Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » MPs back the deal but block the timetable

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

I see Tory Swinsons number one choice was congratulating Jester and saying if bill given 7 days rather than 3 he would vote for it.

Tory Swinson really doesn't have a clue

Tory Swinson is still better than Jeremy Corbyn.
    But a vote for Tory Swinson leads to PM Jestet and hard BREXIT.

It's either PM Jester or Jezza and a 2nd Referendum
    I’m voting for Tory Swinson regardless.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Scott_P said:
    Open to naked gerrymandering by the left, he means?
    Misuse of the word gerrymandering there, just saying.
    So you mean the left won't seek to amend the bill to improve their electoral chances? Great!
    I am sure they will. But that's not gerrymandering...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gerrymander
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2019

I see Tory Swinsons number one choice was congratulating Jester and saying if bill given 7 days rather than 3 he would vote for it.

Except in a Tory/LD marginal. If I lived in (for example) Cheadle, I'd vote LD, and I'm a paid-up Labour member!

Fortunately, I live in a Tory/Lab marginal (or atleast, it was a marginal before "toxic" Corbyn increased the Labour majority from 93 to more than 9k last time).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Every Lab voter on here has accepted that Lab is currently unelectable.

Hey with the plan.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Scott_P said:
    So you mean the left won't seek to amend the bill to improve their electoral chances? Great!

Excuse me. How about "naked rigging of the electoral system"?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

nico67 said:

Labour have to agree an election now . If they really want to fight to get a better deal or another EU ref then they are duty bound to accept the election request .

It does concern me though weatherwise , it would now be just Sod’s law that we’ll see blizzards on Election Day !

Just out of interest, who exactly is it you think wants an election?
    I mean, I do, but let's put that to one side.
    I think the true answer to that is probably the SNP and the Lib Dems. But not Johnson, not the Tories and not Labour. Johnson doesn't want to risk being kicked out after just a few months. The Tories, despite their polling leads, are not in as strong a position as they were in 2017 and neither the deal nor Johnson personally are likely to stand up well to the scrutiny of an election campaign. And Labour is not in a good position in the polls and does not have a clear path to an improvement.
    The Lib Dems do not want an election. I spoke with a LD MP in the last few days about this and it was emphatic.
    My interpretation of the reason is that they're afraid the Tories could win a majority and kill Remain for good. Whilst Corbyn's at the helm of Labour, the Lib Dems would be risking selling their main policy for a handful of seats for maybe a couple of years. Is that worth it?
    The up side for the Lib Dems is they are in a perfect position to build from a tiny base on the back of being the only English out and out Remain party.
    Er, they do have some Scots MPs - not a trivial component of the party, including their leader. Not in a position to be out and out Engnats. Britnats yes, under Ms Swinson.

As a matter of interest, does Ms S come over as English or Scots on TV? I have a tin ear for accents.
    Scottish imo, not very broad though.
    Thanks. That has some bearing on her chances of finding a southern constituency, and whether she should ever wish to do so.
    In my experience Scottish accents generally come across really well in England. Better than many regional English accents do, that's for sure.
    Call me a little Englander, but I'd now never vote for a party that had a Scots/Welsh /Irish leader. The union is done and dusted.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Didn't the DUP also oppose May's Deal ?

If so how has Boris 'ditched' them ?

BoZo secured the deal with the EU by putting a border in the Irish sea
    So people who voted against May's Deal have now voted against the BorisDeal.

No change there then and nobody been ditched.
    But Bozo went DUP conference and promised that there would be no customs border in the Irish Sea. And then met Vradakar and agreed to put a customs border in the Irish Sea. A complete betrayal. Even May was not that brazen.
    Boris did though produce another plan first which didn't get a warm welcome in Dublin or elsewhere.

Ultimately the DUP are on a long, slow but downward escalator - if the union means so much to them they need to support full integration within the UK.

But unionism gets ignored when its an inconvenience to them - see abortion as an example.
    Yes, I think you've nailed it.

"We're BRITS damn it! But we don't want your stinking abortion or gay marriage laws. We're not THOSE KIND of Brits"
    *Sigh!*

How often do I have to repeat this?

The DUP are more like American evangelicals on gays/abortion/marriage. It is not that they ignore Unionism - it simply does not figure in the social spectrum.

On politics they loathe the Republic because it was seen as a proxy for the Catholic church. Like many evangelical types they have no time for "papists".

