F&GG constituency.
  • Scott_P said:
    Is this some kind of attempt at satire?
    The satire surely lies in the fact that any type of customs arrangements, even those that leave private individuals totally free to go back and forth about their business, are being threatened with destruction by armed groups, that incidentally agreed to put their weapons 'beyond use'. Who is angrily questioning their commitment to the GFA?
  • Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:
    He's a journalist on the Scotsman, which is one of the more rabidly British nationalist newspapers in Scotland.
    It's the only Brit nationalist paper unless you include the Daily Rangers which is just like a Scottish Sun
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

spudgfsh said:

Tabman said:

I can believe this.

As a life long Tory, I have now switched to Lib Dems.

And I’m a life long Labourite who’s switched to the LDs. Reminds me of that famous VE day picture of the Russians and Americans shaking hands in the middle of Berlin.
    As a life long floating voter, I have switched to the LDs.
    Given the numbers on here switching to the LDs, and recognising how PBers are such trend-setters, I predict a Lib Dem landslide at the next GE!
    PB is the perfect demographic for the Lib Dems.
    Voters who know their NI numbers off by heart?
    That's a myth. Noone knows their NI number off by heart 😂
    I do. it's AB123456C

(edit: not really but I do know it by heart)
    This is a popular misconception. The NI number is not the same as the NHS number. The NHS number is a 9 digit number which you only ever know when you change your doctor!
    The NHS number is on discharge doc from hospital and also on a prescription.
  • Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Glad I'm watching the athletics not the footie.....

Well somebody has to looking at the empty stadium
    I feel sorry for the athletes. What a farce. Sport is enveloped in corruption.

How many clean sports are left? Netball? Pony trekking? Shinty?
    Only three years until we have a whole football World Cup of empty stadia.
    Don’t depress me.

International sporting championships should have a No Dictatorships rule.
    Don't worry Dickson - chances of Scotland qualifying: zero
  • Scott_P said:
    Whit? No idea who Kenny is?? Only the most effective Unionist journalist of the past two decades.

How do you twerps expect to win when you don’t even recognise your own field officers.
    I really have no idea what you mean. I have my political views but I'm not an activist, nor a regular newspaper reader.

As for expecting to 'win', I expect Scottish nationalism to fail with no effort whatsoever on my part. You'll do that without my help.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

Scott_P said:
    The satire surely lies in the fact that any type of customs arrangements, even those that leave private individuals totally free to go back and forth about their business, are being threatened with destruction by armed groups, that incidentally agreed to put their weapons 'beyond use'. Who is angrily questioning their commitment to the GFA?
    The whole thread is well worth reading but this is an example of the issues with BoJo's approach:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1178760415737778176?s=20
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Glad I'm watching the athletics not the footie.....

Well somebody has to looking at the empty stadium
    I feel sorry for the athletes. What a farce. Sport is enveloped in corruption.

How many clean sports are left? Netball? Pony trekking? Shinty?
    Only three years until we have a whole football World Cup of empty stadia.
    Don’t depress me.

International sporting championships should have a No Dictatorships rule.
    Yep. There’s a fine line between trying to spread the message of sport around the world, and giving a blue riband event to a tiny country with no infrastructure - except of course that which looks after officials from the governing body.

There won’t be enough hotel rooms in Qatar for the teams and officials, let alone any fans who want to stay for longer than an hour or two either side of a match. Who wants a 24 hour trip consisting of 15 hours on a plane with a football match in the middle?
  • I can believe this.

And I’m a life long Labourite who’s switched to the LDs. Reminds me of that famous VE day picture of the Russians and Americans shaking hands in the middle of Berlin.
    Given the numbers on here switching to the LDs, and recognising how PBers are such trend-setters, I predict a Lib Dem landslide at the next GE!
    Are you implying that there are some who do not???
    I have heard that there are some out there who don't, shocking though it might be.
  • spudgfsh said:

Byronic said:

There'd be a shortage of champers in the UK after a 60/40 vote.

