Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LDs seem to be spending big in a seat where they lost thei

123457»

Comments

• eggegg Posts: 1,749
    HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Newsnight saying GE chances have receded tonight.

Like many things its not the decision itself that is most annoying, its the yes no maybe failure to even make a decision which is galling.
    No - Boris brings his WAIB back and it passes with labour mps scared of an election
    So what does Boris do next week?

On the plus side, he won’t be dead. As blofeld said, you only live twice Mr Bond.

But this weeks tactic starts to rebound next week? Opposition saying where’s the budget the nation needs, you’ve passed a queens speech, you got thirty majority for WAB where is it might start to hit home.

In the game of snooker someone is snookered. A shot or two later the other sides snookered?
    The opposition voted against the WAB (the backbenchers who voted against it want to add a CU anyway) and the opposition would vote against the Queen's Speech too
    But Boris has to start governing properly again next week? Even those voting for WAB of all colours now say where is it. The calls from outside politics for a budget will grow too.

If he don’t win the game of snookers this week, the last chance for GE this year or even this winter he has to concede the frame and move on next week surely or end up snookered himself?
    Move on to what? No, he will keep pressing a GE day in, day out until it gets delivered.

The WAB was offered, MPs just voted to amend it out of existence.

Meanwhile a Leavers rally is planned for Westminster on Thursday and may well turn violent
    But we can’t have a late December or January election (campaigning over Christmas) surely? And once this week, the last chance for early December election is gone, it will backlash on government if they don’t bring back the WAB and have a budget, don’t you think? Surely you must expect backlash if government continues on strike?
    No, I expect further backlash against MPs for refusing to deliver Brexit.

The anger is only starting to simmer to the boil
    What a depressing tone to send us off to bed with ☹️

But it’s a shit brexit deal, why do we have to support it under threat of violence 🙁
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

HYUFD said:

Not ramping but it is possible, if MPs refuse to deliver Brexit as a majority of voters voted for and refuse to enable a GE then inevitably some may well turn to violence and rioting as an alternative

We demand an election, but on the date our guy specified and not your proposed date 3 days earlier, otherwise we will fucking BURN THIS CITY DOWN
    Do not be daft. That is not the British way. Send a Gunboat!
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Watching @HYUFD justify Boris’s failure is very entertaining.

There is no failure from Boris, just delayed success.

Brexit WILL be delivered
    You also said that Brexit would be delivered by Oct 31st.
    No I did not, I said Boris would refuse to request an extension, which he did whatever Parliament requested.

The fight goes on as this current Parliament will never deliver Brexit so an election it has to be to replace it
    He sent a letter requesting an extension

MLP would have refused a Brexit extension
    No he forwarded Parliament's extension request, he refused extension himself
    OK on 19/10 you said 'And macron will then veto further extension if the Commons has not voted for a deal by then end of the week'

So do you agree that you were wrong?
    No as I have also said Macron would not veto extension if a GE was voted for or EUref2

I quoted your entire post!
    No, you selectively quoted one post while completely ignoring all the others and the context in which it was placed as you have your own ideological agenda
    I think you need to go and read it. Maybe you can post it again together with the post you were replying to for all of us to see. Go on. Not selective at all. Just a matter of fact. Go on have a look and post the whole thing here.

Nothing to do with ideological agenda as you well know. My objection as I have repeated before is your insistence on posting as facts future events that can not be known by anyone. Predictions are fine. It is one of the things that makes this site great. That is not what you do.

And the fact that you can not accept you are ever wrong is just mind boggling.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Not ramping but it is possible, if MPs refuse to deliver Brexit as a majority of voters voted for and refuse to enable a GE then inevitably some may well turn to violence and rioting as an alternative

We demand an election, but on the date our guy specified and not your proposed date 3 days earlier, otherwise we will fucking BURN THIS CITY DOWN
    :grin:
    The California fires don’t seem to be abating.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50212582
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Newsnight saying GE chances have receded tonight.

Like many things its not the decision itself that is most annoying, its the yes no maybe failure to even make a decision which is galling.
    Sounds like SNP now backing out and LD wont go it alone.

What a clusterf*ck.