So when you put a border down the Irish Sea you are cutting them off from Britishness and forcing them towards a majority Catholic country.

There is only one way they will respond.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    blueblue said:

Danny565 said:

Not just votes at 16, there's probably a majority in the Commons to give votes to EU citizens as well.

Like I said, a naked gerrymander.
    Gerrymandering Is a practice intended to establish a political advantage for a particular party by manipulating electoral district geographic boundaries. That is not what you are talking about. Extending the franchise is just extending democracy. Why are you scared of 16 year olds voting?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,709
    edited October 2019
    OH MY GOODNESS! PART 1

@williamglenn wins his bet from @SeanT !!!
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_P said:
    Dear EU diplomats

It is unlikely that there is a brexit deal that can command Government support and gain enough opposition support in a hung parliament. Therefore the only way a deal does get through is through an election.

Unless you want all this to come back at an EU summit every 3 months and prevent the EU from functioning properly
    No just give us an extension to 2200 that will resolve everything, we can then go back to worry about important things rather than pathetic sovereignty arguments
    As I understand it you don't even live in the UK so no surprise you don't care anout the place as long as it keeps sending you money.
    I have every right to care about what happens in the UK because it will affect my and my children’s rights, the UK do not send me a penny that I haven’t earned or contributed to over the years. I think having paid x,xxx,xxx in tax in my working life I have a right to my £140/week pension as much as anyone. If We all had to come back to the UK I think we might bugger a few things up.
    So I was right. You don't care so long as they keep sending you your money. No wonder you don't understand Leave voters with an attitude like that.

I don’t give a shit about my £140/week it really is irrelevant I don’t get anything I haven’t earned, possibly in more ways than you have ever done.
    I doubt that very much.

Moreover you didn't earn any of it. You paid into a system to support the pensioners at he time you were working. Just like the rest of us you were paying it forward in the hope you might get something back when your time came around. But that was it. No guarantees and no promises.

On top of that you then decided to bugger off to another country. Entirely your choice but you can't then moan if things don't turn out the way you hoped.
    I presume you feel the same applies to frustrated Leavers who have, er... left the country?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

You aren't that bothered about stopping BREXIT or a 2nd Referendum then.

What's Tory Swinsons other policies BTW?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    edited October 2019
    Scott_P said:
    I've thought about this but even if Parliament amended the bill for votes for 16 year olds how would it practiically be possible to organize that within 5 weeks of a general election campaign (polling cards and postal votes go out after three weeks) ?

It's the sort of change that would take months and months to sort out practically and seems like an emptry threat to me.

And ditto with changing the voting system.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Where is Byronic anyway?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

nico67 said:

Labour have to agree an election now . If they really want to fight to get a better deal or another EU ref then they are duty bound to accept the election request .

It does concern me though weatherwise , it would now be just Sod’s law that we’ll see blizzards on Election Day !

I think the true answer to that is probably the SNP and the Lib Dems. But not Johnson, not the Tories and not Labour. Johnson doesn't want to risk being kicked out after just a few months. The Tories, despite their polling leads, are not in as strong a position as they were in 2017 and neither the deal nor Johnson personally are likely to stand up well to the scrutiny of an election campaign. And Labour is not in a good position in the polls and does not have a clear path to an improvement.
    The Lib Dems do not want an election. I spoke with a LD MP in the last few days about this and it was emphatic.
    My interpretation of the reason is that they're afraid the Tories could win a majority and kill Remain for good. Whilst Corbyn's at the helm of Labour, the Lib Dems would be risking selling their main policy for a handful of seats for maybe a couple of years. Is that worth it?
    The up side for the Lib Dems is they are in a perfect position to build from a tiny base on the back of being the only English out and out Remain party.
    Er, they do have some Scots MPs - not a trivial component of the party, including their leader. Not in a position to be out and out Engnats. Britnats yes, under Ms Swinson.

As a matter of interest, does Ms S come over as English or Scots on TV? I have a tin ear for accents.
    Thanks. That has some bearing on her chances of finding a southern constituency, and whether she should ever wish to do so.
    In my experience Scottish accents generally come across really well in England. Better than many regional English accents do, that's for sure.
    Call me a little Englander, but I'd now never vote for a party that had a Scots/Welsh /Irish leader. The union is done and dusted.
    It's the biggest problem I have with voting Lib Dem at the moment. Jo Swinson seems too quick to make digs at Nicola Sturgeon that just seem irrelevant to English politics.
  • Options

Proportional Representation for 1.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    viewcode said:

OH MY GOODNESS! PART 1

Barring a veto from Macron... :blush:
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,709
    OH MY GOODNESS! PART 2

Chris Stuckmann did "Ghostwatch"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_byOqyFrk
  • Options

Where is Byronic anyway?