Not in England. You over-estimate the desire in England to stay linked to the Scots, after the first indyref, and Brexit. A large minority, maybe a majority of English people would quite happily say goodbye to Scotland and Edinburgh's perceived drag on the English treasury.

I am not one of them. I am a convinced English unionist and a happy Briton, I don't want Scotland to go, but I can see the polls on English perceptions, and I can sense the mood around me.
    There's a growing sense of English identity in a fashion which Scotland and Wales have always had. There is very little left that actually fosters a British identity anymore. Probably only the olympics?
    It's the same F-ing Island as someone once famously (to me at least) stated on PB.

We don't need to go on marches every week like the Yessers.
    It's the Unionists that march (sometimes several times) every week round my bit, and they seem to have a deep, unnatural attachment to a part of another island.
    Glasgow is a sectarian hell-hole. It's your choice to live there. Although I admit the locals were quite friendly for the couple of pints I've had there (Blur concert)
    A fine way to describe your fellow Unionists. However as ever I'm happy to reduce your ignorance about the country in which you live.
  • Scott_P said:
    The whole thread is well worth reading but this is an example of the issues with BoJo's approach:

Full article:

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0930/1079253-border/

Of course, NI being subject to regulations over which it had no say is not "an enormous challenge".....
  • Scott_P said:

I really have no idea what you mean. I have my political views but I'm not an activist, nor a regular newspaper reader.

As for expecting to 'win', I expect Scottish nationalism to fail with no effort whatsoever on my part. You'll do that without my help.
    Another lazy, ignorant, complacent Unionist. My favourite type.
  • JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited September 2019

spudgfsh said:

Byronic said:

Not in England. You over-estimate the desire in England to stay linked to the Scots, after the first indyref, and Brexit. A large minority, maybe a majority of English people would quite happily say goodbye to Scotland and Edinburgh's perceived drag on the English treasury.

I am not one of them. I am a convinced English unionist and a happy Briton, I don't want Scotland to go, but I can see the polls on English perceptions, and I can sense the mood around me.
    There's a growing sense of English identity in a fashion which Scotland and Wales have always had. There is very little left that actually fosters a British identity anymore. Probably only the olympics?
    It's the same F-ing Island as someone once famously (to me at least) stated on PB.

It's the Unionists that march (sometimes several times) every week round my bit, and they seem to have a deep, unnatural attachment to a part of another island.
    Glasgow is a sectarian hell-hole. It's your choice to live there. Although I admit the locals were quite friendly for the couple of pints I've had there (Blur concert)
    A fine way to describe your fellow Unionists. However as ever I'm happy to reduce your ignorance about the country in which you live.
    Glasgow voted Yes dipshit. And I'd say it's the separatists of that city that have a greater affinity to another island given the football I watch.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Five ways the Tories could lose the election
    Boris Johnson needs to understand what went wrong for Theresa May in 2017

By Peter Franklin"

https://unherd.com/2019/09/how-not-to-blow-the-next-election/
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:

I can't decide whether Boris will win a 200 seat majority or get badly defeated.

If you go for a medium range outcome you get Hung Parliament - Con Largest Party - still where we were in May 2010! :D
  • Scott_P said:

Of course the issue of creating an effective but invisible to the naked eye customs border is difficult. I'm proud that our Government has taken on this challenge. The alternatives are to exercise the UK's legal right to erect whatever type of border it chooses, without regard to the sensitivities of the Nationalist community, or to overturn the entire Brexit vote due to the threat of terrorist violence. The first would be wrong, and the second would be unthinkable. Therefore our Government is doing the right thing, under heavy fire from an outraged Twatterati.
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:

By Peter Franklin"

Theresa May was unable to meet, much less speak to "normal" people and thought it was a good idea to threaten her own voters?
  • spudgfsh said:

Byronic said:

Glasgow voted Yes dipshit. And I'd say it's the separatists of that city that have a greater affinity to another island given the football I watch.
    The measured graciousness of Yoons is always a joy.
  • spudgfsh said:

Byronic said:

The measured graciousness of Yoons is always a joy.
    Just you and Dickson keep "educating" me on "Scottish" matters and we'll all be happy
    Scott "n" Paste already beat you to it. :D
  • Scott_P said:

Another lazy, ignorant, complacent Unionist. My favourite type.
    Get well soon.
  • I can believe this.

