Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sell BREX, Buy PC, GRN & LDs – My current Commons seats spread

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited October 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sell BREX, Buy PC, GRN & LDs – My current Commons seats spread bets

With December 2019 general election looking more likely I have just placed another Commons seats spread bet with SportingIndex.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited October 2019
    First!
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    Second like Swinson
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    PC are likely to lose Ceredigion.

They are embroiled in internal conflict in their key target seats of Ynys Mon, Cardiff West and Llanelli.

Despite the view from leafy pb.com-shire, the PC/LibDem Remain alliance is likely to be unpopular in most of Wales, and is likely to alienate a goodish chunk of the PC voters.

PC will go backwards at this election.
  • Options
    Remarkable that Lab at 210 are not a bargain buy, even in 1983 they got 209
  • Options
    I have not detected much in the media today from Farage. That is interesting as he and TBP might be in cahoots with BJ. If the TBP and Tories have some sort of electoral pact, then, half a dozen safe Tory seats who have had their MPs whip withdrawn are up for grabs. Would BJ do a deal?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    Labour cannot, absolutely cannot be seen to be blocking an election now. They might get away with it today, but if they don’t back SNP/LD the attack lines are already written.
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112

Pierrot said:

“A vote for the LDs is the only way to stop Brexit” sounds like “If you don’t give us what we want, the country gets it”. I’ll be surprised if the LDs score more than 20% or Labour less than 32%, assuming Seumas runs as competent a campaign as he did in 2017. For about a century the main enemy of the LDs has been Labour.

Labour has dropped the Brexit ball. Can't blame the LibDems for running with it.

In great swathes of the country, LibDems are now likely to replace Labour as the party challenging the Tories.
    I don't blame the LDs at all. Their positioning is intelligent and it may double their 2017 voteshare of 8% which was up from the 7% they achieved in 2015 at the end of their five years in government. But they won't get anywhere near the 25% they achieved in 1983. The Tories are not as popular as they are kidding themselves. Their leader is widely viewed as a dishonest buffoon, more so in both respects than any leader of a major political party for a long time. And in many minds it is Labour, not the LDs or Brexit Party or the Greens, who are the opposite party to the Tories. Apart from traditional red versus blue with yellow in the middle, it is the Labour leader who sits opposite the PM at the despatch box and leads for the MPs on the Speaker's left at PMQ. That means a great deal. The polling will go towards Labour as soon as Boris Johnson "does a Theresa" and at long last manages to get enough help to bring about a GE in his quest to get a majority.
  • Options
  • Options
    I wonder if williamglenn could lose his bet by 1 hour although it could be best considered a gentleman's draw?

If there is an early Dec election then it gives time to pass the deal before Christmas and we leave at 23:00 on 31/12/19.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Boris likely gets the GE he wants before 31st October with a huge poll lead and having not sent any letter signed by him requesting extension, so he can blame it on opposition MPs and deselected Tories
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

They are embroiled in internal conflict in their key target seats of Ynys Mon, Cardiff West and Llanelli.

Despite the view from leafy pb.com-shire, the PC/LibDem Remain alliance is likely to be unpopular in most of Wales, and is likely to alienate a goodish chunk of the PC voters.

It's a four way marginal, so who do you think will win the seat?
  • Options

I wonder if williamglenn could lose his bet by 1 hour although it could be best considered a gentleman's draw?

If there is an early Dec election then it gives time to pass the deal before Christmas and we leave at 23:00 on 31/12/19.

If we leave at midnight, who won?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris likely gets the GE he wants before 31st October with a huge poll lead and having not sent any letter signed by him requesting extension, so he can blame it on opposition MPs and deselected Tories
    Its not a case of blaming it on opposition MPs and deselected Tories - they literally are the MPs responsible. Actions have consequences and an election with the whip removed from Tories is fair game.
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

How does his poll lead compare with Theresa May's when she called an election with Opposition help two years ago? And he has the same aim too (albeit she actually had a majority): winning some seats so as to achieve success with a Tory Brexit. If I were a Tory I wouldn't be anywhere near as optimistic as many Tories are.
  • Options

Although in '83 they got a lot of Scottish seats. And those ain't coming back in 2019.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ceredigion? The LibDems, I am sorry to say.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    HYUFD said:

But he will resign rather than be forced into an extension.