So we now waste the run-up to Xmas doing nothing, followed by another crisis in early Jan.
    No - Boris brings his WAIB back and it passes with labour mps scared of an election
    They won't pass it without adding a CU to it making it redundant as most Tory MPs will not then vote for it
    So what does Boris do next week?

On the plus side, he won’t be dead. As blofeld said, you only live twice Mr Bond.

But this weeks tactic starts to rebound next week? Opposition saying where’s the budget the nation needs, you’ve passed a queens speech, you got thirty majority for WAB where is it might start to hit home.

In the game of snooker someone is snookered. A shot or two later the other sides snookered?
    The opposition voted against the WAB (the backbenchers who voted against it want to add a CU anyway) and the opposition would vote against the Queen's Speech too
    But Boris has to start governing properly again next week? Even those voting for WAB of all colours now say where is it. The calls from outside politics for a budget will grow too.

If he don’t win the game of snookers this week, the last chance for GE this year or even this winter he has to concede the frame and move on next week surely or end up snookered himself?
    Move on to what? No, he will keep pressing a GE day in, day out until it gets delivered.

The WAB was offered, MPs just voted to amend it out of existence.

Meanwhile a Leavers rally is planned for Westminster on Thursday and may well turn violent
    But we can’t have a late Deke?
    No, I expect further backlash against MPs for refusing to deliver Brexit.

The anger is only starting to simmer to the boil
    Frothers will continue to froth. Who cares?
    A growing number it seems

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1187441735917539328?s=20
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Veuc and Vas both make sense.

Vas, because if we are trying to engage young people in politics and civic life, it makes sense to let them vote. They can already do so in Scotland.

Veuc, because there are 3 million EU citizens in the UK who have enriched the country greatly and who contribute hugely to our companies and public life.

So I’d back an election on Dec 12 with Vas and Veuc amendments.

If there's no VfmcD, then there's no way I'm supporting the bill.
    Votes for male clothing Designers?

Votes for money-creating Deities?

Votes for mongrel collared Dogs?

Votes for multiple company Directorships?
    Votes for my cat Diego.

I mean, come on, everybody knows this.
    I suppose you have another cat called "San"?
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Veuc and Vas both make sense.

Vas, because if we are trying to engage young people in politics and civic life, it makes sense to let them vote. They can already do so in Scotland.

Veuc, because there are 3 million EU citizens in the UK who have enriched the country greatly and who contribute hugely to our companies and public life.

So I’d back an election on Dec 12 with Vas and Veuc amendments.

If there's no VfmcD, then there's no way I'm supporting the bill.
    Votes for male clothing Designers?

Votes for money-creating Deities?

Votes for mongrel collared Dogs?

Votes for multiple company Directorships?
    Votes for my cat Diego.

I mean, come on, everybody knows this.
    How many ? Nine ?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

That was the fire that led to two families arriving at our house at 3am this morning. We're about 100 meters south of the mandatoru evacuation zone.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited October 2019
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Brexit WILL be delivered
    No I did not, I said Boris would refuse to request an extension, which he did whatever Parliament requested.

The fight goes on as this current Parliament will never deliver Brexit so an election it has to be to replace it

OK on 19/10 you said 'And macron will then veto further extension if the Commons has not voted for a deal by then end of the week'

No as I have also said Macron would not veto extension if a GE was voted for or EUref2

No, you selectively quoted one post while completely ignoring all the others and the context in which it was placed as you have your own ideological agenda
    I think you need to go and read it. Maybe you can post it again together with the post you were replying to for all of us to see. Go on. Not selective at all. Just a matter of fact. Go on have a look and post the whole thing here.

Nothing to do with ideological agenda as you well know. My objection as I have repeated before is your insistence on posting as facts future events that can not be known by anyone. Predictions are fine. It is one of the things that makes this site great. That is not what you do.

I say what I think, I do not give a toss what anyone thinks about what I say, least of all you.

If others wish to hedge themselves out of existence that is up to them
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

The SNP want to amend the bill to add V@16 and Veuc - the government won’t vote for that so we are an impasse. I think the SNP position is right: V@16 and Veuc are great ideas.