New Orleans.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Scott_P said:

No. Gerrymandering is purely about dividing a geographic area into voting districts in such a way as to give an unfair advantage to one party in an election.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663
    edited October 2019

I can't say that makes you a l.e. [edit] How could such a leader function?

The EVEL laws really put a spoke into the notion of union - that all MPs are equal. Patently they are not. Another of Mr Cameron's legacies.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Talking tough once again then not delivering, is he Boris Johnson or something?
    Worth watching Macron. Not for Brexit purposes but generally, he is on something of a journey if you look at his recent policy changes
    Does he really want to force E.U. leaders to attend another summit . He’s hardly flavour of the month after his block on further accession talks .

• Options
    viewcode said:

OH MY GOODNESS! PART 1

How byronic that Sean's not here to comment, eh?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I've thought about this but even if Parliament amended the bill for votes for 16 year olds how would it practiically be possible to organize that within 5 weeks of a general election campaign (polling cards and postal votes go out after three weeks)
    If we're able to make quick arrangements for ~32m people to vote in an election within a few weeks, why would making arrangements for an extra ~800k 16/17-year-olds be so difficult?
  • Options

In favour of fracking? It's a potential vulnerability. Oh yes, and saying it is impossible to have indyref 2 and yet adopting a position on Brexit which would authorise instant Scottish UDI if she had any consistency.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

DougSeal said:

blueblue said:

Scott_P said:
    I don’t think that the bill will include any redrawing of constituencies to anyone’s advantage. And what do the Tories have to fear from votes at 16?
    Aside from the fact that many children are just a bit gullible and may easily fall for woke, utopian fantasies?
    We don’t stop the elderly voting just because many of them suffer from dementia and are equally open to manipulation. Sixteen year olds voted in the Scottish Referendum and, presumably, that went the way you had hoped.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_P said:
    Dear EU diplomats

It is unlikely that there is a brexit deal that can command Government support and gain enough opposition support in a hung parliament. Therefore the only way a deal does get through is through an election.

Unless you want all this to come back at an EU summit every 3 months and prevent the EU from functioning properly
    No just give us an extension to 2200 that will resolve everything, we can then go back to worry about important things rather than pathetic sovereignty arguments
    As I understand it you don't even live in the UK so no surprise you don't care anout the place as long as it keeps sending you money.
    I have every right to care about what happens in the UK because it will affect my and my children’s rights, the UK do not send me a penny that I haven’t earned or contributed to over the years. I think having paid x,xxx,xxx in tax in my working life I have a right to my £140/week pension as much as anyone. If We all had to come back to the UK I think we might bugger a few things up.
    So I was right. You don't care so long as they keep sending you your money. No wonder you don't understand Leave voters with an attitude like that.

I don’t give a shit about my £140/week it really is irrelevant I don’t get anything I haven’t earned, possibly in more ways than you have ever done.
    I doubt that very much.

Moreover you didn't earn any of it. You paid into a system to support the pensioners at he time you were working. Just like the rest of us you were paying it forward in the hope you might get something back when your time came around. But that was it. No guarantees and no promises.

On top of that you then decided to bugger off to another country. Entirely your choice but you can't then moan if things don't turn out the way you hoped.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I've thought about this but even if Parliament amended the bill for votes for 16 year olds how would it practiically be possible to organize that within 5 weeks of a general election campaign (polling cards and postal votes go out after three weeks)
    If we're able to make quick arrangements for ~32m people to vote in an election within a few weeks, why would making arrangements for an extra ~800k 16/17-year-olds be so difficult?
    It'd possibly help parties of the left at the margins but turnout amongst that age group would be abysmal.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

nico67 said:

I am not going to call you a little Englander but I do think it's sad you care two hoots about what nationality someone is if they are the right person for the job.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    ydoethur said:

Johnson: Fuck Remainers
    Tory Swinson: Fuck Leavers
    Corbyn: Let’s stop No Deal and then treat both sides with respect and have a public vote

I am for the one trying to deal with this horrible mess and to bring the divided country together too

Corbyn is the only adult in the room

Corbyn is a divisive and abusive bully who has never clarified in his own mind what he wants or how to get it. He is also a serial liar and populist comparable to Trump.