Are you implying that there are some who do not???
    I have heard that there are some out there who don't, shocking though it might be.
    Outrageous! ;)
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

By Peter Franklin"

Theresa May was unable to meet, much less speak to "normal" people and thought it was a good idea to threaten her own voters?
    Whereas Boris is all over them.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:
    He's a journalist on the Scotsman, which is one of the more rabidly British nationalist newspapers in Scotland.
    It's the only Brit nationalist paper unless you include the Daily Rangers which is just like a Scottish Sun
    Try the Herald, the P and J, and so on ... and the "Scottish" versions of the DM, Times, Telegraph, and so on (ocasionally censored of the more rabid Yoonery: the joys of the modern internet, revealing the differences between the metropolitan and Scottish editions).
  • ScottP has posted no fewer than 6 copy pastes from Twitter in this page of posts alone, with no attempt at commentary, elucidation, or engaging in discussion with other posters. Could you calm down please? PB isn't a retweet.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:
    Try the Herald, the P and J, and so on ... and the "Scottish" versions of the DM, Times, Telegraph, and so on (ocasionally censored of the more rabid Yoonery: the joys of the modern internet, revealing the differences between the metropolitan and Scottish editions).
    Bought a recent P and J, it's got a bit shit. Used to enjoy the Scottish Times, seemed fair and balanced to me.

ScottP has posted no fewer than 6 copy pastes from Twitter in this page of posts alone, with no attempt at commentary, elucidation, or engaging in discussion with other posters. Could you calm down please? PB isn't a retweet.

Yes, Scott P. Stop posting all these different things.

Please just post the same thing over and over again, in the approved manner.
  • Monday night football (data supplied by BFE)

Man U 2.28
    Arsenal 3.35
    Draw 3.65

Lay Man U?
    tlg86 said:

Monday night football (data supplied by BFE)

Man U 2.28
    Arsenal 3.35
    Draw 3.65

Lay Man U?
    Lay Arsenal.
    Team PB FTW
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Loving the people who think finding the Arcuri tweet is a scoop. I bet nobody has looked through her old tweets in the last 10 days......
  • ScottP has posted no fewer than 6 copy pastes from Twitter in this page of posts alone, with no attempt at commentary, elucidation, or engaging in discussion with other posters. Could you calm down please? PB isn't a retweet.

Scott will now complain that you are not using the term 'retweet' correctly.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited September 2019
    I find ScottP’s tweets interesting to be honest. They generate further discussion.
    Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

By Peter Franklin"

Everything with Theresa was grim, grim, grim.

With Boris you can see retail offers all over the placre and he's only just started.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Except Julia Gillard is an anti Brexit ex Labor PM and the current Australian PM is a pro Brexit conservative Scott Morrison who was only re elected a few months ago mainly by provincial Australia against the left liberal urban elite, much like the UK Brexit vote
  • Monday night football (data supplied by BFE)

Man U 2.28
    Arsenal 3.35
    Draw 3.65

Lay Man U?
    tlg86 said:

Monday night football (data supplied by BFE)

Man U 2.28
    Arsenal 3.35
    Draw 3.65

Lay Man U?
    Lay Arsenal.
    Team PB FTW
    The wisdom of crowds?
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:
    Bought a recent P and J, it's got a bit shit. Used to enjoy the Scottish Times, seemed fair and balanced to me.
    British nationalist finds British nationalist publication “fair and balanced” (sic). Stop the presses!

I find ScottP’s tweets interesting to be honest. They generate further discussion.

+1
  • Bloody nepotism...