Credit if true.
    It’s completely incoherent. We are leaving the EU - why on earth would we want to give EU citizens the vote now?

And votes at 16 could be a good idea if things hadn’t been going the other way. You can’t be trusted to drink, smoke, drive or leave education, but you can certainly vote at 16. Don’t think so.

The prime reference for me is that you have to be 18 to stand in an election. Surely for a constitutional change like this there should be a consultation.
  • Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Rigging the electorate just a month before an election is despicable behavior. Anyone that does so in either direction clearly has contempt for the public on a scale similar to gerrymandering Republicans. If you want a change it should be done with a five delay so that our elections aren't a game to be messed with over current political arguments and existing polling.
  • SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    And if 16 year olds are adult enough to vote they are certainly adult enough to be treated as such by the criminal justice system.

And such a sudden and wide expansion of the franchise will require much more stringent voter ID checks to ensure the integrity of the democratic process.
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

That was the fire that led to two families arriving at our house at 3am this morning. We're about 100 meters south of the mandatoru evacuation zone.
    But you couldn’t find room for LeBron James ? :smile:

I hope it leaves you unscathed.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Brexit WILL be delivered

I say what I think, I do not give a toss what anyone thinks about what I say, least of all you.

If others wish to hedge themselves out of existence that is up to them
    If you dont care what others think then why do you never admit when you get it wrong? Unless you are omniscient you cannot get everything right .

You clearly care a great deal what others think or you would not be so sensitive about being accused of being wrong. That you lash out when it happens further demonstrates how much you care about your projected image.

The SNP want to amend the bill to add V@16 and Veuc - the government won’t vote for that so we are an impasse. I think the SNP position is right: V@16 and Veuc are great ideas.

Credit if true.
    It’s completely incoherent. We are leaving the EU - why on earth would we want to give EU citizens the vote now?

And votes at 16 could be a good idea if things hadn’t been going the other way. You can’t be trusted to drink, smoke, drive or leave education, but you can certainly vote at 16. Don’t think so.

The prime reference for me is that you have to be 18 to stand in an election. Surely for a constitutional change like this there should be a consultation.
    Of course there should be, but the SNP are immoral imbeciles that don't care how much they wreck the political culture of the country they wish to leave. If you can lower the age to 16 just before an election what is to stop a right wing majority increasing it to 25 at two weeks notice in the future?

I didn't think I could hold politicians in lower regard but they have achieved it tonight.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

Credit if true.

I really don't understand why we're not talking about raising the voting age.

Until you've paid three years of National Insurance contributions, why should you get the vote?
  • Having watched the Business statement from Rees-Mogg on tomorrow's Bill proceedings I wouldn't bet on the Government's programme motion passing. In this case where the explicit purpose of the bill is speed that's the same as blocking it. There seems to be considerable Tory alarm at not bringing the WAIB back. Also ominous was the complete no show by Lib Dem MPs and only a scattering of SNP ones.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited October 2019
    Issues around voting age and who can vote need proper consultation and not rushed through.

You can’t just add an amendment to a bill . There’s simply not the time to put that into practice anyway.

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    I'm starting to think maybe this whole thing just goes on and on until May, 2022.

* Does the WA pass? Possibly but probably not, the opposition can amend it to shit until it starts losing Tories.
    * Does the EU finally lose patience pull the plug? No, they always prefer a can kick to chaos, and the extensions are becoming progressively funnier.
    * Does parliament vote for an election? No, someone always stands to lose their job.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Thread on 'People's Vote' "Opportunities for Improvement" (sic):

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1188931898770415617?s=20
    Adonis & Grieve tying for "few know who they are, and those who do, don't like them....."
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Look where Corbyn is too....
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Hahaha! Osborne, Mandy, Camerion and Blair slightly more popular than Gerry Adams. :D
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    nico67 said:

Issues around voting age and who can vote need proper consultation and not rushed through.

You can’t just add an amendment to a bill . There’s simply not the time to put that into practice anyway.