We know that because you told us so many times in the past few weeks.
  • Options
    Pierrot said:

Pierrot said:

“A vote for the LDs is the only way to stop Brexit” sounds like “If you don’t give us what we want, the country gets it”. I’ll be surprised if the LDs score more than 20% or Labour less than 32%, assuming Seumas runs as competent a campaign as he did in 2017. For about a century the main enemy of the LDs has been Labour.

Labour has dropped the Brexit ball. Can't blame the LibDems for running with it.

In great swathes of the country, LibDems are now likely to replace Labour as the party challenging the Tories.
    I don't blame the LDs at all. Their positioning is intelligent and it may double their 2017 voteshare of 8% which was up from the 7% they achieved in 2015 at the end of their five years in government. But they won't get anywhere near the 25% they achieved in 1983. The Tories are not as popular as they are kidding themselves. Their leader is widely viewed as a dishonest buffoon, more so in both respects than any leader of a major political party for a long time. And in many minds it is Labour, not the LDs or Brexit Party or the Greens, who are the opposite party to the Tories. Apart from traditional red versus blue with yellow in the middle, it is the Labour leader who sits opposite the PM at the despatch box and leads for the MPs on the Speaker's left at PMQ. That means a great deal. The polling will go towards Labour as soon as Boris Johnson "does a Theresa" and at long last manages to get enough help to bring about a GE in his quest to get a majority.
    The LDs went backwards in voteshare in 2017.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It seems to be agreed we leave at midnight western Europe time but 23:00 UK time so would presumably be 0:00 on 1 Jan 2020 in Brussels but 23:00 on 31 Dec 2019 in the UK. That makes it up to edmundintokyo to adjudicate but calling it a tie would be reasonable in my eyes.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It's pretty Remainy. There are lots of students. There won't be a Green candidate.

You're probably right.
  • Options
    Re the earlier thread I don't think SW London is the lock for the Lib Dems that some people are assuming.
    My understanding is that the Tories still think they are ahead in Putney (although I don't think they have a confirmed candidate to replace Justine yet) .The swing to LD from Labour and Tory remainers is not enough to win the seat for the LDs but is enough to see off Labour. For the same reason I understand Battersea may be in play for the Tories though there are longer term demographic change factors in play there. I would guess Wimbledon would be similar to Putney though I have no specific info on that seat.
  • Options

Re the earlier thread I don't think SW London is the lock for the Lib Dems that some people are assuming.
    My understanding is that the Tories still think they are ahead in Putney (although I don't think they have a confirmed candidate to replace Justine yet) .The swing to LD from Labour and Tory remainers is not enough to win the seat for the LDs but is enough to see off Labour. For the same reason I understand Battersea may be in play for the Tories though there are longer term demographic change factors in play there. I would guess Wimbledon would be similar to Putney though I have no specific info on that seat.

Only Richmond Park is a lock, but I think they'll win that by 5,000 votes or more.

Sutton & Cheam is possible, but a difficult ask. I think coming from third in Putney, etc., will be tough for them.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Although in '83 they got a lot of Scottish seats. And those ain't coming back in 2019.
    True, but also '83 wasn't after nearly a decade of Tory and Tory-led governments.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I said he would resign rather than request extension, he did not request an extension, just forwarded on an unsigned copy of the Benn Act with an attached letter opposing further extension.