He is not trying to deal with the mess. He is trying to exploit it. He is also failing because he isn’t very bright and has no idea what to do.
    I misread the name as Johnson. It fitted.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Talking tough once again then not delivering, is he Boris Johnson or something?
    Worth watching Macron. Not for Brexit purposes but generally, he is on something of a journey if you look at his recent policy changes
    Does he really want to force E.U. leaders to attend another summit . He’s hardly flavour of the month after his block on further accession talks .

Like I said, worth watching. Hes a different politician since the G7
  • Options
    GE is 12.12.19 imo
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Because they aren't on the electoral register?

At the moment only those aged 18 and above are on the electoral register.

They will have to be added to the electoral register first which would take local authorities months and months to sort out?

It would certainly take a lot longer to sort out than a five week general election campaign.

And switching the voting system from FPTP to *something* else in five weeks would be even more complicated.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    The same Labour party which opposes boundary changes want to introduce other change that might work in their favour - colour me surprised
  • Options

I am not going to call you a little Englander but I do think it's sad you care two hoots about what nationality someone is if they are the right person for the job.
    That's not fair - we don't know that TFS is Celtophobic. There is a real issue thanks to EVEL about havign a Scottish leader who is by definition not allowed to vote in major issues, on the current state of asymmetric devolution.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    It'd possibly help parties of the left at the margins but turnout amongst that age group would be abysmal.
    I think if it had been in place at the last election, it could've swung a handful of seats from Tories to Labour, plus one or two seats from Tory to SNP, which could've been enough to make Corbyn PM.

Of course, a new election currently does not look like it will be as close as last time, though.
  • Options

GE is 12.12.19 imo

Normally 7am - 10pm

Not for 1 second around lunchtime
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767

GE is 12.12.19 imo

I'd go for 05dec.

Want to bet an unsolicited so-and-so is very wise post?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    nico67 said:

Although I want this over desperately, I seriously believe that if / when this Deal goes through the UK will have dissolved inside 10 years.

So I am having a small whisky tonight for another stay of execution.

I understand what you mean . Let us celebrate that we’re still going to be in the EU a bit longer .

I bet Donald Tusk was very happy when he saw the result of the programme motion .

What a lovely man , a true inspiration who fought against Communism in Poland .

FWIW I think there is a good chance that the last few days have seen peak Brexit. I have thought for some time that if Johnson did not succeed in taking us out on 31st October we would probably never leave, and I still hold that view. Johnson's deal will not now get through parliament, the second reading vote was driven by virtue-signalling Labour MPs who cannot be relied upon to see it through. And if the bill gets as far as the House of Lords there will be a blizzard of amendments which the government will find it very hard to reverse.

So the only way forward for leavers is to try and get a Tory majority through a general election. But this is far from guaranteed. Johnson spent most of the Tory leadership campaign hiding behind the sofa and when he did emerge he was obviously uncomfortable under scrutiny and unable to answer even the most obvious and predictable questions. And then there is the trust issue. It is quite possible that both Johnson and his deal will melt in the heat of an election campaign.

And any other election result apart from a Tory majority is likely to result in the reversal of Brexit. If the Tories do not win the other parties (all of which will run on a revoke and/or referendum platform) will say that the electorate has rejected Brexit and either revoke or hold another referendum. Either of which will kill the idea altogether.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

It's the biggest problem I have with voting Lib Dem at the moment. Jo Swinson seems too quick to make digs at Nicola Sturgeon that just seem irrelevant to English politics.

Yeah, it puts me off, too. Sturgeon has been very good these past few years imo. Swinson is looking to her own seat, though, which is understandable. Could imagine the Lib Dems doing really well but losing their leader.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    The same Labour party which opposes boundary changes want to introduce other change that might work in their favour - colour me surprised
    Scotland already in favour of votes at 16 got to be worth allowing Jester a GE with that change.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    GIN1138 said:
    I really think Boris (and Corbyn) should try for 28th November, which is still viable (just) if they agree tomorrow. I don't think anyone wants a December General Election apart from us political wonks.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2019
    Average of polls published during the last 10 days (7 in total):

Con 36%
    Lab 25%
    LD 18%
    BRX 11%
    Grn 4%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

At the moment only those aged 18 and above are on the eletoral register

They will have to be added to the electoral register first which would take local authorities months and months to sort out?
    That’s not quite true. Sixteen year olds are allowed on the register ready for when they turn 18 - they are just not allowed to vote until then. It would be pretty straightforward to send polling cards to all the 16 & 17 year olds on the register.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I've thought about this but even if Parliament amended the bill for votes for 16 year olds how would it practiically be possible to organize that within 5 weeks of a general election campaign (polling cards and postal votes go out after three weeks) ?