Hopefully as @SunnyJim has said SNP will back down on the amendments and the government will chance the date from 12th Dec to another and we can all move forwards.
    edited October 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Hahaha! Osborne, Mandy, Camerion and Blair slightly more popular than Gerry Adams. :D
    Also further in the report, shows just how effective Vote Leave was in comparison:

The independent analysis used a traffic light system to compare People's Vote's governance, management and culture to Vote Leave

Out of 18 criteria, VL got 13 green lights

PV got zero greens and 12 reds

This report was commissioned *by People's Vote*"

mega lolz indeed!
    GIN1138 said:

By way of comparison, scrofula is mid-table.

Corbyn seems to be on the trend line.

"Corbyn is a Remain politician". Discuss.

GIN1138 said:

Also further in the report, shows just how effective Vote Leave was in comparison:

The independent analysis used a traffic light system to compare People's Vote's governance, management and culture to Vote Leave

mega lolz indeed!
    The report seems to have been funded by the Roland Rudd faction to take out his opponents.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited October 2019

Labour could be led by almost anyone else and 20 points ahead....

Well, actually, apart from all the other Labour leaders on the list, who also have similar or worse ratings...

It is almost as if being Labour leader and being attacked by the RW press constantly doesn't lend itself to high ratings, making replacing the leader for a different one on this basis when the RW press will just attack them a pointless exercise.
    GIN1138 said:

Possibly the older voters propping them up there, I think Gerry could beat them with the under 40's!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

GIN1138 said:

mega lolz indeed!
    Well they were outwitted by a bus.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    nico67 said:

Not true, you could do it in a single morning by visiting a school and getting year 11 and 12 to fill in voter registration form during morning registration
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Well, actually, apart from all the other Labour leaders on the list, who also have similar or worse ratings...

It is almost as if being Labour leader and being attacked by the RW press constantly doesn't lend itself to high ratings, making replacing the leader for a different one on this basis when the RW press will just attack them a pointless exercise.
    We don’t have a right wing press in this country. We have predominantly right wing newspapers but news consumption is generally away from them and leaving

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/116529/news-consumption-2018.pdf

Corbyn is unpopular because he is crap. He asked for an Election Day after day for two years. Did no one in labour think that at some point that might become a hostage to circumstance?

We don’t have a right wing press in this country. We have predominantly right wing newspapers but news consumption is generally away from them and leaving

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/116529/news-consumption-2018.pdf

Corbyn is unpopular because he is crap. He asked for an Election Day after day for two years. Did no one in labour think that at some point that might become a hostage to circumstance?
    The newspapers largely direct political coverage in this country. The next Labour leader will be crap in your eyes as well, there is no potential GE victory in a Labour leader appealing to you.
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    This looks like an old chart to me. Some names on there that haven't been around for donkey's years, and some newer names are missing.
    Vaz:

Sanction
    98. We have found that Mr Vaz acted in breach of paragraph 16 of the 2015 House of Commons Code of Conduct. By expressing willingness to purchase a Class A drug, cocaine, for others to use, thereby showing disregard for the law, and by failing to co-operate fully with the inquiry process, thereby showing disrespect for the House’s standards system, he has caused significant damage to the reputation and integrity of the House of Commons as a whole.

99. This is a very serious breach of the Code. We recommend that the House should suspend Mr Vaz from its service for six months.

100. We note that this suspension, if agreed by the House, will trigger the provisions of the Recall of MPs Act 2015 and require a recall petition to be opened in Mr Vaz’s constituency.

101. We further recommend that if Mr Vaz were to cease to be a Member of the House for whatever reason, he should not be eligible to be granted a former Member’s pass.

emphasis added

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201920/cmselect/cmstandards/93/93.pdf
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Dadge said:

This looks like an old chart to me. Some names on there that haven't been around for donkey's years, and some newer names are missing.
    The inclusion of Dugdale probably dates it between 2015 and 2017. I suspect it's pre-referendum and was used to prioritise who to put forward during the Remain campaign.

Dadge said:

The inclusion of Dugdale probably dates it between 2015 and 2017. I suspect it's pre-referendum and was used to prioritise who to put forward during the Remain campaign.
    3rd September 2019:

Dadge said:

The report it's from is not yet 2 months old.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

Dadge said:

3rd September 2019:

The report could still be using old data.
  • Vanilla still seems to be operating on the basis of BST.