As the weekend polls with 10%+ Tory leads show, Leavers are happy Boris did not request an extension and blame it on Remainer MPs instead
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600

TOPPING said:

2. The immediacy of the forgiveness of Boris by Leavers for failing to deliver his do or die pledge.

It's too early to judge that. Many people will only notice when we're still in the EU in November, and some not even then.
    Ever since he was elected it's been an amusing sport for Leavers to watch Remainers discussing amongst themselves why each twist of events turned out not to be the expected final straw that caused Leavers to turn on Johnson.
    True, people under-estimated Leavers' gullibility.
    I admit that the constant insults get a bit wearing, but you come to expect it here.
    It's not an insult, it's true. I am quite happy to admit that I underestimated the gullibility of people who believed the brain-dead do-or-die promise. It was plain as a pikestaff that it wasn't in his power to deliver it, and yet it won him the premiership. Leavers are now meekly accepting the line that he didn't really promise that, and pretending instead that he promised he'd do his best to deliver it.
    A promise to "brain-dead" Leavers.

I dare you to try and argue the substance of a point without demeaning those you disagree with.

Not me, I'm done with you.

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's pretty Remainy. There are lots of students. There won't be a Green candidate.

You're probably right.
    Interesting local insight - I know it was only a narrow loss in 2017 but I have reason to think the LDs will be closer to 100 seats than 50 if they get Ceredigion back.

Time to put up or shut up for the "Remain Alliance" so let's see if we really do see LD/Green/Plaid standing back. I know it will be described as principled, but I reckon a lot of it will be about saving £500 deposits in hopeless seats.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Its not a case of blaming it on opposition MPs and deselected Tories - they literally are the MPs responsible. Actions have consequences and an election with the whip removed from Tories is fair game.
    They will be replaced with pro Boris and pro Boris Deal candidates
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I said he would resign rather than request extension, he did not request an extension, just forwarded on an unsigned copy of the Benn Act with an attached letter opposing further extension.

As the weekend polls with 10%+ Tory leads show, Leavers are happy Boris did not request an extension and blame it on Remainer MPs instead
    Just as a matter of interest, did Boris Johnson secure an extension for the UK leaving the EU, or are we departing on Thursday?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    rcs1000 said:

Only Richmond Park is a lock, but I think they'll win that by 5,000 votes or more.

Sutton & Cheam is possible, but a difficult ask. I think coming from third in Putney, etc., will be tough for them.
    Robert as I said last week it's their candidate that will stop them in S&C.
    Considering they have held the council for 35 years you would have thought they could have got a local candidate to stand..but no.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:

How does his poll lead compare with Theresa May's when she called an election with Opposition help two years ago? And he has the same aim too (albeit she actually had a majority): winning some seats so as to achieve success with a Tory Brexit. If I were a Tory I wouldn't be anywhere near as optimistic as many Tories are.
    The LDs are polling higher and Labour are polling lower compared to March 2017, the Tories thus win more seats on same voteshare with Remain vote split.

Plus there will be no dementia tax disaster under Boris but a populist tax cut and more money for NHS platform
  • Options
    The middle of the Labour buy/sell point indicates Labour's average is to be expecting their worst result since 1935.

After a decade of Tory government Labour could get their worst result since before WWII.

I wonder why Labour are terrified of going to the polls?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Macron?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

My insight here is second-hand but I would not be surprised if you are right about Putney and Battersea. Wimbledon is really interesting with the LDs storming Merton in the Euros and council elections, and the deselected Stephen Hammond MP not having declared his intentions to my knowledge. One to watch.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Just as a matter of interest, did Boris Johnson secure an extension for the UK leaving the EU, or are we departing on Thursday?
    MPs in Parliament secured an extension, they didn't need Boris to get it for them.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

We'll be going through all this again next June, when Boris requests the extension to the transition period...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think the Tories will hold Sutton and Cheam (which voted Leave) but might lose heavily Remain Cities of London and Westminster
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yup I agree with that.Wimbledon will be v interesting.Huge remainer vote and unclear what Hammond is doing but Labour won it in 97 and held in 2001. Where will the remainer votes go?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Apparently the "People's" vote campaign is in a civil war between control of the thing going to financial PR multimillionaire Roland Rudd or venture capitalist multimillionaire Stephen Dawson.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/27/peoples-vote-campaign-civil-war-struggle-strategy-splinter-group

In an effort to show they are the more populist side, Dawson's faction are calling Rudd's group "the Kensington splinter" and will put man of the people Michael Heseltine in charge.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MPs in Parliament secured an extension, they didn't need Boris to get it for them.
    I know, I'm just teasing @HYUFD
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

The middle of the Labour buy/sell point indicates Labour's average is to be expecting their worst result since 1935.