It's the sort of change that would take months and months to sort out practically and seems like an emptry threat to me.

And ditto with changing the voting system.
    A one line bill could also be amended to set a GE date sufficient to give time for such actions, of course.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Oh BJO, I remember when we used to post daily YouGov polls with Red Ed winning and the words "tick tock".

I thought you learned the perils of being hyper partisan from the 2015 experience
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    nichomar said:

The EU leadership appear ready to progress a 31 January extension...

It's almost as if the Benn Act architects had pre-agreed the best extension date with them. :wink:

Now now they will be called traitors next
    That date was the one which secured the largest number of votes for the Benn Act. I buy the suggestion that the EU following it is the most neutral-looking stance they can take.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

If you don’t like that, get rid of Jezza.
    Otherwise sensible folk refuse to be forced into a choice between two shit alternatives.
  • Options

GE is 12.12.19 imo

Normally 7am - 10pm

School kids to vote in their lunch hour!

I would also tack on compulsory voting.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

At the moment only those aged 18 and above are on the eletoral register

That’s not quite true. Sixteen year olds are allowed on the register ready for when they turn 18 - they are just not allowed to vote until then. It would be pretty straightforward to send polling cards to all the 16 & 17 year olds on the register.

Oh! :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    I really think Boris (and Corbyn) should try for 28th November, which is still viable (just) if they agree tomorrow. I don't think anyone wants a December General Election apart from us political wonks.
    Why rush it? Cui bono?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I think if it had been in place at the last election, it could've swung a handful of seats from Tories to Labour, plus one or two seats from Tory to SNP, which could've been enough to make Corbyn PM.

Of course, a new election currently does not look like it will be as close as last time, though.
    As has been said an election in the 3 month time frame would not enable votes at 16 or for europeans, so it is either GE on the existing electoral roll or Boris's deal which cannot be amended as no time to negotiate with the EU
  • Options

GE is 12.12.19 imo

Normally 7am - 10pm

And a complete end to postal voting.

Smart phone voting only from 2024
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

It would certainly take a lot longer to sort out than a five week general election campaign.

And switching the voting system from FPTP to *something* else in five weeks would be even more complicated.
    I can't find the date for the 2017 election, but for the Brexit referendum, people could register up until 8 June (two weeks before polling day).

If the election was on 12 Dec, there'd be plenty of time.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    ... and Macron could send another one saying "Je ne veux pas vraiment accepter ça mais ..."
  • Options
    Floater said:

Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Given the new Tory voting demographic I’m not sure the Tories will be in favour of boundary changes either.

• Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    DougSeal said:

blueblue said:

DougSeal said:

blueblue said:

Scott_P said:
    I don’t think that the bill will include any redrawing of constituencies to anyone’s advantage. And what do the Tories have to fear from votes at 16?
    Aside from the fact that many children are just a bit gullible and may easily fall for woke, utopian fantasies?
    We don’t stop the elderly voting just because many of them suffer from dementia and are equally open to manipulation. Sixteen year olds voted in the Scottish Referendum and, presumably, that went the way you had hoped.
    Rigging of the electoral system by parties that didn't win the last election seems a little undemocratic, no?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    "compouter" trolling Tories

IoS banging on about Labour ground game

Energy price freeze branded unworkable

Those were the days
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Scott_P said:

No. Gerrymandering is purely about dividing a geographic area into voting districts in such a way as to give an unfair advantage to one party in an election.
    I imagine, given how people tend to use it pretty liberally thesedays (and not all on one side either) that it is a word whose meaning will expand over time to mean any measure designed to give an electoral advantage to one party in an election.

Also blueblue seemed to be accepting your point, hence rewording it to not refer to gerrymandering.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

nico67 said:

What about a Septic as leader?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Otherwise sensible folk refuse to be forced into a choice between two shit alternatives.
    That is the choice though.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Andrew said:
    Yes technical extension if to get the legislation through , but if there’s an election they’ll agree to the three month extension .
  • Options

nichomar said:

The EU leadership appear ready to progress a 31 January extension...