Barrett brothers Beauden, Scott and Jordie will be the first sibling trio to start in a World Cup for New Zealand when they face Canada on Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/49877197
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Scott_P said:
    Dead on arrival ! This is the government saying trust us and hope we can come up with customs solutions in the transition .

If they didn’t do this for May then they’re not doing this for Bozo .
  • So Johnson's planning to deliver his Brexit plan directly to leaders attending the funeral of Jacques Chirac. Such diplomacy.

https://twitter.com/ThairShaikh/status/1178770147177373696

• philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

David Cameron was 100% right.

Twitter, as a part of the Internet is a key driver of the political hostility and anger that we have to endure.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Trump asking the aussies to help is unsurprising, hes clearly going after the Obama DoJ hard.
    Scott_P said:
    Didn't realise Julia Giddard was still Australian PM.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:
    British nationalist finds British nationalist publication “fair and balanced” (sic). Stop the presses!
    British nationalist isn't a term in this context. Britnat or, my preference, Yoon, maybe.
    Scott_P said:
    That headline does BoJo no favours. It manages to imply both that he's tried a few plans that have flooped and that he's now at the Last-Chance saloon.
  • Shortage of No Deal backers:

Best prices - No Deal Brexit

No (WA ratified, A50 extended or A50 revoked) 1/5
    Yes (UK leaves EU in 2019 without WA) 4/1
  • So Johnson's planning to deliver his Brexit plan directly to leaders attending the funeral of Jacques Chirac. Such diplomacy.

So last week he was doing "this is my secret plan but only for the Commission negotiators, don't show it to the member states". Then next week he wants to try doing it without the negotiators, and *only* talk to the member states. WTF?
    So Bozo is going to attend a funeral and then piss people off even more by doing something that they’ve already said is a waste of time!
    GIN1138 said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

By Peter Franklin"

With Boris you can see retail offers all over the placre and he's only just started.
    We're being treated almost as well as one of his girlfriends!
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

So last week he was doing "this is my secret plan but only for the Commission negotiators, don't show it to the member states". Then next week he wants to try doing it without the negotiators, and *only* talk to the member states. WTF?

He is in the vinegar strokes of his premiership...

The clown is a strategic genius. Or he’s just a clown. Tricky one.

He's missed it. It was this afternoon......
  • Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

By Peter Franklin"

The clown does lots of things to his girlfriends, and other women. But treating them well isn’t one of them.

So Johnson's planning to deliver his Brexit plan directly to leaders attending the funeral of Jacques Chirac. Such diplomacy.

Er... hasn't Chirac's funeral already taken place today?
    Scott_P said:
    Matt Pritchett is a total and utter genius, he gets these right almost every time (which of course is why they pay him something like £3k a day). Genuine LOL.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2019
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    Matt Pritchett is a total and utter genius, he gets these right almost every time (which of course is why they pay him something like £3k a day). Genuine LOL.
    You say he gets paid HOW MUCH !!!!! £1 million a year! Really?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

spudgfsh said:

Byronic said:

Not the ones who have nasty sectarian avatars then?
    New ElectoralCalculus forecast:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

By Peter Franklin"

The clown does lots of things to his girlfriends, and other women. But treating them well isn’t one of them.
    It can be very lucrative for a while, though. We're at that stage now when large amounts of public money are flowing towards us in unusual ways ...

So Johnson's planning to deliver his Brexit plan directly to leaders attending the funeral of Jacques Chirac. Such diplomacy.

He's missed it. It was this afternoon......
    You beat me to it... And it looks like the organisers of Chirac's funeral did the same to BoJo.

I have an amusing image in my mind of him turning up to an empty church after everyone else has left. Boris Johnson: 'a born winner'.
  • Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    Worth every penny.

600k is the figure I have seen, but there are only 200 working days a year
  • Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    I concur. He’s at the peak of his career, and near the peak of his profession.
    edited September 2019

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    £600k, plus eight weeks off, and he got a country house as a bonus one year.

The publisher has told the editor that Matt leaving would be considered a resigning matter for said editor, and he has standing written offers from both the Mail and the Sun.