After a decade of Tory government Labour could get their worst result since before WWII.

Don’t count those chickens quite yet. :p
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited October 2019
    Why are people still talking about votes for 16 year olds being added to any election bill when it was announced at the weekend it would take at least 6 months to sort out?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Why are people still talking about votes for 16 year olds being added to any election bill when it was announced at the weekend it would take at least 6 months to sort out?

All some people can think about is gerrymandering. ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Macron?
    We get a GE likely voted for this week, one of Macron's requirements not to veto further extension
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm not counting anything, I'm just wondering why anyone isn't saying that is an amazing buy?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    My occasional and annoying reminder that I said we would not leave the EU.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    tpfkar said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You're probably right.
    Interesting local insight - I know it was only a narrow loss in 2017 but I have reason to think the LDs will be closer to 100 seats than 50 if they get Ceredigion back.
    I'd say Ceredigion is highly unusual with two Universities in a seat with a small electorate. I'd hesitate to draw any conclusions from such an oddity.

The LibDems held Ceredigion in 2015, and they only won 8 seats. 8 << 100.
  • Options
    So the FTPA has worked out absolutely brilliantly hasn't it.

• Options
    I keep saying it but why is Nigel Farage so quiet? Nothing from him in the Brexit supporting media. No tweets on his Twitter today. I smell a rat! What is he and TBP upto? You would expect Farage to be going hell for leather on the day an extension is agreed in normal circumstances...
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Cardiff West last time had Plaid in third with less than 10% of the vote, and Labour with 56%. .

Wonder whether Ceredigion is a seat where the LibDems would be worried about the students at Aberwystwth going home for Christmas.
  • Options
    Dec poll drifting down on BF every time I check on it.

I was very sure we would have one in November. Annoying. Just about scrambled back to a mildly red position, but loses covered by a reasonable overall bet on a 2019 GE.
  • Options

I keep saying it but why is Nigel Farage so quiet? Nothing from him in the Brexit supporting media. No tweets on his Twitter today. I smell a rat! What is he and TBP upto? You would expect Farage to be going hell for leather on the day an extension is agreed in normal circumstances...

He was demanding that we don't leave on 31st October last week so there's not much for him to say as he's got what he wants?
  • Options
    On topic, I don't agree with OGH here.

There is a small (but real) chance that the LDs significantly outperform expectations, and therefore the seat spread has to be above the midpoint. Still, I'd have my midpoint for then in the mid 20s, and the spread perhaps closer to 30. At 40-45, they're a clear sell.

The BXP risk is that either (a) they take off, or (b) there's a BXP-Con pact. Both are unlikely. Still, the 3x your stake maximum win isn't very appealing. It's pennies in front of a bulldozer time.

PC looks likely to lose Ceridigion, so that doesn't like a great call either. And I suspec the best you'll manage with the Green bet is flat.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Cardiff West last time had Plaid in third with less than 10% of the vote, and Labour with 56%. .

Wonder whether Ceredigion is a seat where the LibDems would be worried about the students at Aberwystwth going home for Christmas.
    I understand that, but the Assembly election in Cardiff West in 2016 was much closer.

Labour 11,381
    Plaid Cymru 10,205

That is why it is a Plaid Cymru target seat.
  • Options

RobD said:

I'm not counting anything, I'm just wondering why anyone isn't saying that is an amazing buy?
    I'd probably be a small buyer of Con and Lab on these spreads.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He was demanding that we don't leave on 31st October last week so there's not much for him to say as he's got what he wants?
    Not so sure as he gets away with shifting position by the day...
  • Options

Perhaps he has finally realised that the only way to get Brexit is for brexiteers to vote Tory en masse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

I think the Tories will hold Sutton and Cheam (which voted Leave) but might lose heavily Remain Cities of London and Westminster
    I wonder how much ill-will there is towards Chuka from Labour activists/voters in Cities of London and Westminster.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

People have complained for years that the BBC have been too quick to have him on all the time. They seem to have decided that one Brexit supporting buffoon (ie Johnson) fulfils the quota for balance, or they are following the lead of the right-wing press who have frozen him out for now.