It's almost as if the Benn Act architects had pre-agreed the best extension date with them. :wink:

Now now they will be called traitors next
    That date was the one which secured the largest number of votes for the Benn Act. I buy the suggestion that the EU following it is the most neutral-looking stance they can take.
    Yes it is the only date unless the HOC votes otherwise.
  • Options
    Andrew said:
    Unless they opt for the stupid 'have a short extension, and if not agreed by then a longer extension will come into play' plan from earlier this year, they can be as open to it as they like whilst being willing to accept any old cobbler. As we've seen very few people are willing to die in a ditch over a political point, and they'd do it for that?
  • Options
    On votes for 16 year old I would expect them to vote lib dem or green and not assist labour at all
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Oh BJO, I remember when we used to post daily YouGov polls with Red Ed winning and the words "tick tock".

I thought you learned the perils of being hyper partisan from the 2015 experience
    Never used tick tock in any post ever.

EICIPM was me.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

nico67 said:

I

As I said, the union is done and dusted. I'm English, and a Celt has no more claim to be my PM than I have to be their's. Things are changing rapidly. I don't think (or even care) if Brexit will happen or not, in fact I'm actually a mildly born again Remainer but we have to face up to what's happening. Lets all be good neighbours inside the EU :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Scott_P said:

I imagine, given how people tend to use it pretty liberally thesedays (and not all on one side either) that it is a word whose meaning will expand over time to mean any measure designed to give an electoral advantage to one party in an election.

Also blueblue seemed to be accepting your point, hence rewording it to not refer to gerrymandering.
    Yes fair point, I mis-read the post. Apologies @blueblue
  • Options
    Reconstruction of the face of a medieval Aberdonian, posted without comment....
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-50138379
  • Options
    Freggles said:

"compouter" trolling Tories

IoS banging on about Labour ground game

Energy price freeze branded unworkable

Those were the days

Good times..
  • Options

GE is 12.12.19 imo

Normally 7am - 10pm

And a complete end to postal voting.

Smart phone voting only from 2024
    I won't be happy until I can cast my ballot through the only method of truly being able to get across complex emotions sufficiently - interpretative dance.

How does one say 'I agree with many of your policies but have misgivings about certain of them, and on balance will support you for now' through strategic use of arm flairs and hip thrusts?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

nico67 said:

Mr Johnson?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

On votes for 16 year old I would expect them to vote lib dem or green and not assist labour at all

Well quite.

Why it’s assumed 16 year olds would vote for a slightly dog-eared 70 year old trot and not for the bright young things in the Green Party is beyond me.

• Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Danny565 said:

Not just votes at 16, there's probably a majority in the Commons to give votes to EU citizens as well.

Rigging the electorate to get the result you want is wholly undemocratic. Voters should choose their politicians. Politicians shouldn't choose their voters.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

GE is 12.12.19 imo

Normally 7am - 10pm

I wouldn't mind compulsory voting as long as there's a "None Of The Above" option - which is why it'll never happen as "None Of The Above" would win a landslide every time. ;)
  • Options
    Leaving today’s debate with one thought. It’s amazing how remain voting entitled voters who are now living abroad are vilified by leave voting Torys where as leave voting Torys living abroad aren’t criticized.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Reconstruction of the face of a medieval Aberdonian, posted without comment....
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-50138379

Plus ça change.

https://committees.aberdeencity.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=133
  • Options
    My eldest Grand Daughter is 16 on 12.12.19.

She loves Jezza.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    viewcode said:

OH MY GOODNESS! PART 2

Chris Stuckmann did "Ghostwatch"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_byOqyFrk

Ghostwatch is one of the scariest things I've ever watched. I finally got round to watching it about a year ago, although I was aware of it at the time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Noo said:

Yeah, it puts me off, too. Sturgeon has been very good these past few years imo. Swinson is looking to her own seat, though, which is understandable. Could imagine the Lib Dems doing really well but losing their leader.
    Precisely the opposite for me, Swinson standing up to the SNP and Sturgeon is about the only good thing she is doing at the moment, she is at least a staunch Unionist even if also a staunch diehard Remainer
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GE is 12.12.19 imo