He’s the highest paid employee at the Telegraph group, earns more than the editor.

Nice work if you can get it!
    edited September 2019
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

The publisher has told the editor that Matt leaving would be considered a resigning matter for said editor, and he has standing written offers from both the Mail and the Sun.

He’s the highest paid employee at the Telegraph group, earns more than the editor.

Well to be fair, he is pretty the only decent thing about the Telegraph these days. The paper and the website are a shit show.

Also, having to do those cartoons every day, the pressure to have an funny idea every single (working) day must be huge.

I have plenty of days where it feels like a did diddly squat, certainly nothing to show the world.
  • spudgfsh said:

Byronic said:

Not the ones who have nasty sectarian avatars then?
    You still banging on about the Glorious Revolution again? It was one of the greatest moments in our history - I hope you're objecting on some kind of jacobite ground.
    AndyJS said:
    Tory majority 12

Tories 331
    Labour 213
    SNP 51
    LDs 33

Saves us having to trawl through the cesspit of Twitter ourselves!
  • AndyJS said:
    Prediction: Con 331, Lab 213, SNP 51, Lib Dem 33
    Conservative majority of 12 seats

Only 8 Unionist seats in Scotland, out of 59.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    edited September 2019
    It’s clear now the government is either monumentally stupid or has never been serious about getting a deal. Both are live possibilities. I incline to the second, just because no government could be that stupid. Could it?

Er... hasn't Chirac's funeral already taken place today?
    Sorry, wrong tense. Should be ‘planned’.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,232

Shortage of No Deal backers:

Best prices - No Deal Brexit

No (WA ratified, A50 extended or A50 revoked) 1/5
    Yes (UK leaves EU in 2019 without WA) 4/1

Stuart, I'm going to be away from home for a few days and so cannot deal currency. In case the SHTF and I break out the canned food and shotguns, what are the best prices for No Deal in High Street bookmakers? (As opposed to fancy-dan online accounts). I think from the headlines that Johnson really is going to fuck it up and we really are going to have No Deal, so a bet might actually be a good idea.

edited September 2019
    ITV News: there won't be a no confidence vote this week.
  • TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584

Yes but it’s not difficult to type search #fbpe into twitter to get the Scott P experience.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Well to be fair, he is pretty the only decent thing about the Telegraph these days. The paper and the website are a shit show.
    Oh, and of course his highly-paid work ends up immediately on Twitter every night.

Yes, their website is a total mess, full of clickbait articles and ‘comment’ over genuine news. Bill Deedes would turn in his grave, etc...

ScottP has posted no fewer than 6 copy pastes from Twitter in this page of posts alone, with no attempt at commentary, elucidation, or engaging in discussion with other posters. Could you calm down please? PB isn't a retweet.

You can configure your browser so that none of the embeds appear.

That way you can avoid all of the breaking news and betting opportunities.

You're welcome...
  • Scott_P said:

twitter.com/TimesPictures/status/1178780762000314374

So we are back to the May approach, hoping that MPs cave at the last minute. They won't.

It’s clear now the government is either monumentally stupid or has never been serious about getting a deal. Both are live possibilities. I incline to the second, just because no government could be that stupid. Could it?

The EU need to shut down the negotiations and put an end to this sham .

Bozo and others are going through the motions and have no intention of coming forward with realistic proposals .

I think you may be underestimating this government. :wink:
    edited September 2019
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, and of course his highly-paid work ends up immediately on Twitter every night.

Yes, their website is a total mess, full of clickbait articles and ‘comment’ over genuine news. Bill Deedes would turn in his grave, etc...
    Yes, brilliant though he is, I just can't imagine he drives that many clicks to the website (and even if he does, they won't spend long there as the format and content is terrible).

AndyJS said:
    Prediction: Con 331, Lab 213, SNP 51, Lib Dem 33
    Conservative majority of 12 seats

Only 8 Unionist seats in Scotland, out of 59.
    Still better than the only 3 Unionists seats in Scotland that was the case in 2015
This discussion has been closed.