It is an interesting example of how important media access is.

Although I felt that he was given too much attention in the past I'm uneasy at how suddenly that's now been reversed.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329
    I think spread betting is a mug’s game.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    rcs1000 said:

There is a small (but real) chance that the LDs significantly outperform expectations, and therefore the seat spread has to be above the midpoint.

You might as well say there's a chance they will underperform expectations, and therefore you should sell. The question is whether expectations are too high, too low or just right.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    HYUFD said:

It was the most high profile, unconditional, personal political promise made by a British politician in living memory and he broke it. Yet, I agree, he appears to be getting away with it at this point. This is why IMO the Benn Act was a mistake - it provided an excuse for him to hide behind - and why a 2019 election is an even bigger mistake. Much better - if the objective is to spike the Boris Johnson project - to fight the Deal and block a GE, trap him, take the impasse into the spring of 2020, see how the public feel then about a PM who has lamentably failed to meet his pledge to get Brexit done by a date that is now well in the past, has refused to resign, and seems to be serving no useful purpose.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

People have complained for years that the BBC have been too quick to have him on all the time. They seem to have decided that one Brexit supporting buffoon (ie Johnson) fulfils the quota for balance, or they are following the lead of the right-wing press who have frozen him out for now.

It is an interesting example of how important media access is.

Although I felt that he was given too much attention in the past I'm uneasy at how suddenly that's now been reversed.
    It's not been reversed. I'm sure the networks are seeking him out. If he was putting himself up for interview they'd be in like Flynn.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If we leave at 1am on New Year’s Day I win a bet I placed with Ladbrokes almost two years ago.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Opposition MPs seem convinced that Boris will be brutally punished by Leave voters for this delay beyond 31st October 2019.

Heaven knows why, except they’re believing their own prejudices about Leave voters being as stupid as they caricature them as being.

I think they’ve got this badly wrong.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If we leave at 1am on New Year’s Day I win a bet I placed with Ladbrokes almost two years ago.
    Why would we leave at 1am?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There is a small (but real) chance that the LDs significantly outperform expectations, and therefore the seat spread has to be above the midpoint. Still, I'd have my midpoint for then in the mid 20s, and the spread perhaps closer to 30. At 40-45, they're a clear sell.

The BXP risk is that either (a) they take off, or (b) there's a BXP-Con pact. Both are unlikely. Still, the 3x your stake maximum win isn't very appealing. It's pennies in front of a bulldozer time.

PC looks likely to lose Ceridigion, so that doesn't like a great call either. And I suspec the best you'll manage with the Green bet is flat.

But apart from all that - quite shrewd?
    :smile:
  • Options
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

There is a small (but real) chance that the LDs significantly outperform expectations, and therefore the seat spread has to be above the midpoint.

You might as well say there's a chance they will underperform expectations, and therefore you should sell. The question is whether expectations are too high, too low or just right.
    OGH bets on the Liberal Democrats with his heart, and not his head, so you always need to put his tips through that heavy filter.

That’s not the same as him always being wrong, mind.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Someone had a few drinks and forgot to push the "exit" button?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

So I can win my bet.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1188796819687559169

Labour can lay as many amendments as they like. If Con + Lib-Dems + SNP don't vote for the amendments they're just pointless.
  • Options

So what positions have you got on?
  • Options

I have not detected much in the media today from Farage. That is interesting as he and TBP might be in cahoots with BJ. If the TBP and Tories have some sort of electoral pact, then, half a dozen safe Tory seats who have had their MPs whip withdrawn are up for grabs. Would BJ do a deal?