OGH appears to be suggesting in the header to this thread, that there will be far less tactical voting in the forthcoming GE, i.e LibDem ->Lab, presumably including himself, which seems likely to ensure that the Bedford constituency will once again return to the Blue Team ... excellent, thanks Mike!
    Gabs2 said:

GIN1138 said:

mega lolz indeed!
    The report seems to have been funded by the Roland Rudd faction to take out his opponents.
    The report also criticised the campaign’s “chaotic governance” under Rudd's position as chair, warning that there was a potential for a conflict of interest between him being in charge of both People’s Vote and Open Britain, the principal pro-Remain campaign group.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/peoples-vote-leaked-report-bullying-cronyism

Dadge said:

3rd September 2019:

The report could still be using old data.
    An independent report commissioned by the People’s Vote campaign last month

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/peoples-vote-leaked-report-bullying-cronyism
  • OGH concludes his header by suggesting that "GE 2019 could produce some shock results". Judging by the tenor of his piece, I assume he means surprises on the upside for the LibDems. That depends, of course, on what one would classify as a "shock" in this context. It should be noted that Sporting Index's mid-spread for LibDem seats at the forthcoming election having peaked a few weeks ago at them winning 50 seats has since fallen somewhat to 42.5 seats (i.e. 40-45).
    Is he sufficiently confident to put his money where his mouth is and start buying LibDem seats with Sporting at 45 seats? Based on what he has told us so far, this is not the case ... I wonder why not?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

OGH concludes his header by suggesting that "GE 2019 could produce some shock results". Judging by the tenor of his piece, I assume he means surprises on the upside for the LibDems. That depends, of course, on what one would classify as a "shock" in this context. It should be noted that Sporting Index's mid-spread for LibDem seats at the forthcoming election having peaked a few weeks ago at them winning 50 seats has since fallen somewhat to 42.5 seats (i.e. 40-45).
    Is he sufficiently confident to put his money where his mouth is and start buying LibDem seats with Sporting at 45 seats? Based on what he has told us so far, this is not the case ... I wonder why not?

Putney and Wimbledon would be shock LD wins from the point of view of the last election, but no so much from what we're expecting as things stand right now.
  • AndyJS said:

OGH concludes his header by suggesting that "GE 2019 could produce some shock results". Judging by the tenor of his piece, I assume he means surprises on the upside for the LibDems. That depends, of course, on what one would classify as a "shock" in this context. It should be noted that Sporting Index's mid-spread for LibDem seats at the forthcoming election having peaked a few weeks ago at them winning 50 seats has since fallen somewhat to 42.5 seats (i.e. 40-45).

Putney and Wimbledon would be shock LD wins from the point of view of the last election, but no so much from what we're expecting as things stand right now.
    Should the Tories indeed lose Putney, either to Labour or the LibDems, this would represent a shocking indictment of the performance of the retiring M.P. Justine Greening, having already seen her majority collapse at the 2017 GE from 10,500 to barely 1,500 in which must rank as having been one of the most dismal Conservative performances in the land, despite the local Tory controlled Wandsworth Council continuing to maintain the UK's lowest Poll Tax rate.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Should the Tories indeed lose Putney, either to Labour or the LibDems, this would represent a shocking indictment of the performance of the retiring M.P. Justine Greening, having already seen her majority collapse at the 2017 GE from 10,500 to barely 1,500 in which must rank as having been one of the most dismal Conservative performances in the land, despite the local Tory controlled Wandsworth Council continuing to maintain the UK's lowest Poll Tax rate.
    Although she did gain the seat from Labour in 2005 and put the majority up a lot in 2010.

I can't see Labour winning the seat when their vote share in the polls is down from 41% at the last election to 24%. It'll be either Con or LD in my opinion.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    Hoping to see Vas and Veuc in the election bill.

I’m sure all PBers will agree that the time has come!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    They might have done Alastair Campbell the favour of extending the Y-axis down far enough.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    I got that leaflet too here in Ceredigion
This discussion has been closed.