Normally 7am - 10pm

I wouldn't mind compulsory voting as long as there's a "None Of The Above" option - which is whjy it'll never happen as "None Of The Above" would win a landslide every time. ;)
    Aye maybe
  • Options
    NorthstarNorthstar Posts: 140
    kle4 said:

Andrew said:
    Unless they opt for the stupid 'have a short extension, and if not agreed by then a longer extension will come into play' plan from earlier this year, they can be as open to it as they like whilst being willing to accept any old cobbler. As we've seen very few people are willing to die in a ditch over a political point, and they'd do it for that?
    Macron might reasonably assume that a 3 month extension will accomplish precisely nothing, except continue to distract the EU from its many pressing issues. I think Tusk is trying to bounce everyone into agreeing to 3 months, but I wonder if Macron, Orban and a few others might hold out for something shorter.

Probably not, given everyone’s addiction to can kicking!
  • Options
    Andrew said:
    That is the smartest move. This deal has a parliamentary majority. Give enough time to scrutinise it a bit more but no more.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Noo said:

Precisely the opposite for me, Swinson standing up to the SNP and Sturgeon is about the only good thing she is doing at the moment, she is at least a staunch Unionist even if also a staunch diehard Remainer
    You do realise that 'staunch' has a very specific meaning in that context in Scotland? Not one normally associated with the LDs?
  • Options

Freggles said:

Never used tick tock in any post ever.

EICIPM was me.
    You have (see above).
  • Options
    Are there any hard studies on gullibility / credulity by age groups?
    It often gets brought up as an unexamined assumption that 16-17 year olds are more gullible than adults, but I don't think that's necessarily true. I think that there are elements of experience that come with age, but then again younger people can be quite savvy to new developments and older people take time to cotton on. You hear a lot about older people getting scammed.

I've been trying to google it just now, and I came across this:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-older-adults-are-too-trusting/
    but it's hardly conclusive. There were also some non-scientific articles about younger folk being more easily fooled.

It would be ironic if all the people saying younger folk are too gullible to vote were just repeating something which turned out to be false :D
  • Options

Nigelb said:

That is the choice though.
    I’m pleased to see you agree with the characterisation, but it’s a choice I must decline, thanks.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited October 2019

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

nico67 said:

That would have ruled out Michael Howard, John Smith, Neil Kinnock, Tony Blair, IDS, Gordon Brown, Charles Kennedy etc all of whom were born in Wales or Scotland
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

nico67 said:

I tan improvement.

While I agree with the sentiment, it's another thing which is not unusual for people to care about nationality even to the point of legislating on it. Shouldn't make a difference when we're all part of the wider UK Union, but as we've seen from Australia some places will kick you out of office for holding dual nationality you didn't even know you had, so even being a citizen of a country is not enough for them!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I can't find the date for the 2017 election, but for the Brexit referendum, people could register up until 8 June (two weeks before polling day).

If the election was on 12 Dec, there'd be plenty of time.
    Any change to the electorate should be done with a ten year delay to prevent any current politicians benefitting.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    Gabs2 said:

Andrew said:
    That is the smartest move. This deal has a parliamentary majority. Give enough time to scrutinise it a bit more but no more.
    This deal may not have a parliamentary majority - so far it's only got one as the nasties haven't been fully identified yet.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

nico67 said:

Do many British parties have American leaders?
  • Options
    Noo said:

Are there any hard studies on gullibility / credulity by age groups?
    It often gets brought up as an unexamined assumption that 16-17 year olds are more gullible than adults, but I don't think that's necessarily true. I think that there are elements of experience that come with age, but then again younger people can be quite savvy to new developments and older people take time to cotton on. You hear a lot about older people getting scammed.

I've been trying to google it just now, and I came across this:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-older-adults-are-too-trusting/
    but it's hardly conclusive. There were also some non-scientific articles about younger folk being more easily fooled.

It would be ironic if all the people saying younger folk are too gullible to vote were just repeating something which turned out to be false :D

Wouldn’t say gullible. Impulsive is probably a better description.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Andrew said:
    Perhaps Boris should continue debate on it, see off various amendments, in order to prove that a bit more time is all that is needed.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Andrew said:
    "Several" being "around ninety"??
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

nico67 said:

That would have ruled out Michael Howard, Lloyd George, Douglas Home, Tony Blair, IDS, Gordon Brown, Charles Kennedy etc all of whom were born in Wales or Scotland
    Your party passed EVEL.
This discussion has been closed.