Tories will not do any deal that means standing candidates down in favour of BXP candidates. Any discussion between BJ and NF would be about persuading NF not to spoil the Tory vote.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Aberwhat?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Labour can lay as many amendments as they like. If Con + Lib-Dems + SNP don't vote for the amendments they're just pointless.

That was my thought. Even without the DUP or any of the Independents, those three parties command a majority of about 40 between them.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think your take is pretty good, except that I'm more bullish on the LibDems than you are.

On the two big parties I'd tentatively have the Conservatives as a buy on the current prices; I think Boris will get his majority and possibly quite a big one, given Labour's current disarray, mixed messages, and voter-repellent leader, and the charmingly naive support of Boris by Leavers.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    (FPT)

Mr. B, Verstappen's been driving well for almost the whole year. The race was bad, but also a bit unlucky. The previous encounter (Leclerc) wasn't Verstappen's fault.

I don't think luck had anything to do with it, MD.

He threw away a guaranteed pole position by ignoring the yellow flags, and compounded that by his comments afterwards.

In the race, the attempt to force Hamilton onto the grass at the start wasn't smart either - it could have finished both their races, and he ought to have learned by now that his competitors no longer back out when he tries intimidatory driving.
    The pass on Bottas was even more foolish. It was a classic piece of Verstappen driving, being both brilliant and an ill-considered risk; he could have passed easily using DRS on the following straight.
    In summary, he threw away a certain pole and a probable win.

And has been outscored by Albon since he joined the team.
  • Options
    Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

That was my thought. Even without the DUP or any of the Independents, those three parties command a majority of about 40 between them.
    A periodic reminder that Labour can't get close to governing without the scottish seats.
  • Options
    Read this in an attempt to cheer myself up -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/28/polls-labour-win-general-election

Which it did.

But not much.
  • Options

None. I’ve had my fingers burnt twice before.

I also don’t like how little control you have. They take the markets down regularly and often when you most need them.
  • Options

PaulM said:

I understand that, but the Assembly election in Cardiff West in 2016 was much closer.

Labour 11,381
    Plaid Cymru 10,205

Wouldn't that suggest it was also a target seat in 2017 ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Opposition MPs seem convinced that Boris will be brutally punished by Leave voters for this delay beyond 31st October 2019.

Heaven knows why, except they’re believing their own prejudices about Leave voters being as stupid as they caricature them as being.

I think they’ve got this badly wrong.
    There are certainly plenty of Brexiters on Twitter who aren't going to vote for Boris.

I think what might help the Remainers is to guarantee that No Deal would be an option on any 2nd referendum - this would make it easier for Brexiters to vote against Boris.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

It was the most high profile, unconditional, personal political promise made by a British politician in living memory and he broke it. Yet, I agree, he appears to be getting away with it at this point. This is why IMO the Benn Act was a mistake - it provided an excuse for him to hide behind - and why a 2019 election is an even bigger mistake. Much better - if the objective is to spike the Boris Johnson project - to fight the Deal and block a GE, trap him, take the impasse into the spring of 2020, see how the public feel then about a PM who has lamentably failed to meet his pledge to get Brexit done by a date that is now well in the past, has refused to resign, and seems to be serving no useful purpose.
    It is this sort of childish fricking games that makes people so angry at politicians. The whole strategy of the Remain opposition is to keep a major international negotiation in stasis for another four months and counting, purely to try to electorally hurt your political rivals. It is pathetic and deplorable.

Remainers had a credible case for delay when we were staring down No Deal. But Boris did his part and got a deal that clearly can get the support of parliament as long as there's not game playing. If the only reason there is a further delay is game playing by the anti-Boris factions, then people will rightly blame them and not him.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

PaulM said:

Aberwhat?
    Haha. John Redwood moment for me. You know where I meant :)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I wonder whether Labour will end their misery and vote for an election today, rather than waiting for the LDs and SNP to do it for them tomorrow.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I've never tried it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,275
    Mike’s bets are brave, given the uncertainty swirling around an election, its timing and circumstances.

In particular, although I think there will be a Remain alliance, it is hard to discern where the seats are that the Greens might win on the back of a Remain tide. Their Norwich target is one, and the Bristol seat another, if the LibDems let them fight it despite previously holding it. Otherwise, where? The seat the Greens want to fight is the IOW, but neither the Greens nor LibDems have much strength there and in a Remain v leave election I would expect the Tory leaver to win it. So that puts the Greens on a 1-3 range.

The counterargument would be if the Greens get to take on Labour in a chunk of Remain seats AND there’s a massive anti-Labour swing in the capital.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

I wonder whether Labour will end their misery and vote for an election today, rather than waiting for the LDs and SNP to do it for them tomorrow.

They've managed to get themselves into a position where they will look ridiculous whatever they do.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

None. I’ve had my fingers burnt twice before.

I also don’t like how little control you have. They take the markets down regularly and often when you most need them.
    Also the spreads themselves on the smaller parties are too wide.
    The LDs being 40-45 means the spread is 12% wide..so it has to move by that amount for you to be able to trade
  • Options
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

I guess I wasn't being very articulate.

What I was trying to say was that there's perhaps a 5% chance they get 100 seats plus. When you are working out the right price for the spread, you should do it something like this:

1% chance of 300 seats
    5% chance of 100 seats
    15% chance of 60 seats
    5% chance of 5 seats

etc.

And then you add it all up. This means that the most likely (or even the fiftieth percentile) seat number could be very different from the right price for the spread.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited October 2019

Now that's an example of good head-over-heart betting.

At least, I think it is :smiley:

My view on this is that the Labour vote will not implode as much as some seem to think it will.

p.s. I think I slightly misread your post. I thought you were saying it should be better value?

Labour 200-249 Ladbrokes 15/8
    Labour 250-299 Ladbrokes 5/1

Those two look like good bets to me.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    PaulM said:

PaulM said:

Labour 11,381
    Plaid Cymru 10,205

Wouldn't that suggest it was also a target seat in 2017 ?
    I am not trying to make any judgment, other than simply reporting what Plaid Cymru *think* their target seats are, and noting that Plaid Cymru are in disarray in all of them.

In Cardiff West, the candidate who did so well is currently suspended.

In Ynys Mon, there is an argument over a candidate who was parachuted in by the leadership. In Llanelli, there are suspensions, and a splinter nationalist candidate standing.

And so, as a public service, I am suggesting out that OGH should not be buying PC at 4.5 on the spreads.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

What I was trying to say was that there's perhaps a 5% chance they get 100 seats plus. When you are working out the right price for the spread, you should do it something like this:

1% chance of 300 seats
    5% chance of 100 seats
    15% chance of 60 seats
    5% chance of 5 seats

etc.

And then you add it all up. This means that the most likely (or even the fiftieth percentile) seat number could be very different from the right price for the spread.
    So you're thinking in terms of "expectations" being perhaps the mode or the median, whereas the correct answer is the mean?

I agree the correct answer is the mean, but is there any reason to think the spreads don't already reflect that?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited October 2019
    Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

It is this sort of childish fricking games that makes people so angry at politicians. The whole strategy of the Remain opposition is to keep a major international negotiation in stasis for another four months and counting, purely to try to electorally hurt your political rivals. It is pathetic and deplorable.

Remainers had a credible case for delay when we were staring down No Deal. But Boris did his part and got a deal that clearly can get the support of parliament as long as there's not game playing. If the only reason there is a further delay is game playing by the anti-Boris factions, then people will rightly blame them and not him.
    It was a Tory deal. Labour want a Labour deal. That is what Labour is there to do - agitate to become the government that makes the deals. They are not there to rubber stamp deals made by the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The SNP might find it difficult to oppose votes at 16.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,275

So the FTPA has worked out absolutely brilliantly hasn't it.

Certainly better than handing all that power and discretion to a rogue PM.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

1% chance of 300 seats
    5% chance of 100 seats
    15% chance of 60 seats
    5% chance of 5 seats

etc.

Am I thinking you are on your hols/work in the UK given this nocturnal posting?
This discussion has been closed.